PDA

View Full Version : Is CSU a playoff team? - CCU vs CSU

Twentysix
October 1st, 2016, 05:40 PM
CCU walloping CSU 21-7 right now.

http://www.goccusports.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mfootbl.html?event=1488035&school=coas&sport=mfootbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

BisonTru
October 1st, 2016, 05:46 PM
It gets really simple if they can't come back in this one. Winning out is the only way they can get to 6 D1 wins, and that would mean they get the auto. They have to get the auto to make the playoffs if Coastal hangs on.

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2016, 06:10 PM
Coastal upping our SOS right now.

Twentysix
October 1st, 2016, 06:17 PM
CSU clawing their way back in. 17-21 now. CCU still up.

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2016, 06:17 PM
Is it on ESPN?

Twentysix
October 1st, 2016, 06:18 PM
Is it on ESPN?

I don't think it has a stream. I really question how CCU is going to FBS and they don't even have video capabilities.

Bison56
October 1st, 2016, 06:30 PM
I don't think it has a stream. I really question how CCU is going to FBS and they don't even have video capabilities.

They have colored turf.

PantherRob82
October 1st, 2016, 06:46 PM
CSU in the lead.

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2016, 06:52 PM
My guess is that their games were carried by the Big South like how ours are streamed on the OVCDN. Since they aren't actually Big South members this year they may have just not bothered with trying to find another outlet to stream their games.

Coastal has 125 yards rushing. Triple what they had against us. :D

Twentysix
October 1st, 2016, 07:45 PM
CSU leading 38-35 9 minutes left in the game.

Bisonwinagn
October 1st, 2016, 08:13 PM
OT tied at 45

dgtw
October 1st, 2016, 08:16 PM
They have colored turf.

Imagining hearing "colored turf" in Archie's voice is funny to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
October 1st, 2016, 08:39 PM
Well, I guess the answer is yes. They just won in 2OT when they blocked the XP.

Bisonwinagn
October 1st, 2016, 08:40 PM
59-58 CSU in 2 OT's

Twentysix
October 1st, 2016, 08:41 PM
good job CSU.

X-Factor
October 1st, 2016, 08:41 PM
59-58 CSU in 2 OT's

Congrats CSU! That one has to give a few fans cardiac arrest.

PantherRob82
October 1st, 2016, 08:44 PM
Still seems like they need the autobid.

ElCid
October 1st, 2016, 08:48 PM

Yeah, but the way things are going, doesn't look that will be a problem.

PantherRob82
October 1st, 2016, 08:52 PM
Yeah, but the way things are going, doesn't look that will be a problem.

True. Although if you look at the goofy stuff that has happened this far they might get an at-large. A lot of teams refuse to step up.

BisonTru
October 1st, 2016, 09:10 PM

FBSish win, taking NDSU to the wire. I think they have enough to weather a loss and make it in. It does depend on who and how that loss occurs. They should win out tho.

Southern Bison
October 1st, 2016, 09:10 PM
After watching the JSU/Liberty game in person last week, Liberty won't stop CSU and neither will anyone else in the Big South this season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
October 1st, 2016, 09:18 PM
After watching the JSU/Liberty game in person last week, Liberty won't stop CSU and neither will anyone else in the Big South this season.

...and there's no way that Missouri State could beat Indiana State in the road after Indiana State beat Illinois State who beat Northwestern.

Southern Bison
October 1st, 2016, 09:21 PM
...and there's no way that Missouri State could beat Indiana State in the road after Indiana State beat Illinois State who beat Northwestern.
We're talking about the BigSouth...not necessarily on the same level as the MVFC

BisonFan02
October 1st, 2016, 09:22 PM
CSU will win the Big South autobid. Dangerous team if they can put it all together.

KPSUL
October 1st, 2016, 09:23 PM

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk Nor will any remaining OOC opponent: Albany (Div 2 Georgia, not the ranked CAA team) or the "other" Bison (Bucknell). Of course they will be a playoff team.

Southern Bison
October 1st, 2016, 09:29 PM
Nor will any remaining OOC opponent: Albany (Div 2 Georgia, not the ranked CAA team) or the "other" Bison (Bucknell). Of course they will be a playoff team.
BTW, great to meet you last week at the game!

dgtw
October 1st, 2016, 10:29 PM

....that beat Iowa who lost to NDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSU18
October 1st, 2016, 10:31 PM
CSU is a playoff team and probably seeded playoff team. Anyone who takes is lightly will be sadly disappointed afterwards if they think otherwise. JSU is a great team that beat Coastal by 1 at home - going on the road in a rivalry game and coming away with a W is impressive.

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2016, 10:45 PM
CSU is a playoff team and probably seeded playoff team. Anyone who takes is lightly will be sadly disappointed afterwards if they think otherwise. JSU is a great team that beat Coastal by 1 at home - going on the road in a rivalry game and coming away with a W is impressive.
What's the last time a team with 7 D1 wins was seeded?

