PDA

View Full Version : BIG SOUTH Pick'em and Power Rankings - Week 9

BigSouthFan
October 24th, 2016, 11:07 AM
October 29th, 2016

Bucknell @ Charleston Southern - Bucknell continues to struggle, including a 3OT loss to SoCon bottom dweller VMI. Charleston Southern has it's swagger back after 21 days off, and rolls by at least 3 TD's in a rout. Even without Jamey Chadwell on the sideline, BUCS BY 24

Kennesaw State @ Monmouth - CSU showed Monmouth a glimpse of the triple option some weeks back, but Monmouth will still be searching for a conference win after this one. Kennesaw just put up 40+ points on GWU and may reach close to that mark again this week in another possibly high scoring affair, OWLS BY 14

Coastal Carolina @ Presbyterian - Struggles continue for PC and Henderson runs up, down, around, and through the Blue Hose defense. CHANTS BY 28

Gardner-Webb @Liberty - Liberty is undefeated in conference play, and keeps it that way against an improved GW team. May be closer than some think. FLAMES BY 10

WEEK 9 POWER RANKINGS

1. Charleston Southern (4-2) - No surprise here, Bucs are rolling and looking good doing it. Shaping up for a big matchup at Liberty in November for all of the conference marbles. I think they are still a clear favorite to win the Big South this year.

2. Liberty (4-3) - Still somewhat an unknown in my eyes, competition has either been REALLY GOOD or REALLY BAD, and all of their outcomes have been expected ones. Still, they are sitting at 2-0 in the conference and control their own destiny. Should go into the Charleston Southern game 4-0 in the conference.

3. Kennesaw State (5-2) - Big win over Gardner-Webb in a shootout. Loss to Liberty hurts their solo-title chances, but if they win out, they should have an opportunity to top CSU on the road in the season finale to secure a tie for the Big South.

4. Gardner-Webb (3-5) - Falls back to my 4th spot. Playing everyone close just can't find a way to secure W's in the end. Still a team that can catch some quality teams slipping.

5. Monmouth (4-4) - 0-2 in conference play. No real shot at a title this year even though there were high projections for them competing. Good chance they lose out and finish 4-7.

6. Presbyterian (2-5) - 2-9 finish very likely. Don't see them winning another game this year, sadly. Free conference win, anyone?

ex189
October 24th, 2016, 12:29 PM
October 29th, 2016

Bucknell @ Charleston Southern - CSU continues to roll. Lots of stuff to work on after the PC win. Too many penalties on special teams cost the BUCS plenty of field position. Korn is making the tough catches over the middle with Brown on the outside. Need this to continue to force teams to respect the pass. Running game is rocking and rolling with the QB's wanting to get in on the action now.

Kennesaw State @ Monmouth - Monmouth pulls a slight upset. No reason for making this pick but a hunch.

Coastal Carolina @ Presbyterian - Coastal will take out any frustration that they have on PC. Barely 100 yards of offense for the Blue Hose last week. Henderson didn't play last week but the Offense continued to move the football. Defenses is solid with 2 scores.

Gardner-Webb @Liberty - Liberty at home is tough to beat. Gearing up for the BUCS in a few weeks. Offense is finding its stride with the new QB throwing for over 300 yards.

Bucs2016
October 24th, 2016, 12:46 PM
This thing is all shaping up for one massive showdown in Lynchburg between CSU and Liberty. That place is gonna be rockin. Wish I could make the trip but I cant.

ex189
October 24th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Got my room reserved for the trip to Lynchburg but the BUCS have to take care of business first. Keep the eye on the prize.

JSUSoutherner
October 24th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Hoping Liberty wins it for the sake of strength of schedule. :D

ex189
October 24th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Hoping Liberty wins it for the sake of strength of schedule. :D

I hope we disappoint you

kdinva
October 24th, 2016, 07:21 PM
Monmouth 24; Kenny St. 22
Liberty 38; Gard-Webb 20
Chuck South 37; Bucknell 21
CCU 41; Presby 14

grizband
October 25th, 2016, 01:08 AM
Any chance Liberty can get an at large playoff bid, if they don't win the auto bid?

knucklehead
October 25th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Like everyone else....CSU, Kennesaw, CCU, Liberty. I'd love to have that showdown in Lynchburg too, but the Flames have to focus and get there first. I think we get it though.

If LU loses to CSU and Beats the Chickens, that makes 7-4 with no auto bid and I'd say no. Heck, we were 10-2 in 08 and got left out. Got to win the conference IMHO.

BigSouthFan
October 25th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Any chance Liberty can get an at large playoff bid, if they don't win the auto bid?

The way Liberty and CSU set up their schedules has basically set the Big South up to get 1 team in and that's the auto bid. Liberty has a better chance at 7-4 with 7 D1 wins than CSU would have at 7-3 with 6 D1 wins. Some would argue that CSU still has a better resume at 7-3 but either way it would have to be a really weak field for the conference runner-up to get in.

Bucs2016
October 25th, 2016, 01:09 PM
The way Liberty and CSU set up their schedules has basically set the Big South up to get 1 team in and that's the auto bid. Liberty has a better chance at 7-4 with 7 D1 wins than CSU would have at 7-3 with 6 D1 wins. Some would argue that CSU still has a better resume at 7-3 but either way it would have to be a really weak field for the conference runner-up to get in.

I agree. CSU has no shot at an at large. If we lost to LU we'd basically have one real quality win vs CCU. The NDSU overtime loss was an incredible effort but it's still a loss.

We must win out, period. Had we play Citadel again this year and beat em again...maybe we'd have a shot.

Irrelevant though. Must beat Liberty. Got Bucknell and GWU first.

FlamingHot
October 26th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Kennesaw St @ Monmouth - KSU by 3
Gardner-Webb @ Liberty - Liberty by 17
Bucknell @ Charleston Southern - CSU by 35
Coastal Carolina @ Presbyterian - CCU 28