PDA

View Full Version : STATS OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

LU808
October 3rd, 2016, 05:22 PM
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Jeremiah Briscoe, Sam Houston State, QB, R-Jr., 6-3, 220, Houston
Briscoe dominated Stephen F. Austin with a career-high 438 passing yards and a program-record seven touchdown passes in No. 2 Sam Houston's 63-28 victory. He completed 25 of 33 attempts in only three quarters of action. The Bearkats' 63 points were the most scored in the rivalry between the Southland Conference programs.

BRAD MAYES - Mayes kept Lehigh's offensive machine rolling in the Mountain Hawks' 63-35 win at Yale, completing 33-of-46 passes for 524 yards with six touchdowns and no interceptions. The 524 yards set a new school and Yale Bowl record, while the six touchdown passes matched a school record held by four others, most recently Chris Lum against New Hampshire in 2011. The 524 yards also established a new team passing record. Making his third career start, Mayes threw three touchdowns in each half, as Lehigh scored 21 points in each of the first three quarters on the way to the program's first 60-point day in 14 years.

Award went to the wrong player....Mayes accomplishment was more impressive as it was his first start in over a year....and he entered the game as a back up...only learning of his start 2 days prior.

McNeese75
October 3rd, 2016, 05:25 PM
Extrapolate Briscoe's performance for all 4 quarters and I think they made the right choice.

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2016, 09:04 PM
Extrapolate Briscoe's performance for all 4 quarters and I think they made the right choice.

Plus quality of competition.

Nickels
October 3rd, 2016, 10:39 PM
Brisco had a great statistical game. His passing efficiency was off the charts but I think he can play better. He had some nice throws but a few could have been intercepted if SFA made the plays. It's nice to see the offense really starting to click though. The Kats will put up some gaudy numbers this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXjncgxZJoc

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 3rd, 2016, 11:25 PM
Mayes had a helluva a game and deserved recognition. But, Yale really doe suck. I find it funny that another Lehigh QB, Bob Alysworth previously held the Yale Bowl record for passing yards (454 in 1994).

Mayes will be in the mix for national superlatives when gets the reigns next year. The kid is a phenomenal. Lehigh is loaded with offensive talent right now. They're two deep at QB, 5 deep at WR and 3 deep at RB. Troy Pelletier is starting to get into Cupp and Wieneke territory.

Lehigh has a little EWU in them recently. Great skill talent the last 5-6 years but subpar to terrible defenses. EWU has obviously been better...

WestCoastAggie
October 4th, 2016, 08:32 AM
They really should've given a look at Tarik Cohen and his 26 carries for 256 yards against Hampton. The kid was a one man show this past Thursday night.

McNeese75
October 4th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Brisco had a great statistical game. His passing efficiency was off the charts but I think he can play better. He had some nice throws but a few could have been intercepted if SFA made the plays. It's nice to see the offense really starting to click though. The Kats will put up some gaudy numbers this year.

Damn, that video makes the Jacks look like the Washington Generals when they played the Globetrotters xbowx

BEAR
October 4th, 2016, 09:00 AM

That reminds me of this: Heck of an effort!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7gK00bZKs

UNIFanSince1983
October 4th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Briscoe had fewer yards, but one more TD. Briscoe had 76% completion percentage compared to 71%. Both outrageous, but one is still better. Briscoe had 17.52 yards per completion compared to 15.88.

Both teams scored 63 points. Both threw 0 Ints. Briscoe played only 3 quarters. So really the only thing Mayes had going for him was more yards really. I think the award was to the right player.

Daytripper
October 4th, 2016, 09:35 AM

That fifth TD catch by Stewart was a thing of beauty. Body control and hands to go with speed to burn.

tomq04
October 4th, 2016, 09:43 AM
The Kats look white hot.

geaux_sioux
October 4th, 2016, 09:51 AM
The Kats look white hot.
Best team in the Big Sky

BEAR
October 4th, 2016, 10:06 AM
The Kats look white hot.

The Kats look hot, hot, hot...

Samalum'10
October 4th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Best team in the Big Sky
Savage

tomq04
October 4th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Savage
I was going to drop that bomb myself, but didn't want to double post.

Hope your on the other side of the bracket.

Katfan
October 4th, 2016, 04:22 PM

That could be an amazing game like in 04. A true classic

Gangtackle11
October 5th, 2016, 06:34 AM

I'd be careful here. I don't think SFA is much better than Yale. Massey agrees it would be a game between SFA & Yale. SFA rated a little better, but not a huge difference.

Another weaker east opponent myth busted. Just because the eastern schools have academic reputations doesn't necessarily mean they roll over to some of the west.

Katfan
October 5th, 2016, 07:56 AM
I'd be careful here. I don't think SFA is much better than Yale. Massey agrees it would be a game between SFA & Yale. SFA rated a little better, but not a huge difference.

Another weaker east opponent myth busted. Just because the eastern schools have academic reputations doesn't necessarily mean they roll over to some of the west.
Isn't SFA around 50 and Yale close to 90? If so that would put Yale in the HBU, TSU range. If so that's a big difference in quality of opponent. But none the less, his performance was amazing and stands on it's on.

kalm
October 5th, 2016, 08:04 AM

Yale is 0-3 losing by an average of almost 30 from a conference that chooses to not challenge itself in the regular season or the playoffs. Myth intact.

Gangtackle11
October 5th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Isn't SFA around 50 and Yale close to 90? If so that would put Yale in the HBU, TSU range. If so that's a big difference in quality of opponent. But none the less, his performance was amazing and stands on it's on.

Massey is just 1 rating service, but they project a 37-28 score. Not exactly a beat down for SFA. My only Villanova experience of SFA wasn't pretty for the Texas boys (54-24 road win in 2010). I expected more given the hype.

Yale isn't a good football team this season, but they can hang with SFA is my point. It's not that lopsided. Better probably by a little bit.

Congrats to the SHSU QB for a great game. I'll get to see Mayes next season up close @ Lehigh next season.

UNIFanSince1983
October 5th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Massey is just 1 rating service, but they project a 37-28 score. Not exactly a beat down for SFA. My only Villanova experience of SFA wasn't a pretty site. Yale isn't a good football team this season, but they can hang with SFA is my point. It's not that lopsided. Better probably by a little bit.

I don't think they could hang with SFA this year. You are using Massey to predict a score which is dangerous. I mean Massey predicts a 42-28 score between Lehigh and Yale. As we know Lehigh actually won 63-35. So what does that prediction really tell us? As someone has already pointed out Massey has a 40 spot difference in his rankings. In the composite SFA is 47 and Yale is 102. So really there is a big gap in level of competition.

In the FAQ Massey states this about his predictions: "With this in mind, it is not wise to hold unrealistic expectations of the predictions."

Gangtackle11
October 5th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I don't think they could hang with SFA this year. You are using Massey to predict a score which is dangerous. I mean Massey predicts a 42-28 score between Lehigh and Yale. As we know Lehigh actually won 63-35. So what does that prediction really tell us? As someone has already pointed out Massey has a 40 spot difference in his rankings. In the composite SFA is 47 and Yale is 102. So really there is a big gap in level of competition.

In the FAQ Massey states this about his predictions: "With this in mind, it is not wise to hold unrealistic expectations of the predictions."

I believe they have picked the winner correctly 81% of the time, but I get your point. I said hang with SFA not beat them regularly. We all would be rich betting with Massey if they could predict exact scores.

Given the rationale of Massey rankings argument & the comment "against lesser competition" it's fortunate that Lehigh played Yale instead of Harvard, Dartmouth, & Penn. All 3 ranked higher in the Massey than SFA.

Be careful when degrading eastern football. It's a myth. Only NDSU can flex their muscles the rest of you have your warts just like our teams out east.

Samalum'10
October 5th, 2016, 08:44 AM

Hmmm...SHSU/EWU Championship game with an O/U of 130 haha

UNIFanSince1983
October 5th, 2016, 09:01 AM
I believe they have picked the winner correctly 81% of the time, but I get your point. I said hang with SFA not beat them regularly. We all would be rich betting with Massey if they could predict exact scores.

