PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Montana St Opts Out

Pages : [1] 2

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2007, 07:44 PM
First well publicized blow from the 12th game legislation going down, though expected. This would've been a great game for NDSU and Montana St. It's a shame to see it go to the side. Hopefully, we'll see continued efforts at staging quality OOC games in the Football Championship Subdivision...

Montana State opts out of game with NDSU
Associated Press

FARGO, N.D. - Montana State officially canceled its football game at North Dakota State next season, leaving Bison athletic director Gene Taylor scrambling for games.

The move came on the heels of legislation at the NCAA Convention in Orlando, Fla. A proposal to add a 12th game for Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) teams was defeated on Saturday. The measure needed 62 percent approval to pass, but got just 48 percent.

"I would say it was soundly defeated," Taylor said.

Montana State athletic director Peter Fields was in Orlando for the NCAA meeting Sunday and could not be reached for comment.

Without a 12th game, Montana State apparently will opt for another date with a Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly I-A) opponent. Coincidentally, NDSU may have to go the same route.

NDSU did not get to vote on the 12th game issue because it is in its Division I transition period. After being initially opposed to the proposal, Taylor said he had mixed feelings about it.

"I thought (12 games) would maybe open up some more I-AA opponents," he said.

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/colleges/mercer/16405956.htm

No_Skill
January 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Was there ever any doubt? :nonono2:

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Was there ever any doubt? :nonono2:

Any discussion of who NDSU may get to replace this game? Hope you folks don't have to play a Div II team from the NCC...:nonono2:

MplsBison
January 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I'm hoping UNI.

NDSUFREAK
January 7th, 2007, 08:31 PM
:bang:: flamemad:splat::splat:MONTANA STATE:splat::splat:: flamemad:bang:

NDSUFREAK
January 7th, 2007, 08:32 PM
: flamemad

aggie6thman
January 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Yet another Big Sky team opting out of an OOC game at a GWFC school. Surprise surprise.

GOKATS
January 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Give it a break!! With the addition of N. Colorado, BSC teams have four conference games at home and four on the road. MSU is committed to six home games every year, which leaves one OOC game on the road. This year it's a money game against Texas A&M.

Given a 12th game I think the NDSU game would've happened and a lot of MSU fans were looking forward to the road game.

With only five teams in the Great West, it leaves many more scheduling options.

Rabbit3467
January 7th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Scheduling options???? I think you meant to say scheduling problems, especially when big sky teams opt out of contracts. I understand why they do, they want a money game, but its really tough on teams, especially those from the GWFC. There are very few teams that dont have their schedules set for next year, which leaves very few scheduling options for teams that lose games (i.e. NDSU/SDSU to MSU/UM). Why do u think we get stuck playing DII, DIII, NAIA, college of the blind...because they get paid then. Im glad im not an AD trying to schedule 7 OOC games, especially when teams opt out 8 months before your supposed to play.

89rabbit
January 7th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I think the lesson learned (by SDSU, NDSU, Cal-Poly, Maine, and countless others) is when you do a home and home or a 2 for 1 with a Big Sky team you make sure the first game is at your place. :nonono2: :nono:

BigApp
January 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM
BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

aggie6thman
January 8th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Give it a break!! With the addition of N. Colorado, BSC teams have four conference games at home and four on the road. MSU is committed to six home games every year, which leaves one OOC game on the road. This year it's a money game against Texas A&M.

Given a 12th game I think the NDSU game would've happened and a lot of MSU fans were looking forward to the road game.

When you see teams in your conference and your own team as well get shafted by other schools who choose to opt out of the contract, then you can give it a break. We just have to keep proving ourselves on the field to become the big draw.

I think the lesson learned (by SDSU, NDSU, Cal-Poly, Maine, and countless others) is when you do a home and home or a 2 for 1 with a Big Sky team you make sure the first game is at your place.

:hurray: :hurray:

BALD EAGLE
January 8th, 2007, 02:41 AM
This is certainly unfortunate for NDSU but is not the first time they have gotten "screwed". They should have been in the playoffs. I saw ASU and NDSU play and NDSU was clearly the better team in my opinion.

I have followed I-AA football since 1983 and have attended 8 National Championship games. NDSU was as good as most of the teams I saw win a National Championship which included Ga. Southern, Montana State, Southern Illinois, Youngstown State and UMASS.

This is coming from an obnoxious "die-hard" GSU fan who finds it very difficult to say any team is as good as my “beloved” Eagles, except for this year of course.

I am glad that ASU, which had an outstanding team, did win the National Championship and would have pulled for the Mountaineers if they had played NDSU.

Ga. Southern's record in the playoffs, the true indicator of the best program in I-AA history, is 38 and 10 with 6 National Championships.

The next best playoff record is Youngstown State's 25 and 7 with 4 National Championships.

lucchesicourt
January 8th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Personally, if I was a coach or athletic director, I would just avoid playing schools who have a reputation of opting out of contracts on a consistant basis. Why schedule a team that has no problem opting out of games, if they find another opponent they feel is more worthy for some reason? Seems like a DISRESPECT for their scheduled oppponent"s program. I know there are times when opting out of a game is necessary for the benefit of your own program, but when a team does it on a regular basis, I'd avoid scheduling them. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even call them or take their calls. I would just consider it a waste of mine and their time.

slostang
January 8th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Personally, if I was a coach or athletic director, I would just avoid playing schools who have a reputation of opting out of contracts on a consistant basis. Why schedule a team that has no problem opting out of games, if they find another opponent they feel is more worthy for some reason? Seems like a DISRESPECT for their scheduled oppponent"s program. I know there are times when opting out of a game is necessary for the benefit of your own program, but when a team does it on a regular basis, I'd avoid scheduling them. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even call them or take their calls. I would just consider it a waste of mine and their time.
Other options is to play the first game of a home and home at home or make the buy out so large that if they back out at least you get a decent a large check.

lucchesicourt
January 8th, 2007, 09:48 AM
But, given their reputation, I doubt you could get them to agree to the first game on the road.

lucchesicourt
January 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I think Big Sky teams pretty much figure they are like 1A's and that you need to play them at home. The only road games they seem to like are conference and 1A games.

Bisondad
January 8th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Hey Big App, you guys have any openings??????? I'd like to travel to NC this fall.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2007, 09:56 AM
The MSU fans were probably scared that we would damage their tailgating vehicles.

STACCATS
January 8th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Give it a break GWFC members. Montana State is going to take the money gave over going to NDSU, and so would any of you.

And Slostang, you of all people should not be bashing MSU about not playing home and homes. How many times have the Cats been in SLO the last 8 years?

bison95
January 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM
:rotateh:

MarkCCU
January 8th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Damn Montana!!! If the BCS can do it then by god so can we. we're better than them AND we play for a real National Championship

Jackluv
January 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Give it a break GWFC members. Montana State is going to take the money gave over going to NDSU, and so would any of you.

And Slostang, you of all people should not be bashing MSU about not playing home and homes. How many times have the Cats been in SLO the last 8 years?

i completely agree STACCATS, any DIAA would take the money over going to NDSU. if you think about it....both games are winable although 2 VERY tough opponents. but would you rather lose to Texas A&M and get $400,000 or lose to an up-and-coming DIAA power????? easy choice here, any1 would do it:nod:

bison95
January 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM
i completely agree STACCATS, any DIAA would take the money over going to NDSU. if you think about it....both games are winable although 2 VERY tough opponents. but would you rather lose to Texas A&M and get $400,000 or lose to an up-and-coming DIAA power????? easy choice here, any1 would do it:nod:

I am so glad NDSU didn't get invited into the Big Sky. Hell I thought it was about competition, now that I know it is about #1 money #2 make sure you guarntee a winning record by only playing for money on the road. Pussies, all of ya:eek: :twocents:

spelunker64
January 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have played Minnesota this year if we would have found a IAA team to play for that date.

RabidRabbit
January 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have played Minnesota this year if we would have found a IAA team to play for that date.

Yes, that was negotiated for a LONG WHILE between NDSU & UNI. Unfortunately, both needed the home game.

I hope that UNI & NDSU can work it out this year, but appears that the need for home games could be the deterent this year.

BTW - The concentrated efforts of Montana & Montana St. to AVOID their FCS OOC opponents NEEDS THE PUBLICITY/ ACKNOWLEDGEMENT being leveled in this forum :thumbsup:

FargoBison
January 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Montana St dropped NDSU to play Dixie State at home so they could get a 6th home game, they could have played both games but it was too tough. That pisses me off a bit but if I was an SDSU fan my blood would be boiling about what Montana did to them. Travel to Missoula twice to get one home game and Montana is too good to make the trip. When a school can't honor a 2 for 1 is when buyouts have gotten out of control at that school.

AggiePride
January 8th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Run Cats, Run!

Mountaineer
January 8th, 2007, 12:14 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6149/scaredmj3.jpg

putter
January 8th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Montana St dropped NDSU to play Dixie State at home so they could get a 6th home game, they could have played both games but it was too tough. That pisses me off a bit but if I was an SDSU fan my blood would be boiling about what Montana did to them. Travel to Missoula twice to get one home game and Montana is too good to make the trip. When a school can't honor a 2 for 1 is when buyouts have gotten out of control at that school.

I don't disagree with you so why don't you e-mail our AD and let him know about it. I did. I understand the finances of a home game but if you tell a team to spend the money to come to Missoula twice and then don't fulfill your end, that is bad. :nonono2:

ucdtim17
January 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM

That's great, but sooner or later, FCS teams are going to realize BSC teams won't honor contracts and won't schedule games with them. I hope you enjoy the home game with Dixie or Montana Tech or Northern Utah Ranger Academy - you're going to be seeing a lot of them.

FargoBison
January 8th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I don't disagree with you so why don't you e-mail our AD and let him know about it. I did. I understand the finances of a home game but if you tell a team to spend the money to come to Missoula twice and then don't fulfill your end, that is bad. :nonono2:

I'm glad you voiced your opinion to your AD and I hope other Montana fans do as well. Whats his email address?

GOKATS
January 8th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall but I'll try one more time. The negotiations with NDSU occurred prior to N. Colorado joining the Big Sky. Prior to N. CO every other year the Cats had three conference road games, so could schedule two OOC road games. Now there are four conf. road games and four conf. home games. MSU is absolutely committed to the boosters and fans to six home games every year which leaves one OOC game on the road each year. Most MSU fans were looking forward to the NDSU game this year, but N. CO changed things.

Maybe NDSU is rolling in dough and dollars don't count, but $450,000 to play Texas A&M means a helluva lot to the MSU athletic budget. Maybe some of the posters here feel otherwise, but unless the NDSU AD is one of the dumbest SOB's on earth, he would make the same decision.

youwouldno
January 8th, 2007, 12:35 PM
ucdtim has it right. There are consequences to breaking commitments, even if the contract technically allows the termination. It's still bad faith and totally unbecoming of the athletic dept.

FargoBison
January 8th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall but I'll try one more time. The negotiations with NDSU occurred prior to N. Colorado joining the Big Sky. Prior to N. CO every other year the Cats had three conference road games, so could schedule two OOC road games. Now there are four conf. road games and four conf. home games. MSU is absolutely committed to the boosters and fans to six home games every year which leaves one OOC game on the road each year. Most MSU fans were looking forward to the NDSU game this year, but N. CO changed things.

Maybe NDSU is rolling in dough and dollars don't count, but $450,000 to play Texas A&M means a helluva lot to the MSU athletic budget. Maybe some of the posters here feel otherwise, but unless the NDSU AD is one of the dumbest SOB's on earth, he would make the same decision.

You dropped NDSU to play Dixie State not Texas A&M, I could see NDSU playing Texas AM and honoring the contract with a team like MSU if they were in a similar situation. I am sick of hearing Montana St fans say we dropped NDSU to play Texas AM, at least get it right and say we dropped NDSU to get a 6th home game. Must be nice to have 6 home games I wonder if NDSU will even get 5 this year, I doubt the 10k MSU sent to buyout the game will do much in terms of fixing that problem.

Go Bison
January 8th, 2007, 12:52 PM

IF MSU went to NDSU first, you would be upset as well. What probably should have happened was when Northern Colorado joined the Big Sky this should have turned into a guarantee game instead of a home and home agreement, because there was no way MSU would return the trip.

Go Bison
January 8th, 2007, 12:57 PM

So has it occurred to you that NDSU might want home games as well?

I hope people on this board remember when they are talking about strength of schedule next year that NDSU had Montana State on the schedule but they backed out to play a DII game. Last year everyone was saying how NDSU's schedule wasn't very tough but when you can't get the better schools to play you especially at home, there is not much more you can do unless you want to play every game on the road.

patssle
January 8th, 2007, 01:16 PM
SHSU is still look for a game. This would be a great OOC game!

X-Factor
January 8th, 2007, 01:21 PM

So let me get this straight....what your basically saying is that Montana State will never again do home-home agreements with OOC because Northern Co. joined the sky and your athletic dept cant afford not to play a FBS guarantee every year. Screwy xidiotx No wonder why alot of people think the Sky is weak, they don't play anyone.

X-Factor
January 8th, 2007, 01:26 PM
SHSU is still look for a game. This would be a great OOC game!

Does SHSU need a home game in '07?

I think NDSU has 3 so far (UCD, SUU, and SFA). Chances are we'll pull in a DII or lower level FCS for the opener, but we still need at least one more home game.

AggiePride
January 8th, 2007, 01:32 PM

So now you're basically "incapable" of playing OOC away games, well against anyone with a pulse at least?

On, and BTW, it's Dixie State... not A&M... not quite as good eh?

RabidRabbit
January 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM
THE MONTANAS' COMMITMENT TO 6 HOME GAMES is THE ISSUE. In a 11 game schedule, one year you get 5 home games. The next 6 home games.

Honor your commitments to play FCS teams, and sacrifice the SACRED COW 6TH GAME: flamemad : flamemad : flamemad

WHY ARE THE MONTANA SCHOOLS PROVIDED ANY MORE SPECIAL PRIVILEDGE THAN ANY OF THE OTHER FCS SCHOOLS? :nono: :nono: :nono:

Go to 5 home games this year Montana, Montana St.!!!!

It's tough having only 4 HOME GAMES because ANOTHER SAME DIVISION SCHOOL BACKS OUT OF THEIR COMMITMENT TO RETURN A HOME GAME!

THE TWO MONTANA SCHOOLS ARE THE WORST IN THE FCS AT THIS, AND IT'S TIME TO MAKE EVERYBODY AWARE!!!

SUU, d**n you for booking these abusive schools in '07, '08, you get screwed too!

GOKATS
January 8th, 2007, 02:03 PM
So let me get this straight....what your basically saying is that Montana State will never again do home-home agreements with OOC because Northern Co. joined the sky and your athletic dept cant afford not to play a FBS guarantee every year. Screwy xidiotx No wonder why alot of people think the Sky is weak, they don't play anyone.

I never say never, but under the current 9 team Big Sky configuration I'd say that's a distinct possibility if the AD can schedule a money game on the road every year. We're in the initial stages of a major capital campaign with major facilities improvements coming up- dollars are dollars.

The MSU AD did say in todays Bozeman Chronicle that if the 12th game would have been approved (he voted for it) the NDSU game would have happened next fall. He also said the NDSU game could occur in 2008, but my guess is if he can schedule a money game it won't happen.

AggiePride
January 8th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I never say never, but under the current 9 team Big Sky configuration I'd say that's a distinct possibility if the AD can schedule a money game on the road every year. We're in the initial stages of a major capital campaign with major facilities improvements coming up- dollars are dollars.

The MSU AD did say in todays Bozeman Chronicle that if the 12th game would have been approved (he voted for it) the NDSU game would have happened next fall. He also said the NDSU game could occur in 2008, but my guess is if he can schedule a money game it won't happen.

Why do you keep bringing money games into this?

Montana St. is not backing out for money.

BigApp
January 8th, 2007, 02:49 PM
where did all the Montana State posters go????

eaglesrthe1
January 8th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Either NDSU was adequately compensated for this, or there is a problem with their AD's negotiating skills.

Perhaps if he took the money from the buyout, and used it to sweeten the pot for another IAA team (such as UNI) to come in their place?

GOKATS
January 8th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Look at it any way that fits your agenda. I have repeatedly stated that MSU will not play less than 6 home games. That leaves one OOC road game and the AD chose to make it Texas A&M (a money game) rather than NDSU. If it makes you feel better to think that MSU backed out because they were 'afraid' to go to NDSU so be it, but it's simply not the case.

Go Bison
January 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM
One study we should do, has a Big Sky team ever beat a Great West team at home? I know NDSU played Weber State and the score was 45-0 NDSU. No other Big Sky team has come to NDSU that I can think of.

WYOBISONMAN
January 8th, 2007, 04:17 PM
It was a business decision on Montana State's part. While I don't like it, it is all according to the contract. NDSU should have had a higher buyout, we just didn't think we needed that with Montana State.

Bobcat in NC
January 8th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Rabid Rabbit, and all others out there, please list for me the times that Montana State has backed out of the back end of a home and home.

My memory might be failing me, but I can't think of another time.

Additionally, for all of you who don't believe this is about money, get a clue. Seriously. I'm not saying that it's right, or even that I like it, but it's simply a fact. An away BCS game for $450k and the revenue generated by a DII home game. Face it, if your school (whatever school that may be) had committed itself to 6 home games and 5 road games and already had 4 automatic conference road games, your school would do backflips for the opportunity to go to College Station for big money.

Realistically, I agree with one of Rabid Rabbit's thoughts (if you can get through all the ridiculous CAPS and emoticons to actually read it): I would love to see a rotating 6-home, 5-home schedule from year to year. Personally, I'm bummed that the NDSU game won't happen next year (and, for what it's worth, I wish that they would have gotten the Big Sky invite over UNC. Nothing against UNC, I just don't think they were ready yet).

Finally, to all those who sense some sort of fear on MSU's part: Get over yourselves. The Bobcats went 4-2 on the road last year, losing only to the eventual champions and a semifinal team at the 2 most difficult stadiums in the PCS. Then again, the Fargodome is more difficult to play in than WaGriz and Kidd Brewer combined. Right. xidiotx

nevadagriz
January 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I respect the fact many of you fans are upset with the recent "back outs" of both montana schools. However there is not a damn thing any fan from either school can do about it! Write the ad's of both schools don't scream at posters we did not do the scheduling! I for one would love nothing more than to go to fargo and beat the bison soundly this year, hell I would trade a loss to the bobcats just to beat the bison!
Also is it official that the GRIZ are not going to sdsu this fall????If so I have not seen anything?

Ronbo
January 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM
The latest I've heard is that we are going to SDSU. If a big offer comes up to play a FBS school then I'll wager for a half million or so they will back out and buyout SDSU. It will be to your benefit to schedule someone else if that happens because next year's Griz will be very good. We have almost the entire team back that beat you 36-7, we get Lex Hilliard back, and a new center that was a starter at Oklahoma. A game with us next year could be a 40 point embarrassment for you. Better schedule someone you have a chance against.:nod:

nevadagriz
January 8th, 2007, 05:36 PM
:rotateh: :rolleyes: ;) :p The above post by ronbo is why you should hate the grizzlies not our scheduling!

GOKATS
January 8th, 2007, 05:57 PM
:rotateh: :rolleyes: ;) :p The above post by ronbo is why you should hate the grizzlies not our scheduling!

:nod: :thumbsup: :hurray: :homer:

aggie6thman
January 8th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Look at it any way that fits your agenda. I have repeatedly stated that MSU will not play less than 6 home games. That leaves one OOC road game and the AD chose to make it Texas A&M (a money game) rather than NDSU. If it makes you feel better to think that MSU backed out because they were 'afraid' to go to NDSU so be it, but it's simply not the case.

Then don't sign a contract that puts you in that situation. See how easy it gets?:nonono2: xidiotx

aggie6thman
January 8th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Last time Montana State scheduled a Division II school:
Montana State 24
Chaldron State 35

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

You reap what you sow!!!!

:hurray: :hurray: :nod: :nod:

89rabbit
January 8th, 2007, 06:09 PM
The latest I've heard is that we are going to SDSU. If a big offer comes up to play a FBS school then I'll wager for a half million or so they will back out and buyout SDSU. It will be to your benefit to schedule someone else if that happens because next year's Griz will be very good. We have almost the entire team back that beat you 36-7, we get Lex Hilliard back, and a new center that was a starter at Oklahoma. A game with us next year could be a 40 point embarrassment for you. Better schedule someone you have a chance against.:nod:

Please. :rolleyes: Come to Brookings if you dare.

Tailbone
January 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I am so glad NDSU didn't get invited into the Big Sky. Hell I thought it was about competition, now that I know it is about #1 money #2 make sure you guarntee a winning record by only playing for money on the road. Pussies, all of ya:eek: :twocents:

Clueless!
What the buyout really demonstrates is your position in the pecking order.
Why would anyone forego a big FBS payout, or a commitment to one's own fans (home games) to appease the bloated egos and self righteous indignation of another school's fans?
If your AD has any sense he'll be doing it too, as soon as he is able.
In fact, it's how you did it in DivII - did it bother you then?
It's not how I'd like things to be but it is life in the FCS, and it always will be!
You bemoan the fact that "it's about the money", you truly need a lesson in economics(or more importantly, life). Much of Montana's success (for example) is due to facilities, everyone would like to enjoy the same degree of consistent success, hence other school's follow the same model to improve their facilities - and, therefore, their opportunities to achieve consistent success. And with the success comes increased FBS payouts - no one is going to pay SAC state 650K to play them...and SAC can take a game for much less and still make a profit (in fact any road game would probably generate more income than a home game...call their AD, they might take a game for the comparatively paltry offer you would make. shoot, they'd probably make more money if you bought off your end and opted out).

Bottom line - as long as there are FBS schools willing to pay enticing amounts for sacrificial lambs, there are FCS schools willing to "opt out" of FCS obligations.

You can be angry.....it's OK, but to call anyone who'd take the money over the "wonderful opportunity" to play the "mighty Bison", pussies is ridiculous. I don't care how good you think you are...many FBS teams are better team than the Bison, some are the schools responsible for the FCS opt outs and are the teams played in your stead.

Grow-up.

AZGrizFan
January 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Why? Because it came from Ronbo, or because it's true? :confused: :p

WYOBISONMAN
January 8th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Why do these threads always wind up being a "My Dad can beat the hell out of your Dad" thread......

89rabbit
January 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Why do these threads always wind up being a "My Dad can beat the hell out of your Dad" thread......

That is easy, because the BSC schools won't come to our houses and meet our dads. If they did they would know better. :smiley_wi xlolx

AZGrizFan
January 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM
That is easy, because the BSC schools won't come to our houses and meet our dads. If they did they would know better. :smiley_wi xlolx

Yeah, because if we did, the 36-7 score might turn into 28-10. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Gawd forbid. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Tailbone
January 8th, 2007, 06:26 PM

My guess.
It's because the (justifiable) frustration of "some" fans leads to insults...and begets a like response.
I personally have no issue with those who offer reasoned arguements, but I must admit to little tolerance for those who insult me (or by extension, those with whom identify) for "avoiding" the "mighty Bison" out of fear, rather than obviously plausible (and likely) alternatives.

I don't know if my dad can beat up yours....but he can piss farther :smiley_wi

GOKATS
January 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Then don't sign a contract that puts you in that situation. See how easy it gets?:nonono2: xidiotx

The contract was negotiated prior to the BCS admitting N. Colorado, which changed the whole scheduling scenario- Get it? :bang: :bang:

AZGrizFan
January 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM
My guess.
It's because the (justifiable) frustration of "some" fans leads to insults...and begets a like response.
I personally have no issue with those who offer reasoned arguements, but I must admit to little tolerance for those who insult me (or by extension, those with whom identify) for "avoiding" the "mighty Bison" out of fear, rather than obviously plausible (and likely) alternatives.

I don't know if my dad can beat up yours....but he can piss farther :smiley_wi

I'm pretty sure mine can whip yours. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

And piss farther. :eek: :thumbsup:

ASU Kep
January 8th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Scheduling options???? I think you meant to say scheduling problems, especially when big sky teams opt out of contracts. I understand why they do, they want a money game, but its really tough on teams, especially those from the GWFC. There are very few teams that dont have their schedules set for next year, which leaves very few scheduling options for teams that lose games (i.e. NDSU/SDSU to MSU/UM). Why do u think we get stuck playing DII, DIII, NAIA, college of the blind...because they get paid then. Im glad im not an AD trying to schedule 7 OOC games, especially when teams opt out 8 months before your supposed to play.

Play us.

nevadagriz
January 8th, 2007, 06:41 PM
The bison are playing minnesota again right? That will be two years in a row you have played them at their house and they won't return the favor!
Why those ccheap self serving bastards, I know all gwfc teams should never playa big 10 team ever again!! xlolx ;)

Az I was just kidding ronbo relax man.xcoffeex

ASU Kep
January 8th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Play us.

Seriously. Nobody else wants to. I know we're a long way away but we both pull great crowds and it would be a fantastic match-up. I'd propose a home-away-home for ASU, allowing the series to continue into ya'lls full acceptance into I-AA (in which you'd get a home/away) and therefore being probably one of the most important FCS match-ups of the year.

It could happen...

89rabbit
January 8th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah, because if we did, the 36-7 score might turn into 28-10. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Gawd forbid. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

How soon we forget.

Montana 7 - SDSU 0

by the way this is the first season that we will have 63 scholarships.

ucdtim17
January 8th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Seriously. Nobody else wants to. I know we're a long way away but we both pull great crowds and it would be a fantastic match-up. I'd propose a home-away-home for ASU, allowing the series to continue into ya'lls full acceptance into I-AA (in which you'd get a home/away) and therefore being probably one of the most important FCS match-ups of the year.

It could happen...

I'm completely comfortable not playing BSC games outside of Sac. New Hampshire came out here last year. SFA came out here in '04. UCA came out here this year. Northeastern is coming out next year. Go east, GWFC teams - there are so many teams back there and I'm sure there are plenty that would jump at the opportunity to come to California (or Dakotas), with a return trip from us, of course

Bison05
January 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM

It could happen...
Im sorry, but I highly doubt we would ever consider doing a 2 for 1 with a FCS team. If it came to that, we would much rather schedule a BCS money game or bring in a lower FCS team for a guarentee game.

slostang
January 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM

It could happen...
I am sure that Cal Poly would love a home and home with Ap State. I know I would. I would love to visit the rock.

igo4uni
January 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I am sure that Cal Poly would love a home and home with Ap State. I know I would. I would love to visit the rock.

I would hope UNI would like a home and home with ASU as well. After all, they had to score a defensive TD and only beat us by 5 points in Chatty!!:D :D :D

Go Bison
January 8th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I respect the fact many of you fans are upset with the recent "back outs" of both montana schools. However there is not a damn thing any fan from either school can do about it! Write the ad's of both schools don't scream at posters we did not do the scheduling! I for one would love nothing more than to go to fargo and beat the bison soundly this year, hell I would trade a loss to the bobcats just to beat the bison!
Also is it official that the GRIZ are not going to sdsu this fall????If so I have not seen anything?

As a Bison fan, all I can say is Bring on the Competition! However, I highly doubt either the Griz or the Bobcats can beat the Bison in the Fargodome.

AZGrizFan
January 8th, 2007, 11:16 PM
How soon we forget.

Montana 7 - SDSU 0

by the way this is the first season that we will have 63 scholarships.

How soon we forget:

Montana 36 - SDSU 7

;) ;) ;) ;)

At this rate, we beat you 72-14 next year. :thumbsup:

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Come to Brookings and prove it. xlolx xidiotx xlolx

AZGrizFan
January 9th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Come to Brookings and prove it. xlolx xidiotx xlolx

sorry, rabbit. Just using your twisted, transitory logic against you. xidiotx :p

AZBison
January 9th, 2007, 02:14 AM
I have a bad feeling that somehow this "feud" will end up with me and AZGriz boozing it up in Scottsdale... after we sock eachother in the face.

spelunker64
January 9th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Either NDSU was adequately compensated for this, or there is a problem with their AD's negotiating skills.

Perhaps if he took the money from the buyout, and used it to sweeten the pot for another IAA team (such as UNI) to come in their place?

I believe it was only $10,000, not much sweetness for the pot there.

lucchesicourt
January 9th, 2007, 08:24 AM
The answer is, if you do schedule Montana or Montana State, don't expect them to come to your place. It just ain't gonna happen. Let them find OOC games from elsewhere. Azusa Pacific, Dixie State, etc. are probably willing to go to Montana provided the Montana schools fund the game(wait- that would cost them money- can't do that!). Maybe the Montana schools should just play their 4 road conference games and one FBS school for their one OOC road game, and just stop signing contracts with FCS schools altogether. Everyone would be better off.

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 08:24 AM
sorry, rabbit. Just using your twisted, transitory logic against you. xidiotx :p

How do you figure? You and Ronbo are the ones trying to make the sad case that you are doing us a favor by not coming to Brookings because you would beat us senseless and trying to use past scores as proof. Pretty weak at best.

If you really believe that you are that good sack up, live up to your contract obligations, basically be men about it, and come to Brookings and play.

If not shut up and enjoy your games against the Montana School for wayword girls or whatever NAIA and D-II schools you can get to come to your stadium.

If you guys want to play "Big Time" that is fine start paying guarantees when you want one of us poor undeserving to come to Washington-Griz rather then enter into home and home deals that you have no intention of honoring.

As said before Montana has done nothing wrong from a contractual stand point, and if you guys want to hide behind that, well that is your choice, but I expected more from the "Mighty Griz". I am sure you will only do this once to SDSU.

Weak weak weak, you really should be embarrassed about your program. Is this the way that most folks do business in Montana? :nonono2:

Your athletic department reminds me of used car sales people. "Well it says here in the contract that once you drive it off the lot we are not responsible". :nono:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/film.usedcars.jpg

bison95
January 9th, 2007, 08:44 AM
The bison are playing minnesota again right? That will be two years in a row you have played them at their house and they won't return the favor!
Why those ccheap self serving bastards, I know all gwfc teams should never playa big 10 team ever again!! xlolx ;)

Az I was just kidding ronbo relax man.xcoffeex

there was no home and home deal, and the 07 game was scheduled prior to the 06.

bison95
January 9th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Clueless!
What the buyout really demonstrates is your position in the pecking order.
Why would anyone forego a big FBS payout, or a commitment to one's own fans (home games) to appease the bloated egos and self righteous indignation of another school's fans?
If your AD has any sense he'll be doing it too, as soon as he is able.
In fact, it's how you did it in DivII - did it bother you then?
It's not how I'd like things to be but it is life in the FCS, and it always will be!
You bemoan the fact that "it's about the money", you truly need a lesson in economics(or more importantly, life). Much of Montana's success (for example) is due to facilities, everyone would like to enjoy the same degree of consistent success, hence other school's follow the same model to improve their facilities - and, therefore, their opportunities to achieve consistent success. And with the success comes increased FBS payouts - no one is going to pay SAC state 650K to play them...and SAC can take a game for much less and still make a profit (in fact any road game would probably generate more income than a home game...call their AD, they might take a game for the comparatively paltry offer you would make. shoot, they'd probably make more money if you bought off your end and opted out).

Bottom line - as long as there are FBS schools willing to pay enticing amounts for sacrificial lambs, there are FCS schools willing to "opt out" of FCS obligations.

You can be angry.....it's OK, but to call anyone who'd take the money over the "wonderful opportunity" to play the "mighty Bison", pussies is ridiculous. I don't care how good you think you are...many FBS teams are better team than the Bison, some are the schools responsible for the FCS opt outs and are the teams played in your stead.

Grow-up.

So your AD really believes that the fans want to see Montana state get beat by another DII school at home, rather than play a quality FCS program on the road? An opponent that you signed a contract to play:confused: :confused:

It is about the money, and denying that is just plainxidiotx

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 08:58 AM
How do you figure? You and Ronbo are the ones trying to make the sad case that you are doing us a favor by not coming to Brookings because you would beat us senseless and trying to use past scores as proof. Pretty weak at best.

If you really believe that you are that good sack up, live up to your contract obligations, basically be men about it, and come to Brookings and play.

If not shut up and enjoy your games against the Montana School for wayword girls or whatever NAIA and D-II schools you can get to come to your stadium.

If you guys want to play "Big Time" that is fine start paying guarantees when you want one of us poor undeserving to come to Washington-Griz rather then enter into home and home deals that you have no intention of honoring.

As said before Montana has done nothing wrong from a contractual stand point, and if you guys want to hide behind that, well that is your choice, but I expected more from the "Mighty Griz". I am sure you will only do this once to SDSU.

Weak weak weak, you really should be embarrassed about your program. Is this the way that most folks do business in Montana? :nonono2:

Your athletic department reminds me of used car sales people. "Well it says here in the contract that once you drive it off the lot we are not responsible". :nono:

....... @ Cal Poly 2001 @ Hofstra 2002 @ Maine 2003 @ Sam Houston State 2004.....yup, we're always backing out:rolleyes: ....get your facts straight....the only reason we've backed out recently is because of our highly publicized deficit....please continue to bash the Griz xidiotx Oh and yeah....I'm very ashamed to be a Griz fan;)

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 09:06 AM
It is about the money

ding ding ding ding ding

Tailbone
January 9th, 2007, 09:30 AM

It is about the money, and denying that is just plain xidiotx

My point exactly.

Facilities -->recruiting advantage-->wins-->Butts in seats-->money-->facilities.............

The formula yields Big money (FBS) games + relatively easy (DivII) tune-up games + conference obligations (which you should win on the basis of better recruits) = first round play-off games ($) = 17 straight play-off appearances.

Plenty of opportunity to play marquee games in the play-offs.

The goals of every program (in every sport, at every level) are the same: make money, win conference, win in the play-offs. Why mess with a formula that has accomplished that 17 straight years?

The regular season, in every sport, is only a tool to get to the post season and earn home field advantage. Post season play is where you win the marbles, why wouldn't you leverage your scheduling options to line your pockets and make the play-offs? Any other course of action is stupid - any school not doing that should fire their AD as his goals are not to the benefit of the institution.

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2007, 09:32 AM

It could happen...
I wouldn't think we'd schedule any extra home games this year because of the construction. I thought we were looking to only play 4 at home this year. But I bet we'd be happy to start the home and home at someone else's house. :thumbsup:

slostang
January 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM
My point exactly.

Facilities -->recruiting advantage-->wins-->Butts in seats-->money-->facilities.............

The formula yields Big money (FBS) games + relatively easy (DivII) tune-up games + conference obligations (which you should win on the basis of better recruits) = first round play-off games ($) = 17 straight play-off appearances.

The goals of every program (in every sport, at every level) are the same: make money, win conference, win in the play-offs. Why mess with a formula that has accomplished that 17 straight years?

The regular season, in every sport, is only a tool to get to the post season and earn home field advantage. Post season play is where you win the marbles, why wouldn't you leverage your scheduling options to line your pockets and make the play-offs? Any other course of action is stupid - any school not doing that should fire their AD as his goals are not to the benefit of the institution.
I agree with everything above, but why not just pay I-AA teams coming to Wash/Griz a guarantee like you do with D-II teams instead of signing home and home when you know that you will not return the game? It would be a whole lot easier with a lot less bad blood.

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
My point exactly.

Nothing at all wrong with that. Get your BS payday game, fill up the OOC home schedule with D-II schools, and/or pay CS schools guarntees for OOC game. Then there are no return games to worry about.

What fans on this thread have a problem with is it looks like you are entering into home and home (or in our case a 2 for 1) contracts with no intention of honoring them just to get by on the cheap. That is just wrong.

For you apologists offering up excuses here is something simple for your athletics department to remember . . .

Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
"Never promise more than you can perform."

Tailbone
January 9th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Nothing at all wrong with that. Get your BS payday game, fill up the OOC home schedule with D-II schools, and/or pay CS schools guarntees for OOC game. Then there are no return games to worry about.

What fans on this thread have a problem with is it looks like you are entering into home and home (or in our case a 2 for 1) contracts with no intention of honoring them just to get by on the cheap. That is just wrong.

Perhaps the original intent was to honor the return obligation, but situations change, and the buy-out may have been required to "fix" a bigger problem (budget deficits, unplanned expense, ??).
Maybe both ADs knew the eventual outcome but the home/home deal allows one to save face. For some FCS schools, a guaranteed buy-out with no incumbent expenses might make better fiscal sense than a road trip .... it allows for another profitable home game in some cases.
Who knows what the reasons may be? I would hope most ADs aren't so naive as to be so easily duped. I suspect that the machinations of athletic departments is poorly (if at all) understood by most fans.

Look at the bigger picture. Montana has honored its end in the not-too-distant past, but recent circumstances have required a different (more profitable) approach to scheduling. I guarantee that Montana would not have gone to Iowa for less than 650K.....the UM would have lost money on the deal - as it is, there was an economic impact on local business (who are also part of the bigger picture).

For you apologists offering up excuses here is something simple for your athletics department to remember . . .

Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
"Never promise more than you can perform."

Abe would have understood. The terms of the contract are there for all to see. The school opting out (and paying the fee) has executed the terms of the contract, and performed no less than promised.
He might have wondered at the negotiating skills of some ADs, but there was no real dishonesty involved.

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I would hope most ADs aren't so naive as to be so easily duped.

Oh I get it. The problem isn't that you won't live up to your end of the deal, its that we were foolish enough to trust you. Now I understand. I am sure we won't make that mistake again. :nonono2:

I guess we are back to this guy.

Anyone interested in a home and home? Oh course you will need to come to Washington-Griz first.

Nice line:

but there was no real dishonesty involved.

Is that like "sort of pregnant"?

Tailbone
January 9th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Oh I get it. The problem isn't that you won't live up to your end of the deal, its that we were foolish enough to trust you. Now I understand. I am sure we won't make that mistake again. :nonono2:

Don't be obtuse.
I offered a number of possibilities.
The "naive" comment is to imply that a good AD has looked at the possibilities and agreed to terms based on some informed rationale.
It's only the fans that "get bent" because they choose to "get emotional" based on some criteria other than reality.
It's a self correcting system: If you don't like how the deal ends-up, you quit making those deals - if you don't mind, you get more of the same.
If you wish to suggest that your trust was violated, fine - you won't make that mistake again. To assume that changing circumstances won't necessitate exercising different terms of the contract is short-sighted....and yeah, naive.

The basis of all contracts is " a meeting of the minds" - an agreement in the terms of the contract.
If you (institution) feel you got screwed, it's because you screwed up.
Blaming others for your own screwups is what losers do.
I, for one, don't assume that your (or any) AD blindly agreed to the terms of a one-sided agreement. If they did, it's a mistake I hope they don't repeat.

Now quit whining about how you got "injured", If you feel you were "ripped-off" it's a problem of your own making.
Grow-up, man-up, and move-on!

Oh, and we did live up to "our end of the deal", you were compensated according to the terms of the contract....why don't you "get" that? :bang:

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I totally get it. Used car salesmen, read all the fine print. It is the letter of the contract not the spirit and intent. I understand.

Think of this thread as kind of like the Better Business Bureau. Just trying to help our unsuspecting FCS brothers.

Sorry if that offends you.

RabidRabbit
January 9th, 2007, 11:10 AM
My point exactly.

Yep - As contended in the POLY SCARING OFF THE BIG SKY thread, Montana is effectively (17 years of success :bow: ) buying their way into the play-offs and home field advantage. How? On the backs of fellow FCS schools that are getting started, and thought that the GRIZ and BOBCATS were HONORABLE schools, that would COMPLETE THE HOME-N-HOME. Instead they are chosing to NOT SHOW UP so that we (GWFC members) can showcase the fabulous GRIZ/BOBCATs to our home audiences.

WE'VE HONORED our part of the agreement. COME DOWN TO THE PLAINS and enjoy a game on our turf.

What appears REALLY SAD is the GWFC vs the Big SKY in 2004-2006 was 10 games at GWFC & 27 at BSC. There appears to be a directive to NOT PLAY the GWFC at their home fields in '07. I HAVE NOT HEARD OF A SINGLE GAME SCHEDULED BETWEEN THE GWFC & BSC at the GWFC site in '07. :confused: :confused: :confused: I have heard that:

Montana St. won't play in Fargo, but will play SUU at Bozeman. :bang: :bang:
Montana won't play in Brookings (after two games in Missoula), but was able to schedule SUU at home :bang: :bang:
Sac St., after 30 years of playing Cal Poly, won't go to SLO for a game :confused: :confused: :confused:
Montana pays Poly to play in Missoula in '06, rather than going to SLO.
Rumors are flying at UC-DAVIS that EWU wants game in Cheney where played in '05 (trying to buy out the back of a home/home?)
Portland St. :bow: :bow: congrats on playing UC-Davis in Davis in '05. Aggies got you on the the calendar for '07 in Portland.

Weber St. no Poly or SUU? How about Davis?
NAU - No games vs GWFC?
Idaho St. - :confused: :confused:
UNC - old conference mate?? Buddy? come up to the Dakotas or out to CA!

With 9 teams in the Big SKY, there are 8 games, leaving 3 games for OOC in a 11 game season. When you sign a home/home it's SUPPOSED TO MEAN COMMITTING to playing the AWAY GAME. Then you schedule to meet your needs KNOWING THAT YOU are playing AWAY for that game. YOU MAY :eek: :eek: ONLY GET 5 or (GASP) 4 home games. BUT plan on ALTERNATING 5 home one year, 6 home the next. COMMITTING TO 6 home ALWAYS should leave you without opponents in your division willing to be sacrificed, or if so, get $$$ for that priviledge.

Look forward to some good match-ups, but at HOME, not AWAY!

GOKATS
January 9th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Yep - As contended in the POLY SCARING OFF THE BIG SKY thread, Montana is effectively (17 years of success :bow: ) buying their way into the play-offs and home field advantage. How? On the backs of fellow FCS schools that are getting started, and thought that the GRIZ and BOBCATS were HONORABLE schools, that would COMPLETE THE HOME-N-HOME. Instead they are chosing to NOT SHOW UP so that we (GWFC members) can showcase the fabulous GRIZ/BOBCATs to our home audiences.

WE'VE HONORED our part of the agreement. COME DOWN TO THE PLAINS and enjoy a game on our turf.

What appears REALLY SAD is the GWFC vs the Big SKY in 2004-2006 was 10 games at GWFC & 27 at BSC. There appears to be a directive to NOT PLAY the GWFC at their home fields in '07. I HAVE NOT HEARD OF A SINGLE GAME SCHEDULED BETWEEN THE GWFC & BSC at the GWFC site in '07. :confused: :confused: :confused: I have heard that:

Montana won't play in Brookings (after two games in Missoula), but was able to schedule SUU at home :bang: :bang:
Sac St., after 30 years of playing Cal Poly, won't go to SLO for a game :confused: :confused: :confused:
Rumors are flying at UC-DAVIS that EWU wants game in Cheney where played in '05 (trying to buy out the back of a home/home?)
Portland St. :bow: :bow: congrats on playing UC-Davis in Davis in '05. Aggies got you on the the calendar for '07 in Portland.

NAU - No games vs GWFC?

With 9 teams in the Big SKY, there are 8 games, leaving 3 games for OOC in a 11 game season. When you sign a home/home it's SUPPOSED TO MEAN COMMITTING to playing the AWAY GAME. Then you schedule to meet your needs KNOWING THAT YOU are playing AWAY for that game. YOU MAY :eek: :eek: ONLY GET 5 or (GASP) 4 home games. BUT plan on ALTERNATING 5 home one year, 6 home the next. COMMITTING TO 6 home ALWAYS should leave you without opponents in your division willing to be sacrificed, or if so, get $$$ for that priviledge.

Growup.:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

xcoffeex

FargoBison
January 9th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Growup.:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

xcoffeex

He has every right to complain, his team played 4 fing home games last year and was probably looking forward to seeing a team like Montana come to Brookings. Montana fans deserve to listen to all whining and complaining SDSU and Cal Poly fans can dish out for the completely unacceptable scheduling practices that their school has.

I remember a few years ago when all the Big Sky people loved the fact that there was a new western conference in I-AA well I hope they are glad to know their schools killed the conference by not wanting to play games against GWFC teams at their facilities. You can go on and on about money but conferences like the Southland had no trouble playing GWFC teams both at home and on the road. Some of their teams even went to the GWFC stadium first :eek: :eek: :eek:

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2007, 11:50 AM

NAU - No games vs GWFC?

It sucks that you're a game short on the schedule, but you got paid what you agreed to in the contract. Your AD shouldn't have agreed to a buy-out if he didn't want to take the chance of it happening. FCS is a business too. :nono:

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM

NAU - No games vs GWFC?

I notice you've conveniently dodged my post.....@ Cal Poly 2001 @ Hofstra 2002 @ Maine 2003 @ Sam Houston State 2004..... all were the other end of a home and home....and btw this thread was about Montana STATE so go :bawling: somewhere else

saccat
January 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I have read through everything that was said and thought I would give
my 2 cents.

First off I don't think there is one TRUE Bobcat fan that likes the fact we are ducking the bison. No school wants that kind of stigma. But we have done well in keeping our end of the bargain in the past ( and getting KILLED by those teams). What everyone is missing is the fact that an Extra home game makes us more money than an extra road game. Again do I like it NO, but I would hope ( as was said in the article ) that next year we can go there and play. I understand why everyone is so Pissed off about this. It does not help when we claim we are the best confrence, but the scedule is now set.

We as Bobcat fans could be looking back in 8 months and saying " If only we would have played NDSU because we lost to an ##$%^&&# d-2 school AGAIN!!!"

Tailbone
January 9th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Yep - As contended in the POLY SCARING OFF THE BIG SKY thread, Montana is effectively (17 years of success :bow: ) buying their way into the play-offs and home field advantage. How? On the backs of fellow FCS schools that are getting started

How is this different than any other aspect of your life?
When applying for your first job, did you apply for the manager's position at McDonalds?

As newcomers, you have to pay your dues. Don't think it's any easier for Montana (even big dogs have fleas), Every game must make fiscal sense.
That means the Griz can't take on the FCS glamor games without some consequences - how do you tell your local business partners that, though you could have scheduled a home game (to their profit), you have decided to go on the road at their expense? Success means taking care of your partners....not the crybabies who want a piece of the only pie in our division. The only way the situation will change (for any of us) is for the profit formula to change. When we as fans get tired of seeing D2 opponents (and stop buying tickets) the formula will change.......until then, quit crying about the way things are (reality bites, but it is reality).

FargoBison
January 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I notice you've conveniently dodged my post.....@ Cal Poly 2001 @ Hofstra 2002 @ Maine 2003 @ Sam Houston State 2004..... all were the other end of a home and home....and btw this thread was about Montana STATE so go :bawling: somewhere else

Montana has bought out Cal Poly twice and SDSU after a 2 for 1, your AD has lost any credibility he got from honoring those past contracts back in 04 and years prior. I still don't understand how you don't honor a 2 for 1, really I don't even know how you can defend it. NDSU used to play pretty much every non-conference game at home back in DII but you know what we paid teams to come here instead of luring them in with some mythical return game.

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I remember a few years ago when all the Big Sky people loved the fact that there was a new western conference in I-AA well I hope they are glad to know their schools killed the conference by not wanting to play games against GWFC teams at their facilities. You can go on and on about money but conferences like the Southland had no trouble playing GWFC teams both at home and on the road. Some of their teams even went to the GWFC stadium first :eek: :eek: :eek:

How many of those teams were trying to recover from 1 million dollar budget deficit???

Yosef84
January 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM

SOLUTION: Honor your commitments with other schools and play well enough to get a home game in the playoffs! There you go! Problem solved...NEXT! :-)

FargoBison
January 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM
How many of those teams were trying to recover from 1 million dollar budget deficit???

I thought the deficit was paid off now? So if thats the case why buy out SDSU who helped Montana out by going to Missoula twice just to get one home game in return and did so at a time when Montana needed a home games more then ever. In case you didn't know SDSU had 4 home games last year and only one was against a I-AA team.

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Montana has bought out Cal Poly twice and SDSU after a 2 for 1, your AD has lost any credibility he got from honoring those past contracts back in 04 and years prior. I still don't understand how you don't honor a 2 for 1, really I don't even know how you can defend it. NDSU used to play pretty much every non-conference game at home back in DII but you know what we paid teams to come here instead of luring them in with some mythical return game.

My point is we honored our commitments until the school uncovered a nearly 1 million dollar athletics budget deficit how selfish to try and right the ship:rolleyes:

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I thought the deficit was paid off now? So if thats the case why buy out SDSU who helped Montana out by going to Missoula twice just to get one home game in return and did so at a time when Montana needed a home games more then ever. In case you didn't know SDSU had 4 home games last year and only one was against a I-AA team.

Amen, brother Bison! xsmileyclapx

Yosef84
January 9th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Im sorry, but I highly doubt we would ever consider doing a 2 for 1 with a FCS team. If it came to that, we would much rather schedule a BCS money game or bring in a lower FCS team for a guarentee game.

Unfortunately, once the reality of scheduling problems settle in, NDSU might consider of lot of things that it doesn't prefer. On the other hand, with the scheduling problems App is having lately, I doubt we would require a 2 for 1. A Home and Home would work for me. I think it would be a great matchup.

Greg

Go Bison
January 9th, 2007, 12:19 PM
My point is we honored our commitments until the school uncovered a nearly 1 million dollar athletics budget deficit how selfish to try and right the ship:rolleyes:

How did you get a deficit that was this high?

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 12:20 PM

It is selfish to try and balance the deficit that your athletic department created by screwing other schools. :nonono2:

Yosef84
January 9th, 2007, 12:20 PM

I think that would be a good matchup for a OOC game. I'm all for playing some quality FCS opponents.

Greg

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM
So if thats the case why buy out SDSU who helped Montana out by going to Missoula twice just to get one home game in return and did so at a time when Montana needed a home games more then ever. In case you didn't know SDSU had 4 home games last year and only one was against a I-AA team.

I'm not the AD....so I really can't answer that (as I've already noted, we honored our commitments prior to the deficit) .....and could somebody please provide an official link on the SDSU buyout

GOKATS
January 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
SOLUTION: Honor your commitments with other schools and play well enough to get a home game in the playoffs! There you go! Problem solved...NEXT! :-)

We had a home playoff game a few weeks ago.

FargoBison
January 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I'm not the AD....so I really can't answer that (as I've already noted, we honored our commitments prior to the deficit) .....and could somebody please provide an official link on the SDSU buyout

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/11/04/grizmania/griz-gameday/gday07.txt

As we look to 2007, the football schedule is almost complete. I can safely say that UM will host conference games Sept. 29 (Homecoming vs. Weber State), Oct. 6 (Eastern Washington), Oct. 20 (Northern Colorado) and Nov. 3 (Portland State). Also, the Griz will open the season at home Sept. 1 against Southern Utah and play Fort Lewis on Sept. 8 in Washington-Grizzly Stadium. With one game left to schedule, it will either take place on Sept. 15 or Sept. 22 - and could be either a home or guarantee game. The other weekend will then be open.

Yosef84
January 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I would hope UNI would like a home and home with ASU as well. After all, they had to score a defensive TD and only beat us by 5 points in Chatty!!:D :D :D

As I've already indicated to NDSU and Cal Poly fans, I love matchups with quality OOC opponents. UNI would be great for me, since I work for a company headquartered in Des Moines I have lots of UNI friends and co-workers.

Regarding Chatty in 2005, it was a great game. UNI was an excellent opponent and I'm not trying to detract from the game at all, but App was playing with a one legged QB, remember? It would have been interesting to see the matchup with a healthy Richie Williams.

Go APPS!
Greg

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 12:27 PM
It is selfish to try and balance the deficit that your athletic department created by screwing other schools. :nonono2:

Sure....you're right:rolleyes: please provide an accurate list of the schools we screwed prior to the deficit.....ummmm....let's see there was CP ooops didn't screw them.....oh wait there was Hofstra....oh yeah didn't screw them either.....oh hold on....there was Maine.....dangit.... wrong again....oh but what about SHSU....oh yeah....went there and played em:thumbsup:

WYOBISONMAN
January 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM
No one was screwed......a contract was not broken. The buyout was exercised. The lesson is this......be careful of cheap buyouts. Make the buyout hurt.

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Scheduling Griz football no easy beans - From the desk of the AD
By JIM O'DAY for the Missoulian

I'm often asked, “Who are we playing next year?” or, “Why don't we have a football schedule out yet? I'm trying to make plans.”

These are good questions, and demand some explanation. But as any athletic director will tell you, the scheduling process is becoming increasingly more difficult - and is far from an exact science. . . .

As we look to 2007, the football schedule is almost complete. I can safely say that UM will host conference games Sept. 29 (Homecoming vs. Weber State), Oct. 6 (Eastern Washington), Oct. 20 (Northern Colorado) and Nov. 3 (Portland State). Also, the Griz will open the season at home Sept. 1 against Southern Utah and play Fort Lewis on Sept. 8 in Washington-Grizzly Stadium. With one game left to schedule, it will either take place on Sept. 15 or Sept. 22 - and could be either a home or guarantee game. The other weekend will then be open. . . . (read more)

Here is the 2007 SDSU schedule that was listed in this year's media guide (page 69):

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Information/DataInstances/11146/Files/44397/Football_Media_Guide_06.pdf

Aug. 30 - at Western Illinois
Sept. 8 - TBA
Sept. 15 - Montana
Sept. 22 - Texas State
Sept. 29 - Stephen F. Austin
Oct. 6 - at Georgia Southern
Oct. 13 - TBA
Oct. 20 - Cal Poly
Oct. 27 - at UC Davis
Nov. 3 - at Central Arkansas
Nov.10 - Southern Utah
Nov. 17 - NDSU

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Scheduling Griz football no easy beans - From the desk of the AD
By JIM O'DAY for the Missoulian

I'm often asked, “Who are we playing next year?” or, “Why don't we have a football schedule out yet? I'm trying to make plans.”

These are good questions, and demand some explanation. But as any athletic director will tell you, the scheduling process is becoming increasingly more difficult - and is far from an exact science. . . .

As we look to 2007, the football schedule is almost complete. I can safely say that UM will host conference games Sept. 29 (Homecoming vs. Weber State), Oct. 6 (Eastern Washington), Oct. 20 (Northern Colorado) and Nov. 3 (Portland State). Also, the Griz will open the season at home Sept. 1 against Southern Utah and play Fort Lewis on Sept. 8 in Washington-Grizzly Stadium. With one game left to schedule, it will either take place on Sept. 15 or Sept. 22 - and could be either a home or guarantee game. The other weekend will then be open. . . . (read more)

Here is the 2007 SDSU schedule that was listed in this year's media guide (page 69):

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Information/DataInstances/11146/Files/44397/Football_Media_Guide_06.pdf

Aug. 30 - at Western Illinois
Sept. 8 - TBA
Sept. 15 - Montana
Sept. 22 - Texas State
Sept. 29 - Stephen F. Austin
Oct. 6 - at Georgia Southern
Oct. 13 - TBA
Oct. 20 - Cal Poly
Oct. 27 - at UC Davis
Nov. 3 - at Central Arkansas
Nov.10 - Southern Utah
Nov. 17 - NDSU

Thanks....I honestly hadn't seen anything about the SDSU game

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Sure....you're right:rolleyes: please provide an accurate list of the schools we screwed prior to the deficit.....ummmm....let's see there was CP ooops didn't screw them.....oh wait there was Hofstra....oh yeah didn't screw them either.....oh hold on....there was Maine.....dangit.... wrong again....oh but what about SHSU....oh yeah....went there and played em:thumbsup:

So because your athletic department created a deficit it then becomes ok to stop honoring your commitments. So you guys behave honorably when it is convenient.

Good to know.

P.S.

I too believe that I read that Montana retired their $1 million dollar deficit this year, so why no trip to Brookings in '07?

Yosef84
January 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM
We had a home playoff game a few weeks ago.

Yes, I know...and you beat Furman. Just a little light hearted solution to get your extra home games, Friend. In 2005, App only had 4 home games in the regular season, so I'm making the joke / comment out of experience.

No harm intended.

Go APPS!
Greg

saccat
January 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Is it just me or is everyone on here saying the same thing over and over again.

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM
So because your athletic department created a deficit it then becomes ok to stop honoring your commitments. So you guys behave honorably when it is convenient.

Good to know.

The deficit was partially created by honoring those commitments.....charters to Hofstra and Maine....just a couple of examples....so please come down off your pedestal now

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Is it just me or is everyone on here saying the same thing over and over again.
You have obviously failed to grasp the subtle nuances in each person's position. :cool:

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I too believe that I read that Montana retired their $1 million dollar deficit this year, so why no trip to Brookings in '07?

Due to the fact that I'm not the AD....I really can't answer that (as I already stated but my guess would be it's all about the $$$

GOKATS
January 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Yes, I know...and you beat Furman. Just a little light hearted solution to get your extra home games, Friend. In 2005, App only had 4 home games in the regular season, so I'm making the joke / comment out of experience.

No harm intended.

Go APPS!
Greg

And none was taken. I knew you were aware because we played App tough for three quarters the following weekend.

Go Cats!!

saccat
January 9th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Let me sum this up...

1. Are the Griz going to hold up there end of the bargain?
-NO

2. Are the CATS going to hold up there end of the bargain?
-Does not look like it.

3. Sould any AD trust that they are going to get A home and Home with the CATS or the griz?
-NO
4. Does this put UM and MSU in a bad light with other schools?
-YES

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 12:52 PM
The deficit was partially created by honoring those commitments.....charters to Hofstra and Maine....just a couple of examples....so please come down off your pedestal now

So now it is Hofstra and Maine's fault that you are honoring your commitments. This is getting funny. xlolx

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Due to the fact that I'm not the AD....I really can't answer that (as I already stated but my guess would be it's all about the $$$

So if we agree that the deficit is retired why did you bring it up in the first place? :eyebrow:

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Let me sum this up...

-NO

-Does not look like it.

3. Sould any AD trust that they are going to get A home and Home with the CATS or the griz?
-NO
-YES

That about does it. :thumbsup:

AZGrizFan
January 9th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Shut up? Without a :p . Has it come to that, rabbit? :rolleyes:

And yep, I'm real embarrassed. You make it sound like Montana and MSU are the ONLY TWO SCHOOLS EVER to do this. If your AD doesn't want to be bought out, don't sign a *****ing contract with a buyout clause. That's not hiding behind anything....that's called piss poor business. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You want to be pissed at somebody, go email your AD for signing that contract in the first place. xidiotx xidiotx

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM
So if we agree that the deficit is retired why did you bring it up in the first place? :eyebrow:

Because you tried to make it sound like the Griz have a long history of not being "honorable" ......bottom line....it is unfortunate for SDSU but this stuff happens all the time.....btw, UM did nothing wrong....money talks

AZGrizFan
January 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM
What appears REALLY SAD is the GWFC vs the Big SKY in 2004-2006 was 10 games at GWFC & 27 at BSC. There appears to be a directive to NOT PLAY the GWFC at their home fields in '07.

Rabbit, put down the tissues for a minute and think: Great West Fooball Conference --- 5 teams, which implies 55 games, which implies 26 home games/year. Big Sky Conference--- 9 teams, which implies 99 games, which implies 50 home games per hear. So this vaunted 10/27 DIRECTIVE, even if it were LEVEL, would still only be about 12/24 split, based on number of games available....

So, all this pissing and moaning over 2 lousy games? This suddenly has you up in arms about these evil Griz/Cats? Before you start using stats to back up your claims, you might want to use a little less emotion and a little more logic. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 01:10 PM
So now it is Hofstra and Maine's fault that you are honoring your commitments. This is getting funny. xlolx

It sure is getting funny.....you boldly stated that our athletic dept created the deficit.....and I couldn't agree more....it was created by honoring costly commitments

AZGrizFan
January 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Let me sum this up...

-NO

-Does not look like it.

-NO
-YES

Let me sum it up for those who can't read:

1) Did the Griz violate the terms of their contract? NO

2) Did the Cats violate the terms of their contract? NO

3) Should any AD sign a home/home with the Griz or Cats? Yes, just get the Home game first, or eliminate the buyout clause....real simple.

4) Does this put UM and MSU in a bad light? Only with those schools unable to understand contracts and finances, apparently. And only with those schools who somehow think that THEIR school would NEVER do such a thing, no matter WHAT the circumstances. Holier-than-thou :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 01:13 PM
The old saying goes fool me once sham on you, fool me twice shame on me. So I have no issue with our AD (if I did I could pick up the phone and talk to him about it).

You Griz fans have been offering up all kinds of excuses as to why what you did was ok. "Everybody else does it", "We had a dificit", "Your AD signed the deal", my favorite is "It is Hofstra and Maine's fault", you can keep throwing them out but it won't change the fact that . . .

Let me sum this up...

-NO

-Does not look like it.

-NO
-YES

AZGrizFan
January 9th, 2007, 01:15 PM
The old saying goes fool me once sham on you, fool me twice shame on me. So I have no issue with our AD (if I did I could pick up the phone and talk to him about it).

You Griz fans have been offering up all kinds of excuses as to why what you did was ok. "Everybody else does it", "We had a dificit", "Your AD signed the deal", my favorite is "It is Hofstra and Maine's fault", you can keep throwing them out but it won't change the fact that . . .

Your anger is misdirected, my long-eared friend. :read: :read: xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Your anger is misdirected, my long-eared friend. :read: :read: xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

My AD trusted your AD and your AD behaved in a less the honorable manner. Your AD did nothing technically wrong, so go ahead and hang your hats on that.

Again this thread is more about warning other schools how MU does business.

You can make a good deal with a used car salesmen as long as you know you are doing business with a used car salesmen.

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Are you mentally challenged.....Show me where I said it was Hofstra and Maine's fault....I'd love to see it....I said the deficit was partially created by very costly travel expenses and those just happened to be my two examples.....keep on tryin tho:thumbsup:

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Because you tried to make it sound like the Griz have a long history of not being "honorable" ......bottom line....it is unfortunate for SDSU but this stuff happens all the time.....

No I never said that the Griz have a long history of not being "honorable" it appears to be a recent history of not being "honorable". I guess we are in agreement. ;) xlolx

bison95
January 9th, 2007, 01:28 PM

My anger is directed towards those who made this mess, not fans. Our AD for only having a $10,000 buy out and not $50,000! To the Big Sky AD's who went into these contracts knowing that they would opt out. Live and learn.

89rabbit
January 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Are you mentally challenged.....Show me where I said it was Hofstra and Maine's fault....I'd love to see it....I said the deficit was partially created by very costly travel expenses and those just happened to be my two examples.....keep on tryin tho:thumbsup:

No I am quite bright. You claimed that because you had a deficit (that we have agreed has been retired) brought on partly by honoring agreements with Hofstra and Maine that you couldn't honor the agreement that you made with SDSU (even though the deficit no longer exists). So the logical conclusion for me was it was Hofstra and Maine's fault because no way it is Montana's fault.

I admit that may not have been your exact intent but it was funny none the less. :D

mlbowl
January 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
No I am quite bright. You claimed that because you had a deficit (that we have agreed has been retired) brought on partly by honoring agreements with Hofstra and Maine that you couldn't honor the agreement that you made with SDSU (even though the deficit no longer exists). So the logical conclusion for me was it was Hofstra and Maine's fault because no way it is Montana's fault.

I admit that may not have been your exact intent but it was funny none the less. :D

Once again....I never said the deficit was reason for not honoring the SDSU deal....I said that we honored all of our commitments prior to the deficit and travel expenses while honoring those commitments contributed to the deficit....I believe I agreed with you that our athletic dept was responsible;)

AZGrizFan
January 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM
My anger is directed towards those who made this mess, not fans. Our AD for only having a $10,000 buy out and not $50,000! To the Big Sky AD's who went into these contracts knowing that they would opt out. Live and learn.

Do you know that for a fact?

catbob
January 9th, 2007, 01:56 PM
First of all, blaming fans for this is obtuse. You know damn well that a majority of BSC fans would've rather had the Dakota schools join instead of NoCo, but that isn't what happened. And I am not foolish enough to think that this backlash and hostility doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you weren't given an invitation to the Sky.

Secondly, stop acting like we have a long history of doing this. 2002 @ SFA, 2003 @ Poly, 2005 @ Poly. This is the first time I have ever heard of us opting out of a contract, and while I am dissapointed in it from a fan standpoint, the businessman in me can't argue with the decision at all. I am logical enough and possess enough business savvy to empathize with our AD on this one. The contract negotiated clearly had a buyout option on it; so why so much anger when we utilize a part of the written contract? Next time draw up a contract that has no buyout clause on it if you are so worried that the diabolic Montana schools might have second thoughts. Or better yet, get your home game first and then buy us out - trust me the Bobcats don't have a hard time finding teams to come to Bozeman. Well get the money from your buyout and use it to bring in a cheap opponent. Bingo.

