PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Convention: 12th Game Vote, Recruiting, Etc

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Quite a few interesting issues to be discussed this weekend...

Among issues to be discussed during the annual NCAA Convention today through Monday in Orlando, Fla.:

• Coaches' salaries
Nick Saban's eight-year, $32 million contract to coach Alabama's football team -- with the potential for up to $800,000 annually in bonuses -- sets the market at a new high. As the Chronicle of Higher Education observed, that's seven times the salary of the school's president, not including Saban's potential bonuses.

The NCAA can't impose a cap on salaries. That's against antitrust law. At the same time, NCAA president Myles Brand might have to explain the situation at a possible congressional hearing on the tax-exempt status of college sports.

• Text-messaging
There are rule proposals to limit or ban the ability of coaches to send text messages to recruits. Text messages are electronic notes sent to cell phones.

• Transfer of incoming graduate students
Schools in Division I will vote on whether to override a rule that allows players who have graduated but still have athletic eligibility remaining to transfer without penalty for graduate school. (Normally, transfers in football and basketball require an athlete to sit out one year.)

• 12th game in Division I-AA football
Schools will vote on whether to override a rule that allows 12 regular-season football games in Division I-AA, which the NCAA is now calling the Football Championship Subdivision. (Division I-A schools were recently allowed a 12th game, and that won't be affected.)

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070105/SPORTS/701050432/-1/ZONES04

MplsBison
January 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I think the 12 game schedule will pass.

CSU BUCS
January 5th, 2007, 03:47 PM

I hope not.

FlyYtown
January 5th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I hope so, YSU needs to strengthen up their schedule a tad bit more this year.

SDSU is tough in FCS, but that seems to be it NON-CONF.

PSUVikings
January 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM

I hope so

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm assuming we'll hear something in a matter of hours...if not less!

Wonder what kind of rush of action we'll see after it's announced as I'm presuming a few teams have deals already worked out if it passes...namely the whole Montana St/NDSU issue...

GOKATS
January 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I'm assuming we'll hear something in a matter of hours...if not less!

Wonder what kind of rush of action we'll see after it's announced as I'm presuming a few teams have deals already worked out if it passes...namely the whole Montana St/NDSU issue...

I could easily be wrong, but it seems like I read that the 12 game vote won't be until Monday.

Hammersmith
January 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM
It should've happened between 4:00 and 5:30 today(Sat). Anyone have any word?

JohnStOnge
January 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I hope not.

Why? Nobody has to schedule 12 if they don't want to.

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Still no word?

All I'm seeing is Myles Brand discussing minority coaches in football...

Also seeing that, "The Football Bowl Subdivision did vote to override a piece of legislation passed just a year ago that allowed students who had graduated academically, but still had athletic eligibility left, to transfer without having to sit out a year. The rule applied to the top football division, men's and women's basketball and men's ice hockey. Though only 25 athletes took advantage of it, some schools thought it turned athletes who graduated early into free agents for other schools to recruit."

Hammersmith
January 6th, 2007, 10:05 PM
12 game season did not pass. 52% against.

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2007, 10:07 PM
12 game season did not pass. 52% against.

Any chance you can provide us insight into what universities voted FOR and/or AGAINST? :read:

Hammersmith
January 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Any chance you can provide us insight into what universities voted FOR and/or AGAINST? :read:
Sorry, that's all I know.

MplsBison
January 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM
This pretty much guarantees an 11 week regular season and 5 week playoff.

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM
This pretty much guarantees an 11 week regular season and 5 week playoff.

What makes you think that? :confused:

FlyYtown
January 6th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Dammit, that is pathetic!

It wasn't even gonna be a mandatory 12th game!

Mr. Tiger
January 6th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I really was hoping this would pass. With the 9-game mandate in the SWAC and our big rivalry game against the OVC's Tenn. State, Jackson State only has one opening for a non-conference team. :nonono2:

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I really was hoping this would pass. With the 9-game mandate in the SWAC and our big rivalry game against the OVC's Tenn. State, Jackson State only has one opening for a non-conference team. :nonono2:

Perhaps this vote not going successful for the SWAC will lead to the SWAC tossing the nine-game mandate...atleast, that is what one would hope, right?

R.A.
January 6th, 2007, 11:54 PM
What's the logic for voting against it?

GRZZ
January 7th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Maybe some people think the season is already long enough? Or maybe some fear that a 12th game could cost some of the smaller schools at our level money while the bigger schools would probably benefit? I don't know...these are guesses.

Bison_Kent
January 7th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I am somewhat suprised in the vote. It will make several Great West teams' schedules very tough to fill, along with the Gateway teams, I am guessing. Having the 12th game likely would have meant more FCS vs. FCS out-of-conference matchups. Since the BCS teams can count a FCS team for a bowl win every year, that took out many of the top out-of-conference FCS games.

blueballs
January 7th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Here is a recap from the Orlando fishwrap regarding the vote for the 12th game in the FCS as well as the graduate transfer rule:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-ncaa0707jan07,0,1150858.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Here is a recap from the Orlando fishwrap regarding the vote for the 12th game in the FCS as well as the graduate transfer rule:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-ncaa0707jan07,0,1150858.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

Thanks for the post...

