September 11th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Western Carolina 33 vs ETSU 17
Chattanooga 28 at Furman 17
Tennessee Tech 14 at Mercer 24
The Citadel 33 at Gardner-Webb 20
Johnson C. Smith 11 at Wofford 42

Milktruck74
September 11th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Western Carolina 35-ETSU 10 - the Bucs come up short, but they set the all time record for loss in front of the most empty seats ever....about 157,300.

Chattanooga 34- Furman 9 - the Mocs step up the competition and Antonio shows what he can do...The Defense proves to be too much for the Furples

Tennessee Tech 21-Mercer 24 - Bears find a way and make the SoCon OOC record keep looking good.

The Citadel 28-Gardner-Webb 21 - Bulldogs win, the ones in blue....

Johnson C. Smith 14-Wofford - the Pups do what they can to make this a close one, but in the end they manage to pull away from the inferior team.

chattanoogamocs
September 11th, 2016, 08:20 PM
I know I have made fun of the whole Bristol thing...and I know there are WCU and ETSU fans that seem to be genuinely excited about this game, so obviously, they get a little prickly when people talk down about this event.

But I don't say all this just because I am trying to make fun of ETSU and WCU. I just think it makes both programs look bad...and thus, it makes the SoCon look bad.

They just had 156,000 people there on Saturday and it is a huge story. Now, a week later, you may...if you are really optimistic...get 20,000 people there. That leaves something like 140-150,000 empty seats. It is going to make ETSU and WCU look even smaller than they are (not meant as an insult, just a P5 reality, we all look small).

It looks second class, it looks like they are getting the leftovers of UT and VT (well, because they are). It reinforces in average FBS football fans minds that FCS is small time.

I do a lot of work in marketing, merchandising, and branding in athletics and to me, this is just a bad move and potentially a PR black eye. I feel like BMS probably pumped up both schools that it would be super awesome(!) because they really just wanted to squeeze some more money out of the field before they had to take it back up.

Of course, it is FCS football, so it will probably get little coverage anyway, so maybe I am overreacting.

I do sincerely hope the fans and players of both teams have fun. If you want to blast away it my opinion, I am cool with that.

As for picks, I think UTC/Furman is the only toss up...

WCU vs ETSU
(KSU was one thing, WCU is better)
Chattanooga at Furman
(I'll keep picking the Mocs until they give me a reason not to)
TTU at Mercer
(I come from a family of Tech engineers, but I don't think they have near enough for the Bears)
The Citadel at Gardner-Webb
(Fully expect The Citadel to roll)
Johnson C. Smith at Wofford
(the only debate is who is worse? Shorter, Mars Hill or some guy named Johnson)

It will be interesting to see how Chattanooga performs against Furman. Honestly, with the two teams UTC has played so far, it is impossible to know if they are any good or not.

ElCid
September 11th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Western Carolina 35-ETSU 10 - the Bucs come up short, but they set the all time record for loss in front of the most empty seats ever....about 157,300.

Chattanooga 34- Furman 9 - the Mocs step up the competition and Antonio shows what he can do...The Defense proves to be too much for the Furples

Tennessee Tech 21-Mercer 24 - Bears find a way and make the SoCon OOC record keep looking good.

The Citadel 28-Gardner-Webb 21 - Bulldogs win, the ones in blue....

Johnson C. Smith 14-Wofford - the Pups do what they can to make this a close one, but in the end they manage to pull away from the inferior team.

I don't think UTC scores 34 against Furman. And not sure G-W can put up 21 on us.

tenNesseeCat
September 11th, 2016, 09:08 PM
I just think it makes both programs look bad...and thus, it makes the SoCon look bad.

I do sincerely hope the fans and players of both teams have fun

Which looks worse, 20k in Bristol, or <10k/<50% capacity for a highly ranked program at home 2 weeks in a row?

We should have a blast, thanks!

tenNesseeCat
September 11th, 2016, 09:12 PM
I don't think UTC scores 34 against Furman. And not sure G-W can put up 21 on us.

If your D plays like they did vs us last year, then they'd be lucky to score.

They do have some size though.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2016, 09:49 PM

Sure. Why not? Took Michigan State four quarters to score 28 at home but UTC will come to Paladin Stadium and put up 34 on us.

chattanoogamocs
September 11th, 2016, 10:57 PM
Which looks worse, 20k in Bristol, or <10k/<50% capacity for a highly ranked program at home 2 weeks in a row?

We should have a blast, thanks!

Step back and think about how silly that sounds.

A half empty stadium (10,000 empty seats) looks a lot better than a stadium that has ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY THOUSAND empty seats (if you get to 20K, the place is still EIGHTY EIGHT PERCENT EMPTY)

You need to get back to the drawing board on the smack talk.

chattanoogamocs
September 11th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Sure. Why not? Took Michigan State four quarters to score 28 at home but UTC will come to Paladin Stadium and put up 34 on us.

My gut says it is going to be a relatively low scoring game. I think the UTC defense is legit (I don't think the Mocs will ever have a bad D as long as Huesman is the coach), but still waiting for the Mocs to play a comparative D before making any real assessment about this years offense.

ElCid
September 11th, 2016, 11:44 PM
My gut says it is going to be a relatively low scoring game. I think the UTC defense is legit (I don't think the Mocs will ever have a bad D as long as Huesman is the coach), but still waiting for the Mocs to play a comparative D before making any real assessment about this years offense.

I am still, a little bit, skeptical about the Mocs O. Not saying they will not develop still, everyone does, but one stat stood out in the PC game that really made my scratch my head. O-fer on 3rd down conversions. 0-9. Still won handily and didn't really need them but NOT converting on at least 1 of the 9......?? I think your QB may still be settling into his new role. I watched the first quarter before I left for our game and they looked a bit rough. D looks solid obviously. I think we will find out a lot more this coming weekend.

ElCid
September 11th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Step back and think about how silly that sounds.

A half empty stadium (10,000 empty seats) looks a lot better than a stadium that has ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY THOUSAND empty seats (if you get to 20K, the place is still EIGHTY EIGHT PERCENT EMPTY)

I don't know. I do not think it is that big a deal. NOBODY thinks that they could fill it up. I think the racetrack just felt that another week of advertising, however small will still be in their interest to boost future games that they might explore. I think it is a win for everyone...especially for the folks this weekend since they will have sweet parking.

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2016, 01:21 AM
I am still, a little bit, skeptical about the Mocs O. Not saying they will not develop still, everyone does, but one stat stood out in the PC game that really made my scratch my head. O-fer on 3rd down conversions. 0-9. Still won handily and didn't really need them but NOT converting on at least 1 of the 9......?? I think your QB may still be settling into his new role. I watched the first quarter before I left for our game and they looked a bit rough. D looks solid obviously. I think we will find out a lot more this coming weekend.

Sounds like you stopped watching at a point that was great for your fantasy. 2 shaky drives followed by non stop fireworks until the starters sat and the play calling got very conservative. Just look at the the other stats instead of grasping onto 1 that gives you hope. It's no longer going to be a slow death, it's going to be a barrage.

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 01:45 AM
Sounds like you stopped watching at a point that was great for your fantasy. 2 shaky drives followed by non stop fireworks until the starters sat and the play calling got very conservative. Just look at the the other stats instead of grasping onto 1 that gives you hope. It's no longer going to be a slow death, it's going to be a barrage.

That does not answer why you converted 0 of 9 3rd downs. I will wait until you play Furman to make a rational evaluation.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2016, 05:17 AM

I do think that is an interesting factor. Furman has played two tough, fast, physical teams on the road already. UTC has played two relatively weak opponents at home and really hasn't been challenged. There is at least some question as to how they will respond against a bigger, faster, more physical team than they've seen to this point.