CSU18
October 1st, 2016, 10:49 PM

When's the last time a 7 D1 team went wire to wire with the 5 time defending national champ and lost to a top 10 FBS team?????

- - - Updated - - -

Not trolling - just asking?

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2016, 10:53 PM
When's the last time a 7 D1 team went wire to wire with the 5 time defending national champ and lost to a top 10 FBS team?????

- - - Updated - - -

Losing to FSU doesn't really matter much considering they aren't a top 10 team anymore and are currently imploding. Any team can go to Tallahassee and get whipped. Chatty did last year and it didn't earn them a seed.

UNI had 7 wins last year and took NDSU to the wire and wasn't seeded.

BigSouthFan
October 1st, 2016, 11:05 PM

It just depends on the rest of the field. Committee seeded CSU last year with 8 D1 wins and 2 of them were against 1st year start up programs. You think they weren't aware of that? Win out this year and their 2016 resume will be as good or better than the 2015 one.

After all, it's all about looks. CSU will be a sexy looking team come selection time, cause they will likely be on a 7-game win streak including tonight, 9-2, and probably top 5 in the polls due to others that will lose games (they are 8th in Coaches, 10 in STATS).

Do you think the committee would pass on seeding a #4 ranked, 9-2, 7 game win streak, CSU team that everyone fell in love with on ESPN in Week 0 and was a FG away from taking down the Bison? Heck, it would be hard for me regardless of the SOS.

PantherRob82
October 1st, 2016, 11:14 PM

Yeah, us message board posters better make sure we prepare real hard for that game. xrolleyesx

PantherRob82
October 1st, 2016, 11:16 PM
In 2015 they didn't play 2 sub D-1 opponents.

BigSouthFan
October 1st, 2016, 11:18 PM
In 2015 they didn't play 2 sub D-1 opponents.
Valid. All I'm saying is that the committee seeded them knowing they played 2 startup programs. FCS or not, there's a number of D3 schools that could of beaten ETSU last year.

BigSouthFan
October 1st, 2016, 11:22 PM
1 D2, 2 FBS. 2 D2, 1 FBS. 3 games that don't do anything for your stock, regardless of how you spin it.

PantherRob82
October 1st, 2016, 11:26 PM
1 D2, 2 FBS. 2 D2, 1 FBS. 3 games that don't do anything for your stock, regardless of how you spin it.

When your best win is an OT loss you learn about spin. ;)

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2016, 11:28 PM
When your best win is an OT loss you learn about spin. ;)
#butNDSU?

PantherRob82
October 1st, 2016, 11:34 PM
#butNDSU?

Or when your best win is a loss in the National Championship....wait....shiiiiii xbawlingx

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2016, 12:24 AM
Or when your best win is a loss in the National Championship....wait....shiiiiii xbawlingx

xlolx hah have some rep to get over it.

dudeitsaid
October 2nd, 2016, 12:39 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, CSU's got my respect. But I think it will really come down to what the top of the field looks like come selection time. I think CSU winning out, and winning most of your games handily is the best way to make that point. And if you guys do that, I do see a seed as being a possibility with the performance against NDSU being what pushes you over the edge.

But if most of your wins aren't convincing, and there are a good number of strong teams with better records, I don't see a seed, even at 7-4. Just my opinion.

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2016, 01:27 AM
Personally, CSU's got my respect. But I think it will really come down to what the top of the field looks like come selection time. I think CSU winning out, and winning most of your games handily is the best way to make that point. And if you guys do that, I do see a seed as being a possibility with the performance against NDSU being what pushes you over the edge.

But if most of your wins aren't convincing, and there are a good number of strong teams with better records, I don't see a seed, even at 7-4. Just my opinion.

Perhaps you meant this, but they would be 7-2 (9-2 with 2 d2 wins)

CID1990
October 2nd, 2016, 10:04 PM
Of COURSE they are a playoff team. They are going to be the Big South auto bud and will win at least two games in the playoffs

This is a dumb thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dudeitsaid
October 2nd, 2016, 10:20 PM
Perhaps you meant this, but they would be 7-2 (9-2 with 2 d2 wins)

LOL, brainfart! Yeah, that's what I meant...thinking of the 7 D1 wins.

Bucs2016
October 3rd, 2016, 09:35 AM
Of COURSE they are a playoff team. They are going to be the Big South auto bud and will win at least two games in the playoffs

This is a dumb thread

Hope so. But our biggest threat now is getting overconfident and slipping. Liberty, Kennesaw St, PC and GWU are all good enough to beat us. None of those 4 are pushovers. These couple non conference games come at a perfect time for us to refocus and get over the Coastal win.

I can say this. If we end up with CSU vs Citadel again in playoffs I hope its downtown at your place. It was fun at ours. But I don't want the ticket panic again.

BigSouthFan
October 3rd, 2016, 09:41 AM
Hope so. But our biggest threat now is getting overconfident and slipping. Liberty, Kennesaw St, PC and GWU are all good enough to beat us. None of those 4 are pushovers. These couple non conference games come at a perfect time for us to refocus and get over the Coastal win.

I can say this. If we end up with CSU vs Citadel again in playoffs I hope its downtown at your place. It was fun at ours. But I don't want the ticket panic again.

Ehh. You're being modest. I don't think any of those 4 teams are good enough to beat you guys this year. Liberty is Liberty (Turner Gill needs to go). My Blue Hose lost to a D2. Badly. GWU is improved, but all that means is you probably beat them 42-14 instead of 42-0. Good coachspeak though!

Mayville Bison
October 3rd, 2016, 10:06 AM

They'll always have Auburn

BigSouthFan
October 3rd, 2016, 10:42 AM

This is a dumb thread

Agreed, pretty pointless. I think it just stemmed from early assumption that they were gonna get their butts kicked because they were down 21-7 early. More of a shot at them as to say "they aren't that good after all". Butttttt, we all know what ASSuming does, correct? xlolx

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 10:48 AM

Ehh. You're being modest. I don't think any of those 4 teams are good enough to beat you guys this year. Liberty is Liberty (Turner Gill needs to go). My Blue Hose lost to a D2. Badly. GWU is improved, but all that means is you probably beat them 42-14 instead of 42-0. Good coachspeak though!

G-W and Liberty are is good enough to beat them. They have both just been inconsistent. Probably not KSU or PC. I hope we do meet CSU again this year but our stadium is not in that good of shape with half of it closed. I guess they are emergency refurb'ing part to get 3K more seats but holy crap, that is a bad situation.

JSUSoutherner
October 3rd, 2016, 10:55 AM
They'll always have Auburn
Or Sam Houston State.

Bucs2016
October 3rd, 2016, 10:58 AM

Well....we would've won the Big South auto bid in 2014...but we slipped and lost to PC. Last year we barely beat Liberty. And we play there this year. In the 25 years of playing Liberty we have only 2 wins in Lynchburg (2000, 2014). Kennesaw runs the option and is a program on the rise. Probably a win but the option is always dangerous. And GWU...should be a win. Yes.

Yes...we *should* win them all. I'm most worried about Lynchburg. Always been hard on us there.

BigSouthFan
October 3rd, 2016, 10:59 AM
G-W and Liberty are is good enough to beat them. They have both just been inconsistent. Probably not KSU or PC. I hope we do meet CSU again this year but our stadium is not in that good of shape with half of it closed. I guess they are emergency refurb'ing part to get 3K more seats but holy crap, that is a bad situation.

Well, I worded wrong. When CSU is playing the way they are capable of playing, they shouldn't be beat by any of those teams. I think Jamie Chadwell does a good job making sure they do. Cause yes, a lot of teams are good enough to beat anybody on any given Saturday.

By the way, that is a situation I haven't read up on much, with your stadium's stands deteriorating over there. What's the latest?

Bucs2016
October 3rd, 2016, 11:06 AM

Oh yeah I forgot yall have that stadium situation going on. Seeing as we only draw 4,000 for our own home games if there are 3,000 temporary it'd be fine. You know what would be cool though? Add another 5000 temporary at Blackbaud Stadium on Daniel Island and play it there. Neutral site. Invite Hootie to play or other SC bands who are not as famous but still big. Make a huge show out of it.

I hope they put us in opposite brackets. They wont. But it'd be nice to have both schools in the 3rd round playing each other.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2016, 11:13 AM
Well, I worded wrong. When CSU is playing the way they are capable of playing, they shouldn't be beat by any of those teams. I think Jamie Chadwell does a good job making sure they do. Cause yes, a lot of teams are good enough to beat anybody on any given Saturday.

By the way, that is a situation I haven't read up on much, with your stadium's stands deteriorating over there. What's the latest?

The stands are currently closed due to lead paint issues. They are fixing 3K of those to make them habitable for this weekend. with only 12K or so seats available right now, we may need then for parents weekend this Sat, unless Matthew dictates otherwise. The only permanent fix will be to tear the whole side down and rebuild. Probably will not be done until 2018 opening, if that fast.

CID1990
October 3rd, 2016, 11:33 AM

If we somehow get the SoCon autobid (not my prediction at this point) then a meeting between El Cid and CSU would almost certainly be at JHS. If we aren't the outright SoCon champs then we won't be seeded and the game will certainly be at CSU.

I can see your AD acquiescing to the upcoming regular season games all being at JHS (it makes financial sense for both schools) but he would be a fool to give up home field advantage in the playoffs, no matter how small the facility is.