PDA

View Full Version : Fargo Columnist Slaps the Big Sky......

WYOBISONMAN
January 8th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Mike McFeely, Sports columnist for the Fargo Forum took a swipe at the Big Sky Conference in his recent Web Blog. McFeely examined the decision by the Big Sky to take Norther Colorado over North and South Dakota State as conference members. It is a great read that shows the stupidity by the Big Sky Conference in that decision.

A quote from the blog....

No, I firmly believe the Big Sky presidents are so geographically arrogant that they would rather take a piece of crap, on-the-cheap athletic program simply because it is located in a Rocky Mountain state. Then again, what else would you expect from a conference that added two piece of crap, on-the-cheap athletic programs (Sacramento State, Portland State) because they are located in major West Coast markets?

There are two entries that talk about this issue. One titled, "Nice choice, Big Sky" and one titled, "Nice choice, Big Sky (Chapter 2)"

It is a good read as we move towards the possible invite of NDSU and SDSU to the Gateway.....

http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/

ncbears
January 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM
smack?

89Hen
January 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM
It is a good read as we move towards the possible invite of NDSU and SDSU to the Gateway.....
I'm not sure how you Bison and Rabbit fans feel, but I like the Gateway for you better anyway. :twocents:

89Hen
January 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM
smack?
By the blogger, not WYO

Gil Dobie
January 8th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure how you Bison and Rabbit fans feel, but I like the Gateway for you better anyway. :twocents:

Both are great conferences, but geographically I like the Gateway.

WYOBISONMAN
January 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM
No smack intended here. Just a link to what McFeely wrote........

And yes....I am very excited about the Gateway prospects!!

RockyMtnGriz
January 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Not that I don't agree with you that BSC Presidents are idiots xidiotx , being geographical bias and should have taken NDSU and SDSU rather than UNC. Heck, I wouldn't mind if the BSC would get ride of Sac St. too.

But, aren't NDSU and SDSU doing the same thing :eyebrow: ( being geographical bias) , if they bail to the Gateway from the Great West. Or geography aside, is it OK for NDSU and SDSU to jump from the Great West to the Gateway simply because they will be in an autobid conference. Great West is definitly the best conference in the West from top to bottom, and will only get better with the addition of UND and USD. Even without an autobid, with the strength of the Great West there is little doubt the winner will most likely be in the playoff (once eligible).

bison95
January 8th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Not that I don't agree with you that BSC Presidents are idiots xidiotx , being geographical bias and should have taken NDSU and SDSU rather than UNC. Heck, I wouldn't mind if the BSC would get ride of Sac St. too.

But, aren't NDSU and SDSU doing the same thing :eyebrow: ( being geographical bias) , if they bail to the Gateway from the Great West. Or geography aside, is it OK for NDSU and SDSU to jump from the Great West to the Gateway simply because they will be in an autobid conference. Great West is definitly the best conference in the West from top to bottom, and will only get better with the addition of UND and USD. Even without an autobid, with the strength of the Great West there is little doubt the winner will most likely be in the playoff (once eligible).

I think it comes down to scheduling. 9 team conference, 4 home and 4 away games automatic. Pick up 3 more games and we are golden. Now we have 2 home 2 away each year, and need 7 out of conference games to schedule, seems like a no brainer to me, plus if we move to the Gateway, I would hope that the Cali schools stay on the schedule for OCC games.

ncbears
January 8th, 2007, 02:17 PM
You know it's smack, so why didn't you put it in its appropriate place??

GRZZ
January 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Stating opinions that are fairly accurate is no smack...

Mr. C
January 8th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Your name calling is TOTALLY out of place around here. Moderators, please take care of this. The story was fair game.

ncbears
January 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM
GET OVER IT! You're not in the Big Sky, probably never will be. Why keep attacking UNC like this? I know you didn't write the blog, but why keep bringing the subject up? This isn't the first time you've done this and I also see you've posted the same thing over at egriz. Get a life Wyobisonman and GET OVER IT!!!!!

GRZZ
January 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
GET OVER IT! You're not in the Big Sky, probably never will be. Why keep attacking UNC like this? I know you didn't write the blog, but why keep bringing the subject up? This isn't the first time you've done this and I also see you've posted the same thing over at egriz. Get a life Wyobisonman and GET OVER IT!!!!!

The article makes for good discussion. That is what this board is for. And I, for one, prefered them over UNC and feel that the decision was made based on some of what he discussed.

WYOBISONMAN
January 8th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I would think that a major DI-AA newspaper columnist's analysis of a conference invitee and susbsequent success, or in this case a stunning failure, is very much appropriate discussion for the DI-AA football board. No smack, no name calling, just citing the discussion from McFeely's blog. These blogs were recently written and so it is a very timely topic.

AmsterBison
January 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Meh, McFeely's schtick is to smack people. Usually it's NDSU though (and, personally, I prefer it when he sticks closer to home).

NoCoDanny
January 8th, 2007, 05:57 PM
This columnist hates us. He's made a point at taking a shot at us a few times. It bothered me before but I'm finding it a bit odd this time around. NDSU is on the verge of joining the Gateway which is a much better situation and yet he's still got his panties in a wad over something that happened 2 years ago.

Why this has become a personal afront to his ego is beyond me.

NoCoDanny
January 8th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Oh and those that call it a "failure" I hereby ban you from watching any Big Sky coverage on Altitude and you're no longer allowed to recruit in this state and keep your alumni out of here and draging down our gene pool.

dbackjon
January 8th, 2007, 07:07 PM
The article seems like major bitter sour grapes. Just crying from him. And it is SMACK, passed off as an article.

ncbears
January 8th, 2007, 09:01 PM
The article seems like major bitter sour grapes. Just crying from him. And it is SMACK, passed off as an article.

You're right. I think Wyo knows it too.

NDSUFREAK
January 8th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Well if you would relax and have some resoned discussion then it doesnt have to be smack. You know that UNC doesnt belong in the BSC (last thing I say on that and I had to say it) but if you would kow mcfooley then you would see it comeing.

WYOBISONMAN
January 8th, 2007, 10:07 PM
You're right. I think Wyo knows it too.

Actually.....not smack....you just disagree with the writer and that does not make it smack. UNC is terrible in Football and BB, and that is not smack....just a fact. UNC had a back up player stab a starter.....that is not smack..... just a fact. It also seems that a bunch of people from the Montana schools agree with McFeely.....that is not smack...just a fact.

spelunker64
January 9th, 2007, 08:15 AM

I believe the ADs from the GWFC schools agreeded when they formed the GWFC that if an opportunity arose like this (Gateway discussion) that it was OK. :nod:

Proud Griz Man
January 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Old news. Someone in NoDak hating Montana or the BSC.

:boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :bo:boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:ring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

ncbears
January 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Wyo, then could the fact that you're a bitter fool not be considered smack? Just leave the Big Sky thing alone brother. It's not good to hold on to things like this. Move on. Please!!!

MplsBison
January 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM
This is definitely not smack. It should stay on this forum.

It's definitely a legitimate talking piece that the Big Sky bet the farm on UNC and they're failing miserably in the 2 money sports (football and MBB).

Sawtooth
January 9th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Agreed.

UNC was not a bad choice, even though the Dakota schools would have been better. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the problems UNC had was an entire coaching staff who weren't supportive of the move to Division I (I listened to an interview with the former football coach -- Dalton? -- a couple of years ago, and he was whining that UNC could never compete at the DI level and he "couldn't" get the scholarship numbers increased). From an outsider looking in, it appears the AD "ripped the band-aid off all at once," by firing the football and basketball coaching staffs at the same time. Things are ugly for UNC now, but they will improve. I think they are already ahead of where EWU, PSU, and Sac were when they joined the conference.

Fullerton (who I'm not impressed with) stated the Dakotas didn't fit the geographical footprint. He was right, when you take into account Sacramento State and Portland State. However, what many of us theorized is that the addition of UNC actually changed the geographical footprint -- the conference now geographically centers around UM, MSU, ISU, WSU, and UNC. Some of us think this was done to help get the Dakotas in for the future. Who knows...

I just don't get the ragging on UNC. Should they have turned down the conference invite? They'd have been damn foolish for doing that. Hell, rag on the Big Sky and Fullerton, but why drag another school through the mud for something which really isn't their fault. Looks pissy and petty to me. :twocents:

bison95
January 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Problem is he has been anti NDSU and against the DI move from the start. It almost seems odd for him to say anything but "I told you so" To bison fans.

biobengal
January 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM
No, I firmly believe the Big Sky presidents are so geographically arrogant that they would rather take a piece of crap, on-the-cheap athletic program simply because it is located in a Rocky Mountain state. Then again, what else would you expect from a conference that added two piece of crap, on-the-cheap athletic programs (Sacramento State, Portland State) because they are located in major West Coast markets?

His smack is not limited to UNC, the "two piece of crap, on-the-cheap athletic programs" at Sacramento State and Portland State have also drawn his ire. Why???? If it's not smack, well.... perhaps it's just junvenile.

ncbears
January 9th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Sawtooth is right. We're going through coaching changes in both those "money" sports. He's also right about coach Daltons attitude, and the fact that he left us with little talent to compete in the Big SKy. Coach Downing used a bunch of true freshmen, more then any other year last season and that's evident we didn't have the talent from Daltons years to play in the Big Sky. If in 6 years we are still only winning 1 game a season then yes, it was a mistake to add us. As for our mens basketball team? We're better then our record says. We've had lots of very close losses to some decent teams. We lost by 2 to the University of COlorado, 1 point to Weber St, 1 point to Sac St, Oregon St by 2.

We're not doing so bad in womens b-ball and volleyball.

Jackluv
January 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM
this IS smack so get it off this board.....plus ..sorry to say, even though that the presidents of the BSC are idiots, the other coaches of the BSC didnt like how far away and the traveling accomodations they would hav to make to travel to SDSU and NDSU...i heard that straight from a BSC head coach's mouth sooo

both are extremely talented teams but ND and SD are states with nooothing in them

bison95
January 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
His smack is not limited to UNC, the "two piece of crap, on-the-cheap athletic programs" at Sacramento State and Portland State have also drawn his ire. Why???? If it's not smack, well.... perhaps it's just junvenile.

Yes it is!

ncbears
January 9th, 2007, 01:37 PM
C'mon Ralph or other mods. Let's get this on the smack board.

GRZZ
January 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Well, some have their opinions. But I would have prefered adding two teams that would strengthen our conference as opposed to one team that (right now, not forever) only helps people like Cap'n call our conference a complete joke. I don't this is smack guys, but that is just my opinion.

Green Cookie Monster
January 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I haven't visited this site for months simply due to the ongoing bashing and 'look at me' attitude of Nodak people on AGS. To set some records straight:

Sac State won five conference championships last season

Big Sky (3):
Volleyball
Tennis, mens and womens

WAC:
Gymnastics

WIRA:
Rowing

and came in second in conference in:

Big Sky:
womens soccer

PCSC:
softball

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/info/team_results.asp

And is currently second in the overall '06-'07 Big Sky Commish Cup

Looks like they really don't have anything better to do up in the armpit of America than cry, pout and attack other programs.

A new $11M football fieldhouse is under construction and a new HC will be named this week. I think football at Sac will be ok. Plus, Sac has 20 varsity sports it sponsors, what does UM sponsor 14?

Its all good.

If you are referring to Cap N Cat, just look at his signature, posts and replies and I think you would get an idea of what a joke is.

WYOBISONMAN
January 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM
differing opinions is not smack.....name calling is. There is no smack coming from me on this thread.........

dbackjon
January 9th, 2007, 02:07 PM
differing opinions is not smack.....name calling is. There is no smack coming from me on this thread.........

Not from you, but in the article you posted, which was full of whining, name-calling and smack. You are letting the juvenile writer do you dirty work for you so you can claim to be pristine and pure on this, which we know is BS.

ncbears
January 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Not from you, but in the article you posted, which was full of whining, name-calling and smack. You are letting the juvenile writer do you dirty work for you so you can claim to be pristine and pure on this, which we know is BS.

Yup!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

GRZZ
January 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
A new $11M football fieldhouse is under construction and a new HC will be named this week. I think football at Sac will be ok. Plus, Sac has 20 varsity sports it sponsors, what does UM sponsor 14?

Really? You're really going to take a shot at UM? And where, exactly would you like our new rowing team to practice?