This will assuredly be UTC's toughest test to this point. The Mocs struggled some on the road last season with closer-than-expceted efforts against PC, VMI, Wofford, and a loss to Mercer. Not uncharacteristic of them to be found in a tough scrap on the road.

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2016, 05:35 AM
That does not answer why you converted 0 of 9 3rd downs. I will wait until you play Furman to make a rational evaluation.

It was a fluke. Talk about it when it becomes a trend. They didn't even try to pick up the last 3.

You realize Chattanooga's qb was 11 of 15 for 279 yards right? 1st string RB ran the ball 9 times for 118 yards and the backup ran it 6 times for 66 yards. You see those stats?

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2016, 06:01 AM
This talk about Presbyterian being the ultimate cupcake and furman being a tough test is somewhat strange. First of all, chattanooga gave PC by far their worst FCS loss of the year last year, and while they lost more than furman, I'd say they had at least as good of a defense. Furman may be a tougher test, they are not a tough test for chattanooga. I know furman can't block chattanooga, so they won't be able to move the ball with any consistency. I don't think they can stop any aspect of chattanooga whether it be the passing game, the rb, or the qb running the ball. I fully expect them to attempt to stack the box and stop craine and have him still have a decent game and bennifield destroy them.

OL FU
September 12th, 2016, 06:28 AM
Rank/Team W-L(ALL) W-L(SoCon) PF PA
1) The Citadel 2-0 2-0 43 37
2) Chattanooga 2-0 0-0 100 00
3) Samford 2-0 0-0 112 36
4) East Tennessee State 1-0 0-0 20 17
5) VMI 1-1 0-0 41 60
6) Western Carolina 1-1 0-0 51 66
7) Wofford 1-1 0-0 34 45
8) Furman 0-1 0-2 27 47
8) Mercer 0-1 0-2 33 59

next week's schedule:
Western Carolina vs ETSU (Bristol, TN)
Chattanooga at Furman
Tennessee Tech at Mercer
Samford - OPEN
VMI - OPEN

I agree with those picks.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2016, 06:38 AM
This talk about Presbyterian being the ultimate cupcake and furman being a tough test is somewhat strange. First of all, chattanooga gave PC by far their worst FCS loss of the year last year, and while they lost more than furman, I'd say they had at least as good of a defense. Furman may be a tougher test, they are not a tough test for chattanooga. I know furman can't block chattanooga, so they won't be able to move the ball with any consistency. I don't think they can stop any aspect of chattanooga whether it be the passing game, the rb, or the qb running the ball. I fully expect them to attempt to stack the box and stop craine and have him still have a decent game and bennifield destroy them.

For my own sanity, I am not going to respond to this drivel this week.

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2016, 06:58 AM
For my own sanity, I am not going to respond to this drivel this week.

Good, you talked up furman last year and it was 31-3. Expect more of the same.

Milktruck74
September 12th, 2016, 07:08 AM
We will all know on Saturday afternoon. G-W, maybe a stretch....Chattanooga is quite capable of hanging 34 on Furman....Huesman will keep the starters in as long as the Mocs control the game by 3 or more TDs. So, if Furman scores, Chattanooga will continue to hang points on Offense....IF Furple cant put up points, they will be playing against the back ups. I really dont think people know how good this team is....but we shall see on Saturday.

tenNesseeCat
September 12th, 2016, 07:57 AM

Not trying to talk smack, just state the facts. YOU are the one speaking poorly of WCU and ETSU for playing in Bristol, but they will possibly have more fans at one game than UTC has had in two games combined. Think about that, in a town with over 170k ya'll can't even get 10k to a game for a highly ranked teams season opener, or even 9k for a game against another D-1. You've given your thoughts on the venue for this game multiple times as bad PR for the SoCon, but down play the bad PR of a poor attendance trend at Finley this year. Keep hatin, and I'll drink an extra beer for you while I watch my team play in the "last great colosseum"
xbeerchugx

SU DOG
September 12th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Now Samford has problems of its own, but I am going to chime in on this UTC being 'almighty' talk. I watched the entire Presby game, and the Mocs, like every team, do have some flaws. Their special teams is one, and that would be a hard issue to defend, as they were definitely bad. IMO, the O-line is not what I expected it to be against a very weak PC defense. You can regurgitate numbers all you want, but that game stream is still available for anyone to watch. Bennifield is definitely good, and so is Craine, but Bennifield has not yet showed he can lead the team to a win in a struggle like Huesman could. He may can, but hasn't passed that test yet. Don't get me wrong, this UTC team is plenty GOOD, but if their players go into Paladin Stadium thinking this will be like the first 2 games, as some of their fans evidently do, it could be a long afternoon.
I can't wait to see this game.

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Now Samford has problems of its own, but I am going to chime in on this UTC being 'almighty' talk. I watched the entire Presby game, and the Mocs, like every team, do have some flaws. Their special teams is one, and that would be a hard issue to defend, as they were definitely bad. IMO, the O-line is not what I expected it to be against a very weak PC defense. You can regurgitate numbers all you want, but that game stream is still available for anyone to watch. Bennifield is definitely good, and so is Craine, but Bennifield has not yet showed he can lead the team to a win in a struggle like Huesman could. He may can, but hasn't passed that test yet. Don't get me wrong, this UTC team is plenty GOOD, but if their players go into Paladin Stadium thinking this will be like the first 2 games, as some of their fans evidently do, it could be a long afternoon.

You need to put down the Crack pipe if you think there is any chance chattanooga is going to have " a long day." " you don't roll into paladin stadium"yes, we do. Paladin Stadium isn't jack ****. Furman and Presbyterian are the same program!!! Furman is slightly better. Chattanooga destroyed presbyterian. Chattanooga did have a couple protection issues. They still had 370 yards in the first half. Presbyterian made a play or two and we are supposed to be scared. Ribeiro is a Brazilian kid who loses his composure from time to time. His numbers don't lie. He's a good kicker.

All you needed to say was "bennifield is good." If that's the case it's pretty much over. Wasn't that supposed to be the question? You are trying to make Chattanooga's veteran oline the question mark? Their all socon kicker? Grasping at straws? Was our kick return game not good enough for you? Sorry we haven't had much practice.

Gosh, I better brace for this big step up in competition.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2016, 09:21 AM

Even a really good UTC team failed to really run away with games on the road last year. They beat PC by 21 on the road in a closer-than-expected game. After that, 10 point win over Samford, 6 over VMI, 3 over Wofford, and losses to Mercer and Jacksonville State.

Put another way, UTC's average margin of victory last year in SoCon road games was just over 6 points. Not exactly running teams off the field on the road.

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Serious question. Were you even around when Furman shoved the football down UTC's throat every season for the better part of two decades?

No, but the way things are going we could be headed for something pretty similar in the opposite direction. Wake up, it's a new world. Your team sucks. Your program is its players, coaches, and facilities more than your history. Yours suck.

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Even a really good UTC team failed to really run away with games on the road last year. They beat PC by 21 on the road in a closer-than-expected game. After that, 10 point win over Samford, 6 over VMI, 3 over Wofford, and losses to Mercer and Jacksonville State.

Put another way, UTC's average margin of victory last year in SoCon road games was just over 6 points. Not exactly running teams off the field on the road.

Are you hoping for a moral victory? Chattanooga is the most improved team in the conference. First you were clinging to your old winning streak. Now you are clinging to results from a year we won a socon title and beat furman 31-3? Pathetic.