Glad to see the SLC Commish and the SLC for moving to 12 games. He says it clearly, we don't know where we are going from here...:bang:

MplsBison
January 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Probably a 5 week playoff.

henfan
January 8th, 2007, 09:01 AM
A good move! Thankfully, schools put the best interests of the student-athletes ahead of pure profit motives. :thumbsup:

Academic issues aside (as if they should EVER be cast aside!), adding an extra regular season game would have done nothing but de-value the guarantee amounts FCS schools command from FBS schools and eliminated open dates. If the option was there to play 12, almost every school interested in competiting for playoff slots would have scheduled 12 (see 2002, 2003, and 2008 as evidence.)

Besides, there's already an option available for D-I schools interested in playing 12 regular season games: it's called the FBS. Any school not interested in cost containment D-I FB can reclassify.

And, as Tom Burnett, said, there remains no clear cut support to add an extra week to the season by expanding the playoffs. Looks like no changes are on the horizon for several years.:thumbsup:

89Hen
January 8th, 2007, 09:04 AM
What's the logic for voting against it?
11 is enough. A 12th game would most likely be used for a second I-A game which makes playoff selection very difficult, not to mention if some teams only play 11. A national champion would have to play 16 games. What is the logic to vote for it?... money.

OL FU
January 8th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Maybe some people think the season is already long enough? Or maybe some fear that a 12th game could cost some of the smaller schools at our level money while the bigger schools would probably benefit? I don't know...these are guesses.

I think that is probably. at least partially, the answer. Someone said it would not be mandatory, but I am sure that schools that want to compete at the top level of FCS would feel compelled to schedule 12 right along with everyone else. So if you are a school that participates regularly in the playoffs, you just turned a potential 15 week schedule into a potential 16 week schedule.

If we are going to play and extra week then expand the playoffs.

carney2
January 8th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Beyond allowing those very few CS schools with large stadiums that are filled every week to schedule one more home game and make more money, and allowing some schools the opportunity to fish for another BS game and make more money, I am drawing a blank as to why most posters to this thread think that the 12th game is so desirable. Will someone please enlighten me?

Oh yeah, the argument that "you don't have to schedule 12" is worthless. If we go to 12, virtually everyone except the Ivy League will schedule 12. Athletic administrators are like sheep. They line up nose to tail and follow one another around.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2007, 09:58 AM
If we go to 12, virtually everyone except the Ivy League will schedule 12.

Our AD already has said twice now that he would not schedule 12.

So you're already wrong.

89Hen
January 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM
And Nick Saban is NOT going to Alabama. ;)

MarkCCU
January 8th, 2007, 10:17 AM
One more weekend of football(from the fans POV of course) It sounds great

carney2
January 8th, 2007, 11:01 AM

So you're already wrong.

It's all just so much posturing and PR at this point. I'm betting that your guy would look around at what everyone else was doing and then shove his nose up under the tail of the guy in front of him (borrowing from the illustration I used in my prior post) and lock step along with the rest of them. We'll never know, will we?

Still unanswered: why do we want a 12th game? "One more weekend of football?" Lafayette would undoubtedly schedule themselves for yet another Ivy ass kicking. Now, there's something to look forward to.

henfan
January 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM
It's all just so much posturing and PR at this point. I'm betting that your guy would look around at what what everyone else was doing and then shove his nose up under the tail of the guy in front of him (borrowing from the illustration I used in my prior post) and lock step along with the rest of them. We'll never know, will we?

Sure we do. Gene Taylor would have scheduled 12, just like every other school. Below is what Taylor told the Fargo Forum just Saturday after the failed vote. His mind certainly wasn't closed to scheduling 12, as our resident Bison expert suggests.

Thankfully, Taylor won't have to face that decision.

NDSU did not get to vote on the 12th game issue because it is in its Division I transition period. After being initially opposed to the
proposal, Taylor said he had mixed feelings about it.

“I thought (12 games) would maybe open up some more I-AA
opponents,” he said.

Link:
http://urlsnip.com/291513

Col Hogan
January 8th, 2007, 12:24 PM
And Nick Saban is NOT going to Alabama. ;)

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

TexasTerror
January 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Thoughts on the vote from the CAA Commish...

Tom Yeager, the commissioner of the Colonial Athletic Association, noted these factors related to the FCS vote:

# Because the playoffs conclude by mid-December, teams' bye weeks would have been eliminated if they chose to play 12 regular-season games. Continuing playoff games beyond mid-December would run them into bowl season, and the NCAA doesn't want to do that.

# If they played 12 regular-season games, teams that advance to the FCS championship game would be playing for the 16th time in 16 weeks, too much in too condensed a stretch in the estimation of many administrators and coaches.

# Having another home date as part of a 12-game schedule would benefit those FCS programs that make money on home football weekends. Many FCS schools, however, do not.

Also, if some FCS teams chose to play 12 games and others were more comfortable with 11, determining recipients of the eight at-large bids to the 16-team playoffs would become more complicated.

This year, the CAA took over operational control of the football league that was the Atlantic 10 Conference.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149192734480&path=!sports&s=1045855934844