*we do have a rowing club team, not the same thing.

MplsBison
January 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM
NDSU won the Western Tiddlywinks Conference championship for the 06-07 season.

This is a football message board.

What has Sac's football team done lately?

MR. CHICKEN
January 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
AH LIKE DIS DISCUSSION...O' IDEAHS.....COWBOYS......AT EACH OTHERAH...LIKE PHILLY COUSINS.........ATTENDIN' UH OPEN BAR.....FAMILY WEDDIN'..........:nod:...BRAWK!

OOOOPS.......DIS MAY QUALIFY.....AS.........s---k!

JALMOND
January 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Mike McFeely, Sports columnist for the Fargo Forum took a swipe at the Big Sky Conference in his recent Web Blog. McFeely examined the decision by the Big Sky to take Norther Colorado over North and South Dakota State as conference members. It is a great read that shows the stupidity by the Big Sky Conference in that decision.

A quote from the blog....

There are two entries that talk about this issue. One titled, "Nice choice, Big Sky" and one titled, "Nice choice, Big Sky (Chapter 2)"

http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/

Mr McFeely needs to make a Special Delivery away from such topics that he knows ZERO about. "Piece of crap" Portland State has just completed a year where they played three FBS bowl bound teams, going 1-2 against them with the two losses against BCS Pac-10 schools Cal and Oregon. Due to scheduling conflicts, Portland State played only four home games this year. In the FCS, Portland State went 6-2, 3-1 on the road and 3-1 at home. Portland State football has now gone through seven winning seasons in the last eight years (11 of the last 14 including the I-AA transistional period). Through the I-AA transistion period, we were able to retain our coaching services, thereby assuring us a smooth transistion from DII to I-AA. Arguably, Portland State has adequately competed with the traditional Big Sky powers, having lost only one conference home game in the last three years (Montana this past year). Portland State, as well as other Big Sky members, have done their share in dispelling the nationwide rumor that the Big Sky is just Montana and the rest when it comes to football. Not too bad for a "piece of crap" football program.

As I stated before when the vote come before the Big Sky schools about NDSU and SDSU that, as much as we'd like to think, the bulk of the power within the conference still comes from Montana, Montana State, Idaho State and Weber State, and if those schools really wanted NDSU and SDSU, there really wouldn't be anything the rest of us could do about it. Portland, Sacramento and Greeley are much more similar to the geography of the other Big Sky schools than Fargo or Brookings, as the mountains and skiing are just moments away from any of those. Oregon, California and Colorado are much more of a hotbed for Big Sky recruting than the Dakotas or Minnesota.

I would love the opportunity to show Mr McFeely ("won't you be my neighbor") just how good this "piece of crap" football program is. Have your people call our people and let's get this done.

Green Cookie Monster
January 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM
NDSU won the Western Tiddlywinks Conference championship for the 06-07 season.

This is a football message board.

What has Sac's football team done lately?

And what has Weber, ISU, NAU football done lately? Why don't you bash on them? You continually pick Sac to bash on because you think it was Sac who kept you clowns out of the Big Sky.

If true, thank goodness, that is what the Sac State athletic department has done lately. :hurray:

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Mr McFeely needs to make a Special Delivery away from such topics that he knows ZERO about. "Piece of crap" Portland State has just completed a year where they played three FBS bowl bound teams, going 1-2 against them with the two losses against BCS Pac-10 schools Cal and Oregon. Due to scheduling conflicts, Portland State played only four home games this year. In the FCS, Portland State went 6-2, 3-1 on the road and 3-1 at home. Portland State football has now gone through seven winning seasons in the last eight years (11 of the last 14 including the I-AA transistional period). Through the I-AA transistion period, we were able to retain our coaching services, thereby assuring us a smooth transistion from DII to I-AA. Arguably, Portland State has adequately competed with the traditional Big Sky powers, having lost only one conference home game in the last three years (Montana this past year). Portland State, as well as other Big Sky members, have done their share in dispelling the nationwide rumor that the Big Sky is just Montana and the rest when it comes to football. Not too bad for a "piece of crap" football program.