And finally I'd like to adress a few points on strength of schedule - the NCAA doesn't care if we play Montana School For Aspiring Nurses or if we play App State. Hell apparently it doesn't even care if we lose to MSFAN! We can continue to schedule DIIs or lower (even though we don't have a great record against them), and it won't be any different in the eyes of the selection committee. When you play in a conference as respected as the Big Sky (yes, the committee thinks we are a good conference, sorry to burst your bubble), and you finish your slate with 2-3 total losses (including the IA game), you are going to the playoffs. Who cares who your 8 wins were against; as long as at least 6 of them were conference wins, you're golden.

And for those of you complainin that we are only about the money, well you are right. As I mentioned before, college athletics is a business. This isn't grade school where everybody gets playing time and only parents show up to see games. There are plenty of paying fans, and paying boosters with a lot of influence, and you have to keep them happy. It costs us roughly 30-60k to bring in a DII school, which we can just divert out of the 450,000 payday we are going to receive against Texas A&M. You can sit there and say we replaced you with Dixie State, but finding another home game was in direct response to a game with A&M becoming available.

I was looking forward for a trip to Fargo, but it wasn't in the cards this year. If you want to continue trying to spread your propoganda about how evil the Big Sky is, be my guest. No ADs are going to listen.

bison95
January 9th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Do you know that for a fact?

Nope:D But it sure sounds good and makes me feel better. You see the more we (NDSU) can make the Montana schools look like the school up north, the more we will feel comfortable in FCS. (i don't think the school up north will successfully make the transition and the rivalary will be gone, thus we need to hate someone, so tag you're it:p )

Bobcat in NC
January 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM
My AD trusted your AD and your AD behaved in a less the honorable manner. Your AD did nothing technically wrong, so go ahead and hang your hats on that.

Again this thread is more about warning other schools how MU does business.

You can make a good deal with a used car salesmen as long as you know you are doing business with a used car salesmen.

First off, it's UM.

Secondly, no, that's not at all what this thread is about. The title of this thread actually says nothing at all about UM. It's about MSU opting out.

Finally, I'm still waiting for the brain trust out there to tell me exactly how many times MSU had bought out of the away end of a home and home contract. Y'all bitch and whine like MSU backs out of contracts every year, knowing full well that your institution would do the exact same thing for a $450k payday.

AZGrizFan
January 9th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Nope:D But it sure sounds good and makes me feel better. You see the more we (NDSU) can make the Montana schools look like the school up north, the more we will feel comfortable in FCS. (i don't think the school up north will successfully make the transition and the rivalary will be gone, thus we need to hate someone, so tag you're it:p )

Now THAT I can live with. Finally, some HONESTY in this thread!!! I've hated Nodak since I was knee high to a grasshopper! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :p

bison95
January 9th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Now THAT I can live with. Finally, some HONESTY in this thread!!! I've hated Nodak since I was knee high to a grasshopper! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :p

We have had a bad relationship with the school up north for so long, and now we no longer play, so we are yearning for our fix!

WYOBISONMAN
January 9th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I guess why I am so pissed is I won't get to see those cheerleaders from Montana. I hear they are a strange bunch............

http://www.ihash2006.com/images/sheep.bmp

AZGrizFan
January 9th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I guess why I am so pissed is I won't get to see those cheerleaders from Montana. I hear they are a strange bunch............

You have us confused with the panhandle state to the West.

Idaho---highest sheep per capita in the nation. :o :o :o

bison95
January 9th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Now it is offically smack!

bison95
January 9th, 2007, 03:00 PM
You have us confused with the panhandle state to the West.

Idaho---highest sheep per capita in the nation. :o :o :o
So do you call them Pimps?

RabidRabbit
January 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM

WYO!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

spelunker64
January 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM
'Ewe' are funny WYO!

FargoBison
January 9th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Why I love the Southland...

13 games played at GWFC venues
13 games played at Southland venues
Contracts bought out 0

Some Southland teams even played 5 home games :eek: :eek: or an even bigger shock they went to the stadium of the GWFC team first on a few occasions. I guess honoring a contract means something down south.

If you want the Big Sky breakdown here it is...

20 games at Big Sky venues
11 at GWFC venues
5 contracts bought out or dropped

As for no BS in the FS there is plenty of it in the BSC.

AZGrizFan
January 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Why I love the Southland...

13 games played at GWFC venues
13 games played at Southland venues
Contracts bought out 0

Some Southland teams even played 5 home games :eek: :eek: or an even bigger shock they went to the stadium of the GWFC team first on a few occasions. I guess honoring a contract means something down south.

If you want the Big Sky breakdown here it is...

20 games at Big Sky venues
11 at GWFC venues
5 contracts bought out or dropped

As for no BS in the FS there is plenty of it in the BSC.

At the risk of looking like I'm patting myself on the back, I refer back to the following post:

Rabbit, put down the tissues for a minute and think: Great West Fooball Conference --- 5 teams, which implies 55 games, which implies 26 home games/year. Big Sky Conference--- 9 teams, which implies 99 games, which implies 50 home games per hear. So this vaunted 10/27 DIRECTIVE, even if it were LEVEL, would still only be about 12/24 split, based on number of games available....

So, all this pissing and moaning over 2 lousy games? This suddenly has you up in arms about these evil Griz/Cats? Before you start using stats to back up your claims, you might want to use a little less emotion and a little more logic

Fargo, take a look at your #'s. If, in fact, the 5 games that have been bought out or dropped WERE played, the numbers, based on # of teams in conference, would be significantly skewed in favor of the GWFC, relative to the number of teams in each conference and total # of possible home games.

Mind you, I'm not sayin' it's right, and I'd love nothing more than for my beloved Griz to get their asses down to Cal Poly next year so I could get over and see them play, but it's not the big conspiracy everyone's (read: XDSU fans) making it out to be. Financially, things sucked for a while in Grizland, and they're just now getting their heads above water. If, in 2-3 years, they haven't swung that pendulum the other direction, I'll be standing right beside you....

nevadagriz
January 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM
many fans of both schools (msu and UM) agree that it sucks that the buyouts happened. However some of you(ndsu and sdsu fans) have just become whiny little b*tches about the whole deal. We fans have no control please drop it! I'm sorry that it happened geeeesh!:(
If you are going to bad mouth anyone make it the AD's don't bad mouth the university as a whole! I'm pretty sure our players don't care who they line up against!

lucchesicourt
January 9th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Yes, it is a business, but the success of ALL FCS teams is imperative for the survival of the FCS division, NOT just the Griz and Bobcats. The decisions your AD makes also affects OTHER schools and their success. These other schools are depending on every school to follow through on their contracts. If the success of Montana schools was all that mattered ,then I would agree with the MOntana schools. But, that is NOT the case. As for trying to sign a contract where the Montana schools take the road first, that obviously is not a contract your AD's would sign. Remove the buyout clause, and again an unsignable contract for the Montana schools (as well as many (I would say ALL, but that would not leave me an out), because as we all know sometimes you get an offer you cannot refuse.

No_Skill
January 9th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Shut up? Without a :p . Has it come to that, rabbit? :rolleyes:

And yep, I'm real embarrassed. You make it sound like Montana and MSU are the ONLY TWO SCHOOLS EVER to do this. If your AD doesn't want to be bought out, don't sign a *****ing contract with a buyout clause. That's not hiding behind anything....that's called piss poor business. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You want to be pissed at somebody, go email your AD for signing that contract in the first place. xidiotx xidiotx

When that contract was written how much "hand" do you think NDSU (or SDSU with Montana) had? NONE...we had no "hand". We were the new kids on the block and the Montana schools are respected schools with plenty of history. Do you think our AD set the price at 10 large?...hell no. He had to take what he could get.

Fast forward to today. Lesson learned. Future buy outs will be large. We are the program schools should want on their schedules. We don't NEED to play the Montana schools. Move on. Let's play App.

AggiePride
January 9th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Wow, long day here in this thread...

The state of ND is still pissed and the state of Monata is still yeller and full of excuses.

If I hear another whiney response about "money" or the precious 6 must have home games I am gonna puke. Try out a 15,000 mile season or 4 home game season and then I might care.

Ronbo
January 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I could care less who they schedule as long as it's a home game. We fans, 24,000 who attend games want at least 6 home games and the University gives that to us. We'll play Fort Lewis, S. Utah, or the Minn. Academy of the Deaf if we have to. It's still 600K in the bank cause we sell them all out at $26 bucks a seat. And the teams we visit have their biggest attendance of the year. PSU set their all time record last year against us.

AggiePride
January 9th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I could care less who they schedule as long as it's a home game. We fans, 24,000 who attend games want at least 6 home games and the University gives that to us. We'll play Fort Lewis, S. Utah, or the Minn. Academy of the Deaf if we have to. It's still 600K in the bank cause we sell them all out at $26 bucks a seat. And the teams we visit have their biggest attendance of the year. PSU set their all time record last year against us.

A perfect, and honest Montana answer with the usual ego stroking.

money > competition, even the fans agree.

GOKATS
January 9th, 2007, 09:51 PM

I just have to ask........since most of what you espouse is pure *****, do you wear a bib, Depends, or both? :confused:

Tailbone
January 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Yes, it is a business, but the success of ALL FCS teams is imperative for the survival of the FCS division, NOT just the Griz and Bobcats. The decisions your AD makes also affects OTHER schools and their success. ........

Who do you suppose supports the sacred play-offs.......and where do you suppose the filthy lucre comes from?

So, if I promise a return visit or 10k in exchange for a visit to my house, then after performing simple math (500k-10k=490k), opt to give you the 10k, you get bent? Be insulted all you want but I doubt if you'd be stupid enough to pass on the 490k (not to mention the benefit to your local economy) and if the situation were reversed you'd do the same (and would probably feel no remorse). If you were to be upset because I paid the promised amount of cash for my absence.........well, it's you that have the problem. If, because you made a bad bargain, you no longer wish to avail yourself of our hospitality (and boost to your RPI) - fine.
There are plenty of other schools who would jump at the chance to play here. As for not just offering a payout....maybe your AD wanted the game, but didn't wish to appear as if he were looking for a handout (it allows him to "save face").

Tailbone
January 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I just have to ask........since most of what you espouse is pure *****, do you wear a bib, Depends, or both? :confused:

It may be unpleasant, but it's certainly not *****.
It's reality, however distasteful you find it.

mlbowl
January 10th, 2007, 07:51 AM
So, if I promise a return visit or 10k in exchange for a visit to my house, then after performing simple math (500k-10k=490k), opt to give you the 10k, you get bent? Be insulted all you want but I doubt if you'd be stupid enough to pass on the 490k (not to mention the benefit to your local economy) and if the situation were reversed you'd do the same (and would probably feel no remorse). If you were to be upset because I paid the promised amount of cash for my absence.........well, it's you that have the problem. If, because you made a bad bargain, you no longer wish to avail yourself of our hospitality (and boost to your RPI) - fine.
There are plenty of other schools who would jump at the chance to play here. As for not just offering a payout....maybe your AD wanted the game, but didn't wish to appear as if he were looking for a handout (it allows him to "save face").

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Go Bison
January 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM
This was in the Forum today.

Montana State athletic director Peter Fields, whose school canceled a football game at NDSU next fall, told the Associated Press the Bobcats will eventually make it to Fargo. “We’re not going to play the game this year, but we will play the game,” he said.

Montana State has made it known that they play a money game away, an OOC game at home, and a DII game at home and then the Big Sky conference schedule. When would they fit this game in? I can only see it if there are 12 games played.

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Montana State athletic director Peter Fields, whose school canceled a football game at NDSU next fall, told the Associated Press the Bobcats will eventually make it to Fargo. “We’re not going to play the game this year, but we will play the game,” he said.

Montana State has made it known that they play a money game away, an OOC game at home, and a DII game at home and then the Big Sky conference schedule. When would they fit this game in? I can only see it if there are 12 games played.

Like I said, let's see if things have settled down a bit in 2-3 years. If not, I'll be right there beside you, bitching. :thumbsup:

lucchesicourt
January 10th, 2007, 08:10 AM
TAILBONE,

If you read my previous post that says if you schedule a Montana school just don't expect them to follow through and play a road game at your place. If you schedule a Montana school, it IS ONLY about the money, and the contract will be bought out if they find a more lucratuve deal. I am not saying it is illegal or wrong, only saying a fact. If you schedule a Montana school, do NOT EXPECT a return visit. If you do, you will probably be disappointed.
Another fact, a $10,000 buyout does affect the finances of the other school in a negative way, if they cannot find a replacement game, as they would make more money from attendance than that just like you claim you do.

Go Bison
January 10th, 2007, 08:24 AM
TAILBONE,

If you read my previous post that says if you schedule a Montana school just don't expect them to follow through and play a road game at your place. If you schedule a Montana school, it IS ONLY about the money, and the contract will be bought out if they find a more lucratuve deal. I am not saying it is illegal or wrong, only saying a fact. If you schedule a Montana school, do NOT EXPECT a return visit. If you do, you will probably be disappointed.
Another fact, a $10,000 buyout does affect the finances of the other school in a negative way, if they cannot find a replacement game, as they would make more money from attendance than that just like you claim you do.

If a Montana school won't do a return game, then why do they sign and home and home agreement? They should just sign a guarantee game with the payout. Instead they disguise it by signing a home and home but then they buyout that agreement after they get the home game. Pretty sneaky.

Bobcat in NC
January 10th, 2007, 08:35 AM
A perfect, and honest Montana answer with the usual ego stroking.

money > competition, even the fans agree.

Seriously, are you kidding with this attitude? Coupled with your "yeller" comment (behind the safety net of an anonymous message board), you're making yourself look like more and more of an idiot.

I'll tell you what, take a trip to Bozeman or Missoula from the hardass streets of SoCal and bring your mouth with you. First off, you don't have a dog in the fight, so you should stay out of it. Second, you should enlighten us with how many times Davis has lost out on their half of a home and home with one of the Montana schools. Finally, you should probably win a national title or two before talking about how 2 other schools with 4 national titles between them (arguably 5, if you go back far enough) don't want competition.

You can spout off all you want about money being an excuse, but you should probably educate yourself on what you're talking about before sharing your brilliance with all of us. The simple fact is that both MSU and UM are small schools (combined, they have a smaller student body than Davis) that are located in a state nearly the size of California which has less total population than you can find within 25 miles of Davis. For schools facing the types of challenges financially that they do, both MSU and UM benefit greatly from the types of payouts that BCS schools offer. Additionally, a home football game is of such great importance to the local economy. The impact is felt far beyond the ticket sales.

To our friends at NDSU & SDSU: I'm sorry that the contracts are being bought out. I really am. I know that you're in the same small-state boat as the Montana schools. I was actually looking forward to a trip to the FargoDome so I could see what all the fuss is about. I'd like to ask the question again, though: How many times has MSU bought out of a game? I can say with some confidence that the buyout was never the intent of the University or the athletic department.

At the time of the home-and-home signing, I don't think that the impact of the UNC addition to the Big Sky was completely appreciated. This addition leaves every team in the conference with 3 games available each year. At least one of those is going to be a money game (don't lie and say that you'd take an OOC I-AA road game over a $450k trip to the largest football stadium in the state of Texas). Then, you're left with a choice: Either schedule one home game and one road game or schedule 2 home games. I think that all of us would agree; we would want to see our school schedule 2 home games. Period. That's what MSU is doing. Yes, it's greedy. Yes, your school would do the exact same thing if they could. Yes, eventually the tables will turn (they always do).

I really hope that the Cats see the Bison and/or the Jackrabbits again in the near future. And I hope the game's in your place (mainly so we don't have to listen to the whining anymore - not from all of you, just from the vocal few).

WYOBISONMAN
January 10th, 2007, 09:02 AM

That seems to me to be a honest and straight comment from MSU......

Tailbone
January 10th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I wonder, if eligible to vote, how the Dakota ADs would have voted on the 12th game. I'm sure they are aware of the realities of FCS football scheduling (economics). xcoffeex

Tailbone
January 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM
TAILBONE,

..... If you schedule a Montana school, it IS ONLY about the money,

Speculation. But the money is (and has to be) important.

....the contract will be bought out if they find a more lucratuve deal.

Sounds like good business to me. To neglect consideration of the other party's (or your own) self-interest in any negotiation is folly. People ALWAYS do what's in there own best interest (though the exact motivation may not be readily apparent), It's human nature - If you don't like it, go to church and pray for change.
A simple rule of negotiation: if you offer alternatives, be sure you can live with (benefit from) either.

