PDA

View Full Version : Bo Pelini to Purdue?

centennial
October 18th, 2016, 08:22 PM
This isn't completely FCS related. Please feel free to move this. Long term stability will be an issue with YSU with Bo wanting to move on.

http://www.hammerandrails.com/football/2016/10/18/13317938/bo-pelini-interested-in-purdue?utm_campaign=hammerandrails&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

According to 247Sports (http://247sports.com/Article/The-Purdue-Boilermakers-should-do-their-diligence-on-Bo-Pelini-48338197), one of their sources informed them that former Nebraska head coach, Bo Pelini, would be interested in taking the Purdue job if offered:
“He would definitely be interested in this job,” a source who coached under Pelini told 247Sports this week. “I think he would make a more immediate impact more than any other guy I believe. He would change that culture real quick.”

Pelini is currently the head coach at Youngstown State after being fired by Nebraska in 2014 with a 67–27 record, winning at least 9 games in every season. Pelini currently has a 10-7 record as Youngstown State's head coach.
Pelini would be an interesting choice for Purdue, and one we may not consider when looking at other coaching candidates (http://www.hammerandrails.com/2016/10/16/13301442/hazell-fired-what-s-next). However, he may not be a popular choice among everyone.

frozennorth
October 18th, 2016, 08:33 PM
I think Bo will have to do a little more to get Purdue

Professor Chaos
October 18th, 2016, 08:41 PM
I think another MVFC head coach would have a better shot at it given his history (and tremendous mustache).

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pantagraph.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/87/487fafa8-967e-11e2-a9fb-0019bb2963f4/51524cb08f36a.preview-620.jpg

http://www.bluegraysky.com/images/spack/tn1_spack10.jpg

Problem is you're not going to thrill the fans/boosters with that hire either.

ValleyTalk
October 18th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Similar rumor on 247 swirled around in off-season in regards to Kentucky DC opening and Pelini came out and publicly stated there was no validity to it. Not saying there isn't some truth here, but not sure the timing and this destination are the right fit for Bo. If Spack had another big year this year, he would have been a solid contender, but perhaps with their early season struggles his name won't make such a list.

I'll post what I hear on this, but rumors midseason like this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2016, 10:02 PM
If I were him I'd stay at least one more year. If he proves to be highly successful at YSU he'll get a big time offer. I could easily see him landing a legit Top 25 gig....

His personality hurts him more than his coaching imo. He's only 48 so he still has time to prove he can tone down his act at least a little (he seems to be doing fine this year).

centennial
October 18th, 2016, 10:18 PM
If I were him I'd stay at least one more year. If he proves to be highly successful at YSU he'll get a big time offer. I could easily see him landing a legit Top 25 gig....

His personality hurts him more than his coaching imo. He's only 48 so he still has time to prove he can tone down his act at least a little (he seems to be doing fine this year).

As long as he is keeping his anger in check. YSU is inconsequential for now, people are judging him for Nebraska. 1-2 more years and he will need a deep playoff run or better.

BisonTru
October 18th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Another interesting note on Pelini with his Nebraska buyout is, he receives 1.8 mil a year minus whatever his current institution is paying him from Nebraska. So unless someone offers him more than that, he's making just as much staying at Youngstown. Purdue's last coach made a little under 2 mil. Definitely not a slam dunk to leave. Especially considering the Nebraska money keeps coming in through the '17 and '18 seasons as well.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 18th, 2016, 11:55 PM
I like his personality, hes a man

penguinpower
October 19th, 2016, 06:09 AM
I'm not saying he would go either way, but have you seen the facilities? MVFC schools have better facilities. How do you recruit millennial's to Purdue? It is a dump and so is Illinois.

MSUDuo
October 19th, 2016, 07:29 AM
I'm not saying he would go either way, but have you seen the facilities? MVFC schools have better facilities. How do you recruit millennial's to Purdue? It is a dump and so is Illinois.

Purdue is in Indiana. Not much better but it is better.

clenz
October 19th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Another interesting note on Pelini with his Nebraska buyout is, he receives 1.8 mil a year minus whatever his current institution is paying him from Nebraska. So unless someone offers him more than that, he's making just as much staying at Youngstown. Purdue's last coach made a little under 2 mil. Definitely not a slam dunk to leave. Especially considering the Nebraska money keeps coming in through the '17 and '18 seasons as well.
Perfect reason for Purdue to take a flyer.

They don't have to pay him too much, and he can fire up a fan base. For him if he can get Purdue to a bowl he gets a bigger job from there much quicker than YSU.

Sycamore62
October 19th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Illinois just gave a 6 yr $21M contract with $8M in bonus potential to Lovie Smith. I dont think $1.8M from Nebraska would be a big deal from here out.

Where would he get a better deal than something like that?

mango433
October 19th, 2016, 09:06 AM

Well, they are addressing their facilities. http://www.hammerandrails.com/2015/10/21/9583240/purdue-announces-60-million-upgrade-to-football-facilities

Here's a more recent page http://www.purduefootballmasterplan.com/

CappinHard
October 19th, 2016, 09:17 AM
I like his personality, hes a man

He is over 40, so you're probably right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjF93E4LjlA

More seriously, how long until this negatively effects YSU? Or is it just something they accepted when they hired him, knowing that he would probably only be around for 3-4 years tops? Seems like it would be a tough sell for recruits, knowing that Pelini is probably going to be gone either by the time they show up or shortly after.

ytownchief22
October 19th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Purdue ????? Really ????? What a stinker job that is.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2016, 09:43 AM
What are the odds that Sweater Vest lets his surrogate son apply to Purdue? Let's get serious here. This has no basis in reality.

Daytripper
October 19th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Purdue ????? Really ????? What a stinker job that is.

True. BUT, if he turns it around and makes them respectable or good, his stock is through the roof. Most coaches like Pelini are confident bordering on arrogant. He will believe he can make Purdue a winner.

ytownchief22
October 19th, 2016, 10:15 AM
I don't think he leaves until his youngest kids graduate from his alma mater Cardinal Mooney HS. He is a big time family man and i can't see him uprooting them so soon. I also believe he wants to get back into the SEC.

wow
October 19th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Perfect reason for Purdue to take a flyer.

They don't have to pay him too much, and he can insult a fan base, athletic director, and university leadership. For him if he can get Purdue to a bowl he gets a bigger job from there much quicker than YSU.

Fixed your post. Why any FBS athletic director would consider Pelini is beyond me. Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

Laker
October 19th, 2016, 10:20 AM
He will have to change his Christmas cards if he goes to Purdue.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4_gpdNIcAAhMYh.png:large

Sycamore62
October 19th, 2016, 10:41 AM
If this is his best option this year he should take it. Never chance your career on crazy stuff that can make you look not qualified for the good job next year.

centennial
October 19th, 2016, 10:44 AM
He will have to change his Christmas cards if he goes to Purdue.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4_gpdNIcAAhMYh.png:large
I'll do some photo shopping after work.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2016, 10:45 AM
You know who I could see at Purdue? Moglia.

Paladin1aa
October 19th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I suspect he may be interested in leaving YSU, soon. Despite the locals favorable outlook for him, the cupboard looks bare next season and he has recruited a stinker class his first class at YSU and one than is barely average his second season. The bottom is about to fall out. If he fails at YSU next year ( and thats looking probable), where does he go for an FBS job then ? Maybe as a DC ,but head job ? Career wise , he has to be looking ahead. Purdue is a crap job but has few wins recently. ANY improvement keeps his coaching resume in play. And, I suspect the money to be better. As a multi-millionaire he isn't going to starve. This is about a career move if he wants to work , while he really doesn't have to.

CappinHard
October 19th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Despite the locals favorable outlook for him, the cupboard looks bare next season and he has recruited a stinker class his first class at YSU and one than is barely average his second season. The bottom is about to fall out.

Like I said before, this is inevitable as long as he's there, because recruits aren't stupid. They know he'll be gone, and who knows will end up there after that. They don't want to risk their precious college years on something uncertain and I don't blame them.

BisonTru
October 19th, 2016, 12:53 PM
https://twitter.com/FauxPelini/status/787778922758963200

clenz
October 19th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Like I said before, this is inevitable as long as he's there, because recruits aren't stupid. They know he'll be gone, and who knows will end up there after that. They don't want to risk their precious college years on something uncertain and I don't blame them.
That's been my contention as well.

I don't know about being bare at YSU next year, but if he gets YSU to the post season this year his stock as an FCS coach won't get higher to any FBS team willing to hire him.

He's going to have to go to a place like Purdue, Minnesota, Boston College, Fresno State, etc... before he gets a true big coaching gig.

Looking at the list of coaches who are likely hot seat right now I doubt he gets any of the big jobs that may open

Big jobs that may* open:
Notre Dame - not likely.
Texas - won't go for Bo
South Carolina - Doubt Bo gets a call there
Auburn - Doubt it
USC - Doubt it
Oregon - Chip Kelly gets it back if he wants it

Other jobs that he would have a shot at that may* open up
Boston College - likely won't pay enough to offset Nebraska money
Fresno State - don't see Bo interested in this one
SMU - don't see Bo interested in this one
Kentucky - SEC job, relatively low pressure, willing to pay good money...Stoops buy out may keep him there another year
Texas Tech - doesn't seem likely
Kansas - can't see him wanting that dumpster fire but he knows the area for recruiting
Arizona - could be interesting

There could be some jobs he would want. Purude and potentially Minnesota would be interesting to watch.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Texas Tech - doesn't seem likely
Arizona - could be interesting

There could be some jobs he would want. Purude and potentially Minnesota would be interesting to watch.

Texas Tech is exactly the sort of school that would overpay for Bo.

And any head coach in America would probably drool at the prospect of coaching Arizona. Lots of resources.

Sycamore62
October 19th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Purdue is a crap job but has few wins recently.

Compared to topping out in the FCS around $300k? most P5 jobs will pay you more by April than your whole year in FCS

uni88
October 19th, 2016, 06:46 PM

Someone could offer him 300K in '17 and '18 and up it to 3M+ in '19 and beyond. Stick Nebraska with continuing to pay him short-term.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Pelini had solid success at Nebraska but was highly unlikeable. Working for Tressel (who despite being legitimately skeezy at times has a weird respected image imo) at a school like YSU (who has big time tradition at the D1 level) will get him legitimate looks.

If he wanted to jump ship I think these are possible options
Arizona - RichRod is about cooked. It's been a mess since 2014. Meh job
Arizona State - Graham is a clown, his teams play dumb. His leash is getting short. Solid job
Boston College - Addazio is clueless when it comes to offense. He has to go. Good job with right coach (before the recent fall, BC was Top 25'ish for 25 years).
Tennessee - If they tank Jones might get the boot. Very good job but a you need the right personality...

Franklin at Penn State might get one more year. If you can recruit Ohio, PA and NJ you can win there. PSU would be intriguing imo. How long does D'Antonio stay at MSU with Harbaugh and Meyer in his backyard? I feel like Sparty's run is about over.

Franks Tanks
October 19th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Pelini had solid success at Nebraska but was highly unlikeable. Working for Tressel (who despite being legitimately skeezy at times has a weird respected image imo) at a school like YSU (who has big time tradition at the D1 level) will get him legitimate looks.

If he wanted to jump ship I think these are possible options
Arizona - RichRod is about cooked. It's been a mess since 2014. Meh job
Arizona State - Graham is a clown, his teams play dumb. His leash is getting short. Solid job
Boston College - Addazio is clueless when it comes to offense. He has to go. Good job with right coach (before the recent fall, BC was Top 25'ish for 25 years).
Tennessee - If they tank Jones might get the boot. Very good job but a you need the right personality...

Franklin at Penn State might get one more year. If you can recruit Ohio, PA and NJ you can win there. PSU would be intriguing imo. How long does D'Antonio stay at MSU with Harbaugh and Meyer in his backyard? I feel like Sparty's run is about over.
No way Pelini goes to PSU. I think Franklin gets at least 2 more years by the way. The upper class talent at PSU is not good, as they were recruited under the worst of the sanctions. He has some nice players in the younger classes that will get PSU back soon.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2016, 07:46 PM
No way Pelini goes to PSU. I think Franklin gets at least 2 more years by the way. The upper class talent at PSU is not good, as they were recruited under the worst of the sanctions. He has some nice players in the younger classes that will get PSU back soon.

I don't see how PSU competes with Michigan and OSU with Franklin as their coach. If the weather isn't truly horrific on Saturday night they're going to get crushed. I might go if it's not too bad. They have some talent but it's a far cry from the heyday of Lion football. They're honestly not much better talent wise than Pitt and Temple right now. The sanctions now are in the rearview mirror. The NCAA cut them slack.

Franklin has to produce. I sat in the heart of high roller season ticket holders for the Temple game. Those folks seemed rather indifferent towards Franklin following the Pitt loss. They knew they were doomed against Michigan the following week.

Franks Tanks
October 19th, 2016, 09:14 PM
I don't see how PSU competes with Michigan and OSU with Franklin as their coach. If the weather isn't truly horrific on Saturday night they're going to get crushed. I might go if it's not too bad. They have some talent but it's a far cry from the heyday of Lion football. They're honestly not much better talent wise than Pitt and Temple right now. The sanctions now are in the rearview mirror. The NCAA cut them slack.

Franklin has to produce. I sat in the heart of high roller season ticket holders for the Temple game. Those folks seemed rather indifferent towards Franklin following the Pitt loss. They knew they were doomed against Michigan the following week.

OSU and Michigan are 2 &3 in the country right now, so very few teams can compete with them. Also both have benefitted from the fact that PSU had some very poor recruiting years in the recent past. The upperclass kids at PSU are nowhere near the usual talent level. Those kids are O'brien recruits and some are MAC level. Many younger guys have already beaten those kids out.

PSU will be back, but a few more years are needed. It does no good to fire Franklin now as he is making progress and doing well in recruiting.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2016, 10:43 PM
Thinking of Pelini coaching PSU made me laugh and laugh... The very last thing PSU needs to do is to hire a guy who has questions about his character. The only thing that makes this a remote possibility is the fact that PSU is so tone-deaf about everything these days surrounding JoePa, perhaps they'd be tone-deaf about this too.

penguinpower
October 19th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Perini is normal until he is on the sideline. Then he turns into a mad man

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2016, 11:30 PM
Thinking of Pelini coaching PSU made me laugh and laugh... The very last thing PSU needs to do is to hire a guy who has questions about his character. The only thing that makes this a remote possibility is the fact that PSU is so tone-deaf about everything these days surrounding JoePa, perhaps they'd be tone-deaf about this too.

PSU ran a media montage tribute to JoePA after every quarter during the Temple game. They still live in a bubble out there. It's very much a cult like atmosphere like it's been for the last 30-40 years.

Pelini will get a good gig. Brian Kelly suffers from a slightly less severe case of "lunatic coach antics" and he'll either remain with ND or end up with another very good coaching job.

The PSU job will not attract an A list candidate. I'm not suggesting Pelini would get hired the but someone of his ilk will. A good coach with a chink or two in the armour that can recruit in PA, OH and NJ. If Dino Babers can turn around Syracuse I could see him as an interesting candidate should Franklin falter..

Daytripper
October 20th, 2016, 05:24 AM
PSU ran a media montage tribute to JoePA after every quarter during the Temple game. They still live in a bubble out there. It's very much a cult like atmosphere like it's been for the last 30-40 years.

Pelini will get a good gig. Brian Kelly suffers from a slightly less severe case of "lunatic coach antics" and he'll either remain with ND or end up with another very good coaching job.

The PSU job will not attract an A list candidate. I'm not suggesting Pelini would get hired the but someone of his ilk will. A good coach with a chink or two in the armour that can recruit in PA, OH and NJ. If Dino Babers can turn around Syracuse I could see him as an interesting candidate should Franklin falter..

Brian Kelly could very possibly end up at LSU.

ValleyTalk
October 20th, 2016, 06:52 AM
2396123 (tel:2396123)[/URL]]I suspect he may be interested in leaving YSU, soon. Despite the locals favorable outlook for him, the cupboard looks bare next season and he has recruited a stinker class his first class at YSU and one than is barely average his second season. The bottom is about to fall out. If he fails at YSU next year ( and thats looking probable), where does he go for an FBS job then ? Maybe as a DC ,but head job ? Career wise , he has to be looking ahead. Purdue is a crap job but has few wins recently. ANY improvement keeps his coaching resume in play. And, I suspect the money to be better. As a multi-millionaire he isn't going to starve. This is about a career move if he wants to work , while he really doesn't have to.

I'll put this tweet here from this morning (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/x-apple-data-detectors://2):
"@DanaBalash21: .@21WFMJSports I've been told by a source close to Bo Pelini that he has no interest in the Purdue coaching job..."

wow
October 20th, 2016, 07:47 AM

I had the same thought.

wow
October 20th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Perini is normal until he is on the sideline. Then he turns into a mad man

For anyone who followed the end of his career at Nebraska, his off-field actions/commentary is what ultimately led to his firing. Nebraska would have lived with him awhile longer (IIRC they just gave him an extension), but when you throw fans and administration under the bus on hot mics the clock starts ticking.

ysubigred
October 20th, 2016, 08:07 AM
For anyone who followed the end of his career at Nebraska, his off-field actions/commentary is what ultimately led to his firing. Nebraska would have lived with him awhile longer (IIRC they just gave him an extension), but when you throw fans and administration under the bus on hot mics the clock starts ticking.

I don't think either side played well with each other the year that led up to his dismissal from NE. Bo is a tell it like it is guy and these days of political correctness that will get you in trouble even "IF" you are right. xtwocentsx

I believe Bo will be at YSU for two more years. A playoff appearance this year could shorten it to one more but I doubt it.

Also I'd like to mention the cupboard is not bare at YSU xcrazyx

ytownchief22
October 20th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Bo is not going to Purdue. Plain and simple.

Daytripper
October 20th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Bo is not going to Purdue. Plain and simple.

Could he end up back at LSU??

Franks Tanks
October 20th, 2016, 11:17 AM

PSU wouldn't hire Pelini because they could do better. Penn State will be renovating the Beave, and can and will pay a top 10 salary. They will get A list candidates if Franklin fails to improve on the next 2 years. You hate Prnn State and your opinions on this matter are horribly biased.

clenz
October 20th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Can they do better than no, really?

They've gone Bill O Brien and James Franklin.

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2016, 11:30 AM
nobody's interested in any job until the day they announce they take it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2016, 12:48 PM
PSU wouldn't hire Pelini because they could do better. Penn State will be renovating the Beave, and can and will pay a top 10 salary. They will get A list candidates if Franklin fails to improve on the next 2 years. You hate Prnn State and your opinions on this matter are horribly biased.

Time will tell. I don't think Franklin gets two more years.

I think your affinity towards PSU makes you biased. PSU is not well liked around the country. Like Notre Dame but in a different way. I don't hate PSU but rather don't respect them for obvious reasons.

Daved
October 20th, 2016, 12:50 PM
nobody's interested in any job until the day they announce they take it.You hit the nail on the head!

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2016, 01:19 PM
any chance Kleiman gets a look somewhere?

BisonTru
October 20th, 2016, 01:40 PM
any chance Kleiman gets a look somewhere?

I wouldn't think so since he's only got two seasons under his belt. If we win a third under his helm, he may get some more looks. He didn't really build the program just kept it going, so I don't know how an AD will view that. I think Klieman is a good fit here, but if he left to re-build a G5 or even a P5 program, I'm not sure he is successful.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Maybe Purdue hires KC Keeler??? Then the Delaware fans can invade the B1G message boards telling everyone about how great Purdue is...

thebootfitter
October 20th, 2016, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't think so since he's only got two seasons under his belt. If we win a third under his helm, he may get some more looks. He didn't really build the program just kept it going, so I don't know how an AD will view that. I think Klieman is a good fit here, but if he left to re-build a G5 or even a P5 program, I'm not sure he is successful.
I get why people say this sort of thing, but not really valid. He did help build the program. And arguably, keeping it going is more challenging than building.

I still don't think he'll get any serious looks, even from G5 teams, for at least another year or two.

thebootfitter
October 20th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Someone could offer him 300K in '17 and '18 and up it to 3M+ in '19 and beyond. Stick Nebraska with continuing to pay him short-term.
My recollection of his deal with Nebraska is that they wouldn't have to pay him anything if he accepted another FBS coaching job. I think that's a big part of the reason he ended up at YSU instead of some low-level MAC team. As long as he's out of the FBS coaching arena, he gets paid by Nebraska the difference in salary. Once he accepts another FBS job, that gravy train ends.

Can anyone confirm?

Edited to add: After poking around a bit online, I couldn't find anything to support this idea. Probably just figments of my imagination.

BisonTru
October 20th, 2016, 03:55 PM
My recollection of his deal with Nebraska is that they wouldn't have to pay him anything if he accepted another FBS coaching job. I think that's a big part of the reason he ended up at YSU instead of some low-level MAC team. As long as he's out of the FBS coaching arena, he gets paid by Nebraska the difference in salary. Once he accepts another FBS job, that gravy train ends.

Can anyone confirm?

He gets 1.8m a year from Nebraska till iirc Jan. '19 minus whatever school he is currently at is paying him. So I believe he gets roughly 250K from YSU and the balance from Nebraska. If say a G5 pays him 1 million, Nebraska would be on the hook for the other 800K.

clenz
October 20th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I don't think that's true.

I don't remember hearing that

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/nebraska-s-bo-pelini-buyout-reduced-to-monthly-payments-of/article_ca7c3c00-f848-11e4-89b7-7fe54c4e2925.html

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2016, 03:59 PM
If Pelini finds a new job, the decision to fire him gets cheaper.
Under the terms of his contract, if Pelini lands a job that pays him $1.8 million or more, the university may no longer need to pay him. If Pelini's new job pays him less than $1.8 million a year, the university will pay the difference between the new monthly salary and his $150,000 monthly severance provided by Nebraska.

http://www.ketv.com/blob/view/-/29990396/data/1/-/ohi9qwz/-/DEA--Pelini-Contract.pdf

Daytripper
October 20th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Maybe Purdue hires KC Keeler??? Then the Delaware fans can invade the B1G message boards telling everyone about how great Purdue is...

That is funny....BUT you should have seen katfans message board when it was announced that Keeler was a finalist for the job. They literally crashed the server. You would have thought half of the UD fan base came on to the site to pimp him.