PDA

View Full Version : Most prestigous I-AA team

nlwwln
July 9th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Throughout the history of 1 aa football there have been some great teams and a few dynastys a few schools that come to mind are eku, youngstown, montana, georgia southern, mcneese. They seem to be the no brainers but who do you think over the years has develpoed into the best most recognizable name in all of 1aa. This is a tough question considering there are so many great schools deep in tradition but i would have to go with good old appalachian state. If you have ever visited the school you cannot help but be taken back by the beauty of the campus and the beautiful stadium nestled in woods. I think appalachian state is everything that a 1aa school should exemplify and every program should try to match those standards. The uniforms are awesome and what a great nickname. The athletics program seems to stand for everything the university is. hopefully they dont go d1 anytime soon because i think they are such a big part of 1aa and if they left they would take a peice of us with them.

bluedog
July 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Hands down.........Grambling University!!!

ChiefGSU275
July 9th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Wow. :eek: I think Georgia Southern has so much more prestige than app state that I am going to assume you are one of the hippies that smoke pot up on the hills behind Kidd Brewer (i've seen 'em, they're there!). GSU is everything app state is, PLUS a great winning football tradition (6 National titles, in case you lost count). Also, GSU has a beautiful campus, and it is ever growing, and is home to the "Prettiest Little Stadium in America" Paulson Stadium.

However, I will forgive you. you obviously dont know much, because you dont want App State to go D1, which they have been for quite some time now. :doh:

rokamortis
July 9th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Georgia Southern, Montana and Delaware

These are the teams that other I-AA programs strive to be like.

edit - added delaware and coments

nlwwln
July 9th, 2005, 12:13 PM
i see your points cheif, georgia southern is one of the best in all of 1aa and there is nothing wrong with being a hippy. as far as i am concerned app state is the ultimate gameday football atmosphere and who actually titled your stadium the prettiest little stadium in america because ive seen the pictures and its nice but not the nicest.

gsuwinsudont
July 9th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Curious. Just how many stadiums have you experienced to lead you to your App State conclusion.

P.S. How can you sing app's praises then insult them all in the same post. :rolleyes:

VictorG
July 9th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Tough question to answer but based on the origional question and post it seems like the statement should have included, schools which you have visited. I haven't visited a whole lot of schools so in my answer I cannot include setting, campus and the like. I'm just like a most other people in the country. I only know about the schools who consistantly win. In that case, I'd have to say the big four (or six) which have already been mentioned!

Also, I'm mostly a football fan. Other's may follow other sports and not football so their answer could be totally different than mine based upon what they are interested in.

bluedog
July 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Throughout the history of 1 aa football there have been some great teams and a few dynastys a few schools that come to mind are eku, youngstown, montana, georgia southern, mcneese. They seem to be the no brainers but who do you think over the years has develpoed into the best most recognizable name in all of 1aa. This is a tough question considering there are so many great schools deep in tradition but i would have to go with good old appalachian state. If you have ever visited the school you cannot help but be taken back by the beauty of the campus and the beautiful stadium nestled in woods. I think appalachian state is everything that a 1aa school should exemplify and every program should try to match those standards. The uniforms are awesome and what a great nickname. The athletics program seems to stand for everything the university is. hopefully they dont go d1 anytime soon because i think they are such a big part of 1aa and if they left they would take a peice of us with them.

:read:

bluedog
July 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Wow. :eek: I think Georgia Southern has so much more prestige than app state that I am going to assume you are one of the hippies that smoke pot up on the hills behind Kidd Brewer (i've seen 'em, they're there!). GSU is everything app state is, PLUS a great winning football tradition (6 National titles, in case you lost count). Also, GSU has a beautiful campus, and it is ever growing, and is home to the "Prettiest Little Stadium in America" Paulson Stadium.

However, I will forgive you. you obviously dont know much, because you dont want App State to go D1, which they have been for quite some time now. :doh:

All of two post, nothing more really needs to be said.

Baldy
July 9th, 2005, 01:04 PM

This is a joke, right?
Please tell me your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek when you wrote this.

Baldy
July 9th, 2005, 01:06 PM
All of two post, nothing more really needs to be said.

Thats right, dog......
Chief pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Coastal89
July 9th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Since when did post count become the qualifier for the validity of a persons oppinion?

eaglesrthe1
July 9th, 2005, 01:34 PM
If you're talking recognition, then Harvard, Yale, and yes Grambling. If your talking football, then any of the names mentioned before hand.

Personally. I think you're just trying to stir up some...uh...stuff!

rokamortis
July 9th, 2005, 01:48 PM
What a warm welcome to a new member :rolleyes:

Welcome to AGS nlwwln - it is nice to see a few GWU bulldog fans come around. Hopefully these guys don't run ya off :D

nlwwln
July 9th, 2005, 01:59 PM
how many chips has southern won? right......

nlwwln
July 9th, 2005, 02:05 PM
that loss to new hampshire last year must have been a tough one, guess you didnt know what you were going up against...a freshman qb

eaglesrthe1
July 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM
A Runnin Bulldog that talks trash. I like. :)

Kinda like watching midget wrestling. You know it's not real, but it's fascinating in its own little way. :cool:

nlwwln
July 9th, 2005, 02:46 PM
its not nice to talk about midgets like that

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 9th, 2005, 03:49 PM
If pre-1AA counts then i don't think there's any doubt it's Yale. Since 1978 or whenever 1-AA was formed either Deleware, Georgia Southern or Montana. Youngstown State would get some consideration if they hadn't dropped off the face of the earth the last 4 years or so.

eagleskins
July 9th, 2005, 03:58 PM
If pre-1AA counts then i don't think there's any doubt it's Yale. Since 1978 or whenever 1-AA was formed either Deleware, Georgia Southern or Montana. Youngstown State would get some consideration if they hadn't dropped off the face of the earth the last 4 years or so.

Delaware? They have only 1 title. It's GSU in a landslide.

blur2005
July 9th, 2005, 04:17 PM
I gotta say it's like this:

Name recognition: Grambling, the big-time Ivies like Harvad and Yale.
Teams other teams want to be: Georgia Southern, Montana, Delaware
Most prestigious in terms of winning: No question, Georgia Southern

bluedog
July 9th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Thats right, dog......
Chief pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Maybe you can translate that so us humans can understand it.

Gort
July 9th, 2005, 05:07 PM
If you're only talking about on the field accomplishments, it's GSU, but if facilities, fan support, tradition and academics are included it's Montana and Delaware.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 9th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I know a lot of people who don't even know that GSU exists. In terms of name recognition UD is on par if not above GSU and I think name recognition has to count for something. It's hard to be very prestigous if 70% of people asked have no idea what Georgia Southern is. I had no clue of their accomplishments until about '98.

nlwwln
July 9th, 2005, 05:25 PM
well since weve talked about teams that are already well established lets talk about some schools that have bright futures in 1aa
A10
JMU After a national championship season that really gives the dukes something to build off especially in a good recruiting state like VA.
Richmond although they have a long way to go new coach dave clawson will lead them in the right direction and with 19 returning starters they look like the surprise team in the A10
Big Sky
Eastern Washington Looks like the makings for another great big sky team, had a nice run in the playoffs last season
Big South
CCU this one is a no brainer, coastal is off to a great start in its short college career going 10-1 last year and only lost 4 starters from last years team they have alot of nice talent on the roster and only imagine will bring in better talent year after year in a talent loaded state, and plus what a great location who would not want to go to school on the beach
OVC
Jacksonville state, although this team has experienced success in the years past i only expect greater things to come from them, watch out for this team in the coming years
SoCon
With so many great well established schools in the conference already, a school that i think has potential could be elon, its a great school in a pretty good location with a new beautiful stadium, cant imagine them not being able to bring in some decent talent in the future but playing such great teams week after week its definatly not going to be an easy task to bring elon to the top of the SoCon
Patriot
Another team to look for big things in the future is lehigh. They really seem to be doing things right there, seem to have experiened the most success in the conference year after year and never seem to have a down year lets see if they can prove themselves in the playoffs

Baldy
July 9th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Maybe you can translate that so us humans can understand it.

Need a translation? Try this.

http://www.greenwood.com/images/books/0893915785.jpg

;) :p

bluedog
July 9th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Wouldn't it have been easier to just say you don't know?

Go...gate
July 9th, 2005, 06:59 PM
IMHO, putting aside everything else and concentrating on a combination of national media visibility, football history, great players and competitiveness over an extended period of time on the national 1-AA and/or College Division or Division II level, I think the answer is Delaware, hands down. They have always been the prototype football program on that so-called "Small-College" level right below the biggest-time intercollegiate football programs.

JoltinJoe
July 9th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Here are the all-time most successful programs currently playing I-AA football (win totals through 2003 season). Five I-AA programs have amassed 700 all-time wins. Another four (Dartmouth, Lafayette, Delaware, and Lehigh) have at least 600 all-time wins. Both Delaware and Lehigh joined the 600-win club last season. Cornell needs just four wins to get to 600.

Yale 821 wins
Penn 828
Harvard 757
Princeton 751
Fordham 715

Source: 2004 NCAA Record Book.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/football_records_book/2004/2004_d1_football_records.pdf

Go to page 179 for all I-AA records.

ngineer
July 9th, 2005, 08:10 PM
its not nice to talk about midgets like that

Did you hear about the midget psychic who was sent to prison, but then escaped. The all-points-bulletin read: "Small medium at large." :D

Retro
July 9th, 2005, 08:29 PM
With Success comes recognition.. With recognition, comes support throughout the country. With that, Montana is the best selling I-AA school among merchandise sales..

I don't know if that translates into being the most recognizable, but it sure has to be considered.. Just like the top overall merchandise sellers in college are the ones who are the most recognizable names like Michigan, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, oklahoma, notre dame, etc...

GannonFan
July 9th, 2005, 09:14 PM
I don't think there's tons of argument here - GSU is prestigious based on the number of titles in such a short time (and running that spread option) - Delaware is prestigious based on 60 years of winning football, multiple national titles, 3 Hall of Fame coaches, and tremendous following, and Montana is more newly prestigious with more than a decade of great football and probably the best gameday atmosphere in IAA. I agree that Youngstown would be up here too but their fall from grace recently has dimmed their light.

Pen Guin
July 9th, 2005, 09:38 PM
If you're only talking about on the field accomplishments, it's GSU, but if facilities, fan support, tradition and academics are included it's Montana and Delaware.

Facilities: Stambaugh Stadium is second to none at the I-AA level.

Tradition: Success at the small college, DII, and I-AA levels. Large number of coaches in the Big-schools, small schools and pros. The only coach to ever win national titles at both DI levels, as a head coach. We hold the NCAA record for having the longest tenured head coach in history. Dike Beed coached the guins from 1932 to his retirement in 1973. The GM of the Chargers put his son at YSU, now maybe he is not a BCS-level player ... but with connections like that, he could have played where he wanted ... and he chose YSU. Maybe we have a ways to go, but that is still a sign of highest respect for a program. We may not fly 6 I-AA NC flags in our stadium ... but fly 4, along with a few runner-up flags.

Fan Support: When was the last time YSU was ever out of the top-10 in attendance? We regularly put players in the professional ranks ... including 3 in the NFL & 3 in the AFL right now. Not bad for a school our size.

Academics: For a state school, we do very well. Especially when you consider we are at the bottom of the D1 barrel for state funds. How many other schools gave program cover space to the 12 Engineering majors on the team? For that matter, how many power schools have even had a dozen engineering majors on their team? Our athlete to general student GPA ratio is one of the best in the nation at our level.

Performance: we may have "fell of the face of the earth over the last few years". But we still have winning records against GSU and Montana ... although losing records against Delaware and EKU. We didn't fall off, we are just a little hard to find at the moment.

Yes, I think we deserve a mention as one of I-AA's most recognized clubs. Besides, if we were not that recognized as a solid club, how would anyone know we are not playing up to par?

ccujacket
July 9th, 2005, 10:12 PM
This is really a questions just for I-AA fans, you'd be hard-pressed to find a non I-AA with "respect and admiration" for what a I-AA program has done.

IMO, the one and only answer is Georgia Southern. All the rest of these programs have been playing for 100 years. Georgia Southern starts a team and wins a title in their second year of football after a 40 year hiatus and continues to dominate en route to 6 National Championships in 20 years. They've been ranked in the Top 25 all but 4 years of their existence. Only ONE losing record and that was that coach's only year. Incredible.

In regards to YSU, for those of us that haven't been following I-AA football for too long it seems like your high point as a program was a little shady. Kind of like our basketball program's brief success was.

DemiGS
July 9th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I know a lot of people who don't even know that GSU exists. In terms of name recognition UD is on par if not above GSU and I think name recognition has to count for something. It's hard to be very prestigous if 70% of people asked have no idea what Georgia Southern is. I had no clue of their accomplishments until about '98.

Well is UD all that well known? Maybe if you happen to live in the mid-Atlantic, or New England. But to be honest, as a football fan growing up in Georgia, and Florida, I had never heard of UD and sure as hell didn't know what a blue hen was until I came to GSU and began following I-AA football in particular.

bluedog
July 9th, 2005, 11:28 PM
but who do you think over the years has develpoed into the best most recognizable name in all of 1aa.