SU DOG
September 12th, 2016, 09:32 AM
You need to put down the Crack pipe if you think there is any chance chattanooga is going to have " a long day." " you don't roll into paladin stadium"yes, we do. Paladin Stadium isn't jack ****. Furman and Presbyterian are the same program!!! Furman is slightly better. Chattanooga destroyed presbyterian. Chattanooga did have a couple protection issues. They still had 370 yards in the first half. Presbyterian made a play or two and we are supposed to be scared. Ribeiro is a Brazilian kid who loses his composure from time to time. His numbers don't lie. He's a good kicker.

All you needed to say was "bennifield is good." If that's the case it's pretty much over. Wasn't that supposed to be the question? You are trying to make Chattanooga's veteran oline the question mark? Their all socon kicker? Grasping at straws? Was our kick return game not good enough for you? Sorry we haven't had much practice.

Gosh, I better brace for this big step up in competition.

OK, as others have stated on here, there isn't much use to try to respond to your posts, but I will make this one response. If you think Presby is anywhere near as good as Furman this year, that shows how much knowledge you have about your next opponent. It must be nice to be able to envision your team steamrolling every opponent. I'm sure you thought the same thing last year before Mercer. I'm not saying that Furman will win, but if I were you I would not think that the upset is totally impossible.

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2016, 09:41 AM
OK, as others have stated on here, there isn't much use to try to respond to your posts, but I will make this one response. If you think Presby is anywhere near as good as Furman this year, that shows how much knowledge you have about your next opponent. It must be nice to be able to envision your team steamrolling every opponent. I'm sure you thought the same thing last year before Mercer. I'm not saying that Furman will win, but if I were you I would not think that the upset is totally impossible.

Presbyterian isn't anywhere near as good furman, but you want me to believe furman is anywhere near as good as chattanooga? Please.

FUBeAR
September 12th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Ribeiro is a Brazilian kid who loses his composure from time to time.

Racist

walliver
September 12th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Power Rankings:
1) The Citadel - 2-0 in the SoCon against decent teams should count for something
2) Chattanooga - Still my favorite to win the conference, but hasn't played anybody decent yet
3) Samford - still undefeated with one legitimate win
4) Wofford - good win against a decent team with a P5 loss
5) Western - good win against a decent team, with a G5 loss
6) VMI - narrow win over non-scholarship team with G5 loss
7) Furman - The best 0-2 team in FCS
8) Mercer - The second best 0-2 team in FCS
9) ETSU - hasn't won a SoCon game in 13 years

This week:
WCU vs ETSU - Are the Cants for real? We find out Saturday as the WCU beats ETSU 38-3
Chattanooga at Furman - The horsey people will slow down the TrainBirds, but they need to score points to win. Upset bid falls short as Mocs pull out a 27-24 win
TTU at Mercer - TTU is improved from last year, but cubbies have homefield advantage and win 31-20
The Citadel at Gardner-Webb - The running pups couldn't stop the kitties last week, the bullpups won't be stopped either. Big South referees keep the game close, but bellhops win 42-28
JC Smith at Wofford - Terriers play plain vanilla option and dominate the game, but not as dominating a score 35-17

It's mid-September, and 7 of 9 SoCon teams still control their destiny. A Furman loss could put them on the bubble very early in the year.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Citadel sitting pretty at the moment. Two weeks in and the Bulldogs have two conference wins against, perhaps, the two most upset-minded programs in the league.

Bison56
September 12th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Racist

He doesn't even know what that means, so don't expect a response.

tenNesseeCat
September 12th, 2016, 11:12 AM
I don't think I missed one last week.

Western Carolina vs ETSU - by 17+ I really wanna say by more, but we are capable of mistakes.
Chattanooga at Furman - by 14 the FU D will hang, but I don't think their O will.
Tennessee Tech at Mercer - by 7 MU needs to win this!
The Citadel at Gardner-Webb - by 17+ G-dub has some size, but The Citadel should have their way.
Johnson C. Smith at Wofford - by 21+ xboringx

Power:
UTC
The Citadel
Samford
WCU
Wofford
Furman
Mercer
VMI
ETSU

BearDownMU
September 12th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Tennessee Tech at Mercer - by 7 MU needs to win this!

Ain't this the truth....

Mocs123
September 12th, 2016, 11:40 AM
We will have a TOUGH test with Furman this week. The Furman D is as good as just about anyone in the FCS and are always tough on the road.

Our special teams were very shaky this week and will have to improve to make it through the SoCon unscathed.

I think our D is the real deal and can play with any D in our league. Our O still has to prove itself against a top tier D. Bennifield looked fantastic on Saturday which made me breathe a sigh of relief. The key for him this week will be to not turn it over against a strong secondary.

Our O line should be good but we may have a starter out (Hunter Townson who left the game with an ankle) and a freshman filling in.

I will say there won't be an easy week in the SoCon this year, every team not named ETSU will spoil someone's day.

There is no doubt that Furman playing The Citadel and Michigan St. Has better prepared them for this Saturday than us playing Shorter and Prysbyterian.

CID1990
September 12th, 2016, 11:46 AM
The main reason I'm mad at GSU and ASU for leaving is that we have to put up with Chattown deeper into the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CID1990
September 12th, 2016, 11:47 AM
We will have a TOUGH test with Furman this week. The Furman D is as good as just about anyone in the FCS and are always tough on the road.

Our special teams were very shaky this week and will have to improve to make it through the SoCon unscathed.

I think our D is the real deal and can play with any D in our league. Our O still has to prove itself against a top tier D. Bennifield looked fantastic on Saturday which made me breathe a sigh of relief. The key for him this week will be to not turn it over against a strong secondary.

Our O line should be good but we may have a starter out (Hunter Townson who left the game with an ankle) and a freshman filling in.

I will say there won't be an easy week in the SoCon this year, every team not named ETSU will spoil someone's day.

There is no doubt that Furman playing The Citadel and Michigan St. Has better prepared them for this Saturday than us playing Shorter and Prysbyterian.

One thing is for sure- if Chatty hangs 38 on that Furman defense then they are certainly deserving of their ranking.

Mocs123
September 12th, 2016, 11:58 AM
I doubt we hang 38 on Furman (though I would love to). I have us as a winner by 3 17-14.

The rest of my picks to follow.

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 11:58 AM
One thing is for sure- if Chatty hangs 38 on that Furman defense then they are certainly deserving of their ranking.

If they hang 38 on Furman they are too low.

moc n tn1991
September 12th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Well, here goes my first post. It is always tough to figure out what each team will do this early in the season. I know that several of the SoCon teams have played tough against the big boys (FBS). Well, here is my picks for this week.

Western Carolina over East Tennessee 45-6 (I don't see ETSU giving much of a fight)
Chattanooga Furman 23-17 (This will be the Mocs first real test. Furman played well against Michigan St and I thought they should have won against The Citadel.)
Mercer over Tn Tech 27-14 (Mercer has a tough team and I don't see Tech staying with the Bears for very long)
The Citadel over Gardner-Webb 31-14 (The Citadel has a breather this week before another showdown with WCU.)
Wofford over Johnson C. Smith 47-3 (Every team needs a chance to give their starters a rest.)

SU DOG
September 12th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Great to get another SoCon poster on board - WELCOME!!!

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Well, here goes my first post. It is always tough to figure out what each team will do this early in the season. I know that several of the SoCon teams have played tough against the big boys (FBS). Well, here is my picks for this week.

Western Carolina over East Tennessee 45-6 (I don't see ETSU giving much of a fight)
Chattanooga Furman 23-17 (This will be the Mocs first real test. Furman played well against Michigan St and I thought they should have won against The Citadel.)
Mercer over Tn Tech 27-14 (Mercer has a tough team and I don't see Tech staying with the Bears for very long)
The Citadel over Gardner-Webb 31-14 (The Citadel has a breather this week before another showdown with WCU.)
Wofford over Johnson C. Smith 47-3 (Every team needs a chance to give their starters a rest.)