.....Another fact, a $10,000 buyout does affect the finances of the other school in a negative way, if they cannot find a replacement game, as they would make more money from attendance than that just like you claim you do.

Not necessarily a negative impact and more likely a positive impact as all you have to do is schedule a lower division team (who will come for the money), line your pockets with the receipts from the home game, and consider the buy-out as gravy. It's 10k you wouldn't otherwise have.
In fact, it might be good business to schedule as many buy-outs as you can as you will then be able to acquire more home games...and finance them with buy-out money.

bison95
January 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Speculation. But the money is (and has to be) important.

Sounds like good business to me. To neglect consideration of the other party's (or your own) self-interest in any negotiation is folly. People ALWAYS do what's in there own best interest (though the exact motivation may not be readily apparent), It's human nature - If you don't like it, go to church and pray for change.
A simple rule of negotiation: if you offer alternatives, be sure you can live with (benefit from) either.

Not necessarily a negative impact and more likely a positive impact as all you have to do is schedule a lower division team (who will come for the money), line your pockets with the receipts from the home game, and consider the buy-out as gravy. It's 10k you wouldn't otherwise have.
In fact, it might be good business to schedule as many buy-outs as you can as you will then be able to acquire more home games...and finance them with buy-out money.

xidiotx :nonono2: DII team will bring 13,000 fan to the dome+ $10,000 from the buy out! Montana State brings 19,500 to the dome! In the end NDSU loses money. Fans here don't have such a hard on for the team that they want to see them blow out a lesser opponent. The opposite is true, they want to see a great football game! Win or Lose:rolleyes: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Tailbone
January 10th, 2007, 10:17 AM

xidiotx :nonono2: DII team will bring 13,000 fan to the dome+ $10,000 from the buy out! Montana State brings 19,500 to the dome! In the end NDSU loses money. Fans here don't have such a hard on for the team that they want to see them blow out a lesser opponent. The opposite is true, they want to see a great football game! Win or Lose:rolleyes: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

A full third of Bison fans are fair weather fans ????
Must suck to be a Bison football player.
....And aren't we arrogant...how many years ago was it that you were D-II? There are some good D-II teams, upsets aren't all that anomalous.
If your fans can't appreciate a good football game (against whomever), they deserve what they get.

Here's a thought, schedule D-II UND. That should fill the seats....especially if you can be assured that it is a "blow-out".

....Or, an accusation in the same vein Bison fans are so fond of,.....are you afraid to play UND?

Ronbo
January 10th, 2007, 10:30 AM
The sports networks, especially Fox and ESPN are calling the Boise State Fiesta Bowl victory "The Game of the Century" and "The Greatest College Football Game Ever Played."

Enough said

Bison05
January 10th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Bison95, the only way that we would only get 13K fans to any game the Bison played (including a DII game) is if it was played during deer hunting season. Although I also think that its terrible that MSU backed out of the game. I dont see the sense in continuously complainning about it.

bison95
January 10th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Bison95, the only way that we would only get 13K fans to any game the Bison played (including a DII game) is if it was played during deer hunting season. Although I also think that its terrible that MSU backed out of the game. I dont see the sense in continuously complainning about it.

So you believe the dome would be 1000 less in attendance for a DII game than for montana st? That would cover the buyout, just trying to figure out the logic

bison95
January 10th, 2007, 10:49 AM
A full third of Bison fans are fair weather fans ????
Must suck to be a Bison football player.
....And aren't we arrogant...how many years ago was it that you were D-II? There are some good D-II teams, upsets aren't all that anomalous.
If your fans can't appreciate a good football game (against whomever), they deserve what they get.

Here's a thought, schedule D-II UND. That should fill the seats....especially if you can be assured that it is a "blow-out".

....Or, an accusation in the same vein Bison fans are so fond of,.....are you afraid to play UND?

People will come to see a Known quality opponent for anything. Last night mens basketball 1,600 + or - for Vally City State. last monthe 6,000 + for Kansas State. That is just the way it is. Why does anyone want to see a 50 point blow out. :confused: :confused: :confused:

AggiePride
January 10th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Seriously, are you kidding with this attitude? Coupled with your "yeller" comment (behind the safety net of an anonymous message board), you're making yourself look like more and more of an idiot.

I'll tell you what, take a trip to Bozeman or Missoula from the hardass streets of SoCal and bring your mouth with you. First off, you don't have a dog in the fight, so you should stay out of it. Second, you should enlighten us with how many times Davis has lost out on their half of a home and home with one of the Montana schools. Finally, you should probably win a national title or two before talking about how 2 other schools with 4 national titles between them (arguably 5, if you go back far enough) don't want competition.

You can spout off all you want about money being an excuse, but you should probably educate yourself on what you're talking about before sharing your brilliance with all of us. The simple fact is that both MSU and UM are small schools (combined, they have a smaller student body than Davis) that are located in a state nearly the size of California which has less total population than you can find within 25 miles of Davis. For schools facing the types of challenges financially that they do, both MSU and UM benefit greatly from the types of payouts that BCS schools offer. Additionally, a home football game is of such great importance to the local economy. The impact is felt far beyond the ticket sales.

To our friends at NDSU & SDSU: I'm sorry that the contracts are being bought out. I really am. I know that you're in the same small-state boat as the Montana schools. I was actually looking forward to a trip to the FargoDome so I could see what all the fuss is about. I'd like to ask the question again, though: How many times has MSU bought out of a game? I can say with some confidence that the buyout was never the intent of the University or the athletic department.

At the time of the home-and-home signing, I don't think that the impact of the UNC addition to the Big Sky was completely appreciated. This addition leaves every team in the conference with 3 games available each year. At least one of those is going to be a money game (don't lie and say that you'd take an OOC I-AA road game over a $450k trip to the largest football stadium in the state of Texas). Then, you're left with a choice: Either schedule one home game and one road game or schedule 2 home games. I think that all of us would agree; we would want to see our school schedule 2 home games. Period. That's what MSU is doing. Yes, it's greedy. Yes, your school would do the exact same thing if they could. Yes, eventually the tables will turn (they always do).

I really hope that the Cats see the Bison and/or the Jackrabbits again in the near future. And I hope the game's in your place (mainly so we don't have to listen to the whining anymore - not from all of you, just from the vocal few).

We brought it to Cats this year to the tune of 45 - 0 in Bozeman. :rolleyes:

I'll let my team do the "talking", keyboard warrior.

And yes I do have a dog in the fight. As a whole, the GWFC is having a very hard time scheduling quality competition (something we all seem to hold in high regard), in no small part to teams like the Montana state prancing around in their ruby slippers.

We all have a huge OOC scheduling burden, one that took Davis 15,000 miles on the road last year, all because we refuse to sacrifice competition.

You're talking about extra money from your preciouis 6th home game and were travelling across the nation and racking up huge bills to play teams like YSU and UNH. Your financial excuses fall on deaf ears.

Col Hogan
January 10th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Been reading this thread from afar with some interest (learning more about how FCS (1AA) football works around the country.

If there is an award for Circular Logic/Arguement, This thread has to be nominated. All sides (there seem to be more than two) keep rehashing the same stuff, addiing a dash of smack and a touch of crap. I think everyone needs to move along (or will this thread go all winter long?)

Just my :twocents: from back east.

Love ya all.

lizrdgizrd
January 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Been reading this thread from afar with some interest (learning more about how FCS (1AA) football works around the country.

If there is an award for Circular Logic/Arguement, This thread has to be nominated. All sides (there seem to be more than two) keep rehashing the same stuff, addiing a dash of smack and a touch of crap. I think everyone needs to move along (or will this thread go all winter long?)

Just my :twocents: from back east.

Love ya all.
I keep wondering when they'll start copying posts from earlier in the thread just to keep the argument going.

Col Hogan
January 10th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I keep wondering when they'll start copying posts from earlier in the thread just to keep the argument going.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

No_Skill
January 10th, 2007, 12:43 PM
If a Montana school won't do a return game, then why do they sign and home and home agreement? They should just sign a guarantee game with the payout. Instead they disguise it by signing a home and home but then they buyout that agreement after they get the home game. Pretty sneaky.

Any of the Montana/Montana St. fans have a good answer to this?

No_Skill
January 10th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I wonder, if eligible to vote, how the Dakota ADs would have voted on the 12th game. I'm sure they are aware of the realities of FCS football scheduling (economics). xcoffeex

I believe I read that our AD Gene Taylor would have voted no, if given the chance.

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Yes. It's because the conspiracy theorists believe the contracts were signed knowing FULL WELL the return game wouldn't be played. I call BS. Situations change, they're fluid, and current economics demand a buyout. There's no evil backroom finagling going on when the contract is signed.

JALMOND
January 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM
One study we should do, has a Big Sky team ever beat a Great West team at home? I know NDSU played Weber State and the score was 45-0 NDSU. No other Big Sky team has come to NDSU that I can think of.

Came back to this thread late so I am leafing through all 19 pages. This question, Portland State has played (and beaten) Davis two years ago in Davis 14-12 the week before Davis beat Stanford.

Bobcat in NC
January 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM

And yes I do have a dog in the fight. As a whole, the GWFC is having a very hard time scheduling quality competition (something we all seem to hold in high regard), in no small part to teams like the Montana state prancing around in their ruby slippers.

We all have a huge OOC scheduling burden, one that took Davis 15,000 miles on the road last year, all because we refuse to sacrifice competition.

You're talking about extra money from your preciouis 6th home game and were travelling across the nation and racking up huge bills to play teams like YSU and UNH. Your financial excuses fall on deaf ears.

For someone letting their team do the talking, you sure have a lot to say. So, you racked up a huge bill travelling to UNH last year? Did your team know about the game? I ask because I don't remember that phantom game. I also don't see mention of it on either the Davis or UNH athletics websites. Must have been a doozy.

There's no doubt that Davis absolutely rolled the Cats this past year. I'm also not arguing the fact that Davis (and the rest of the Great West) is right up there with the I-AA elite. What I have a problem with is the fact that MSU buys out of ONE game and suddenly they're elitist or afraid of competition. This comes one year after MSU's OOC schedule was Oklahoma State, SFA, NDSU and Cal Poly.

My specific point was that it's nice and safe to sit in Southern California and make "ruby slippers" wisecracks, but that I couldn't see you (or anyone) making such nasty comments to someone in person. I have a fantastic idea: hop on a plane to Bozeman, take your sweet Ford Focus rental to Montana State University and ask to speak with a gentleman named Mike Kramer. Upon meeting Mr. Kramer, introduce yourself and state "I think that everyone from Montana is cowards and that Montana State University prances around in ruby slippers." Let me know how that goes... Then, I'd like you to drive the aforementioned awesome rental to Missoula and make the same comments (substituting some venom about the University of Montana) to Bobby Hauck.

What I'm also taking issue with is that someone feels the need to call out an entire fanbase (actually two, including the rest of the citizens of a state) for being "yeller" when (A) he would never have the courage to make such a comment to the fans of that team in person and (B) said fans had absolutely nothing do do with the contract buyout. You make comments like "keyboard warrior" in response to someone calling you out on the unwarranted BS you post here. Grow up.

As SOOOOO many have said before me: If you have a problem with what has happened, express your frustration to someone who can do something about it. Call MSU's athletic department and tell them to start going on the road for their OOC games. Call the AD at Davis and tell them to never schedule MSU unless it's a home game. Beating on other fans does absolutely no good. All you're currently doing is whining to a group of people who are just as irritated as you with the situation. Rivalry games are fantastic (and MSU/UM know a little bit about rivalry games) and I would love nothing better than to get an annual (or every other year) rivalry going with NDSU. The simple fact is that, now that MSU is in a 9-team conference, it makes OOC games more and more difficult to do without moving to a 12 game schedule. MSU is doing what any team would want to do, committing themselves to as many games as possible in front of the people (besides BCS schools) who pay the bills - their fans.

Simple question: Would you (whichever team you cheer for) rather have 5 or 6 home games in a season?

Bobcat in NC
January 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM

In all honesty, no. I really don't think that the intent was to screw NDSU (at least I hope not). The fact is, when the deal was originally signed, the Big Sky was an 8-team conference, which meant 7 conference games and 4 OOC games. I would think it would make sense to have 2 of those OOC games be on the road and 2 at home, but that they could to go 3 at home / 1 on the road for the years where they only had 3 conference home games. That way, they'd have 6 home games every year. Having a NDSU road game would fit because they'd have 2 home games to make up for it (assuming that the other OOC road game is a bodybag game). I think that the addition of UNC to the Big Sky undid that entire plan.

Should MSU have anticipated the addition of UNC to the Big Sky (and what that would do to the schedule) and warned NDSU that this might happen? Yes. Of course, maybe they did. No one here knows for sure.

The whole idea that this is some sort of a consipracy against NDSU or the GWFC is pretty laughable, though. I'm quite certain that almost everyone at MSU would love to see this game on a regular basis. We need an excuse to break out all the old North Dakotan jokes from second grade. ;)

ucdtim17
January 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I'd rather have a 5 game home schedule every other year and play home and homes with legitimate I-AA teams than have six homes games every year with a D2 or NAIA. No doubt about it.

As for Davis getting bought out, EWU bought out their second year of a four year deal this year. Davis will be going back up to Cheney in '07. I think everyone anticipates UM buying out of our end of the home and home in '08/'09 but hopefully the athletic department is on top of that and doing what they can to prevent it.

And whether or not we would say this to your face or not? You sound like Jay and Silent Bob - it's the internet - it's not real life

AggiePride
January 10th, 2007, 01:35 PM
For someone letting their team do the talking, you sure have a lot to say. So, you racked up a huge bill travelling to UNH last year? Did your team know about the game? I ask because I don't remember that phantom game. I also don't see mention of it on either the Davis or UNH athletics websites. Must have been a doozy.

There's no doubt that Davis absolutely rolled the Cats this past year. I'm also not arguing the fact that Davis (and the rest of the Great West) is right up there with the I-AA elite. What I have a problem with is the fact that MSU buys out of ONE game and suddenly they're elitist or afraid of competition. This comes one year after MSU's OOC schedule was Oklahoma State, SFA, NDSU and Cal Poly.

My specific point was that it's nice and safe to sit in Southern California and make "ruby slippers" wisecracks, but that I couldn't see you (or anyone) making such nasty comments to someone in person. I have a fantastic idea: hop on a plane to Bozeman, take your sweet Ford Focus rental to Montana State University and ask to speak with a gentleman named Mike Kramer. Upon meeting Mr. Kramer, introduce yourself and state "I think that everyone from Montana is cowards and that Montana State University prances around in ruby slippers." Let me know how that goes... Then, I'd like you to drive the aforementioned awesome rental to Missoula and make the same comments (substituting some venom about the University of Montana) to Bobby Hauck

What I'm also taking issue with is that someone feels the need to call out an entire fanbase (actually two, including the rest of the citizens of a state) for being "yeller" when (A) he would never have the courage to make such a comment to the fans of that team in person. and (B) said fans had absolutely nothing do do with the contract buyout. You make comments like "keyboard warrior" in response to someone calling you out on the unwarranted BS you post here. Grow up.

As SOOOOO many have said before me: If you have a problem with what has happened, express your frustration to someone who can do something about it. Call MSU's athletic department and tell them to start going on the road for their OOC games. Call the AD at Davis and tell them to never schedule MSU unless it's a home game. Beating on other fans does absolutely no good. All you're currently doing is whining to a group of people who are just as irritated as you with the situation. Rivalry games are fantastic (and MSU/UM know a little bit about rivalry games) and I would love nothing better than to get an annual (or every other year) rivalry going with NDSU. The simple fact is that, now that MSU is in a 9-team conference, it makes OOC games more and more difficult to do without moving to a 12 game schedule. MSU is doing what any team would want to do, committing themselves to as many games as possible in front of the people (besides BCS schools) who pay the bills - their fans.

Simple question: Would you (whichever team you cheer for) rather have 5 or 6 home games in a season?

How this has anything to do with my point is beyond me, tough guy.

Your big "specific point" is "we are real mean super uber tough truck driving flanel wearing SOB's here in Montana and if you say one bad thing about us to any of our faces, we will kick your A$$ you Ford Focus driving CA sissy".

Real intelligent addition to any discussion, tough guy. The "say it to his face" argument really shows that you have a solid point. The sterotypes are just icing on your tough guy cake, macho man.