Given the rationale of Massey rankings argument & the comment "against lesser competition" it's fortunate that Lehigh played Yale instead of Harvard, Dartmouth, & Penn. All 3 ranked higher in the Massey than SFA.

Be careful when degrading eastern football. It's a myth. Only NDSU can flex their muscles the rest of you have your warts just like our teams out east.

Never said all east teams are weak. But did say that Yale is bad, and SFA is a better team. It is a little early, but Yale's closest loss out of all 3 games they have played is 14 points. That is not good at all. SFA has a win against a ranked McNeese team on the road. This is not a bad team. So going back to why this started Briscoe had a more impressive performance against a better team. Which is why he won Player of the Week over the QB from Lehigh. Not to take anything away from the kid at Lehigh as his performance on any other week is worthy. This week it was not.

Gangtackle11
October 5th, 2016, 09:12 AM

Not arguing the deserving QB who won the award or any of your comments. I responded to this. It's weaker(maybe),but not as much as some might think. I'm done. Good luck to all out there & especially wish for a safe weekend down in the areas affected by Matt.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2016, 09:27 AM

Idk what you are talking about. Yale simply isn't good this year. That has nothing to do with some overall region thing. Also why did you randomly quote me again when you are having a conversation with someone else? I'd love for Yale to be good, its one of the schools I've attended, but they suck.

Doc QB
October 5th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Look at the film highlights...SFA's defense looked terrible and having watched the LU-Yale game, they looked as inept at Yale's D. There was either a busted coverage or a defender in solid position who got outplayed. Give the 'Kats credit, they made better plays on the ball, but a few of those balls almost hit the SFA defenders. I do love seeing how they spread the field, gotta be a fun offense to watch each week down there for sure.

Lehigh'98
October 5th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Close call, can understand the rationale for Sammy QB. One thing to note though, even though Mayes played the 4th qtr, Lehigh ran almost every play. Box score was 21, 21, 21, 0 as far as points scored. Personally I would have liked them to put up 80 after the chop block fiasco there 2 years ago.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Close call, can understand the rationale for Sammy QB. One thing to note though, even though Mayes played the 4th qtr, Lehigh ran almost every play. Box score was 21, 21, 21, 0 as far as points scored. Personally I would have liked them to put up 80 after the chop block fiasco there 2 years ago.

So, would you say you hold a grudge? xthumbsupx

ngineer
October 5th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Briscoe had fewer yards, but one more TD. Briscoe had 76% completion percentage compared to 71%. Both outrageous, but one is still better. Briscoe had 17.52 yards per completion compared to 15.88.

Both teams scored 63 points. Both threw 0 Ints. Briscoe played only 3 quarters. So really the only thing Mayes had going for him was more yards really. I think the award was to the right player.

While Mayes played four quarters, Lehigh ran the ball virtually the entire fourth quarter, otherwise we would have scored 84.

Sammy94
October 6th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Eat'em Up Kats!! Wonder what the other team will try to stop this week? Will Briscoe throw for 300+ again or will it be a 300+ rushing attack?

Katfan
October 6th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Eat'em Up Kats!! Wonder what the other team will try to stop this week? Will Briscoe throw for 300+ again or will it be a 300+ rushing attack?
Or both

kalm
October 6th, 2016, 09:21 AM
While Mayes played four quarters, Lehigh ran the ball virtually the entire fourth quarter, otherwise we would have scored 84.

We ran the ball on our last two drives, both in Davis territory including 4th down. Gubrud could have finished with 8 TD's and over 600 yards of total offense. Krupp could have had 4 TD''s and 350 receiving yards.

Yet you don't hear me complaining. Lots of great performances this week.

dewey
October 6th, 2016, 08:48 PM
We ran the ball on our last two drives, both in Davis territory including 4th down. Gubrud could have finished with 8 TD's and over 600 yards of total offense. Krupp could have had 4 TD''s and 350 receiving yards.

Yet you don't hear me complaining. Lots of great performances this week.

Who is Krupp:D

I expect more from an Eagles fan.xdrunkyx

Dewey