PDA

View Full Version : My FCS playoff scenario

GreenDay17
January 2nd, 2007, 03:17 PM
What do you think?

12 Autobids:
Atlantic 10, Big Sky, Big South, Gateway, Great West, Mid American, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Pioneer, Southern, and Southland

12 At-large (selected by current "at-large process"):

Seed the first 8 teams and those seeds receive a first round bye.

The first, second, third, and fourth (Semifinal) rounds could be played on the same dates that they currently are played (Semifinal would be on the weekend of the current Championship Game) with the games being played at sites as currently determined. The FCS Championship game would then be played on the Sunday night of the opening of the AFCA Convention at a site in/near the convention city. This is typically LA/Anaheim, Dallas/San Antonio, New Orleans, and Orlando.

This 3 week period until the FCS Championship game would allow fans of the two participating teams to better be able to attend. It could also be treated like the NCAA Final Four by providing complementary tickets to at least all the FCS coaches and at most all the DI coaches. The FCS Championship would be in the spotlight the day before the BCS Championship is played.

The 2007 season FCS Championship would look like this:

First Round—November 24 at on-campus sites (BYE for 8 seeded teams)
Second Round—December 1 at on-campus sites
Quarterfinals—December 8 at on-campus sites
Semifinals—December 14 at on-campus sites
Championship Game—January 6 at site in city of 2007 AFCA Convention

MplsBison
January 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Get rid of the Pioneer autobid.

NEC I could at least live with. Pioneer? Never.

GreenDay17
January 2nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
I thought that, with 24 teams making the field, each league that has not opted out of the playoffs should get an autobid.

ncguitarplyr
January 2nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
too many games/rounds

DetroitFlyer
January 2nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
HMMMMMMMM.... As I recall, the champ of the PFL defeated the NEC Champ in the Gridiron Classic this past season, and yet the PFL champion is "not worthy" while the NEC champion is....

Lionsrking
January 2nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
What do you think?

12 Autobids:
Atlantic 10, Big Sky, Big South, Gateway, Great West, Mid American, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Pioneer, and Southern

12 At-large (selected by current "at-large process"):

Seed the first 8 teams and those seeds receive a first round bye.

The first, second, third, and fourth (Semifinal) rounds could be played on the same dates that they currently are played (Semifinal would be on the weekend of the current Championship Game) with the games being played at sites as currently determined. The FCS Championship game would then be played on the Sunday night of the opening of the AFCA Convention at a site in/near the convention city. This is typically LA/Anaheim, Dallas/San Antonio, New Orleans, and Orlando.

This 3 week period until the FCS Championship game would allow fans of the two participating teams to better be able to attend. It could also be treated like the NCAA Final Four by providing complementary tickets to at least all the FCS coaches and at most all the DI coaches. The FCS Championship would be in the spotlight the day before the BCS Championship is played.

The 2007 season FCS Championship would look like this:

First Round—November 24 at on-campus sites (BYE for 8 seeded teams)
Second Round—December 1 at on-campus sites
Quarterfinals—December 8 at on-campus sites
Semifinals—December 14 at on-campus sites
Championship Game—January 6 at site in city of 2007 AFCA Convention

I guess the Southland doesn't get an autobid under your plan.

89Hen
January 2nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
What do you think?
It aint broke. :twocents:

GreenDay17
January 2nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
I guess the Southland doesn't get an autobid under your plan.

BONER! I guess I should have done one more edit/review.

The Southland was included in the 12 autobids, but somehow not listed with the conferences.

***Original post has been edited due to this oversight***

UAalum72
January 2nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Big South and Great West don't have six teams yet; I don't think the Mid-American Conf. is ready to move to the FB Championship Subdivision.

89Hen
January 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
BONER! I guess I should have done one more edit/review.

I'll make the changes to 13 auto's and 11 at-large.
Can't. NCAA mandates that half the field be at-large.

GreenDay17
January 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Can't. NCAA mandates that half the field be at-large.

There are actually 12 auto's and 12 at-large. Accounting error. The mistake lied solely in not listing the Southland even though they were included in the number of autobid conferences.

JALMOND
January 3rd, 2007, 04:11 AM
I'm all for anything that puts Portland State in the playoffs.

andy7171
January 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
HMMMMMMMM.... As I recall, the champ of the PFL defeated the NEC Champ in the Gridiron Classic this past season, and yet the PFL champion is "not worthy" while the NEC champion is....
xlolx It's kinda like shooting fish in a barrell.xlolx

Why change it? Do we need more 4 and 5 loss teams in the post season? If I want to see mediocre teams play each other, I'll watch the Pulan Weedeater Bowl.

jmuroller
January 3rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Good idea, but a no go. Who is going to pay for the two schools that are in the playoffs expenses? It is VERY expensive to house a football team over the xmas break. You know the NCAA won't do it. You have to feed them 3 times a day (schools meal halls aren't open) and house the players that don't live off campus.

Also, you have to figure in the fact the cities that host the convention don't really care much for game. Who is going to do the work of planning the game? Who is going to pay for that? That is one reason why Chatty is a great place for the game because they WANT to have the game. They spend countless hours preparing for the game and hosting it. You think the LA tourism is going to spend any money/time on the game? Doubt it, especially since the coaches will already be coming to the city for the convention.

If anything, you would have to play the games 5 straight weeks.

89Hen
January 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Do we need more 4 and 5 loss teams in the post season? If I want to see mediocre teams play each other, I'll watch the Pulan Weedeater Bowl.
Agreed. :nod:

Col Hogan
January 3rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
I went over all the posting a couple of times because my first read of this proposal excited me. I thought now here's a plan. But the more I mull over it, I think jmuroller found one of the big weak links. But...the best effort yet on new ideas.!!!!! :bow:

youwouldno
January 3rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
The playoffs should not be expanded. Very bad idea. There aren't enough playoff-worthy teams.

89Hen
January 3rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
The playoffs should not be expanded. Very bad idea. There aren't enough playoff-worthy teams.
Exactly. As much as people think there are good teams getting screwed, I think there are marginal teams in every year.