PDA

View Full Version : New 35k Seat Bragg Stadium For FAMU Set To Break Ground In 2018

superman7515
September 23rd, 2016, 08:15 PM
http://www.famu.edu/FacilitiesPlanning/UserFiles/Image/braggs/View02.jpg

http://www.famu.edu/FacilitiesPlanning/UserFiles/Image/braggs/view04.jpg

http://www.famu.edu/FacilitiesPlanning/UserFiles/Image/braggs/View06.jpg

http://www.famu.edu/FacilitiesPlanning/UserFiles/Image/braggs/View03.jpg

http://www.famu.edu/FacilitiesPlanning/UserFiles/Image/braggs/View01.jpg

http://www.famu.edu/FacilitiesPlanning/UserFiles/Image/braggs/View07.jpg

http://www.famu.edu/FacilitiesPlanning/UserFiles/Image/braggs/View05.jpg

http://www.famu.edu/FacilitiesPlanning/UserFiles/Image/braggs/View10.jpg

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2016, 08:22 PM
This is beautiful, but I thought FAMU was not thinking FBS/I-A any more.

ASU33
September 23rd, 2016, 09:01 PM
Very nice!xbowx

Milktruck74
September 23rd, 2016, 09:33 PM
The renderings are beautiful....but should a school with the Financial problems of FamU be spending money on something like that? I would like a brand new outdoor kitchen (complete with a Brick oven), and it would be beautiful, and would attract many friends....but if I can't pay my mortgage, should I build it anyway?

TheKingpin28
September 23rd, 2016, 09:58 PM
The renderings are beautiful....but should a school with the Financial problems of FamU be spending money on something like that? I would like a brand new outdoor kitchen (complete with a Brick oven), and it would be beautiful, and would attract many friends....but if I can't pay my mortgage, should I build it anyway?

I feel like they have bowl aspirations in hosting one so that would the only reason why I could see them do it. But no they should still not do it if they cannot pay their own bills.

Professor Chaos
September 23rd, 2016, 10:07 PM
Wow!

RootinFerDukes
September 23rd, 2016, 10:21 PM
I'm not trying to drag them down, good for them if that's what they build but

1) this is Fcs football. When was the last time an on campus Fcs team had a crowd of 35k? When was the last time a school averaged at least 80% of that capacity even? App state with their fans on the hill?
2) what has famu's average attendance been the last five years?
3) aren't most hbcu's having financial problems? I know SC state, VA state and Norfolk state are struggling to stay open from what it sounds like.

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2016, 10:22 PM
I would KILL to haze a band member in that stadium. :D

tigonian02
September 23rd, 2016, 10:55 PM
Link?

FlamingHot
September 23rd, 2016, 11:06 PM
The renderings are great, especially all the empty seats.

Schism55
September 23rd, 2016, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=RootinFerDukes;2381421]I'm not trying to drag them down, good for them if that's what they build but

1) this is Fcs football. When was the last time an on campus Fcs team had a crowd of 35k? When was the last time a school averaged at least 80% of that capacity even? App state with their fans on the hill?
2) what has famu's average attendance been the last five years
2014 FAMU averaged 11,173
2015 FAMU averaged 15k

Redbird007
September 24th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Great looking stadium if it happen? This is another example of what is wrong in terms of universities and their priorities just like West Texas (div 2) building a new $19.5 million stadium when average act is only 21. There is no return to West Texas students and alums, other than egos of administration and athletic department, if the school has a good stadium. No one cares about West Texas football and it is such an expensive non academic proposition. The average ACT score at FAMU is only a 20. FAMU existing stadium is more than adequate. Spend the money on academics as universities such as FAMU and West Texas are not generating any return to the university and their alums when they spend big time money on sports.

lionsrking2
September 24th, 2016, 01:29 AM
Great looking stadium if it happen? This is another example of what is wrong in terms of universities and their priorities just like West Texas (div 2) building a new $19.5 million stadium when average act is only 21. There is no return to West Texas students and alums, other than egos of administration and athletic department, if the school has a good stadium. No one cares about West Texas football and it is such an expensive non academic proposition. The average ACT score at FAMU is only a 20. FAMU existing stadium is more than adequate. Spend the money on academics as universities such as FAMU and West Texas are not generating any return to the university and their alums when they spend big time money on sports.

What do average ACT scores have to do with anything? Just curious.

Redbird007
September 24th, 2016, 01:57 AM
What do average ACT scores have to do with anything? Just curious.

How does a university justify spending that much money on low level collegiate sports when they can add a lot more value to students via spending that money on education? I understand the marketing value of sports for universities that get press and/or big money return for the universities but these type of schools I mentioned get little or no return (for students or alums) even if their sports teams are winners. Spend the money on the students education vs meaningless nonacademic oriented uses . The low ACT scores reflect the fact that there is a lot of room for educational growth across the student population. BTW these universities are not isolated examples rather merely examples.
I hate to us NDSU as an example, since they are constantly referenced within AGS, but will anyhow. NDSU gets so much national exposure/advertising from the success of their football program such that money spent on sports pales in comparison to the benefit to the university as a whole. That is very unique but a counter example. These other schools I referenced initially are the opposite of NDSU football and have a student population that needs education.
Let me get off my soap box as I am freshly off a big dinner/drink night via downtown Chicago. Right or wrong that is my perspective and I am sticking with it. Go Redbirds!

Twentysix
September 24th, 2016, 04:02 AM
How does a university justify spending that much money on low level collegiate sports when they can add a lot more value to students via spending that money on education? I understand the marketing value of sports for universities that get press and/or big money return for the universities but these type of schools I mentioned get little or no return (for students or alums) even if their sports teams are winners. Spend the money on the students education vs meaningless nonacademic oriented uses . The low ACT scores reflect the fact that there is a lot of room for educational growth across the student population. BTW these universities are not isolated examples rather merely examples.
I hate to us NDSU as an example, since they are constantly referenced within AGS, but will anyhow. NDSU gets so much national exposure/advertising from the success of their football program such that money spent on sports pales in comparison to the benefit to the university as a whole. That is very unique but a counter example. These other schools I referenced initially are the opposite of NDSU football and have a student population that needs education.
Let me get off my soap box as I am freshly off a big dinner/drink night via downtown Chicago. Right or wrong that is my perspective and I am sticking with it. Go Redbirds!

A private university can do whatever it wants, but yeah a public university has some pretty deep obligations. They need ROI (which in the cases of the most successful sports universities doesn't only appear in the form of dollars), maybe they will get that here.

caribbeanhen
September 24th, 2016, 05:25 AM

$$$ doesnt make the student, the student does

RootinFerDukes
September 24th, 2016, 07:21 AM
So the average attendance the last two seasons was 13k and they want to build a 35k stadium? How on earth did the Florida government approve the funding of such a project. They would've been better off sending those funds to their operating budget instead so that actual students can benefit from it.

dgtw
September 24th, 2016, 07:22 AM
What was wrong with the old stadium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
September 24th, 2016, 08:45 AM
So the average attendance the last two seasons was 13k and they want to build a 35k stadium? How on earth did the Florida government approve the funding of such a project. They would've been better off sending those funds to their operating budget instead so that actual students can benefit from it.

Because if they didn't approve it, the school would vilify them and claim injustice for their students based on their minority status. Its always a big vote grabbing game!!!

BisonFan02
September 24th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Because if they didn't approve it, the school would vilify them and claim injustice for their students based on their minority status. Its always a big vote grabbing game!!!

Bingo.

GAD
September 24th, 2016, 08:56 AM
FAMU last renovated Bragg in the early 80's, and the last couple of years have been some of the worst in their football history. If FAMU gets back to their winning ways and the right opponent (Southern, Jackson St, Grambling, Tenn. St) 35k might not be enough

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Anybody else find it kinda odd that it looks like they plan on having the lower level be a grass be encircling the entire field? Unique for sure, not sure how I feel about it though.

Catsfan90
September 24th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Anybody else find it kinda odd that it looks like they plan on having the lower level be a grass be encircling the entire field? Unique for sure, not sure how I feel about it though.

I noticed that also, it seems like they would lose a lot of money on that. What sort of seats would those be considered?

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2016, 09:41 AM
I noticed that also, it seems like they would lose a lot of money on that. What sort of seats would those be considered?

Flop seats, cause you can flop your ass in the grass wherever you feel like it.

ytownchief22
September 24th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Pretty cool renderings. Will they fill it ?

ASU33
September 24th, 2016, 10:03 AM

3) aren't most hbcu's having financial problems? I know SC state, VA state and Norfolk state are struggling to stay open from what it sounds like.

See Jackson State every year for either the Alcorn State game, Southern game, or homecoming.

ASU33
September 24th, 2016, 10:06 AM

FAMU has won a grand total of 4 games in those 2 seasons. FAMU gets back to winning and they'll fill 80% or more of a 35k seater with no problems.

ASU33
September 24th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Pretty cool renderings. Will they fill it ?

Not right now. Their football program is in the tanks right now.

ASU33
September 24th, 2016, 10:12 AM

No most HBCU are not. Some are but the majority are not.

ASU33
September 24th, 2016, 10:15 AM
FAMU last renovated Bragg in the early 80's, and the last couple of years have been some of the worst in their football history. If FAMU gets back to their winning ways and the right opponent (Southern, Jackson St, Grambling, Tenn. St) 35k might not be enough

Yes! SU/FAMU or FAMU/Grambling will far exceed 35,000. From what I'm hearing FAMU/Grambling are playing next year down in Mobile for the 5th Quarter Classic.

GAD
September 24th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Those are probably chair back seats there school colors are orange & GREEN

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Those are probably chair back seats there school colors are orange & GREEN

You with your logic, ruining all my wild speculation xlolx

RootinFerDukes
September 24th, 2016, 11:31 AM

I'm in the "prove you need it first" camp when it comes to spending what will probably be a $100M+ project.

Redbird007
September 24th, 2016, 12:40 PM
$$$ doesnt make the student, the student does

??

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 24th, 2016, 01:42 PM
I'm in the "prove you need it first" camp when it comes to spending what will probably be a $100M+ project.

My thoughts exactly for all CFB programs.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 09:18 AM
??

just a comment about how many think you can just throw money at problems and the problem will be solved......nope

ASU33
September 25th, 2016, 11:48 AM
FAMU had a little over 16,000 at their home opener yesterday. The crowd boo'd head coach Alex Wood as they got boat raced by South Carolina State yesterday and dropped to 0-4 on the season.

dgtw
September 25th, 2016, 01:26 PM
FAMU had a little over 16,000 at their home opener yesterday. The crowd boo'd head coach Alex Wood as they got boat raced by South Carolina State yesterday and dropped to 0-4 on the season.

Nice crowd for a team that has been terrible the last few years. A lot of very good teams would kill for those kind of crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbird007
September 25th, 2016, 06:59 PM
just a comment about how many think you can just throw money at problems and the problem will be solved......nope

So go ahead and throw $100 million on a football stadium that is exactly what the current and future student population needs...Bravo

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 08:18 PM
So go ahead and throw $100 million on a football stadium that is exactly what the current and future student population needs...Bravo

they need to hit the books

UNIFanSince1983
September 25th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Lost in this is that the current stadium holds 25,500. I know 10K is a big jump, but still not like they have a tiny stadium now.

WestCoastAggie
September 25th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Lost in this is that the current stadium holds 25,500. I know 10K is a big jump, but still not like they have a tiny stadium now.

Excellent. Back during the Billy Joe days, I believe they've exceeded that capacity multiple occasions. Another point in this could be the Florida Classic. If they can make their stadium 40,000 - 45,000, Then they wouldn't have to have the game in Orlando on years where they would be the host. That would cause their season ticket sales to skyrocket, helping offset the stadium costs, which won't use state funding.

GAD
September 25th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Excellent. Back during the Billy Joe days, I believe they've exceeded that capacity multiple occasions. Another point in this could be the Florida Classic. If they can make their stadium 40,000 - 45,000, Then they wouldn't have to have the game in Orlando on years where they would be the host. That would cause their season ticket sales to skyrocket, helping offset the stadium costs, which won't use state funding.
I can't find the attendance record for the stadium anywhere but I think attendance was 30k plus a few times when Southern played there

superman7515
September 25th, 2016, 10:39 PM

Exactly. Back in the late 90's when FAMU was still making deep playoff runs, they would get huge crowds for the Florida Classic. FAMU vs Bethune-Cookman in 1999 had a paid attendance of 70,125, not including giveaways to corporate sponsors and administrators from the schools, in a stadium that sat 74,000. The next year was 70,719. They were outdrawing the Miami Hurricanes at the time.

WestCoastAggie
September 25th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Exactly. Back in the late 90's when FAMU was still making deep playoff runs, they would get huge crowds for the Florida Classic. FAMU vs Bethune-Cookman in 1999 had a paid attendance of 70,125, not including giveaways to corporate sponsors and administrators from the schools, in a stadium that sat 74,000. The next year was 70,719. They were outdrawing the Miami Hurricanes at the time.

Expecting to get back close to 70,000 while splitting a yearly gate with Bethune-Cookman may not be in their best interest anymore. It is unlikely they can get those pre great recessions to return.

ASU33
September 26th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Expecting to get back close to 70,000 while splitting a yearly gate with Bethune-Cookman may not be in their best interest anymore. It is unlikely they can get those pre great recessions to return.

The Florida Classic is HUGE for FAMU and BCU as far as recruiting. Neither is very interested in taking the game away from Orlando.

GAD
October 2nd, 2016, 11:18 AM
I got word from their local paper that the attendance record was 30,459 vs Morgan State in 2010

SENOREIDA
October 2nd, 2016, 12:26 PM
I love how they included the actual attendance in the renderings. xlolx They didn't even bother filling up the crowd.

ASU33
October 2nd, 2016, 12:35 PM
I love how they included the actual attendance in the renderings. xlolx They didn't even bother filling up the crowd.

Someone from Coastal has attendance jokes? *shrugs*

Anthony215
February 15th, 2018, 01:45 PM
So what ever happened with this new stadium? Still breaking ground this year??

ASU33
February 15th, 2018, 02:26 PM
So what ever happened with this new stadium? Still breaking ground this year??

Plan was slightly altered, still breaking ground in 2018

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2017/10/25/famu-ad-overton-reveals-financial-plan-new-famu-all-sports-facility/799490001/

VandalBasher
February 15th, 2018, 07:05 PM
This smells like a real FBS investment.

PAllen
February 15th, 2018, 07:33 PM
Plan was slightly altered, still breaking ground in 2018

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2017/10/25/famu-ad-overton-reveals-financial-plan-new-famu-all-sports-facility/799490001/

That's a pretty big departure from the original.

ASU33
February 15th, 2018, 08:16 PM
This smells like a real FBS investment.

FAMU will never make that mistake again. The program has never fully recovered from the last botched attempt 15 years ago.

walliver
February 16th, 2018, 01:39 PM
FAMU will never make that mistake again. The program has never fully recovered from the last botched attempt 15 years ago.

I was one of the few at the time who thought FAMU's move to FBS could work. A FBS HBCU could draw some national interest, and an independent schedule of select FCS HBCU games and well-known FBS games could produce good attendance (I believe they had a home game lined up against Oklahoma). They had a TV deal, although a lot of startup cable networks at that time never got off the ground. Non-football sports were always going to be an issue.

It just felt like the issue was rushed and forced.

BadlandsGrizFan
February 16th, 2018, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=RootinFerDukes;2381421]I'm not trying to drag them down, good for them if that's what they build but

2) what has famu's average attendance been the last five years
2014 FAMU averaged 11,173
2015 FAMU averaged 15k

Somebody has never heard of the University of Montana apparently.

ASU33
February 16th, 2018, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=Schism55;2381435]

Somebody hasn't heard of a bunch of stuff! Lol

Catbooster
February 17th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Or somebody's better at math than you, since 80% of 35k is more than UM has ever averaged. ;)

WestCoastAggie
February 17th, 2018, 01:22 PM
It just felt like the issue was rushed and forced.

Understatement of the Century.

Outsider1
February 21st, 2018, 02:42 PM
Very nice indeed, build it and they will come...