PDA

View Full Version : The MEAC leaving the playoffs discussion never dies

bosshogg
January 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I agree with the blogger :nod:

http://scstate.blogspot.com/2007/01/if-meac-leaves-playoffs-then-bosshogg.html

IF THE MEAC LEAVES THE PLAYOFFS, THEN BOSSHOGG THINKS WE SHOULD LEAVE THE MEAC!!!!
We at SCSU News want the most for SCSU. We want SCSU to be the best University in the nation. Not just the best HBCU. That same mentality goes for our athletics. If the MEAC commishioner gets his way, then we would no longer compete for a spot in the 1-AA playoffs, and instead we would play a "HBCU Championship Game" with the winner of the SWAC conference. We don't know about you, but we think that is garbage. Why should the MEAC marginalize itself by removing itself from competition with PWC's. We all saw the Hertiage bowl flop financially, so why go down what is basically the same road again?

SCSU News thinks that if the MEAC (which has very sorry leadership) pulls out of the playoffs, that SCSU should pull out of the MEAC. Where would we go? The Big South Conference! It would not only cut our travel cost, but it also makes fiscal sense. We could still play up to 4 HBCU's, and our schedule would look something like this

FAMU
1-A School (USC or Clemson)
Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
NC A&T
Gardner Webb
Presbyterian (joining Big South in '07)
Hampton
Liberty
VMI
One other game (Wofford, WSSU, NC Central)

Would you guys be for this? Opposed? What are your opinions?

AppGuy04
January 4th, 2007, 09:24 AM
We'll take ya in the SoCon

lizrdgizrd
January 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM

IF THE MEAC LEAVES THE PLAYOFFS, THEN BOSSHOGG THINKS WE SHOULD LEAVE THE MEAC!!!!
We at SCSU News want the most for SCSU. We want SCSU to be the best University in the nation. Not just the best HBCU. That same mentality goes for our athletics. If the MEAC commishioner gets his way, then we would no longer compete for a spot in the 1-AA playoffs, and instead we would play a "HBCU Championship Game" with the winner of the SWAC conference. We don't know about you, but we think that is garbage. Why should the MEAC marginalize itself by removing itself from competition with PWC's. We all saw the Hertiage bowl flop financially, so why go down what is basically the same road again?

SCSU News thinks that if the MEAC (which has very sorry leadership) pulls out of the playoffs, that SCSU should pull out of the MEAC. Where would we go? The Big South Conference! It would not only cut our travel cost, but it also makes fiscal sense. We could still play up to 4 HBCU's, and our schedule would look something like this

FAMU
Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
NC A&T
Gardner Webb
Hampton
Liberty
VMI

I think the Big South would be a good fit since you'd be able to continue playing other HBCUs as OOC games. In the SoCon you'd have fewer games available for OOC.

89Hen
January 4th, 2007, 09:45 AM
If it works for SCSt, then I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

OL FU
January 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM
It is also the best solution for an immediate improvement in football for the BSouth. :nod: and provides 6 teams for auto-bid consideration if the MEAC drops out.

HIU 93
January 4th, 2007, 10:05 AM
The MEAC will not leave the playoffs. Dr. Dennis Thomas is talking about a Heritage Bowl-like situation where the 2nd or 3rd place MEAC team would play against the SWAC representative. The MEAC Champ will continue to go to the playoffs, and if the MEAC were to also get an at large bid, then that team would also play in the playoffs. The Heritage Bowl concept did not work in its other incarnation for a variety of reasons, I don't see where it would work now. If SCSU wants to leave the MEAC, then I wish them all the luck in the world. It won't be because the MEAC has left the playoffs, because the MEAC is not going to leave the playoffs.

jstate83
January 4th, 2007, 10:10 AM
The MEAC will not leave the playoffs. Dr. Dennis Thomas is talking about a Heritage Bowl-like situation where the 2nd or 3rd place MEAC team would play against the SWAC representative. The MEAC Champ will continue to go to the playoffs, and if the MEAC were to also get an at large bid, then that team would also play in the playoffs. The Heritage Bowl concept did not work in its other incarnation for a variety of reasons, I don't see where it would work now. If SCSU wants to leave the MEAC, then I wish them all the luck in the world. It won't be because the MEAC has left the playoffs, because the MEAC is not going to leave the playoffs.

In other words, ya'll trying to set the same system up that we had back in the day when JSU was going to the playoff's and the 2nd place team went to the Heritage Bowl unless the 1st place team was Gram or SU.

Back then, even with a #2 conference finish, JSU would still be selected to go to the playoff's because we would usually be ranked anywhere from #14 on up.

It do work if it's set up right.
You will just have to be finished with everything the week BEFORE Thanksgiving in order to start the playoff's the next week.

henfan
January 4th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Given the focus of Pres. Alan Sessoms, I don't see Delaware State as favoring the revival of the failed Heritage Bowl idea either, especially if it means eliminating D-I playoff participation for the conference champion.

HIU 93
January 4th, 2007, 10:18 AM
In other words, ya'll trying to set the same system up that we had back in the day when JSU was going to the playoff's and the 2nd place team went to the Heritage Bowl unless the 1st place team was Gram or SU.

Back then, even with a #2 conference finish, JSU would still be selected to go to the playoff's because we would usually be ranked anywhere from #14 on up.

It do work if it's set up right.
You will just have to be finished with everything the week BEFORE Thanksgiving in order to start the playoff's the next week.

I still don't think it will make any money. I don't know why Dr. Thomas is continuing to bring this subject up. He knows it is not going to happen.

TxSt02
January 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM
i like how you are thinking...

rokamortis
January 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I believe most Big South fans would love to have SC State and/or Del State.

TexasTerror
January 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM

That'd be an unattractive matchup if the 2nd in the MEAC vs the top in the SWAC...

Most years, it'd be a MEAC win...:twocents:

Mr. Tiger
January 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM
That'd be an unattractive matchup if the 2nd in the MEAC vs the top in the SWAC...

Most years, it'd be a MEAC win...:twocents:

There goes TT again. :rolleyes: You never stop your nonsense, not even during the off-season. xlolx
As for the Heritage Bowl or whatever, I believe the MEAC will remain in the playoffs and they should.

PantherRob82
January 4th, 2007, 06:42 PM

FAMU
Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
NC A&T
Gardner Webb
Hampton
Liberty
VMI

good write-up.

TexasTerror
January 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM
There goes TT again. :rolleyes: You never stop your nonsense, not even during the off-season. xlolx

Hey, it's all based off of out of conference record and a Heritage Bowl would not really have any meaning to it, just a 'Classic' especially if the MEAC champion would not be involved, as then your more than likely not even competing for a HBCU "championship"...

See OOC record: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18257

Mr. Tiger
January 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hey, it's all based off of out of conference record and a Heritage Bowl would not really have any meaning to it, just a 'Classic' especially if the MEAC champion would not be involved, as then your more than likely not even competing for a HBCU "championship"...

See OOC record: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18257

That's good because it certainly wasn't based on the SWAC's record against MEAC schools or the past results of the Heritage Bowls. Look it up and tell me what you find. Here is a little help. :smiley_wi

12-21-1991
Alabama St.
North Carolina A&T
Miami, FL

01-02-1993
Grambling St. (LA)
Florida A&M
Tallahassee, FL

01-01-1994
Southern (LA)
South Carolina St.
Atlanta, GA

12-30-1994
South Carolina St.
Grambling St. (LA)
Atlanta, GA

12-29-1995
Southern (LA)
Florida A&M
Atlanta, GA

12-31-1996
Howard (DC)
Southern (LA)
Atlanta, GA

12-27-1997
Southern (LA)
South Carolina St.
Atlanta, GA

12-26-1998
Southern (LA)
Bethune-Cookman (FL)
Atlanta, GA

12-18-1999
Hampton (VA)
Southern (LA)
Atlanta, GA

TexasTerror
January 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Mr Tiger,

Was that the top team in the MEAC in those Heritage Bowl games?

And can you agree that since '99 that the MEAC has improved a great deal compared to their fellow FCS schools by more leaps and bounds than the SWAC? I think seeing the goings on at Hampton and South Carolina St have been proof of that...

Sly Fox
January 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Rok is right, we'd throw out the red carpet for SC State or just about any of the MEAC football schools.

And I agree that it wouldn't be the offseason without this duscussion every winter. Frankly its always fun.

