PDA

View Full Version : Southern Pigskin's SOCON Mid-Season Team and Awards

Southern Pigskin
October 21st, 2016, 01:54 PM
Southern Pigskin Staff picks the Mid-Season SOCON Team and Awards.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/socon-midseason-team-awards/

kdinva
October 21st, 2016, 01:59 PM
I agree that Hodges has had a better start to the season than Al Cobb......

Hey, CitDog: how do you like Mr. Adams (WCU) hairstyle?

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2016, 02:29 PM
The Mid-Season Defensive Freshman of the Year, Ahmad Gooden, is in his 3rd Year on the Samford Bulldogs roster. xsmhx

...and there are 3 'real' Freshmen averaging more tackles/game than he is - Eric Jackson & Will Coneway from Mercer and Datavious Wilson from Wofford. Coneway also has 2 Sacks (to Gooden's 3) and a Forced Fumble.

Jason Maduafokwa from ETSU also has some good Sack/TFL stats

I think the guys at SP may need to re-evaluate this one.

catamount man
October 21st, 2016, 02:31 PM
Team that sucks again - WCU.
Team that will always suck until their chancellor, BOT and AD realize you have to spend money on a friggin coach with an exceptional staff - WCU.
Team that I formally disown and will never give 1 damn penny to again as long as I lve - friggin WCU.

Hope Samford beats their ass by 70!!!

SU DOG
October 21st, 2016, 02:38 PM
Gooden IS a RS-Soph. Delighted, however, to see that many defensive players selected. I have said before that the Samford defense is often overlooked because of the offensive production. This unit, however, is a pretty salty bunch, that has gotten better and better. Samford currently leads the FCS in defensive TDs through 6 games. The depth is remarkable except for the secondary.

Hate to see a WCU fan that upset. I am honestly worried that THIS is the game where the Catamounts show what they can do when they don't self-destruct.

OL FU
October 21st, 2016, 02:52 PM
Team that will always suck until their chancellor, BOT and AD realize you have to spend money on a friggin coach with an exceptional staff - WCU.
Team that I formally disown and will never give 1 damn penny to again as long as I lve - friggin WCU.

Does this mean your a Furman Fan again. Oh Wait, we suck tooxlolx

catamount man
October 21st, 2016, 03:28 PM
Gooden IS a RS-Soph. Delighted, however, to see that many defensive players selected. I have said before that the Samford defense is often overlooked because of the offensive production. This unit, however, is a pretty salty bunch, that has gotten better and better. Samford currently leads the FCS in defensive TDs through 6 games. The depth is remarkable except for the secondary.

Hate to see a WCU fan that upset. I am honestly worried that THIS is the game where the Catamounts show what they can do when they don't self-destruct.

WCU's administration, coaches, team, etc doesn't have the forethought or will to beat Samford or ever be a SoCon power. THEY SUCK ASS!

citdog
October 21st, 2016, 04:02 PM
Hey, CitDog: how do you like Mr. Adams (WCU) hairstyle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-7tGENQU20

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2016, 08:51 AM
The Mid-Season Defensive Freshman of the Year, Ahmad Gooden, is in his 3rd Year on the Samford Bulldogs roster. xsmhx

...and there are 3 'real' Freshmen averaging more tackles/game than he is - Eric Jackson & Will Coneway from Mercer and Datavious Wilson from Wofford. Coneway also has 2 Sacks (to Gooden's 3) and a Forced Fumble.

Jason Maduafokwa from ETSU also has some good Sack/TFL stats

I think the guys at SP may need to re-evaluate this one.

I did not even look at the team because I saw your replies and I see they are doing the same thing they always have done. They pulled up the SoCon Sports website and just pulled players from the stats. Gooden is incorrect on their website so SP got it wrong as well. They don't watch games or even know how to break down film. They are just picking the stat leaders. Can't always go solely by who has the most stats. Have to look at who they play and know what makes a good player without stats. They mainly put OL who have a name from the preseason teams. There is an OL who will make 1st team this postseason and be an All-American who they completely left off. I don't mean this personally but these guys just pulled the stats from the website and I don't see how they did something that everyone on this board could not do without having seen games? The fact they listed Gooden as a freshman shows me they just copied from the SoCon Sports website.

Milktruck74
October 23rd, 2016, 09:20 AM
The difference is most people on this board watch games. I know I saw parts (generally 4 or 5 series, unless it was Cit v Woff, b/c 4 or 5 series was the entire game) of 7 different FCS games yesterday. That is pretty well the norm for me. Many on this board watch more than I do...I generally do not go back a watch re-airs unless I have some question. It is much like doing a poll based solely on the scores... I'll use my Mocs as an example, 30-13, looks like a solid win but not a blow out...that doesn't take into account that the halftime score was 17-0 and VMI had 38 yard total offense and one first down or the fact that the mocs had the ball 1st and 10 at the VMI 13 with 2 minutes to go in the game and did not elect to score....I think the posters on this board would do a much better job with all conference and AA teams than SP and many other publications!!!!!

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2016, 09:33 AM
The difference is most people on this board watch games. I know I saw parts (generally 4 or 5 series, unless it was Cit v Woff, b/c 4 or 5 series was the entire game) of 7 different FCS games yesterday. That is pretty well the norm for me. Many on this board watch more than I do...I generally do not go back a watch re-airs unless I have some question. It is much like doing a poll based solely on the scores... I'll use my Mocs as an example, 30-13, looks like a solid win but not a blow out...that doesn't take into account that the halftime score was 17-0 and VMI had 38 yard total offense and one first down or the fact that the mocs had the ball 1st and 10 at the VMI 13 with 2 minutes to go in the game and did not elect to score....I think the posters on this board would do a much better job with all conference and AA teams than SP and many other publications!!!!!

Another to take into account is how good the league is. MVFC is the best in FCS right now and thus does anyone really believe a 9-1 Pioneer League, Patriot League, or even NEC and MEC team is better than a 5-3 MVFC team when their losses are to a FBS and 2 top 15 FCS teams? Some think record means you are better. I have been voting South Dakota and some other MVFC teams much higher than anyone else in the polls because I know that those teams would kill the Ivy, MEAC, NEC, SWAC, Pioneer League, etc leaders.

Look at Lehigh. Some think they should be ranked and they lost to Monmouth who just got beat by Liberty. Neither of those teams are better than what... 4-3? Lehigh is not close to top 25 worthy right now.

If you look at polls I believe there are only about 30-32 teams who even deserve poll consideration right now. Some of the teams receiving votes do not deserve it at all right now. I have both South Dakota and UNI ranked and I don't have Grambling State, Tennessee State, Sacred Heart, San Diego, Lehigh, NCCU, etc ranked because I, and anyone who truly knows football, knows that those 2 MVFC teams would beat all of those mentioned. Grambling and TSU would probably be within 10 points but the rest would get beat by 20 or more.

Milktruck74
October 23rd, 2016, 09:37 AM
Yeah, try to convince the SWAC fans of that....Good Luck!!!

SU DOG
October 23rd, 2016, 09:42 AM

Great points. I'm also one of those who watches many reruns of streaming games from ALL different conferences. I enjoy doing so, and you can gain some perspective of the talent of teams in other areas. I'm not saying you can get definitive analysis of those teams, but I believe you can get some idea of their talent level. This is a big reason that I think the upper tier SoCon teams could match up and be competitive with the best from all other conferences this year. We should not be held to the historical norm of only 2 teams from the SoCon this season.

The Cats
October 23rd, 2016, 10:18 AM

Damn Richard, get a grip.

smallcollegefbfan
October 23rd, 2016, 10:48 AM
Yeah, try to convince the SWAC fans of that....Good Luck!!!

The SWAC is just not as talented as it us to be. Times have changed. Grambling is a good team and I have them 26th in my poll so if they don't lose anymore I'll rank them for sure. However, they won't go to the playoffs anymore and we all know the MEAC and SWAC stopped sending their champs for the money and to prevent from losing in the first round every year. Why go and lose in the playoffs when you can beat a conference champ and beat your chest while yelling we won our league and beat another champ so we should be ranked in the top 10 or what not? Ideally I would like to see GSU play NCAT and then the winner go to the playoffs because I do think the winner of that game deserves to be top 15-20 but not sure they have an argument for top 10 until they play a SDSU, NDSU, JSU, Citadel, Chatty, JMU, UNI or something like them and beats them or at least plays within 10 points.