PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-12

JALMOND
September 11th, 2016, 10:16 PM
An interesting week in the conference. The usual slate of DII games and money games, some interconference games, but all were pushed aside as four Big Sky teams headed east to face off against four teams from the mighty Missouri Valley conference. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis), all based solely on my opinion. They're out quickly as I'm taking advantage of any time I can get.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week, lost at Missouri Valley North Dakota State 50-44 in OT, this week at home against the Missouri Valley's Northern Iowa---If you don't have much of a defense, make sure you score enough to win the game.

2. Montana (3)---Last week, won at Missouri Valley Northern Iowa 20-14, this week, bye---The Grizzlies get an early time off after getting the lone win in the Big Sky/Missouri Valley Challenge.

3. Cal Poly (5)---Last Week, beat Pioneer's San Diego at home 38-16, this week at the Missouri Valley's South Dakota State---A couple impressive outings for the Mustangs in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year.

4. North Dakota (6)---Last week, lost at the MAC's Bowling Green 27-26, this week at home against the Missouri Valley's South Dakota---The Hawks clawed back in their game and came up short going for two and the win late against their FBS opponent.

5. Northern Arizona (2)---Last week, lost at Missouri Valley's Western Illinois 34-20, this week at home against DII New Mexico Highlands---The Lumberjacks had the worst performance in any of the Big Sky/Missouri Valley games, but still didn't look too bad.

6. Portland State (4)---Last week, lost at Mountain West's San Jose State 66-35, this week at Pac-12's Washington---Another big time passing quarterback is on the docket next week. Can the Viks figure out how to stop it?

7. Weber State (8)---Last week, lost at Missouri Valley's South Dakota 52-49 in 2OT, this week at home against Sacramento State---The Wildcats had their hopes dashed in a tight game last week. They now play a Big Sky opponent in a non conference game.

8. Southern Utah (11)---Last week, beat Southland's Southeast Louisiana 28-23, this week bye---The Thunderbirds found some offense to go with their defense this past week. Now they get a bye to hone both skills.

9. Northern Colorado (7)---Last week, beat Southland's Abilene Christian 55-52, this week at Mountain West's Colorado State---A couple high offensive games for the Bears have them feeling pretty well. Can their new found offense outscore their big brothers?

10. Montana State (9)---Last week, beat Northeast's Bryant 27-24, this week at home against DII Western Oregon---The Bobcats had their hands full last week at home and could find their hands full again this week.

11. UC-Davis (12)---Last week, beat NAIA'a Southern Oregon 52-35, this week at Mountain West's Wyoming---The Aggies have shown an ability to score, even against top competition. Can they slow down this big boy?

12. Idaho State (10)---Last week, lost at Pac-12's Colorado 56-7, this week at Pac-12's Oregon State---The Bengals continue their two week trial membership in the Pac-12, but this time the opponent gets tougher.

13. Sacramento State (13)---Last week, lost at Mountain West's Fresno State 31-3, this week at Weber State---The Hornets' first two games have not gone so well. They now get a non conference, conference game this week.

RECAP---1-2 emerging out front, 3-8 right there, 9-12 a step behind, 13 falling.

SUUTbird
September 11th, 2016, 10:25 PM
I don't see how we are behind WSU but the other picks look okay, should be noted we should be getting Hill, our starting QB back in time for Portland State so that should help us out when we play the Vikings.

lionsrking2
September 12th, 2016, 03:13 AM
I don't see how we are behind WSU but the other picks look okay, should be noted we should be getting Hill, our starting QB back in time for Portland State so that should help us out when we play the Vikings.

T-Birds will finish a lot higher than 8th in the Big Sky. Good game on Saturday night. Not so sure you guys aren't better with Tyler at QB. He played out of his mind.

bobcathpdevil56
September 12th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Ouch, Bobcats in the double digits in rankings. That one stings a bit on a Monday morning. Hard for me to argue against it though, just need a solid game against Western Oregon, and another W.

wapiti
September 12th, 2016, 09:39 AM
I too think SUU should be a bit higher in the rankings. The 4 teams ahead of them lost and SUU won their game. So one could argue for SUU to be as high as 4th.
One could argue some for NC to be higher too.

The difference between 4 through 9 is not much right now. Another week or two and it should start to sort it self out.