Welcome! I like your picks. I think your scores are pretty darn good as well. We can't breathe too easy at G-W. Our O needs some work and they love to pull upsets.

Sandlapper Spike
September 12th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Two years ago, Gardner-Webb gave us a hard time for about three quarters. I don't expect anything less this week.

chattanoogamocs
September 12th, 2016, 06:45 PM

The reiterate the comments of the distinguished gentlemen from Samford and The Citadel...welcome to the fold and nice job out of the gate on the picks (pretty much dead on for what I would pick too)

moc n tn1991
September 12th, 2016, 07:00 PM
I figured I have been watching long enough and it was time to join in the fun.

longtimemocfan
September 12th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Western Carolina @ETSU(Bristol) Cats 45-10.
Chattanooga@ Furman- Mocs have outscored Paladins 138-41 last 4 meetings. I think this year could be a little closer 24-10 Mocs.
Tenn. Tech @Mercer -Bears need to win this game and I think they will 27-17.
The Citadel @ Gardner Webb - The battle of the bulldogs, but El Cid will be the ones running by 31-17.
J.C. Smith @ Wofford - Terriers in a easy one 44-6.

Mocs123
September 12th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Chattanooga 17 - Game of the Week - This has all of the makings of a defensive slugfest. The Paladins will give the Mocs their biggest test yet, but Chattanooga, escapes South Carolina with the win
Furman 14

The Citadel 42 - The SoCon wins the battle of the Bulldogs
Gardner Webb 10

Tennessee Tech 7
Mercer 24 - The Bears take care of business at home and pick up a nice win for the SoCon.

Western Carolina 49 - Western Continues to roll in front of a lot of empty seats
ETSU 10

JC Smith 3
Wofford 44 - I know nothing about JC Smith, but I am willing to bet he gets spanked this week

Rankings - The rankings this year are still tough - I wouldn’t be surprised to see some teams move a round quite a bit. For example - I have Mercer and Wofford ranked near the bottom and I think they are good football teams. I think this is going to be a crazy year in the SoCon with all of the teams looking pretty good
1.) Chattanooga - Looked good against Big South’s Presbyterian - The real season begins this week
2.) The Citadel - Gutted out a win against a strong Furman D.
3.) Furman - The Furman D keeps getting it done, but the O is still struggling a bit. Hopefully they wait until next week against CCU to get it together
4.) Samford - Won a BIG OCC win for the SoCon, but the O didn’t look as dominant as I had thought.
5.) Western Carolina - Manhandled Gardner Webb for a SoCon OCC victory
6.) Mercer - looked decent against GT
7.) Wofford - didn’t get embarrassed at Ole Miss
8.) VMI - Didn’t look great against Morehead St, but they got it done.
9.) ETSU - Had a bye week to get ready for Western Carolina

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Chattanooga 17 - Game of the Week - This has all of the makings of a defensive slugfest. The Paladins will give the Mocs their biggest test yet, but Chattanooga, escapes South Carolina with the win
Furman 14

The Citadel 42 - The SoCon wins the battle of the Bulldogs
Gardner Webb 10

Tennessee Tech 7
Mercer 24 - The Bears go up to Cookville and come away with a nice win for the SoCon.

Western Carolina 49 - Western Continues to roll in front of a lot of empty seats
ETSU 10

JC Smith 3
Wofford 44 - I know nothing about JC Smith, but I am willing to bet he gets spanked this week

Rankings - The rankings this year are still tough - I wouldn’t be surprised to see some teams move a round quite a bit. For example - I have Mercer and Wofford ranked near the bottom and I think they are good football teams. I think this is going to be a crazy year in the SoCon with all of the teams looking pretty good
1.) Chattanooga - Looked good against Big South’s Presbyterian - The real season begins this week
2.) The Citadel - Gutted out a win against a strong Furman D.
3.) Furman - The Furman D keeps getting it done, but the O is still struggling a bit. Hopefully they wait until next week against CCU to get it together
4.) Samford - Won a BIG OCC win for the SoCon, but the O didn’t look as dominant as I had thought.
5.) Western Carolina - Manhandled Gardner Webb for a SoCon OCC victory
6.) Mercer - looked decent against GT
7.) Wofford - didn’t get embarrassed at Ole Miss
8.) VMI - Didn’t look great against Morehead St, but they got it done.
9.) ETSU - Had a bye week to get ready for Western Carolina

I think Mercer is at home. Not sure they will win by that margin either even at home, but maybe. They are itching for a win but Tenn Tech is better than folks think as well. If we score 42 I will be much happier than I am right now thinking about our stalled O. But I think we get our QB back full time so maybe. I was thinking 31-10 range.

Mocs123
September 12th, 2016, 09:14 PM
You are right ElCid - Mercer is at home - I have corrected my post.

I think The Citadels offense usually gets better as the season progresses.

sudog03
September 12th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I must say in the eight seasons that Samford has been in the SoCon. I believe this version to be the best yet in terms of quality depth. UTC may be in a class by itself, but I really believe teams 2-6 are quality teams that are separated by very little. Take Citadel, the number 2 team in the league, has 2 conference wins by a combined 6 points. My rankings:

1. UTC - back-to-back shutouts impressive regardless of opponent
2. El Cid - has done a lot of heavy lifting already with a 2-0 conference mark
3. Samford - quality road win against UCA
4. Furman - played a good Michigan State team tough and had a 4th quarter lead at Citadel
5. Wofford - just not enough talent defensively to get in top half of the league
6. Mercer - Lamb can't seem to win the close games
7. VMI - slightly disappointing win against Morehead
8. ETSU - turned around a very lopsided loss against KSU from last season for their first division 1 since reinstating the program

This Week -
Chattanooga at Furman
Tennessee Tech at Mercer

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Power Rankings:
1) #9 Chattanooga - 100-0 in two games, regardless of opponents, has to be given respect
2) #13 The Citadel - 2-0 gets them here
3) #21 Samford - might have issues but still won a tough OOC road game
4) Wofford - A little bit of a mystery still, but held their composure against a good SEC team (#4 and 5 are really interchangeable)
5) Western Carolina - Could be higher after a dominating game
6) ORV Mercer - held their own against a tough running ACC team
7) VMI - sneaked one past the Pioneer but still a W
8) ORV Furman - with two more losses possible this month, Sept 2016 may go down as bloody Sept in Furman lore; something has got to give
9) ETSU - welcome back Bucs! They won’t be here forever

Predictions:
#13 The Citadel @ Gardner-Webb - The Dogs O has been slow to start; yes Mercer and Furman played pretty good D, but I think we are still on the upward swing. Do they come alive this week? With Dominique Allen probably back full time and the O-line coming together, maybe - 31-10

Western Carolina @ ETSU (At Bristol Speedway) - Western got their O in gear BIG TIME this last week; their D was a little better as well; they do some fine tuning as they lap ETSU a few times - 42-7 Oh, and I predict an attendance of 26,457

#9 Chattanooga @ ORV Furman - SOCON game of the Week - UTC has won 5 of the last 6 (Furman won 15 straight prior to that); UTC will not score like they have, but I think the determining matchup will be UTC D against a Furman O desperate to put some points on the board; Furman needs to play mistake free or the Mocs will eat their lunch; Furman will rise to the challenge, but I think they come up short - 23-20

Tenn Tech @ ORV Mercer - Tenn Tech is better than folks think; but the Bears are hungry hungry hungry - 34-24

JC Smith @ Wofford - Wofford cruises and gets everyone some reps 45-7

Smitty
September 13th, 2016, 05:23 AM
I must say in the eight seasons that Samford has been in the SoCon. I believe this version to be the best yet in terms of quality depth. UTC may be in a class by itself, but I really believe teams 2-6 are quality teams that are separated by very little. Take Citadel, the number 2 team in the league, has 2 conference wins by a combined 6 points. My rankings:

4. Furman - played a good Michigan State team tough and had a 4th quarter lead at Citadel
5. Wofford - just not enough talent defensively to get in top half of the league
8. ETSU - turned around a very lopsided loss against KSU from last season for their first division 1 since reinstating the program

This Week -
Chattanooga at Furman
Tennessee Tech at Mercer

Ouch, WCU is so bad we don't even get ranked in the conference. :D

sudog03
September 13th, 2016, 06:12 AM
Ouch, WCU is so bad we don't even get ranked in the conference. :D

That's what I get for doing it in a hurry! My apologies!

5. WCU - bad loss to ECU not looking so bad after ECU's win against NC State

tenNesseeCat
September 13th, 2016, 06:18 AM
42-7 Oh, and I predict an attendance of 26,457

sold!!!

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Good gravy. Haven't cross checked these stats, but reports on our board are that the Citadel's 191 rushing yards on Saturday was their second lowest rushing total in three years. Charleston Southern held them to 189 a few years ago on 13 fewer attempts.

Citadel finished with 107 passing yards, and 30 of those came on a heave ho in the fourth quarter on a third and long to a well covered receiver who made a great grab. Citadel notched only 12 first downs, and 5 of those were on their first drive of the game. They wouldn't get another first down until midway through the third quarter.

Looking at those numbers makes that loss sting all the more. Paladins were in a position to win that football game, and just came up short. I imagine that may be the one game this year we wish we had back. If we could ever generate anything offensively this team might actually be pretty good.

Smitty
September 13th, 2016, 07:22 AM
1. UTC
2. Samford
3. The Citadel
4. Furman
5. Western
6. Wofford
7. Mercer
8. VMI
9. ETSU

This Week -
Chattanooga at Furman
Tennessee Tech at Mercer

Catamount87
September 13th, 2016, 07:47 AM
This week's power rankings

1. UTC - until proved otherwise
2. Samford - leapfrogging the dogs because of how they've played
3. The Citadel - look like they might not be as strong this year
4. (Tie) Furman, Wofford, Western, Mercer - I'm calling this the AGS group.
8. VMI
9. ETSU

Predictions

WCU vs ETSU (Bristol, TN) - Cats continue to roll offensively and make further strides defensively
Chattanooga at Furman - SoCon Game of the week. Furman keeps it close but doesn't close it out
Tennessee Tech at Mercer - Mercer pulls away in the second half
The Citadel at Gardner-Webb - Lots and lots or rushing yards but the low country dogs are tougher
Johnson C. Smith at Wofford - Wofford quietly adds to the win SoCon OOC win total

CID1990
September 13th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Good gravy. Haven't cross checked these stats, but reports on our board are that the Citadel's 191 rushing yards on Saturday was their second lowest rushing total in three years. Charleston Southern held them to 189 a few years ago on 13 fewer attempts.

Citadel finished with 107 passing yards, and 30 of those came on a heave ho in the fourth quarter on a third and long to a well covered receiver who made a great grab. Citadel notched only 12 first downs, and 5 of those were on their first drive of the game. They wouldn't get another first down until midway through the third quarter.

Looking at those numbers makes that loss sting all the more. Paladins were in a position to win that football game, and just came up short. I imagine that may be the one game this year we wish we had back. If we could ever generate anything offensively this team might actually be pretty good.

None of those stats matter when you throw 3 INTs.

Our offense doesn't NEED to run over you

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2016, 09:41 AM
None of those stats matter when you throw 3 INTs.

Our offense doesn't NEED to run over you

The interceptions (at least the first two) were largely irrelevant to Citadel's scoring. First interception resulted in a punt. Second was on a turnover on downs. Furman had plenty of chances to score in spite of those turnovers given the fact Furman's defense kept getting the ball back to the offense.

The absolute backbreaker was the muffed punt. Gave the Citadel the ball on Furman's four yard line.

That is what is maddening about our offense and special teams. We don't need them to score 30. We need them to just not irreparably screw up, maybe break a play here or there, but at worst keep punting the other offense deep. The defense withstood those bad interceptions. They couldn't withstand handing the ball back to the Bulldogs on the 4 after forcing a punt.

Toby
September 13th, 2016, 11:01 AM
That's what I get for doing it in a hurry! My apologies!

5. WCU - bad loss to ECU not looking so bad after ECU's win against NC State

Fact check - mostly true. Prior to the 2016 season, Mercer was at a significant disadvantage in the number of scholarship players. I think (and hope) and expect we will see this turn around. The approx. 30 seniors on the team this year were not scholarship players when they were recruited, so just being close in 2014 and 2015 was a big deal. Whether fair or not, the expectations are rising for 2016. So a one point loss against the 15th ranked FCS team (Citadel) was disappointing, but Mercer did beat the 8 point spread by seven. The Bears also beat the spread by 7 against GT. So the jury is still out for Mercer. I hate to call "must win" games this early in the season, but.....

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Fact check - mostly true. Prior to the 2016 season, Mercer was at a significant disadvantage in the number of scholarship players. I think (and hope) and expect we will see this turn around. The approx. 30 seniors on the team this year were not scholarship players when they were recruited, so just being close in 2014 and 2015 was a big deal. Whether fair or not, the expectations are rising for 2016. So a one point loss against the 15th ranked FCS team (Citadel) was disappointing, but Mercer did beat the 8 point spread by seven. The Bears also beat the spread by 7 against GT. So the jury is still out for Mercer. I hate to call "must win" games this early in the season, but.....

With only one home game after this one until the first week of November, this would be an ideal game for the Bears to pull out a W.

BearDownMU
September 13th, 2016, 02:22 PM
1. El Cid - 2-0 in the conference. Don't know why more people don't have them here. 2 conference wins 2 weeks into the season gets you the top spot. Want #1? Go beat the Bellhops
2. UTC - Shut outs are shut outs. But Shorter and PC? Meh. We'll know more after Saturday.
3. Samford - Good OOC road win. Offense looks formidable.
4. Mercer - 1 point loss to the current leader. And I'm a homer. So suck it.
5. Furman - 5 point loss to the current leader, hence just behind the 1 point loss to the current leader team. Saturday will reveal quite a bit
6. Wofford - shut down TTU team that drilled Austin Peay. Just a gut ranking for me here. Prolly won't know until Oct 1.
7. WCU - No idea and prolly won't know until Oct. 1
8. VMI - Surprised they stuggled with Morehead. Will know more Oct 1.
9. ETSU - KSU win was shocking after 40 point loss last year and being a 26 point underdog. But this is their default spot until I see something in a conference game.

Hmmm. This was my first one of these ever. That was kinda fun. It also occurs to me that Oct. 1 is going to be a big fun weekend in the SoCon.

WCU vs ETSU (@ Bristol) - Cats roll in front of a zillion empty seats. Maybe a bunch of people will turn up thinking there's a race.
Chatt @ Furman - UPSET SPECIAL - The Furples bite, scratch, and claw their way to some kind of ugly win. Low scoring affair.
TTU @ Mercer - I'll never pick against the Bears. (See #4 above) Mercer wins. MAUL 'EM!
The Citadel @ Gardner-Webb - Bulldogs win by a bunch. The ones with the luggage.
Johnson C. Smith @ Wofford - Mr. Smith Goes To The Woodshed. RatDogs roll.