As I stated before when the vote come before the Big Sky schools about NDSU and SDSU that, as much as we'd like to think, the bulk of the power within the conference still comes from Montana, Montana State, Idaho State and Weber State, and if those schools really wanted NDSU and SDSU, there really wouldn't be anything the rest of us could do about it. Portland, Sacramento and Greeley are much more similar to the geography of the other Big Sky schools than Fargo or Brookings, as the mountains and skiing are just moments away from any of those. Oregon, California and Colorado are much more of a hotbed for Big Sky recruting than the Dakotas or Minnesota.

I would love the opportunity to show Mr McFeely ("won't you be my neighbor") just how good this "piece of crap" football program is. Have your people call our people and let's get this done.

That can't be jalmond!!! Portland State is in the high and mighty BSC, which demands 6 home games a year!!! Ya'll trying to get kicked out?? xlolx :D ;)

89Hen
January 10th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Portland State has just completed a year where they played three FBS bowl bound teams... Due to scheduling conflicts, Portland State played only four home games this year.
The scheduling conflicts being that none of the three I-A teams would come to Portland? :rolleyes: xcoffeex

bison95
January 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM
That can't be jalmond!!! Portland State is in the high and mighty BSC, which demands 6 home games a year!!! Ya'll trying to get kicked out?? xlolx :D ;)
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx How do you get Mountain Dew out of your nose hairs?

WYOBISONMAN
January 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Portland, Sacramento and Greeley are much more similar to the geography of the other Big Sky schools than Fargo or Brookings, as the mountains and skiing are just moments away from any of those.

And that has to do with conference affiliation how? Now this has to be one of the more bizzare statments of this entire thread. What you have stated has absolutely nothing to do with conference affiliation. The Big Sky doesn't have skiing as one of it sports.......good grief I have heard it all. By the way.....I live 90 minutes from Park City.....so what..........:eyebrow:

JALMOND
January 10th, 2007, 02:19 PM
And that has to do with conference affiliation how? Now this has to be one of the more bizzare statments of this entire thread. What you have stated has absolutely nothing to do with conference affiliation. The Big Sky doesn't have skiing as one of it sports.......good grief I have heard it all. By the way.....I live 90 minutes from Park City.....so what..........:eyebrow:

And what, exactly, does Fargo and Brookings have in common with the other cities of the Big Sky? Ok I'll give you fishing, although fishing is everywhere. NDSU and SDSU has more in common with the Gateway and all its "pond" fishing.

Let me send you the book "The Big Sky". You may read it, then tell me how Fargo and Brookings fit the profile of the Big Sky.

Sign seen in North Dakota---"Mountain Removal Project Complete".

Bobcat in NC
January 10th, 2007, 03:24 PM
And what, exactly, does Fargo and Brookings have in common with the other cities of the Big Sky? Ok I'll give you fishing, although fishing is everywhere. NDSU and SDSU has more in common with the Gateway and all its "pond" fishing.

Let me send you the book "The Big Sky". You may read it, then tell me how Fargo and Brookings fit the profile of the Big Sky.

In all seriousness, the "geographical" argument doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Geographically, what do Boone (mountains) and Statesboro (ummm, not mountains) have in common? Does that mean one of them should leave the SoCon?

Don't get me wrong, I think that it's GREAT to have PSU in the Big Sky. I think the world of your athletic programs and would hate to see a Sky without PSU. I'm just not a big fan of the geographical argument. That being said, I'd really like to see NDSU and SDSU in the BSC. I know I haven't thought the whole thing out, but I'd love to see a 14-team super conference with 2 divisions (Basically, the BSC and the GWFC joining forces):

"Mountain"
MSU
UM
NDSU
SDSU
Weber
UNC
? (UND when they move up?)

"Pacific"
EWU
PSU
ISU
Weber
Sac
NAU
Cal Poly
Davis

My reasoning is not well thought out at all, I just really like the idea of having so many ridiculously good football programs in the same conference. Just a random thought that I like. Please don't provide me with a "That idea is stupid and here's why." response, as I really have no defense for this scenario. Just thought it would be neat.

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
In all seriousness, the "geographical" argument doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Geographically, what do Boone (mountains) and Statesboro (ummm, not mountains) have in common? Does that mean one of them should leave the SoCon?

