PDA

View Full Version : Indiana St Dumps Defensive Staff

TexasTerror
January 3rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Lou West is going with the defensive staff as the reason his team had issues this past season. And blaming the staff leads to the loss of jobs for the whole defensive staff...

ISU fires coaches of country’s worst Division I-AA defense
By David Hughes
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Last in total defense. Last in scoring defense. Last in rushing defense.

Staring at those depressing rankings in the final 2006 NCAA Division I-AA national team statistics, Indiana State football coach Lou West decided big changes were needed before serious preparation began for the 2007 season.

So he announced this week that the contracts of his entire defensive coaching staff — defensive coordinator Aubrey Kelly, linebackers coach Matt Egloff, defensive-line coach Todd Middleton and cornerbacks coach Kenny Burress — will not be renewed after they expire Jan. 31.

“It was a tough decision,” West told the Tribune-Star on Tuesday. “They’re not only good coaches, but they’re good people. I just decided I wanted to go in a different direction.”

West said the deciding factor, if he had to pinpoint the main reason for their termination, was that not enough creativity went into defensive planning.

http://www.tribstar.com/collegesports/local_story_002235113.html

MR. CHICKEN
January 3rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
HOPE DEY CANNED....DUH DEFENSIVE...RECRUITERS.....AWK!

Pauly LB
January 3rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
And Lou West kept his job -- didn't he hire the defensive staff as well as have the final say in the guys that they recruited on defense. I guess that nobody fires themself !!! Anyone want to work for this guy???

Appaholic
January 4th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Perhaps Indiana State should consider dropping it's football program.....or at least dropping to DII......could swap out for NDSU

Cap'n Cat
January 4th, 2007, 01:41 PM
It always troubles Cap'n Cat when coaches lose their jobs, especially assistants, and especially this way. Fact is, unless they were out-and-out jokes, they are NOT the ones failing to tackle, intercept and sack. Perhaps the players, most of them not his, were of poor recruiting stock.

****, it's tough, but why not try putting in a new defensive scheme? There's time. In 1987, Northern Iowa did it for a game versus Western Illinois in less than a week. Beat 'em 52-7. Then, went back to the old one, won the conference and went to the semi's. It can be done.

Again, I'm not there, and maybe the coaches were holdovers from the previous regime, but............

:confused: :confused: :confused:

lizrdgizrd
January 4th, 2007, 02:22 PM
It always troubles Cap'n Cat when coaches lose their jobs, especially assistants, and especially this way. Fact is, unless they were out-and-out jokes, they are NOT the ones failing to tackle, intercept and sack. Perhaps the players, most of them not his, were of poor recruiting stock.

****, it's tough, but why not try putting in a new defensive scheme? There's time. In 1987, Northern Iowa did it for a game versus Western Illinois in less than a week. Beat 'em 52-7. Then, went back to the old one, won the conference and went to the semi's. It can be done.

Again, I'm not there, and maybe the coaches were holdovers from the previous regime, but............

:confused: :confused: :confused:
I smells like scapegoating to me. :nono: