PDA

View Full Version : So The SoCon Continues To Lag - NO Instant replay

SU DOG
October 26th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Sounds like the Commish wants it, and so do most of our fans, but not next year. Jeff Hartsell Charleston Post & Courier:

http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/socon-puts-off-instant-replay-until-at-least/article_c697afc6-9b9d-11e6-8bde-9b03fa69f574.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

SU DOG
October 26th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Apologies El Cid I didn't see your post in another thread in time.

ElCid
October 26th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Apologies El Cid I didn't see your post in another thread in time.

No, this topic deserves a thread of its own. As the only major power conference without it, this is big news. I understand that replay costs money, but geeze! I want to say that there is some other under the radar reason for not having it, but that is just the conspiracy theorist in me talking. I fin d it hard to believe that schools can't come up with the 20K'ish they are talking about.

Catamount87
October 26th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Like the fact that video coverage across the SoCon continues to be spotty. We definitely haven't exactly been the cream of the video production crop.

SU DOG
October 26th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Somebody correct me if this is wrong, but it is my understanding that the NCAA will not allow a Playoff game to be played in any stadium that does not provide instant replay. This would mean that even a seeded SoCon team without that feature could NOT host on their home field. To me, that seems SO unfair to the kids. I know that Samford's Seibert Stadium does NOT have that capability. A few SoCon schools might, as Finley Stadium probably does. Others?

Toby
October 26th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Somebody correct me if this is wrong, but it is my understanding that the NCAA will not allow a Playoff game to be played in any stadium that does not provide instant replay. This would mean that even a seeded SoCon team without that feature could NOT host on their home field. To me, that seems SO unfair to the kids. I know that Samford's Seibert Stadium does NOT have that capability. A few SoCon schools might, as Finley Stadium probably does. Others?

I don't know for sure that Mercer has it, but I can guarantee that President Underwood would buy it if needed. I've heard that he is one of those pushing hard for it as well. Heck, he would probably turn it into a fundraiser and collect enough money to be able to pay for the whole conference. It has been a touchy subject in Macon.

citdog
October 26th, 2016, 03:34 PM

I spoke with Iamarino this week for my radio show and asked the same question and he said "If it is one of the places that cannot accommodate the requirements in the press box a plywood room will be constructed on top of the press box and the school must provide the fiber and the NCAA provides the equipment and the official".

SU DOG
October 26th, 2016, 03:42 PM
THANK YOU SIR. That is certainly great information.

kdinva
October 26th, 2016, 07:14 PM
"If it is one of the places that cannot accommodate the requirements in the press box a plywood room will be constructed on top of the press box.....

VMI's press box was construced with only two broadcast booths (in 1989, no foresight). So now, with every home game broadcast via SoCon or ESPN3, the radio crew goes to the roof. Table and chairs, canvas roof cover, internet access so they can see the live stats....xsmhx

catamount man
October 26th, 2016, 09:16 PM
VMI's press box was construced with only two broadcast booths (in 1989, no foresight). So now, with every home game broadcast via SoCon or ESPN3, the radio crew goes to the roof. Table and chairs, canvas roof cover, internet access so they can see the live stats....xsmhx

This sounds like the contraption ESPN built for Tim Brando and his play by play guy back in 1988 when ESPN showed the WCU-ETSU game on a Thursday night in Cullowhee EXCEPT it was opposite the stands with the pressbox and YES, WCU back then only had one side of seats so to show the crowd, the folks at ESPN had to do some quick thinking. Reminded me of a glorified treehouse. LOL!

walliver
October 27th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I would like to know who the hold-outs are.

The SoCon distributed the $5 Million received when the scalawags left 3 years ago so all member schools could upgrade their video capabilities. Some of that money could easily have been applied to instant replay.

The worst thing is that PC and CSU both support replay.

Toby
October 27th, 2016, 05:11 PM
I would like to know who the hold-outs are.

The SoCon distributed the $5 Million received when the scalawags left 3 years ago so all member schools could upgrade their video capabilities. Some of that money could easily have been applied to instant replay.

The worst thing is that PC and CSU both support replay.

Maybe they are waiting for ETSU's new stadium????

CID1990
October 27th, 2016, 05:47 PM
The SoCon is poorly managed and the officiating is a symptom of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RootinFerDukes
October 28th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Trust me. You don't want or need instant replay. At the end of the day, all it does it slow the pace of the game down.

In the CAA, we have instant replay and still manage to botch obvious calls with clear video evidence to overturn the call. Therefore it just ends up being five to ten minutes of the fans time wasted for the same result.

ElCid
October 28th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Trust me. You don't want or need instant replay. At the end of the day, all it does it slow the pace of the game down.

In the CAA, we have instant replay and still manage to botch obvious calls with clear video evidence to overturn the call. Therefore it just ends up being five to ten minutes of the fans time wasted for the same result.

I take an extra few minutes to have the "chance" for them to get it right.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 28th, 2016, 11:40 AM

This a million times over. Morons operating instant replay is even worse than morons officiating football games.

You are better off without it.

RootinFerDukes
October 28th, 2016, 12:06 PM
The chance to get it right is nice. It's just that I'd prefer them to get it right 98% of the time and not the 50/50 that it currently appears to be.