PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Selection and Hosting Quidelines

BisonTru
October 13th, 2016, 07:26 PM
I figured I post some of the guidelines for this year.
Full Manual Here - http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016DIMFB_PreChampManual_20161011.pdf

Section 2•3 Selection Criteria

At-large teams shall be selected by the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee, assisted by four regionaladvisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.

The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket. Per NCAA Bylaw 31, the basic criteria used in the selection of at-large participants are (1) won-lost record,(2) strength of schedule, and (3) eligibility and availability of student-athletes for the NCAA championship;

2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, fewer than six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents;

5. If a committee member’s institution is under consideration, that committee member will not be allowed in the room during discussions involving his/her team and may not vote for his/her team during the voting process. Similarly, a committee member from a conference office may not be present during discussions, nor vote for any team from his/her conference.

BRACKET PAIRINGSAll pairings will be made by the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee. The following principles are applied when pairing teams:

1. The teams awarded the top eight seeds shall receive a bye in the first round and are placed in the appropriate positions in the bracket (Nos. 1, 8, 4 and 5 in the upper half; and Nos. 2, 7, 3 and 6 in the lower half);

2. The remaining 16 teams will play first-round games and will be paired according to geographic proximity and then placed in the bracket according to geographic proximity of the top eight seeds previously placed in the bracket;

3. The NCAA mileage threshold for mandatory team travel via ground is 400 miles;

4. If a conference has four or more teams in the championship, the committee may allow an additional flight in the first or second round in order to avoid a conference having all of its teams on the same side of the bracket.

5. Regular season non-conference match-ups in the first round of the championship should be avoided, provided it does not create an additional flight(s).

6. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games (except for teams from the same conference that did not play against each other during the regular season; such teams may play each other in the first round);NCAA PRE-CHAMPIONSHIP MANUAL DIVISION I FOOTBALL167. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket (e.g., a seeded team may play a conference opponent that advanced out of the first round).

BisonTru
October 13th, 2016, 07:30 PM
These appear to both be new this year.

4. If a conference has four or more teams in the championship, the committee may allow an additional flight in the first or second round in order to avoid a conference having all of its teams on the same side of the bracket.

- Above appears to be the new rule instated this year that most of us heard about. It allows them to split up the bracket if all teams from one conference are on one side. However there will still be regionalization. It basically just avoids the MVFC situation from last year.

5. Regular season non-conference match-ups in the first round of the championship should be avoided, provided it does not create an additional flight(s).

- This one also appears to be new. It doesn't rule out re-matches of non-conference teams, but it does discourage them if additional flights can be avoided.

BisonTru
October 13th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Section 2•4 Site Selection
With regard to first-round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1, the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:

1. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution(regardless of seeding).2. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of theestimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First round – $30,000
Second round – $40,000
Quarterfinals – $50,000
Semifinals – $60,0003.

If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the higher seeded teams.

4. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows
(1) quality of facility,
(2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts,
(3) attendance history and potential,
(4) team’sperformance (i.e., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents),
and (5) studentathletewell-being (e.g., travel and missed class time).

5. A conference champion would host a first-round game against a conference opponent (if applicable). This policy would be contingent upon the conference champion meeting the facility requirements to host and submitting an acceptable bid by the established deadline.6. If a second-round, quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions involved did no tsubmit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum financial guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host institution by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.

BisonTru
October 13th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Current members of the selection committee are:

CENTRAL REGION CENTRAL REGION
Brian Hutchinson, chair
Director of Athletics
Morehead State University

Kyle Moats
Director of Athletics
Missouri State University

CENTRAL REGION EAST REGION
Greg Seitz
Director of Athletics
Jacksonville State University

Nathan Pine
Director of Athletics
College of the Holy Cross

EAST REGION EAST REGION
Marty Scarano
Director of Athletics
University of New Hampshire

Paul Schlickmann
Director of Athletics
Central Connecticut State University

SOUTH REGION SOUTH REGION
Chuck BurchDirector of Athletics
Gardner-Webb University

Richard Johnson
Director of Athletics
Wofford College

WEST REGION WEST REGION
Brad Teague
Director of Athletics
University of Central Arkansas

Jeff Tingey
Director of Athletics
Idaho State University

ElCid
October 13th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Thought I would highlight some of the mandatory rules versus some of the wiggle room verbiage.

I figured I post some of the guidelines for this year.
Full Manual Here - http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016DIMFB_PreChampManual_20161011.pdf

Section 2•3 Selection Criteria

At-large teams shall be selected by the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee, assisted by four regionaladvisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.

The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket. Per NCAA Bylaw 31, the basic criteria used in the selection of at-large participants are (1) won-lost record,(2) strength of schedule, and (3) eligibility and availability of student-athletes for the NCAA championship;

2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, fewer than six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents;

5. If a committee member’s institution is under consideration, that committee member will not be allowed in the room during discussions involving his/her team and may not vote for his/her team during the voting process. Similarly, a committee member from a conference office may not be present during discussions, nor vote for any team from his/her conference.

BRACKET PAIRINGSAll pairings will be made by the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee. The following principles are applied when pairing teams:

1. The teams awarded the top eight seeds shall receive a bye in the first round and are placed in the appropriate positions in the bracket (Nos. 1, 8, 4 and 5 in the upper half; and Nos. 2, 7, 3 and 6 in the lower half);

2. The remaining 16 teams will play first-round games and will be paired according to geographic proximity and then placed in the bracket according to geographic proximity of the top eight seeds previously placed in the bracket;

3. The NCAA mileage threshold for mandatory team travel via ground is 400 miles;

6. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games (except for teams from the same conference that did not play against each other during the regular season; such teams may play each other in the first round);NCAA PRE-CHAMPIONSHIP MANUAL DIVISION I FOOTBALL167. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket (e.g., a seeded team may play a conference opponent that advanced out of the first round).

F'N Hawks
October 13th, 2016, 07:52 PM
So they are trying to avoid rematches of non-conference games. That might pop up and will be interesting to see how they handle it.

BisonTru
October 13th, 2016, 07:56 PM
So they are trying to avoid rematches of non-conference games. That might pop up and will be interesting to see how they handle it.

From my understanding you guys might be paired up with USD because the 400 mile rule would make splitting that match up an additional flight. However, you guys shouldn't be paired with Stony Brook since that would be a flight anyway they did it. All of this is only for the first round.

F'N Hawks
October 13th, 2016, 08:00 PM
From my understanding you guys might be paired up with USD because the 400 mile rule would make splitting that match up an additional flight. However, you guys shouldn't be paired with Stony Brook since that would be a flight anyway they did it. All of this is only for the first round.

UND has to win FIVE more games before we start booking flights....lol. Long way to go with that squad.

melloware13
October 13th, 2016, 08:01 PM
The one thing I don't like about the guidelines for bracketing is #7, that a seeded team can have it's first game be conference rematch. I'd rather them have it so no team plays a rematch in its first game (not dependent on it being both teams first game).

BisonTru
October 13th, 2016, 08:03 PM
UND has to win FIVE more games before we start booking flights....lol. Long way to go with that squad.

I'd hold off on flights either way. You're probably heading to Fargo or Brookings.

superman7515
October 13th, 2016, 08:29 PM
The one thing I don't like about the guidelines for bracketing is #7, that a seeded team can have it's first game be conference rematch. I'd rather them have it so no team plays a rematch in its first game (not dependent on it being both teams first game).

As I have said from the beginning, I don't think it's an issue we'll have to be concerned with as long as the current regime remains in place.