Don't get me wrong, I think that it's GREAT to have PSU in the Big Sky. I think the world of your athletic programs and would hate to see a Sky without PSU. I'm just not a big fan of the geographical argument. That being said, I'd really like to see NDSU and SDSU in the BSC. I know I haven't thought the whole thing out, but I'd love to see a 14-team super conference with 2 divisions (Basically, the BSC and the GWFC joining forces):

"Mountain"
MSU
UM
NDSU
SDSU
Weber
UNC

"Pacific"
EWU
PSU
ISU
Weber
Sac
NAU
Cal Poly
Davis

My reasoning is not well thought out at all, I just really like the idea of having so many ridiculously good football programs in the same conference. Just a random thought that I like. Please don't provide me with a "That idea is stupid and here's why." response, as I really have no defense for this scenario. Just thought it would be neat.

Versions of this idea have been floated on here numerous times. Unfortunately, none of us get a vote. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bobcat in NC
January 10th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Versions of this idea have been floated on here numerous times. Unfortunately, none of us get a vote. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

AZGriz, you fell into my trap. I was just hoping you'd respond so I could get another look at your avitar (although bison95's it right near the top of my list, too).

Okay, that's not why I posted it, but it sounded like a good excuse. Forgive the newbie for beating a dead horse. Won't happen again. : retard :

MplsBison
January 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I'd rather see:

NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD
MSU
UM
ISU
UI
USU
EWU

That'd be a pretty good conference if you could get Idaho and Utah State to back down to FCS football.

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I'd rather see:

NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD
MSU
UM
ISU
UI
USU
EWU

That'd be a pretty good conference if you could get Idaho and Utah State to back down to FCS football.

What you gonna call that? The Snow and Wind Conference? :D

Bobcat in NC
January 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I'd rather see:

NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD
MSU
UM
ISU
UI
USU
EWU

Ummmmm, which USD? The Torreros? I'm kidding!!!!! I'm just having USD-thread withdrawal and hadn't seen a reference to them in a while...

:flagged:

Bobcat in NC
January 10th, 2007, 04:29 PM
What you gonna call that? The Snow and Wind Conference? :D

xlolx

ndsubison
January 10th, 2007, 08:59 PM

NDSU will probably never be in the BSC. Then again, UNC will probably never have another decent football team. HMMMMM, which comes first:spank: :spank: xcoffeex . Good thing the BSC admitted UNC becauwe we all know the Montana schools always wanted another doormat. God, I'm glad I'm not a punter in Greeley... xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

dbackjon
January 10th, 2007, 09:07 PM
NDSU will probably never be in the BSC. Then again, UNC will probably never have another decent football team. HMMMMM, which comes first:spank: :spank: xcoffeex . Good thing the BSC admitted UNC becauwe we all know the Montana schools always wanted another doormat. God, I'm glad I'm not a punter in Greeley... xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Are bitter sour grapes a major crop grown in North Dakota these days?

ncbears
January 10th, 2007, 09:31 PM

I'll take my chances on us being a good football team again. We hired Nebraska's top recruiter as a coach and we're upgrading our football facilities to help recruiting as well. As Nebraska's coach Bill Callahan said, Downing will "Dominate" 1AA because of his recruiting ability. And at least we have our own football stadium which is more then what NDSU can say. Gosh, I'm glad I don't live in Fargo.xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

I Bleed Purple
January 11th, 2007, 02:05 AM
I've never really been a fan of the nine team conference. Great for football. Sucks for any other team sport. Football runs college, so I guess.

Having not looked carefully at the entire thread, I'll mention that my money is on UNC getting in and not the Dakotas due to that nine team reason.

I Bleed Purple
January 11th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I know I haven't thought the whole thing out, but I'd love to see a 14-team super conference with 2 divisions (Basically, the BSC and the GWFC joining forces):

"Mountain"
MSU
UM
NDSU
SDSU
Weber
UNC

"Pacific"
EWU
PSU
ISU
Weber
Sac
NAU
Cal Poly
Davis

I know we're in the center geographically of such a super conference, but that's a helluva lot of conference games we'd have to play each year.

Kidding aside, you really haven't thought it out. SUU is left in the cold. Little close OOC teams in which to play that isn't in a different division.