FUBeAR
September 13th, 2016, 02:42 PM
1. El Cid - 2-0 in the conference. Don't know why more people don't have them here. 2 conference wins 2 weeks into the season gets you the top spot. Want #1? Go beat the Bellhops
2. UTC - Shut outs are shut outs. But Shorter and PC? Meh. We'll know more after Saturday.
3. Samford - Good OOC road win. Offense looks formidable.
4. Mercer - 1 point loss to the current leader. And I'm a homer. So suck it.
5. Furman - 5 point loss to the current leader, hence just behind the 1 point loss to the current leader team. Saturday will reveal quite a bit
6. Wofford - shut down TTU team that drilled Austin Peay. Just a gut ranking for me here. Prolly won't know until Oct 1.
7. WCU - No idea and prolly won't know until Oct. 1
8. VMI - Surprised they struggled with Morehead. Will know more Oct 1.
9. ETSU - KSU win was shocking after 40 point loss last year and being a 26 point underdog. But this is their default spot until I see something in a conference game.

Hmmm. This was my first one of these ever. That was kinda fun. It also occurs to me that Oct. 1 is going to be a big fun weekend in the SoCon.

WCU vs ETSU (@ Bristol) - Cats roll in front of a zillion empty seats. Maybe a bunch of people will turn up thinking there's a race.
Chatt @ Furman - UPSET SPECIAL - The Paladins bite, scratch, and claw their way to some kind of ugly win. Low scoring affair.
TTU @ Mercer - I'll never pick against the Bears. (See #4 above) Mercer wins. MAUL 'EM!
The Citadel @ Gardner-Webb - Bulldogs win by a bunch. The ones with the luggage.
Johnson C. Smith @ Wofford - Mr. Smith Goes To The Woodshed. RatDogs roll.

What he said...(with one edit)

5-2 last week
Bears and Din's couldn't quite pull the upsets, but neither played poorly; so I'm OK - not happy, but OK...lotta SoCon ball still to be played
Almost nailed the Chatt/PC Score with that 38-0 call
Picking WCU to win big was a bit prescient. I think most called it close. They really didn't look as bad against EZU as everyone said, IMO
VMI in a close one was a big surprise...to everyone

10-5 for the SoCon season, so far. 0.667 straight up...that's OK...I think

The Cats
September 13th, 2016, 04:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0O_9pJtVE&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;a

Toby
September 13th, 2016, 07:15 PM
What he said...(with one edit)

So what's the edit. Unclear.

ElCid
September 13th, 2016, 07:22 PM
So what's the edit. Unclear.

He changed Furple to Paladins. Either way Purple make ME puke.

Toby
September 14th, 2016, 07:02 AM
He changed Furple to Paladins. Either way Purple make ME puke.

And I always thought Furple was a term of endearment.....

Big_Fan
September 14th, 2016, 08:44 AM
The whole "most improved team in the conference" is a bit confusing, as is the Moc mantra of southeastern superiority.

Captain Nepotism graduated, and he was the only reason the JSU games were close last season. He is gone. Unless the new QB runs a 4.4 and is good enough to play in the CFL (after getting NFL looks), I don't see how the improvement can be that substantial.

I will follow them with interest... but it wouldn't surprise me to see Furman win this game.

chattownmocs
September 14th, 2016, 09:07 AM
The whole "most improved team in the conference" is a bit confusing, as is the Moc mantra of southeastern superiority.

Captain Nepotism graduated, and he was the only reason the JSU games were close last season. He is gone. Unless the new QB runs a 4.4 and is good enough to play in the CFL (after getting NFL looks), I don't see how the improvement can be that substantial.

I will follow them with interest... but it wouldn't surprise me to see Furman win this game.

Jacob huesman played against jsu 3 times over the last 2 years and had 2 of the worst games of his career. The new qb has already played. Maybe you should it out. He's got the nation's best efficiency. He makes eli jenkins look like a scrub.

Catamount87
September 14th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Why don't we see what the new Moc QB can do against tough competition? Let's face it, it's not like he's seen much defensive skill in these first two games.

ETSUfan1
September 14th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Laugh it up about the ETSU v Western game. That's cool. I'm glad BMS is being so generous to ETSU. Not only are they allowing us to play a home game there instead of playing it in a high school stadium, but they are donating the game turf and lockers to ETSU after the game.

tenNesseeCat
September 14th, 2016, 12:44 PM
they are donating the game turf and lockers to ETSU after the game.

That's awesome!

Thumper 76
September 14th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Laugh it up about the ETSU v Western game. That's cool. I'm glad BMS is being so generous to ETSU. Not only are they allowing us to play a home game there instead of playing it in a high school stadium, but they are donating the game turf and lockers to ETSU after the game.

That's awesome

BearDownMU
September 14th, 2016, 01:41 PM

Yeah, that is pretty awesome.

Mocs123
September 14th, 2016, 02:45 PM

That is very cool - I didn't know that. It is definitely worth playing the game there for that.

It could be viewed as a neat experience by some and a joke by others. I can see the interest in it from ETSU (even before the turf/lockers) as you don't have your own stadium yet.

On the down side you guys could draw 40K which would be HUGE and the place would still look empty. We have that problem at Finley to a point - we can draw 11-12k and it doesn't look that full - the same with the Roundhouse in BB - we can draw 5k and it looks empty.

Of course I am on the boat that Chattanooga should be able to draw 15-20k every game.

Catamount87
September 14th, 2016, 03:25 PM
That is very cool - I didn't know that. It is definitely worth playing the game there for that.

It could be viewed as a neat experience by some and a joke by others. I can see the interest in it from ETSU (even before the turf/lockers) as you don't have your own stadium yet.

On the down side you guys could draw 40K which would be HUGE and the place would still look empty. We have that problem at Finley to a point - we can draw 11-12k and it doesn't look that full - the same with the Roundhouse in BB - we can draw 5k and it looks empty.

Of course I am on the boat that Chattanooga should be able to draw 15-20k every game.

It's crazy how y'all struggle to fill the seats. Last year y'all had 6 home games with an average attendance of 10,152 with mostly decent weather. By comparison, WCU had 5 home games with average attendance of 10,119 and two of those were with some really crappy, rainy weather.

I guess most folks in Chattanooga are dyed in the wool, orange wearing TN fans.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2016, 03:51 PM
It's crazy how y'all struggle to fill the seats. Last year y'all had 6 home games with an average attendance of 10,152 with mostly decent weather. By comparison, WCU had 5 home games with average attendance of 10,119 and two of those were with some really crappy, rainy weather.

I do have a theory. FCS football, with the advent of streaming, is much easier to follow than it used to be. I can sit back and pull up virtually every Furman game from my living room TV. It used to be that the only way to see Furman play was to catch them on SoCon Saturday or be sitting in a football stadium somewhere.

I would wager this has an effect on attendance most places.

That said, UTC's attendance is a little confusing. Furman would draw 12-13k fans a game when we were a top 5 team at a school with only 2,600 students.

chattanoogamocs
September 14th, 2016, 04:07 PM

I am definitely not laughing about it.

I read on your board about the turf and lockers. So are they donating all that, or just giving ETSU a good price on gently used materials? If it is truly a donation, that's awesome (the lockers aren't anything special, just standard metal cage design...but the field will save ETSU hundreds of thousands of dollars, just paying to move it and install it).

Honestly though, as a fan, I would rather watch the game at Science Hill. It would have been a sellout, the fans would be right up on top of the field, creating a real home field advantage (unlike playing $65(?) for the "best seats" which are about about 40-50 yards from the sidelines).

chattanoogamocs
September 14th, 2016, 04:18 PM

There aren't just Tennessee fans in Chattanooga...there are Georgia fans, Alabama fans, Auburn fans, Georgia Tech fans, Vanderbilt fans. It is what it is...we are a vibrant city that is an easy trip on the interstate to all those places.

