PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Week 6 Predictions

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2016, 12:11 AM
Here, I wasn't doing anything tonight so I figured I would get this done so Twenty Six doesn't have to fret over it :D. Anyways, as expected, conference play gave some people a beating this week. Will likely continue, especially if Misery St isn't as miserable as we all thought and keeps knocking teams off. As promised, anybody who did not participate last week and had under 20 points has been eliminated. Some separation happening at the top while some people gained ground. Anyways here's the standings:

Thumper 76: 32
Dewey: 30
m_miller34: 29
Trumpster: 29
ST_Lawson: 29
The Yo Show: 29
BisonFanInNWMN: 28
BisonTru: 28
REALBird: 27
Twenty Six: 27
Gil Dolbie: 27
clenz: 27
Paladin1aa: 26
Professor Chaos: 26
POD Knows: 26
MR CHICKEN: 26
Yotes 21: 25
WTFCollegefootballfan: 24
Mayville Bison: 24
EIU1999: 22
X-Factor: 21
bonarae: 19
TheKingpin28: 18
Bison56: 17
DCWIU11: 13
underdawg: 9
ysubigred: 8

If you do not pick this week and are under 25, you are the weakest link. Goodbye :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2016, 12:16 AM
This weeks match ups:

2 pm Northern Iowa @South Dakota-Midco/ESPN3

2 pm North Dakota State @Missouri State-NBD ND/ESPN3

2 pm Youngstown State @Illinois State-CSN/ESPN3

3 pm Indiana State @Western Illinois-MVC/ESPN3

6 pm South Dakota State @Southern Illinois-ESPN3

bonarae
October 2nd, 2016, 03:40 AM
UNI
NDSU
Youngstown State
WIU
SDSU

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2016, 05:16 AM
UNI
NDSU
Youngstown State
WIU
SDSU

- - - Updated - - -

Wooo I don't have to fret!

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 2nd, 2016, 05:55 AM
UNI
NDSU
YSU
WIU
SDSU

dewey
October 2nd, 2016, 07:45 AM
UNI
NDSU
Youngstown State
WIU
SDSU

Dewey

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2016, 08:27 AM

Professor Chaos
October 2nd, 2016, 09:20 AM
A lot of conformists in this group so far. Come on guys, go out on a limb! I need to make up some ground :D

MR. CHICKEN
October 2nd, 2016, 09:40 AM
A lot of conformists in this group so far. Come on guys, go out on a limb! I need to make up some ground :D

.....PROFESSOR.....IFIN' UH LAND-MINE EXISTS...IN MVFC.....WEEK #6.......PONDER......DUH PENGUINS TRIP......TA ABNORMAL......AS DEY ACCEPT...DUH IDEAR.....ISU RED'S....BIRDS.....ARE UH BUNCH UH TWEETIES.......AN' NORFFERN IOWA.......ARRIVES @ DUH PALACE....WEEK AFTERAH.....YA HIT DIS ONE........AN' YA MAY JUMP OVERAH DUH CHICKEN.....AWK!

Gil Dobie
October 2nd, 2016, 05:02 PM

DCWIU11
October 2nd, 2016, 05:40 PM
UNI
NDSU
Illinois State
WIU
SDSU

underdawg
October 2nd, 2016, 05:54 PM

Her you go;

SD--time for UNI to do their annual trip over their own feet

MSU---Bison have no respect at all for Bears--maybe they are a lot better this year--at least on offense

Il State--I hate Dead birds but they play ok at home

Ind state--just trying to help Chaos out you know?

SIU--why would a homer like me choose against his own team? SIU grounded out 378 total yards against UNI so hopefully SIU won't have 150 yards of penalties and give up 14 points in 46 seconds like they did to the Kitties, having a 26 yard punt on their own 5 yard line, 46 yard TD interception etc, etc

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2016, 06:26 PM
UNI

This is a game that they could lose, but I doubt it. Strevler for USeD has been responsible for a ton of points, but about a quarter of them for the other team. If he doesn't turn the ball over they could pull the upset, but it hasn't happened yet, and UNI is the best defense they have faced. Similar game to SIU last week.

NDSU

The Bears are better than expected, and this game will be closer than it should be. NDSU hasn't really played that well down there, and MSU has a lot of confidence going for them.

YSU

Youngstown is playing pretty well, and I don't think that ISUr is in a good place mentally. Most likely a close game, and the Redbirds will be in desperation mode, but their O line played like garbage and YSU has a D line that isn't that far behind NDSU.

WIU

Last time the Leathernecks got pummeled they responded by winning into the second round of the playoffs. ISUb just isn't as good as them either, and this one gets ugly with a good pissed off squad at home.

SDSU

SIU got destroyed by UNI, and gave up 3 passing TDs to Bailey and company. That doesn't bode well against SDSUs weapons.

ST_Lawson
October 2nd, 2016, 07:25 PM
WIU

Last time the Leathernecks got pummeled they responded by winning into the second round of the playoffs. ISUb just isn't as good as them either, and this one gets ugly with a good pissed off squad at home.

Yup, they're going to come out angry next Saturday. It'll be beautiful out, we'll have a huge (for us) crowd, it'll be Homecoming, and they're going to want to take out their frustrations by chopping down some trees.

As for my predictions:

Northern Iowa
North Dakota State
Illinois State
Western Illinois
South Dakota State

It's the "easy pick" slate, same as a lot of people are going with. Just because it's "easy" doesn't mean it isn't the most likely outcome, I'd say.

Bison56
October 2nd, 2016, 07:41 PM
Well I guess I am done, that's what I get for missing some games. I just want to say thanks for doing the work on this Thumper 76.

mmiller_34
October 2nd, 2016, 08:09 PM
2 pm Northern Iowa @South Dakota
2 pm North Dakota State @Missouri State
2 pm Youngstown State@Illinois State
3 pm Indiana State @Western Illinois
6 pm South Dakota State @Southern Illinois

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2016, 08:12 PM
Well I guess I am done, that's what I get for missing some games. I just want to say thanks for doing the work on this Thumper 76.

No you're still in. You only get bounced if you're under the number (25) and don't make your picks. So you, good sir, are still in!

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 2nd, 2016, 08:12 PM
2 pm Northern Iowa @South Dakota
2 pm North Dakota State @Missouri State
2 pm Youngstown State@Illinois State
3 pm Indiana State @Western Illinois
6 pm South Dakota State @Southern Illinois

Really?

You going with SIU?

xeyebrowx

underdawg
October 2nd, 2016, 08:22 PM
No homers in South Dakota I recond

TheKingpin28
October 2nd, 2016, 08:27 PM
No you're still in. You only get bounced if you're under the number (25) and don't make your picks. So you, good sir, are still in!

You are discriminating against us with less correct picks? I get it. No, I get it.

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2016, 08:28 PM
You are discriminating against us with less correct picks? I get it. No, I get it.

Don't suck and you don't have this problem xcoffeex

TheKingpin28
October 2nd, 2016, 08:31 PM
Don't suck and you don't have this problem xcoffeex

I know I skipped week 1 and possibly week 2, so for only being in it for this long, I am quite proud of my stats. But for me to suck at this, I would first have to try and suck, and that has yet to happen.

CappinHard
October 2nd, 2016, 10:27 PM
Yup, they're going to come out angry next Saturday. It'll be beautiful out, we'll have a huge (for us) crowd, it'll be Homecoming, and they're going to want to take out their frustrations by chopping down some trees.

As for my predictions:

Northern Iowa
North Dakota State
Illinois State
Western Illinois
South Dakota State

It's the "easy pick" slate, same as a lot of people are going with. Just because it's "easy" doesn't mean it isn't the most likely outcome, I'd say.

The only game that's remotely difficult to pick is YSU vs. ISUr. Tough to tell what will happen with ISUr licking their wounds and going back home. They might come up with a big game. Also, I don't think we've really seen what YSU is really made of at this point. According to the updated Sagarin ratings, YSU is only favored by 2 points. The rest of the games seem easy to pick, which is reflected in Sagarin predicting big spreads in all of them. SDSU has the smallest spread around 9. I wonder what those 4 teams to win in a parlay this weekend would pay. xeyebrowx

Bison56
October 2nd, 2016, 11:12 PM
UNI
NDSU
YSU
WIU
SDSU

Houndawg
October 3rd, 2016, 06:31 AM
Really?

You going with SIU?

xeyebrowx

Only chance for an upset, remote as it is.

Yotes21
October 3rd, 2016, 09:01 AM
UNI
NDSU
YSU
WIU
SIU (Had to take an upset, may as well be against the bunnies)

REALBird
October 3rd, 2016, 09:28 AM
Northern Iowa
North Dakota State
Illinois State
Western Illinois
South Dakota State

underdawg
October 3rd, 2016, 09:46 AM
UNI
NDSU
YSU
WIU

Bunnies looking ahead to Bison game--high scorer at 55-45, or something like that

Mayville Bison
October 3rd, 2016, 09:50 AM

BisonBacker
October 3rd, 2016, 10:22 AM
Even though I'm not part of the group I'll throw in my xtwocentsx just for fun.

This weeks match ups:

Sycamore62
October 3rd, 2016, 11:34 AM
Im not in either but here's my picks

UNI
NDSU
Illinois State....since I think we are to that point in every season where the collapse happens.
Indiana State....I hope we will get the 3 O-linemen we lost in the 2nd qtr agains MSU. (I wouldnt pick against them regardless)
SIU....I have a feeling about this one

Paladin1aa
October 3rd, 2016, 01:20 PM
UNI- could be a close game, but I doubt it.
NDS -- this one won't be close
ILS -- toss up but Guins haven't won here in years
WIU -- recovery week.
SDS -- Bunnies take no prisoners.

ysubigred
October 3rd, 2016, 01:32 PM
UNI- 15-2
NDSU 35-14
YSU 3-2 2ot's
WIU 37-19
SDSU 116-97

Catsfan90
October 3rd, 2016, 01:39 PM
-5 point spread for SDSU VS SIU, anyone here agree with that?

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2016, 01:43 PM

Maybe. If it is 49-44.

Catsfan90
October 3rd, 2016, 01:45 PM
Maybe. If it is 49-44.

Massey has it 40-34. I'll take my chances.

CappinHard
October 3rd, 2016, 01:54 PM

I am. I thought it would come in over a TD for sure, around 8 or 9. This is definitely an indication that even though WIU only scored 14 against us, there are still some question marks about our defense, and rightly so imo. Also, SIU hasn't had much success in terms or W/L recently, but they have been tough to beat at home, just look at last year's conference home games.

Win vs. Mo. St. 73-26
Win vs. YSU 38-31
Loss vs. NDSU 35-29
Loss vs. Ill. St. 42-21

Big loss to a good ISUr team, but other than that some impressive games. Hard to predict this game because it's not known what defense will show up. SDSU is going to get 40+, but they could give up that much too. After seeing the way they played against WIU, my prediction is 45-20.

eiu1999
October 3rd, 2016, 02:03 PM

Houndawg
October 3rd, 2016, 02:07 PM
I am. I thought it would come in over a TD for sure, around 8 or 9. This is definitely an indication that even though WIU only scored 14 against us, there are still some question marks about our defense, and rightly so imo. Also, SIU hasn't had much success in terms or W/L recently, but they have been tough to beat at home, just look at last year's conference home games.

Win vs. Mo. St. 73-26
Win vs. YSU 38-31
Loss vs. NDSU 35-29
Loss vs. Ill. St. 42-21

Big loss to a good ISUr team, but other than that some impressive games. Hard to predict this game because it's not known what defense will show up. SDSU is going to get 40+, but they could give up that much too. After seeing the way they played against WIU, my prediction is 45-20.

Our only chance is to catch the Jacks looking past us to the ndsu. Same deal for the Salukis as last week: if Straughn has time to throw we could make it interesting - assuming we don't have 17 penalties again...

Sycamore62
October 3rd, 2016, 02:27 PM

Win vs. Mo. St. 73-26
Win vs. YSU 38-31
Loss vs. NDSU 35-29
Loss vs. Ill. St. 42-21

Here's why I chose SIU and it's long winded and a bit of a long shot but....
SDSU coming off a lop sided win where (when I was watching) went from reasonably manageable to completely sideways in a couple plays. SIU is coming off a road loss against a team I think should always be in the "couple rounds deep" conversation in the playoffs....I also have a few question marks on WIU and the win against them. I'm kind of using EIU as a benchmark for them. EIU won and lost to WIU and ISUr in basically the same fashion different ways. lop sided stats and lost 2 fumbles and an INT. sooooo thats causing my question marks as to how big of a win that was saturday so I think a road game at SIU who i think will move the ball could cause SDSU some problems.

