PDA

View Full Version : OSU RB transfering to GSU

AppGuy04
January 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Didn't see this posted. Interestingly enough, they still refer to us as I-AA

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2725402

STILLWATER, Okla. -- Oklahoma State sophomore running back Mike Hamilton is transferring to Division I-AA Georgia Southern after losing his starting job during the season.

Hamilton was the Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year as a freshman last year and was named second-team All-Big 12 after rushing more than 900 yards.

He started seven games this season and gained 546 yards before a knee injury sidelined him and Dantrell Savage won the starting job.

Hamilton fell to third string behind Savage and freshman Keith Toston and had no carries in four of OSU's last six games and gained only 57 more yards.

bobbythekidd
January 9th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Why get another back? BVG stated before and the AD said it just the other day. What we need is more big lineman. When are we getting these guys?

Baldy
January 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Why get another back? BVG stated before and the AD said it just the other day. What we need is more big lineman. When are we getting these guys?
Why get another back? Because Hamilton isn't the kinda player you turn away. He's just too damn good.

bobbythekidd
January 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM
With noone to open holes for him he won't be as effective. I am not against having him. I was just thinking of scholorships. We need these lineman.

GRZZ
January 9th, 2007, 01:53 PM
If you happen to find that hidden large d-lineman tree, send some our way maybe?

catbob
January 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
2005 - Mike Hamilton - 13 carries 54 yards against the Bobcats. He was an okay back.

Mr. C
January 9th, 2007, 02:01 PM
From what I saw of Georgia Southern, a quarterback who can actually throw was the biggest need. Then again, I would have had Foster back there and then, who needs to throw. The Eagle line, while small, actually did better than I expected them to do in their first year learning to pass block.

Baldy
January 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM
2005 - Mike Hamilton - 13 carries 54 yards against the Bobcats. He was an okay back.
290 carries 1507 yards 5.2 avg. and broke Thurman Thomas' freshman rushing record. He's a little better than OK. :thumbsup:

blueballs
January 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
From what I saw of Georgia Southern, a quarterback who can actually throw was the biggest need. Then again, I would have had Foster back there and then, who needs to throw. The Eagle line, while small, actually did better than I expected them to do in their first year learning to pass block.

That and a reliable kicker and GSU is a 8 or 9 win team in 2006, even with all the changes.

AppGuy04
January 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Lets just hope he fairs better than Bobby Washington at EKU. Parade All American, transfered from NC State, hasn't done much at EKU

Baldy
January 9th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Lets just hope he fairs better than Bobby Washington at EKU. Parade All American, transfered from NC State, hasn't done much at EKU
If I remember correctly, Bobby Washington didn't do anything at NC State either. On the other hand, Hamilton has already proven he can perform.

AppGuy04
January 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM
If I remember correctly, Bobby Washington didn't do anything at NC State either. On the other hand, Hamilton has already proven he can perform.

Considering who Washington had to compete with, he never really got the chance if you ask me.

NE MT GRIZZ
January 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Don't get your hopes up. Montana had 2 1-a transfers this year and neither one ended up being the starter at the end of the year.

Our hometown boy Lex Hilliard was way better in 05 and hopefully will be back in form for 07!

Baldy
January 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Don't get your hopes up. Montana had 2 1-a transfers this year and neither one ended up being the starter at the end of the year.

Our hometown boy Lex Hilliard was way better in 05 and hopefully will be back in form for 07!
Our two headed monster gained 1600 yards last season. It's not like we really need a RB, but when one this good wants to come play, you just can't say no.

Kill'em
January 9th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I think we have more pressing needs line the offensive line, linebackers, and, dare I say it, a tight end. Also, more depth on the defensive line wouldn't hurt. We have plenty of RB's on the roster. Who knows, maybe this guy is the real deal, if his knee injury is healed.

youwouldno
January 9th, 2007, 09:44 PM
GSU already has Covington and Lewis, among others. Another RB isn't going to make any difference, the Eagles have major needs elsewhere.

Baldy
January 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I think we have more pressing needs line the offensive line, linebackers, and, dare I say it, a tight end. Also, more depth on the defensive line wouldn't hurt. We have plenty of RB's on the roster. Who knows, maybe this guy is the real deal, if his knee injury is healed.
All but 1 of the O-Line returns, so it will be basically the same line that paved the way for Covington and Lewis to gain 1600 yards, we'll be just fine.

Hamilton didn't blow his ACL out. His injury was just a knee sprain. He will be fine.

As far as the TE, DL and LB positions are concerned, don't worry, I'm sure those needs will be addressed. :)

bobbythekidd
January 9th, 2007, 10:38 PM
All but 1 of the O-Line returns, so it will be basically the same line that paved the way for Covington and Lewis to gain 1600 yards, we'll be just fine.

Hamilton didn't blow his ACL out. His injury was just a knee sprain. He will be fine.

As far as the TE, DL and LB positions are concerned, don't worry, I'm sure those needs will be addressed. :)
That true baldy, the problem is we are a passing team now.:rolleyes:

appfan2008
January 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I dont think this is the direction GSU needed to go in

Seven Would Be Nice
January 9th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I dont think this is the direction GSU needed to go in

Only time will tell.
I'm pretty sure we are getting our ducks in a row to make the 1-A jump.

But this is a topic for another thread. :smiley_wi

youwouldno
January 9th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Only time will tell.

If GSU does go BS, this transfer and all current GSU players will have moved on by then. GSU fans do seem to think losing at the BS level will be better than losing in the CS, that would be an interesting experiment though.

Maroons
January 10th, 2007, 01:02 AM
The book on Bobby Washington is that he was never asked to do anything except run the ball all through high school and so he never learned how to block, etc. It's not his fault that he was always given the rock and told to run with it, it's just the way it was.

When he came to EKU, we already had a running back who did many things well in Mark Dunn. Dunn fit in well with the spread offense, protecting the QB and the ball, running routes, and playing diverse roles. Washington spent the whole season splitting time with Dunn. Between the two of them, they accumulated almost 1400 yards. If Washington had been the only back and had accumulated 1400 yards, would he still be a disappointment?

But in one season, Washington improved dramatically at picking up blocking assignments, running north and south, sharpening his skills, etc. However, he wasn't the dominating force he was expected to be as a I-A transfer. Why? Probably because the talent level isn't so terribly different between the two D-I levels for one player to steam roll everyone.

Anyway, thats my take after watching Washington develop as this season went on. He was a much better player after one season of I-AA than he was after first coming in from NC State.

bobbythekidd
January 10th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Only time will tell.

We are NOT going BCS anytime soon. Sorry to bust your theory.

Kill'em
January 10th, 2007, 09:22 PM

It's the depth that concerns me plus the loss of a great center.