PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Bracket

Pages : [1] 2

elcid96
October 23rd, 2016, 07:46 AM
College Sports Madness posted an updated Playoff Bracket today.

Big Sky, Southern, Colonial, and Missouri Valley poised to put in 4 teams each into the playoffs. Still some good games to play.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13684

van
October 23rd, 2016, 08:08 AM
guess no sense showing up for next week's game as Fordham is already penciled in, yeah right xcrazyx

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2016, 08:24 AM
I don't get what has him (and others) so enthralled with Wofford. Who have they beat to show that they're a playoff team? Taking The Citadel to OT doesn't cut it for me. They're not even in the last 4 in according to this guy. In my mind UND and Cal Poly are light years ahead of Wofford right now.

WrenFGun
October 23rd, 2016, 08:25 AM
Not a huge disagreement here, but IMO at this point wouldn't you have to take Weber State over a 4th team from the SoCon (Wofford?). If they lose to Chattanooga in a few weeks on the road, they won't have 7 DI wins. Weber is 5-2 and all those wins are DI. Same with UNH (5-3, all DI). Both are probably better choices, though neither have a nice win on their resume.

EIU/Ten State is a tough one, too -- EIU will have better wins and a H2H, but Ten State might finish at 8 or 9 DI wins.

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2016, 08:29 AM
Not a huge disagreement here, but IMO at this point wouldn't you have to take Weber State over a 4th team from the SoCon (Wofford?). If they lose to Chattanooga in a few weeks on the road, they won't have 7 DI wins. Weber is 5-2 and all those wins are DI. Same with UNH (5-3, all DI). Both are probably better choices, though neither have a nice win on their resume.

EIU/Ten State is a tough one, too -- EIU will have better wins and a H2H, but Ten State might finish at 8 or 9 DI wins.
True, unless EIU beats JSU next week they're toast as the best they can do is 7-4 with two horrible losses.

RootinFerDukes
October 23rd, 2016, 09:14 AM
IMO EIU and Wofford both just put themselves on the playoff bubble with their losses yesterday. I would say the OVC is a one bid conference right now and I'm having a hard time seeing more than 3 SoCon teams getting in. If that happens, its because the Big South remains a one bid conference and the CAA and MVFC don't have a strong #5 team either.

RabidRabbit
October 23rd, 2016, 09:36 AM
I'd be for this playoff slotting. Only way Jacks see Bison is in Frisco. Just for once, don't have a trip to Fargo on the path.

BTW, if Jacks win auto-bid, and unbeaten in MVFC play, look for them to be a top 4 seed.

SUUTbird
October 23rd, 2016, 09:43 AM
As of right now there are 5 teams in the Big Sky who have a shot at a playoff berth:

EWU:
-vs. Montana
-@ Cal Poly
-vs. Idaho State
-@ PSU

Worst case I could see the Eagles going is 2-2, regardless they'd be getting into the playoffs.

NORTH DAKOTA:
-vs. Weber State
-@ Northern Colorado
-vs. NAU

Huge game this week against Weber State that has playoff implications and both UNC and NAU aren't as terrible as people think. Worst case I see them still going 2-1 and getting into the playoffs.

CAL POLY
-@ Sac State
-vs. EWU
-@ Weber State
-vs UNC

Decently challenging schedule left where at worst I could see the Mustangs going 2-2. Would leave them at 7-4 but they would still get in thanks to a great OOC win at SDSU.

MONTANA:
-@ EWU
-vs. ISU
-@ UNC
-vs Montana State

Worst case for the Griz I see them going 2-2 as UNC aren't pushovers and their secondary being exposed is a good sign for EWU. Still a playoff team regardless if the worst should happen.

WEBER STATE:
-@ North Dakota
-vs. NAU
-vs. Cal Poly
-@ Idaho State

The Wildcats have to go 3-1 at the minimum to have a shot of getting in the playoffs which is a tall task considering their remaining schedule however worst case scenario I see them going 1-3 and out of playoff contention.

superman7515
October 23rd, 2016, 09:45 AM

Tennessee State has been playing pretty solid football. Lost 35-17 to Vanderbilt yesterday, but they had a 17-14 lead with 2 minutes left in the first half, the depth just wore them down in the second half of the game.

JSUSoutherner
October 23rd, 2016, 10:27 AM
Tennessee State has been playing pretty solid football. Lost 35-17 to Vanderbilt yesterday, but they had a 17-14 lead with 2 minutes left in the first half, the depth just wore them down in the second half of the game.
Plus, they have the benefit of not having to play is this year. I think EIU losing just solidified TSU a playoff spot if they can take care of business the rest of the way.

tomq04
October 23rd, 2016, 10:29 AM
As of right now there are 5 teams in the Big Sky who have a shot at a playoff berth:

EWU:
-vs. Montana
-@ Cal Poly
-vs. Idaho State
-@ PSU

Worst case I could see the Eagles going is 2-2, regardless they'd be getting into the playoffs.

NORTH DAKOTA:
-vs. Weber State
-@ Northern Colorado
-vs. NAU

Huge game this week against Weber State that has playoff implications and both UNC and NAU aren't as terrible as people think. Worst case I see them still going 2-1 and getting into the playoffs.

CAL POLY
-@ Sac State
-vs. EWU
-@ Weber State
-vs UNC

Decently challenging schedule left where at worst I could see the Mustangs going 2-2. Would leave them at 7-4 but they would still get in thanks to a great OOC win at SDSU.

MONTANA:
-@ EWU
-vs. ISU
-@ UNC
-vs Montana State

Worst case for the Griz I see them going 2-2 as UNC aren't pushovers and their secondary being exposed is a good sign for EWU. Still a playoff team regardless if the worst should happen.

WEBER STATE:
-@ North Dakota
-vs. NAU
-vs. Cal Poly
-@ Idaho State

The Wildcats have to go 3-1 at the minimum to have a shot of getting in the playoffs which is a tall task considering their remaining schedule however worst case scenario I see them going 1-3 and out of playoff contention.

Looking at this, the worst I see Montana doing is 3-1 losing to EWU next week and winning out the rest of the way and good momentum into the playoffs.
Weber is going to have a hard time doing better than 2-2, and I don't think that get's them in. Losing @ NoDak and Cal Poly.
Cal Poly should be good for 3 W's, I even think they pull the upset on EWU, although their pass defense seems suspect...
NoDak should be able to win out
EWU should be 3-1 and still have a seed.

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2016, 10:34 AM
Plus, they have the benefit of not having to play is this year. I think EIU losing just solidified TSU a playoff spot if they can take care of business the rest of the way.
Idk, I think EIU losing hurts TSU. The OVC isn't guaranteed a 2nd playoff team and unless EIU pulls off the upset against your boys next week I don't see any way EIU is a playoff team and what does it say about TSU, theoretically at 9-2, that they have 0 wins against playoff teams and they lost to the closest thing to a playoff team they played all season?

I'd agree though that at 9-2 TSU would probably be in but there's going to be plenty to debate there I think if they're going up against a 7-4 Samford/Wofford/Weber St/etc.

mainejeff
October 23rd, 2016, 10:59 AM
Beyond JMU and Richmond, the other CAA at-large teams are completely up in the air. Any 7-4 CAA team is likely in and that currently leaves Nova, Stony Brook, UNH and Maine fighting for an NCAA bid. Maine plays @ W&M next weekend and that will be a tough place to win but even if they trip up there they still have Nova, @ Stony Brook & UNH to end the season.

elcid96
October 23rd, 2016, 11:04 AM
SOCON gets four teams if each team has 7 FCS wins and if the only losses you have this year are to other playoff bound teams and an FBS opponent. I hear a lot of arguments for someone with a better record, but they have losses (sometimes more than one) against FCS teams that are not going to the playoffs. Therefore they are not a good candidate IMO.

I don't get what has him (and others) so enthralled with Wofford. Who have they beat to show that they're a playoff team? Taking The Citadel to OT doesn't cut it for me. They're not even in the last 4 in according to this guy. In my mind UND and Cal Poly are light years ahead of Wofford right now.

JSUSoutherner
October 23rd, 2016, 11:05 AM
Idk, I think EIU losing hurts TSU. The OVC isn't guaranteed a 2nd playoff team and unless EIU pulls off the upset against your boys next week I don't see any way EIU is a playoff team and what does it say about TSU, theoretically at 9-2, that they have 0 wins against playoff teams and they lost to the closest thing to a playoff team they played all season?

I'd agree though that at 9-2 TSU would probably be in but there's going to be plenty to debate there I think if they're going up against a 7-4 Samford/Wofford/Weber St/etc.
The way we are playing EIU may very well beat us.

and I don't think TSU's loss to EIU is that bad. EIU lost to Murray State in a game where Murray State played really well and EIU had 6 turnovers. 19 of MSU's points where directly from EIU, if EIU holds onto the ball AT ALL that game is a win.

Plus EIU's other losses outside of Murray aren't that bad, WIU was a blowout, yeah, but WIU is a pretty good ball club, they also have an FBS loss and a FBS win.

If they can hang with us they might still make it. They made it in at 7-4 last year and didn't have an FBS win.

I think though the bottom of the bracket is going to have a lot to do with how everyone else looks rather than how EIU looks so EIU might make it in because they don't don't looks as "meh" as this 7-4 team.

smilo
October 23rd, 2016, 11:10 AM
Beyond JMU and Richmond, the other CAA at-large teams are completely up in the air. Any 7-4 CAA team is likely in and that currently leaves Nova, Stony Brook, UNH and Maine fighting for an NCAA bid. Maine plays @ W&M next weekend and that will be a tough place to win but even if they trip up there they still have Nova, @ Stony Brook & UNH to end the season.

If we were to take Massey projections going forward (at least, as of last night), I think you wind up with Nova/UNH at 8 wins and SBU/Albany at 7. Maine lags behind, but they are very much in it...there are also exactly 24 teams with 8 wins if you project for all conferences (excepting Duquesne/Sacred Heart/NCAT/NCCU/any Pioneers), so there might not be enough leeway for a 5th CAA team with 7 wins like SBU/Albany over Tennessee State or Fordham if they can't get to 8. It could be a close call. Whoever the projected loser of the SUNY battle was, would do well to actually take it and get to 8 as the CAA's 5th team.

Lotta football still to be played however before we get there as they do match up with UNH too, and UNH would be dependent on the Maine game.

F'N Hawks
October 23rd, 2016, 12:21 PM
The way we are playing EIU may very well beat us.

and I don't think TSU's loss to EIU is that bad. EIU lost to Murray State in a game where Murray State played really well and EIU had 6 turnovers. 19 of MSU's points where directly from EIU, if EIU holds onto the ball AT ALL that game is a win.

Plus EIU's other losses outside of Murray aren't that bad, WIU was a blowout, yeah, but WIU is a pretty good ball club, they also have an FBS loss and a FBS win.

If they can hang with us they might still make it. They made it in at 7-4 last year and didn't have an FBS win.

I think though the bottom of the bracket is going to have a lot to do with how everyone else looks rather than how EIU looks so EIU might make it in because they don't don't looks as "meh" as this 7-4 team.

No, no, no. An FBS win and a horrible loss get you "first one's left out" ticket. That is what we were told last year.

That loss to ****ty Murray State sure as hell better be held against them in a BIG way this year.

RootinFerDukes
October 23rd, 2016, 12:23 PM
IMO an FBS win (except for maybe a ranked FBS win) is "cancelled out" by a bad loss (a team that doesn't finish with a winning record).

Gangtackle11
October 23rd, 2016, 12:37 PM
CAA Teams in contention besides Richmond & JMU (Massey prediction added)

Albany (4-3; 1-3)
vs. Elon (2-5) W
vs. Delaware (2-5) W
@ UNH (5-3) L
vs. Stony Brook (5-2) W
Analysis: The Great Danes should get past Elon & Delaware @ home. Will need a split in last 2 to get to 7-4. Looks to be a tall task because they have losses to contenders Maine & Villanova & if they lose to UNH and/or SB. They do have FBS win with Buffalo.
OUT.

Maine (4-3; 3-1)
@ William & Mary (3-4) W
Villanova (6-2) L
@ Stony Brook (5-2) L
UNH (5-3) L
Analysis: The Black Bears have a tough road to playoffs with a road game with competitive W&M and facing 3 CAA playoff contenders. I see a split and 6-5 record for the 1st year coach.
OUT.

UNH (5-3; 4-1)
vs. Stony Brook (5-2) W
vs. Albany (4-3) W
@ Maine (4-3) W
Analysis: The New England Wildcats play 3 contenders down the stretch. They haven't been overly impressive, but they are getting the job done. I say 2-1 or 3-0. AD represents the CAA on selection committee. That, their history & 7 wins will get them a spot.
IN

Stony Brook (5-2; 4-0)
@UNH (5-3) L
vs. William & Mary (3-4) W
vs. Maine (4-3) W
@ Albany (4-3) L
Analysis: Massey predictions play out than the Sea Wolves may be in trouble since they will have losses to UNH & Albany. They do have a nice win over UND. I say they beat either UNH or Albany and get to 8-3.
IN

Villanova (6-2; 4-1)
@Maine (4-3) W
James Madison (6-1) W
@ Delaware (2-5) W
Analysis: Massey has the Mid Atlantic 'Cats sweeping & that would make them 9-2 & maybe getting a bye. I say they go 2-1 with a split with Maine/JMU & a win over rival Delaware which will either be sky high or bags packed. I think bags packed.
IN

SUMMARY

CAA has a good shot of having 5 teams with 8+ wins. Richmond,JMU, Nova, SB (lose @ UNH/beat Albany) & UNH could all get to 8+.

elcid96
October 23rd, 2016, 12:41 PM
IMO an FBS win (except for maybe a ranked FBS win) is "cancelled out" by a bad loss (a team that doesn't finish with a winning record).

