PDA

View Full Version : Towson @ Villanova

Gangtackle11
September 11th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Towson @ Villanova 3:30pm (Parent's Weekend)

Villanova leads series 7-5

Last meeting: Towson won 28-21 on 10/24/2015.

Towson (1-1; 0-0)
Head Coach Rob Ambrose 7th season (44-42)

Villanova (1-1;0-0)
Head Coach Andy Talley 36th season as HC (250-152-2; 222-134-1 @ Villanova)

Game to be televised on CSN.

ngineer
September 11th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Are they calling this season at 'nova, "The Final Talley"?

Anovafan
September 12th, 2016, 08:53 AM

Man I hope not, because the final tally on this season doesn't look good right now. Nova needs a new QB.

Ivytalk
September 12th, 2016, 11:35 AM

xawesomex

Pun-gineer strikes again!

CHIP72
September 12th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Man I hope not, because the final tally on this season doesn't look good right now. Nova needs a new QB.

And a kicker too.

DoubleH
September 12th, 2016, 03:47 PM
I know it's only game 3, but I consider this a must-win for Towson. On the road again at Richmond next week, so potentially opening 1-3 does not bode well for a playoff berth. Must win 2 of next 3 between @ Villanova, @ Richmond, and vs Stony Brook.

Gangtackle11
September 12th, 2016, 04:47 PM
I know it's only game 3, but I consider this a must-win for Towson. On the road again at Richmond next week, so potentially opening 1-3 does not bode well for a playoff berth. Must win 2 of next 3 between @ Villanova, @ Richmond, and vs Stony Brook.

I believe for the middling CAA teams these are must wins. Good chance several teams will be bunched up behind Richmond most likely. Head -to- head could determine if you are in or out even as early as games this week.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I believe for the middling CAA teams these are must wins. Good chance several teams will be bunched up behind Richmond most likely. Head -to- head could determine if you are in or out even as early as games this week.

Last year's Towson game, in which the Wildcats outplayed the Tigers but were killed by a couple of really long plays, almost singlehandedly kept Villanova out of the playoffs.

ngineer
September 12th, 2016, 08:41 PM
xawesomex

Pun-gineer strikes again!

Talley-ho!

VUCats02
September 12th, 2016, 10:39 PM
It will be very difficult for the loser of this game to make the playoffs. Given that it's a home game for Nova, I think nova needs to win a little more than Towson, but this will definitely be a game were all looking back at when it comes time to decide who should be in the playoffs.

Twyxx
September 12th, 2016, 11:13 PM

A new QB? I disagree completely. Bednarczyk has been fine so far, and I have faith in him. Avoiding turnovers has been a huge improvement.

As for Andy's final season, yes we struggled against Lehigh, but an 8-6 record is not unrealistically out of reach and that would mean playoffs. Our defense will keep us competitive, and the offense has shown it can operate under pressure.

Gangtackle11
September 13th, 2016, 06:12 AM
A new QB? I disagree completely. Bednarczyk has been fine so far, and I have faith in him. Avoiding turnovers has been a huge improvement.

As for Andy's final season, yes we struggled against Lehigh, but an 8-6 record is not unrealistically out of reach and that would mean playoffs. Our defense will keep us competitive, and the offense has shown it can operate under pressure.

I'm somewhere in between on our QB. The best part of his game is he is an excellent scrambler. The worst part of his game is he is too quick to take off. Rarely checks down off primary receiver if covered. There have been more than a few times where receivers are wide open, but he's already decided to take off scrambling. I think he's overly cautious given his issues with game turning interceptions last season. Our offense was non-existent @ Pitt (to be expected) & one dimensional vs. Lehigh (396 yds. rushing/46 yds. passing). He needs to get his receivers involved more or teams will stack the box & spy him soon enough.

The offense isn't explosive. Very vanilla & predictable. That's ok as long as our defense can play at their highest levels.

Villanova's defense is among the best in the CAA. This team needs to play to that strength. The offense must be efficient & move the chains. Score 20 & Nova will win enough to be a playoff team. The kicking game sans the punter is an Achilles heel & will cost them a game somewhere in this schedule if it doesn't get fixed. Missing FGs is one thing, but 2 PATs vs. Lehigh is down right bad.

Opening line is Villanova -6.5. I think it's a low scoring game decided by less than the spread.

As for the season if all goes right it could be a 8-3 team. I'd lean closer to 7-4 and if the passing & kicking game doesn't improve 6-5 or 5-6.

centraljerseycat
September 13th, 2016, 07:34 AM
I honestly don't know what to expect from this team. After 2 games the only things I've learned is that we can run and punt very well. We can't complete a pass outside a screen, don't put much pressure on the QB and have the worst placekicking in college football 3 years running. 8-3 is being overly optimistic even with a relatively easy schedule. I'll go 7-4.

As for quarterbacks I see the true freshman from Cranford, NJ Jack Schetelich taking over as early as next season.

Gangtackle11
September 13th, 2016, 08:02 AM
I honestly don't know what to expect from this team. After 2 games the only things I've learned is that we can run and punt very well. We can't complete a pass outside a screen, don't put much pressure on the QB and have the worst placekicking in college football 3 years running. 8-3 is being overly optimistic even with a relatively easy schedule. I'll go 7-4.

As for quarterbacks I see the true freshman from Cranford, NJ Jack Schetelich taking over as early as next season.

I tend to agree with you on Schetelich. Also the 2017 QB commit may make some noise. Had MAC offers, is 6'4" & looks pretty mobile with a good accurate arm.

Its imperative to be 5-1 going to Richmond. The next few weeks line up Towson, @Lafayette, @Elon, & Rhode Island. Get past Towson and it should happen. Back end of schedule is problematic with @Richmond, Albany, @Maine, JMU, & @Delaware.

Cant see how we go 7-2 from here to finish 8-3. I'm in the 6-3 camp to finish 7-4 & hopefully good enough to qualify for FCS playoffs in Coach Talley's last hurrah.

Lose to Towson & it will take an incredible turn around to get in.

Nova09
September 13th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Was really surprised da Silva was not named the starter coming out of spring, not that I was at any practices but based on Bednarczyk turnovers more than anything else. That said, I have been very impressed with his maturity. I do recognize he was playing as an inexperienced young guy tossed into a tough spot replacing Walter Payton winner unexpectedly. My conclusion is we have no reliable WRs. Zach may take off and run when receivers are open, but he also passes to open receivers and they drop it.

Gangtackle11
September 13th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Towson Game Notes: http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/towsontigers.com/documents/2016/9/13/Villanova_Notes.pdf?id=4225

Anovafan
September 15th, 2016, 08:46 AM
I've seen enough on Zach, he hasn't improved and still plays like a high school qb. He can't throw under pressure and single handedly lost games last year that nova could have won. I see Polony all over again. Time to split time with dasilva. He runs better and is bigger. If he can complete 2 passes in a half he will be better there too.

Defense will be good but they can't win all of the games especially late in the season when injuries mount and fatigue sets in. Nova needs an offense that can score 30. This one can't right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gangtackle11
September 15th, 2016, 11:44 AM
I've seen enough on Zach, he hasn't improved and still plays like a high school qb. He can't throw under pressure and single handedly lost games last year that nova could have won. I see Polony all over again. Time to split time with dasilva. He runs better and is bigger. If he can complete 2 passes in a half he will be better there too.

Defense will be good but they can't win all of the games especially late in the season when injuries mount and fatigue sets in. Nova needs an offense that can score 30. This one can't right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant argue with your assessment.

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2016, 12:07 PM

I think 8-6 is going to be tough. You guys would have to get in the playoffs at 6-5 and then win your first two games.

Gangtackle11
September 15th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Villanova Game Notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20160915aaa.pdf

UIWWildthing
September 15th, 2016, 04:01 PM
I'd have to agree, this is definitely a must-win for Towson. The Richmond game I'm sure won't be pretty, especially with the question mark at QB right now with Mahalak's injury.

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2016, 04:13 PM
you guys are being drama queens .....must win games on Sep 17th? sure

Gangtackle11
September 15th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Villanova Game Notes:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20160915aaa.pdf

Gangtackle11
September 15th, 2016, 05:22 PM

Must may be a bit much for week 3, but important game it most likely is. Unless the bottom teams surprise there will be a few teams with 7 wins most likely. Head-to-head may help decide.

DoctorRemulak
September 16th, 2016, 09:45 AM

Normally I would agree that it's too early, but going into Richmond at 1-2 (which would then likely turn into 1-3 following the game) is not a position that we want to be in. At that point, we would have to win 6 out of our final 7 games to even be considered for playoffs. Given our recent history with getting 7 wins and missing the playoffs (2012 and 2015), I'd feel a lot better leaving Nova at 2-1.

Nova09
September 17th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Bednarczk starting this game 11/12 for 114 yards and 3 tds is really handing the game to Towson. Not sure why we even pay coaches when this message board is free