Henny
January 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I think I did read last year that Del. State was exploring the possibility of joining the Big South in football and all other sports in the NEC.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 5th, 2007, 12:04 AM
The MEAC will not leave the playoffs. Dr. Dennis Thomas is talking about a Heritage Bowl-like situation where the 2nd or 3rd place MEAC team would play against the SWAC representative. The MEAC Champ will continue to go to the playoffs, and if the MEAC were to also get an at large bid, then that team would also play in the playoffs. The Heritage Bowl concept did not work in its other incarnation for a variety of reasons, I don't see where it would work now. If SCSU wants to leave the MEAC, then I wish them all the luck in the world. It won't be because the MEAC has left the playoffs, because the MEAC is not going to leave the playoffs.How did the Heritage Bowl not work. It was on a major network(NBC) and had major corporate sponsers(McDonalds). Thats where the real money is at.

G.S.Green
January 5th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I believe the resurrecting a failed bowl system will continue because the MEAC leadership is seeking to replicate what the other 30+ bowls are trying to do: get every cent out of the football fan and potential sponsors. The key differences are twofold: the fan experience and sponsor cash.

First, most MEAC fans are black and that limits the number of white fans willing to attend the game. Has nothing to do with the product on the field in as much as it does being alone in the stands or the perception of trouble brewing somewhere around the event. (By the way, there are plenty of drunk and rowdy fans at every game in the swamp) Right or wrong, that view is held by many.

Second, sponsors believe the audience for HBCU football is too limited to one specific demographic and that does not allow them to lay out the loooong green required to make this event profitable enough to pursue.

Until we make some serious noise in the playoffs and have a fan base that travels well, this concept will not work. Put away all the chatter on this issue until those two things come to pass and then we can talk.

G.S.Green

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 5th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Until we make some serious noise in the playoffs and have a fan base that travels well, this concept will not work. Put away all the chatter on this issue until those two things come to pass and then we can talk.

G.S.GreenSome schools(SU,Famu,Jackson State, and Tenn St.) already have a very large traveling fan base. SU has taken 40,000 to an out of state game before.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 5th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Second, sponsors believe the audience for HBCU football is too limited to one specific demographic and that does not allow them to lay out the loooong green required to make this event profitable enough to pursue.

G.S.GreenYou forgot to tell that to State Farms who sponsers the Bayou Classic and Disney who sponsers the Florida Classic. The Heritage bowl wasn't stopped because of lack of sucess. The Heritage Bowl was on NBC and had a major sponser McDonalds.

HIU 93
January 5th, 2007, 06:23 AM
How did the Heritage Bowl not work. It was on a major network(NBC) and had major corporate sponsers(McDonalds). Thats where the real money is at.

It wasn't on NBC, it was on ESPN 2. It did have corporate sponsors, but the money they provided was minimal, and the return they received on their investment was less than that.The Heritage Bowl was a dismal failure for three reasons- it was during the holidays, it never had a set date, and the sponsors promoted it miserably. If it worked, I would be a fan of it. I don't see the benefit of it for either of our conferences.

HIU 93
January 5th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I believe the resurrecting a failed bowl system will continue because the MEAC leadership is seeking to replicate what the other 30+ bowls are trying to do: get every cent out of the football fan and potential sponsors.

G.S.Green

That is going under the assumption that the MEAC is seriously considering pulling out of the playoffs. That is NOT, I repeat NOT going to happen. Dr. Thomas is making a lot of noise, nothing else. Serious MEAC fans know who really controls the conference, and who Dr. Thomas really answers to, and that person is not going to allow Dr. Thomas to pull the conference out of the playoffs.

henfan
January 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I think I did read last year that Del. State was exploring the possibility of joining the Big South in football and all other sports in the NEC.

Yup, I believe that idea was floated more like two-two and a half years ago, prior to Chuck Bell's arrival in Dover. I recall Tripp Keister being involved.

Apparently there were some exploratory discussions between DSU and the leaders of the NEC and Big South. At the time, Kyle Collander was quoted as saying his conference wasn't immediately interested in expanding (?!) Since that time, the MEAC has expanded. I'm not sure if that impacted DSU's decision to stay put for the time being. There hasn't been any noise out of Dover recently.

lizrdgizrd
January 5th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Yup, I believe that idea was floated more like two-two and a half years ago, prior to Chuck Bell's arrival in Dover. I recall Tripp Keister being involved.

Apparently there were some exploratory discussions between DSU and the leaders of the NEC and Big South. At the time, Kyle Collander was quoted as saying his conference wasn't immediately interested in expanding (?!) Since that time, the MEAC has expanded. I'm not sure if that impacted DSU's decision to stay put for the time being. There hasn't been any noise out of Dover recently.
Wouldn't Del State be a bit outside the Big South's natural geography? I'd think SCSU would be a more natural fit.

andy7171
January 5th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Wouldn't Del State be a bit outside the Big South's natural geography? I'd think SCSU would be a more natural fit.
Eh, not really. If you only look at football maybe. Towson used to be in the Big South for non-football sports, until they lost their NCAA auto bid.

Del State is on the Coastal Carolina schedule. Coincedence?

I think Del State joining the Big South would go along way in legitimizing the league as a whole. However I can't imagine DelState not being part of the MEAC wihtout something drastic like pulling out of the play-offs happening.

henfan
January 5th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Travel for football isn't that big a deal since conference schools alternate trips once every other year. DSU is the northermost school in the MEAC and typically makes flights to Florida once or twice a year, depneding on the MEAC schedule.

If truth be known, DSU could actually save a little money with travel in the short term as members of the Big South & NEC. With MEAC expansion and the addition of two regional schools (Winston-Salem St. & NC Central) though, the MEAC might be best. I don't know. Of coures, there are other considerations like rivalries, recruiting, academics, etc. that would go into the decision.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I believe the resurrecting a failed bowl system will continue because the MEAC leadership is seeking to replicate what the other 30+ bowls are trying to do: get every cent out of the football fan and potential sponsors. The key differences are twofold: the fan experience and sponsor cash.

First, most MEAC fans are black and that limits the number of white fans willing to attend the game. Has nothing to do with the product on the field in as much as it does being alone in the stands or the perception of trouble brewing somewhere around the event. (By the way, there are plenty of drunk and rowdy fans at every game in the swamp) Right or wrong, that view is held by many.

G.S.Green

A fantastic post!

However, I think you skirt around one of the key points that you almost make but don't. HBCU's themselves have operated under the assumption to playing other HBCU's are the way to go - largely to "get every cent out of the [HBCU] football fan and potential sponsors" (what a great line!). They don't see getting "every cent" as playing a Fordham or Lehigh, though sometimes they'll make an exception for a McNeese State, Appalachian State... one of the bigger ($$) schools.

Personally, I think sponsors believe that the audience for HBCU football is one demographic since, well, that's the way it's marketed by the leagues! This year I went to the Meadowlands to see the "NY Urban League Classic", an event that until two years ago I had never heard of! I doubt that most of the surrounding area was aware that a game was going on there - and it's only because I'm such an FCS freak I knew about the game at all. I wanted to see a classic, but for me I wanted to see a team that was likely to be in the FCS playoffs as well.

I think the MEAC needs to do a better job getting casual fans into these games. I wasn't put off since I thought it was dangerous - I didn't know it existed! I'd bet a duck dinner that this is why folks don't show up to games like this - mostly because they don't know about it.

I'm a huge believer in having FCS schools play each other that don't normally do so. One great step forward is that Princeton hosts Hampton next year (I think, if not this year then 2008 or 2009). Ivy versus HBCU is a great step forward for both programs, and it needs to be done more often. In that vein, I'd love to see more Patriot/SoCon, Patriot/MEAC or Patriot/CAA games.

HIU 93
January 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM
A fantastic post!

However, I think you skirt around one of the key points that you almost make but don't. HBCU's themselves have operated under the assumption to playing other HBCU's are the way to go - largely to "get every cent out of the [HBCU] football fan and potential sponsors" (what a great line!). They don't see getting "every cent" as playing a Fordham or Lehigh, though sometimes they'll make an exception for a McNeese State, Appalachian State... one of the bigger ($$) schools.

Personally, I think sponsors believe that the audience for HBCU football is one demographic since, well, that's the way it's marketed by the leagues! This year I went to the Meadowlands to see the "NY Urban League Classic", an event that until two years ago I had never heard of! I doubt that most of the surrounding area was aware that a game was going on there - and it's only because I'm such an FCS freak I knew about the game at all. I wanted to see a classic, but for me I wanted to see a team that was likely to be in the FCS playoffs as well.

I think the MEAC needs to do a better job getting casual fans into these games. I wasn't put off since I thought it was dangerous - I didn't know it existed! I'd bet a duck dinner that this is why folks don't show up to games like this - mostly because they don't know about it.

I'm a huge believer in having FCS schools play each other that don't normally do so. One great step forward is that Princeton hosts Hampton next year (I think, if not this year then 2008 or 2009). Ivy versus HBCU is a great step forward for both programs, and it needs to be done more often. In that vein, I'd love to see more Patriot/SoCon, Patriot/MEAC or Patriot/CAA games.

I would agree with you that it is good to have non-traditional matchups every now and again, but I disagree with your assessment of other facets.

"I think the MEAC needs to do a better job getting casual fans into these games. I wasn't put off since I thought it was dangerous - I didn't know it existed! I'd bet a duck dinner that this is why folks don't show up to games like this - mostly because they don't know about it."

The NYUL advertises this game for the better part of eight months before the game every year in the Tri-State area, and in other metropolitan areas of the East Coast for about six weeks before the game. The game has been played every year for the last 36. You seem to be a pretty upstanding person as it relates to race relations, and that is good. There are PLENTY of people, however, who have an irrational fear of Blacks or anything to do with them. A lot of them still think that at any event with a large number of Blacks "something" will happen.

henfan
January 5th, 2007, 01:19 PM
There are PLENTY of people, however, who have an irrational fear of Blacks or anything to do with them. A lot of them still think that at any event with a large number of Blacks "something" will happen.

We don't know what you're talking about.

Signed,
The Delaware Board of Trustees
http://www.udel.edu/vp-sec/images/trustees2006.jpg

Jafus (Thinker)
January 5th, 2007, 03:52 PM
HIU93,

It wasn't on NBC, it was on ESPN 2. It did have corporate sponsors, but the money they provided was minimal, and the return they received on their investment was less than that.The Heritage Bowl was a dismal failure for three reasons- it was during the holidays, it never had a set date, and the sponsors promoted it miserably. If it worked, I would be a fan of it. I don't see the benefit of it for either of our conferences.

A quick history lesson reveals the Heritage Bowl was on both NBC and ESPN. The last two years of the Heritage Bowl was broadcast on NBC.

NBC Sports and HBCC agree to Joint Venture
October 1, 1998

http://www.onnidan.com/98-99/news/hbccnbc.htm

The Historically Black Collegiate Coalition (HBCC), NBC Sports, the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) and Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, have agreed to a joint venture surrounding the McDonald's Heritage Bowl.

As part of the new, multi-year agreement, the Heritage Bowl will be televised live on the NBC Television network starting December 26, 1998. Integrated sponsorship packages will be sold by the HBCC and NBC Sports. NBC will also handle international television distribution of the Heritage Bowl and produce a web presence on MSNBCSpots, the official internet site of NBC Sports.

"We're committed to making a strong impact on the future success of the HBCC and the McDonald's Heritage Bowl," said Kevin Monaghan, Director of Business Development for NBC Sports. "By devoting increased NBC promotion plus better production values, we are confident we can enhance interest in the game, the conferences, McDonald's and the other sponsors."

The McDonald's Heritage Bowl is the only NCAA sanctioned post-season bowl game between Division I-AA HBCUs. The eight annual game will be played on December 26, 1998 at 12:30 EDT in Atlanta's Georgia Dome and features top teams of the SWAC and the MEAC.

For more information on this year's McDonald's Heritage Bowl call 1-888-437-7306 or visit their website at www.heritagebowl.com.

danefan
January 5th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Does anyone else think that something is going on with the NEC and Big South that we don't know about? Albany and Stony Brook are rumored to be Big South members by 2008. Del State is rumored to be Big South football and NEC olympic sports.

The MAAC is hurting for teams. Whats to say that the NEC won't disband its football conference or join it with the Big South for a new conference with a north and south division.

North could end up something like:

Albany
Stony Brook
Central Conn.
Robert Morris
Monmouth

South:

Coastal
C. South
VMI
Liberty
Gardener Webb
Del State

If Coastal runs for the SoCon, the divisions are equal at 5 and 5. The other remaining NEC teams don't really want scholly football so let them bolt to the MAAC and be with like-minded schools.

Sounds far fetched but you never know right????xcoffeex xcoffeex

Sir William
January 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Does anyone else think that something is going on with the NEC and Big South that we don't know about? Albany and Stony Brook are rumored to be Big South members by 2008. Del State is rumored to be Big South football and NEC olympic sports.

The MAAC is hurting for teams. Whats to say that the NEC won't disband its football conference or join it with the Big South for a new conference with a north and south division.