Ill second that motion.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 23rd, 2016, 12:47 PM
Fordham and Lehigh will be decided this week. Homerism aside, I have to think Lehigh is the betting favorite right now. They're playing at a Top 15 level. Lehigh has owned the series all-time, 22-5, but the Rams have won the last three. It will be a top level FCS atmosphere at Goodman this weekend. Fordham travels well...

The loser still has a shot. How good will depend upon the level of chaos...

JSUSoutherner
October 23rd, 2016, 12:48 PM
No, no, no. An FBS win and a horrible loss get you "first one's left out" ticket. That is what we were told last year.

That loss to ****ty Murray State sure as hell better be held against them in a BIG way this year.
Maybe if they spend a lot of time in the weight room this offseason they can beat the F'Hawk out of teams next year.

RootinFerDukes
October 23rd, 2016, 12:49 PM
I think it is tough to project five CAA teams in the field until most national brackets are reflecting that and aren't they only saying four right now? I think one of those "IN" CAA teams will be denied and the most daunting remaining task of those teams is for UNH. I do think the committee wants the playoff streak storyline though.

RootinFerDukes
October 23rd, 2016, 12:51 PM
One thing I don't understand about Massey is how their game predictions vs projected remaining wins/losses works. They have JMU as heavy favorites vs URI and Elon and then slight underdogs vs UR and a percentage toss-up with VU, although VU gets the 1 pt favor due to being the home team. That means a 2-2 finish for JMU but the predicted wins/losses has us finishing 9-2 or winning 3 of 4 to finish the season.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2016, 01:04 PM
One thing I don't understand about Massey is how their game predictions vs projected remaining wins/losses works. They have JMU as heavy favorites vs URI and Elon and then slight underdogs vs UR and a percentage toss-up with VU, although VU gets the 1 pt favor due to being the home team. That means a 2-2 finish for JMU but the predicted wins/losses has us finishing 9-2 or winning 3 of 4 to finish the season.

It took me a little thinking but I figured it out a while ago when I was looking at The Citadel.

Add up the % chance of JMU losing in remaining games.

3%
58%
50%
8%

Total is 1.19

Showing 1.19 as estimated losses. Not really a good way of estimating it, but it is just an estimate.

F'N Hawks
October 23rd, 2016, 01:06 PM
Maybe if they spend a lot of time in the weight room this offseason they can beat the F'Hawk out of teams next year.

Ish.

Gangtackle11
October 23rd, 2016, 01:08 PM
I think it is tough to project five CAA teams in the field until most national brackets are reflecting that and aren't they only saying four right now? I think one of those "IN" CAA teams will be denied and the most daunting remaining task of those teams is for UNH. I do think the committee wants the playoff streak storyline though.

I do too, but it's not a stretch to get 5 CAA teams with 8+ wins. Then what happens?

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2016, 01:11 PM
SOCON gets four teams if each team has 7 FCS wins and if the only losses you have this year are to other playoff bound teams and an FBS opponent. I hear a lot of arguments for someone with a better record, but they have losses (sometimes more than one) against FCS teams that are not going to the playoffs. Therefore they are not a good candidate IMO.
Ok, so Wofford would have good losses but where are their good wins going to come from? Maybe the bubble is exceptionally weak but a 7-4 Wofford team with no good wins and 4 "good losses" is far from a likely playoff team.

kalm
October 23rd, 2016, 01:17 PM
Ok, so Wofford would have good losses but where are their good wins going to come from? Maybe the bubble is exceptionally weak but a 7-4 Wofford team with no good wins and 4 "good losses" is far from a likely playoff team.

Opening the door for a 6-5 UNI with the top 3 SOS to waltz in.

RootinFerDukes
October 23rd, 2016, 01:18 PM
It took me a little thinking but I figured it out a while ago when I was looking at The Citadel.

Add up the % chance of JMU losing in remaining games.

3%
58%
50%
8%

Total is 1.19

Showing 1.19 as estimated losses. Not really a good way of estimating it, but it is just an estimate.

It all makes sense now. Thank you. xdrunkyx

RootinFerDukes
October 23rd, 2016, 01:21 PM
I do too, but it's not a stretch to get 5 CAA teams with 8+ wins. Then what happens?

If we have five 8 win teams, one is probably denied with the weakest SOS and lowest quality wins. They'll probably put emphasis on an FBS win if someone has one. It really depends on the rest of the national field but an 8 win CAA team with the lowest ranking SOS is sweating bullets and a 7 win team is guaranteed to not make the field in that scenario.

additionally, a 6-5 MVFC team stands no chance of getting in if the CAA had five 8 win teams. That would be the biggest joke in FCS selection history if they let that happen.

cidgrad89
October 23rd, 2016, 01:39 PM
I don't see a 10-1 The Citadel getting a seed as low as #7. IMO The Citadel is the only FCS team to control their destiny for the #1 seed.

kalm
October 23rd, 2016, 01:41 PM
If we have five 8 win teams, one is probably denied with the weakest SOS and lowest quality wins. They'll probably put emphasis on an FBS win if someone has one. It really depends on the rest of the national field but an 8 win CAA team with the lowest ranking SOS is sweating bullets and a 7 win team is guaranteed to not make the field in that scenario.

additionally, a 6-5 MVFC team stands no chance of getting in if the CAA had five 8 win teams. That would be the biggest joke in FCS selection history if they let that happen.

Agree on 8 wins but a 7-4 CAA vs 6-5 MVFC would be interesting when compare schedules.

Gangtackle11
October 23rd, 2016, 01:45 PM
Agree on 8 wins but a 7-4 CAA vs 6-5 MVFC would be interesting when compare schedules.

That precedent was already set last season with 6-5 Western Illinois getting in over 7-4 Towson (7-4 North Dakota also denied).

Gangtackle11
October 23rd, 2016, 01:56 PM

When's the last time a team with 8 FCS wins from a top conference was left out? Probably have to go back to 20 team bracket?

grizband
October 23rd, 2016, 01:59 PM
Remember that at large bids will be compared against the entire field, and do not exist in a vacuum. Simply having 7 or 8 wins does not guarantee a team entry into the playoffs; their situation and resume must be considered among the remaining teams.

CID1990
October 23rd, 2016, 02:10 PM
I don't see a 10-1 The Citadel getting a seed as low as #7. IMO The Citadel is the only FCS team to control their destiny for the #1 seed.

I don't see The Citadel getting a #1 seed - unless we go 11-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
October 23rd, 2016, 02:18 PM

Agree.

But at 10-1, and 8-0 in SOCON we would get at least #4. But we ain't there yet. Samford and VMI have something to say first.

kalm
October 23rd, 2016, 02:20 PM
At least a 4. Especially if the Bizon drop one more.

cidgrad89
October 23rd, 2016, 02:28 PM

Oh, of course.

WrenFGun
October 23rd, 2016, 02:58 PM
I'll just give you an example: Tennessee State could get to 9-2 and I'm still not sure their resume would be better than 6-5 UNI, if they got there. I don't think they will, of course.

I do tend to agree, though, an 8 DI win team from a major conference [Big Sky, MVFC, CAA, SoCon] is probably a lock for the playoffs. There are some CAA teams at 7 wins though (UNH in particular, if they get there) that would have a tough argument over a 6 win UNI team. In that case, UNH would have a loss to Dartmouth [0-3 in the ivy] on their resume in addition to having their best win be over 2 of Maine/SBU/Albany, all of whom are on the borderlines of the playoffs and probably wouldn't be in if UNH beat them.

Toby
October 23rd, 2016, 03:13 PM

Tennessee State has only one team on their schedule with a winning record. If they win out (against 4 teams with a combined 7-22 record) their total wins would come against teams that today have a combined 18-46 record. Pretty weak.

Schism55
October 23rd, 2016, 03:18 PM
Tennessee State has only one team on their schedule with a winning record. If they win out (against 4 teams with a combined 7-22 record) their total wins would come against teams that today have a combined 18-46 record. Pretty weak.
That's crazy, and also an insult to pretty weak.

Toby
October 23rd, 2016, 03:20 PM

The SoCon is the second ranked conference this year and probably deserve 4 teams.

elcid96
October 23rd, 2016, 03:41 PM
The SoCon is the second ranked conference this year and probably deserve 4 teams.

4 good losses beats a bad loss any day of the week. To make the playoffs, you should win the games you were supposed to win. Either way, Wofford will be a bubble team at best. It will come down to a lot of comparisons on selection day. If the option is four quality losses vs a team with one horrible loss, 2 quality losses and a big win, I would take Wofford.

kalm
October 23rd, 2016, 03:43 PM

Conference computer rankings make even less sense than team rankings. I'd like to think the committee does not use this as a metric.

Gangtackle11
October 23rd, 2016, 05:10 PM
2-4 is tighter than a crab's arse. MVFC clear #1. Southern, Big Sky, CAA in photo finish.

RootinFerDukes
October 23rd, 2016, 05:35 PM

I'd say ndsu needs to lose one more to not be in the #1 seed discussion. Ewu? Shsu? All are up there and have better current rankings and ewu has an fbs win.
At this time, the citadel is top 4 but not #1.

RootinFerDukes
October 23rd, 2016, 05:41 PM
When's the last time a team with 8 FCS wins from a top conference was left out? Probably have to go back to 20 team bracket?

I don't know if it has happened since the 20 or 24 team field began. It did happen with the 16 team field.
With that being said, I doubt we'd finish with five 8 win CAA teams. A team or two will stumble. It's inevitable.

RootinFerDukes
October 23rd, 2016, 05:53 PM

Didn't the socon only get two teams in last year? If so, I think a two team jump in one season is a bit much. They're still rebuilding from the loss of app state and ga southern.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 23rd, 2016, 05:57 PM
I don't know if it has happened since the 20 or 24 team field began. It did happen with the 16 team field.
With that being said, I doubt we'd finish with five 8 win CAA teams. A team or two will stumble. It's inevitable.

It happened to us in 2012. I believe that was a 20 team bracket.

kalm
October 23rd, 2016, 06:30 PM
Didn't the socon only get two teams in last year? If so, I think a two team jump in one season is a bit much. They're still rebuilding from the loss of app state and ga southern.

Again, I'm pretty sure there are no rules pertaining to conference affiliation and at larges or seeding. It's about comparing resumes. If there are 4 SoCon teams deserving of a bid this year so be it...regardless of what happened last year or ASU and Georgia Southern.

Thumper 76
October 23rd, 2016, 07:14 PM
Again, I'm pretty sure there are no rules pertaining to conference affiliation and at larges or seeding. It's about comparing resumes. If there are 4 SoCon teams deserving of a bid this year so be it...regardless of what happened last year or ASU and Georgia Southern.
While thats true, I can see what hes getting at. With the loss of Georgia Southern and App St that hurts the perceived strength of the conference, taking away two big conference games. When the you only play one OOC game in the FCS against a good team (UCA), you're really relying on the strength of your conference games when you make a case at 7-4. You would think that the SoCon teams would go out and challenge themselves more in the OOC to try to prove the strength of the conference and accelerate the process. If you only play yourselves and the sisters of the poor its hard to change perception. So it will make your resume seem weaker in a vacuum just because of who your conference. So they do go hand in hand in that instance.

superman7515
October 23rd, 2016, 07:18 PM

That's crazy, and also an insult to pretty weak.

And yet, they still have a better SOS than Sam Houston State.

Schism55
October 23rd, 2016, 07:52 PM
Well that says a whole lot now doesn't it?

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 23rd, 2016, 07:59 PM
Well that says a whole lot now doesn't it?

SHSU will be a #1 or #2 if they go 11-0 IMO.

cidgrad89
October 23rd, 2016, 08:33 PM
I'd say ndsu needs to lose one more to not be in the #1 seed discussion. Ewu? Shsu? All are up there and have better current rankings and ewu has an fbs win.
At this time, the citadel is top 4 but not #1.

That's the flaw in your thinking. You are using current rankings. The Citadel would leapfrog all teams ahead of them if they go 11-0 with wins over ranked North Carolina, Chattanooga, Samford and maybe Wofford. I didn't say The Citadel would get the #1 seed, but they are the only team in FCS to control thier destiny for a #1 seed.

Gangtackle11
October 23rd, 2016, 09:08 PM
http://nobowls.com/

TheKingpin28
October 23rd, 2016, 09:12 PM
That's the flaw in your thinking. You are using current rankings. The Citadel would leapfrog all teams ahead of them if they go 11-0 with wins over ranked North Carolina, Chattanooga, Samford and maybe Wofford. I didn't say The Citadel would get the #1 seed, but they are the only team in FCS to control thier destiny for a #1 seed.

False. NDSU is still in the drivers seat if they win out for the #1 as the committee will notice the SOS and not let theat one slip. Assuming they lose one more, then it will be EWU for the drivers seat. Assuming they lose 1 more, then it gets iffy and I believe El Cid will have the benefit of the doubt followed by SDSU if they win out. In order for them to be in the drivers seat, they will need NDSU and EWU to lose 1 more each before they are in that drivers seat. The OT game on the road for a loss, an FBS win over the Cougars who are surging at the right time, and a possibly resurgent UNI (who holds the #2/3 SOS in the FCS) will look a lot better on paper.