WYOBISONMAN
January 11th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Again more stuff that has zero to do with NCAA athletics. You are indeed the poster child for GEOGRAPHIC ARROGANCE. You just proved McFeeley's case.:eyebrow:

And quite honestly......PETA supporters (living in suburban Portland and California) that want to take away my right to hunt, have a lot less in common with a person from Utah, Montana, Wyoming or the Dakotas for that matter. I was raised in North Dakota about 15 miles from the Montana line and I would beg to differ that the Dakotas are so radically different that most of the Big Sky territory (living in Wyo. makes me vaguely familiar with the Inter-mountain West). But again....that has zero to do with NCAA Athletics.

Take a look at what does matter.....the budgets of NDSU and Montana and Portland State. Now who looks similar? Also pull out the attendance figures for your major NCAA sports.....again, who looks similar? I guess PSU is a directional secondary state institution with luke warm support. NDSU is a well funded flagship institution with huge support accross the state. Hmmmm......We kind look like Montana and Montana State....our next door neighbors!

JBB
January 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
This samck was posted by McFeely and spread by Wyo to every board in the area. Why? Resentment against the BSC for not inviting NDSU, naturally.

Wyo was a big supporter for NDSU in the BSC, all of us were. In fact, at one time the BSC seemed like our only option, but please get off the backs of UNC and the Sky.

The BSC made the best choice. UNC is in the footprint. The Great Landgrants were not.

Running down UNCs athletic programs is rediculous. Its embarassing for NDSU fans at large. McFeely is missguided on this and so are the people using it to bash UNC and the BSC, no matter how coy.

Save your breath for something important like talking about und. ordering people not to talk about und or lecturing bisonville posters on the proper party line.

WYOBISONMAN
January 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM
No JBB........I thought McFeely gave an accurate sumation of what has happened, albiet using some pretty strong statements.

dbackjon
January 11th, 2007, 10:42 AM
No JBB........I thought McFeely gave an accurate sumation of what has happened, albiet using some pretty strong statements.

What you call strong statements, the rest of us call smack, petty, whining sour grapes.

MplsBison
January 11th, 2007, 11:01 AM
at least we have our own football stadium which is more then what NDSU can say.

The city built it for NDSU.

NDSU has first dibs on scheduling and takes all money made from NDSU events.

Unlike UNC, our facility continues to be used and makes money the rest of the 46 weeks of the year.

NE MT GRIZZ
January 11th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I agree with you Bison. I'm a Jamestown College Grad, and it was nice to have the Dome for concerts and many other things during the 6 months of winter we went through.

I don't know the full capacity for concerts but there were 18,000 for the Bush concert in 96. That was probabaly good for the economy.

AggiePride
January 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM
You guys are still arguing if this article is smack?

The wheels on the bus go.....

ncbears
January 11th, 2007, 12:17 PM
You guys are still arguing if this article is smack?

The wheels on the bus go.....

Blame it on Wyobisonman. He's the one who insists it isn't smack.

GrizDen
January 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Here's some informatioon from the UM AD regarding the potential of playind NDSU or SDSU in the future.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/01/11/sports/sports03.txt

“North Dakota State, I think, right now still has four games to schedule next year. No one wants to play them. (But) they're somebody who we've talked with.”

O'Day hopes to schedule a home-and-home series with another FCS program, but that's dicey considering Montana's recent history. The Griz haven't been to Cal Poly, a nearly perennial foe, since 2001. They bought out a return trip to Hofstra scheduled for 2005, irritating Pride coach Joe Gardi.

They just bought out South Dakota State instead of taking a trip to Brookings in September, hence the two-week gap in their schedule. O'Day is hoping to restart a home-and-home with the Jackrabbits, with it starting at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in 2007. So far, SDSU isn't on board.

“We understand why people would be upset,” said O'Day, who is still working at leveling an athletic budget that ran $1 million to the red in 2004. “But we have to continue to move on.”

Moving on could mean a home-and-home with an Ivy League team, or one of the Dakota schools: North Dakota State had Montana State opt out of its 2007 game at Fargo.

Gil Dobie
January 11th, 2007, 01:06 PM
The city built it for NDSU.

NDSU has first dibs on scheduling and takes all money made from NDSU events.