JMU2004
July 9th, 2005, 11:57 PM
GSU... nough said, and to argue otherwise is a joke

Montana, UD, McNeese et al.... are next

Until HBCU's decide to play real 1-AA ball, the do not count.... If Hampton is the best they can offer, then, ugh, no thank you. Southern and Grambling are solid, but recently the players are looking Fat and Slow.... Jerome Mathis was sick though

Baldy
July 10th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Wouldn't it have been easier to just say you don't know?

That's the problem, what he said was crystal clear. Several other people responded to his reply without obvious trouble. Sorry you couldn't hang. If you're nice, maybe ralph can start an alternate, remedial AGS. :)

nlwwln
July 10th, 2005, 01:59 AM
let it go

Montana_Mojo
July 10th, 2005, 04:48 AM
The most prestigious program in 1-AA is very difficult to assess. It's a vague concept, but in that respect it is good because it leaves so much open for debate. IMO, there are many measuring sticks--history, facilities, accomplishments, fan support, name recognition.

First, though, I think it is important to keep things in perspective. The topic is "Most Prestigious 1-AA Team". Which means that we are talking about 1978-present, since 1-AA did not exist before then.

Second, I don't like the idea of considering Ivy League schools. The Ivy League schools don't participate in the 1-AA playoffs, and their reputation is based on academics primarily. They may be the most recognizable schools in 1-AA, but it isn't because of their football programs. I'm going to consider name recognition based on football accomplishments, not school name.

I'm going to rank five schools in five categories, based on criteria that can be measured since the inception of 1-AA football in 1978. It isn't relevant to consider how a certain program did in the 1940's. I will award points based on ranking in each category. Five points for a #1 ranking, four for a #2 ranking, etc. The program with the most points awarded is the program I believe is the most prestigious in 1-AA. Here are the five categories in no particular order:

-Accomplishments (the concrete stuff--National titles, playoff wins, etc.)

-Legacy (a program that continues to win every year and consistently makes its mark as a high caliber, winning program)

-Facilities (The program the best combination of highest quality and largest facilities)

-Fan Support (Program that consistently is a huge draw at home an on the road, and provides their team the best home field advantage.)

-Name Recognition (Programs that epitomize 1-AA success, and whose successes have become synonymous with 1-AA dominance. It's the programs that carry their name high, even though 1-AA doesn't garner that much national attention.)

Accomplishments

1. Georgia Southern: Six national titles out of eight appearances. The Eagles also have by far more playoff victories (38) than any other program. Younstown State is second with 23 victories. GSU also has 14 1-AA playoff appearances, and only Eastern Kentucky and Montana have more.

2. Youngstown State: The Penguins have four national titles with six appearances. This program was the team of the 1990's with four titles from 1991 to 1997, and also appearances in the title game in 1992 and 1999. YSU also is second all time in playoff wins with 23. YSU's football program hasn't made the playoffs since coach Jim Tressel left for Ohio State, but the dominance of the 1990's still makes it a program that commands the utmost respect.

3. Montana: The Griz have played in five national championship games, winning two. Montana is also third among current 1-AA teams in all-time playoff wins with 22. The Griz also hold the 1-AA record for consecutive playoff seasons at 12 (1993-2004), and consecutive wins at 24 games (spanning over the 2001-02 seasons).

4. Eastern Kentucky: The Colonels might be ranked higher if they had any playoff appearances to show for themselves over the last decade. But their last playoff game was a 48-0 spanking at Montana in first round in 1995. This program, though, was the premier 1-AA program of the late 70's and early 80's. EKU, under legendary coach Roy Kidd, played in four consecutive 1-AA national championships from 1979-82, winning two.

5. Furman: This was a tough call between Furman and Delaware. But Furman has a national title, as well as three appearances in the title game. Furman also has more playoff appearances than Delaware (Furman has 12, Delaware 11).

That's it for now. To be continued....

AgentOrange
July 10th, 2005, 04:56 AM
let it go
How in the hell can you bring up such a crucial subject as this and tell someone to "let it go"??

Let's finish what we started, or else I can finsh it for you.

It's purely simple. . . it is a matter of the 'Q' rating. And as of right now, it's a toss-up between the "final four"...> Delaware, Montana, Georgia Southern, and Furman.

I would include UNH, William and Mary, and James Madison, but the consistency remains to be seen.

Here's tp another year or finding out who is the top dog!

ChickenMan
July 10th, 2005, 06:33 AM
5. Furman: This was a tough call between Furman and Delaware. But Furman has a national title, as well as three appearances in the title game. Furman also has more playoff appearances than Delaware (Furman has 12, Delaware 11).

You probably were looking at some older 1AA playoff stats... Furman and Delaware both have 13 playoff appearences... FU is 15-12 in the playoffs... UD is 16-12

Montana_Mojo
July 10th, 2005, 07:05 AM
You were right about Delaware and Furman each having 13 appearances apiece. But that does not in any way change anything in my ranking of Furman over Delaware in my rankings of top five most accomplished 1-AA programs.

Pen Guin
July 10th, 2005, 07:48 AM
In regards to YSU, for those of us that haven't been following I-AA football for too long it seems like your high point as a program was a little shady

Dare I ask for an explanation of this comment CCUjacket?

Montana_Mojo
July 10th, 2005, 08:19 AM
"In regards to YSU, for those of us that haven't been following I-AA football for too long it seems like your high point as a program was a little shady"

I found that funny, too. Maybe this guy was thinking of Marshall. YSU has run a very clean program as far as I'm concerned. Tressel is finding himself involved in some controversy at Ohio State. But Youngstown was an awesome program in 1990's, and if there were any problems concerning inproprieties, you would think the issue would have been raised long ago.

JohnStOnge
July 10th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Kind of depends on the criteria. Objective measurements such as Montana selling the most merchandise are compelling.

But, even though I wasn't thinking along these lines until Blue Dog mentioned it, it may very well be Grambling. A few years ago when Eddie Robinson was still there there was more of an argument, but it's still a very high name recognition school with a very rich history. Establishing "prestige" is a subjective matter. You'd just about have to take a poll or vote of football fans across to country and just let them answer the question. Whoever the most people think is the most prestigous is the most prestigous. And I think Grambling would have a real shot at winning such a poll.

eaglesrthe1
July 10th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Personally. I think you're just trying to stir up some...uh...stuff!

I wuz right! :nod: :nod:

Montana_Mojo
July 10th, 2005, 08:47 AM
In terms of name recognition, Grambling is probably the top. Southern also gets some recognition. But it helps that these two teams play on national TV every season in the "Bayou Bowl".

IMO, they get more recognition than they deserve and are ransacked by the media because they are all-black schools. I don't think they should be considered because they are NOT prototypical 1-AA teams that participate in the playoffs and they have no play in the national championship picture.

ccujacket
July 10th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Dare I ask for an explanation of this comment CCUjacket?

The major infraction, obviously.

bluedog
July 10th, 2005, 10:47 AM
That's the problem, what he said was crystal clear. Several other people responded to his reply without obvious trouble.

Your right what he said was very clear......

but who do you think over the years has develpoed into the best most recognizable name in all of 1aa.

.....but as usual some of you have trouble with comprehening, example:

However, I will forgive you. you obviously dont know much, because you dont want App State to go D1, which they have been for quite some time now. :doh: others just doing anything they can to put spin on and some are just.... :dizzy:

But no matter how you look at it Grambling University, Harvard and Yale are the most recognizable names all of college football let alone in D-IAA.

ChiefGSU275
July 10th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Ok, after reading all these posts, i can see where the criteria has become more...involved than I initially thought. However, I still agree that GSU is the most prestigous 1-AA team in the country, with Montana and Delaware following very closely. I dont consider any of the Ivy League schools prestigous, simply because they have name recognition, and until they decide to join the big dance at the end of the season, they dont count, IMO. As far as Grambling, I agree that they have some of the best (if not THE best) name recognition of the 1-AA's, and I think that is attributed to a guaranteed Nationally Televised event every year, as well as having one of the greatest college football coaches at all time.

I am very intrigued to see how the rest of Montana_Mojo's rankings turn out, and to see how his points system determines the winner. I agree with him for the most part, but I did not follow 1-AA when EKU was in their prime, so I cant say much about them. And it is tough to decide between Furman and Delaware, although I probably would have given the nod to Delaware. He presents a valid argument for Furman though.

ccujacket
July 10th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Who has the most prestige and who has the most name recognition are to seperate, distinct questions.

Here's how I'd guess name recognition would go:

1) The Ivies - Everyone knows about the Ivy League
2) Villanova and Georgetown. Their basketball tradition has their name out there.
3) Grambling and Southern - Although I wonder how well they're known in the North and West.

89Hen
July 10th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Fan Support: When was the last time YSU was ever out of the top-10 in attendance?

1998 - 13. Youngstown 16,303
1999 - 16. Youngstown 16,006

JMU Duke Dog
July 10th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Here are my rankings of the top 12 prestigious I-AA schools in regards to how they have fared in the playoffs. I am sure there will be dispute over these rankings; however, I thought playoff success and championships would make a team become more prestigious. Comments welcome...

1. Georgia Southern
Playoff Record: 38-9
Playoff Appearances: 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 93, 95, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04
National Champions: 85, 86, 89, 90, 99, 00
National Runners-Up: 88, 98

2. Youngstown State
Playoff Record: 23-6
Playoff Appearances: 87, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 97, 99, 00
National Champions: 91, 93, 94, 97
National Runners-Up: 92, 99

3. Montana
Playoff Record: 22-13
Playoff Appearances: 82, 88, 89, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04
National Champions: 95, 01
National Runners-Up: 96, 00, 04

4. Eastern Kentucky
Playoff Record: 16-15
Playoff Appearances: 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 97
National Champions: 79, 92
National Runners-Up: 80, 81

5. Delaware
Playoff Record: 16-12
Playoff Appearances: 81, 82, 86, 88, 91, 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 00, 03, 04
National Champions: 03
National Runners-Up: 82

6. Furman
Playoff Record: 15-12
Playoff Appearances: 82, 83, 85, 86, 88, 89, 90, 96, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04
National Champions: 88
National Runners-Up: 01

7. Western Kentucky
Playoff Record: 8-7
Playoff Appearances: 87, 88, 97, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04
National Champions: 02

8. McNeese State
Playoff Record: 11-11
Playoff Appearances: 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 97, 98, 00, 01, 02, 03
National Runners-Up: 97, 02

9. Northern Iowa
Playoff Record: 12-11
Playoff Appearances: 85, 87, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 01, 03

10. Massachusetts
Playoff Record: 6-5
Playoff Appearances: 78, 88, 90, 98, 99, 03
National Champions: 98
National Runners-Up: 78

11. James Madison
Playoff Record: 6-5
Playoff Appearances: 87, 91, 94, 95, 99, 04
National Champions: 04

12. Florida A&M
Playoff Record: 5-7
Playoff Appearances: 78, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01
National Champions: 78

89Hen
July 10th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I think Grambling would have a real shot at winning such a poll.
I almost agree... IF you asked the general public:

Who is the most prestigious I-AA football program?
A. Montana
B. Grambling
C. Georgia Southern
D....

Then I think Grambling has a really good shot at winning. If you asked the general public to name the most prestigious I-AA program, I seriously doubt that Grambling comes in the top 5. I don't think the general public knows much about I-AA to begin with, but I really don't think most have any clue that Grambling is even a I-AA team. I'd be willing to wager that a majority think the Bayou Classic is either a battle of two I-A teams or two DII teams.

89Hen
July 10th, 2005, 11:28 AM
4. Eastern Kentucky
Playoff Appearances: 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 97

(Note, EKU's second NC was 82, not 92)
EKU is about to be passed by Delaware, Furman and several others. Looking at their numbers, no appearances since 1997, last finals appearance 1982... they are really going to start falling down these rankings. A lot of their success was before quite a few of the now good I-AA's were even in I-AA. They certainly haven't kept up sorry to say.

nlwwln
July 10th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I think the general overall consensus has pretty much been the same, the five same schools seem to be consistanly coming up, true there are many points to argue some more valid than others but i think everyone tends to agree at least on the top five. so how do you really come to the conclusion on who is number one. I think you have to rule out all ivies although you cannot argue their prestige but when i created the post i intended it to be from when division 1aa had begun which was back in 1978. Ivies are in somewhat a league of their own you have to agree that they kind of seclude themselves from the rest of 1aa so really its hard to mention that in this post. I am looking at the schools who since 1978 and into recent years have built a name for themselves through different aspects such as championships, playoff appearences, fan support and best facilities. I think the ones that i had mentioned in the beggining are all quite worthy of the title but i will have to correct myself and say that georgia southern has to be at the top of the pack considering all the facts
Once again here is my top 5
1.Georgia Southern
2.Montana
3.Delaware
4.Youngstown
5.Eastern Kentucky
Somewhere floating around those names ill toss in grambling

RadMann
July 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
The topic says most prestigious I-AA team. It does not say most prestigous but only considering results since I-AA was formed. I'd say you need to look at all-time wins to determine the list. This would include:

Yale
Pennsylvania
Harvard
Princeton
Dartmouth
Lafayette
Delaware
Lehigh

Add to this group programs who have excelled in recent years including Ga. Southern, Montana, YSU and McNeese and I think you have the list....

veritech137
July 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM
6. Furman
Playoff Record: 15-12
Playoff Appearances: 82, 83, 85, 86, 88, 89, 90, 96, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04
National Champions: 88
National Runners-Up: 01

You missed one of Furman's national runner ups. It was against GSU in 1985.

JohnStOnge
July 10th, 2005, 01:39 PM
If you asked the general public to name the most prestigious I-AA program, I seriously doubt that Grambling comes in the top 5. I don't think the general public knows much about I-AA to begin with, but I really don't think most have any clue that Grambling is even a I-AA team. I'd be willing to wager that a majority think the Bayou Classic is either a battle of two I-A teams or two DII teams.

Hard to say. Main thing, I think, is that "prestige" is largely a subjective concept. You don't have to be the best at something to be the most prestigous. Even if you had a poll the results would probably vary based on how you asked the question. But, for instance, if you did it by asking:

"Of the following five football programs, which is the most prestigous:

A) Montana, B) Georgia Southern, C) Eastern Kentucky, D) Youngstown State, E) Grambling ?"

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the majority of a random sample of college football fans answer "Grambling." Grambling has a very storied football history.

Of course I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen either. This is a thing I really don't have a feel for. I just think there's a chance because of all the publicity Eddie Robinson received, all the publicity over the number of wins he got, and the historical production of Hall of Fame caliber NFL players. Times have changed and it ain't what it used to be but it's a very storied football tradition. I mean, how many programs currently in I-AA have had a movie made about them? How many I-AA programs have been featured in a national television season opener?

JoltinJoe
July 10th, 2005, 01:41 PM
The topic says most prestigious I-AA team. It does not say most prestigous but only considering results since I-AA was formed. I'd say you need to look at all-time wins to determine the list. This would include:

Yale
Pennsylvania
Harvard
Princeton
Dartmouth
Lafayette
Delaware
Lehigh

Add to this group programs who have excelled in recent years including Ga. Southern, Montana, YSU and McNeese and I think you have the list....

Why would you exclude Fordham from this list? The Rams have 720 all-time wins, more than Dartmouth, Lafayette, Delaware and Lehigh. And is there any school playing Division I-AA football that ever had a national following as great as Fordham during the 1920's through the 1940's? I don't think there's any other program in I-AA can say they were once as popular as Notre Dame.

If you are looking at pre-Division I-AA history, you have to include Fordham.

ChickenMan
July 10th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Here are my rankings of the top 12 prestigious I-AA schools in regards to how they have fared in the playoffs. I am sure there will be dispute over these rankings; however, I thought playoff success and championships would make a team become more prestigious. Comments welcome...

4. Eastern Kentucky

Although their overall record may warrant #4... EKU's current streak of seven consecutive years of being absent from the playoffs would certainly drop them out of my top five. YSU has a similar problem... but theirs is only a four year absence and the fact that they have won four titles probably keeps them at #2.

GaSouthern
July 10th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Outside of ivy league I would say Montana first with DEL and GSU tied for second.

Eagle_77
July 10th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Yale
Pennsylvania
Harvard
Princeton
Dartmouth
Lafayette
Delaware
Lehigh

Hold on a sec. The person who started the thread trys to clear up exactly what it is that they are looking for and you are going to agrue with what it is he intended when he started the thread?
With so much being unclear with the direction of the thread he is trying to move it in the direction that he meant for it to go.

Thumper250
July 10th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I'd say Georgia Southern is the most consistently prestigious of that group.

Particularly if you consider that the modern program is less than 30 years old.

Killtoppers90
July 10th, 2005, 02:42 PM
When I thinkof 1-AA football Ga Southern is the first one (besides WKU of course) that I think of. I do live in GA but we really don't hear that much about it here in Atlanta. It is all UGA (YECH!) and Bulldogs that! But the Eagles have the Banners, the staduim, the fans and the passsion EVERY SEASON to compete. That is whY I think of them first.

JoltinJoe
July 10th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Hold on a sec. The person who started the thread trys to clear up exactly what it is that they are looking for and you are going to agrue with what it is he intended when he started the thread?
With so much being unclear with the direction of the thread he is trying to move it in the direction that he meant for it to go.

The problem is with the use of the term "most prestigious." When you use a term like that, you invite a response that highlights historical success.

I can't understand the mentality of viewing I-AA history solely from 1978. Many I-AA programs had storied histories that pre-exist the I-AA classification, and they have every right to be proud of those histories. In fact, if you are a proponent of I-AA football, you should be every bit as willing to promote the great, historical programs playing I-AA football, as well as the programs who have had great success since the initiation of the I-AA classification. Both have important value to I-AA football.

When Fordham made the final eight in I-AA in 2002, many papers nationwide, and national wire services, ran feature stories, celebrating the program's return to prominence as its game with Villanova approached. This was good for I-AA, and for the I-AA playoffs, as it brought more attention to the playoffs. Further, it brought a different storyline -- not the same story about a traditional I-AA power running the table.

bluedog
July 10th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Yale
Pennsylvania
Harvard
Princeton
Dartmouth
Lafayette
Delaware
Lehigh

But the question was...........

ccujacket
July 10th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Why would you exclude Fordham from this list? The Rams have 720 all-time wins, more than Dartmouth, Lafayette, Delaware and Lehigh. And is there any school playing Division I-AA football that ever had a national following as great as Fordham during the 1920's through the 1940's? I don't think there's any other program in I-AA can say they were once as popular as Notre Dame.

If you are looking at pre-Division I-AA history, you have to include Fordham.
College Football Data Warehouse says 420 Wins. But it also says Fordham was DIII for a while. So whats with the discrepency? Do you think they didn't count DIII games?

ccujacket
July 10th, 2005, 04:04 PM
But the question was...........

So the author of the thread wasn't very clear. The discussion in this thread is more about prestige than name-recognition.

Big Dawg
July 10th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Until HBCU's decide to play real 1-AA ball, the do not count.... If Hampton is the best they can offer, then, ugh, no thank you. Southern and Grambling are solid, but recently the players are looking Fat and Slow....

The players are Fat and Slow?

What games are you watching?

bluedog
July 10th, 2005, 05:04 PM
So the author of the thread wasn't very clear. The discussion in this thread is more about prestige than name-recognition.

........and you think that eliminates Grambling, Havard or Yale? :lmao:

bluedog
July 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM
The players are Fat and Slow?

What games are you watching?

The ones that people like him/her make up in they're minds.

JoltinJoe
July 10th, 2005, 05:08 PM
College Football Data Warehouse says 420 Wins. But it also says Fordham was DIII for a while. So whats with the discrepency? Do you think they didn't count DIII games?

My only thought is that it is a typo, since it is exactly 300 fewer wins than the NCAA Record Book recognizes. It's pretty easy to figure out how many all-time wins are officially recognized. You just have to go to the NCAA Record Book. Whatever it may say on the College Football Data Warehouse, the NCAA Record Book is the binding authority. Here is the 2004 NCAA Record Book (go to page 179 for all-time records) (2004 wins not included).

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/football_records_book/2004/2004_d1_football_records.pdf

In fact, Fordham's program has recorded 1,084 wins all time, including 23 wins in six club seasons, 278 wins against four-year schools not recognized by the NCAA, and 63 wins against semi-professional or club teams. The 720 win total counts games against only against NCAA sanctioned opponents.

nlwwln
July 10th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I just dont see how you can argue that still to this day the ivies are among the most prestige in all of 1aa, i mean obviously you look at the ivy leagues and no doubt they are the best overall academic institutions in the country and sure 100 years ago they were the most prestige football programs but that was in all of college football not just the 1aa level. lets not get confused with the prestige of the school and the prestige of the football program. prestige meaning overall success of the program to this date. I guarentee with the exception of harvard or yale that any team in the southern conference or a10 most likly would win 9 out of 10 times against any other ivy league schools. reason being the ivy leagues dont bring in the best players bottom line. In my mind there is no question that the schools i mentioned before are at a much higher level of prestige than the ivy leagues. just look at game attendance alone, montana averages what 22k a game dont tell me harvard and yale do and they are the top ivy league programs. those stadiums are so big because they got nothin better to spend there money on, ask any top recruit who is being looked at by some D1a schools and the best 1aa schools in the country i guarentee they arent going to choose priceton over montana or yale over georgia southern. kids want to play at the best program they possibly can, the best programs have the best kids thus leads to the best programs have the most championships = georgia southern

Go...gate
July 10th, 2005, 09:10 PM
It is hard to include any of the the Ivies as part of the "1-AA's most prestigious" picture for three reasons; (1) they came to 1-AA kicking and screaming, especially the Big Three; (2) their reputations come, in prominent part, from their achievements as 1-A schools through 1981; though they are designated as Division 1-AA, they artifically insulate themselves from 1-AA by mostly playing each other; (3) they have only infrequently ventured outside the league, playing the occasional Patriot (the interlocking schedule agreement has pretty much faded away :mad: ), Pioneer and local A-10 opponent. They don't think of themselves as Division 1, Division 1-AA, or Division 3. They are the Ivy League.

nlwwln
July 10th, 2005, 10:49 PM
couldnt agree more

ngineer
July 10th, 2005, 11:12 PM
'prestige' is in the eye of the beholder. Is Lexus more 'prestigious' than an Infinity v. a Cadlilac v. a Jaguar v..or is it more prestigious to live in a four-bedroom colonial on a 1/2 acre lot versus a three bedroom ranch on three acres with a view, or....there is no answer... :confused:

blukeys
July 10th, 2005, 11:20 PM
couldnt agree more
Still your choice of Appy state leaves me scratching my head. They have no NC's at any level. A lot of campuses are nice looking but APPY is not in the league of Delaware or Montana for attendance.

If you want to automatically exclude the Ivies for being @ssholes by not competing in the playoffs, you will not get an argument from me. But state that in the first post as a premise. Prestigous can apply to academics (which the IVIES EXCEL AT) or to a lot more than academics but you never state that. Your first post was vague enough for anyone to interpret any way they wanted and thus you have a thread with a lot of posts.

When Interpreting the criteria of your FIRST post one can assume this means any current I-AA team. In this instance I have no problem with Fordham making a claim. They had a nationally ranked program (in what would now be called DI-A) in NYC for a number of years (an alumnus was a guy named Lombardi. Yeah that Lombardi). I will bet you a dinner in the best restaurant in NYC that more New Yorkers can recite the past accomplishments of Fordham than GSU. Remember NYC itself has 8 million people 99% of whom do not even know that GSU exists.

If you want some clear cut answers. GSU has won 6 NCs in I-AA. YSU is next. Appy State has a pretty setting. Why not ask "What I-AA campus has the best looking mountain site and a winning tradition in I-AA football. In this Appy State has a clear advantage over everyone other than Montana. In this case I pick Montana.

yomama
July 11th, 2005, 12:00 AM
1. Ivy League, esp. Harvard and Yale.

Yes, this has to do with the schools' academic reputations and their ancient football histories. It also has to do with a perception (accurate or not) that they are real student-athletes, play for the love of the game. This is a different image than, say, Randy Moss playing for Marshall.

2. Grambling.

When the U.S. was legally segregated, black college football was the best of the small colleges. Grambling was the black Notre Dame. The weekly Grambling highlights show was nationally syndicated. It aired immediately before Soul Train.

Take a look at their attendance. That's prestige they didn't get from I-AA. They got it in spite of being I-AA.

blukeys
July 11th, 2005, 12:15 AM
The weekly Grambling highlights show was nationally syndicated. It aired immediately before Soul Train.

Take a look at their attendance. That's prestige they didn't get from I-AA. They got it in spite of being I-AA.

That and in the 50's, 60's, and 70's Grambling sent about as many players to the pros as did Notre Dame. That has not been the case in the 90's and later.

yomama
July 11th, 2005, 12:25 AM
That has not been the case in the 90's and later.

Nor has it been the case with the Ivy League. Doesn't matter. I'm talking about a social atmosphere that goes way beyond football.

OL FU
July 11th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Most prestigous I-AA team

The above is the title of the thread. If you want to talk about most attractive campus, or football history or reputation, then there is a lot to discuss. If you want to talk about the title of the thread, then it is a no-brainer.

The winner is the heathens down in south Georgia. Without question. (And I am not talking about SSU)

BBB
July 11th, 2005, 07:37 AM
A Runnin Bulldog that talks trash. I like. :)

Kinda like watching midget wrestling. You know it's not real, but it's fascinating in its own little way. :cool:
LOL!!!

BBB
July 11th, 2005, 07:42 AM
With Success comes recognition.. With recognition, comes support throughout the country. With that, Montana is the best selling I-AA school among merchandise sales..

I don't know if that translates into being the most recognizable, but it sure has to be considered.. Just like the top overall merchandise sellers in college are the ones who are the most recognizable names like Michigan, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, oklahoma, notre dame, etc...

Name recognition is just that. Name recognition.

Carolina football team hasn't won an ACC title in 25 years. DUKE has won a ACC title since then. BUT, more people recognize Tar Heel football then Miami (Ohio) football, although the Redhawks beat the Heels the last two times they played.

With that being said, Championships HELP, but doesn't make your team the MOST recognized.

I'll go with the Ivies followed by(not in any order) Grambling, Montana, Georgia Southern, and Delaware.

BBB
July 11th, 2005, 07:46 AM
"In regards to YSU, for those of us that haven't been following I-AA football for too long it seems like your high point as a program was a little shady"

I found that funny, too. Maybe this guy was thinking of Marshall. YSU has run a very clean program as far as I'm concerned. Tressel is finding himself involved in some controversy at Ohio State. But Youngstown was an awesome program in 1990's, and if there were any problems concerning inproprieties, you would think the issue would have been raised long ago.