BisonTru
October 3rd, 2016, 04:02 PM
YSU 3-2 2ot's

I've spent way too long thinking about your prediction, but I'm pretty sure this is impossible even though I know it was tongue and cheek.

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2016, 04:05 PM
I've spent way too long thinking about your prediction, but I'm pretty sure this is impossible even though I know it was tongue and cheek.

Yeah, its not.

2ots 0-2 is possible, but would involve something ridiculous happening like a QB scramble for -75 yds.

Houndawg
October 3rd, 2016, 04:35 PM
Here's why I chose SIU and it's long winded and a bit of a long shot but....
SDSU coming off a lop sided win where (when I was watching) went from reasonably manageable to completely sideways in a couple plays. SIU is coming off a road loss against a team I think should always be in the "couple rounds deep" conversation in the playoffs....I also have a few question marks on WIU and the win against them. I'm kind of using EIU as a benchmark for them. EIU won and lost to WIU and ISUr in basically the same fashion different ways. lop sided stats and lost 2 fumbles and an INT. sooooo thats causing my question marks as to how big of a win that was saturday so I think a road game at SIU who i think will move the ball could cause SDSU some problems.

UNI was the better team but the stats were pretty even other than SIU being flagged 10 more times than UNI. SIU spotted them 14 points in the first few minutes and were playing uphill all night at the Dome on their Homecoming. I think we'll play better this week and if we're given time to throw it could be a barn burner.

CappinHard
October 3rd, 2016, 04:57 PM
Yeah, its not.

2ots 0-2 is possible, but would involve something ridiculous happening like a QB scramble for -75 yds.

Why not? The crazy safety play could happen on the first possession of the 2nd OT, then the field goal to win it in the second possession. Stupid conversation overall, but I believe it's possible.

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2016, 04:57 PM
Why not? The crazy safety play could happen on the first possession of the 2nd OT, then the field goal to win it in the second possession. Stupid conversation overall, but I believe it's possible.

But the safety would give the defensive team 2-0 and they would win the game immediately, there is no reason for the defensive team to then get the ball, and no team gets the ball twice in an overtime. Just like in NDSU's OT game against EWU we won by 6 because no XP was neccessary. Once you win in OT the game is over.

CappinHard
October 3rd, 2016, 05:01 PM
But the safety would give the defensive team 2-0 and they would win the game immediately. Just like in NDSU's OT game against EWU we won by 6 because no XP was neccessary. Once you win in OT the game is over.

Touche. My bad, didn't think it through. Edit - Wait... Can't believe I'm still putting thought toward this, but hear me out. The defense intercepts a pass or picks up a fumble, goes to return the ball to score, ends up somehow getting a safety scored on themselves. Then they would go on offense and kick the winning field goal.

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2016, 05:02 PM
Touche. My bad, didn't think it through.

It really is a brain teaser. I went back and forth on it trying to figure it out lol.

Sycamore62
October 3rd, 2016, 05:13 PM
safety happens to the team who had the ball 2nd.....check mate

Sycamore62
October 3rd, 2016, 05:16 PM
ORRRRR....

offense runs to the 5yd line and fumbles. while the ball is still rolling but clearly coming to a stop on the 4yd line, defense intentionally bats the ball out of the back of their endzone.

Professor Chaos
October 3rd, 2016, 05:44 PM
Any defensive score (including a safety) ends the game in a college overtime.

ORRRRR....

offense runs to the 5yd line and fumbles. while the ball is still rolling but clearly coming to a stop on the 4yd line, defense intentionally bats the ball out of the back of their endzone.
I'm not positive about the college rule but in the NFL that's supposed to be a penalty on the defense which gives the opposing offense the ball back. That debate came up in a Seahawks game last year when the officials missed that call: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kj-wright-admits-to-intentionally-batting-ball-out-of-end-zone/

Penguin Nation
October 3rd, 2016, 05:47 PM

Sycamore62
October 3rd, 2016, 05:54 PM
Any defensive score (including a safety) ends the game in a college overtime.