Unlike UNC, our facility continues to be used and makes money the rest of the 46 weeks of the year.

It's also on the NDSU Campus and gets double the crowd of a UNC home game.

spelunker64
January 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Here's some informatioon from the UM AD regarding the potential of playind NDSU or SDSU in the future.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/01/11/sports/sports03.txt

“North Dakota State, I think, right now still has four games to schedule next year. No one wants to play them. (But) they're somebody who we've talked with.”

O'Day hopes to schedule a home-and-home series with another FCS program, but that's dicey considering Montana's recent history. The Griz haven't been to Cal Poly, a nearly perennial foe, since 2001. They bought out a return trip to Hofstra scheduled for 2005, irritating Pride coach Joe Gardi.

They just bought out South Dakota State instead of taking a trip to Brookings in September, hence the two-week gap in their schedule. O'Day is hoping to restart a home-and-home with the Jackrabbits, with it starting at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in 2007. So far, SDSU isn't on board.

“We understand why people would be upset,” said O'Day, who is still working at leveling an athletic budget that ran $1 million to the red in 2004. “But we have to continue to move on.”

Moving on could mean a home-and-home with an Ivy League team, or one of the Dakota schools: North Dakota State had Montana State opt out of its 2007 game at Fargo.

Yeah, sounds really promissing. xidiotx

ncbears
January 11th, 2007, 01:16 PM
It's also on the NDSU Campus and gets double the crowd of a UNC home game.

1. You're not around other bigger schools that demand others attention.
UNC is within 1 hour of two of two bigger schools. One in which is a BCS school.

2. People in Colorado love their outdoor sports and many do these things on the weekends. Greeley is an hour within Rocky Mountain National park and 4 hours away from nice skiing too. People in Fargo do what in the winter? Ice Fish? Sweeett!!!

Not making any excuses and we do need to improve on our attendance, but these are factors that influence who comes to our games.

WYOBISONMAN
January 11th, 2007, 01:20 PM
UNC is within 1 hour of two of two bigger schools. One in which is a BCS school.

2. People in Colorado love their outdoor sports and many do these things on the weekends. Greeley is an hour within Rocky Mountain National park and 4 hours away from nice skiing too. People in Fargo do what in the winter? Ice Fish? Sweeett!!!

Not making any excuses and we do need to improve on our attendance, but these are factors that influence who comes to our games.

A strange rationalization for the little or no fan support enjoyed by your school.....xlolx

You should have been at the NDSU/SDSU game this year in the Fargodome and experience real CS football.:thumbsup:

Green Cookie Monster
January 11th, 2007, 01:26 PM

No need to justify yourself. All BSC schools have many activities to do besides watch a college football game in a barn.

There is NOTHING else for anybody to do than watch a Bison game. Ok, maybe watch a Sioux game.

It is like being on Mars and having a Rosie O'Donnell workout tape drop out of the sky. Your going to watch it because there is nothing else to do besides watching rocks become smaller rocks.

ncbears
January 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM
A strange rationalization for the little or no fan support enjoyed by your school.....xlolx

You should have been at the NDSU/SDSU game this year in the Fargodome and experience real CS football.:thumbsup:

Strange rationalization? I don't see anything that is "strange" about what I wrote. Please tell me what is so strange about it.

GABison
January 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Strange rationalization? I don't see anything that is "strange" about what I wrote. Please tell me what is so strange about it.

Correct me if I am wrong, Wyo, but I think he means that you make it sound like your fans would rather be building a cute snowman instead of going to UNC football or basketball games.:)

WYOBISONMAN
January 11th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, Wyo, but I think he means that you make it sound like your fans would rather be building a cute snowman instead of going to UNC football or basketball games.:)

Ditto!:thumbsup:

ncbears
January 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM
The bottom line is this:

Wyo, your a bitter man and even your own people like JBB think you are. It's time to leave the subject a lone! Living your life like this is no way to go. Move on brother! If you keep posting things like this on AGS and Egriz, it's not going to help yo uget over your obsession!

MplsBison
January 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM
but these are factors that influence who comes to our games.

Deer hunting season has quite an impact on our attendance.

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Deer hunting season has quite an impact on our attendance.
I hope they bring those steaks with them to the following games for tailgating! :hyped: