PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Expansion

89rabbit
January 4th, 2007, 06:56 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070104/SPORTS0202/701040349/1002/SPORTS

SDSU to attend Gateway meeting
Steffen verbally commits

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
PUBLISHED: January 4, 2007

South Dakota State and North Dakota State have not been invited to join the Gateway Football Conference, but they have been asked to attend league meetings on Feb. 19 in St. Louis, commissioner Patty Viverito said Wednesday.

SDSU athletic director Fred Oien confirmed the invitation and said that he and university president David Chicoine plan to accept.

Typically, the Gateway meetings are attended by athletic directors, football coaches and faculty representatives, according to Viverito, and in this case, six of the league's seven school presidents will attend, as well.

They won't be required to vote on expansion, but they won't be precluded from doing so, either. . . . (read more)

TexasTerror
January 4th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Big news...

NDSU and SDSU starting Gateway play in 2008 would be great news! I'm curious to see if that really would be the start-date considering football scheduling even at this point for 2008 would be tough to squeeze those schools in, unless they approve the 12 game NCAA schedule for FCS schools...

spelunker64
January 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

bcrawf
January 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
It would not be that hard to get them into the schedule. Everybody has an open week from Western Kentucky leaving and at least at UNI we struggle with finding games, so that should not be a problem. Year 1 we would get SDSU at home and NDSU on the road...

NoCoDanny
January 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM
It seems like a no brainer to me. A win/win for all involved so make it happen Gateway!

TxSt02
January 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM
this would be great...

Go Bison
January 4th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I don't want to get too excited for the Gateway, I remember being excited for the Big Sky and that didn't work out for the Bison and Jacks. However, it would be AWESOME to be in the Gateway conference. Bring on the competition!

rokamortis
January 4th, 2007, 11:30 AM
A win/win for all involved

Except for the Great West

Go Bison
January 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Except for the Great West

I think NDSU would still play the California schools. They really helped NDSU the last few years and have a good relationship with them. Plus they would be great OOC games.

Cap'n Cat
January 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I don't want to get too excited for the Gateway, I remember being excited for the Big Sky and that didn't work out for the Bison and Jacks. However, it would be AWESOME to be in the Gateway conference. Bring on the competition!

Big Sky, except for Montana and maybe State, is borderline D-II, and WAAAAAAYY too into themselves. Gateway is much more competitive.

Bring on the Dakoters!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

MplsBison
January 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Weber State actually has a pretty good football stadium.

TheValleyRaider
January 4th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I think NDSU would still play the California schools. They really helped NDSU the last few years and have a good relationship with them. Plus they would be great OOC games.

Yeah, but now the GW goes down to 3 teams, although with UND and USD joining once they're up from D-II, they're back at 5. I realize 7 teams isn't the best arrangement for a conference, but unless San Diego is going to add scholarships and move up from the Pioneer, the Great West is going to have to remain without an autobid anywhere in sight. :twocents:

PantherRob82
January 4th, 2007, 04:52 PM
This is a good sign. Glad to see some new movement on them joining.

elkmcc
January 4th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Big Sky, except for Montana and maybe State, is borderline D-II, and WAAAAAAYY too into themselves. Gateway is much more competitive.

Bring on the Dakoters!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

What's the big hate on for the BSC Cap'n? You seem to be the only one who is having ego issues to me.:nono:

elkmcc
January 4th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Weber State actually has a pretty good football stadium.

Yea, if it just weren't for those 2 teams that play in glorified barns.:eyebrow:

PantherRob82
January 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Yea, if it just weren't for those 2 teams that play in glorified barns.:eyebrow:

Is NAU's that bad?

elkmcc
January 4th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Is NAU's that bad?

No my comment was meant to be sarcasm. I was commenting on the Bison fans statement the "Weber had a pretty nice stadium". I took this to mean that besides Weber (and maybe Wa/Griz) no program in the BSC had a decent stadium. Personally I think "domes" are less than the best choice for football games to be played. But the Mini-Dome in Pocatello really is garbage can. The Walk up Sky Dome is ok I guess but nothing to write home about. Just MO.

Mountain Panther
January 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070104/SPORTS0202/701040349/1002/SPORTS

SDSU to attend Gateway meeting
Steffen verbally commits

I hope the SDSU/NDSU reps are forced to sit on really uncomfortable stools in the corner of the room...kind of like hazing.

Just kidding! I more than welcome these two teams - it will make the best conference in the country even better! :hurray:

slostang
January 4th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Please don't go, PLEASE!!!

spelunker64
January 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM
our paper is a day slower I guess than in SD

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=151810

MplsBison
January 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Please don't go, PLEASE!!!

Poly, Sac, and Davis are all going FBS in 10 years, so no worries.

pantherclaw
January 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I hope the SDSU/NDSU reps are forced to sit on really uncomfortable stools in the corner of the room...kind of like hazing.

Just kidding! I more than welcome these two teams - it will make the best conference in the country even better! :hurray:

OHHHH they should have to sit on those chairs and where big signs that say "recruit" or something. and everyone gets to glare menacingly at them, except Indiana State.

HEHEHE Just kidding. Bring them in.

slostang
January 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Poly, Sac, and Davis are all going FBS in 10 years, so no worries.
Sac and Davis maybe. No way for Cal Poly.

Hammerhead
January 5th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I see you are hard at work drilling holes in the initiation paddle for less air resistance and more speed. :asswhip:

http://www.damox.com/entertainment/dazed_and_confused/screens_benny_paddle.jpg

OHHHH they should have to sit on those chairs and where big signs that say "recruit" or something. and everyone gets to glare menacingly at them, except Indiana State.

HEHEHE Just kidding. Bring them in.

SO ILLmatic
January 5th, 2007, 10:06 PM
2/3rds (5 of 7) of the members will have to say yes if a vote is made a part of the agenda at the meeting.

The only two I could see voting no would be Y-Town (travel reasons) and IND St. (level of competition). Also the dark horse may be Mizzou St., some things I have read seem to put them on the fence right now. All the other members seem to support the expansion.

Hopefully the vote will be done at the meeting, the sooner the better IMO. It would make the transition to the 2008 season easier for all of the teams.

BisBison
January 5th, 2007, 10:22 PM
2/3rds (5 of 7) of the members will have to say yes if a vote is made a part of the agenda at the meeting.

The only two I could see voting no would be Y-Town (travel reasons) and IND St. (level of competition). Also the dark horse may be Mizzou St., some things I have read seem to put them on the fence right now. All the other members seem to support the expansion.

Hopefully the vote will be done at the meeting, the sooner the better IMO. It would make the transition to the 2008 season easier for all of the teams.

I've been hearing about Y-Town St's concerns about travel, but I think they signed a home and home with SDSU for '07 & '08. Is that not correct my rabbit brothers?

crunifan
January 5th, 2007, 10:35 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! I want NDSU and SDSU in the Gateway NOW!

Let's get this conference the best in FCS. People will fear the Gateway champion after that! xlolx

BearsCountry
January 6th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I hope Missouri State does the right thing and votes for the Dakota schools. I know they want to dumb down the schedule ala like K-State to get wins but in the long term the Dakotas make so much sense.

89rabbit
January 6th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I've been hearing about Y-Town St's concerns about travel, but I think they signed a home and home with SDSU for '07 & '08. Is that not correct my rabbit brothers?

They did indeed. :thumbsup:

FlyYtown
January 6th, 2007, 10:27 AM
YOUNGSTOWN STATE is 100% behind NDSU and SDSU joining the Gateway.

YSU did say if they were vetoed from joining, and INSU was to leave the GFC, we would look to other leagues and to the MAC.

HI54UNI
January 6th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Bring em on!

:thumbsup:

igo4uni
January 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM
and everyone gets to glare menacingly at them, except Indiana State.

That is funny!!!:D :D :D :D xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

HLecter
January 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM

Who from YSU complained about travel? Some posters on here? They don't go to the away games anyway.xcoffeex

AD, Coach and Admin. solidly behind the Dakota schools, we welcome them. Will only make the best conference better.

igo4uni
January 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM
we welcome them. Will only make the best conference better.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

BisBison
January 7th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Who from YSU complained about travel? Some posters on here? They don't go to the away games anyway.xcoffeex

AD, Coach and Admin. solidly behind the Dakota schools, we welcome them. Will only make the best conference better.

That's what I was thinking, it didn't seem to make sense to me either.

FlyYtown
January 7th, 2007, 11:03 AM
That's what I was thinking, it didn't seem to make sense to me either.
I hope you aren't talking about me. I am for the move. It makes our schedule have 2 more elite programs in what is now arguably----------FCS #1 CONFERENCE!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

HLecter
January 7th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I hope you aren't talking about me. I am for the move. It makes our schedule have 2 more elite programs in what is now arguably----------FCS #1 CONFERENCE!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

FLY, I didn't mean you. I was just responding to that other post.
Maybe they travelled over to YSUpenguins.com, there are a few on there that are against it.

What is the address for your site?

JackTwice
January 7th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Here is the link to our site

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

HLecter
January 7th, 2007, 07:04 PM

NO WAY YSU VOTES NO!

FlyYtown
January 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Here is the link to my site. Not sure who your request was directed to Mooney grad.

eGuins Penguin Community (http://eguins.frihost.net/cms)

igo4uni
January 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Here is the link to our site

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

They have the internet in South Dakota??:cool: :cool: :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) xlolx xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

JackTwice
January 8th, 2007, 10:01 PM
At least we don't have Sioux City!:thumbsup:

igo4uni
January 8th, 2007, 10:15 PM

LOL!!

good point!!:D :D :D :D

bison95
January 9th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Oh you do, not much of it but you have some:smiley_wi