PDA

View Full Version : New USD coach announced - Ron Caragher

Foosball
January 8th, 2007, 09:40 PM
USD to introduce Caragher as new football coach

UNION-TRIBUNE

January 8, 2007

Ron Caragher
SAN DIEGO – Ron Caragher, who has spent the past four seasons as an assistant coach at the University of Kentucky, will be introduced Tuesday as the new head head football coach at the University of San Diego.
Caragher replaces Jim Harbaugh, who recently left the program to become the head coach at Stanford.

Caragher, 39, has served head coach Rich Brooks as the team's running backs coach all four seasons at Kentucky, and its head recruiting coordinator since 2005.

Previously, Caragher spent nine seasons (1994-2002) on UCLA's staff under Terry Donahue and Bob Toledo, the first two as a graduate assistant and the final seven coaching wide receivers and kickers and punters.

Caragher (pronounced CARE-ah-ger) is a native of Morgan Hill, where he played at Bellarmine Prep. He went on to play football at UCLA.

He and his wife, Wendy, have three sons, Josh, Ryan, and Scott.

Tuesday's news conference to introduce him will be at 11:30 a.m. at the Jenny Craig Pavilion.

GOTOREROS
January 8th, 2007, 09:43 PM
San Diego completed its head coach search by naming Ron Caragher as its new leader. Caragher played QB at UCLA, and then coached for 8 years under Bob Toledo at UCLA. Caragher joined the University of Kentucky in 2003 and was the recruiting coordinator and running backs coach for the Wildcats, helping lead them to a vicotry in this year's Music City Bowl over Clemson.

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010807aaa.html

TexasTerror
January 8th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I think we're all interested to see how USD does this year. They still have one helluva QB, but I do not think they'll be the same USD under a different coach...

USD will not get any true respect and move toward their desired playoff spot til they beat someone though...

slostang
January 8th, 2007, 10:02 PM
San Diego completed its head coach search by naming Ron Caragher as its new leader. Caragher played QB at UCLA, and then coached for 8 years under Bob Toledo at UCLA. Caragher joined the University of Kentucky in 2003 and was the recruiting coordinator and running backs coach for the Wildcats, helping lead them to a vicotry in this year's Music City Bowl over Clemson.

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010807aaa.html
So are you excited by the choice? He seems like a up and coming coach. Good luck.

igo4uni
January 8th, 2007, 10:26 PM
USD will not get any true respect and move toward their desired playoff spot til they beat someone though...

Very true!

Mr. C
January 8th, 2007, 11:31 PM
What? Another San Diego thread. Couldn't resist that. :D xlolx

So what do people know about Ron Caragher? Will he be able to recruit? Will he have the same type of high-powered offense?

Coastal89
January 8th, 2007, 11:48 PM
He'll probanly do a good job . His bio says he was recruiting coordinator at UK and just look at UKs roster from this year, almost all Fresh. and soph. He obviously brought in some talent to that program to go 8-5 and beat Clemson in a bowl(although Clemson is overrated and in self destruct mode right now. More to come on that soon).

DetroitFlyer
January 9th, 2007, 07:15 AM
So now I guess that being a co-champion of the Ivy League officially means you are no one according to the old guard.... :nono:

GOTOREROS
January 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I am VERY excited about Caragher. I think he will do a great job - he can obviously recruit and having worked under Bob Toledo and Rich Brooks he understands how to run an offense. With Dave Adolph staying the defense should be consistent and a strong point of the team.

Being a recruiting coordinator for an SEC team is a big deal, even is some of you don't think so.....

GOTOREROS

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM
So now I guess that being a co-champion of the Ivy League officially means you are no one according to the old guard.... :nono:
:deadhorse:

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I would think he has a good shot at recruiting well. USD has a good team and a mid-major "title". He's from the general area and has experience as the recruiting coordinator at KU. His coaching experience has mostly been on the offensive side which is USD's strong point (from what I saw this season) so I think it'd be a good fit.

Let's hope the AD schedules some good teams earlier in the season this time.

slostang
January 9th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I would think he has a good shot at recruiting well. USD has a good team and a mid-major "title". He's from the general area and has experience as the recruiting coordinator at KU. His coaching experience has mostly been on the offensive side which is USD's strong point (from what I saw this season) so I think it'd be a good fit.

Let's hope the AD schedules some good teams earlier in the season this time.
I know that Cal Poly would like to schedule a game with USD.

I would love to see them give scholarships and move up to the GWFC. They are in a great area and can recruit from both the San Diego and Los Angles areas. I think they would move up in the rankings very quickly if they added scholarships.

Foosball
January 9th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Is Adolph for sure staying? How about Harbaugh's other assistants?

DetroitFlyer
January 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM
OK, all you "full scholarship" programs out there, I have a question for you:

How many of your scholarship players out of the 63 schollys allowed are on a full ride? For example: 30 full rides, 33 split among 70 players

The reason I ask is that I am hearing that MANY FCS schools do not offer a large number of full rides. Many offer partial schollys to players.... This is how a USD can land recruits that might have ended up at so called scholly schools. Many of the recruits in the PFL are reported to have turned down partial or even full schollys at FCS, NAIA or Division II programs to play at their school of choice in the PFL.

I always thought that most of the time 63 schollys meant that 63 kids were getting full rides and the rest of the team was walk-ons.... I'm now thinking that it might vary widely among schools and conferences. I am also hearing the argument that the NEC's 30 scholarship level is not a big help because the schollys are divided among many players which allows non-scholly programs aid packages to be competitive with the "partial schollys" offered at NEC schools, especially if the PFL school is the recruits school of choice for football and non-football reasons.

What is the situation at your school?

aceinthehole
January 9th, 2007, 09:56 AM
OK, all you "full scholarship" programs out there, I have a question for you:

How many of your scholarship players out of the 63 schollys allowed are on a full ride? For example: 30 full rides, 33 split among 70 players
The reason I ask is that I am hearing that MANY FCS schools do not offer a large number of full rides. Many offer partial schollys to players.... This is how a USD can land recruits that might have ended up at so called scholly schools. Many of the recruits in the PFL are reported to have turned down partial or even full schollys at FCS, NAIA or Division II programs to play at their school of choice in the PFL.

I always thought that most of the time 63 schollys meant that 63 kids were getting full rides and the rest of the team was walk-ons.... I'm now thinking that it might vary widely among schools and conferences. I am also hearing the argument that the NEC's 30 scholarship level is not a big help because the schollys are divided among many players which allows non-scholly programs aid packages to be competitive with the "partial schollys" offered at NEC schools, especially if the PFL school is the recruits school of choice for football and non-football reasons.

What is the situation at your school?

FB schollys are "counters" meaning the limit is 63 players can get a scholly regardless if they get a full ride or not.

Even though NEC teams can give out 30 full rides per conference rules, they can not be split to more than 63 players (the NCAA limit).

UAalum72
January 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM
FB schollys are "counters" meaning the limit is 63 players can get a scholly regardless if they get a full ride or not.

Even though NEC teams can give out 30 full rides per conference rules, they can not be split to more than 63 players (the NCAA limit).
I thought it was 63 scholarships to up to 85 counters - which would be 41 full rides and 44 half rides.

DetroitFlyer
January 9th, 2007, 10:28 AM
So, a school can give out 63 full rides to 63 players or they can give out full or partial schollys to 63 players? I suppose to save money a school might not give out 63 full rides and offer something like 40 full rides and 23 partials? Then there is the PL with the grant/scholly/aid thing.... Maybe the PL schools give out 20 full grants and 43 partial grants? One thing seems certain from the folks I have spoken with, aid is not a clear cut as it might seem, and "non-scholly" programs are landing recruits that are also receiving some level of interest from various scholly schools. Has to be confusing for a HS kid and his parents unless you are getting a full ride to your school of choice.

aceinthehole
January 9th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I thought it was 63 scholarships to up to 85 counters - which would be 41 full rides and 44 half rides.

You may be right, but I really thought it was limited to the 63. I honestly forget the source I read it from or I'd post it. It should be in the NCAA regs somewhere.

GOTOREROS
January 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM
It is my understandong that Dave Adolph will be remaining as DC for San Diego, as well as secondary coach Ed Lamb. Tim Drevno, David Shaw, and Lance Anderson left with Harbaugh for Stanford. The remaining assistants are up in the air....

GreenDay17
January 9th, 2007, 12:44 PM
It is 63 scholarship equivalencies that can be used on up to 85 scholarship athletes.

The way it works is this: The school's financial aid department determines the cost of attendance for the year for a full-time student. That amount is used as the denominator in the fraction determining what % of a scholarship someone gets. With the BSC, the amount a scholarship athlete can be awarded in money for books is limited to a set amount (which is not as much as the school will set as a part of the denominator).

The actual dollar amount of the scholarship becomes the numerator. There are also some expenses that each school will factor in as a "cost of attendance" that the NCAA will not allow to be paid for by scholarship. You then have the "actual dollar amount of the sholarship" divided by "the cost of attendance". This leaves an athlete who is awarded a "full scholarship" to be acutally recorded as less than 1 in a scholarship equivalency.

Most of the "full scholarships" are actually counted as somewhere between .85 and .95 as equivalencies depending on if the student-athlete is an "in-state" or "out-of-state" student and also depending on any particular school's decision to pay some NCAA allowable extra expenses.

When I was coaching, I believe that we had approximately 75 scholarship players who were on an equivalent of approximately 61 scholarships.

ncbears
January 9th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I think UNC is traveling to USD this coming fall, correct??

ToreroTime
January 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Yes that is what I heard, Im pretty sure it is USD's 2nd game.

Model Citizen
January 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Third week, after Azusa Pacific and Marist.

slostang
January 9th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I think UNC is traveling to USD this coming fall, correct??
Hey ncbears, if you were going to travel all the way to California why not play your old conference mates in San Luis Obispo?

ncbears
January 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Hey ncbears, if you were going to travel all the way to California why not play your old conference mates in San Luis Obispo?

It wouldn't be pretty for us Bears. ;) ;)

ngineer
January 9th, 2007, 09:57 PM
USD to introduce Caragher as new football coach

UNION-TRIBUNE

January 8, 2007

Ron Caragher
SAN DIEGO – Ron Caragher, who has spent the past four seasons as an assistant coach at the University of Kentucky, will be introduced Tuesday as the new head head football coach at the University of San Diego.
Caragher replaces Jim Harbaugh, who recently left the program to become the head coach at Stanford.

Caragher, 39, has served head coach Rich Brooks as the team's running backs coach all four seasons at Kentucky, and its head recruiting coordinator since 2005.

Previously, Caragher spent nine seasons (1994-2002) on UCLA's staff under Terry Donahue and Bob Toledo, the first two as a graduate assistant and the final seven coaching wide receivers and kickers and punters.

Caragher (pronounced CARE-ah-ger) is a native of Morgan Hill, where he played at Bellarmine Prep. He went on to play football at UCLA.

He and his wife, Wendy, have three sons, Josh, Ryan, and Scott.

Tuesday's news conference to introduce him will be at 11:30 a.m. at the Jenny Craig Pavilion.

You gotta be kidding me! I guess people can't 'wait' to get in there...:rolleyes:

ereiz03
January 10th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Things are definitely looking good for USD with this signing. I'm fairly surprised that we were able to lure a main assistant from a BCS conference. Let's hope that he can keep our program going in the right direction. :hurray:

GOTOREROS
January 10th, 2007, 09:19 AM
[/U][/B]

You gotta be kidding me! I guess people can't 'wait' to get in there...:rolleyes:

Funny name, but state of the art facility. If Jenny Craig wants to donate $15 million dollars just to name another facility on campus fine by me....

Foosball
January 10th, 2007, 10:23 AM
[/U][/B]

Its known as the Slim Gym

DetroitFlyer
January 10th, 2007, 12:25 PM
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/01/10/sports/college/21_08_691_9_07.txt

I like this guy already and I had never heard of him until USD hired him as their head coach. Caught a PFL game in Dayton at Welcome Stadium between USD and Dayton. My Flyers were nice enough to lose the game so as to leave a good impression with the future USD coach.... Glad my Flyers could help out a fellow PFL school.... As a BCS coach with Kentucky at the time of his visit to Welcome Stadium, he recognized the quality of the play in the PFL! He also appears to be picking up where Harbaugh left off, pointing USD straight at a playoff bid as a non-scholarship program. He also seems willing to take on scholarship schools. I wish him all the success in the world, just not when USD is playing my Flyers!!

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Yes that is what I heard, Im pretty sure it is USD's 2nd game.
Any word on other OOC opponents?

Model Citizen
January 11th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Any word on other OOC opponents?

UC Davis is the only one not already identified in this thread.

Disclaimer: nothing official at this point.

wannabegaucho
January 12th, 2007, 08:35 PM
The Fat Farm (Jenny Craig Pavilion) is a nice arena, and USD is a beautiful camous. Too bad they don't give scholarships.

chattanoogamocs
January 20th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I hear that Jay Graham (former UT-Knoxville/NFL player) will be leaving Chattanooga to take a position on the new USD staff. Big loss for the Mocs staff.