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2016, 09:18 PM
My take...

WIU at UND vs 1. NDSU
Stony Brook at Lehigh vs 8. JMU
Villanova at UNH vs 5. The Citadel
UCA at Chattanooga vs 4. SHSU

St. Francis at YSU vs 6. Richmond
Charleston Southern at Samford vs 3. JSU
Weber State at Montana vs 7. SDSU
San Diego at Cal Poly vs 2. EWU

Autobids: EWU, Charleston Southern, Richmond, SDSU, St. Francis, Jacksonville State, Lehigh, San Diego, The Citadel, SHSU
At Large: Chattanooga, Richmond, Montana, YSU, Stony Brook, Cal Poly, NDSU, Villanova, WIU, Samford, UCA, UND, Weber State, UNH

Bubble(Not in order): UNI, USD, Maine, Albany, NAU, NCCU, EIU, Tennessee St, Fordham, Wofford, SLU, UNC

Gangtackle11
October 23rd, 2016, 09:30 PM
My take:

#1 NDSU v. UND/Montana
#8 Chattanooga v. JMU/St.Francis, Pa.

#4 The Citadel v. Charleston Southern/Samford
#5 SHSU v. WIU/Youngstown St.

#3 Jacksonville St. v. UNI/UCA
#6 Richmond v. Villanova/Stony Brook

#7 SDSU v. Cal Poly/San Diego
#2 E.Washington v. UNH/Lehigh

AQ: NDSU, Eastern Washington, Jacksonville State, The Citadel, SHSU, Richmond, St. Francis, Pa., Charleston Southern, San Diego, Lehigh

At-Large: North Dakota, Montana, Chattanooga, JMU, Samford, Western Illinois, Youngstown State, Northern Iowa, Central Arkansas, Villanova, Stony Brook, South Dakota State, Cal Poly, UNH

Edit: added UNH, dropped Albany

BisonTru
October 23rd, 2016, 09:31 PM
My take...

WIU at UND vs 1. NDSU
Stony Brook at Lehigh vs 8. JMU
Villanova at UNH vs 5. The Citadel
UCA at Chattanooga vs 4. SHSU

St. Francis at YSU vs 6. Richmond
Charleston Southern at Samford vs 3. JSU
Weber State at Montana vs 7. SDSU
San Diego at Cal Poly vs 2. EWU

Autobids: EWU, Charleston Southern, Richmond, SDSU, St. Francis, Jacksonville State, Lehigh, San Diego, The Citadel, SHSU
At Large: Chattanooga, Richmond, Montana, YSU, Stony Brook, Cal Poly, NDSU, Villanova, WIU, Samford, UCA, UND, Weber State, UNH

Bubble(Not in order): UNI, USD, Maine, Albany, NAU, NCCU, EIU, Tennessee St, Fordham, Wofford, SLU, UNC

Sacred Heart deserves to at least be in the bubble with their victory over SB and already 6 D1 wins in the bag. FWIW, I don't think they should be in, but at least in consideration with their resume.

stevdock
October 23rd, 2016, 09:33 PM
Just curious how often has it happened where the #1 seed is an at large and hasn't even tied for the conference championship??

TheKingpin28
October 23rd, 2016, 09:38 PM
My take:

#1 NDSU v. UND/Montana

#2 E.Washington v. Albany/Lehigh

AQ: NDSU, Eastern Washington, Jacksonville State, The Citadel, SHSU, Richmond, St. Francis, Pa., Charleston Southern, San Diego, Lehigh

At-Large: North Dakota, Montana, Chattanooga, JMU, Samford, Western Illinois, Youngstown State, Northern Iowa, Central Arkansas, Villanova, Stony Brook, South Dakota State, Cal Poly, Albany

I feel like these match-ups would switched due to intra-conference play (YSU vs WIU that is) but based on what others have said, it is not necessary for them to, but there would be enough uproar that they do not want this debacle to happen again. And the NDSU vs UND/UM would suck that have 3 of the top 15 face each other since the committee refuses to seed the entire field to "cut costs". Also the battle for the #8 seed I think would go to JMU over Chatty, but that is just me.

Toby
October 23rd, 2016, 09:43 PM

The SoCon has only one loss to an FCS OCC this year. The SoCon is 12-1 (I believe)against FCS OCC.

BisonTru
October 23rd, 2016, 09:49 PM
I feel like these match-ups would switched due to intra-conference play (YSU vs WIU that is) but based on what others have said, it is not necessary for them to, but there would be enough uproar that they do not want this debacle to happen again. And the NDSU vs UND/UM would suck that have 3 of the top 15 face each other since the committee refuses to seed the entire field to "cut costs". Also the battle for the #8 seed I think would go to JMU over Chatty, but that is just me.

Both are fine. YSU and WIU don't face each other in the regular season and Chuck South and Samford aren't in the same conference or faced each other in the regular season.

BisonTru
October 23rd, 2016, 10:08 PM
My take

Seeds
Autos
At large

North Dakota St
Lehigh

North Dakota

Eastern Wash
St. Francis

South Dakota St
1. North Dakota St

The Citadel
San Diego

Jacksonville St
South Dakota St

Youngstown
8. James Madison

Sam Houston St
Western Ill

Lehigh

Charleston S
Youngstown St

Richmond
Villanova

Western Ill

James Madison
Montana

Montana
4. The Citadel

Cal Poly

North Dakota

Weber St
5. Sam Houston St

Chattanooga

Central Ark

Central Ark

Samford

Weber St

Wofford

New Hampshire

Samford
3. Jacksonville St

Wofford

New Hampshire
6. Charleston Southern

Chattanooga

St. Francis

Villanova
7. Richmond

San Diego
2. Eastern Wash

Cal Poly

Last 4 Out:

Stony Brook

Sacred Heart

Tennessee St

Albany

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2016, 10:11 PM
Sacred Heart deserves to at least be in the bubble with their victory over SB and already 6 D1 wins in the bag. FWIW, I don't think they should be in, but at least in consideration with their resume.

I guess I didn't really consider they could win out and tie for the conference but not get the autobid. Yeah, they should probably be included in case that happens.

Sammy94
October 23rd, 2016, 10:16 PM

And yet I wonder how many teams would like to be travelling to Huntsville for Sam's first playoff game? Probably not the Big Sky, but carry on.

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2016, 10:18 PM
SHSU will be a #1 or #2 if they go 11-0 IMO.

Not if NDSU, EWU and The Citadel win out.

Of course though for now that is easier said then done for all of them.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2016, 10:55 PM
Not if NDSU, EWU and The Citadel win out.

Of course though for now that is easier said then done for all of them.

Winning out for us is not likely with a ranked UNC on the schedule. But to be realistic, if we go 10-1, I still think we have a shot to out seed SHSU even if they are undefeated.

Right now on Massey we have the 35th SOS with a rating of 30.30. Massey predicts we will have a final SOS rank of 24 with a rating of 32.40.

SHSU currently has the 86th SOS with a rating of 19.71. Massey predicts they will have a final SOS rank of 74 with a rating of 22.85.

If folks prefer Sagarin, the Current SOSs are The Citadel, ranked 168 at 48.25 and SHSU ranked at 230 at 34.25.

Now, people can agree or ignore this, but lacking any other objective measurement, it is clear that SHSU has a SOS issue, 11-0 or not.

And again, all this said, we still got Samford, and even VMI, and especially UNC to go.

Nickels
October 23rd, 2016, 11:38 PM
Why do people keep putting SHSU at 5? Either the Kats win out and get a 1-4 or lose and get a **** seed or nothing at all. 5 is the most illogical and simply wont happen.

centennial
October 23rd, 2016, 11:44 PM
Why do people keep putting SHSU at 5? Either the Kats win out and get a 1-4 or lose and get a **** seed or nothing at all. 5 is the most illogical and simply wont happen.

If SHSU losses they don't deserve any rank. SOS is too weak.

Nickels
October 24th, 2016, 01:21 AM
If SHSU losses they don't deserve any rank. SOS is too weak.
Exactly. So why does everyone keep putting them at 5?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 24th, 2016, 03:29 AM
If the methodology is based on today's current results, then that would explain the 5. Otherwise, you are right that it will be a tick higher/lower depending on the finish of the year. I could see a scenario though, for EWU, NDSU, winner of JMU@Richmond, The Citadel (only loss to UNC), JSU to all win out and SHSU getting about #5 seed even if undefeated due to SOS.

ex189
October 24th, 2016, 06:47 AM
QUOTE=ElCid;2398198]Winning out for us is not likely with a ranked UNC on the schedule. But to be realistic, if we go 10-1, I still think we have a shot to out seed SHSU even if they are undefeated.

Right now on Massey we have the 35th SOS with a rating of 30.30. Massey predicts we will have a final SOS rank of 24 with a rating of 32.40.

SHSU currently has the 86th SOS with a rating of 19.71. Massey predicts they will have a final SOS rank of 74 with a rating of 22.85.

If folks prefer Sagarin, the Current SOSs are The Citadel, ranked 168 at 48.25 and SHSU ranked at 230 at 34.25.

Now, people can agree or ignore this, but lacking any other objective measurement, it is clear that SHSU has a SOS issue, 11-0 or not.

And again, all this said, we still got Samford, and even VMI, and especially UNC to go.[/QUOTE]

The Citadel wins their next 2 games there is no way that they are not one of the top 4 seeds regardless of what they do at UNC. As a CSU BUC Father, they have demonstrated that they deserve the high ranking. I also can't see the committee not putting Charleston Southern in the Citadel's side of the bracket. It makes too much sense in the event that the BUCS advance.

kalm
October 24th, 2016, 07:33 AM
QUOTE=ElCid;2398198]Winning out for us is not likely with a ranked UNC on the schedule. But to be realistic, if we go 10-1, I still think we have a shot to out seed SHSU even if they are undefeated.

And again, all this said, we still got Samford, and even VMI, and especially UNC to go.

The Citadel wins their next 2 games there is no way that they are not one of the top 4 seeds regardless of what they do at UNC. As a CSU BUC Father, they have demonstrated that they deserve the high ranking. I also can't see the committee not putting Charleston Southern in the Citadel's side of the bracket. It makes too much sense in the event that the BUCS advance.[/QUOTE]

I like their chances too. They have a better SoS than either 1-loss CAA and a WAY better SoS than SHSU. Their only knock is a bunch of close games which is a slight knock at best.

RootinFerDukes
October 24th, 2016, 08:26 AM

The Citadel is not beating a ranked UNC team. They have receivers and a QB who are elite and will be playing on Sundays. How does your secondary perform, your D-line and your pass rush? If it isn't lights out every single game, UNC is a big giant.
I made those statements assuming the citadel is 10-1 at best.

ex189
October 24th, 2016, 08:51 AM
The Citadel will grab a seed and a first round bye with victories in their remaining games minus the North Carolina game. That game will have little or no impact on their seed. The Citadel's complete body of work shows they are a team to be concerned about come playoff time.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2016, 08:52 AM
There sure are a lot of teams that are "in no way not a top 4 seed if they win out (their FCS games)" according to some.... by my count there's 8 that I've seen that claim made for: EWU, JMU, JSU, NDSU, Richmond, SDSU, SHSU, and The Citadel. Problem is only 2 of those teams, Richmond and JMU, play any of the others the rest of the season. So there actually is very legitimate ways that several of those teams are outside the top 4 seeds if they win out (their FCS games).

Daytripper
October 24th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Does the potential of filling the stadium in Frisco factor in to seeding? The only team that has come close to filling half that stadium with non-NDSU fans was SHSU in their two appearances. With NDSU being perceived as somewhat vulnerable, they may want to have a plan to possibly avoid a half-empty stadium if NDSU doesn't make it. A top two seed for SHSU would go a long way in helping make that happen. Just sayin'.

F'N Hawks
October 24th, 2016, 09:02 AM
There sure are a lot of teams that are "in no way not a top 4 seed if they win out (their FCS games)" according to some.... by my count there's 8 that I've seen that claim made for: EWU, JMU, JSU, NDSU, Richmond, SDSU, SHSU, and The Citadel. Problem is only 2 of those teams, Richmond and JMU, play any of the others the rest of the season. So there actually is very legitimate ways that several of those teams are outside the top 4 seeds if they win out (their FCS games).

I think a reasonable person can guaran-damn-tee that EWU, NDSU and SDSU are getting Top 4 seeds if they win out. The committee will love all three of their resume's.

BEAR
October 24th, 2016, 09:11 AM
I think a reasonable person can guaran-damn-tee that EWU, NDSU and SDSU are getting Top 4 seeds if they win out. The committee will love all three of their resume's.

Here's a twist.

What if UCA wins out? Already beat FBS and 4 time Sunbelt champion Ark. State and still might #1 FCS SHSU and goes 10-1 with the only loss to a so far very good Samford team in a game that really could have been won by the Bears. (fruits and nuts I get it.) But 10-1 is possible but I'm just throwing out a scenario. What say ye? xlolx Would the Bears deserve a top 4 seed? xeyebrowx If not, then what? If Sam would deserve a top 4 seed playing OK panhandle and Texas Southern VS UCA playing Samford and Ark. State...xeyebrowx

Daytripper
October 24th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Here's a twist.

What if UCA wins out? Already beat FBS and 4 time Sunbelt champion Ark. State and still might #1 FCS SHSU and goes 10-1 with the only loss to a so far very good Samford team in a game that really could have been won by the Bears. (fruits and nuts I get it.) But 10-1 is possible but I'm just throwing out a scenario. What say ye? xlolx Would the Bears deserve a top 4 seed? xeyebrowx If not, then what? If Sam would deserve a top 4 seed playing OK panhandle and Texas Southern VS UCA playing Samford and Ark. State...xeyebrowx

Yes. If you run the table you should get consideration for a top 4 seed.

F'N Hawks
October 24th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Here's a twist.

Look at Massey. Look at Sagarin. Not even close because of SOS index.

Lehigh'98
October 24th, 2016, 09:22 AM
My take:

#1 NDSU v. UND/Montana

#2 E.Washington v. UNH/Lehigh

At-Large: North Dakota, Montana, Chattanooga, JMU, Samford, Western Illinois, Youngstown State, Northern Iowa, Central Arkansas, Villanova, Stony Brook, South Dakota State, Cal Poly, UNH

Edit: added UNH, dropped Albany

If EWU got Lehigh, I could see a final score of about 91-56 EWU. You couldn't set the over total enough in that game. Lehigh's D is atrocious and EWU's offense is one of the best I've seen. Also, Lehigh can score.

JSUSoutherner
October 24th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Does the potential of filling the stadium in Frisco factor in to seeding? The only team that has come close to filling half that stadium with non-NDSU fans was SHSU in their two appearances. With NDSU being perceived as somewhat vulnerable, they may want to have a plan to possibly avoid a half-empty stadium if NDSU doesn't make it. A top two seed for SHSU would go a long way in helping make that happen. Just sayin'.
Yes, let's rig the tournament to sell the most tickets in Frisco. That's how a true tournament should be ran.

Daytripper
October 24th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Yes, let's rig the tournament to sell the most tickets in Frisco. That's how a true tournament should be ran.

I didn't say that is what should happen. I just asked if it might be a consideration.

Sammy94
October 24th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Yes, let's rig the tournament to sell the most tickets in Frisco.

You are naïve if you don't think $ is a major factor in setting up the bracket. Tickets are already sold out for Frisco so that really doesn't matter but why do you think first round playoff games are decided on highest bids??? But its not rigged? Let's have a true, known formula by the committee and seed the entire 24 if money is not a factor.

ElCid
October 24th, 2016, 09:35 AM

Wow, I would like to think that it doesn't matter at all. If it does matter then the entire process is a joke.

Gangtackle11
October 24th, 2016, 09:36 AM
I didn't say that is what should happen. I just asked if it might be a consideration.

I think minimizing costs of the FCS playoffs is definitely a topic on the top of agenda for the NCAA.

I'm not going say its "rigged", but I'm sure host teams that will contribute above average bid fees have some extra advantage over a like team that draws poorly and/or doesn't bid competitively. (see Villanova for attendance for one).

Daytripper
October 24th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Wow, I would like to think that it doesn't matter at all. If it does matter then the entire process is a joke.

Agree.

Daytripper
October 24th, 2016, 09:44 AM
You are naïve if you don't think $ is a major factor in setting up the bracket. Tickets are already sold out for Frisco so that really doesn't matter but why do you think first round playoff games are decided on highest bids??? But its not rigged? Let's have a true, known formula by the committee and seed the entire 24 if money is not a factor.

True. They are sold out. But 90% of them are sold to NDSU fans. If they don't make it, a large majority of those tickets will end up on the secondary market. How much of a demand will there be if it is EWU v. The Citadel?

For TV and perception purposes, they want a full stadium.

cidgrad89
October 24th, 2016, 09:59 AM
The Citadel is not beating a ranked UNC team. They have receivers and a QB who are elite and will be playing on Sundays. How does your secondary perform, your D-line and your pass rush? If it isn't lights out every single game, UNC is a big giant.
I made those statements assuming the citadel is 10-1 at best.

The Citadel's secondary is good. Dee Delaney, a junior, was a first team all-American last year at CB (and pre-season all-American for 2016). Kalik Williams, another junior at safety, will be an all-American at years end. He won SoCon player of the month for September and should win it for October. Malik Diggs, a senior safety is all-conference. Their pass rush is good and DL is effective. Depth is an issue at DL.

North Carolina is #94 in the nation at stopping the run giving up 202.8 ypg. North Carolina could have trouble getting The Citadel's offense off the field thus limiting their possessions. With limited possessions, anything bad happening, such as turnovers, is magnified. With near perfect precision and some luck, The Citadel could make this an interesting game. I’m thinking between a 1/7 to 1/8 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/x-apple-data-detectors://2)shot. If The Citadel is 10-0, you guys should not ignore this game.

I hope The Citadel gets to face a team like SHSU, EWU, and Samford in the playoffs. We match up very well against these teams IMO. I see North Carolina as the FBS equivalent of SHSU, EWU.

Gangtackle11
October 24th, 2016, 10:04 AM
I see North Carolina as the FBS equivalent of SHSU, EWU.

The key is they are FBS and a quality one at that. Never say never, but i don't see it being that close.

kalm
October 24th, 2016, 10:12 AM
The key is they are FBS and a quality one at that. Never say never, but i don't see it being that close.

WSU and Iowa are quality FBS and neither of those were fluke wins. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Sammy94
October 24th, 2016, 10:15 AM
I hope The Citadel gets to face a team like SHSU

I hope you get your wish.

ElCid
October 24th, 2016, 10:17 AM
The Citadel's secondary is good. Dee Delaney, a junior, was a first team all-American last year at CB (and pre-season all-American for 2016). Kalik Williams, another junior at safety, will be an all-American at years end. He won SoCon player of the month for September and should win it for October. Malik Diggs, a senior safety is all-conference. Their pass rush is good and DL is effective. Depth is an issue at DL.

North Carolina is #94 in the nation at stopping the run giving up 202.8 ypg. North Carolina could have trouble getting The Citadel's offense off the field thus limiting their possessions. With limited possessions, anything bad happening, such as turnovers, is magnified. With near perfect precision and some luck, The Citadel could make this an interesting game. I’m thinking between a 1/7 to 1/8 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/x-apple-data-detectors://2)shot. If The Citadel is 10-0, you guys should not ignore this game.

I hope The Citadel gets to face a team like SHSU, EWU, and Samford in the playoffs. We match up very well against these teams IMO. I see North Carolina as the FBS equivalent of SHSU, EWU.

Yeah Williams was a beast this past week. The other thing I like about the UNC game is they have State the next week. Would love to catch them looking ahead as well. But it is probably a tall order still. Last year we were peaking at the right time against USC. It helped that they were down as well last year. I don't think we will have a situation like that this year. UNC will not want a close game for their Bowl resume. Would love to mess that up.

I really like that our team doesn't get down facing adversity. Prior to the last couple years, most of our teams would have folded in some of the games we played this year. Now they just keep on fighting, hard. If the defense gets a bit behind, the o picks it up and vice versa.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 24th, 2016, 11:31 AM
True. They are sold out. But 90% of them are sold to NDSU fans. If they don't make it, a large majority of those tickets will end up on the secondary market. How much of a demand will there be if it is EWU v. The Citadel?

For TV and perception purposes, they want a full stadium.

MONTANA vs NDSU would be the FCS and NCAAs wet dream come true!!!!

Matt
October 24th, 2016, 11:34 AM

This is what happened in 2012. 4-way tie for first (ODU was ineligible) and we got left out of the playoffs at 8-3.

Thumper 76
October 24th, 2016, 11:35 AM
My take

Seeds
Autos
At large

North Dakota St
Lehigh

North Dakota

Eastern Wash
St. Francis

South Dakota St
1. North Dakota St

The Citadel
San Diego

Jacksonville St
South Dakota St

Youngstown
8. James Madison

Sam Houston St
Western Ill

Lehigh

Charleston S
Youngstown St

Richmond
Villanova

Western Ill

James Madison
Montana

Montana
4. The Citadel

Cal Poly

North Dakota

Weber St
5. Sam Houston St

Chattanooga

Central Ark

Central Ark

Samford

Weber St

Wofford

New Hampshire

Samford
3. Jacksonville St

Wofford

New Hampshire
6. Charleston Southern

Chattanooga

St. Francis

Villanova
7. Richmond

San Diego
2. Eastern Wash

Cal Poly

Last 4 Out:

Stony Brook

Sacred Heart

Tennessee St

Albany

So give me one legitimate reason for CSU to be a seed over SDSU. Thats my pet peeve this year is somehow CSU is ranked above us when they couldn't scrape together two teams on the same level as four that SDSU has played this year.

Katfan
October 24th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Here's a twist.

The problem for both of us is SOS, the best win for either team will be whoever wins our game. Our conference games have too many weak teams in the bottom quartile of FCS. The few teams behind us that are decent are only in the 40 to 70ish range. We both need to continue to take care of business so that we are ranked as high as possible when we play. That will give the winner the highest possible seed we can get. Then most probably we'll face each other again in the second round.

BEAR
October 24th, 2016, 11:57 AM
The problem for both of us is SOS, the best win for either team will be whoever wins our game. Our conference games have too many weak teams in the bottom quartile of FCS. The few teams behind us that are decent are only in the 40 to 70ish range. We both need to continue to take care of business so that we are ranked as high as possible when we play. That will give the winner the highest possible seed we can get. Then most probably we'll face each other again in the second round.

Time to let go of a couple of cellar dwellars. :D

Daytripper
October 24th, 2016, 12:00 PM

McNeese and Lamar? JK!xdrunkyx

Katfan
October 24th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Probably shouldn't have let them join imho. For football anyway

BisonTru
October 24th, 2016, 12:37 PM
So give me one legitimate reason for CSU to be a seed over SDSU. Thats my pet peeve this year is somehow CSU is ranked above us when they couldn't scrape together two teams on the same level as four that SDSU has played this year.

I seem to be the only one that seems Chuck S deserves a seed, and I'm not sure I understand why. Compare their schedule to Sam Houston and it's quite the gauntlet, yet I'll get flamed by both the Bearkat guys as well as a bunch of blue spray painted chickens that I don't have them in my top 4. Comparing them directly to SDSU, the Jacks have the Cal Poly loss which isn't real bad, but it is worse than the worst bullet point on Chuck's resume which is an overtime loss to NDSU. They also have the Coastal Carolina win as well.

To be honest, probably the biggest reason I don't have SDSU in the seeds, is just trying get away from any MVFC homerism. I do think SDSU is one of the top 8 teams in the country and should be in the seeds. How the committee will see it, Idk, but that's who I'm trying to predict. Also, with the committee I think their will be a strong push from any conference representative to argue for the best team from their conference as a seed if they have any legitimate argument what so ever.

Time will tell, I personally think we as a community are a little low on CSU. I'm kind of shocked a few more of their fans aren't pushing that as well, but they all seem to be in a pissing contest with Citdog over who's school is on the nice side of the tracks. xlolx

Thumper 76
October 24th, 2016, 12:40 PM
I seem to be the only one that seems Chuck S deserves a seed, and I'm not sure I understand why. Compare their schedule to Sam Houston and it's quite the gauntlet, yet I'll get flamed by both the Bearkat guys as well as a bunch of blue sprain painted chickens that I don't have them in my top 4. Comparing them directly to SDSU, the Jacks have the Cal Poly loss which isn't real bad, but it is worse than the worst bullet point on Chuck's resume which is an overtime loss to NDSU. They also have the Coastal Carolina win as well.

To be honest, probably the biggest reason I don't have SDSU in the seeds, is just trying get away from any MVFC homerism. I do think SDSU is one of the top 8 teams in the country and should be in the seeds. How the committee will see it, Idk, but that's who I'm trying to predict. Also, with the committee I think their will be a strong push from any conference representative to argue for the best team from their conference as a seed if they have any legitimate argument what so ever.

Time will tell, I personally think we as a community are a little low on CSU. I'm kind of shocked a few more of their fans aren't pushing that as well, but they all seem to be in a pissing contest with Citdog over who's school is on the nice side of the tracks. xlolx
Don't they only have like two DI wins? That and when their loss is at a place that SDSU won, plus SDSU has as many top 25 wins as CSU has DI wins, I have a hard time giving them too much credit I guess. I can see where you're coming from with trying to avoid conference homerism though.

WrenFGun
October 24th, 2016, 12:45 PM
This is what happened in 2012. 4-way tie for first (ODU was ineligible) and we got left out of the playoffs at 8-3.

Keep in mind here that this was a 20 team field, not 24. As I recall, Richmond got ****ed because Coastal took the auto from SBU and UNH beat UR in the regular season, 44-40 or something crazy like that. That said, it was UNH's worst team in the playoff run and the only one that was probably not 100% deserving of that spot, as I think UR was the better team by the end of the season.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind here that this was a 20 team field, not 24. As I recall, Richmond got ****ed because Coastal took the auto from SBU and UNH beat UR in the regular season, 44-40 or something crazy like that. That said, it was UNH's worst team in the playoff run and the only one that was probably not 100% deserving of that spot, as I think UR was the better team by the end of the season.

BisonTru
October 24th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Don't they only have like two DI wins? That and when their loss is at a place that SDSU won, plus SDSU has as many top 25 wins as CSU has DI wins, I have a hard time giving them too much credit I guess. I can see where you're coming from with trying to avoid conference homerism though.

It's hard for me to argue against you on SDSU because I agree that SDSU has done more than Chuck S and in my poll I ranked the Jacks above them. However compare what Chuck S has done compared to other consensus top 8 teams. Is JSU's best win over the exact same team as Chuck's best win more impressive? Both games were close, yet the Gamecocks got Coastal at home. Is The Citadel beating Chattanooga at home more impressive than beating Coastal on the road? Samantha doesn't have anything on their resume that can be stacked up against anything the Bucs have done.

Bucs2016
October 24th, 2016, 12:53 PM

NDSU and Coastal are 2 of the top FCS programs in America. That's 2. Then Florida State. Has SDSU played 3 teams that combined are better than Florida State, N Dakota State and Coastal?

In fact...show me ONE...just ONE FCS team who has 3 opponents so far that combined are better than those 3?

Florida State. North Dakota State. Coastal Carolina. What FCS team has faced 3 teams better than that so far?

Bucs2016
October 24th, 2016, 12:58 PM
I seem to be the only one that seems Chuck S deserves a seed, and I'm not sure I understand why. Compare their schedule to Sam Houston and it's quite the gauntlet, yet I'll get flamed by both the Bearkat guys as well as a bunch of blue spray painted chickens that I don't have them in my top 4. Comparing them directly to SDSU, the Jacks have the Cal Poly loss which isn't real bad, but it is worse than the worst bullet point on Chuck's resume which is an overtime loss to NDSU. They also have the Coastal Carolina win as well.

Hahaha great comment at the end.

CSU fans have had enough humility served to us over the years to know not to talk too much trash (except to Citadel ) and not to look too far ahead. If we don't win @ Liberty in November we aren't even in the playoffs so none of this talk matters much right now.

And for the record...CSU is clearly on the better side of the tracks than Citadel. Their home is on a muddy swamp bed full of mosquitoes and smells like horse dung most times (they call it pluff mud) and on the other side sits some of Charlestons poorest and worst ghettos. No thanks!

Thumper 76
October 24th, 2016, 01:00 PM
NDSU and Coastal are 2 of the top FCS programs in America. That's 2. Then Florida State. Has SDSU played 3 teams that combined are better than Florida State, N Dakota State and Coastal?

In fact...show me ONE...just ONE FCS team who has 3 opponents so far that combined are better than those 3?

Florida State. North Dakota State. Coastal Carolina. What FCS team has faced 3 teams better than that so far?

NDSU, TCU, YSU, WIU, Cal Poly. And the FBS part of that argument is weak at best. Oh, and SDSU actually won in Fargo. Next.

YSU and WIU are both ranked above CCU.

NDSUtk
October 24th, 2016, 01:05 PM
MONTANA vs NDSU would be the FCS and NCAAs wet dream come true!!!!
In most years, I'd agree. However this year 2 reasons it isn't:
1) NDSU bought a ton of tickets already. Well, NCAA gets a nice cut on resale market with Flash Seats. So if NDSU doesn't make it, NCAA gets more cash as they get dumped on flash seats.
2) This year the stadium has construction eliminating approximately 4,000 seats from what I've heard. So it will be easier to fill than most years.

ElCid
October 24th, 2016, 01:09 PM

But it would have been better had you just beaten the Bison.:D

Actually the computers have NDSU with the best SOS to date overall. To just pick three games changes the framework needlessly. But I think if you add up Iowa, E Wash, and SDSU, they would come out ahead by just a little bit so your point is still well taken. The problem with CSU is the rest of the schedule. The Big South is down a bit this year. And having 2 Div II on the schedule (with one canx) didn't help. You will still end up with a decent SOS when it is all said and done.

Bucs2016
October 24th, 2016, 01:11 PM
NDSU, TCU, YSU, WIU, Cal Poly. And the FBS part of that argument is weak at best. Oh, and SDSU actually won in Fargo. Next.

YSU and WIU are both ranked above CCU.

Yes they are...because CSU beat Coastal. Hence they dropped in the polls. And yeah you won at NDSU. We lost...bc a FG drifted 1 foot left as time expired. CSU and SDSU are about dead even bro.

That said...unlike you...we aren't gonna whine or celebrate one way or the other over an October bracket. Why? Because it doesn't matter. If we don't win at Liberty we aren't in. Period. SDSU fans should do the same and focus on remaining games.

Fordham
October 24th, 2016, 01:12 PM
guess no sense showing up for next week's game as Fordham is already penciled in, yeah right xcrazyx
yeah, I think that's just someone not paying attention to one of the lesser conferences and just looking at the pre-season predictions. We are decided underdogs on Saturday due to our injury-riddled D and you guys playing well. No sandbagging

grizband
October 24th, 2016, 01:15 PM

Eastern Washington

Washington State
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bucs2016
October 24th, 2016, 01:19 PM
But it would have been better had you just beaten the Bison.:D

Actually the computers have NDSU with the best SOS to date overall. To just pick three games changes the framework needlessly. But I think if you add up Iowa, E Wash, and SDSU, they would come out ahead by just a little bit so your point is still well taken. The problem with CSU is the rest of the schedule. The Big South is down a bit this year. And having 2 Div II on the schedule (with one canx) didn't help. You will still end up with a decent SOS when it is all said and done.

Yes that would've helped a bunch! If only that FG stayed straight and didn't drift 12 inches left...ugh. But it did.

I agree that I don't like the D2 teams on our schedule. I won't bring up The Citadel series much other than to say it would be nice if we had schedule Citadel or another FCS within 6 hours instead. Our schedule is very bipolar. Very very good and very bad.

I think CSU is in a spot of proving it vs earning it. I think we PROVED we are a top 10 team with our performances against Coastal and NDSU. But...I can't deny that there's an argument to say we haven't earned it by playing more quality FCS teams. We are still riding some poll love from the 2015 run. And I think it's fair to say CSU deserves to get it until proven otherwise. Our last 15 games we've beaten The Citadel 2x, Coastal 2x, Liberty 1x, took NDSU to overtime. Only losses other than NDSU were Fla State and Jax State. We aren't top 5. Even 6 or 8 might be a tad high. I'd say 10th is fair.

Oh well. It's all irrelevant if we don't win at Liberty on Nov 19th.

Bucs2016
October 24th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Eastern Washington

Washington State
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hmmm....

Washington State vs Florida State
NDSU vs NDSU
Northern Iowa vs Coastal Carolina

I don't know. I think CSUs 3 have the edge there.

BisonTru
October 24th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Hmmm....

NDSU vs NDSU

Here's the deal, FSU doesn't matter. You guys got beatdown like you would expect any team of any caliber in the FCS to have happen. Eastern beat Washington State. I've already been vocal that I think you guys are a little under the radar, but pushing your schedule as tops in the country just isn't true. You've got some impressive arguments with the Coastal win and the close game in Fargo, there's no need to try and pimp the FSU game as anything other than irrelevant.

Thumper 76
October 24th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Yes they are...because CSU beat Coastal. Hence they dropped in the polls. And yeah you won at NDSU. We lost...bc a FG drifted 1 foot left as time expired. CSU and SDSU are about dead even bro.

That said...unlike you...we aren't gonna whine or celebrate one way or the other over an October bracket. Why? Because it doesn't matter. If we don't win at Liberty we aren't in. Period. SDSU fans should do the same and focus on remaining games.

Your resume isn't even close xlolx Your best argument is we almost won? SDSU has one less top 15 win than you have games vs FCS competition. You have one top 15 win by the skin of your teeth. And why not have some fun talking about this stuff as fans? That's the beauty of being a fan, we get to do that.

Side by side resumes:

vs top 15 SDSU 3-0 CSU 1-1
vs unranked (at the time) SDSU 2-1 CSU 3-0

vs NDSU: SDSU 522 yds offense
CSU 263 yds offense
SDSU 304 yds allowed
CSU 424 yds allowed
SDSU 32:23 TOP
CSU 27:02 TOP

I guess I don't see the "dead even" part "bro". But you keep impressing against Presbyterian. I'm not saying CSU is bad, but I'm saying right now SDSU has a much more impressive resume.

UNIFanSince1983
October 24th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Here's the deal, FSU doesn't matter. You guys got beatdown like you would expect any team of any caliber in the FCS to have happen. Eastern beat Washington State. I've already been vocal that I think you guys are a little under the radar, but pushing your schedule as tops in the country just isn't true. You've got some impressive arguments with the Coastal win and the close game in Fargo, there's no need to try and pimp the FSU game as anything other than irrelevant.

Lest we forget that Wazzu is really pretty good right now. I think they are quite equal to FSU a this point. Wins over Stanford, UCLA, and ASU recently. They are going to be in the conversation for the PAC 12 north title this year. Probably coming down to the Apple Cup.

RootinFerDukes
October 24th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Yes. If you run the table you should get consideration for a top 4 seed.

Nope. That Samford loss will keep them out of the top 4. You're overvaluing the SLC.

BigSouthFan
October 24th, 2016, 01:44 PM
CSU's D1 opponents played have a combined record of 22-12. Include the remaining schedule, combined record of 37-22, a win percentage of 63%. The schedule also includes 3 ranked teams, and 2 other teams with a possibility of being ranked by season's out.

SDSU's D1 opponents played have a combined record of 30-19. Include the remaining schedule, 43-35, a win percentage of 55%. This includes 4 ranked teams, and some squads with a possibility of being ranked by season's out.

All that being said, SDSU still has the tougher schedule one would say, but I don't think it's the landslide that you make it sound like. Like BisonTru said, the perception of CSU and the Big South on AGS is in the dumpster for the most part anyways. People had CSU completely dropped out of their polls after an OT loss to NDSU and a loss to Florida State.

Bucs2016
October 24th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Your resume isn't even close xlolx Your best argument is we almost won? SDSU has one less top 15 win than you have games vs FCS competition. You have one top 15 win by the skin of your teeth. And why not have some fun talking about this stuff as fans? That's the beauty of being a fan, we get to do that.

Side by side resumes:

vs top 15 SDSU 3-0 CSU 1-1
vs unranked (at the time) SDSU 2-1 CSU 3-0

vs NDSU: SDSU 522 yds offense
CSU 263 yds offense
SDSU 304 yds allowed
CSU 424 yds allowed
SDSU 32:23 TOP
CSU 27:02 TOP

I guess I don't see the "dead even" part "bro". But you keep impressing against Presbyterian. I'm not saying CSU is bad, but I'm saying right now SDSU has a much more impressive resume.

I don't agree. It's not "much more". Yall have a great 2 point win vs NDSU. We were 12 inches left of a 3 pt win there. We do have 2 D2 on our schedule. One cancelled due to hurricane. Won't deny that. The scheduling fiasco with The Citadel put us in a bad spot.

But when comparing CSU and NDSU using quality opponent performance...it's a toss up who would win a head to head. Yes...it's dead even. Who knows...maybe yall will get to visit Charleston in December!

(** How yall have over 500+ yards at NDSU but only 19 points?)

Bucs2016
October 24th, 2016, 02:01 PM
CSU's D1 opponents played have a combined record of 22-12. Include the remaining schedule, combined record of 37-22, a win percentage of 63%. The schedule also includes 3 ranked teams, and 2 other teams with a possibility of being ranked by season's out.

SDSU's D1 opponents played have a combined record of 30-19. Include the remaining schedule, 43-35, a win percentage of 55%. This includes 4 ranked teams, and some squads with a possibility of being ranked by season's out.

All that being said, SDSU still has the tougher schedule one would say, but I don't think it's the landslide that you make it sound like. Like BisonTru said, the perception of CSU and the Big South on AGS is in the dumpster for the most part anyways. People had CSU completely dropped out of their polls after an OT loss to NDSU and a loss to Florida State.

Yeah its gonna be an uphill fight for anyone from the Big South. But I can't complain that CSU isn't getting any respect. We absolutely are now. I think we are 1 of the top 10 teams in FCS. Now where they put us in that 10...meh...I don't care too much.

Come playoff time I actually HOPE we are on the road.

Thumper 76
October 24th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I don't agree. It's not "much more". Yall have a great 2 point win vs NDSU. We were 12 inches left of a 3 pt win there. We do have 2 D2 on our schedule. One cancelled due to hurricane. Won't deny that. The scheduling fiasco with The Citadel put us in a bad spot.

But when comparing CSU and NDSU using quality opponent performance...it's a toss up who would win a head to head. Yes...it's dead even. Who knows...maybe yall will get to visit Charleston in December!

Stalled inside the 5 like four times. Went for it on fourth like 6 times in the game and threw a pick in the end zone once. Had a td called not a td that was a td. Is what it is.

mango433
October 24th, 2016, 02:17 PM

Because SDSU had the ball inside the 5 three times and came away with 0 points.

ex189
October 24th, 2016, 02:49 PM
It's way too early and there is a lot of football to be played yet to worry about who gets seeded where and who actually makes the playoffs. Great to conjecture but it doesn't equal much.

MacThor
October 24th, 2016, 08:52 PM

UR had to run the table after that UNH loss including a win over then-#2 JMU. UR also beat Villanova who got the AQ.
I think it was more because ODU was allowed to take a playoff bid from the CAA even though they were leaving for FBS.

70MilesFromCanada
October 25th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Hmmm....

NDSU vs NDSU

NDSU vs NDSU?
Is their JV that good?

Sammy94
October 25th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Is their JV that good?

Well of course it is, this is THE MVFC we are talking about.

Thumper 76
October 25th, 2016, 10:44 AM
NDSU vs NDSU?
Is their JV that good?
He was comparing resumes with EWU and they both played NDSU.

centennial
October 25th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Well of course it is, this is THE MVFC we are talking about.

Would the NDSU JV beat SHSU? We don't know because both of them haven't played anyone good.

bostonspider
October 25th, 2016, 02:30 PM
If either UR or JMU wins out, what do y'all think their seed would be? 10-1 (7-1) with win over UVA for UR, or 10-1 (8-0) with only loss to ranked UNC for JMU.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 25th, 2016, 02:35 PM
^^No matter what the current polls say, i'd be stunned if a 10-1 Richmond or a 10-1 JMU isn't a Top 3 seed, possibly Top 2.

RootinFerDukes
October 25th, 2016, 02:43 PM
^^No matter what the current polls say, i'd be stunned if a 10-1 Richmond or a 10-1 JMU isn't a Top 3 seed, possibly Top 2.

It all really depends on how current teams ahead of us finish. What if they win out? It'd still be good for a top 4 seed for JMU, a 4 or 5 seed for UR.

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2016, 02:47 PM
The loser still has a shot. How good will depend upon the level of chaos...

They do? I don't see it.

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Opening the door for a 6-5 UNI with the top 3 SOS to waltz in.

The garage door? :D

The Pud
October 25th, 2016, 02:51 PM
It all really depends on how current teams ahead of us finish. What if they win out? It'd still be good for a top 4 seed for JMU, a 4 or 5 seed for UR.

The CAA has not done much in playoffs in recent years. Just saying.

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2016, 02:52 PM

2nd rated conference on the east coast? xlolx

RootinFerDukes
October 25th, 2016, 02:54 PM

UR Semi finalist last year. UNH semifinals in 2014. Towson national runner up in 2013. I can keep going.

bostonspider
October 25th, 2016, 02:54 PM

Richmond did get to the semi's last year.

Daytripper
October 25th, 2016, 02:55 PM
If either UR or JMU wins out, what do y'all think their seed would be? 10-1 (7-1) with win over UVA for UR, or 10-1 (8-0) with only loss to ranked UNC for JMU.

The one loss team that beat the other CAA team would have an argument for a top two. But, it would depend on who loses in front of them. If SHSU runs the table and beats a one-loss Central Arkansas team in the final game of the season, that will help justify their high ranking more than anything they have done this season. The committee will have a very difficult time if all the top teams run the table - NDSU, JSU, EWU, SHSU, JMU or Richmond, Citadel. This season's playoffs could be wide-freakin'-open.

The Pud
October 25th, 2016, 02:55 PM
UR Semi finalist last year. UNH semifinals in 2014. Towson national runner up in 2013. I can keep going.

Same could be said about Southland Conference too sir.

ElCid
October 25th, 2016, 03:00 PM

Well I guess that depends if The Citadel goes 10-1 with the only lose to the Ranked UNC as well. The only difference being the Dogs would have an overall higher SOS. At least according to Massey's final estimate (this obviously changes each week as games are played). A lot can change in the last 4 games though in regard to SOS depending on if teams crap the bed... or shine.

"Estimated" final # and rating SOS in all of Div I
The Citadel - #152 - 32.40 Same FBS opponent as JMU (Current Sagarin SOS # is 168)
Richmond - #175 - 28.66, also has the bonus of FBS win, albeit to a hideous Virginia currently 2-5. (Current Sagarin SOS # is 173)
James Madison - #181 - 27.88 Same FBS opponent as The Citadel (Current Sagarin SOS # is 200)

But no matter how you slice it, all three are still better than SHSU :D
SHSU - #202 - 22.85 (Current Sagarin SOS # is 230)\

Eh, lots of games left. I got a feeling one or two will drop the ball somewhere to make this issue moot.

bostonspider
October 25th, 2016, 03:02 PM

Except that before the recent NDSU dominance, the CAA won just a few titles.

RootinFerDukes
October 25th, 2016, 03:06 PM

Oh, you mean one single team and not half the CAA in addition to many former members?

CappinHard
October 25th, 2016, 03:11 PM
The committee will have a very difficult time if all the top teams run the table - NDSU, JSU, EWU, SDSU, JMU or Richmond, Citadel. This season's playoffs could be wide-freakin'-open.

Fify. If the committee does it right, SHSU shouldn't be in the top 6 seeds, SDSU should be as long as they win out.

RootinFerDukes
October 25th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Fify. If the committee does it right, SHSU shouldn't be in the top 6 seeds, SDSU should be as long as they win out.

Yep if all top 8 teams currently win out (JMU/UR loser the lone exception), then SHSU would be 7th or 8th seed in that scenario just based on SOS. There's no way the committee could justify them that high.

Thumper 76
October 25th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Well we're going to find out pretty quick only 9 days till the committee releases their top ten poll. THAT is going to be fun.

Katfan
October 25th, 2016, 03:20 PM
One team does not a conference make

The Pud
October 25th, 2016, 03:22 PM
One team does not a conference make

if 1 team, or if 10 teams make it to semis or finals, it is still a conference team sir, i.e. conference representative.

WileECoyote06
October 25th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Well we're going to find out pretty quick only 9 days till the committee releases their top ten poll. THAT is going to be fun.

This site might shut down. xlolx

Katfan
October 25th, 2016, 03:25 PM
if 1 team, or if 10 teams make it to semis or finals, it is still a conference team sir, i.e. conference representative.
Agree but it says nothing as to how good a conference may or may not be

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2016, 03:25 PM
UNI should be the #1 seed. We had a tough schedule and our new QB threw for over 400 yards against Missouri State. :D

Bucs2016
October 25th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Well I guess that depends if The Citadel goes 10-1 with the only lose to the Ranked UNC as well. The only difference being the Dogs would have an overall higher SOS. At least according to Massey's final estimate (this obviously changes each week as games are played). A lot can change in the last 4 games though in regard to SOS depending on if teams crap the bed... or shine.

"Estimated" final # and rating SOS in all of Div I
The Citadel - #152 - 32.40 Same FBS opponent as JMU (Current Sagarin SOS # is 168)
Richmond - #175 - 28.66, also has the bonus of FBS win, albeit to a hideous Virginia currently 2-5. (Current Sagarin SOS # is 173)
James Madison - #181 - 27.88 Same FBS opponent as The Citadel (Current Sagarin SOS # is 200)

But no matter how you slice it, all three are still better than SHSU :D
SHSU - #202 - 22.85 (Current Sagarin SOS # is 230)\

Eh, lots of games left. I got a feeling one or two will drop the ball somewhere to make this issue moot.

You know the football God's are laughing....as its almost destiny that The Citadel vs Charleston Southern is gonna happen in the playoffs....

ElCid
October 25th, 2016, 03:54 PM
You know the football God's are laughing....as its almost destiny that The Citadel vs Charleston Southern is gonna happen in the playoffs....

Probably, but not necessarily. A huge longshot, but what would really be funny is that we are on different sides of the bracket and we play each other in the championship game, 1500 miles away from home. Then the football gods would really be laughing. Maybe we could get a dispensation to have the game in Chucktown.:D I know, dream on.

Daytripper
October 25th, 2016, 04:03 PM

Cool. You are correct about SDSU. You may not think SHSU should be in the mix, but they will be.

ngineer
October 25th, 2016, 08:57 PM

Lehigh is #7 in the power rankings and he has us out looking in? Nuts.

blackfordpu
October 25th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Cool. You are correct about SDSU. You may not think SHSU should be in the mix, but they will be.

The unbridled hate for SHSU is scary, funny but scary. You'd think we went around and kicked everyones dogs.

seattlespider
October 25th, 2016, 11:55 PM

Your original claim was that the CAA hadn't done much in recent years. When that was proven hilariously wrong, you changed to an argument about the Southland Conference that nobody was making. Quit while you're behind.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 26th, 2016, 05:24 AM
The unbridled hate for SHSU is scary, funny but scary. You'd think we went around and kicked everyones dogs.

You only kicked the older dogs with assorted medical issues. And very small dogs. Dogs that couldn't fight back. That's the problem.

Catatonic
October 26th, 2016, 06:23 AM
You only kicked the older dogs with assorted medical issues. And very small dogs. Dogs that couldn't fight back. That's the problem.

Now that was funny right there. Don't agree with it. But I like it.

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Your original claim was that the CAA hadn't done much in recent years. When that was proven hilariously wrong, you changed to an argument about the Southland Conference that nobody was making. Quit while you're behind.

maybe he was thinking back to when the CAA was scary good, dominated the FCS like MVFC fans wish they were doing today... haha

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2016, 08:44 AM

Wow. You know the hate is good when it digs up posters who have been gone for 4 years.

SHSU 3
CSU 1

Daytripper
October 26th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Wow. You know the hate is good when it digs up posters who have been gone for 4 years.

SHSU 3
CSU 1

https://media.giphy.com/media/ewFAM2ATdw9Ne/giphy.gif

The Pud
October 26th, 2016, 09:29 AM

my point was that you guys think CAA is all that, but to remind you the SLC has had a representative in the semis or finals over the past 5 years.

The Pud
October 26th, 2016, 09:30 AM
maybe he was thinking back to when the CAA was scary good, dominated the FCS like MVFC fans wish they were doing today... haha

Sammy has handled the CAA representatives very well in the playoffs over the past 5 years.

xlolxxnodx

Matt
October 26th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Sammy has handled the CAA representatives very well in the playoffs over the past 5 years.

xlolxxnodx

but this wasnt the argument you were making either... Several people have pointed out how you are wrong here. Is not having a title since 09 your criteria? Bc that's dumb as ****. IIRC, since our last title, we've had 7 different teams appear in the playoffs, 5 different teams make the semis, and two finalists. We didn't exactly turn into the Patriot League (no offense, guys).

The Pud
October 26th, 2016, 10:25 AM
but this wasnt the argument you were making either... Several people have pointed out how you are wrong here. Is not having a title since 09 your criteria? Bc that's dumb as ****. IIRC, since our last title, we've had 7 different teams appear in the playoffs, 5 different teams make the semis, and two finalists. We didn't exactly turn into the Patriot League (no offense, guys).

For the reading impaired I will repeat once again:

xlolx:Dxnodx

Gangtackle11
October 26th, 2016, 11:04 AM

Matt,

I have learned you are wasting your time. Several (not all), posters from that side of the world believe football was created in the MVFC. They rest on the laurels of NDSU & some bogus OOC record that has little credence given the small sample size against the likes of the CAA.

These posters do not give respect to the CAA and try to belittle the conference as they collectively jump in behind the success of NDSU.

They will post time & time again about how they have to go through Fargo every year for their lack of FCS championship appearances.

They have convinced themselves that if only we could miss NDSU in December that we would get there too! No one else outside the MVFC would have a chance. Is what it is.

Most don't have a sense of FCS history past this NDSU run & will come on here and try to belittle any CAA or other Eastern based conference at the drop of the hat.

They get upset that the east won't travel west consistently to prove their comments here. They ignore that there is enough FCS football in a tight geographic area with rivalries stretching back 100+ years in some cases that most eastern FCS teams don't see the benefits of going to Cedar Falls or Brookings, SD.

My experience there is good football everywhere. Sometimes it runs in cycles. Villanova has played SHSU, SFA, Montana, & EWU (maybe another, but my memory may have failed me) in the past decade and it's been pretty much a draw.

The CAA has had Villanova, Delaware, Richmond, & JMU win FCS championships in the last 15 years or so. Towson made it to the finals. UNH made it to the semi-finals. Maine and W&M have been representative in the playoffs.

Good football is everywhere, but like this post it will be beaten down by the MVFC posters who want you to believe no one outside their league plays quality football. They won't stop the bashing until they have the final four teams playing every year in the FCS playoffs.

Good luck with that.

In the end they don't respect any Eastern football team.

Let the MVFC attacks begin.....

Matt
October 26th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Matt,

I have learned you are wasting your time. Several (not all), posters from that side of the world believe football was created in the MVFC. They rest on the laurels of NDSU & some bogus OOC record that has little credence given the small sample size against the likes of the CAA.

These posters do not give respect to the CAA and try to belittle the conference as they collectively jump in behind the success of NDSU.

They will post time & time again about how they have to go through Fargo every year for their lack of FCS championship appearances.

They have convinced themselves that if only we could miss NDSU in December that we would get there too! No one else outside the MVFC would have a chance. Is what it is.

Most don't have a sense of FCS history past this NDSU run & will come on here and try to belittle any CAA or other Eastern based conference at the drop of the hat.

They get upset that the east won't travel west consistently to prove their comments here. They ignore that there is enough FCS football in a tight geographic area with rivalries stretching back 100+ years in some cases that most eastern FCS teams don't see the benefits of going to Cedar Falls or Brookings, SD.

My experience there is good football everywhere. Sometimes it runs in cycles. Villanova has played SHSU, SFA, Montana, & EWU (maybe another, but my memory may have failed me) in the past decade and it's been pretty much a draw.

The CAA has had Villanova, Delaware, Richmond, & JMU win FCS championships in the last 15 years or so. Towson made it to the finals. UNH made it to the semi-finals. Maine and W&M have been representative in the playoffs.

Good football is everywhere, but like this post it will be beaten down by the MVFC posters who want you to believe no one outside their league plays quality football. They won't stop the bashing until they have the final four teams playing every year in the FCS playoffs.

Good luck with that.

In the end they don't respect any Eastern football team.

Let the MVFC attacks begin.....

Yeah thats become clear to me. Although, interestingly, I've found NDSU fans to be pretty cool overall. Maybe that's cockiness disguised as midwestern friendliness. idk. Anyhow, the dude's argument about the CAA being underwhelming that turned into "durr Sammy is good" was a joke. I think that by any measure, the CAA has been the best conference of the last 20 years or so.