Oh and BTW, I would take 5 games if I were forced to watch Dixie State at home in lue of a competitive game with another top FCS conference team (just the CA sissy talking, sorry). But then, Chadron whooped up on you at home, so it might be a good game.

JALMOND
January 10th, 2007, 01:37 PM

All time FCS record. The figure dwarfs in comparison to some of our DII home playoff games. It shows that Portland will support the Vikings when we play a great opponent.

JALMOND
January 10th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Umm, Davis left the "hardass streets" of NoCal to go to Bozeman and beat the Cats 45-0 this year. I wonder if he "brought his mouth" with him.

All the smack that Portland State took for scheduling three money games, I'm glad to see and realize now that the Cats and Griz do the same thing. Some year, they should try to play only four home games, but I doubt that would happen.

JALMOND
January 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM

This whole thread is becoming clear, I think. Back when NDSU and SDSU were applying for FCS status and admission into the Big Sky, the conference denied them from joining, taking instead N Colorado. Both Portland State and Sacramento State were named as the reasons for the Bison and Rabbits being excluded from membership, which I still argue was far from the truth. PSU and Sac State will play a home and home and honor the commitments from the Great West. PSU has restarted their series with Davis, Davis has a long rivalry with Sac State and it was Cal Poly, not Sac State that ended that series this year. It also was pointed out back then that the Cats and Griz welcomed the opportunity to play NDSU and SDSU and wanted them in the conference, yet now they will not return the home game to the Great West teams. Therfore, it seems to me that this all supports my argument, that instead of PSU and Sac State refusing NDSU and SDSU Big Sky membership, it was actually Montana and Montana State who kept them out.

catbob
January 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM

And yet you even found enough money to build a brand new stadium... hmmm where does that money come from? It may come as a shock to you, but a majority of I-AA schools lose money on football, or barely break even. We are/were (not sure) still paying off our last stadium renovation, and are currently in a financial campaign for an indoor practice facility and new skyboxes. Kramer is a big advocate for sprintturf as well, and that is on the agenda in the next decade or so as well. Would I rather have new skyboxes or travel to Georgia Southern? I choose skyboxes.

I find it funny how we buyout one game and suddenly it is a foregone conclusion that any home-and-home with MSU is going to be bought out. PLEASE. Don't be so naive, folks. If this happens a few more times, then I will agree with you and write the AD myself. But I will allow this one, especially since we desperately need the money.

As for Davis getting bought out, EWU bought out their second year of a four year deal this year. Davis will be going back up to Cheney in '07. I think everyone anticipates UM buying out of our end of the home and home in '08/'09 but hopefully the athletic department is on top of that and doing what they can to prevent it.

Then please, start a thread bashing EWU, their fanbase and their AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Bison

Yes. I answered it above. This is the first contract we have ever bought out. But I guess you are right, every home-and-home we've agreed to in the last 20 years, we have always refused the return game.

JALMOND
January 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM
If this is the first contract that MSU bought out, it sets a scary precedent. Both Montana and Montana State are in the same university system and this shows (directly or indirectly) that the Cats MIGHT be starting to do things like the Griz (perish the thought). Portland State bought out our game with McNeese last year, yet we made arrangements to start this year at Lake Charles. I guess what is scary is that MSU has not come out and said when the NDSU game will be scheduled, just an ambiguous statement of "it will be played". If this is an exception, then I am with Catbob and can let it go. But I would be concerned if this becomes the norm.

RabidRabbit
January 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM
In either 2008 or 2009, there is a 13 saturday period between Labor Day weekend and Thanksgiving. Therefore 12 games should be on the agenda.

Montana & Montana St. should be scheduling the XDSU's at their I-29 homes for that year. THAT "rescheduling" would indicate that Griz & 'Cats are serious about getting in their respective trips, just deferred.

The issue is a strong appearance of avoiding returning home games.

And in '07 that appearance is GLARING! :bang:

But Griz/Cats we do want to play ya! :hurray: Just do a few to please our home crowds too! :nod:

Bobcat in NC
January 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
How this has anything to do with my point is beyond me, tough guy.

Your big "specific point" is "we are real mean super uber tough truck driving flanel wearing SOB's here in Montana and if you say one bad thing about us to any of our faces, we will kick your A$$ you Ford Focus driving CA sissy".

Real intelligent addition to any discussion, tough guy. The "say it to his face" argument really shows that you have a solid point. The sterotypes are just icing on your tough guy cake, macho man.

Oh and BTW, I would take 5 games if I were forced to watch Dixie State at home in lue of a competitive game with another top FCS conference team (just the CA sissy talking, sorry). But then, Chadron whooped up on you at home, so it might be a good game.

You've missed my point completely. This entire ridiculous argument (and my reaction to it) is based on the fact that you stated in a posting that:

"the The state of ND is still pissed and the state of Monata is still yeller and full of excuses." (yes, that's how you spelled Montana)

Now, someone takes offense at that comment and suggests that you wouldn't be such a loudmouth in person and that person is the "toughguy"? You're the one insulting an entire population based on the actions of the ADs at 2 universities.

I will gladly admit that my response was over the top, and I apologize for that. It was also not meant to be a jab at California, as I spent 8 years in San Diego before moving to Charlotte (please note this part of the sentence before responding about "here in Montana" - I don't live in Montana) and loved it. At no point did I say anything about anyone being a sissy. It was meant to be an overall commentary on individuals making lame, unfair comments about entire groups of people based on A FOOTBALL GAME being cancelled. If you think that anyone is acting like a tough guy, look in the mirror. You're the one calling people out by calling them cowards. What sort of response did you expect?

My big specific point is that everyone feels it is unfortunate that the MSU/NDSU game was cancelled, but there is nothing we can do about it. MSU fans want to see their team at home (seriously, there's not much else to do on a Saturday afternoon) and I think, not matter what anyone on the non-real-world internet says, they're AD would try to do the exact same thing if given the chance. I may be wrong, but none of you can say that because you're not ADs.

My other big specific point is that unwarranted attacks on the fanbases of other schools (like by calling their entire state "yeller", etc.) are bound to get a strong reaction. I always am of the opinion that, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, you shouldn't post it on a board. I guess I'm alone in that opinion and I should just slam everyone that I have a problem with, regardless of whether or not it makes me look stupid (or if what I post is even true)...

Bobcat in NC
January 10th, 2007, 02:34 PM
In either 2008 or 2009, there is a 13 saturday period between Labor Day weekend and Thanksgiving. Therefore 12 games should be on the agenda.

Montana & Montana St. should be scheduling the XDSU's at their I-29 homes for that year. THAT "rescheduling" would indicate that Griz & 'Cats are serious about getting in their respective trips, just deferred.

The issue is a strong appearance of avoiding returning home games.

And in '07 that appearance is GLARING! :bang:

But Griz/Cats we do want to play ya! :hurray: Just do a few to please our home crowds too! :nod:

EXCELLENT idea!!!!!!! :nod:

If there were a 12-game schedule and either NDSU or SDSU weren't on it (in ND or SD), I would be pi$$ed.

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I'd rather have a 5 game home schedule every other year and play home and homes with legitimate I-AA teams than have six homes games every year with a D2 or NAIA. No doubt about it.

Yeah, I agree, if money were not a factor in the decision making process. Unfortunately, we have to live in the real world---not the internet....:D

Tailbone
January 10th, 2007, 04:04 PM
To: All youse other guys

Even though App State is the big dog (‘cause they got to play in the big dog game) ever’one knows thet the Mighty Bison was the bestest team in the whole durn country.

Ever’body should be linin’ up fer the opportunity ta play us - if not, they's a bunch of yeller-bellied, lily-livered, cowardly b*st*rds.

If youse meet the terms of our agreement, and back-out of a game with the mighty Bison, well….yer a bunch of CHEATIN’ yeller-bellied, lily-livered, cowardly b*st*rds.
Jus ‘cuz we agreed to stuff don’t mean we’s a bunch a hicks, we trusted ya!

I don’t care ‘bout yer self interest, don’t wanna hear ‘bout no money.
Yeah, youse guys gave us the money youse promised (and we agreed to), but youse yeller sumb*tches dodged us ‘cuz yer SCARED, ya yeller cowards.

Oh, and Montana…they’s scared too, that’s why they only offered a guarantee with no home & home….’cuz they’re scared too. In fact they’re scared of ever’body in the GWFC…..’cuz we’re GREAT! We’s the best football playin’ suckers alive….good thing they ain’t no playoffs in BCS an we cain’t play iffen they did, ‘cuz we’d run over ever’body. An if we has ta come ta yer place to do it - well by golly we will, ya yeller-bellies!

Does that about sum it up?

Bobcat in NC
January 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Even though App State is the big dog (‘cause they got to play in the big dog game) ever’one knows thet the Mighty Bison was the bestest team in the whole durn country.

Ever’body should be linin’ up fer the opportunity ta play us - if not, they's a bunch of yeller-bellied, lily-livered, cowardly b*st*rds.

If youse meet the terms of our agreement, and back-out of a game with the mighty Bison, well….yer a bunch of CHEATIN’ yeller-bellied, lily-livered, cowardly b*st*rds.

Yeah, youse guys gave us the money youse promised (and we agreed to), but youse yeller sumb*tches dodged us ‘cuz yer SCARED, ya yeller cowards.

Oh, and Montana…they’s scared too, that’s why they only offered a guarantee with no home & home….’cuz they’re scared too. In fact they’re scared of ever’body in the GWFC…..’cuz we’re GREAT! We’s the best football playin’ suckers alive….good thing they ain’t no playoffs in BCS an we cain’t play iffen they did, ‘cuz we’d run over ever’body. An if we has ta come ta yer place to do it - well by golly we will, ya yeller-bellies!

Dude, you sound like you're from Butte (youse guys). I know, as I'm Mining City born & bred (although I don't say youse).

bison95
January 10th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Yep:D :D :D

seriously I think it is a minority that think the Bison should be #1, actually Being that they are not playoff elegible I don't know why they get ranked at all(or for that matter any non playoff school). But 5 is great, glad others respect us.

do you know how long it has been since there was a team like Montana State coming to fargo? This should show the respect fans have towards your school, we wanted that game because it would be huge. Everyone is just disapointed. I hope we play 3 I-A schools instead of D2 at home. Then there is something to have fun with. It is not fair weather either, I just want to see the 2 best on the field possible.

FargoBison
January 10th, 2007, 04:44 PM
If this is the first contract that MSU bought out, it sets a scary precedent. Both Montana and Montana State are in the same university system and this shows (directly or indirectly) that the Cats MIGHT be starting to do things like the Griz (perish the thought). Portland State bought out our game with McNeese last year, yet we made arrangements to start this year at Lake Charles. I guess what is scary is that MSU has not come out and said when the NDSU game will be scheduled, just an ambiguous statement of "it will be played". If this is an exception, then I am with Catbob and can let it go. But I would be concerned if this becomes the norm.

Since this was MSU's first time offense I have cut them some slack regarding buyouts. After hearing they want to travel to Fargo and return the game at a future date also gives them some more slack(I think there is plenty of interest from both sides on making NDSU-MSU an annual or every other year type of event). I don't think MSU wants to become buyout U like another Montana school has become where buyouts have gotten way out of control. Like others have said if you want 6 home games every year there are better ways to go about doing it then agreeing to home and homes or 2 for 1's and then buying them out. I know Montana wants to take advantage of the money they bring in for home games but until they change scheduling practices they deserve to listen to all the whining and complaining that SDSU and Cal Poly fans can dish out since the checks sent to there respective Universities will never come close to matching what a home game against Montana would have meant.

Bobcat in NC
January 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Yep:D :D :D

seriously I think it is a minority that think the Bison should be #1, actually Being that they are not playoff elegible I don't know why they get ranked at all(or for that matter any non playoff school). But 5 is great, glad others respect us.

do you know how long it has been since there was a team like Montana State coming to fargo? This should show the respect fans have towards your school, we wanted that game because it would be huge. Everyone is just disapointed. I hope we play 3 I-A schools instead of D2 at home. Then there is something to have fun with. It is not fair weather either, I just want to see the 2 best on the field possible.

95, thank you for being sane about the whole messy situation. The simple fact is, I would much rather see the Cats go to Fargo than to see them host a DII (from a football fan point of view). First, there's the "Oh God, look what happened with Chadron!" situation. Second, and most importantly, MSU/NDSU is just a game that I'd love to see. I think that all Cat fans would be pumped to have that game happen. However, everyone needs to realize that (unfortunately) DI football is a business. We don't have to like it, we just have to understand that it is what it is. There are a lot more players in this than just those on the field; and universities must have some level of responsibility to their fans, boosters and town. That being the case, getting a BCS payout and the economic bump from a DII home game (school and economy) has to make at least a little sense to all of us.

Again (and this is the last time I will post on this situation - as I've realized, finally, that nothing good is coming of this), I'm sorry that NDSU is in this position (and SDSU, even though MSU had nothing to do with that). I hope that both of your schools can fill every slot easily and get the games your respective fanbases want to see (at home). I wish both of your teams the best of luck next year and in the future. You never know, MSU may meet one of you on a snowy night in December in the not-so-distant future. I also hope that we can meet, whether inside or outside, at one of your houses one fine September afternoon.

griz8791
January 10th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I think the lesson learned (by SDSU, NDSU, Cal-Poly, Maine, and countless others) is when you do a home and home or a 2 for 1 with a Big Sky team you make sure the first game is at your place. :nonono2: :nono:

I know you're pissed but isn't the truth damning enough without exaggerating for emphasis? The Griz went to Maine (2003). I know it happened because I watched it on TV. To my knowledge the Black Bears have only been to Missoula once (2004). Therefore I see one completed home and home. I have reviewed the schedules from 2004 forward and it does not appear Maine has been back to Missoula. Therefore they have not been screwed out of a home and home. I know it's a small point but when you're getting your nose rubbed in somebody else's **** you sort of feel like having the record straight.

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I think the lesson learned (by SDSU, NDSU, Cal-Poly, Maine, and countless others) is when you do a home and home or a 2 for 1 with a Big Sky team you make sure the first game is at your place

Maybe Countless for an SDSU grad, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the nation can count to 4.

Ronbo
January 11th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I know you're pissed but isn't the truth damning enough without exaggerating for emphasis? The Griz went to Maine (2003). I know it happened because I watched it on TV. To my knowledge the Black Bears have only been to Missoula once (2004). Therefore I see one completed home and home. I have reviewed the schedules from 2004 forward and it does not appear Maine has been back to Missoula. Therefore they have not been screwed out of a home and home. I know it's a small point but when you're getting your nose rubbed in somebody else's **** you sort of feel like having the record straight.

Also NDSU was never a home and home. We don't do home and home with DII. It was a money game, they probably got 75-100K. We owe them nothing. I was told today that it was said by our AD at a GSA meeting that we will honor the SDSU return game, not this year but we will be going there in 2008 or 2009.

As far as I know we have only bought out 2 I-AA games. Hofstra and Cal Poly.

Griz Grunt
January 11th, 2007, 12:24 AM

Strange? When was the last time you actually took a gander at those horny Bison gals? I guess ya have, i'd be pissed too...

http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/horny-Bison-babe.gif

Hammersmith
January 11th, 2007, 02:30 AM
The sweetness and light part of me wants to have NDSU accept the $10k check from MSU and then have MSU accept a $10k guarantee game for the 12-game season. This way, both the letter and the spirit of the original contract would be fulfilled with minimal pain for all involved.

The evil part of me wants NDSU to take the $10k and then do everything possible to scuttle MSU's money game with Minnesota in 2008 by replacing them on the Gopher's schedule and taking that payout. That would be a sweet irony: They drop us for a money game, so we take one of theirs.

I'm mainly for the sweetness and light scenario, but that dark side is awfully tempting.

WYOBISONMAN
January 11th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Strange? When was the last time you actually took a gander at those horny Bison gals? I guess ya have, i'd be pissed too...

http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/horny-Bison-babe.gif

:thumbsup: That was quality!!

89rabbit
January 11th, 2007, 09:20 AM

When you are right you are right. I offer up my apology. I was not trying to exaggerate for emphasis, I made a honest mistake. Maine wasn't your victim, it was Hofstra my bad. :(

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/01/11/sports/sports03.txt

Grizzly gridders still looking for game to fill gap in schedule
By FRITZ NEIGHBOR of the Missoulian

The Montana Grizzlies' 2007 football schedule is about 90 percent done, and director of athletics Jim O'Day figures to have it completed within a month.

He doubts that Southern Cal is the final piece to the puzzle, however.

O'Day, who has been Montana's AD for 18 months, said he has heard the rumors about the Griz playing national power USC this coming fall. But he says he hasn't heard from USC.

“You would always listen,” he said of playing the Trojans, who finished No. 4 in the final Associated Press poll. “But I haven't heard from anybody. I don't know where they would've come from.”

Such a game would've been another leap for one of the top programs in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), formerly Division I-AA. In 2004 the Griz played at Oregon for $450,000; last year they went to Iowa for a $650,000 paycheck.

The Grizzlies, who finished last season ranked No. 4 after losing in the I-AA semifinals, have open dates on Sept. 15 and Sept. 22. O'Day is clear about what needs to happen for UM, which has six home games on the docket, to complete its schedule.

“It will either be a home game or a guarantee game,” said O'Day. . . .

O'Day hopes to schedule a home-and-home series with another FCS program, but that's dicey considering Montana's recent history. The Griz haven't been to Cal Poly, a nearly perennial foe, since 2001. They bought out a return trip to Hofstra scheduled for 2005, irritating Pride coach Joe Gardi.

They just bought out South Dakota State instead of taking a trip to Brookings in September, hence the two-week gap in their schedule. O'Day is hoping to restart a home-and-home with the Jackrabbits, with it starting at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in 2007. So far, SDSU isn't on board. . . . (read more)

What a shock that SDSU doesn't want to start a home-and-home with Montana when the first game is played at Washington-Grizzly, after the Griz won't honor a 2 for 1 deal. Like I said before our AD is trusting not stupid. :nonono2:

University of Montana director of athletics Jim O'Day

Let me apologize yet again for getting your victim wrong, my mistake. I am glad that you brought back a quote from page 1 of a thread that is currently on page 21 (22 with this post), so that we could set the record straight. Finally the fesses that people are rubbing your nose in is a pile left by a big Montana Grizzly Bear.

Good luck filling your open date. Looks like another D-II school or you will have to do the honorable thing and pay a guarantee to get a FCS school to come in. Maybe NAIA Carroll College has an opening.

spelunker64
January 11th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Also:

It's pretty front-heavy,” O'Day said. “Scheduling is really interesting anymore, and it is for everyone. Everybody has their own challenges.

“North Dakota State, I think, right now still has four games to schedule next year. No one wants to play them. (But) they're somebody who we've talked with.”

mlbowl
January 11th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I was not trying to exaggerate for emphasis, I made a honest mistake. Maine wasn't your victim, it was Hofstra my bad. :(

Try again silly rabbit

http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/results/xsl/results.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=content_results_web&id_team=100&event_schedule_year=2002&switch=YES&-sortfield.1=event_date_start&-sortfield.2=event_time_start&-sortorder.1=ascend&-sortorder.2=ascend&-token.8=0&-max=all&-find

@Hofstra 2002

mlbowl
January 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Try again silly rabbit

http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/results/xsl/results.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=content_results_web&id_team=100&event_schedule_year=2002&switch=YES&-sortfield.1=event_date_start&-sortfield.2=event_time_start&-sortorder.1=ascend&-sortorder.2=ascend&-token.8=0&-max=all&-find

@Hofstra 2002

My bad rabbit....I didn't realize they returned to Missoula in 2004....also the same year a million dollar athletic budget was uncovered:rolleyes:

89rabbit
January 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM
My bad rabbit....I didn't realize they returned to Missoula in 2004....also the same year a million dollar athletic budget was uncovered:rolleyes:

No big deal. We all make mistakes. ;) :nod: xlolx

Tailbone
January 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM
No big deal. We all make mistakes. ;) :nod: xlolx

I don't.

lizrdgizrd
January 12th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I don't.
I think we need a rimshot smiley.

Walkon79
January 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Now this is an utter Bullsh$t statement. I'm on the booster board at MSU and I know for a fact that we intended to honor our commitment to Fargo until about October 15, 2006, when Texas A&M came calling. We DID honor the contract and BTW, For $450,000 you think there's a chance the NDSU might do the same thing if the tables were turned? I sure do!

spelunker64
January 15th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Now this is an utter Bullsh$t statement. I'm on the booster board at MSU and I know for a fact that we intended to honor our commitment to Fargo until about October 15, 2006, when Texas A&M came calling. We DID honor the contract and BTW, For $450,000 you think there's a chance the NDSU might do the same thing if the tables were turned? I sure do!

Is Montana State playing Texas A&M in 2007? I've seen this mentioned on here, but have seen no links to articles announcing this or any schedules showing this. :confused:

Col Hogan
January 15th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Rumor has it this thread is going to become a sticky!!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

X-Factor
January 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM

this is utter bull****. The dates of the would-be MSU/NDSU game are different than the MSU/A&M game. Basically, your buying out NDSU to play Dixie State for the home game. Oh well, maybe you guys have a chance at beating Dixie State? :rolleyes: Wouldn't want to schedule any good teams.

AZGrizFan
January 16th, 2007, 08:25 AM
this is utter bull****. The dates of the would-be MSU/NDSU game are different than the MSU/A&M game. Basically, your buying out NDSU to play Dixie State for the home game. Oh well, maybe you guys have a chance at beating Dixie State? :rolleyes: Wouldn't want to schedule any good teams.

Think, for 30 seconds, before you post drivel like this. Follow the (I'm sure extremely convoluted for a Bison fan) logic here: You buy out NDSU because you've added another road game (A&M), so must replace a road game with a home game. Can't rightly change the CONFERENCE SCHEDULE, so that doesn't leave many options now, does it?

GOD I CAN'T WAIT TIL THE DAY THAT NDSU OR SDSU BUYS OUT THE BACK HALF OF A HOME AND HOME!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

JBB
January 16th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Get over it NDSU fans. :bang: We signed the contracts with the buy out clause included. Its not like they re-called sold tickets to redistribute at $27. Its not like they ended a 100 year rivalry in all sports. Its not like they stole money from the on-line Pharmacy program we were supposed to be partners in. Its not like they are proposing a funding plan to the State Legislature that would effectively break the NDSU bank. Its not like they are fighting accreditation of our Business College. Its not like they are fighting the addition of doctorate programs to the NDSU curriculum....

Get the picture?

Montana State exercised a buy out clause ONE NDSU SIGNED OFF ON! Its ok. They did no wrong.

IT’S OK. :thumbsup: xcoffeex

AggiePride
January 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Yeh, this dead horse is almost totally decomposed.

Time to bury it.

GrizMFr
January 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I wish the Dakota schools would go back to Divll so we don't have to listen to their constant whining about everything! Grow the ****** up!

RabidRabbit
January 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I wish the Dakota schools would go back to Divll so we don't have to listen to their constant whining about everything! Grow the ****** up!

Nice start thar GrizMFr :thumbsup: :p

Think we'll all stay around a while and make life tough for da Griz a bit.xlolx

BTW, don't look to fast, don't want ya getting whiplash, but two more DAKOTA schools are coming up too!!! :nod: :nod:

Hope this thread helps educate them to

PLAY BIG SKY AT HOME FIRST, THEN GO TO BIG SKY TO PLAY!

have a nice D-II home game! :doh:

WYOBISONMAN
January 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Well, I doubt that the #4 NDSU Bison are going anywhere but up. Better get used to it..........xlolx

JBB
January 17th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Not sure about the D2 part but your ABSOLUTELY CORRECT about the whining!

Heres a “modest proposal” for some of these guys:

1) We have to complete the transition before we can participate in the playoffs.

2) We weren't selected for the BSC for perfectly understandable reasons.

3) We are learning some lessons about scheduling.

When you whine about the transition you look like unds president.

When you put down the BSC (and UNC) for not selecting the Dakotas your bragging and appear arrogant.

When you put down Montana/Montana State for using mutually agreed upon contracts to their own advantage you sound like pouters.

Accept the fact we need to finish the transition. Respect the BSC and UNC, they did what was best for them. Finally learn lessons about scheduling from past mistakes.

NDSU is a hot ticket and the fact that Dr. Taylor's phone is ringing off the hook means we have options. Do something useful. Speculate on those.

:cool:

AZGrizFan
January 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Not sure about the D2 part but you're ABSOLUTELY CORRECT about the whining!

Heres a “modest proposal” for some of these guys:

1) We have to complete the transition before we can participate in the playoffs.

2) We weren't selected for the BSC for perfectly understandable reasons.

3) We are learning some lessons about scheduling.

When you whine about the transition you look like unds president.

When you put down the BSC (and UNC) for not selecting the Dakotas your bragging and appear arrogant.

When you put down Montana/Montana State for using mutually agreed upon contracts to their own advantage you sound like pouters.

Accept the fact we need to finish the transition. Respect the BSC and UNC, they did what was best for them. Finally learn lessons about scheduling from past mistakes.

NDSU is a hot ticket and the fact that Dr. Taylor's phone is ringing off the hook means we have options. Do something useful. Speculate on those.

:cool:

You're not REALLY associated with NDSU and SDSU, are you? Because with the reasoning you use, you can't possibly be. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AZGrizFan
January 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Well, I doubt that the #4 NDSU Bison are going anywhere but up. Better get used to it..........xlolx

Wouldn't it suck if that's as good as you're ever going to be? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :cool: :p

GRZZ
January 17th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Wouldn't it suck if that's as good as you're ever going to be? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :cool: :p

They did finish great, but we know nothing until their transition is over and they get to the playoffs. Cal Poly beat us at home in the playoffs and that was a big credibility boost for them to many fans on this board IMHO. We can settle this when we start meeting in the playoffs... and when that day comes (I can't wait) it will be on you to beat the storied Montana Grizzlies in the playoffs more than it will be on us to beat you, even if you are the hired seed. Right or wrong, we have a history in 1AA/FCS and yours is just beggining. Lets lets this dead horse rest and focus on how much fun we are going to have hopefully seeing eachother in the playoffs fairly regularly.

AZGrizFan
January 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM
They did finish great, but we know nothing until their transition is over and they get to the playoffs. Cal Poly beat us at home in the playoffs and that was a big credibility boost for them to many fans on this board IMHO. We can settle this when we start meeting in the playoffs... and when that day comes (I can't wait) it will be on you to beat the storied Montana Grizzlies in the playoffs more than it will be on us to beat you, even if you are the hired seed. Right or wrong, we have a history in 1AA/FCS and yours is just beggining. Lets lets this dead horse rest and focus on how much fun we are going to have hopefully seeing eachother in the playoffs fairly regularly.

Despite quoting ME on your response, by YOU I assume you're referring to NSDU fans? :confused:

GRZZ
January 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Despite quoting ME on your response, by YOU I assume you're referring to NSDU fans? :confused:

Yes, I was quoting you because I agree with you. Sorry about that!

No_Skill
January 18th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Well said. See ya'll in the playoffs in '08...

...if you make it.

:smiley_wi I couldn't resist :thumbsup:

catbob
January 19th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Just out of curiosity... why would MSU back out for "chicken-*****" reasons against a team that MSU beat when said team was ranked last time they met?

GRZZ
January 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Well said. See ya'll in the playoffs in '08...

...if you make it.

:smiley_wi I couldn't resist :thumbsup:

Wow. I am really starting to get sick of the arrogance of some (not all) NDSU and SDSU fans. This division has a history, respect some of it. Don't act like you are God's gift to the rest of us please.

Bison05
January 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Wow. I am really starting to get sick of the arrogance of some (not all) NDSU and SDSU fans. This division has a history, respect some of it. Don't act like you are God's gift to the rest of us please.

Im starting to wonder if you guys have a sense of humor up there in montana. It was a joke; that what :smiley_wi this usually signifies.xlolx

AggiePride
January 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Pots and kettles........... irony.......... hipocricy..........oh my!

No_Skill
January 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Talk about defensive. Come on guys, it's the off-season lighten up. :rotateh:

Rabbit3467
January 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Also NDSU was never a home and home. We don't do home and home with DII. It was a money game, they probably got 75-100K. We owe them nothing. I was told today that it was said by our AD at a GSA meeting that we will honor the SDSU return game, not this year but we will be going there in 2008 or 2009.

As far as I know we have only bought out 2 I-AA games. Hofstra and Cal Poly.

When you are right you are right. I offer up my apology. I was not trying to exaggerate for emphasis, I made a honest mistake. Maine wasn't your victim, it was Hofstra my bad. :(

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/01/11/sports/sports03.txt

Grizzly gridders still looking for game to fill gap in schedule
By FRITZ NEIGHBOR of the Missoulian

The Montana Grizzlies' 2007 football schedule is about 90 percent done, and director of athletics Jim O'Day figures to have it completed within a month.

He doubts that Southern Cal is the final piece to the puzzle, however.

O'Day, who has been Montana's AD for 18 months, said he has heard the rumors about the Griz playing national power USC this coming fall. But he says he hasn't heard from USC.

“You would always listen,” he said of playing the Trojans, who finished No. 4 in the final Associated Press poll. “But I haven't heard from anybody. I don't know where they would've come from.”

Such a game would've been another leap for one of the top programs in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), formerly Division I-AA. In 2004 the Griz played at Oregon for $450,000; last year they went to Iowa for a $650,000 paycheck.

The Grizzlies, who finished last season ranked No. 4 after losing in the I-AA semifinals, have open dates on Sept. 15 and Sept. 22. O'Day is clear about what needs to happen for UM, which has six home games on the docket, to complete its schedule.

“It will either be a home game or a guarantee game,” said O'Day. . . .

O'Day hopes to schedule a home-and-home series with another FCS program, but that's dicey considering Montana's recent history. The Griz haven't been to Cal Poly, a nearly perennial foe, since 2001. They bought out a return trip to Hofstra scheduled for 2005, irritating Pride coach Joe Gardi.

They just bought out South Dakota State instead of taking a trip to Brookings in September, hence the two-week gap in their schedule. O'Day is hoping to restart a home-and-home with the Jackrabbits, with it starting at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in 2007. So far, SDSU isn't on board. . . . (read more)

What a shock that SDSU doesn't want to start a home-and-home with Montana when the first game is played at Washington-Grizzly, after the Griz won't honor a 2 for 1 deal. Like I said before our AD is trusting not stupid. :nonono2:

University of Montana director of athletics Jim O'Day

Let me apologize yet again for getting your victim wrong, my mistake. I am glad that you brought back a quote from page 1 of a thread that is currently on page 21 (22 with this post), so that we could set the record straight. Finally the fesses that people are rubbing your nose in is a pile left by a big Montana Grizzly Bear.

Good luck filling your open date. Looks like another D-II school or you will have to do the honorable thing and pay a guarantee to get a FCS school to come in. Maybe NAIA Carroll College has an opening.

This sure doesnt sound like Montana is going to honor their home game to SDSU. It actuallly sounds quite crazy to think that SDSU would enter into another home and home with Montana, especially with the front end in montana. This is really dissapointing to me, because its one of the few places i can get to to see the jacks play.

AZGrizFan
January 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Im starting to wonder if you guys have a sense of humor up there in montana. It was a joke; that what :smiley_wi this usually signifies.xlolx

Hey, quit lumping us all together! :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :nono: :nono: ;)

Bison05
January 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Hey, quit lumping us all together! :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :nono: :nono: ;)

My bad, I just figured you learned your sense of humor after moving to AZ:nod: :nod: :smiley_wi

Grizo406
January 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Something you might not know about a Griz fan's sense of humor...the further we go in the playoffs, the better it gets!xlolx xlolx xlolx

GRZZ
January 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I just really don't think this topic is all that funny anymore, joke or not.

Bison05
January 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I just really don't think this topic is all that funny anymore, joke or not.

Well then the solution is simple, dont read it.:thumbsup:

AZGrizFan
January 19th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Something you might not know about a Griz fan's sense of humor...the further we go in the playoffs, the better it gets!xlolx xlolx xlolx

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Something Bison fans know nothing about! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

at least not at the I-AA level.....

bison95
January 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Something Bison fans know nothing about! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

at least not at the I-AA level.....

We always won in the playoffs, so yea your right:D :eek:

CopperCat
January 22nd, 2007, 10:47 AM

Then why praytell is Montana State backing out? And don't you dare say its because we are scared. Mike Kramer is always up for the game no matter who it is. If anyone is scared, its our spineless AD, so take it out on him, and nobody else.