PDA

View Full Version : Time Clock Rules

89Hen
January 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Has anyone seen if the NCAA is going to review the changes they made this past year to starting the game clock on kickoffs and change of possessions? I hate the way it was this year.

AZGrizFan
January 5th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Has anyone seen if the NCAA is going to review the changes they made this past year to starting the game clock on kickoffs and change of possessions? I hate the way it was this year.

It blew. :bang: :bang:

Hopefully, they'll go back to the way it was. :thumbsup:

Fordham
January 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Wisconsin running offsides repeatedly on their KO against PSU was very frustrating for this Nittany Lion fan. It may have been a brilliant move but it really sucked from a competitiveness standpoint.

BlueHen86
January 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Wisconsin running offsides repeatedly on their KO against PSU was very frustrating for this Nittany Lion fan. It may have been a brilliant move but it really sucked from a competitiveness standpoint.
I didn't see what happened on that play (or plays), but I did read somewhere that the NCAA will at least make rule changes to prevent it from happening again.
Sounds like a brilliant idea by the Wisc. coaching staff.

I hope they go back to the 2005 rules, or something similiar. The current rules suck.

PantherRob82
January 5th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I didn;t mind it, but they should run original rules in the 4th quarter.

GOKATS
January 5th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I don't know if it's even on their agenda, but I hope it is. I hate the change and hope they go back to the '05 rule.

BTW, it really was a brilliant move by the Wisc. coach to take advantage of the rule change.

Sir William
January 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM

Ditto.

Lionsrking
January 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I didn't see what happened on that play (or plays), but I did read somewhere that the NCAA will at least make rule changes to prevent it from happening again.
Sounds like a brilliant idea by the Wisc. coaching staff.

I hope they go back to the 2005 rules, or something similiar. The current rules suck.

What happened again? I missed that one.

TheValleyRaider
January 5th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I've only heard about it, but I believe the Wisconsin-Penn State situation went something like this:

With only seconds to go, and Wisconsin having just taken the lead, the Badgers were kicking off. The kicking team ran offsides on the kick-off, meaning the ball had to be re-kicked from 5 yards back, but because the new rules state that the clock starts when the ball is kicked (unlike before,: where the clock started as soon as the recieving team touched the ball). Because the clock had already run down, and is not reset after an offsides penalty, Wisconsin was able to nearly run out the clock on the game without having given up anything to Penn State.

Someone who was actually watching the game would probably provide better details, but that's the gist of it.

patssle
January 6th, 2007, 12:35 AM
But I don't understand. There was a play during this past season where one of the teams (SHSU vs. somebody) was offsides on the kickoff (not on purpose), but the receiving team still got the ball. So how can there be 2 different rules.

windwalker
January 6th, 2007, 07:39 AM
But I don't understand. There was a play during this past season where one of the teams (SHSU vs. somebody) was offsides on the kickoff (not on purpose), but the receiving team still got the ball. So how can there be 2 different rules.

The receiving team can always decline the pentalty.

My look on the "speedupthegame" clock rules are this:
OK.. On a change of possession, start the clock on the 'ready to play' if and only if the play prior to the change was one that would not stop the clock. For example, if a team has a 4th and 5 and passes the ball and it is incomplete, then the clock would start on the snap.
In other words, I would like to see the rule changed back to the way it was 10 or so years ago.
The free kick rule with starting the clock when the ball is kicked is totally dumb. Really would like to know who on the rules committee had 'her' head up 'her' BU** when they wrote that one.

BEAR
January 6th, 2007, 11:14 AM
They SUCK!

Lionsrking
January 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I've only heard about it, but I believe the Wisconsin-Penn State situation went something like this:

With only seconds to go, and Wisconsin having just taken the lead, the Badgers were kicking off. The kicking team ran offsides on the kick-off, meaning the ball had to be re-kicked from 5 yards back, but because the new rules state that the clock starts when the ball is kicked (unlike before,: where the clock started as soon as the recieving team touched the ball). Because the clock had already run down, and is not reset after an offsides penalty, Wisconsin was able to nearly run out the clock on the game without having given up anything to Penn State.

Someone who was actually watching the game would probably provide better details, but that's the gist of it.

The receiving team has the option of taking the five yard penalty on the return so that shouldn't have been a problem. I didn't see the game and I don't know the exact circumstances, but from the way you guys explained it, sounds like Penn State screwed up by making Wisconsin rekick.

patssle
January 6th, 2007, 11:45 AM
ok, so if the receiving team can decline the penalty...the Wisoncsin coach isn't a genius...the Penn State coach is a dumbass for not declining the pently and instead of having a fit on the sidelines.

Fordham
January 6th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Wisconsin Finds Loophole In Speed Up Rule (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-06-clock-loophole_x.htm)

Wisconsin finds loophole in speed-up rule
Updated 11/7/2006 1:32 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this

MAKING MOST OF TIME

00:23 remaining
Wisconsin intentionally goes offside on a kickoff that Penn State's A.J. Wallace returns to the 10-yard line. Penn State accepts the penalty. Nine seconds go off the clock.

00:14 remaining
Badgers rekick and again intentionally go offside; PSU is called for holding so penalties offset. Ten seconds go off the clock.

00:04 remaining
A squib kick is returned by Penn State's Patrick Hall, who fumbles. Badgers recover, but time expires.

By Jack Carey, USA TODAY
Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema isn't a fan of college football's new speed-up-the-game rule that mandates the clock starts when a ball is kicked off rather than when it's received. But if Bielema can use the rule to his team's advantage, he will, and that's just what he did Saturday against Penn State.
With Wisconsin having just gone ahead 10-3, Bielema, 36, twice had his team intentionally go offside on kickoffs in the last 23 seconds of the first half, minimizing Penn State's chances to score. The two penalized kicks took 19 seconds off the clock and left Penn State coach Joe Paterno, 79, livid and complaining to officials.

SPORTS SCOPE: Your thoughts about the loophole logic?

VIDEO: See Wisconsin running out the first-half clock (YouTube.com)

Wisconsin athletics director and former coach Barry Alvarez said Monday that a discussion he had with Big Ten game officials during the summer helped devise the strategy.

"We had a scrimmage which was worked by a crew of Big Ten officials, and I was visiting with them and discussing how the new rule could change the game," Alvarez said. "They gave me that specific instance, so I mentioned it to Bret and the staff. I haven't been game-planning, but they have, and it makes sense to do it."

Bielema, whose team won 13-3, said Monday that while he doesn't necessarily agree with the rule, "I knew the rule and wanted to maximize it. ... It worked exactly as we envisioned it. It's something we practice. My guess is, with the attention we've received, there may be an (amendment)."

Alvarez said he thinks the remedy is simple: Amend the rule so in the last two minutes of a game or a half, the clock starts when the ball is touched.

Former Georgia coach Vince Dooley, who chaired the NCAA football rules committee when he coached, said there's nothing new about coaches using loopholes to their advantage. "Coaches are innovative," he said. "They find ways to be within the rules but take advantage of situations."

ABC broadcaster Paul Maguire said Wisconsin's tactic was the most creative thing he's seen in games he's worked this season. Others have found it fascinating as well. Video of the final 23 seconds has been posted on the popular online site Youtube.com.

"Whenever you put a rule in," Maguire said, "they ought to find the smartest guy in college football and have him look at every single scenario there could be."

Video: Wisconsin Runs Out the First-Half Clock on Penn State (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp5WM94UOBg)

The real problem with the whole thing is when the offsides is so blatent take a look and see how quickly the defenders reach the returner. There's no doubt that it's putting him at increased risk of injury as they have more momentum and such a head start/advantage on the blockers.

bluehenbillk
January 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM
From what I heard during the season the most likely outcome is it'll be as it was for the '06 season except for the last 2 minutes of each half.

Lionsrking
January 6th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Wisconsin Finds Loophole In Speed Up Rule (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-06-clock-loophole_x.htm)

Wisconsin finds loophole in speed-up rule
Updated 11/7/2006 1:32 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this

MAKING MOST OF TIME

00:23 remaining
Wisconsin intentionally goes offside on a kickoff that Penn State's A.J. Wallace returns to the 10-yard line. Penn State accepts the penalty. Nine seconds go off the clock.

00:14 remaining
Badgers rekick and again intentionally go offside; PSU is called for holding so penalties offset. Ten seconds go off the clock.

00:04 remaining
A squib kick is returned by Penn State's Patrick Hall, who fumbles. Badgers recover, but time expires.

By Jack Carey, USA TODAY
Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema isn't a fan of college football's new speed-up-the-game rule that mandates the clock starts when a ball is kicked off rather than when it's received. But if Bielema can use the rule to his team's advantage, he will, and that's just what he did Saturday against Penn State.
With Wisconsin having just gone ahead 10-3, Bielema, 36, twice had his team intentionally go offside on kickoffs in the last 23 seconds of the first half, minimizing Penn State's chances to score. The two penalized kicks took 19 seconds off the clock and left Penn State coach Joe Paterno, 79, livid and complaining to officials.

SPORTS SCOPE: Your thoughts about the loophole logic?

VIDEO: See Wisconsin running out the first-half clock (YouTube.com)

Wisconsin athletics director and former coach Barry Alvarez said Monday that a discussion he had with Big Ten game officials during the summer helped devise the strategy.

"We had a scrimmage which was worked by a crew of Big Ten officials, and I was visiting with them and discussing how the new rule could change the game," Alvarez said. "They gave me that specific instance, so I mentioned it to Bret and the staff. I haven't been game-planning, but they have, and it makes sense to do it."

Bielema, whose team won 13-3, said Monday that while he doesn't necessarily agree with the rule, "I knew the rule and wanted to maximize it. ... It worked exactly as we envisioned it. It's something we practice. My guess is, with the attention we've received, there may be an (amendment)."

Alvarez said he thinks the remedy is simple: Amend the rule so in the last two minutes of a game or a half, the clock starts when the ball is touched.

Former Georgia coach Vince Dooley, who chaired the NCAA football rules committee when he coached, said there's nothing new about coaches using loopholes to their advantage. "Coaches are innovative," he said. "They find ways to be within the rules but take advantage of situations."

ABC broadcaster Paul Maguire said Wisconsin's tactic was the most creative thing he's seen in games he's worked this season. Others have found it fascinating as well. Video of the final 23 seconds has been posted on the popular online site Youtube.com.

"Whenever you put a rule in," Maguire said, "they ought to find the smartest guy in college football and have him look at every single scenario there could be."

Video: Wisconsin Runs Out the First-Half Clock on Penn State (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp5WM94UOBg)

The real problem with the whole thing is when the offsides is so blatent take a look and see how quickly the defenders reach the returner. There's no doubt that it's putting him at increased risk of injury as they have more momentum and such a head start/advantage on the blockers.

After watching the video, I see what happened now. The kickoff team was so far down the field, Penn State couldn't block on the kick return. So either they took the ball deep in their own territory or they force them to rekick. Makes sense now. Of course I believe the officials do have discretion to call unsportsmanlike conduct but you rarely ever see it called in an instance like that.

Hammersmith
January 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Our Coach Bohl used the same play against UC Davis in our comeback win. It happened only hours after the Wisc-Penn game. Bohl said during the post-game interview that he had seen highlights of that game just before the NDSU-UCD game and, when we had scored with 0:04 left on the clock, he realized that the loophole would work for us too. It did, and we won.

WyomingGrizFan
January 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Isn't about the only reason for these past years' time clock changes, supposedly to 'speed' up the game, was so the networks can show their scheduled programs on time so the sponsors would get their moneys' worth on their Madison Avenue propaganda?

I seem to recall a 'Heidi game' a while back but I think that the NFL has a little bit more clout than the NCAA on these matters. It's disgusting that this set of circumstances define 'character' and 'impartiality.' And people wonder about coaches saying one thing to the media & doing another when it comes to where their working next year. What an example that imparts to an athletic program. Don't mind the paraphrase but this...'good enough for us (to lie & cheat/coaches & administrators/Fortune 500 CEOs) but not for you (the players/everyone else)'...gets a rather tiresome after a while.

YesAppCan
January 7th, 2007, 09:23 AM
The rules package for this past year simply took away from college football. I suppose the intent was to speed up the games. I don't think the amount of time saved was worth ruining the system. I really hope the go back to the old rules on this, not a modification of this crap.