The truth is, UTC probably never needed more than a 10,000-12,000 seats stadium (no one in the SoCon really does. There was very little call from more than 10,000 for the 80+ years they played at Chamberlain Field, I am not sure why they thought that would suddenly change (especially after moving off campus). But hey, Finley is a great stadium and the city is finally starting to build up around it.

Of course, some of the attendance this year is just timing and competition. Game 1: was on a Thursday night against arguably the worst team I have ever seen play at Finley (maybe Kentucky Wesleyan in 2001 was worse). If I wasn't such a proud alumni, I wouldn't have gone.

Saturday's game was moronic. The AD was attempting to avoid the Battle in Bristol and scheduled the game at 2pm...when it was sunny and 95 degrees. At was miserable. Add in another terrible opponent and it is not a surprise that they didn't break 10,000. I had my little boy with me and I spent first half sweltering, halftime and the 3rd quarter in a skybox trying to cool the kid down and I finally just left at the beginning of the 4th quarter (I don't think I have left a game early since the 80's).

I tell ya this...I wouldn't trade 8,000 people watching a top 10 team than 11-12,000 watching a .500 or below team (and trust me, I sat through every home game of the 1-11 season).

chattanoogamocs
September 14th, 2016, 04:25 PM
I do have a theory. FCS football, with the advent of streaming, is much easier to follow than it used to be. I can sit back and pull up virtually every Furman game from my living room TV. It used to be that the only way to see Furman play was to catch them on SoCon Saturday or be sitting in a football stadium somewhere.

I would wager this has an effect on attendance most places.

That said, UTC's attendance is a little confusing. Furman would draw 12-13k fans a game when we were a top 5 team at a school with only 2,600 students.

It is not really confusing, small prestigious private schools (that have traditionally had strong football programs) are always going to draw well through thick and thin because they have a very engaged alumni base. Also, you guys have been to title games and won National Championships. UTC has been to a total of 3 playoffs and have only made it to the quarterfinals. That is a big difference when it comes to long term support.

UTC is a public school that until about 15 years ago was heavily commuter. Add in almost 3 decades of mediocre at best, and gawd awful at worst, football and you have basically two generations of UTC graduates that have no real connection to the football program.

Chattanooga (the city) "loves a winner"...even with a team like Chattanooga Football Club (soccer), they had the best record in the country in the NPSL (82 teams) and averaged about 4,000 a game in the regular season...but once they got deep in the playoffs, that had two games with over 10K and 12K (and last year they had 18K when they hosted the finals). Chattanooga is a walk up town that loves to hop on the bandwagon. I have no doubt if UTC got a top 2 seed and got to host deep in the playoffs, their attendance would mushroom. But it ain't happenin' for Shorter.

Of course, I think it is a bit ironic that anyone would bag on UTC's attendance, it has been #1 or #2 the last 3 years in a row.

I do agree with Paladin Fan, streaming also has something to do with it, especially now that it's free. That was part of the reason UTC fought to keep streaming fee based, so at least they would make some money off the fans that were too lazy to go to the stadium. But at the time it came up for a vote, only UTC and GSU were against the free stream of all events and got outvoted.

Smitty
September 15th, 2016, 11:40 AM
The football trophy has been unveiled and it looks pretty cool.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_player/12095889.jpeg

Here is the NASCAR version of the trophy. It is pretty similar to that.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/d4/2d4e9a14-04df-11e6-8065-3362412d05d1/5713f9068e02f.image.jpg?resize=566%2C760

And of course it isn't as cool as the Virginia Tech and Tennessee game trophy...

http://www.wbir.com/img/resize/content.wbir.com/photo/2016/08/10/battle%20at%20bristol%20trophy_1470864044101_49770 09_ver1.0.jpg?preset=534-401

chattanoogamocs
September 15th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Anyone know if the "Bucs at Bristol" will be streamed? I didn't see a live stream link on ETSU's website (just audio and live stats).

ElCid
September 15th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Anyone know if the "Bucs at Bristol" will be streamed? I didn't see a live stream link on ETSU's website (just audio and live stats).

I looked every where and all I found was audio. Might have been part of the deal, that they had no video for the game.

ETSUfan1
September 15th, 2016, 01:38 PM
SoCon Digital Network

ElCid
September 15th, 2016, 02:25 PM
SoCon Digital Network

I looked on there and it is not on their schedule.

Toby
September 15th, 2016, 05:04 PM
I looked on there and it is not on their schedule.

This schedule says SDN

http://www.soconsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4000&SPID=1781&SPSID=21890

Toby
September 15th, 2016, 05:09 PM
This schedule says SDN

http://www.soconsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4000&SPID=1781&SPSID=21890

and here.
http://footballmatters.org/2016-nff-weekly-tv-schedule-for-ncaa-division-i-football-week-3/

ElCid
September 15th, 2016, 05:54 PM
I am going by the by the SOCON site itself here http://www.socondigitalnetwork.com/socon

It's not listed there. The first one listed above has the SDN but it is not highlighted like the others so I do not think it is. Piss poor on the SOCON if it actually is scheduled.

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2016, 11:59 AM
WESTERN CAROLINA
CHATTANOOGA
MERCER
THE CITADEL
WOFFORD

ETSUfan1
September 16th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Link http://www.socondigitalnetwork.com/socon/game/wcu-at-etsu-on-09172016

ElCid
September 16th, 2016, 02:12 PM
I am going by the by the SOCON site itself here http://www.socondigitalnetwork.com/socon

It's not listed there. The first one listed above has the SDN but it is not highlighted like the others so I do not think it is. Piss poor on the SOCON if it actually is scheduled.

OK, they have now updated it and included it in the schedule.

Sandlapper Spike
September 17th, 2016, 08:25 AM
It is definitely on the SoCon Digital Network, although it is apparently a co-production. The announcers will be the ETSU radio team; I think WCU's staff will handle the camerawork.

Smitty
September 17th, 2016, 12:36 PM
If WCUs staff is handling the camerawork get ready. Going to be a day full of missed shots and bad angles...

thirdgendin
September 17th, 2016, 12:48 PM
If WCUs staff is handling the camerawork get ready. Going to be a day full of missed shots and bad angles...

It's terrible. I stopped watching after two drives because it mostly showed the turf from a shaking hand-held camera and missed most pass attempts.

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2016, 01:40 PM
a little before the half, the Bucs are looking decent....They have some work to do, but they have something to work with. I think they will win a SoCon Game this year....just not this one.

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2016, 01:47 PM
aaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddd....then there is THAT!!!! 21-3, I still think the Bucs will win one this year.

citdog
September 17th, 2016, 02:04 PM
DAMN....this SoCon thread escalated quickly.....

ETSUfan1
September 17th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Western got greedy and the Bucs capitalized.

ElCid
September 17th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Bucs looking good, WCU looking lazy and they are paying for it.

ETSUfan1
September 17th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Bucs lead!

ElCid
September 17th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Wow, are the Bucs going to pull a Mercer on the SOCON?

moc n tn1991
September 17th, 2016, 03:14 PM
I am totally shocked. Either ETSU has improved tremendously, or WCU is choking. WOW.

chattownmocs
September 17th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Wow, are the Bucs going to pull a Mercer on the SOCON?

3-12? Doesn't look like it.

Smitty
September 17th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I am totally shocked. Either ETSU has improved tremendously, or WCU is choking. WOW.

The latter...

ElCid
September 17th, 2016, 03:30 PM
3-12? Doesn't look like it.