There WERE some "rumors" of inproprieties concerning the YSU program. I can't say if these are true because I'm not in that area. But, it does make you want to look back and wonder huh?

OL FU
July 11th, 2005, 07:54 AM
There WERE some "rumors" of inproprieties concerning the YSU program. I can't say if these are true because I'm not in that area. But, it does make you want to look back and wonder huh?

Off subject but one of my favorite quotes on cheating.

At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.
That costs money and we don't have any.
Erk Russell

BBB
July 11th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Off subject but one of my favorite quotes on cheating.

At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.
That costs money and we don't have any.
Erk Russell
I like that.

GannonFan
July 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Most prestigous I-AA team

The above is the title of the thread. If you want to talk about most attractive campus, or football history or reputation, then there is a lot to discuss. If you want to talk about the title of the thread, then it is a no-brainer.

The winner is the heathens down in south Georgia. Without question. (And I am not talking about SSU)

I don't know, last time I looked, prestige meant: " standing or estimation in the eyes of people: weight or credit in general opinion" - sounds a lot like reputation to me. And funny thing, people have their own opinions and they're not always based on the same thing. Yes, GSU has had the most on field success over the past 20 years, but the title never specified only the time spent in IAA (I take it to be any IAA team that is currently IAA) and prestige is a pretty broad term. That's why I think, IMO, you can't discount some of the Ivy's (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, not Columbia), and then Montana, UD, GSU, as well as Grambling.

89Hen
July 11th, 2005, 09:27 AM
the Eagles have the Banners, the staduim, the fans and the passsion EVERY SEASON to compete.

Not a knock on GSU or their fans, as they have one of the best followings in I-AA, but I've always been puzzled by their somewhat inconsistent attendance. What happened in 1999 and 2002?

2004: 6th with 15,123
2003: 11th with 15,793
2002: 15th with 12,284
2001: 8th with 18,660
2000: 11th with 16,254
1999: 21st with 13,154

OL FU
July 11th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I don't know, last time I looked, prestige meant: " standing or estimation in the eyes of people: weight or credit in general opinion" - sounds a lot like reputation to me. And funny thing, people have their own opinions and they're not always based on the same thing. Yes, GSU has had the most on field success over the past 20 years, but the title never specified only the time spent in IAA (I take it to be any IAA team that is currently IAA) and prestige is a pretty broad term. That's why I think, IMO, you can't discount some of the Ivy's (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, not Columbia), and then Montana, UD, GSU, as well as Grambling.

I can understand that position. But it did say team, not school, etc. (although the following description mention lots of characteristics.)
I think once you start getting our of I-AA history, there is no doubt that prestige can mean a lot of different things. I guess I prefer to narrow the criteria. For example, Deleware had a long storied history before I-AA. But how do you compare that to Furman who before Division I-AA was in a conference current SEC and ACC members. I guess I prefer to simplify and stay with football since 1978 and in the I-AA category. Makes things more comparable.

kats89
July 11th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I would have to say Marshall could be included in the list until they moved up to I-A.

89Hen
July 11th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Then I guess that elimintates them from the running. "who do you think over the years has develpoed into the best most recognizable name in all of 1aa". You agree that Grambling did all their developing prior to, and in spite of, I-AA. Case closed on Grambling. :p

OL FU
July 11th, 2005, 09:33 AM
I would have to say Marshall could be included in the list until they moved up to I-A.

Sucessful yes, Since Gannon clarified the definition of prestigious, no.

Also, their sucess was level was high but not as long term as many others.

eaglefan452
July 11th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Not a knock on GSU or their fans, as they have one of the best followings in I-AA, but I've always been puzzled by their somewhat inconsistent attendance. What happened in 1999 and 2002?

2004: 6th with 15,123
2003: 11th with 15,793
2002: 15th with 12,284
2001: 8th with 18,660
2000: 11th with 16,254
1999: 21st with 13,154

I can't really state a definite reason for '99, all I can think of is that fans were still not totally aware of the program's resurgance after about 7 years of mediocrity. That reason is a stretch though, GSU went to the playoffs in '97 and had an undefeated season in '98 until the championship.

As for 2002, that season was seen as a rebuilding year, we lost AP, we lost Paul Johnson, and we had a new quarterback. Starting off 1-2 didn't help either. Also, I hate using this as an excuse, but that was the year that UGA won their first SEC title in 20 years and there were many GSU "fans" that either stayed at home and watched the Dogs or went to the games in Athens rather than going to GSU games.

pete4256
July 11th, 2005, 10:40 AM
I can't really state a definite reason for '99, all I can think of is that fans were still not totally aware of the program's resurgance after about 7 years of mediocrity. That reason is a stretch though, GSU went to the playoffs in '97 and had an undefeated season in '98 until the championship.

As for 2002, that season was seen as a rebuilding year, we lost AP, we lost Paul Johnson, and we had a new quarterback. Starting off 1-2 didn't help either. Also, I hate using this as an excuse, but that was the year that UGA won their first SEC title in 20 years and there were many GSU "fans" that either stayed at home and watched the Dogs or went to the games in Athens rather than going to GSU games.

Attendance at GSU depends largely upon schedule strength and weather ( I wish it didn't but it does).

In 1999, we played a weak home schedule, with only Furman a must-see game. GSU fans tend to attend lightly games such as Fayetteville State (76-0), UTC (49-10), and WCU (70-7). We played only 5 home games that year, and only the FU game was not a guaranteed blowout.

In 2002, we had some of the same attendance factors early, with Gardner-Webb (56-0) and VMI (52-7) early. But what doomed the average attendance in 2002 was the last game of the season, a 41-3 dismantling of Jacksonville State during which it poured from kickoff to close and brought only 7K-odd fans. That will ruin attendance.

So, the concerns are valid--we don't draw for every game like Montana and Delaware do. It's sometimes hard for our fans to get up for blowouts in bad weather (rain or September temps). I wish we didn't have this problem, but we still far outdraw the rest of our conference.

eaglefan452
July 11th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks for those figures pete. I had forgotten about the '99 schedule, and that '02 game against Jax St. definitely had an adverse effect on the attendence numbers.

winstoneagle
July 11th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Delaware and Montana are the only teams to watch in their state (add Montana St.). We sit in an area that has ACC and SEC football to contend with. This isnt an excuse though, our students do a poor job of attending, as well as our alumni.

blueballs
July 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
That 2002 Jax Stete game was absolutely miserable. I couldn't get drunk enough to make myself comfortable. There was a river running about 6" deep through the middle of the parking lot. There couldn't have been more than a couple thousand folks there during the second half. I'll never forget BoosterEyes with her sandals freezing her little toesies off at the Red Flag but never leaving, what a trooper! It was actually worse than the UNH playoff game last year, which was nasty enough.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
this is a quote taken from Washington State's wr Michael Bumps

"Another key date to circle is Saturday, September 17. We’ll be coming to Seattle for our annual home game at Qwest Field. We’re taking on Grambling State, a school with one of the most incredible football traditions in the nation --- not to mention an internationally renown marching band that will be making the trip. You can get tickets by calling 206-628-0888 or on-line through www.ticketmaster.com.

This will be our fourth straight year playing a home game in Seattle. We’ve averaged close to 57,000 fans in those games. My personal challenge to all you great fans is to hit 60,000 for the Grambling game. "

http://washingtonstate.scout.com/2/390371.html

GannonFan
July 11th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Delaware and Montana are the only teams to watch in their state (add Montana St.). We sit in an area that has ACC and SEC football to contend with. This isnt an excuse though, our students do a poor job of attending, as well as our alumni.

While Montana is remote, Delaware sits squarely in the middle of the Northeast corridor, easily the most concentrated area of people and cities in the country. Philly is less than an hour to the north, Baltimore less than an hour to the south, and both New York City and Washington DC aren't a lot further. There's Big East football right nearby, Big Ten football with Penn St, and ACC football with Maryland. Easily more than half of UD fans come from outside of Delaware state proper, but even if they didn't, you get Philly and Baltimore stations in the area (there are no "Delaware" stations) and there's ample things to compete with UD football - Delaware is a pretty small state, but there's a lot of things to compete against right next door - heck, the number of IAA schools within 2 hours of UD is around 10 or more (just a ballpark guess). Remember, the East Coast, particularly the Northeast, is kinda crowded with stuff.

ChickenMan
July 11th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Well there is Del St... ;)

but UD does have competiton for the sports dollar... being located in an area that is only 35 miles from Philly... 65 from Baltimore... 90 from DC and about 120 from NYC. All those locations are closer to Newark than Atlanta or other SEC schools are to Statesboro and the region does contain numerous 1A and 1AA programs... along with five NFL teams. But you're correct in that UD football has been the dominate sport of interest in the state of Delaware for quite a long time.

89Hen
July 11th, 2005, 02:48 PM
No need to pile on Winston, but another point... there are as many people in my county in Maryland as there are in Delaware or Montana. Good programs build themselves regardless of population or competition.

JoltinJoe
July 11th, 2005, 05:39 PM
When Interpreting the criteria of your FIRST post one can assume this means any current I-AA team. In this instance I have no problem with Fordham making a claim. They had a nationally ranked program (in what would now be called DI-A) in NYC for a number of years (an alumnus was a guy named Lombardi. Yeah that Lombardi). I will bet you a dinner in the best restaurant in NYC that more New Yorkers can recite the past accomplishments of Fordham than GSU. Remember NYC itself has 8 million people 99% of whom do not even know that GSU exists.

Lombardi is the third guy from the left in my avatar, the smallest and least talented of the "Seven Blocks of Granite" line. Jim Crowley, the Fordham coach from 1933 through 1942 (of Notre Dame "Four Horsemen" fame) asserted Lombardi was one of the most coachable players he ever had, though, and that he was able to hold his own with his more famous linemates with technically perfect foot-work. Lombardi learned his footwork from Fordham's line coach at the time, Frank Leahy. Leahy left Fordham and became one of the most successful coaches in college football history at Notre Dame.

Lombardi's famous grin, incidentally, resulted from a vicious hit he took to the face during the 1936 Pitt game, which cost him his front two teeth.

In time, Lombardi became the most famous of the group, of course.

Thumper250
July 11th, 2005, 05:41 PM
So we've settled this right?

Georgia Southern is the most prestigious I-AA program.

As a test, I'd say if you asked a I-A sports writer at any of the major newspapers nationally, over 90 percent would rattle off Georgia Southern more consistently than any other.

They are I-AA football more consistently than any other. Great years on occasion by Delaware, Montana and others - even furman - but the Eagles are at it every year, 2003 as the rare exception.

Youngstown State could have challenged until recently. Appy State is usually overhyped and never advances in the postseason. Marshall was THE force until moving up, so they don't count.

CrunchGriz
July 11th, 2005, 06:18 PM

As a test, I'd say if you asked a I-A sports writer at any of the major newspapers nationally, over 90 percent would rattle off Georgia Southern more consistently than any other.

They are I-AA football more consistently than any other. Great years on occasion by Delaware, Montana and others - even furman - but the Eagles are at it every year, 2003 as the rare exception.

Youngstown State could have challenged until recently. Appy State is usually overhyped and never advances in the postseason. Marshall was THE force until moving up, so they don't count.

While I think you came to the right conclusion (at least if you mean the most prestigious in terms of performance in I-AA football), I think your reasoning is a little off.

If continuous high performance is your gauge, especially recent performance, then Montana is probably on a par with GSU. Montana has reached the playoffs in every one of the last 12 seasons, the all-time I-AA record for "straight playoff seasons", as well as playing in half of the last 10 championship games. Arguably, Montana has had 12 straight "great" seasons. (Montana fans would admit that some of these teams were not great teams, and five first-round losses in this time span would seem to indicate that they weren't the best squads around. Still, twelve playoffs in a row is nothing to sneeze at.)

Where GSU wins this argument is in ultimate successes. Those six flags make them the dominant program in I-AA history. Even a die-hard Griz fan like me can't argue that one.

If prestige is not based on performance, but rather on name recognition, then neither GSU nor Montana are in the top five. Grambling, Harvard, Yale, and other teams whose heydays have passed them by, but whose reputations continue in the minds of sportswriters and casual fans, are easily more "prestigious" in this sense.

Notre Dame and Penn State still command respect, too. That doesn't make them national championship-caliber programs today, though. Reputations have to be earned, but they tend to linger long after performance begins to wane.

GannonFan
July 11th, 2005, 06:29 PM

I'd love to see that tested - no way do 90% say that, IMO - you're giving these guys way too much respect in terms of their knowledge.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 08:09 PM
If prestige is not based on performance, but rather on name recognition, then neither GSU nor Montana are in the top five. Grambling, Harvard, Yale, and other teams whose heydays have passed them by, but whose reputations continue in the minds of sportswriters and casual fans, are easily more "prestigious" in this sense.

Notre Dame and Penn State still command respect, too. That doesn't make them national championship-caliber programs today, though. Reputations have to be earned, but they tend to linger long after performance begins to wane.
case closed. :deadhorse

ccujacket
July 11th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Prestige: - Respect and admiration given to someone or something, usually because of a reputation for high quality, success or social influence.

Are Yale, Harvard, Grambling etc respected and admired? Are any I-AA's respected and admired by your average NCAA football fan for their football?

The answer is no.

So the only reasonable discussion to have is who is respected and admired the most by I-AA fans. Then the only answer is Georgia Southern.

GaSouthern
July 11th, 2005, 08:22 PM
HAHA spoken like a GSU fan if it had not been for your avatar then I would have assumed you were one of us! hehe

89Hen
July 11th, 2005, 09:08 PM
who is respected and admired the most by I-AA fans. Then the only answer is Georgia Southern.
I don't necessarily agree. Other than UD of course, I respect and admire Montana's program more than GSU. That's not to say I don't respect and admire GSU. But Montana has developed into a great program with a following that is almost unmatched in I-AA. How many stadium expansions have they built and filled in Statesboro?

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Prestige: - Respect and admiration given to someone or something, usually because of a reputation for high quality, success or social influence.

Are Yale, Harvard, Grambling etc respected and admired? Are any I-AA's respected and admired by your average NCAA football fan for their football?

The answer is no.

So the only reasonable discussion to have is who is respected and admired the most by I-AA fans. Then the only answer is Georgia Southern.
Grambling is very respected. Maybe not on this board but around the world, they are. You ask the average Joe on the street this same question and I guarentee they will say Grambling 9 out of 10 times. When Grambling was having accrediation problems the President of the United States as well as other high political figures called to insure that Grambling would be ok. Here is a quote by Paul Tagliabue.

“When you talk about football Grambling stands up there as an Icon type of name. When you think of Grambling, you think of Notre Dame, you probably think of places like Ohio State, Oklahoma, during the Bud Wilkinson days and other institutions that are synonymous with college football.” --- NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue's opinion on one of the most storied college programs of all time – the mighty G-MEN of Grambling State

Prestige is when a movie is made about your football team. Prestige is when your band appeared on several national commercials(coca-cola). Prestige is when at one time your school had the most players in the NFL. Prestige is when your coach, at one time, was the all-time leader in victory's in the NCAA. I could go on and on but I won't. It is clear who is the most Prestigious but some of you will not admit it because Grambling is an HBCU.

here is my list

1.GRAMBLING
2.Harvard
3.Yale
4.FAMU
5.SOUTHERN

blukeys
July 11th, 2005, 09:29 PM
1.GRAMBLING
2.Harvard
3.Yale
4.FAMU
5.SOUTHERN

You blew it with the last 2. Believe me amongst I-AA fans around here no one has even HEARD of Southern (that includes Del State fans.) DSU is well aware of FAMU but right now FAMU is looking the fool for their screwed up foray into I-A and the dirt coming out with the Billy Joe firing.

Your first 3 only get a nod due to past Prominence and in the case of Harvard and Yale the Ivy connection. Outside of classics against other HBCU schools, what games of significance has Southern won? How did you guys do against McNeese last year?

TheValleyRaider
July 11th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Grambling is very respected.

You ask the average Joe on the street this same question and I guarentee they will say Grambling 9 out of 10 times.

“When you talk about football Grambling stands up there as an Icon type of name. When you think of Grambling, you think of Notre Dame, you probably think of places like Ohio State, Oklahoma, during the Bud Wilkinson days and other institutions that are synonymous with college football.” --- NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue's opinion on one of the most storied college programs of all time – the mighty G-MEN of Grambling State

Prestige is when a movie is made about your football team. Prestige is when your band appeared on several national commercials(coca-cola). Prestige is when at one time your school had the most players in the NFL. Prestige is when your coach, at one time, was the all-time leader in victory's in the NCAA.

I gotta ask, does it hurt at you as a Southern fan to post all these nice things about Grambling? ;)

blukeys
July 11th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I gotta ask, does it hurt at you as a Southern fan to post all these nice things about Grambling? ;)

Note. you don't see any UD fans saying this about Villanova

Big Dawg
July 11th, 2005, 09:46 PM
You blew it with the last 2. Believe me amongst I-AA fans around here no one has even HEARD of Southern (that includes Del State fans.) DSU is well aware of FAMU but right now FAMU is looking the fool for their screwed up foray into I-A and the dirt coming out with the Billy Joe firing.

What do you mean no one has even heard of Southern? I honestly think that you guys are underestimating the HBCU's now. Some teams may get their feelings hurt this year.

I tired of hearing people talk about Classics and ish. Those are NOT the only games we play. Hell, the other HBCU games we play are CONFERENCE opponents and other traditional rivalries.

As for FAMU we were going to the playoffs before the violations...and we won before the violations too...as for Billy Joe(outside the violations), he lost to BCC 3 years in a row. You can't lose to your rival that many years in a row and expect people to be happy...LOL

ccujacket
July 11th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Grambling is very respected. Maybe not on this board but around the world, they are. You ask the average Joe on the street this same question and I guarentee they will say Grambling 9 out of 10 times. When Grambling was having accrediation problems the President of the United States as well as other high political figures called to insure that Grambling would be ok. Here is a quote by Paul Tagliabue.

Considering the average Joe thinks I-AA is division II and doesn't even know who competes at I-AA. I guarantee you if I asked them who was the most respected I-AA team without naming any choices, you wouldn't have 9/10 for Grambling. Half of the teams named wouldn't be I-AA.

When asked who the most prestigious team is in I-AA you'd probably get answers along the lines of "I don't know any I-AA teams."

People here are really having a hard time with the average Joe. Paul Tagliabue is not the average Joe, the President is not the average Joe. The average Joe has never seen a I-AA football game. The average Joe knows USC, Michigan, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Miami, Tennessee etc as College Football. They don't know jack about I-AA or who competes in it.

All I knew about I-AA football having grown up was that Georgia Southern won a lot and if I hadn't grown up in Georgia I doubt I would have even known that.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Considering the average Joe thinks I-AA is division II and doesn't even know who competes at I-AA. I guarantee you if I asked them who was the most respected I-AA team without naming any choices, you wouldn't have 9/10 for Grambling. Half of the teams named wouldn't be I-AA.

When asked who the most prestigious team is in I-AA you'd probably get answers along the lines of "I don't know any I-AA teams."

People here are really having a hard time with the average Joe. Paul Tagliabue is not the average Joe, the President is not the average Joe. The average Joe has never seen a I-AA football game. The average Joe knows USC, Michigan, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Miami, Tennessee etc as College Football. They don't know jack about I-AA or who competes in it.

All I knew about I-AA football having grown up was that Georgia Southern won a lot and if I hadn't grown up in Georgia I doubt I would have even known that.
Trust me the average Joe knows Grambling.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 10:26 PM
It really doesn't. Southern and Grambling have a friendly rivalry.Southern and Grambling are split down family lines so it has to be like that. Now if it was Jackson State or Famu that would be another thing. :D

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Outside of classics against other HBCU schools, what games of significance has Southern won? How did you guys do against McNeese last year?

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/southern/national_champs.php

Southern Bowl History

No Major Bowl Games Played

College Division/Other Bowl Games

Other Bowl Record: 8-3-0

No
W/L
Date
PF
Opponent
PA
Bowl

L
01-01-1943
North Carolina A&T
Flower Bowl

W
12-25-1946
Tuskegee (AL)
Yam Bowl

W
12-25-1947
Fort Valley St. (GA)
Yam Bowl

W
San Francisco St. (CA)
Fruit Bowl

W
12-27-1975
South Carolina St.
Pelican Bowl

W
01-01-1994
South Carolina St.
Heritage Bowl

W
12-29-1995
Florida A&M
Heritage Bowl

L
12-31-1996
Howard (DC)
Heritage Bowl

W
12-27-1997
South Carolina St.
Heritage Bowl

W
12-26-1998
Bethune-Cookman (FL)
Heritage Bowl

L
12-18-1999
Hampton (VA)
Heritage Bowl

Southern Recognized National Championships

Composite Championship Listings

Recognized National Championships

Conference Championships

Total National Championships

No Major College National Championships

9 Small College National Championship Year(s)

No
Year
Record
Selector

12-0-0
Black College National Champions

10-0-1

10-0-1

10-1-0

9-1-0

11-1-0

11-1-0

11-1-0

12-1-0

17 Conference Championship Year(s)

No
Year
Record
Championship

4-1-1

Southwestern Athletic Conference Co-Champions

5-1-0

5-0-0

Southwestern Athletic Conference Champions

7-0-0

7-0-0

6-0-1

7-0-0

6-1-0

7-0-0

6-1-0

4-2-1

4-2-0

7-0-0

8-0-0

8-0-0

9-0-0

6-1-0

3 Conference Division Championship(s)

No
Year
Record
Championship

9-0-0
SWAC - Western Division Champions

6-1-0

6-1-0

blukeys
July 11th, 2005, 10:54 PM
What do you mean no one has even heard of Southern? I honestly think that you guys are underestimating the HBCU's now. Some teams may get their feelings hurt this year.

I tired of hearing people talk about Classics and ish. Those are NOT the only games we play. Hell, the other HBCU games we play are CONFERENCE opponents and other traditional rivalries.

As for FAMU we were going to the playoffs before the violations...and we won before the violations too...as for Billy Joe(outside the violations), he lost to BCC 3 years in a row. You can't lose to your rival that many years in a row and expect people to be happy...LOL

Read the post Dawg I said around here. If you don't believe me run your own poll in Delaware. I take grad courses at Del State and although FAMU is WELL known Southern is off the radar. If you get north of Carolina no one knows of any SWAC team other than Grambling and Miss Valley State (Jerry Rice)

I will give FAMU credit they are the Only HBCU to win anything in the playoffs. They won it all in '78 although there were about 50 teams in I-AA. Of course they beat UMASS a team Delaware owns 25-4. They won some games in the late 90's and then got blown out after that in the playoffs . That is still better than the SWAC record of no wins and 12 losses and counting.

I'm on record on this board as saying I like Billie Joe. You say you have other teams on your schedule then beat them. But Southern, the team I was talking about, lost to a mediocre McNeese team last year. There is no way they are "prestigious".

blukeys
July 11th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Sorry SUjad tillI die, I said games of significance. How many people remember the Flower Bowl and the Yam Bowl? Also You didn't answer my other question. How did you do against a very mediocre McNeese team last year.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 11:11 PM
:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

Georgia Southern Rankings
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/georgia_southern/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

Montana Rankings
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsky/montana/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

Delaware Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/atlantic10/delaware/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

Eastern Kentucky Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ohiovalley/eastern_kentucky/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time
122 660.30

Southern Rankings
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/southern/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

Grambling State Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/grambling_state/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time
86 888.32
Harvard Rankings
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/harvard/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time
19 1565.05

Yale Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/yale/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

Famu and Tenn. St. not listed. I am sure these 2 teams are ranked above some of the teams listed above. :deadhorse :D

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Sorry SUjad tillI die, I said games of significance. How many people remember the Flower Bowl and the Yam Bowl? Also You didn't answer my other question. How did you do against a very mediocre McNeese team last year.
1 season doesn't make someone prestigous. Can't wait until Sept. :D

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 11:17 PM
:D NEVER MAKE A JAGUAR ANGRY. :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :D :D :D

ccujacket
July 11th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Trust me the average Joe knows Grambling.
You truly believed if I grabbed 10 guys from the Northeast, Northwest, Southwest, Mid East and asked them if they'd heard of Grambling, if they know what conference it's in, if they know at what division of football they compete at, and what state it's in 9/10 would get it right? You're out of your mind.

There are a lot of people on this board that are really detached from average football fans. It's quite delusional to think the average fan knows much about any I-AA team.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 11:38 PM
here are some more.

Youngstown St. Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/gateway/youngstown_state/rankings.php
All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

Brown Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/brown/rankings.php
All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

Colgate Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/patriot/colgate/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

Columbia Rankings

All-Time Ranking
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/columbia/rankings.php

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

Cornell Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/cornell/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time
38 1286.21

Dartmouth Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/dartmouth/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

Holy Cross Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/patriot/holy_cross/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time
78 946.47

Lafayette Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/patriot/lafayette/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time
80 924.31

Lehigh Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/patriot/lehigh/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time
Pennsylvania Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/pennsylvania/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time
29 1414.01

Princeton Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/princeton/rankings.php

All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

:deadhorse

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 11:40 PM
It seems to me that the teams that don't participate in the NCAA d1-aa playoffs are the best teams through the years. So in other words your little playofffs are null and void. The best teams don't even participate. :D :D :D :D

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 11:44 PM
You truly believed if I grabbed 10 guys from the Northeast, Northwest, Southwest, Mid East and asked them if they'd heard of Grambling, if they know what conference it's in, if they know at what division of football they compete at, and what state it's in 9/10 would get it right? You're out of your mind.

There are a lot of people on this board that are really detached from average football fans. It's quite delusional to think the average fan knows much about any I-AA team. The question is the most presigious. What does that have to do with what level, conference a team plays in, or state which it is located. IF you list Grambling, GSU, Delaware, Montana Im sorry but 9 out of 10 fans will say Grambling is the most prestigious.

SORRY I had to post this
Coastal Carolina Rankings

:eek:
All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

CrunchGriz
July 11th, 2005, 11:51 PM

There are a lot of people on this board that are really detached from average football fans. It's quite delusional to think the average fan knows much about any I-AA team.

I think ccujacket has it right: Outside we diehard I-AA fans, only a very small percentage of college football fans know any I-AA teams, and even then they probably don't even know what division they're in. These folks might know the names of Grambling, Harvard, Yale, and a couple of other Ivies, for instance, but they know these names because of past, in many cases long past, glories and/or number of players formerly sent to the NFL, not because these teams command or demand respect currently.

If that's what you mean by "prestige", okay, you've got it. If you're referring to current prestige in I-AA football history/performance, then you're talking about Georgia Southern, followed by Montana, Delaware, Furman, McNeese, Youngstown State (although their light has diminished since Tressel left) and maybe a couple of others, in no particular order.

While the Ivies and HBCUs have every right to be proud of their histories and some games that draw larger attendances, they have (for differing reasons) cut themselves off from the rest of I-AA by their refusal to play in the playoffs. That's where "performance prestige" is truly created. To be thought of as the best, you have to prove that you're the best when it's all on the line.

In this regard, the HBCUs, with the exception of a couple of teams (FAMU, Hampton, ?), have been busts. The SWAC is the prime example, with a cumulative 0-19 (if I remember right) I-AA playoff record, often sending their secord or third place team. The Ivies just flat don't want any part of playoffs, so we'll never know in that regard.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 11th, 2005, 11:58 PM
I think ccujacket has it right: Outside we diehard I-AA fans, only a very small percentage of college football fans know any I-AA teams, and even then they probably don't even know what division they're in. These folks might know the names of Grambling, Harvard, Yale, and a couple of other Ivies, for instance, but they know these names because of past, in many cases long past, glories and/or number of players formerly sent to the NFL, not because these teams command or demand respect currently.

If that's what you mean by "prestige", okay, you've got it. If you're referring to current prestige in I-AA football history/performance, then you're talking about Georgia Southern, followed by Montana, Delaware, Furman, McNeese, Youngstown State (although their light has diminished since Tressel left) and maybe a couple of others, in no particular order.

While the Ivies and HBCUs have every right to be proud of their histories and some games that draw larger attendances, they have (for differing reasons) cut themselves off from the rest of I-AA by their refusal to play in the playoffs. That's where "performance prestige" is truly created. To be thought of as the best, you have to prove that you're the best when it's all on the line.

In this regard, the HBCUs, with the exception of a couple of teams (FAMU, Hampton, ?), have been busts. The SWAC is the prime example, with a cumulative 0-19 (if I remember right) I-AA playoff record, often sending their secord or third place team. The Ivies just flat don't want any part of playoffs, so we'll never know in that regard.
When you are judging a particular program you don't judge them from a specific starting point to present. You judge them from the beginning of their existence to present.You guys are doctoring numbers ,so you can have the desired answer. The numbers that I have presented don't lie. Face the facts.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 12th, 2005, 12:03 AM

Please define current prestige. :eek: :D You guys are killing me.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 12th, 2005, 12:43 AM
You guys should jump on board. Everyone else is. :D

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/paramount_pictures/crossroads/britney_spears/crossroads3.jpg

eagleskins
July 12th, 2005, 02:19 AM
[QUOTE=SUjagTILLiDIE]You guys should jump on board. Everyone else is. :D

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/paramount_pictures/crossroads/britney_spears/crossroads3.jpg[/QUOTE

We dominate the HBCU's when we play. The majority are about on par with Chattanooga.

CrunchGriz
July 12th, 2005, 04:16 AM
When you are judging a particular program you don't judge them from a specific starting point to present. You judge them from the beginning of their existence to present.You guys are doctoring numbers ,so you can have the desired answer. The numbers that I have presented don't lie. Face the facts.

No, the original question in this thread was (and I quote): "who do you think over the years has develpoed into the best most recognizable name in all of 1aa...?" While the originator of this thread was fairly ambiguous on what he was looking for, in posing his original question he mentioned as good examples of what he was looking for as "eku, youngstown, montana, georgia southern, mcneese."

These teams have primarily made their names in I-AA, and the question specifically asked for "best most recognizable name in all of iaa". In using I-AA records and playoff accomplishments, I think I was answering the originating poster's question. It makes little sense to measure a program's accomplishments from 30-60 years ago when you're trying to determine which program is the most prestigious I-AA program. I-AA didn't exist in this time frame. Old accomplishments are great at different levels (I-A, II, whatever), but they don't equate to current I-AA prestige, although prestige does tend to outlast greatness, which is what I was trying to get at with my references to Penn State and Notre Dame (from another division, so I wouldn't be picking on any I-AA program).

Or do you truly think Grambling is still as good as it was in the mid-70s? I think it definitely still has great name value, but that it has slipped a fair piece on the playing field. As far as the prestige of which team I'd rather beat, I'll take the other GSU, in a landslide. And that's the way the vast majority of the I-AA world thinks, whether you want to believe it or not. Georgia Southern has a fistful of I-AA titles--titles easily trump old glory days.

bluedog
July 12th, 2005, 04:33 AM

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/paramount_pictures/crossroads/britney_spears/crossroads3.jpg[/QUOTE

We dominate the HBCU's when we play. The majority are about on par with Chattanooga.

Correction..........you dominate the MEAC when you play.

Georgia Southern vs Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/georgia_southern/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=114)

GaSouthern
July 12th, 2005, 08:14 AM
SORRY I had to post this
Coastal Carolina Rankings

:eek:
All-Time Ranking
All-Time

Now THATS funny!

rokamortis
July 12th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Now THATS funny!

Yeah - like kicking a little kid.

Kinda hard to have any history when you have only been playing for 2 years. Forget the never had a losing season or winning the conference in our second year, all without the full number of scholarships.

I know, I know, GSU won a NC in their 2nd year of I-AA, 4th year overall but that is certainly not common.

For all of the other schools - you would think they'd have some success after playing football for 100 years. but the questions are - how successful are they now? how succesful have they been in the last 10-20 years? How successful will they be in the future? History can only get you so far.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 12th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Jump on or get left behind

http://img253.echo.cx/img253/6888/suxfatwhiteboy7nk.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

McNeese75
July 12th, 2005, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE=eagleskins]

Georgia Southern vs Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/georgia_southern/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=114)

OK you opened the door, WE dominate the SWAC when we play them :D :spank: :asswhip:

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 12th, 2005, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=bluedog]

OK you opened the door, WE dominate the SWAC when we play them :D :spank: :asswhip:
I give you 3 victories. 2 over Gram and 1 over SU. But PVU and TSU doesn't count :D . September is just around the corner. You heard it hear first. This time we will not lose 15 players weeks before the game. :D

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 12th, 2005, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=bluedog]

I think it is time to start a SU vs MSU smack thread. Are you guy prepared to handle the Jaguar Nation. When and where can I get tickets. have you guys added additional seating for this game. Do you have ample tailgaiting area for SU large, and I mean Large traveling fan base. You won't have enough tickets to sell.

ccujacket
July 12th, 2005, 09:04 AM
The question is the most presigious. What does that have to do with what level, conference a team plays in, or state which it is located. IF you list Grambling, GSU, Delaware, Montana Im sorry but 9 out of 10 fans will say Grambling is the most prestigious.

SORRY I had to post this

We've played football for TWO SEASONS. We're near the least prestigious team in I-AA football.

You're avoiding the issue. Yes, if you listed the names people will pick Grambling because that's the only name they recognize. But, how can you claim prestige when no one knows even the most basic facts about your team.

Everyone knows who Paris Hilton is, but she wouldn't be considered prestigious.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 12th, 2005, 09:09 AM
You're avoiding the issue. Yes, if you listed the names people will pick Grambling because that's the only name they recognize.
Thanks for amitting that.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 12th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Its never to late

http://img124.exs.cx/img124/272/suytboy25pf.jpg

BBB
July 12th, 2005, 09:13 AM

That's not the point on who has the better team. It's about who's name people recognize.

ccujacket
July 12th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks for amitting that.
I never denied that, but way to avoid the issue again. There's no bigger waste of time this board than to attempt to discuss an issue with you. You just ignore the facts, post some random stat or picture that has nothing to do with the issue at hand, and never discuss the actual issue.

No I-AA football team is consider prestigious by any the average American, period. It's not even debatable.

ccujacket
July 12th, 2005, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=eagleskins]

That's not the point on who has the better team. It's about who's name people recognize.
That's not the point, either, which is the problem JagFan is having. It's about who is "respected and admired."

OL FU
July 12th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Prestige does not mean well-known. A scientist can be very prestigious and be absolutely unknown by the general population. I guess we are beating a dead horse, but that is why I limited my part of the discussions to "team". Thread is about the most prestigious I-AA team. I-AA = football (only) and team seems to seal the deal. The game day experience is more than the team. But team is not the band, the fans or the merchandise.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 12th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I never denied that, but way to avoid the issue again. There's no bigger waste of time this board than to attempt to discuss an issue with you. You just ignore the facts, post some random stat or picture that has nothing to do with the issue at hand, and never discuss the actual issue.

No I-AA football team is consider prestigious by any the average American, period. It's not even debatable.
Im not ignoring anything. Grambling along with the ivy's have the most recognizable name, with Grambling getting the edge being the most recognized name in football. I listed all-time rankings of the teams and since your teams that you put on your list are not ranked as high as the Ivy's or Southern , and Grambling the stats have nothing to do with the issue.

rokamortis
July 12th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Jump on or get left behind

http://img253.echo.cx/img253/6888/suxfatwhiteboy7nk.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

:eek: Wow Jag - you have got some moves.

89Hen
July 12th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Top 25 most prestigious I-AA's:

1. Grambling
2. Southern
3. FAMU
4. Jackson State
5. Alabama A&M
6. Harvard
7. Prairie View
8. Yale
9. Princeton
10. South Carolina State
11. Mississippi Valley State
12. Penn
13. Delaware State
14. Brown
15. Hampton
16. Arkansas-Pine Bluff
17. Alcorn State
18. Dartmouth
19. North Carolina A&T
20. Bethune-Cookman
21. Cornell
22. Columbia
23. Alabama State
24. Montana
25. Georgia Southern
Honorable mention: Morgan State, Texas Southern, Howard, Norfolk State

:rolleyes:

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 12th, 2005, 10:03 AM

1. Grambling
2. Southern
3. FAMU
4. Jackson State
5. Alabama A&M
6. Harvard
7. Prairie View
8. Yale
9. Princeton
10. South Carolina State
12. Penn
13. Delaware State
14. Brown
15. Hampton
16. Arkansas-Pine Bluff
17. Alcorn State
18. Dartmouth
19. North Carolina A&T
20. Bethune-Cookman
21. Cornell
22. Columbia
23. Alabama State
24. Montana
25. Georgia Southern

You are starting to get it. :D :D :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: SOUTHERN , Jackson State, Grambling, Tenn. State , Famu belong on that list all jokes aside.

McNeese75
July 12th, 2005, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=McNeese75]
I give you 3 victories. 2 over Gram and 1 over SU. But PVU and TSU doesn't count :D . September is just around the corner. You heard it hear first. This time we will not lose 15 players weeks before the game. :D

Good!!, this time there will be NO excuses!! :D

McNeese75
July 12th, 2005, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=McNeese75]
I think it is time to start a SU vs MSU smack thread. Are you guy prepared to handle the Jaguar Nation. When and where can I get tickets. have you guys added additional seating for this game. Do you have ample tailgaiting area for SU large, and I mean Large traveling fan base. You won't have enough tickets to sell.

I was thinking we would at least wait until August before we started smackin :D

As Fans, we are absolutly ready for the Game and the Jag Nation. Now as far as the team and the facilities, well, I guess we will have to wait a few weeks to find out the answers to that one. I will call the Ticket Office and see if I can find out when the tickets will become available either here or on Ticketmaster for you (although I am sure that info will be plastered all over when it becomes available)

Lookin forward to game!! :nod:

89Hen
July 12th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I don't know why all the confusion here, basically to be considered a "most prestigious I-AA" you have to have won a vast majority of your games before I-AA was invented and not participate in the playoffs. Simple as that. :cool:

OL FU
July 12th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I don't know why all the confusion here, basically to be considered a "most prestigious I-AA" you have to have won a vast majority of your games before I-AA was invented and not participate in the playoffs. Simple as that. :cool:

After 16 pages of posts, the rules are finally clear. :hurray:

BBB
July 12th, 2005, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=BBB]
That's not the point, either, which is the problem JagFan is having. It's about who is "respected and admired."

It's hard to respect a team that you don't recognize. SO it goes hand in hand don't you think?

BBB
July 12th, 2005, 11:11 AM

So we're discounting victories? Sounds like people are manipulating the thread for desired results.

Do we discount all that U of Del did before 1978? What about Holy Cross? Two teams that rank up there in prestige by the way.

Notre Dame hasn't done jack in damn near 15 years. Longer for Army and Navy BUT, you can't discount their prestige.

ccujacket
July 12th, 2005, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=ccujacket]

It's hard to respect a team that you don't recognize. SO it goes hand in hand don't you think?
While it's necessary to be recognized to be respected, everyone who is recognized is NOT respected. People know who Vanderbilt is but no one respects their football program.

As stated before no matter how much JagFan ignores it, the fact is if I asked the average Joe to answer any of the following, he couldn't:

1) What division does Grambling compete in?
2) What conference are they in?
3) What city are they in?
4) What state are they in?
5) Who is their head coach?
6) What's their mascot?
7) What was their record last year?

The average Joe would be lucky to get one of these right. But, if I asked the same about a team that the average Joe knows about like USC, Notre Dame, Miami, etc they would get most right.

As I've said before: NO I-AA is considered prestigious by the average football fan. That slot is reserved for your Oklahomas, Michigans, USCs, etc, etc.

JagFan must not get out of Louisiana much, or talk to the average Joe much.

Go...gate
July 12th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Agree with what the UD guy said about pre-1978, because Division 1-AA has several predecessor designations - for example, College Division, Division II, etc. When you take performance on those levels into consideration as well, I think Delaware remains No.1, though the arguments about Grambling place them right up at the top as well.

OL FU
July 12th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Agree with what the UD guy said about pre-1978, because Division 1-AA has several predecessor designations - for example, College Division, Division II, etc. When you take performance on those levels into consideration as well, I think Delaware remains No.1, though the arguments about Grambling place them right up at the top as well.

I know we are arguing for the sake of arguing, but how can you take pre-78 into consideration. The topic is I-AA. And if you do how can you compare the different divisions prior to that. Can I count FU teams in the 20's and 30's that beat USC, Clemson, NC State and others in the same season. Believe me I am not putting FU in the this prestige category. But if we are talking I-AA, then it is after 1978. I am not taking away from football before that, Delaware is proud, and rightly so, of the DII championships, but is is not I-AA.

IMHO :D

eaglefan452
July 12th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I tend to agree with OL FU. Is this thread counting before 1978? If so, then it should be "Most Prestigous team of all-time that now plays in I-AA". I thought that the topic was meant to mean the most prestigous team since the formation of I-AA.

Eagle_77
July 12th, 2005, 11:54 AM
The title of this thread is "Most prestigous I-AA team". I would think that you would have to be currently in I-AA for this to apply and being that he points out I-AA I would think that it would be important that prestige began no later than when the league began.

Being that this is a football forum one would think that the question was asked in regards to football. Not in regards of academics or any thing that would bring recognition besides the game of football itself. This alone would make the Ivy's not apply and some HBCU's, but not all.

So with those things being said I guess that prestige in regards of football could still be taken in a couple of different ways. One being name recognition and the other being quality of football played by a team.

If you are going on name recognition nationally to all football fans then it would have to be Grambling in my book. Now like others have brought up the average football fan could not tell you that they were I-AA or what confernce they were in or even how they did last year. But if you are going to go on name alone then I will stick by this.

If you are going on quality of football played then things change a little. The average football fan knows very little about I-AA so you would have to narrow your poll to I-AA fans nationally. Under these conditions then it would have to be GSU. Montana and Delaware would be a very close second.

I dont see where this is that hard of a question.

OL FU
July 12th, 2005, 12:02 PM
We could always change the name of the thread to;

According to the general public, the most prestigious school playing I-AA football.

Harvard - - - -

Ok I hear a few Yale's and Princeton's.

blukeys
July 12th, 2005, 12:04 PM
here are some more.

Youngstown St. Rankings

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/gateway/youngstown_state/rankings.php
All-Time Ranking

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

Columbia Rankings

All-Time Ranking
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/columbia/rankings.php

Period
Rank
Total

All-Time

As Mark Twain said "There are 3 kinds of lies. Lies, damned lies, and statistics". Any system that ranks Columbia as a better football program than Youngstown and Georgia Southern demonstrates just how easy it is to manipulate statistics. Columbia has been the laughing stock of football in the Ivy League for decades. Only Prarie view A&M saved Columbia from the embarassment of having the nation's longest losing streak. Next time you have a temper tantrum restrain your mouse finger from digging up statistics that only embarrasses you.

We all know why the SWAC skips the playoffs. They have never won a playoff game and like the Ivies they know the continued beatings will make them look bad.

By the way how did your team do against a very mediocre McNeese team last year? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

89Hen
July 12th, 2005, 12:09 PM
So we're discounting victories? Sounds like people are manipulating the thread for desired results.

Do we discount all that U of Del did before 1978?
I'll refer back to this post I made yesterday (somewhat TIC) about Grambling...

Then I guess that elimintates them from the running. "who do you think over the years has develpoed into the best most recognizable name in all of 1aa". You agree that Grambling did all their developing prior to, and in spite of, I-AA. Case closed on Grambling.

We're talking about who has developed into.... I-AA. Pre-1978 has nothing to do with it IMO.

Big Dawg
July 12th, 2005, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=eagleskins]

Yes, but WE have beaten Georgia Southern...one of those victories was in their place during the 90s.

Big Dawg
July 12th, 2005, 12:53 PM

1. Grambling
2. Southern
3. FAMU
4. Jackson State
5. Alabama A&M
6. Harvard
7. Prairie View
8. Yale
9. Princeton
10. South Carolina State
12. Penn
13. Delaware State
14. Brown
15. Hampton
16. Arkansas-Pine Bluff
17. Alcorn State
18. Dartmouth
19. North Carolina A&T
20. Bethune-Cookman
21. Cornell
22. Columbia
23. Alabama State
24. Montana
25. Georgia Southern

We didn't say that all HBCU's had prestigious programs...but you did name the original I-AA teams on the EA Sports NCAA Football francise... ;)

BBB
July 12th, 2005, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=BBB]
While it's necessary to be recognized to be respected, everyone who is recognized is NOT respected. People know who Vanderbilt is but no one respects their football program.

As stated before no matter how much JagFan ignores it, the fact is if I asked the average Joe to answer any of the following, he couldn't:

6) What's their mascot?

The average Joe would be lucky to get one of these right. But, if I asked the same about a team that the average Joe knows about like USC, Notre Dame, Miami, etc they would get most right.

As I've said before: NO I-AA is considered prestigious by the average football fan. That slot is reserved for your Oklahomas, Michigans, USCs, etc, etc.

Interesting and that's a valid point. I don't agree with you but I can say you make a strong point.

BBB
July 12th, 2005, 01:12 PM
We didn't say that all HBCU's had prestigious programs...but you did name the original I-AA teams on the EA Sports NCAA Football francise... ;)

YUP, I believe you did.

BBB
July 12th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I'll refer back to this post I made yesterday (somewhat TIC) about Grambling...

Then I guess that elimintates them from the running. "who do you think over the years has develpoed into the best most recognizable name in all of 1aa". You agree that Grambling did all their developing prior to, and in spite of, I-AA. Case closed on Grambling.

We're talking about who has developed into.... I-AA. Pre-1978 has nothing to do with it IMO.

Sorry that wasn't the topic of the thread. The topic wasn't WHO DEVELOPED into one. Once again there's been alot of "manipulation" of this question. Now if you want to base it off of that then you're right.

89Hen
July 12th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Sorry that wasn't the topic of the thread. The topic wasn't WHO DEVELOPED into one. Once again there's been alot of "manipulation" of this question. Now if you want to base it off of that then you're right.
I directly quoted THE post that started this whole thing...

"Most prestigous I-AA team

Throughout the history of 1 aa football there have been some great teams and a few dynastys a few schools that come to mind are eku, youngstown, montana, georgia southern, mcneese. They seem to be the no brainers but who do you think over the years has develpoed into the best most recognizable name in all of 1aa."

BBB
July 12th, 2005, 01:57 PM
I directly quoted THE post that started this whole thing...

"Most prestigous I-AA team

Throughout the history of 1 aa football there have been some great teams and a few dynastys a few schools that come to mind are eku, youngstown, montana, georgia southern, mcneese. They seem to be the no brainers but who do you think over the years has develpoed into the best most recognizable name in all of 1aa."

I'll give you that.

With that being said do you think a school that as the football prestige loses it? Prestige goes alot futher than current history. One school might have a few more National Titles but does that school produce LEGENDS? and making legends doesn't make a school prestigous. Coaches, teams, being dominate (REGARDLESS of the era).

89Hen
July 12th, 2005, 02:34 PM
With that being said do you think a school that as the football prestige loses it?
That wasn't the question and would be better debated on a topic that begs the question... 'What current I-AA program has had the most historic prestige as a football program?' When the question says who has developed... to me that means who has the most prestige thanks to their progress IN I-AA. As I said regarding Grambling, most of their prestige is in spite of I-AA.

GannonFan
July 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Apparently all these pages have gone to show is that if you want to ask a question, and you want a certain answer, you should avail yourself of the nuances of the English language and be very specific - otherwise, just throwing out prestige and IAA without any modifiers can lead to such a varied, and really all correct, responses.

89Hen
July 12th, 2005, 02:55 PM
a varied, and really all correct, responses.
No way! Anyone that disagrees with me is wrong. ;)

OL FU
July 12th, 2005, 02:58 PM
No way! Anyone that disagrees with me is wrong. ;)

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Big Dawg
July 12th, 2005, 03:31 PM
YUP, I believe you did.

When....please document because Howard dayum sho wasn't on my list. :rolleyes:

Thumper250
July 12th, 2005, 04:12 PM
If Georgia Southern played Southern or Grambling 100 times, Georgia Southern would win at least 85 of them.

nlwwln
July 12th, 2005, 04:53 PM
is there anyway we can come to a unanimous agreement on all of this?, lets try to put things into perspective, weve established that the ives are in a league of there own thus meaning they exlude themselves from the rest of the 1aa nation, to be honest i dont think they would want to included into this category and when they did accumilate most of their wins they were in the 1As. So i have to drop all ives and then comes the infamous swac school grambling, i dont think that there is any arguement that they are one of the most well known names in 1aa that goes for many other programs as well who have experienced a wealth of succes at the 1aa level but to this date who is the most well known name in 1aa.....georgia southern delaware montana

nlwwln
July 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM
bottom line

eagleskins
July 12th, 2005, 04:59 PM
If Georgia Southern played Southern or Grambling 100 times, Georgia Southern would win at least 85 of them.

I would say 95.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 12th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Bring something to the table and we will see. I know you don't believe that.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 12th, 2005, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=BBB]

6) What's their mascot?

What does that have to do with prestige. We all know if your top 4 teams are listed to someone walking down the street , they would pick Grambling.

bluedog
July 12th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I would say 95.

You can say a million and all it ever will amount to is lip service.

rokamortis
July 12th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Can't we just put this to rest?

LET'S DANCE

Its never to late

http://img124.exs.cx/img124/272/suytboy25pf.jpg

ccujacket
July 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=ccujacket]
What does that have to do with prestige. We all know if your top 4 teams are listed to someone walking down the street , they would pick Grambling.
I give up, it's like conversing with a brick wall. Grab a dictionary and look up prestige. You aren't being "respected" or "admired" if someone knows your name but nothing about you.

bluedog
July 12th, 2005, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=SUjagTILLiDIE]
I give up, it's like conversing with a brick wall. Grab a dictionary and look up prestige. You aren't being "respected" or "admired" if someone knows your name but nothing about you.

Will here we go again even after circling the wagons and trying to put their best spin on the original question as to what schools made the most recognizable names for themselves even that has hit rock bottom.

Main Entry: pres·tige
Pronunciation: pre-'stEzh, -'stEj
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French, from Middle French, conjuror's trick, illusion, from Latin praestigiae, plural, conjuror's tricks, from praestringere to graze, blunt, constrict, from prae- + stringere to bind tight -- more at STRAIN
1 : standing or estimation in the eyes of people : weight or credit in general opinion
2 : commanding position in people's minds
synonym see INFLUENCE
- pres·tige·ful /-f&l/ adjective

My, my, my wonder what dey gon say naw. :rolleyes:

On further review:

Main Entry: opin·ion
Pronunciation: &-'pin-y&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin opinion-, opinio, from opinari

2 a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge

ccujacket
July 12th, 2005, 10:39 PM
You can't take half of a definition and call it the entire definition. xlolx

For instance: 1 : standing or estimation in the eyes of people : weight or credit in general opinion

Standing, Estimation, Weight, and Credit all indicate that not only does the entity have to be known but it has to be RESPECTED.

Example numero dos: 2 : commanding position in people's minds

Not just any position, but a COMMANDING position.

For that effort all I can say is: wow. xlolx

Eagle_77
July 12th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Bring something to the table and we will see. I know you don't believe that.

Why should we believe that? The most dominate program in I-AA history against name recognition? I don’t like your chances. How about your schools grow a pair and play in the playoffs against the best of the best so we can have a true measure of how good SWAC schools are.

If you want to argue if prestige is name recognition or on the field accomplishments and in what time frame then your argument in this thread has a leg to stand on. If you want to narrow that down to head to head action and just football accomplishments then you might want to sit this one out.

The MEAC does it and how do they do in playoffs?

You can say a million and all it ever will amount to is lip service.

Once again earn the privilege of playing one of the best by entering the playoffs otherwise you have no argument.

bluedog
July 13th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Once again earn the privilege of playing one of the best by entering the playoffs otherwise you have no argument.

Lets get a couple of things straight........ ok? 1) what is there to argue until GaSu plays Southern your just smacking your lips.

2) GaSu isn't the best..... James Madison is.

bluedog
July 13th, 2005, 12:19 AM
You can't take half of a definition and call it the entire definition. xlolx

For instance: 1 : standing or estimation in the eyes of people : weight or credit in general opinion

Standing, Estimation, Weight, and Credit all indicate that not only does the entity have to be known but it has to be RESPECTED.

Example numero dos: 2 : commanding position in people's minds

Not just any position, but a COMMANDING position.

For that effort all I can say is: wow. xlolx

Well for your effort at :rotateh: I'll just say xcoffeex

eagleskins
July 13th, 2005, 12:51 AM

Didn't Southern lose to a terrible McNeese State team last year?

bluedog
July 13th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Didn't Southern lose to a terrible McNeese State team last year?

Here's another one with no comprehension skills. Please explain to the board what that has to do with the definition of prestige.

Eagle_77
July 13th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Lets get a couple of things straight........ ok? 1) what is there to argue until GaSu plays Southern your just smacking your lips.

2) GaSu isn't the best..... James Madison is.

Ok let me straighten a few things out for you since you have a hard time reading.

1) Going back to my point of join the playoffs and prove you have the honor of playing I-AA's best teams like but not limited to GSU. Until then give me a good reason why we should play you guys. And why some people may have singled out Southern I was not biased in including all SWAC teams.

2) No were did I say that GSU was the best last year which is you case in point. I said the most dominate program in I-AA history. Maybe you should read that again.

BBB
July 13th, 2005, 09:01 AM
When....please document because Howard dayum sho wasn't on my list. :rolleyes:

Because HOWARD WAS ON THERE from what I understand. They were there in the 2000 version.

89Hen
July 13th, 2005, 09:12 AM
is there anyway we can come to a unanimous agreement on all of this?
No

pete4256
July 13th, 2005, 10:40 AM
I think this thread has pointed out what remains the biggest problem I-AA has. It's not nat'l exposure or TV contracts that worry me--I don't care so much about that (no sense of inferiority), it's the identity crisis that our classification has.

If Grambling and Southern and the Ivies would just play ball with the conferences that make up the bulk of I-AA programs, then we'd have something. I put the blame squarely on them. Until they participate, I'll continue to view them as I-AA in name only.

Until then, we don't have much in common.

gsuwinsudont
July 13th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Ok let me straighten a few things out for you since you have a hard time reading.

1) Going back to my point of join the playoffs and prove you have the honor of playing I-AA's best teams like but not limited to GSU. Until then give me a good reason why we should play you guys. And why some people may have singled out Southern I was not biased in including all SWAC teams.

2) No were did I say that GSU was the best last year which is you case in point. I said the most dominate program in I-AA history. Maybe you should read that again.

Blue Dog has been Owned.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I think this thread has pointed out what remains the biggest problem I-AA has. It's not nat'l exposure or TV contracts that worry me--I don't care so much about that (no sense of inferiority), it's the identity crisis that our classification has.

If Grambling and Southern and the Ivies would just play ball with the conferences that make up the bulk of I-AA programs, then we'd have something. I put the blame squarely on them. Until they participate, I'll continue to view them as I-AA in name only.

Until then, we don't have much in common.
Yea whatever. Sound like jealousy to me. Why should we give something up that has been so sucessfull just for the sake of the playoff. If I-aa would only have move the playoffs back 1 week, like the swac asked years ago, we would never be having this conversation.But since they didn't we did what we had to do. The Bayou Classic is the biggest 1-aa game every year. The Ncaa championship game doesn't even compare. We will not be pimped by the NCAA. I

ChickenMan
July 13th, 2005, 11:52 AM
The Bayou Classic is the biggest 1-aa game every year. The Ncaa championship game doesn't even compare. We will not be pimped by the NCAA. I

Smart choice... as Dirty Harry said... "a good man (or program ;) ) knows it's limitations"... :D

Big Dawg
July 13th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Because HOWARD WAS ON THERE from what I understand. They were there in the 2000 version.

I thought you were talking about my other statement. :)

89Hen
July 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM
The Bayou Classic is the biggest 1-aa game every year. The Ncaa championship game doesn't even compare. We will not be pimped by the NCAA. I
The Bayou has nothing to do with I-AA. I'll take a championship as a "bigger I-AA game" over a classic any and every day of the week. I know the Bayou outdraws and has higher ratings, but that makes it a more popular football game, not the biggest I-AA game. :twocents:

bluedog
July 13th, 2005, 01:48 PM

What point? You have no point. The topic is about most recognizable name and the definition of prestige and for you the make any statement about playing in the playoffs to measure either is irrelevant at best.

Give your nerves a rest and just except the fact that we don't care about the playoffs as they are today...........we have. Once you can come to grips with that fact than you'll start to heal and use your common sense (which I know you have) to understand that Southern has played and beaten several playoff teams several times and there's nothing that you or anyone else can say to change that fact or the fact that we don't care about your playoffs and are content with who we are, our national television contract, and the fact we don't need or care for anyones approval.

To use an old negro spiritual pharse "it'll be alright afta while" ;)

McNeese75
July 13th, 2005, 02:25 PM
:argue: :bang: :deadhorse

some things never change. We must be getting close to football season because this thread looks exactly like one that pops up every year about this time.

Swackers glorifying the classics and the True I-AA fans talking about playoffs.

There will NEVER be any agreement here. The SWAK will NEVER get back in the playoffs (and neither will the Ivies) and neither side is going to convince the other.

We all know the better or BEST I-AA teams are those that participate in the playoffs (and yes, they are better than the Ivies too). Those that decline to participate are simply like those Statesboro Gnats flying around trying to aggrevate everyone else.

That's my :twocents:

So, carry on! :D

ccujacket
July 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM

I'll take that as an admission of being wrong. I still can't believe you'd use definitions that supported my argument perfectly and try to extract one or two words to fit your purpose. :rolleyes:

If you're not a political consultant of some type you missed your calling. xlolx

Big Dawg
July 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM
This thread is going no where...*sigh*

GannonFan
July 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Once you can come to grips with that fact than you'll start to heal and use your common sense (which I know you have) to understand that Southern has played and beaten several playoff teams several times

Hey, if we're going to get all smacky let's at least be honest about what we're talking about - I like Southern's program, they have a great following, tradition, etc. But they don't necessarily schedule the best that IAA has to offer - they've only beat, since 1990, 6 playoff teams (Fla A&M '96, NW St '97, Fla A&M '01, NC A&T '03, and Jackson St '96 and '97). Each of those six teams were beaten in the first round of the playoffs, losing by an average of 3 TD's (21 pts) - heck, none of those teams even lost to a team that made it as far as the finals. Southern is a great program, like I said, but there's not a lot of evidence on the field to say that, over the past 15 years, they could've matched up with the best in IAA.

Trying to stay on topic, I still throw my quartet of Grambling, Georgia Southern, Delaware, and Montana as the holders of the highest prestige (non-Ivy) in IAA.

89Hen
July 13th, 2005, 02:59 PM
just except the fact that we don't care about the playoffs as they are today...
Of course we accept the fact that the SWAC doesn't care about the playoffs. Why would they at 0-19?

henfan
July 13th, 2005, 03:15 PM
We will not be pimped by the NCAA.

I don't normally get sucked into these kinds of arguments but that's just an incredibly shallow comment. The NCAA isn't "pimping" anybody with the I-AA Championship Series. If anything, the organization is happy if the tournament pays for itself.

Using that logic the SWAC does willingly 'whore' itself to the NCAA for other post-season tournaments, most notably the MBB tournament. I'm not sure what can be said of a conference that chooses not to allow the kids who earned its conference championship the opportunity to win a national championship. Then again, that's probably an easy decision for a conference that's gone an embarrassing 0-16 the times it has participated in the national tournament, especially when there's money to be made for the conference on the backs of the players. I'm sure the kids would prefer the chance to win the I-AA National Championship, in addition to a SWAC Championship.

Back to the point of the thread of most prestigious, I'd submit the names of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Grambling for historic reasons. Almost every sports fan's heard of them. Montana, Geo. Southern, YSU, EKU, Furman, FAMU, and Delaware for their football accomplishments on a national level since '78. Not sure how well known the latter programs are though to the average college fan. Programs that should have made the list (if the average fan were aware of true prestige) would include Fordham, Georgetown, Lehigh, Colgate, Southern, WKU, McNeese, W&M, Jackson St. and one or two others I'm probably forgetting.

Down with the Foe!
July 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM
The ones that people like him/her make up in they're minds.

actually I was thinking the same thing..(the fat and slow comments)...

no way either of those schools would compete in the BSC or any of the elite 1-AA conferences.

my 2 cents

:eek: (Ducking under keyboard)

Big Dawg
July 13th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Each of those six teams were beaten in the first round of the playoffs, losing by an average of 3 TD's (21 pts) - heck, none of those teams even lost to a team that made it as far as the finals.

Actually FAMU and NCA&T lost to teams who did make it to the finals...YSU in 99. FAMU lost by 3 and I forgot what A&T lost by. That 96 Rattler team lost by 4 to Troy St....average 21 points my eye.

That's just a bit of information I couldn't let go...I know it's small, but it irked me.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 13th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Actually FAMU and NCA&T lost to teams who did make it to the finals...YSU in 99. FAMU lost by 3 and I forgot what A&T lost by. That 96 Rattler team lost by 4 to Troy St....average 21 points my eye.

That's just a bit of information I couldn't let go...I know it's small, but it irked me.
Big Dawg they don't want to hear that. The truth hurts. :D

bluedog
July 13th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Each of those six teams were beaten in the first round of the playoffs, losing by an average of 3 TD's (21 pts) - heck, none of those teams even lost to a team that made it as far as the finals. Southern is a great program, like I said, but there's not a lot of evidence on the field to say that, over the past 15 years, they could've matched up with the best in IAA.

Trying to stay on topic, I still throw my quartet of Grambling, Georgia Southern, Delaware, and Montana as the holders of the highest prestige (non-Ivy) in IAA.

Even though this conversation wasn't directed towards you I'll ask you this question since you feel the urge to join in with a lie. So what about the teams that Famu, NC A&T, Hampton beat in the first and second round

Florida A&M vs Appalachian St. (NC) (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/independents/florida_a&m/vs_conf_opponents_records.php?teamid=165&confid=180) your prestigous school

North Carolina A&T vs Tennessee St. (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/mideastern/north_carolina_a&t/vs_conf_opponents_records.php?teamid=3188&confid=151)

But at least you had the good sense to be honest about one thing.

Big Dawg
July 14th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Even though this conversation wasn't directed towards you I'll ask you this question since you feel the urge to join in with a lie. So what about the teams that Famu, NC A&T, Hampton beat in the first and second round

Florida A&M vs Appalachian St. (NC) (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/independents/florida_a&m/vs_conf_opponents_records.php?teamid=165&confid=180) your prestigous school

North Carolina A&T vs Tennessee St. (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/mideastern/north_carolina_a&t/vs_conf_opponents_records.php?teamid=3188&confid=151)

But at least you had the good sense to be honest about one thing.

Thank You.

We dominated Appalachian St. in that game and the following week beat Troy St. on the road.

People have yet to bring up the good games that we have played...I mean there's a select few but most don't want to hear it.

By the way...we are undefeated at home in the playoffs. :D

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 14th, 2005, 12:16 AM
You really know it is the end of a thread when SU folks are trying to ride the coat tails of the mighty MEAC teams.
:nonono2: :nono: xcoffeex
No just representing for HBCU's. We stand on our own 2 feet.

Big Dawg
July 14th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Yes, it might if you know it. :D What was that line from "1984" :confused:

But nobody mentioned the competative playoff games that the MEAC teams have played.

Big Dawg
July 14th, 2005, 12:18 AM
NOT TRUE! FAMU is I-AA's first national champion!!!

Yeah but people try to brush that off.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 14th, 2005, 12:22 AM
:rolleyes: BULL!HBCU's stick together. anytime anyone on this page says a thing about an HBCU any person from another HBCU will have something to say about it. Matter of fact I got on this thread on Gramblings behalf.

Big Dawg
July 14th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Folks here know the difference. :nod:

Anytime someone mentions it, they always have a comment about how I-AA was smaller back then. I'm pretty sure that 1978 team could've beaten ANYONE that year.

I don't like when people try to diminish accomplishments...I know you understand, Ralph.

P.S. I know everyone on this site doesn't feel that way. :)

Big Dawg
July 14th, 2005, 12:30 AM
HBCU's stick together. anytime anyone on this page says a thing about an HBCU any person from another HBCU will have something to say about it. Matter of fact I got on this thread on Gramblings behalf.

I agree.

Big Dawg
July 14th, 2005, 12:46 AM
...because we are all I-AA brothers here.

As it should be...

McNeese75
July 14th, 2005, 04:15 PM
http://images5.theimagehosting.com/FixedThisThreadSucks.gif

I think this pretty much covers it!!! :eek:

mikebigg
July 14th, 2005, 09:27 PM
In I-AA prestige from the HBCUs Grambling has had quite a few teams ranked very high and carries that banner, but FAMU has delivered the goods.

Ralph,

Don't try and limit Grambling's prestige as being only in terms of HBCU's and why compare us to FAMU. Is it because we are both HBCU's? That's not cool on some many levels...and I know you're not intentionally doing it. But you are categorizing!

Now let's talk about Grambling as a football program and our games against D1AA's. True we have lost all three playoff matchups. But in each instance it was against a team that either won it all or came dayum close...on the road...by less than 5 points. Not bad but not up to what Grambling fans and the program feels good about.

Outside of the playoffs, we have been competitive...prolly .500, again not what we would like but not pathetic or anything like that. But the topic is about prestige. I think our name recognition and on the field success (that's been consistent) makes us a prestigious program (HBCU or No)!

bluedog
July 14th, 2005, 10:58 PM
. No harm meant because we are all I-AA brothers here.

Yeah right :rolleyes:

bluedog
July 14th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Of course we accept the fact that the SWAC doesn't care about the playoffs. Why would they at 0-19?

Lets get another thing straight this isn't about the Swac you rocket scientist this is about Southern. We have never participated in the "I'm going to pimp you like the wh@re you are playoffs" and were the leaders in getting our conference to see what a bogus and bias system it was ,and proud of it.