PDA

View Full Version : Hampton- in negotiations with SoCon & CAA/A-10 teams for '07 Football Schedule

R.A.
January 10th, 2007, 08:53 PM
MEAC FOOTBALL SCHEDULE NOTES

Marty O'Brien
Daily Press

Hampton University has yet to finalize its 2007 schedule, but the Pirates definitely won't be playing a Division I-A next season. Coach Joe Taylor told me this week that the Pirates are negotiating with a Southern Conference team and an Atlantic 10 (Colonial Athletic Association next year) team for its third non-conference game.

The Pirates have already committed to play at Princeton and Winston-Salem out of conference in '07, along with their eight-game MEAC slate. So, Taylor is trying to get a Southern or A-10 team to visit Armstrong Stadium for the season-opener.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/local/colleges/blog/2007/01/hampton.html#comments

Mr. C
January 10th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Could the SoCon team that Hampton is negotiating with be Appalachian State?

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM
MEAC FOOTBALL SCHEDULE NOTES

Marty O'Brien
Daily Press

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/local/colleges/blog/2007/01/hampton.html#comments:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

appfan2008
January 10th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I would love to see Hampton come up here to the rock!

R.A.
January 10th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Coach Taylor is looking for a SoCon or CAA team to visit Armstrong and play Hampton at home. I doubt if the 2 Time National Champions will visit anyone if they don't have too, unless the price is high enough. Also, this is a reloading year for the Pirates, so I expect the team to be a midlevel SoCon or CAA program.

Mr. C
January 11th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I could see App State doing a home and home with Hampton, though the Mountaineers would probably have to have a game at home for 2007. They already play four of their seven SoCon games on the road.

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I'd love us to play at Hampton. Mr. C, I thought we were looking to play more away this year because of the stadium construction.

henfan
January 11th, 2007, 10:00 AM
It's certainly not Delaware. UD appears to have trouble finding room on its athletic schedules for HBCUs.:eyebrow: : smh : : smh :

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM
It's certainly not Delaware. UD appears to have trouble finding room on its athletic schedules for HBCUs.:eyebrow: : smh : : smh :
Had to get that in, didn't you? :rolleyes: :p

HIU 93
January 11th, 2007, 10:27 AM
This is a good thing. It is not necessary to schedule a I-A school. It is a good thing to do a home and home with FCS teams who want to do that. It can help with recruiting by being exposed to audiences in areas where you haven't had exposure before.

JDC325
January 11th, 2007, 11:02 AM
This is a good thing. It is not necessary to schedule a I-A school. It is a good thing to do a home and home with FCS teams who want to do that. It can help with recruiting by being exposed to audiences in areas where you haven't had exposure before.

Would love to see Hampton and all HBCU's step out more with broader OOC schedules. I applaud Hampton.:hurray:

HIU 93
January 11th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Would love to see Hampton and all HBCU's step out more with broader OOC schedules. I applaud Hampton.:hurray:

Y'all need to stop it with these "all HBCUs" comments. Unless you are listening to ALL the conversations from ALL football playing HBCUs (Div, I, Div. II, and NAIA) then you don't know what is being planned or scheduled.

JDC325
January 11th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Y'all need to stop it with these "all HBCUs" comments. Unless you are listening to ALL the conversations from ALL football playing HBCUs (Div, I, Div. II, and NAIA) then you don't know what is being planned or scheduled.

The FCS schools are really not known for powerhouse OOC schedules or supporting the playoffs. JMO though. Dont really care about the Div II or any other levels. Just saying Hampton APPEARS to more open than most in stepping out into the rest of the FCS world LATELY and I would love see all FCS HBCU's want to support and compete in the playoffs like Hampton has. I think it would be a good thing.

HIU 93
January 11th, 2007, 12:42 PM
The FCS schools are really not known for powerhouse OOC schedules or supporting the playoffs. JMO though. Dont really care about the Div II or any other levels. Just saying Hampton APPEARS to more open than most in stepping out into the rest of the FCS world LATELY and I would love see all FCS HBCU's want to support and compete in the playoffs like Hampton has. I think it would be a good thing.

Seeing as how I am privy to a little more information about Hampton than most people on AGS, I can tell you that your assumption about "lately" is incorrect. Hampton has been attempting to schedule a variety of schools and HAS been scheduling a variety of schools since we joined Div. I some 13 years ago. We currently have nine football playing schools in conference, so that leaves three non-conference games that we can play every year. This year they are Princeton, WSSU, and one to be determined. Last year they were Gram, WSSU, and Central State. If memory serves me correctly, about nine years agao we played SUU (not sure what conference), WIU (Gateway), and UNH (A-10) all in one season. Morgan is in our conference, and they have to play the same amount of conference games we do, but they play Towson (A-10) just about every year. Have you seen SCSU's schedule? They play Air Force (WAC) and Clemson (ACC) in '07. What is your point? It seems to me that we are playing who our schedule allows us to. Maybe the SOCON only has to play three or four conference games or something. Maybe that's why y'all can play seven or eight OOC games every year. You must be, because we play three every year, and since I have been on AGS, the majority of y'all keep saying we don't play anyone OOC.

andy7171
January 11th, 2007, 12:48 PM
It's true. Towson and Morgan State are only a couple miles apart. Before Morgan State decided to renew the local rivalry thing, we played Del State on a yearly basis. Del State plays a competitive OOC schedule as well.

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Seeing as how I am privy to a little more information about Hampton than most people on AGS, I can tell you that your assumption about "lately" is incorrect. Hampton has been attempting to schedule a variety of schools and HAS been scheduling a variety of schools since we joined Div. I some 13 years ago. We currently have nine football playing schools in conference, so that leaves three non-conference games that we can play every year. This year they are Princeton, WSSU, and one to be determined. Last year they were Gram, WSSU, and Central State. If memory serves me correctly, about nine years agao we played SUU (not sure what conference), WIU (Gateway), and UNH (A-10) all in one season. Morgan is in our conference, and they have to play the same amount of conference games we do, but they play Towson (A-10) just about every year. Have you seen SCSU's schedule? They play Air Force (WAC) and Clemson (ACC) in '07. What is your point? It seems to me that we are playing who our schedule allows us to. Maybe the SOCON only has to play three or four conference games or something. Maybe that's why y'all can play seven or eight OOC games every year. You must be, because we play three every year, and since I have been on AGS, the majority of y'all keep saying we don't play anyone OOC.
The SoCon has 7 conference games per season. :read:

HIU 93
January 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM
The SoCon has 7 conference games per season. :read:

I realize that, Iwas just showing your confernce brethren how silly he and a lot of these folk sound on here.

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I realize that, Iwas just showing your confernce brethren how silly he and a lot of these folk sound on here.
Gotcha

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 01:25 PM
since I have been on AGS, the majority of y'all keep saying we don't play anyone OOC.
:confused: Care to back up that accusation?

OL FU
January 11th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I would love for it to be Furman but we are booked

OOC = PC, CCU, Hofstra and some tiger team down the road.

Maybe soon though:thumbsup:

ATrain
January 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Any chance Hampton would do a home-and-home with Liberty? I know we're Big South and all, but we do need 2 games for next year still.

JDC325
January 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Your own brethren have tried to even make the case why OOC is not important. The thread in on here I know and I know the SoCon has not seen alot of good HBCU's. I would love to see a GSU vs. GSU. Anyway, I dont know who Y'all is but I have debated with a few SWAC'ers on their poor record vs. OOC and question why they dont put their money where their mouth is like Machivelli since they continue to claim they are the best thing since sliced bread but yet to prove it in the playoffs. Lately is a relative term your talking about one season NINE years ago? Take it easy man all I was trying to say is it is nice to see you were looking to play against the heavy weights OOC and not just some patsy or DIV II.

R.A.
January 11th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Man, lets not turn this into a big thing here about HBCU's and scheduling. Lets just try and figure out what SoCon or CAA school Hampton is about to have come to Armstrong Stadium next season.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 11th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Man, lets not turn this into a big thing here about HBCU's and scheduling. Lets just try and figure out what SoCon or CAA school Hampton is about to have come to Armstrong Stadium next season.

Thank you!

appfan2008
January 12th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I say APP can go to Hampton next year due to construction and then they can come to the rock in '08... sounds great to me!

Bulldog87
January 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM
SCSU has played Furman,Ga Southern,Citadel,App State,Eastern Kentucky,CCU,Wofford,Newberry,Presbyterian and Charleston Southern in regular season games. We have Air Force and S.Carolina this year and future games with Ga Tech and Clemson. I'ts just a matter of scheduling. I still wish that a Citadel fan would explain why everytime we play them it has to be at Johnson Hagood?

blur2005
January 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Perhaps JMU and Hampton were able to work out the scheduling this time, since they failed last year.

HIU 93
January 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Any chance Hampton would do a home-and-home with Liberty? I know we're Big South and all, but we do need 2 games for next year still.

It's been done before (late 90's I believe), have your AD call Joe Taylor.

HIU 93
January 12th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Our schedule traditionally comes out late. I can say that I know for sure that unofficial stalks have taken place between us and the Champs and us and JMU.

appsfan
January 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Keep us posted as the talks continue...

eaglesrthe1
January 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
SCSU has played Furman,Ga Southern,Citadel,App State,Eastern Kentucky,CCU,Wofford,Newberry,Presbyterian and Charleston Southern in regular season games. We have Air Force and S.Carolina this year and future games with Ga Tech and Clemson. I'ts just a matter of scheduling. I still wish that a Citadel fan would explain why everytime we play them it has to be at Johnson Hagood?

I wish that GSU would schedule home- home games with SCSU on a regular basis. Both teams have good attendance, good programs...both travel well, and they are only a few hours apart. What more could you ask for? It makes so much sense...which is why it probably doesn't happen.:cool:

SoCon48
January 12th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Hampton and App for a home and home series? Sounds good. A four year series would be a good start.

R.A.
January 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I thought JMU has their out of conference schedule done already for the next couple of years?

SeattleGriz
January 13th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Just want to give props to Hampton for trying to schedule outside of their conference. It only helps to decide who belongs in the tourney.

Great job Hampton!!

th0m
January 13th, 2007, 06:45 AM
I thought JMU has their out of conference schedule done already for the next couple of years?

Yep. '07, '08 and '09 are all set. Unless by '09 the 12-game season is finally approved ;)

Too bad really. I'd like us to play you guys. I know the negotiations didn't work out last year.

R.A.
January 13th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Yep. '07, '08 and '09 are all set. Unless by '09 the 12-game season is finally approved ;)

Too bad really. I'd like us to play you guys. I know the negotiations didn't work out last year.

I'm a Howard University Bison alum. I'm not sure whether JMU or Howard have shown interest in playing each other. You must be referring to the fake H(I)U down in the Hampton area :D .

AppMan
January 14th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Could the SoCon team that Hampton is negotiating with be Appalachian State?

Yep!

th0m
January 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I'm a Howard University Bison alum. I'm not sure whether JMU or Howard have shown interest in playing each other. You must be referring to the fake H(I)U down in the Hampton area :D .

I was referring to Hampton, but Howard and JMU haven't ever met, so that could be a great matchup as well!

I know you are Howard alum, but figured you'd assume I was talking about the 'fake' HU since that's what the thread was about ;)

AZGrizFan
January 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM

In my opinion, 93, it's not your OOC schedule that's necessarily hurting you, but your IN CONFERENCE schedule strength. :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Eyes of Old Main
January 14th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Wofford has played SCSU (home & home) and NC A&T (2003 playoffs) in the last few years and all the games were well attended and most were very competitive. I would applaud future scheduling between Wofford and these, or any other MEAC or SWAC teams.

R.A.
January 15th, 2007, 03:37 AM
I was referring to Hampton, but Howard and JMU haven't ever met, so that could be a great matchup as well!

I know you are Howard alum, but figured you'd assume I was talking about the 'fake' HU since that's what the thread was about ;)

I felt the need to redeem myself, for starting a thread about our rivals :D

R.A.
January 15th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Wofford has played SCSU (home & home) and NC A&T (2003 playoffs) in the last few years and all the games were well attended and most were very competitive. I would applaud future scheduling between Wofford and these, or any other MEAC or SWAC teams.

SCSU Bulldogs should continue scheduling Wofford, Coastal Carolina, and work towards getting Furman and Georgia Southern back on their schedule. Right now, they are looking at scheduling at least one I-A/Bowl Championship Subdivison school each season... playing two in 2007 (Air Force and South Carolina).

But if South Carolina State's goal is to be the best I-AA/ Playoff Championship Subdivision team in the Nation, they should start by attempting to become the best one in their state. Besides, they played at Coastal and at Wofford in 2006, so if they were to play them in 2008, chances are the games would be played in Orangeburg, playing the Chantz and the Terriers at home would be more favorable to the Bulldogs.

Bulldog87
January 15th, 2007, 10:16 AM
SCSU Bulldogs should continue scheduling Wofford, Coastal Carolina, and work towards getting Furman and Georgia Southern back on their schedule. Right now, they are looking at scheduling at least one I-A/Bowl Championship Subdivison school each season... playing two in 2007 (Air Force and South Carolina).

But if South Carolina State's goal is to be the best I-AA/ Playoff Championship Subdivision team in the Nation, they should start by attempting to become the best one in their state. Besides, they played at Coastal and at Wofford in 2006, so if they were to play them in 2008, chances are the games would be played in Orangeburg, playing the Chantz and the Terriers at home would be more favorable to the Bulldogs.Wofford has won the last two games at BULLDOG stadium by 3 points and by 7 this year at their place. CCU won by 2 at SCSU and this year was a rout in Conway. STATE needs to win a few of these games period to keep the rivalry interesting.:nod:

HIU 93
January 15th, 2007, 02:09 PM
In my opinion, 93, it's not your OOC schedule that's necessarily hurting you, but your IN CONFERENCE schedule strength. :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

I don't think that hurts us, and even if it does, we can only play the teams that are in the conference.

HIU 93
January 15th, 2007, 02:26 PM

We'll see who's fake come football season. Can you say 12 in a row? You're no more of a football rival to us than UVa. We haven't ever played them, and we have beaten y'all eleven years in a row. In the words of the late great Godfather of Soul, "Don't start none, won't be none". xlolx

R.A.
January 15th, 2007, 09:36 PM
We'll see who's fake come football season. Can you say 12 in a row? You're no more of a football rival to us than UVa. We haven't ever played them, and we have beaten y'all eleven years in a row. In the words of the late great Godfather of Soul, "Don't start none, won't be none". xlolx

Howard's paid, dats all I gotta say... can't see ur lil school, our money's in da way... :D

lizrdgizrd
January 16th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Any word yet on which school they're talking with?

HIU 93
January 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Any word yet on which school they're talking with?

ASU is one of them.

lizrdgizrd
January 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM
ASU is one of them.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

HIU 93
January 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Howard's paid, dats all I gotta say... can't see ur lil school, our money's in da way... :D

You're right, your endowment is larger. Your football team still has about as much chance of beating us as a no-legged man has of winning a butt kicking contest.xlolx

lizrdgizrd
January 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM
your endowment is larger
I have a feeling we'll see this quote taken out of context somewhere soon! xlolx

HIU 93
January 16th, 2007, 10:28 AM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I would love to see it get done. ASU was obviously the best team in FCS this year and I would love to see what you guys have in '07. It will be interesting to see what we have in '07 with 90% of our offensive production graduating.

HIU 93
January 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I have a feeling we'll see this quote taken out of context somewhere soon! xlolx

Most likely.:smiley_wi

lizrdgizrd
January 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I would love to see it get done. ASU was obviously the best team in FCS this year and I would love to see what you guys have in '07. It will be interesting to see what we have in '07 with 90% of our offensive production graduating.
That might make for a serious hurting on your part. But you never know who'll step up.

HIU 93
January 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM
That might make for a serious hurting on your part. But you never know who'll step up.

We have some very good underclassmen and some decent recruits. We'll just have to see how they gel in '07.