Gangtackle11
October 26th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Yeah thats become clear to me. Although, interestingly, I've found NDSU fans to be pretty cool overall. Maybe that's cockiness disguised as midwestern friendliness. idk. Anyhow, the dude's argument about the CAA being underwhelming that turned into "durr Sammy is good" was a joke. I think that by any measure, the CAA has been the best conference of the last 20 years or so.

it doesn't come from NDSU fans usually.....

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2016, 12:28 PM

xlolxxnodx

5 years? you have to go back a little further to understand what the CAA was.. and what the MVFC is not

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Matt,

I call this the Paul McCartney and Wings Conference ..... McCartney was the legend and just who the heck are Wings anyway.....

kalm
October 26th, 2016, 01:02 PM
I call this the Paul McCartney and Wings Conference ..... McCartney was the legend and just who the heck are Wings anyway.....

The back up band that has as many NC appearances this decade as the CAA?

The Pud
October 26th, 2016, 01:04 PM
5 years? you have to go back a little further to understand what the CAA was.. and what the MVFC is not

Stop living in the past sir. Ever heard of the saying "what have you done lately?"

xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Guys, guys, guys. This isn't about the MVFC vs the CAA. This is about all of us, teaming up on Sam Houston State and the SLC. xlolx

Matt
October 26th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Guys, guys, guys. This isn't about the MVFC vs the CAA. This is about all of us, teaming up on Sam Houston State and the SLC. xlolx

Im having a lot of trouble finding the years that "Sammy" (or any current SLC member) won a national title. Can i get some help?

Matt
October 26th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Im having a lot of trouble finding the years that "Sammy" (or any current SLC member) won a national title. Can i get some help?

Never mind. Got it. 1987. Super.

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2016, 01:41 PM

But you saw their runner up shirts, right? xlolx

BisonTru
October 26th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Here is the FCSWedge/AGS Bracket.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rWgIUmBjLtpnco6GrX9NjFP8wIs1nqeu0-WSYJEistM/edit#gid=0

- The bracket is put together using the AGS poll for both the seeds and at-larges.

Here is thefcswedge podcast with some commentary on the bracket as well as other FCS reviews/previews.

http://thefcswedge.com/the-fcs-wedge/the-fcs-wedge-2016-1026-listen-up/

Bracketology stuff starts at the 27:00 mark.

kalm
October 26th, 2016, 02:55 PM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rWgIUmBjLtpnco6GrX9NjFP8wIs1nqeu0-WSYJEistM/edit#gid=0

- The bracket is put together using the AGS poll for both the seeds and at-larges.

Here is thefcspodcast with some commentary on the bracket as well as other FCS reviews/previews.

This was a fantastic idea, Tru! Very helpful and the best bracket out there.

The Pud
October 26th, 2016, 03:08 PM

This doesn't change the fact that.............Sammy has handled the CAA representatives very well in the playoffs over the past 5 years.

:Dxthumbsupxxlolxxnodx

Sammy94
October 26th, 2016, 03:10 PM

Yes please

JSUSoutherner
October 26th, 2016, 03:16 PM

Here is thefcspodcast with some commentary on the bracket as well as other FCS reviews/previews.

The Bison in Jacksonville? Hell yes.

dewey
October 26th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Here is a bracket by Bison Media Blog posters Dom Izzo and Jeff Kolpack.

https://www.bisonmediazone.com/2016-bracketology-7-0/

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23751&stc=1

Dewey

Silenoz
October 26th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Regionalization can go die

Bison56
October 26th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Regionalization can go die

xnodx

Toby
October 26th, 2016, 03:55 PM
2nd rated conference on the east coast? xlolx

Massey FCS Composite Rankings by Conference:

MV 1
SoCon 2
Big Sky 3
Big South 4
Colonial 5
OVC 6
Southland 7
Ivy 8
Patriot 9
NE 10
Mid-Eastern11
Pioneer 12
SW 13

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Massey FCS Composite Rankings by Conference:

MV 1
SoCon 2
Big Sky 3
Big South 4
Colonial 5
OVC 6
Southland 7
Ivy 8
Patriot 9
NE 10
Mid-Eastern11
Pioneer 12
SW 13

Ahh. Computers.

Toby
October 26th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Ahh. Computers.

A composite of 40 different programs to be precise. But if you have a better way to analyze the conference rankings, I'm all ears.

centennial
October 26th, 2016, 04:10 PM
A composite of 40 different programs to be precise. But if you have a better way to analyze the conference rankings, I'm all ears.
When we say CAA is the greatest conference except the SEC, we mean it. You better fall in line.

kalm
October 26th, 2016, 04:26 PM

Yes...common sense.

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2016, 04:45 PM

Are they the MVFC? yes or no
Non conference wins?

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I'd put the SoCon at 4 right now.

Matt
October 26th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Wow this really pushed some SLC buttons

ngineer
October 26th, 2016, 07:59 PM
I see Lehigh running the table and hosting a home game in round one versus the NEC champ or a CAA 2nd or 3rd placer.

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2016, 08:39 PM
The back up band that has as many NC appearances this decade as the CAA?

2010 Delaware

Toby
October 26th, 2016, 10:21 PM
Are they the MVFC? yes or no
Non conference wins?

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I'd put the SoCon at 4 right now.

That's the thing with "personal opinions" and "common sense" and a...holes. Everyone has one. Give me data not opinions.

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2016, 11:01 PM
That's the thing with "personal opinions" and "common sense" and a...holes. Everyone has one. Give me data not opinions.

Non conference wins is data. I know you don't have any good ones, but it is data nonetheless. ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 26th, 2016, 11:43 PM
I see Lehigh running the table and hosting a home game in round one versus the NEC champ or a CAA 2nd or 3rd placer.

IF Lehigh does win out I think they have a great chance to host. They have the facilities and the money to do so.

That Monmouth game could cost them a shot at a seed and likely and at large bid should they fall to Fordham.

CappinHard
October 27th, 2016, 12:03 AM
The Bison in Jacksonville? Hell yes.

I doubt the Bison would play SDSU in Jacksonville. Although that would be nice, I'm sure it would be in Fargo being that they would be the higher seed in this scenario. xrolleyesx

JSUSoutherner
October 27th, 2016, 12:54 AM
I doubt the Bison would play SDSU in Jacksonville. Although that would be nice, I'm sure it would be in Fargo being that they would be the higher seed in this scenario. xrolleyesx
I would enjoy having you guys in town as well. That would be a fun game.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 05:48 AM
IF Lehigh does win out I think they have a great chance to host. They have the facilities and the money to do so.

That Monmouth game could cost them a shot at a seed and likely and at large bid should they fall to Fordham.

Last Patriot League team to be seeded?

The Pud
October 27th, 2016, 07:53 AM

I personally believe Lehigh will be the surprise team in these playoffs.

kalm
October 27th, 2016, 08:08 AM
So here's an interesting scenario I posted on the Redzone:

EWU loses to Poly and finishes 9-2 along with NDSU, SDSU, UND, and Poly. How would you seed those 5 teams?

dewey
October 27th, 2016, 08:28 AM

EWU loses to Poly and finishes 9-2 along with NDSU, SDSU, UND, and Poly. How would you seed those 5 teams?

I think it depends on who EWU and Cal Poly lose to. If EWU loses to Cal Poly I still think EWU gets the seed over Cal Poly due to the resume that EWU would have.

#1 NDSU (Win over top 10 CSU, win over top 5 EWU, Win over FBS Iowa, Win over top 15 WIU, Win over top 15 YSU (assuming that isn't the 2nd loss), win over top 25 USD. No bad losses (assuming it is to UNI or YSU and not Indiana State))
#2 EWU (Win over FBS Washington State, loss at #1 NDSU, Win over top 20 Montana (assuming that is a win), win over top 25 UNI)
#3 SDSU (Win over #1 NDSU, win over top 15 YSU, win over top 25 USD, win over top 25 UNI (maybe top 25)
#4 Cal Poly (Win at SDSU, loss to FBS Nevada, win over top 20 Montana, maybe a win over top 5 EWU)
#5 UND (Loss to FBS Bowling Green, good wins. top 25 USD, win over Cal Poly)

The hard thing is where does JSU, SHSU, The Citadel, Richmond and Chattanooga fit in there as well.

The hardest thing to me is how many good wins does it take to make up a loss?

Dewey

blackfordpu
October 27th, 2016, 08:46 AM
I think it depends on who EWU and Cal Poly lose to. If EWU loses to Cal Poly I still think EWU gets the seed over Cal Poly due to the resume that EWU would have.

#1 NDSU (Win over top 10 CSU, win over top 5 EWU, Win over FBS Iowa, Win over top 15 WIU, Win over top 15 YSU (assuming that isn't the 2nd loss), win over top 25 USD. No bad losses (assuming it is to UNI or YSU and not Indiana State))
#2 EWU (Win over FBS Washington State, loss at #1 NDSU, Win over top 20 Montana (assuming that is a win), win over top 25 UNI)
#3 SDSU (Win over #1 NDSU, win over top 15 YSU, win over top 25 USD, win over top 25 UNI (maybe top 25)
#4 Cal Poly (Win at SDSU, loss to FBS Nevada, win over top 20 Montana, maybe a win over top 5 EWU)

The hard thing is where does JSU, SHSU, The Citadel, Richmond and Chattanooga fit in there as well.

Dewey
Hate to burst your bubble but if, IF, SHSU wins out they will get the #1 or #2 seed.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

kalm
October 27th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but if, IF, SHSU wins out they will get the #1 or #2 seed.

Not to burst your bubble but he didn't say they wouldn't.

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2016, 08:49 AM

You better hope that EWU and NDSU both don't win out if that's the line you're drawing.

F'N Hawks
October 27th, 2016, 08:53 AM

If NDSU and EWU win out, those are your #1 and #2 seeds.

SHSU needs both of them to lose another game for any shot. SHSU can go 11-0 and they would still be the #3 or #4 seed.

The Pud
October 27th, 2016, 08:54 AM

Should play out something like this:

#1 Sammy
#2 NDSU
#3 JSU
#4 EWU
#5 Chattanoga

xthumbsupx

kalm
October 27th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Should play out something like this:

#1 Sammy
#2 NDSU
#3 JSU
#4 EWU
#5 Chattanoga

xthumbsupx

You're as astute as Blackfordpu.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 09:06 AM

Dewey

They all finish 9-2 and Richmond (FBS win over UVA, top 20 wins over Villanova, & JMU) runs the table to finish 10-1, The Citadel, along with SHSU & Jax State finish strong & these teams may start lining up at the #5 seed although the MVFC AQ & if EWU wins the BS conference will push some down due to SOS.

*note if you can call UNI maybe top 25 then Richmond can claim UAlbany as a "maybe" top 25.

Daytripper
October 27th, 2016, 09:09 AM
You better hope that EWU and NDSU both don't win out if that's the line you're drawing.

The determining factor will be whether the committee members who seed the playoffs are more aligned with (influenced by?) the STATS voters/poll and the Coaches' poll or the AGS voters. Or will the computer rankings play a significant part? Which influence will hold the most weight? Interesting questions.

kalm
October 27th, 2016, 09:10 AM
They all finish 9-2 and Richmond (FBS win over UVA, top 20 wins over Villanova, & JMU) runs the table to finish 10-1, The Citadel, along with SHSU & Jax State finish strong & these teams may start lining up at the #5 seed although the MVFC AQ & if EWU wins the BS conference will push some down due to SOS.

Maybe but I was asking about these 5 teams because of the H2H.

- - - Updated - - -

The determining factor will be whether the committee members who seed the playoffs are more aligned with (influenced by?) the STATS voters/poll and the Coaches' poll or the AGS voters.

Or maybe they just do their job by comparimg resumes and use their own poll?

The Pud
October 27th, 2016, 09:10 AM
You're as astute as Blackfordpu.

Sorry your feelings get hurt so easily.

Daytripper
October 27th, 2016, 09:12 AM

- - - Updated - - -

In a perfect world, yes. But I guarantee you that they at least look at other polls if only for a point of reference to begin their own research.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 09:20 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Gotcha. I thought you were suggesting seeds 1-5 in the national FCS playoffs not just the 5 teams that have played common opponents out west. xpeacexxpeacexxpeacexxpeacex

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2016, 09:22 AM
The determining factor will be whether the committee members who seed the playoffs are more aligned with (influenced by?) the STATS voters/poll and the Coaches' poll or the AGS voters. Or will the computer rankings play a significant part? Which influence will hold the most weight? Interesting questions.
The answer, at least if they follow the process they're supposed to, is none except the SRS (Simple Ratings System) which is a computer based ranking developed by the NCAA during the 2013 season. Personally, I think the SRS is a bigger joke than any of the major polls (which are generally jokes in themselves) but the committee definitely has not followed SRS to a tee. The committee chair said last year that seeds are determined by an anonymous poll with each committee member voting their top 8 teams and the results are compiled similar to the STATS, Coach's, or AGS polls.

Another note about the SRS, it's just a computer formula (like RPI in basketball) so they could release the algorithm so others could post the rankings as the season goes along or they could just post the results themselves before the end of the regular season but they don't because, IMO, they know it's garbage.

FWIW, 10-0 McNeese was 4th among playoff eligible teams in the SRS last year and were seeded 4th. Here's the full list of results last year (so you can see for yourself how bad it is): http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?178282-2015-SRS-Revealed&highlight=simple+ratings+system+2015

F'N Hawks
October 27th, 2016, 09:26 AM
The polls are not discussed, per a GF Herald article with Mark Wilson after last years selections. Its the Simple Rating System (which sucks ballz) and NCAA Scoring System (anybody have any idea what that is?).

They look at three things: Quality Wins, Strength of Schedule, and Bad Losses. Which is a lie because he went on the Fargo radio the next week and talked about "quality losses" as a big factor.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/3890049-college-football-selection-chair-explains-playoff-process

blackfordpu
October 27th, 2016, 09:26 AM
If NDSU and EWU win out, those are your #1 and #2 seeds.

SHSU needs both of them to lose another game for any shot. SHSU can go 11-0 and they would still be the #3 or #4 seed.
We will have to agree to disagree and wait to see what happens. The playoff committee has shown that they will give the benefit of the doubt to the teams that show consistent playoff success. SHSU has been a recipient if this a couple of times and have rewarded the committees confidence with playoff success. SHSU loses a game then they will just have to be happy with what they're given.

You can bitch and moan all you want about SHSU but the fact remains that they have been the most dominant team in FCS, not named ndsu, the past six years.

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2016, 09:30 AM

Dewey
It depends on how they weight the FBS wins vs FCS losses. In that scenario both SDSU and Cal Poly would both be 9-1 vs FCS. SDSU would have a very strong argument over NDSU having been undefeated in the MVFC, the H2H with NDSU, a bunch of top 15 wins (WIU was 8 at the time) and only one FCS loss.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 09:30 AM
We will have to agree to disagree and wait to see what happens. The playoff committee has shown that they will give the benefit of the doubt to the teams that show consistent playoff success. SHSU has been a recipient if this a couple of times and have rewarded the committees confidence with playoff success. SHSU loses a game then they will just have to be happy with what they're given.

You can bitch and moan all you want about SHSU but the fact remains that they have been the most dominant team in FCS, not named ndsu, the past six years.

No argument here from a guy who looks at the FCS being more than the MVFC. Plus you got an ex-dirty birds coach which should irk us Cats fans!

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2016, 09:32 AM

We're going to find out soon enough when the poll that really matters is released. The committee is releasing their top ten poll the last three weeks of the season this year. Remember where McNeese was seeded last year.

WrenFGun
October 27th, 2016, 09:33 AM

Wish they'd go out and play someone. Committee is basically suggesting they don't have to with the selection process.

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2016, 09:34 AM
The playoff committee has shown that they will give the benefit of the doubt to the teams that show consistent playoff success.
When?

In 2011 NDSU, who to that point had one playoff appearance, was controversially seeded at #2 over Georgia Southern (who was #3).

In 2014 UNH was seeded #1 over NDSU. UNH did make the semis the previous year but that was their deepest run ever and they lost to the same NDSU team they were seeded above (and who was coming off of it's 3rd straight title).

In 2015 Illinois St was seeded at #2 over NDSU. Again, they were coming off a title game appearance the previous year (of course losing to NDSU) but that doesn't hold a candle to what NDSU had done over the last 4.

Show me an example or any quote from a selection committee member that backs up that past year's playoff performances has anything to do with their placement of teams. Because everything I've seen has been to the contrary in that this year is all they take into account.

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2016, 09:35 AM
No argument here from a guy who looks at the FCS being more than the MVFC. Plus you got an ex-dirty birds coach which should irk us Cats fans!
You keep pimping that MVFC fans have that attitude. I haven't seen them running around saying anything about CAA teams or SoCon teams being ranked too high. The only major arguments I've seen have been around SHSU and once about CSU. But hey, if you say something enough it becomes the truth right?

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Wish they'd go out and play someone. Committee is basically suggesting they don't have to with the selection process.

That is the heart of the matter, but they are playing with the rules set forth. Donald Trump of the FCS! Ironic they are close to the border too!! xsmiley_wix

PantherRob82
October 27th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Sorry your feelings get hurt so easily.

says a fan of the team who got their feelings hurt and went to their message boards to drum up support

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 09:41 AM
You keep pimping that MVFC fans have that attitude. I haven't seen them running around saying anything about CAA teams or SoCon teams being ranked too high. The only major arguments I've seen have been around SHSU and once about CSU. But hey, if you say something enough it becomes the truth right?

No most of the time you guys (a few not all) just lump us all together and say we suck in general. Just evening it out because as you say tell people enough it becomes the truth. Goes both ways.

Nodak78
October 27th, 2016, 09:50 AM
The polls are not discussed, per a GF Herald article with Mark Wilson after last years selections. Its the Simple Rating System (which sucks ballz) and NCAA Scoring System (anybody have any idea what that is?).

They look at three things: Quality Wins, Strength of Schedule, and Bad Losses. Which is a lie because he went on the Fargo radio the next week and talked about "quality losses" as a big factor.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/3890049-college-football-selection-chair-explains-playoff-process

Last Year the committee didn't use the SRS as it was suppose to. The SRS don't rate the wins or loses as quality. Only if the win or loss is a home or away and then assigned a weight accordingly. If they followed that. If the committee followed the process we would have been in before WIU and EIU.

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2016, 09:50 AM
No most of the time you guys (a few not all) just lump us all together and say we suck in general. Just evening it out because as you say tell people enough it becomes the truth. Goes both ways.
No, not really. But you keep telling yourself that if it makes you sleep well at night.

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Last Year the committee didn't use the SRS as it was suppose to. The SRS don't rate the wins or loses as quality. Only if the win or loss is a home or away and then assigned a weight accordingly. If they followed that. If the committee followed the process we would have been in before WIU and EIU.
How are they supposed to use the SRS? If they used the SRS to set the field UND wouldn't have been anywhere near it last year. They were certainly well below both EIU and WIU.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?178282-2015-SRS-Revealed

Daytripper
October 27th, 2016, 09:55 AM

All I am saying is that the committee is human. While they may publicly state that there is a 'process' they follow, there is still subjectivity involved in the seeding process. I am assuming the committee members are interested in (if not fans of) FCS football and follow it accordingly. At home on their IPad they are going to see the national rankings and, on an unconscious level, potentially be influenced by them. I am not saying this to justify a seed for any particular team, I am just highlighting the fact that polls will likely play a part in the final seeding.

F'N Hawks
October 27th, 2016, 09:56 AM
How are they supposed to use the SRS? If they used the SRS to set the field UND wouldn't have been anywhere near it last year. They were certainly well below both EIU and WIU.

New Hampshire?

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2016, 09:58 AM
New Hampshire?
Yup, proof that they don't use the SRS to set the field. While the top 13 eligible at large teams in the SRS were selected into the field last year having UNH as that outlier for the final selection really shows their hand.

Matt
October 27th, 2016, 10:02 AM

FWIW they DID agree to play us (because Boston College begged out of our scheduled game). Of course that's next year, after we graduate most of our starters from this year's team, so who knows if we will learn anything. I'm hopeful we'll end up seeing them in the playoffs this year.

Sammy94
October 27th, 2016, 10:09 AM
I am just highlighting the fact that polls will likely play a part in the final seeding.

The fact that the final regular season #1 in the polls has always been the #1 seed, may justify that.

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2016, 10:20 AM
All I am saying is that the committee is human. While they may publicly state that there is a 'process' they follow, there is still subjectivity involved in the seeding process. I am assuming the committee members are interested in (if not fans of) FCS football and follow it accordingly. At home on their IPad they are going to see the national rankings and, on an unconscious level, potentially be influenced by them. I am not saying this to justify a seed for any particular team, I am just highlighting the fact that polls will likely play a part in the final seeding.
Well, let's use last year again as a case study.

Playoff seedings:
1) Jacksonville St
2) Illinois St
3) North Dakota St
4) McNeese St
5) James Madison
6) Portland St
7) Richmond
8) Charleston Southern

Final Regular Season AGS Poll
1) Jacksonville St (-)
2) North Dakota St (-1)
3) McNeese St (-1)
4) Illinois St (+2)
5) Portland St (-1)
6) James Madison (+1)
7) Charleston Southern (-1)
8) South Dakota St (NR)
9) Richmond (+2)

Final Regular Season STATS Poll
1) Jacksonville St (-)
2) North Dakota St (-1)
3) McNeese St (-1)
4) Illinois St (+2)
5) Portland St (-1)
6) Sam Houston St (NR)
7) Chattanooga (NR)
8) James Madison (+3)
9) Charleston Southern (+1)
12) Richmond (+5)

Final Regular Season Coach's Poll
1) Jacksonville St (-)
2) McNeese (-2)
3) North Dakota St (-)
4) Illinois St (+2)
5) Portland St (-1)
6) James Madison (+1)
8) Chattanooga (NR)
11) Richmond (+4)

Final 2015 SRS (among eligible teams)
1) Illinois St (-1)
2) North Dakota St (-1)
3) Jacksonville St (+2)
4) McNeese St (-)
5) Portland St (-1)
6) James Madison (+1)
7) South Dakota St (NR)
8) William & Mary (NR)
16) Richmond (+9)

Point being I don't really think any of the polls have a big effect on the committee's seeds, least of all their SRS. That's good IMO, they should look at each team on their merits and come up with their own opinion. That's what all the voters in the above human polls should be doing as well. But some polls are better than others when it comes to predicting the playoff field. My biased opinion is that AGS is much better than STATS or the Coach's poll and year after year the selection committee appears to back that up in terms of the teams they select and their seedings.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2016, 10:30 AM
No, not really. But you keep telling yourself that if it makes you sleep well at night.

Same applies to you. Agree to disagree. Sleep well.

Matt
October 27th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Well, let's use last year again as a case study.

Playoff seedings:
1) Jacksonville St
2) Illinois St
3) North Dakota St
4) McNeese St
5) James Madison
6) Portland St
7) Richmond
8) Charleston Southern

Final Regular Season AGS Poll
1) Jacksonville St (-)
2) North Dakota St (-1)
3) McNeese St (-1)
4) Illinois St (+2)
5) Portland St (-1)
6) James Madison (+1)
8) South Dakota St (NR)
9) Richmond (+2)

Final Regular Season STATS Poll
1) Jacksonville St (-)
2) North Dakota St (-1)
3) McNeese St (-1)
4) Illinois St (+2)
5) Portland St (-1)
6) Sam Houston St (NR)
7) Chattanooga (NR)
8) James Madison (+3)
12) Richmond (+5)

Final Regular Season Coach's Poll
1) Jacksonville St (-)
2) McNeese (-2)
3) North Dakota St (-)
4) Illinois St (+2)
5) Portland St (-1)
6) James Madison (+1)
8) Chattanooga (NR)
11) Richmond (+4)

Final 2015 SRS (among eligible teams)
1) Illinois St (-1)
2) North Dakota St (-1)
3) Jacksonville St (+2)
4) McNeese St (-)
5) Portland St (-1)
6) James Madison (+1)
7) South Dakota St (NR)
8) William & Mary (NR)
16) Richmond (+9)

Point being I don't really think any of the polls have a big effect on the committee's seeds, least of all their SRS. That's good IMO, they should look at each team on their merits and come up with their own opinion. That's what all the voters in the above human polls should be doing as well. But some polls are better than others when it comes to predicting the playoff field. My biased opinion is that AGS is much better than STATS or the Coach's poll and year after year the selection committee appears to back that up in terms of the teams they select and their seedings.

we finished 3 and 4 in the final STATS and Coaches Polls last season.

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2016, 10:36 AM
we finished 3 and 4 in the final STATS and Coaches Polls last season.
Probably right, that would make sense. That wasn't the point of my post though. My point was how the final regular season polls stacked up or didn't stack up with how the playoff committee set their seeds.

Matt
October 27th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Probably right, that would make sense. That wasn't the point of my post though. My point was how the final regular season polls stacked up or didn't stack up with how the playoff committee set their seeds.

sorry. misunderstood. EDIT: jesus christ i just realized you literally wrote "regular season." im a ****in idiot

Nodak78
October 27th, 2016, 12:18 PM

I don't have the equation they sited for the SRS now. But last I used the formula and UND was higher than both EIU and WIU.

milleniumkat
October 27th, 2016, 09:29 PM
So how is the actual seeding finally determined and who is it that makes the final call?

"I'll not be pawed at. I have not yet begun to defile myself"

BisonTru
October 27th, 2016, 09:45 PM
So how is the actual seeding finally determined and who is it that makes the final call?

There's a committee of representatives from every participating conference. They discuss the teams weekly and finally meet in Indy after the final weekend, and after some more conversation. They vote.

Here's a thread on the committee and the process. http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?186980-Playoff-Selection-and-Hosting-Quidelines

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2016, 09:47 PM

You really should make your avatar Doc Holliday

milleniumkat
October 27th, 2016, 09:51 PM
There's a committee of representatives from every participating conference. They discuss the teams weekly and finally meet in Indy after the final weekend, and after some more conversation. They vote.

Here's a thread on the committee and the process. http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?186980-Playoff-Selection-and-Hosting-Quidelines

Thank you.

My honest opinion has always been that the FCS seeding was really just a waste of time anyway.

Unlike FBS (which isn't much better), FCS has an intense regionality to it. Meaning...because teams are limited to conferences built around geography (much more so than FBS) due to limited travel budgets...there is often huge gaps between actual talented teams.

teams can't just travel all over every week and get stuck playing teams close by and you never really know how good teams are until the playoffs. So this year is no different. although people act like it is.

I've seen high seeded teams get crushed by lower teams for 20 years, because until you play other parts of the country you can't tell who is who.

All that to say, imho the seeding this year will have no bearing on the outcome. If we have to play JSU on the road again and get hammered again, seeding will not have made a difference.

just my .02