North could end up something like:

Albany
Stony Brook
Central Conn.
Robert Morris
Monmouth

South:

Coastal
C. South
VMI
Liberty
Gardener Webb
Del State

If Coastal runs for the SoCon, the divisions are equal at 5 and 5. The other remaining NEC teams don't really want scholly football so let them bolt to the MAAC and be with like-minded schools.

Sounds far fetched but you never know right????xcoffeex xcoffeex

You forgot Presbyterian.

Mr. Tiger
January 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Mr Tiger,

Was that the top team in the MEAC in those Heritage Bowl games?

And can you agree that since '99 that the MEAC has improved a great deal compared to their fellow FCS schools by more leaps and bounds than the SWAC? I think seeing the goings on at Hampton and South Carolina St have been proof of that...

Let me remind you of what you said 'That'd be an unattractive matchup if the 2nd in the MEAC vs the top in the SWAC...Most years, it'd be a MEAC win...
Well that has been proven to not be true in the past based on the Heritage Bowl results. And you do know Hampton barely beat Grambling in OT and Southern beat Bethune Cookman. And both Southern and Grambling were not good this season.

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Well that has been proven to not be true in the past based on the Heritage Bowl results. And you do know Hampton barely beat Grambling in OT and Southern beat Bethune Cookman. And both Southern and Grambling were not good this season.

A win is a win. Hampton beat Grambling at a neutral site...

Southern also lost to North Carolina Central, a Div II squad and future MEAC member...though NCCU apparently lost quite a bit on the locker room...:nono:

Glad Southern did beat a miserable Bethune Cookman squad that finished 2nd to last in the MEAC, ahead of just Norfolk St and the worst team in FCS scholarship football this year, NC A&T...

unknown-swac
January 5th, 2007, 10:11 PM
A win is a win. Hampton beat Grambling at a neutral site...

Southern also lost to North Carolina Central, a Div II squad and future MEAC member...though NCCU apparently lost quite a bit on the locker room...:nono:

Glad Southern did beat a miserable Bethune Cookman squad that finished 2nd to last in the MEAC, ahead of just Norfolk St and the worst team in FCS scholarship football this year, NC A&T...

Yea...but your intial post was still wrong.xcoffeex

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Yea...but your intial post was still wrong.xcoffeex

Why is that?

MEAC quality of play, especially at the top, has been improving...with three teams appearing in the last GPI before a SWAC squad even shows up...

SWAC quality of play is questionable. I'm just not sure the SWAC as a whole, whether it at the top or bottom, could compete on equal footing with anyone in FCS football, MEAC or otherwise (see SWAC OOC record against Div I schools)...

SWAC has even had difficulty against sub-Div I schools at a larger rate than the rest of FCS. This year, the SWAC had three sub-Div I losses if you include Langston over PVA&M in a game that was suspended, Southern falls to North Carolina Central and Tuskegee over Alabama St, equaling one more than the previous year.

The MEAC on the otherhand had two losses to sub-Div I, yet it was a team already in the transition-phase, Winston Salem St, which unlike NCCU had already begun moving on up. In games against the SWAC, the MEAC was 1-1 and the year before, 2-0. Guess the SWAC plays more Div II squads in those two games they are allowed than fellow Div I HBCUs.

Jafus (Thinker)
January 5th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Shaking My Head!!

HIU 93
January 6th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Why is that?

SWAC quality of play is questionable. I'm just not sure the SWAC as a whole, whether it at the top or bottom, could compete on equal footing with anyone in FCS football, MEAC or otherwise (see SWAC OOC record against Div I schools)...

This post is not about disrespecting the SWAC. It's not about the SWAC at all. For the record, this post was all started because someone from a SCSU blog posted an OPINION, based on little fact, if any, that SCSU should leave the MEAC if the MEAC pulls out of the playoffs. The MEAC is NOT pulling out of the playoffs.

PNeck19
January 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM
In head-to-head competition when both teams have been members of I-AA, the all-time records of SWAC vs. MEAC teams is exactly .500. The SWAC (primarily GSU, JSU, and ALC) dominated the 80s and the MEAC has caught up in the 90s and 00s.

OVERALL: 84-84-3
2000s: MEAC 15-13
1990s: MEAC 37-29
1980s: SWAC 40-26-3
1970s: MEAC 6-2

SOUTHERN U.
Overall: 23-22-1
2000s: 3-1
1990s: 11-11
1980s: 8-8-1
1970s: 1-2

GRAMBLING
Overall: 22-17
2000s: 2-1
1990s: 6-9
1980s: 13-5
1970s: 1-2

JACKSON ST.
Overall: 16-15-2
2000s: 2-6
1990s: 7-8
1980s: 7-0-2
1970s: 0-1

ALCORN ST.
Overall: 12-9
2000s: 2-1
1990s: 1-3
1980s: 9-4

ALABAMA ST. (I-AA since 1982)
Overall: 5-4
2000s: 2-2
1990s: 1-0
1980s: 2-2

TEXAS SOUTHERN
Overall: 5-6
2000s: 2-2
1990s: 3-2
1980s: 0-2
1970s: None

MISSISSIPPI VAL. (I-AA since 1980)
Overall: 1-6
2000s: None
1990s: 0-2
1980s: 1-4

ALABAMA A&M (I-AA since 1999)
Overall: 0-0
1990s: None

PRAIRIE VIEW
Overall: 0-1
1990s: None
1980s: 0-1

ARK.-PINE BLUFF (I-AA since 1998)
Overall: 0-4
2000s: 0-2
1990s: 0-2

FLORIDA A&M
Overall: 28-34-2
2000s: 2-3
1990s: 12-12
1980s: 9-19-2
1970s: 5-0

HOWARD
Overall: 13-9-1
2000s: 2-4
1990s: 9-4
1980s: 2-0-1

SOUTH CAROLINA ST.
Overall: 12-18
2000s: 1-0
1990s: 4-7
1980s: 6-10
1970s: 1-1

N.C. A&T
Overall: 10-4
2000s: 3-2
1990s: 4-0
1980s: 3-2

HAMPTON (I-AA since 1997)
Overall: 8-2
2000s: 3-1
1990s: 5-1

BETHUNE-COOKMAN (I-AA since 1980)
Overall: 7-11
2000s: 3-2
1990s: 0-1
1980s: 4-8

DELAWARE ST.
Overall: 4-2
1990s: 2-1
1980s: 2-1

MORGAN ST. (I-AA since 1986)
Overall: 2-2
2000s: 1-0
1990s: 1-2
1980s: None

NORFOLK ST. (I-AA since 1997)
Overall: 0-2
2000s: 0-1
1990s: 0-1

mikebigg
January 6th, 2007, 11:56 AM
We don't know what you're talking about.

Signed,
The Delaware Board of Trustees
http://www.udel.edu/vp-sec/images/trustees2006.jpg

Poor Lady...kinda reminds me of the late Thurgood Marshall. The man tried to live forever waiting for a "replacement" on the Supreme Court. Then they insulted him by appointing Clarence Thomas!:bang:

Appstate29
January 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Poor Lady...kinda reminds me of the late Thurgood Marshall. The man tried to live forever waiting for a "replacement" on the Supreme Court. Then they insulted him by appointing Clarence Thomas!:bang:

Clarence Thomas has been a wonderful supreme court judge! He is 100% genius and understands the role of the Supreme Court beautifully. Also, not to be a stickler,but it looks like the guy sitting in the middle row last on the left is also black,but I can't see it very good.

unknown-swac
January 6th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Why is that?

MEAC quality of play, especially at the top, has been improving...with three teams appearing in the last GPI before a SWAC squad even shows up...

SWAC has even had difficulty against sub-Div I schools at a larger rate than the rest of FCS. This year, the SWAC had three sub-Div I losses if you include Langston over PVA&M in a game that was suspended, Southern falls to North Carolina Central and Tuskegee over Alabama St, equaling one more than the previous year.

The MEAC on the otherhand had two losses to sub-Div I, yet it was a team already in the transition-phase, Winston Salem St, which unlike NCCU had already begun moving on up. In games against the SWAC, the MEAC was 1-1 and the year before, 2-0. Guess the SWAC plays more Div II squads in those two games they are allowed than fellow Div I HBCUs.

Youre not making a point here at all. When it comes down to it the Meac is still no better than the SWAC and even the recent games show that. So still...whats your point? Take away the Bell years @ JSU and it'd prove your point even less.

danefan
January 6th, 2007, 08:32 PM
You forgot Presbyterian.

Sorry. So you put Del State in the North and you have two even divisions.

Who knows right?

R.A.
January 6th, 2007, 09:57 PM
We some football playoff victories...