BEAR
October 16th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Last weeks results:

ACU 21 SHSU 48
SLU 58 SFA 34
UCA 35 McNeese 0
Lamar 32 NWST 31
Nicholls 33 HBU 30

Condolences: SLC fans of every school send condolences to McNeese State head coach Lance Guidry for the loss of his brother Saturday morning.

Surprises: UCA just dominated a once top 15 McNeese team. SFA has just dissolved and lost two really good wide receivers also. Time to rebuild the lumberjacks.

Overall standings for teams with a chance to get 7 division I wins: ( Yes, thats not a set rule but probably a minimum for playoff consideration. UCA got 7 last year and still was left out for a team in a stronger conference with 6 wins. )

SHSU 6-0 Two more games and the Kats should be in. Should win out no problem.
UCA 5-1 Two more games and the Bears should be in. But likely will win more.
Lamar 3-3 Can't afford another loss. At UCA this week. This might be it for Lamar.
Nicholls 3-3 Can't afford another loss. The Bearkats visit this week. Likely loss.
SLU 3-3 . HBU comes to town. SLU just may hang on.

This week's games:

UIW at ACU
SHSU at Nicholls
HBU at SLU
McNeese at NWST
Lamar at UCA

My predictions:

UIW at ACU ACU by 3
SHSU at Nicholls: Sammy runs away by 35 or more
HBU at SLU: SLU rolls to a 14 point win.
McNeese at NWST: Cowboys rebound to a 14 point win
Lamar at UCA: Bears maul Birds on homecoming and on TV by 21.

Nickels
October 17th, 2016, 01:29 AM
After watching UIW and ACU the past 2 weeks I'm thinking birds over kitties. UIW is much better offensively.

Catatonic
October 17th, 2016, 05:39 AM
After watching UIW and ACU the past 2 weeks I'm thinking birds over kitties. UIW is much better offensively.

This is the point where I, loyal Wildcat fan that I am, would normally jump in to defend such a scurrilous accusation. The way things are though, as much as I would like to say you are dead wrong and challenge you to a dual or somethin', I just can't do it. We have the talent to have a pretty decent team, which makes our embarrassing performance on the field all the more difficult to take.

p.s. I remain ever hopeful that THIS will be the week the Cats put it all together and take out their frustrations on some poor hapless team. I'm not putting money on it, but I am still whishin and hopin, thinkin' and prayin', plannin' and dreamin'....

Daytripper
October 17th, 2016, 05:52 AM
UIW at ACU - UIW by 3 in a close one. UIW is on the rise
SHSU at Nicholls - SHSU by 13. Nicholls will make a run in the 4th.
HBU at SLU - SELA by 7. Home field means victory here.
McNeese at NWST. McNeese bounces back and wins by 10.
Lamar at UCA - SLC game of the week. Lamar is playing better, but UCA is peaking. Bears by 13.

BEAR
October 17th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Is it true Harrington broke his foot? If true, Lamar will have it tough this week. Hope not, I wanted to see him run the stripes...xthumbsupx

Confirmed by their local paper and head coach. Broken foot. :(His career at Lamar is over.

TheRevSFA
October 17th, 2016, 08:08 AM
sucks for Aaron Piper of SFA...he's been told that his playing career is over due to concussions.

BEAR
October 17th, 2016, 08:15 AM
sucks for Aaron Piper of SFA...he's been told that his playing career is over due to concussions.

Dang. Heard you lost another one also. Hope Piper gets well. I've seen the results of those and they are lasting in some cases. C'mon SLC stay healthy!

Daytripper
October 17th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Hate that about Harrington. He was a special running back and the only thing that Lamar had to make them respectable. As for Piper, you always hate to hear of a player's career ending because of injury. But he made the right decision. Long-term health is so much more important than the short-term fun of football.

TheRevSFA
October 17th, 2016, 09:08 AM
Hate that about Harrington. He was a special running back and the only thing that Lamar had to make them respectable. As for Piper, you always hate to hear of a player's career ending because of injury. But he made the right decision. Long-term health is so much more important than the short-term fun of football.

Definitely agree with you and it was his fourth concussion.

I feel for Kade..that sucks to go out that way.

Katfan
October 17th, 2016, 09:35 AM
UIW by 3 their offense is better, but ACU has a better D (imho) close game
SHSU by 21 depends on which Nichols team shows up, the one that played GA or the one that played HBU, either way, we win
SLU by 7
McNeese by 10
UCA by 28 no Kade no chance

katstrapper
October 17th, 2016, 12:01 PM
UIW at ACU...... Cardinals gave SHSU fits a couple of weeks ago. I think their offense is better than ACU. Cards by a TD.

SHSU at Nicholls... Kats have been good on the road this year, but Nicholls St in Thibodeaux hasn't always equaled success for the Kats. I think this could be a game where the starters finally have to play a full game. However, I think this team stays focused and wins on the road.

