PDA

View Full Version : FCS Teams and Bowl Games

NE MT GRIZZ
January 9th, 2007, 04:20 PM
What do you think of rewarding the 4 Semi-Finalists from the Playoffs with a Bowl Game? (Once the playoffs are over)
I think they deserve it instead of a Team like New Mexico who finishes 6-6 in the Mountain West.

KAUMASS
January 9th, 2007, 04:56 PM
What do you think of rewarding the 4 Semi-Finalists from the Playoffs with a Bowl Game? (Once the playoffs are over)
I think they deserve it instead of a Team like New Mexico who finishes 6-6 in the Mountain West.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: I could not agree more..I'm all for something along those lines...I brought up a few points in a similar discussion in a thread a while back, but it didn't go anywhere..My question was what are the parameters for a FCS school if they were invited to a bowl and skipped the FCS playoffs for the money? Does anyone know the by-laws for FCS and could this happen? What if a perrenial power like Montana came out next year and said they were open for a bowl bid for any takers?(assuming they have a winning record, which is almost a sure thing and a safe bet!!)
If I am not mistaken, Portland State beat New Mexico this year and wasn't even in the FCS playoffs..hopefully Portland State made money with 3 BS opponents..could this hurt the FCS playoffs by having schools in CS scheduling 3 OOC games against BS opponents for the money instead of the playoffs? Does a school like a UMass who wants to go BS, but doesn't have any state funding to do so, upgrade and fund the move to BS by playing as many BS schools for the next few years? Montana made $600,000 to play Iowa this year!! Does anyone know what Portland State got this year from each of the BS games?
The next few years should be interesting to see what happens in BS and CS, especially with teams like Boise St who crash the BCS party and cause mayhem and pleading for a BS playoff system...which is another whole topic in itself.

Thanks for the thread NE MT Grizz

AppGuy04
January 9th, 2007, 05:08 PM
BCS teams do all they can to separate themselves from the FCS, therefore I don't believe it would ever happen. Not to mention, they have nothing to gain like an FCS team would

NE MT GRIZZ
January 9th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I know it probably will never happen, but if the NCAA is going to dilute the Bowl Season, why not let the smaller schools get some exposure. Let teams like Montana, UMASS, App State, etc. cash in on a Bowl Game in addition to the playoff revenue.

Does anyone know how much money a school makes on hosting a home playoff game and what the royalties to each school are from the NCAA?

BigApp
January 9th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I think the rule is you can only compete in one post-season event. The tournament is considered one event, as is a bowl.

Jerbearasu
January 9th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Does anyone know how much money a school makes on hosting a home playoff game and what the royalties to each school are from the NCAA?

Schools actually have to pay money to host games. I think it is 30k for first round and it goes up 10k every round after (I may be wrong on the amounts). The school recoups all money after that. The higher seeded team has the option to host and pay otherwise they can give it up to the team they are playing. If neither school is willing to pay it then they will lower the fee til a school agrees. I think this was an issue with Wofford a few years ago when they went to the semi's and were a pretty high ranked team. There was a debate that they would lose money by hosting the semi's because they don't get many people at their games so the gate wouldn't bring in much money. I think some boosters pitched in if I remember correctly but I could be mistaken on that.

MR. CHICKEN
January 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM
BCS SKOOLS WHO PLAY IN BOWL GAMES.....HAVE TA SPLIT DUH PAY-OUTS...WHIFF ALL DUH TEAMS IN DERE RESPECTIVE CONFERENCES............FCS TEAMS....KEEP ALL DUH RECEIPTS.......AFTERAH DEDUCTIN'....DUH BIDDIN' DUCATS...........:twocents:....AWK!

henfan
January 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM
The problem is that, except for the elite BCS games, schools tend to lose money playing in smaller bowls. I can't see a problem with letting FCS teams who aren't selected for the playoffs have the option of participating in bowl games for added exposure, but it's wrong-minded to think there's going to be some financial boone there.

The team who travels across the country to play the 3rd place team from CUSA in a virtually meaningless game is very likely to lose ducats, lots of them. Unlike with the FCS playoffs, the NCAA won't be reimbursing schools for bowl expenses. While the bowls offer guarantees to the participants (or their conferences, depending on the conference agreement), the individual schools are typically on the hook to purchase so many thousand tickets in advance and pay for nearly all travel, food and lodging costs. Consider those costs for coaching & support staff, players, cheerleaders, band, administrators, etc.: smh :

BTW, there's absolutely no way on God's green earth that the NCAA or FCS administration would ever support teams participating in both the playoffs and bowls. The possibility of 15 or 16 games is already way too many without adding an additional bowl game.