I'm not positive about the college rule but in the NFL that's supposed to be a penalty on the defense which gives the opposing offense the ball back. That debate came up in a Seahawks game last year when the officials missed that call: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kj-wright-admits-to-intentionally-batting-ball-out-of-end-zone/

I think the batting has to do whether you bat it forward or backward

The Yo Show
October 3rd, 2016, 08:49 PM
2 pm Northern Iowa @ South Dakota-Midco/ESPN3

2 pm North Dakota State @ Missouri State-NBD ND/ESPN3

2 pm Youngstown State @ Illinois State-CSN/ESPN3

3 pm Indiana State @ Western Illinois-MVC/ESPN3

6 pm South Dakota State @ Southern Illinois-ESPN3

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2016, 09:00 PM
safety happens to the team who had the ball 2nd.....check mate

That would be 5-0.

BisonTru
October 3rd, 2016, 09:14 PM
ORRRRR....

Alright, someone tell me where I'm wrong on this one. The Redbirds have the ball in the second overtime first and throw an interception which is dumbly returned out of the endzone then fumbled and recovered back in the endzone by YSU. Safety. 2-0 Redbirds. YSU gets the ball and kicks a FG to win the game. 3-2 YSU.

Professor Chaos
October 3rd, 2016, 10:08 PM
Alright, someone tell me where I'm wrong on this one. The Redbirds have the ball in the second overtime first and throw an interception which is dumbly returned out of the endzone then fumbled and recovered back in the endzone by YSU. Safety. 2-0 Redbirds. YSU gets the ball and kicks a FG to win the game. 3-2 YSU.
That is possible. Technically the offense would've scored the safety for their possession. Only way possible that a safety wouldn't end the game in OT.

I wonder how the NFL would handle that if it happened on the first possession of OT? Technically each team had a possession by their OT definition. I would assume the team with the ball to start would win then by virtue of the safety. Has to be the only way an NFL OT game could end without a TD being scored and the 2nd team's offense never seeing the field. That makes my head spin.

CappinHard
October 3rd, 2016, 10:09 PM

Agreed. This is what I said earlier.

BisonTru
October 4th, 2016, 12:46 AM
I wonder how the NFL would handle that if it happened on the first possession of OT? Technically each team had a possession by their OT definition. I would assume the team with the ball to start would win then by virtue of the safety. Has to be the only way an NFL OT game could end without a TD being scored and the 2nd team's offense never seeing the field. That makes my head spin.

Going to the NFL.

Does the interception count as possession? Let's say the defense intercepts the ball then fumbles and recovered by the offense. Could they kick a FG to win since technically both teams had possession?

Then on the interception/safety issue. If that plays out and the interception doesn't count towards possession. The first team to have possession would have scored two points, but also if it's a safety shouldn't the team that forced the safety receive the next possession which would be the team that had the first possession?

IDK that answer to any of these. Just interesting thoughts coming from one obviously not very serious prediction.

Thumper 76
October 4th, 2016, 01:08 AM
Going to the NFL.

Does the interception count as possession? Let's say the defense intercepts the ball then fumbles and recovered by the offense. Could they kick a FG to win since technically both teams had possession?

Then on the interception/safety issue. If that plays out and the interception doesn't count towards possession. The first team to have possession would have scored two points, but also if it's a safety shouldn't the team that forced the safety receive the next possession which would be the team that had the first possession?

IDK that answer to any of these. Just interesting thoughts coming from one obviously not very serious prediction.

I'm not sure on the safety for college OT rules, but I'm pretty sure an interception counts as a possession, because if the defensive back fumbles it it starts a new set of downs from the spot it was recovered. At least I think so anyways.

Professor Chaos
October 4th, 2016, 03:58 AM
Going to the NFL.

I'm not sure on the safety for college OT rules, but I'm pretty sure an interception counts as a possession, because if the defensive back fumbles it it starts a new set of downs from the spot it was recovered. At least I think so anyways.

Yeah, I would think by NFL OT rules that would count as a possession but by college OT rules it wouldn't. No factual basis for that beyond that's what would make sense to me. I can see the Vikings blowing a playoff game that way without their offense ever having a chance to touch the ball and the NFL changing that rule, that's generally how the NFL OT rules evolved a few years back.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Team A may actually win the game on the safety since both teams have technically had a possession in the quarter (ot1 or 2 or whatever) and possesions have gone a-b-a by rule.

The college rules are way different in OT.

For example in your double turnover play Where A throws an interception or whatever and then B fumbles it back to A, A is not awarded a 1st and 10 like they would be because of change of possession in regulation.

My best advice would be to read the rule book, in which it is probably not addressed. Because this has never happened.

ysubigred
October 4th, 2016, 07:10 AM

xthumbsupx:D

ysubigred
October 4th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Team A may actually win the game on the safety since both teams have technically had a possession in the quarter (ot1 or 2 or whatever) and possesions have gone a-b-a by rule.

The college rules are way different in OT.

For example in your double turnover play Where A throws an interception or whatever and then B fumbles it back to A, A is not awarded a 1st and 10 like they would be because of change of possession in regulation.

My best advice would be to read the rule book, in which it is probably not addressed. Because this has never happened.

With MVFC ref's anything is possible xlolxxrolleyesx

UNIFanSince1983
October 4th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I don't know if it was before the rule change in the NFL, but in 2013 the Dolphins beat my Bengals in overtime with a walk-off safety.

Bisonator
October 4th, 2016, 09:12 AM
It's possible.

Team A has the ball to start OT. They kick a FG making it 3-0.

Team B gets their chance. They fumble it or throw an interception in the field of play and the Team A player is tackled in the endzone for a safety. Making it 3-2 to end the game.

Obviously the smart play would be to just take a knee as soon as you recover or intercept it.

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2016, 09:24 AM
I think that once a turnover happens, the play is over so it would have to be some weird way the Defense was responsible for getting the ball in their endzone otherwise it would be a "touchback" that's why I thought batting a ball rather than "muffing" it in the endzone could cause it. I could see 5 15yd penalties getting the offense back to their 7.5yd line then an intentional grounding causing a safety.

it used to say that a safety (in high school) on an extra point was worth 1 point. so im taking YSU winning 6-1 in 2OTs.

Bisonator
October 4th, 2016, 09:30 AM
I think that once a turnover happens, the play is over so it would have to be some weird way the Defense was responsible for getting the ball in their endzone otherwise it would be a "touchback" that's why I thought batting a ball rather than "muffing" it in the endzone could cause it. I could see 5 15yd penalties getting the offense back to their 7.5yd line then an intentional grounding causing a safety.

it used to say that a safety (in high school) on an extra point was worth 1 point. so im taking YSU winning 6-1 in 2OTs.
The play isn't over until the player that intercepts it or recovers a fumble is down.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Missouri State must really want some butts in their stadium for this game, selling tickets for $5 or 2 for $5.....something like that.

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2016, 10:55 AM
The play isn't over until the player that intercepts it or recovers a fumble is down.

you cant return a fumble or int for a touchdown so are we sure its not immediately down?

Professor Chaos
October 4th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Back to some actual picks...

Northern Iowa @ South Dakota - The Coyotes go back into their annual MVFC conference season swoon.

North Dakota St @ Missouri St - They may actually have a half decent crowd in Springfield. I think this is a good thing for the Bison because they've tended to sleepwalk down there with the usual atmosphere (or lack thereof).

Youngstown State @ Illinois St - The Redbirds play inspired with their backs against the wall and the Penguins are due for a head scratcher (and I need to make up ground in the standings).

Indiana St @ Western Illinois - I finally picked a WIU game right last week (woo-hoo!). This week I think their the least down of two teams in a swoon after last week.

South Dakota St @ Southern Illinois - See above about making up ground in the standings. I'll take a stab that this is a shootout and the last team with the ball wins (hopefully that's the Salukis).

Professor Chaos
October 4th, 2016, 11:19 AM

Yeah, I'm fairly sure the defense can return a fumble or interception on the first possession of an overtime and that wins the game. It's frickin hard to find an example but I did find this game recap of a D2 game in 2013 that ended in overtime on a pick 6: http://chadroneagles.com/news/2013/9/5/FB_0905134432.aspx

So unless that rule recently changed the defense can score in a college OT.

Bisonator
October 4th, 2016, 11:26 AM
you cant return a fumble or int for a touchdown so are we sure its not immediately down?

That's not true. The player has to be down to end the play. Either by being tackled or taking a knee.

The ball could still be fumbled back to the other team.

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2016, 11:41 AM
I guess I was thinking of all the times the 2nd team who had already scored made the INT

Twentysix
October 5th, 2016, 01:25 AM
It's possible.

Team B gets their chance. They fumble it or throw an interception in the field of play and the Team A player is tackled in the endzone for a safety. Making it 3-2 to end the game.

Obviously the smart play would be to just take a knee as soon as you recover or intercept it.

Well now we know its possible!

Twentysix
October 5th, 2016, 01:28 AM
It's possible.

So I'm pretty sure I've seen something similar to this happen in a real game and the refs blew the ball dead and declared the game over as soon as the INT occurred causing A to win. It seems weird, but thats how I remember it. It could have been a mess up by the refs.

BisonTru
October 5th, 2016, 12:51 PM

Sycamore62
October 5th, 2016, 01:50 PM
we (ISUb) lost 3 offensive lineman in the 2nd qtr last week vs MSU. Im not sure how that happens. maybe a 3 man head butt celebration

Schism55
October 5th, 2016, 08:21 PM
we (ISUb) lost 3 offensive lineman in the 2nd qtr last week vs MSU. Im not sure how that happens. maybe a 3 man head butt celebration
Dang, that's harsh. What's the status for those 3 going forward?

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2016, 09:21 PM
UNI
NDSU
YSU
WIU
SIU and SDSU both have QBs with a completion rate around 70% and throwing for around 300 yards/game. Could be a shootout. Should be entertaining.

Sycamore62
October 5th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Dang, that's harsh. What's the status for those 3 going forward?

as of monday they were still trying to pass protocol. also lost a CB who (i assume) tore his patellar tendon on a kickoff return which makes me sick to my stomach thinking of.

our program is a million miles from being able to absorb many injuries

Thumper 76
October 5th, 2016, 10:00 PM
SIU and SDSU both have QBs with a completion rate around 70% and throwing for around 300 yards/game. Could be a shootout. Should be entertaining.

Very true. Still fairly confident in our offense being able to outscore most teams with averaging 45 points per game. Still don't want a shootout in the slightest cause that is most certainly how an upset will happen in this one. I'm starting to worry because I'm feeling confident like I was before the Cal Poly game, and that didn't work out real great.

MR. CHICKEN
October 6th, 2016, 11:31 AM
NORTHERN IOWA
NORTH DAKOTA STATE
YOUNGSTOWN STATE
WESTERN ILLINOIS
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

frozennorth
October 6th, 2016, 01:13 PM
This weeks match ups:

Road teams and WIU

underdawg
October 6th, 2016, 03:39 PM
SIU 125 SDSU Bunnies 123 final score

underdawg
October 6th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Very true. Still fairly confident in our offense being able to outscore most teams with averaging 45 points per game. Still don't want a shootout in the slightest cause that is most certainly how an upset will happen in this one. I'm starting to worry because I'm feeling confident like I was before the Cal Poly game, and that didn't work out real great.

Don't worry thumper, we rarely run the triple option

TheKingpin28
October 6th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Northern Iowa
North Dakota State
Youngstown State
Western Illinois
South Dakota State

Oh and for the bonus point, YSU makes the playoffs this year! #bookit

JimmyJack
October 6th, 2016, 07:52 PM

Thank goodness.

Kemo
October 6th, 2016, 08:31 PM

What do you mean, "rarely"?! xninjax

X-Factor
October 7th, 2016, 06:11 PM
NORTHERN IOWA
NORTH DAKOTA STATE
ILLINOIS STATE
WESTERN ILLINOIS
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

CappinHard
October 8th, 2016, 12:32 AM
Does anyone else think a total of 47.5 for the NDSU/MSU game seems low? MSU seems to have something going with their passing game, which could exploit seemingly the only weakness of a very stout NDSU defense, their pass defense. Not saying MSU will get anywhere close to winning, but from a points perspective, I think NDSU will get close to scoring 48 on their own, shouldn't take much from MSU to hit the over here.

Twentysix
October 8th, 2016, 02:44 AM
Does anyone else think a total of 47.5 for the NDSU/MSU game seems low? MSU seems to have something going with their passing game, which could exploit seemingly the only weakness of a very stout NDSU defense, their pass defense. Not saying MSU will get anywhere close to winning, but from a points perspective, I think NDSU will get close to scoring 48 on their own, shouldn't take much from MSU to hit the over here.

Probably.