HBU at SLU... HBU is playing better football, but this game is in Hammond and SLU just had a nice game vs SFA..... SLU by 14.

McNeese at NWST..... Man, McNeese has me confused this year especially after getting shut out last week. I don't know who to pick in this one. PICKEM

Lamar at UCA... Lamar has played better, but not this week now that Harrington is out Bears shut out McNeese. UCA by 21

McNeese75
October 17th, 2016, 03:40 PM
UIW -14 at ACU
SHSU -17 at Nicholls This could turn into a battle but the Kats passing game should carry the day.
HBU at SLU - 10
McNeese -3 at NWST Yep, it's a homer pick.
Lamar at UCA - 28

TheRevSFA
October 17th, 2016, 03:52 PM
http://thefcswedge.com/slc/slc-week-8-preview/

BEAR
October 17th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Good write-up as usual. The SLC has been full of surprises this year. Nicholls doing so well. SFA reeling. McNeese struggling. Can't wait to see how this ends. Long way to go...

BEAR
October 18th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Anymore predictions? Any more injury updates? Anyone going to listen to the coaches calls on the SLC channel?

BEAR
October 18th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Just heard on the coaches call that coach Guidry's not only lost his brother but lost his grandfather. Tough week. Prayers for the coach and the team. Not sure if he will coach Saturday or not.

BEAR
October 18th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Clint Conque of SFA stated "we have 14 guys that aren't coming back". I guess he means for this year due to injuries and just leaving the team.

Katfan
October 18th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Clint Conque of SFA stated "we have 14 guys that aren't coming back". I guess he means for this year due to injuries and just leaving the team.
Wow hate to hear that!

Katfan
October 18th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Anymore predictions? Any more injury updates? Anyone going to listen to the coaches calls on the SLC channel?
I think our injuries are the same

Watanabe OL ankle
Okotcha LB
Avery RB still not near 100% limited playing time against ACU
Louis WR went down with shoulder, but was back in the game.

Backups have done a nice job filling in.

Nickels
October 18th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I think our injuries are the same

Watanabe OL ankle
Okotcha LB
Avery RB still not near 100% limited playing time against ACU
Louis WR went down with shoulder, but was back in the game.

Backups have done a nice job filling in.
If we keep this up we'll be the freshest team in the playoffs. Young guys getting much needed experience too.

Sammy94
October 18th, 2016, 02:07 PM
I am just afraid that come playoff time the starters, especially on defense, will be used to only playing 2 1/2 quarters.

Katfan
October 18th, 2016, 02:09 PM
I am just afraid that come playoff time the starters, especially on defense, will be used to only playing 2 1/2 quarters.
I agree, there is a certain amount of conditioning that only comes from playing in the games.

Daytripper
October 18th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I agree, there is a certain amount of conditioning that only comes from playing in the games.

We may see that addressed during the rest of the season. We still have enough time to play complete games. If we did so the rest of the season we would be in mid-season form at the end of the season without all the wear and tear. It could be a benefit if the coaching staff handles it right.

BEAR
October 18th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Glad to see the Kats have a formula to keep fresh for the playoffs. It should pay off eventually.

I think Coach Campbell has followed suit.
He uses 6 RBs, a QB that can run, and WR that are sometimes used in plays to run.
He uses 6 main WRs, but also uses RBs to come out the backfield to catch along with TEs.
Has a JR led Oline that is frequently backed up by freshman and sophomores.
Dline is experienced and rotates in bigger guys for the run and an entire new smaller squad for the pass.

Plus his coaching and motivation on the sidelines keeps the guys focused.

Are they world-beaters? No. But they do remind me of the Bison squads that didn't have individual outstanding players (minus their QB) but rather were playing as a "team effort" type of game.

Daytripper
October 18th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Glad to see the Kats have a formula to keep fresh for the playoffs. It should pay off eventually.

He uses 6 RBs, a QB that can run, and WR that are sometimes used in plays to run.
He uses 6 main WRs, but also uses RBs to come out the backfield to catch along with TEs.
Dline is experienced and rotates in bigger guys for the run and an entire new smaller squad for the pass.

Are they world-beaters? No. But they do remind me of the Bison squads that didn't have individual outstanding players (minus their QB) but rather were playing as a "team effort" type of game.

Good philosophy. Depth has always been the problem with FCS teams. The solution is to play as many players as possible as early as possible. Keeler tells his freshmen if you aren't getting on the field your freshman year, one or both of us made a mistake.

BEAR
October 18th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Good philosophy. Depth has always been the problem with FCS teams. The solution is to play as many players as possible as early as possible. Keeler tells his freshmen if you aren't getting on the field your freshman year, one or both of us made a mistake.

So he doesn't reshirt some of his freshman when he has depth at certain positions?

lionsrking2
October 18th, 2016, 02:58 PM

Playing true freshmen tends to reflect mistakes in previous classes. That's not to say there aren't good ones deserving of playing time, but when I see a lot of them playing significant snaps on one team, unless you're an Alabama or an Ohio State, there are usually red flags waving somewhere.

Daytripper
October 18th, 2016, 03:23 PM
So he doesn't reshirt some of his freshman when he has depth at certain positions?

He still redshirts where he can, but if you can play as a true freshman you will play. It is also easier to play true freshmen when you are ahead by 5 touchdowns at halftime.

Daytripper
October 18th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Playing true freshmen tends to reflect mistakes in previous classes. That's not to say there aren't good ones deserving of playing time, but when I see a lot of them playing significant snaps on one team, unless you're an Alabama or an Ohio State, there are usually red flags waving somewhere.

These freshmen don't necessarily start (except we have two freshmen WRs that are getting heavy rotation), but they play occasionally in the first half and get a lot of playing time when the game is no longer in doubt.

Katfan
October 18th, 2016, 03:51 PM

We have more depth than I remember us ever having,especially in the trenches. We have a few quality running backs but not 6. We throw to a lot of different receivers and the backs and tight ends out of the back field. I think we've had 12 different players catch passes. Our qb doesn't run the ball. Hope both teams stay healthy and win out, but lots of games to play. At any rate, it should be a big game to end the regular season. I think both teams could do well in the playoffs, but we'll probably have to play each other in the second round if we both make it. Good luck and plan to come to Huntsville for the game.

BEAR
October 18th, 2016, 04:18 PM
We have more depth than I remember us ever having,especially in the trenches. We have a few quality running backs but not 6. We throw to a lot of different receivers and the backs and tight ends out of the back field. I think we've had 12 different players catch passes. Our qb doesn't run the ball. Hope both teams stay healthy and win out, but lots of games to play. At any rate, it should be a big game to end the regular season. I think both teams could do well in the playoffs, but we'll probably have to play each other in the second round if we both make it. Good luck and plan to come to Huntsville for the game.

That sucks that we play each other the last game of the season then if we win our first round game we most likely will play each other again the very next game. UCA doesn't use 6 RBs every game but you will see 4 in there depending on the down and distance. Plus if the defense is having trouble tackling RBs that cut on angles you will see smaller ones. If they can't stop the straight on rush, you will see bigger ones. Which is probably what you guys do anyway. Let's stay healthy and see how our teams do come November. Massey has Sam winning against UCA at 52%. But of course that changes as the year wears on.

BEAR
October 19th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Anymore updates on teams this week? Or has Crapsville seated more SLC teams? xlolx

Catatonic
October 19th, 2016, 05:15 PM
Anymore updates on teams this week? Or has Crapsville seated more SLC teams? xlolx

Sam and UCA are the only two Southland teams still standing. Take us for granted and the rest of us might bite you on the butt, but beyond you two the rest of us range from ho, hum average to abysmal.

Daytripper
October 20th, 2016, 05:27 AM
Sam and UCA are the only two Southland teams still standing. Take us for granted and the rest of us might bite you on the butt, but beyond you two the rest of us range from ho, hum average to abysmal.

I'm worried about Nicholls this weekend. This is a trap game. The new #1 ranking and the traditional disdain for Nicholls football could be a recipe for an upset.

Catatonic
October 20th, 2016, 06:56 AM
I'm worried about Nicholls this weekend. This is a trap game. The new #1 ranking and the traditional disdain for Nicholls football could be a recipe for an upset.

#ThemLastChanceUboys

McNeese75
October 20th, 2016, 08:42 AM

You should be xnodx. Kats have plenty of offensive firepower in the passing game to overcome their strong run defense but **** happens on the bayou.

Katfan
October 20th, 2016, 11:08 AM
You should be xnodx. Kats have plenty of offensive firepower in the passing game to overcome their strong run defense but **** happens on the bayou.
Voodoo! I just hope the team makes it back in one piece

TheRevSFA
October 20th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I've already said my piece on the games this week.

I'll be watching this weekend, so I can make up more **** to write next week xnodx

Katfan
October 20th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I've already said my piece on the games this week.

I'll be watching this weekend, so I can make up more **** to write next week xnodx
I'm sure it will be good****!

MR. CHICKEN
October 21st, 2016, 10:15 AM
ABILENE CHRISTIAN
SAM HOUSTON STATE
S.E. LOUISIANA
MCNEESE STATE
CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Sammy94
October 21st, 2016, 04:49 PM
UIW (+7) at ACU
SHSU (+20) at Nicholls
HBU at SLU (+14)
McNeese (+10) at NWST
Lamar at UCA (+13)

Catatonic
October 21st, 2016, 05:05 PM
UIW at ACU. ACU by 2
SHSU at Nicholls. Sam rolls by 21
HBU at SLU. SLU is coming on these past few games. SLU +20
McNeese at NWST. McNeese by 7. Can't figure out the Cowboys.
Lamar at UCA. UCA by 23.