I do like the idea of allowing schools the option of participating in either bowls or the FCS post-season... and that offer should extend across all of D-I. You might have a Big Sky team participating in a bowl and a Mountain West team in the playoffs, for example. With that, the NCAA would remove the scholarship ceiling that exists in the FCS to allow schools and conferences to decide their committments.

Ronbo
January 10th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Correct this if it is wrong. I read the NCAA gets 75% of the gate receipts or the host school's bid whichever is higher. Thus the controversy about reported attendance at playoff games.

henfan
January 10th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Correct this if it is wrong. I read the NCAA gets 75% of the gate receipts or the host school's bid whichever is higher. Thus the controversy about reported attendance at playoff games.

That's correct, except it's net receipts, not gate receipts, that are counted.

Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First round—$30,000
Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000
http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2006/2006_d1_football_handbook.pdf

Schools whose gate receipts exceed the guarantees offered have no incentive to accurately report revenue totals to the NCAA, as those figures are self-audited. I'm not suggesting that any schools do that, of course.;)

89Hen
January 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM
The problem is that, except for the elite BCS games, schools tend to lose money playing in smaller bowls. I can't see a problem with letting FCS teams who aren't selected for the playoffs have the option of participating in bowl games for added exposure, but it's wrong-minded to think there's going to be some financial boone there.

The team who travels across the country to play the 3rd place team from CUSA in a virtually meaningless game is very likely to lose ducats, lots of them.
Careful there henfan, you'll awaken JDC again.

JALMOND
January 10th, 2007, 11:26 AM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: I could not agree more..I'm all for something along those lines...I brought up a few points in a similar discussion in a thread a while back, but it didn't go anywhere..My question was what are the parameters for a FCS school if they were invited to a bowl and skipped the FCS playoffs for the money? Does anyone know the by-laws for FCS and could this happen? What if a perrenial power like Montana came out next year and said they were open for a bowl bid for any takers?(assuming they have a winning record, which is almost a sure thing and a safe bet!!)
If I am not mistaken, Portland State beat New Mexico this year and wasn't even in the FCS playoffs..hopefully Portland State made money with 3 BS opponents..could this hurt the FCS playoffs by having schools in CS scheduling 3 OOC games against BS opponents for the money instead of the playoffs? Does a school like a UMass who wants to go BS, but doesn't have any state funding to do so, upgrade and fund the move to BS by playing as many BS schools for the next few years? Montana made $600,000 to play Iowa this year!! Does anyone know what Portland State got this year from each of the BS games?
The next few years should be interesting to see what happens in BS and CS, especially with teams like Boise St who crash the BCS party and cause mayhem and pleading for a BS playoff system...which is another whole topic in itself.

Thanks for the thread NE MT Grizz

Portland State netted, I believe, 1 million...

New Mexico---$100,000, no buyout.
Cal---$500,000 net after McNeese buyout.
Oregon---$400,000 net after Southern Oregon buyout.

After we promised the Cowboys we would go to Lake Charles this year, the buyout from them was not that steep. Southern Oregon is Southern Oregon, so that was quite cheap as well. The UNM game was our FBS game that was originally scheduled so no buyout there.

After trying to watch some of the bowl games out there, and due to the fact that the WAC went 3-1, I am quite sure Portland State would have done pretty well in a bowl game this year in a second tier bowl. However, I still would rather have taken our playoff spot that we justly earned and deserved.

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Portland State netted, I believe, 1 million...

New Mexico---$100,000, no buyout.
Cal---$500,000 net after McNeese buyout.
Oregon---$400,000 net after Southern Oregon buyout.

After we promised the Cowboys we would go to Lake Charles this year, the buyout from them was not that steep. Southern Oregon is Southern Oregon, so that was quite cheap as well. The UNM game was our FBS game that was originally scheduled so no buyout there.

After trying to watch some of the bowl games out there, and due to the fact that the WAC went 3-1, I am quite sure Portland State would have done pretty well in a bowl game this year in a second tier bowl. However, I still would rather have taken our playoff spot that we justly earned and deserved.

Dude, you need closure. Go see a therapist. :twocents: :twocents: ;) :p

Husky Alum
January 11th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I was talking to a member of an athletic department at a BCS school located near to my Alma Mater.

This individual told me that on an individual bowl basis, a school likely loses money on a bowl if their payout is $750K or less. Between the number of guaranteed tickets you have to buy to the game, the costs to get the team, support staff, etc., to the city, the costs to house and feed your team after your school closes for break and before the bowl game, the flights, hotels, bonuses written into coaches contracts, etc., a school likely needs $1.0 million to make money on the game.

However, if you're a BCS school, you get a cut of your BCS revenue as well, so you do make some money on bowls in general.