Well, the Bears did beat y'all last year. I am talking about pulling the upsets. ETSU looks capable of it. Playing well, looking composed. Not making silly errors. They appear to be closing the gap pretty fast.

chattownmocs
September 17th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Well, the Bears did beat y'all last year. I am talking about pulling the upsets. ETSU looks capable of it. Playing well, looking composed. Not making silly errors. They appear to be closing the gap pretty fast.

Yeah ETSU looks better than Mercer right now.

ElCid
September 17th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Looks like ETSU may very well upset WCU in their return game. ETSU is driving with the lead.

ETSUfan1
September 17th, 2016, 03:41 PM
We stuffed it down their throat repeatedly in the second half. How was that choking?

Smitty
September 17th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Yeah this is just pathetic. We may be able to upset some teams this year but it looks like we are going back to the cellar...

- - - Updated - - -

We stuffed it down their throat repeatedly in the second half. How was that choking?

Could be that we were leading 21 to 3. Usually when a team gives up that much of a lead it is considered choking...

ETSUfan1
September 17th, 2016, 03:45 PM
And you couldn't stop multiple drives. It wasn't long fluke bombs. It was long drives.

Smitty
September 17th, 2016, 03:46 PM
And you couldn't stop multiple drives. It wasn't long fluke bombs. It was long drives.

Yup once again the defense and offense choked... Not sure what you don't get here

ETSUfan1
September 17th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Ok whatever lol

ETSUfan1
September 17th, 2016, 03:52 PM
2-0!

Smitty
September 17th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Ok whatever lol

Really? Let me pull a definition for you.

In sports, a choke is the failure of an athlete or an athletic team to win a game or tournament when the player or team had been strongly favored to win or had squandered a large lead in the late stages of the event.

Letting you guys score 21 (or 24) unanswered points was our defense choking. Although to be honest it is one of the worst defenses in the league this year so we have that going for us.

ETSUfan1
September 17th, 2016, 03:58 PM
2-0

citdog
September 17th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Welcome back ETSU! That was some sandbagging job Torbush did last season...

ETSUfan1
September 17th, 2016, 04:06 PM
This win is really special for ETSU fans. We had nothing to cheer for basically 13 years. This is an amazing win for our program. We may not win another game this year, but I'm so proud to be a Buc today.

CID1990
September 17th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Damn who wants to play WCU next week

citdog
September 17th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Damn who wants to play WCU next week

http://riversbridgecamp842.com/images/HB_Reunion.gif

Mocs123
September 17th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Congrats to ESTU - I didn't see the wins over Kennesaw State or Western Carolina, both of which I think are pretty good football teams (especially WCU)

Is ETSU really back this quickly or were the WCU fans correct when they said the sky was falling after week one?

The WCU QB looks for real though.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Good job Mercer picking up the OOC win for the SoCon.

ElCid
September 17th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Chatty pitching the shutout still. Pretty impressive.

MUfan
September 17th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Good job Mercer picking up the OOC win for the SoCon.
Had to overcome worst call by a ref ever.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2016, 08:32 PM
The Citadel edges out Gardner Webb

ElCid
September 17th, 2016, 08:52 PM
The Citadel edges out Gardner Webb

I don't think I have yelled at the TV/computer as much as I did tonight. We had horrible play calling on a couple drives. Also, we should have scored at least 1 or 2 more times, but penalties did us in at the wrong times. Our D let them march 90 yards late to score and we had to once again pull a fourth quarter drive to win late in the 4th. Our D redeem itself late in holding them after the score. We did double our rushing output in this one game.

citdog
September 17th, 2016, 08:58 PM
I don't think I have yelled at the TV/computer as much as I did tonight. We had horrible play calling on a couple drives. Also, we should have scored at least 1 or 2 more times, but penalties did us in at the wrong times. Our D let them march 90 yards late to score and we had to once again pull a fourth quarter drive to win late in the 4th. Our D redeem itself late in holding them after the score. We did double our rushing output in this one game.

3-0, 2-0 SoCon and 2-0 on the road is all that matters!

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2016, 09:00 PM
TD Furman.

21-14 Mocs with a minute left in the game. Onside upcoming.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2016, 09:02 PM
UTC recovers.

Proud of the way the guys played. UTC offense bottled up pretty much all night. Couple plays here and there. Offense got some life late, but could have used a little more earlier in the game.

longtimemocfan
September 17th, 2016, 09:03 PM
TD Furman.

21-14 Mocs with a minute left in the game. Onside upcoming.

Victory formation game over.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2016, 09:08 PM
IMO - Hannon should have started.

The way our secondary played in the second half probably has an explosive Samford team salivating.

longtimemocfan
September 17th, 2016, 09:13 PM

We're they OVC officials ? Just wondering.

SU DOG
September 17th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Announcers said SoCon - unbelievably ridiculous call.

Sandlapper Spike
September 17th, 2016, 09:16 PM

There is no such thing as an unbelievably ridiculous call when a SoCon official is involved...

Toby
September 17th, 2016, 09:18 PM

You understate how bad that call was. Ref should not be calling Pee Wee Footballl. Just embarrassing for the SoCon.

PaladinFan
IMO - Hannon should have started.

The way our secondary played in the second half probably has an explosive Samford team salivating.

Furman struggles to match QB to what they want to do offensively. Better at that this year. You may have noticed, but we did a completely different offensive look when Hannon came in (last year's spread). I just feel if he's going to play, Furman needs to air it out, which is not what they want to do. Furman wants to run it, and Blazejowski is the better man for that job as he is an elusive runner.

Certainly saw a lot of the future out there. Furman started a true freshman at safety. Last drive both OTs were true freshman. Thomas Gordon had a whale of a game as a freshman.

citdog
There is no such thing as an unbelievably ridiculous call when a SoCon official is involved...

No ****

Toby
September 17th, 2016, 09:20 PM

The refs were either 1) tripping out on an overdose, 2) having a seizure and blackout or 3) have the competency of a 5 year old.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2016, 09:23 PM
We're they OVC officials ? Just wondering.
No ****ing kidding.

OVC refs are trash.

That said, what was the call that was so agregious? I didn't watch the game.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Hannon is one of those guys who seems like they have been there for 10 years. The same could be said for Rider who is a dang good linebacker.

Our special teams play is still sub par - we should be better and hopefully we get there.

citdog
September 17th, 2016, 09:29 PM
Furman struggles to match QB to what they want to do offensively. Better at that this year. You may have noticed, but we did a completely different offensive look when Hannon came in (last year's spread). I just feel if he's going to play, Furman needs to air it out, which is not what they want to do. Furman wants to run it, and Blazejowski is the better man for that job as he is an elusive runner.

Certainly saw a lot of the future out there. Furman started a true freshman at safety. Last drive both OTs were true freshman. Thomas Gordon had a whale of a game as a freshman.

Y'all are going to have to fire Fowler. That same bs you posted above is what y'all have been saying since the Fargo Dome. "We are young."

furman sucks

3 in a row

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Hannon is one of those guys who seems like they have been there for 10 years. The same could be said for Rider who is a dang good linebacker.

Our special teams play is still sub par - we should be better and hopefully we get there.

They have, sort of. Both were awarded a medical redshirt and have started since they were freshmen. Lot of snaps for those two.

MUfan
September 17th, 2016, 09:41 PM
No ****ing kidding.

OVC refs are trash.

That said, what was the call that was so agregious? I didn't watch the game.

Mercer had an obvious incomplete pass on about their 7 yard line that ref called a fumble. Returned by TT for a TD. Receiver NEVER had it.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Y'all are going to have to fire Fowler. That same bs you posted above is what y'all have been saying since the Fargo Dome. "We are young."

furman sucks

3 in a row

No question. I'm less ready to throw this at Fowler's feet. He's a defensive guy and the defense, by all accounts, has played really well.

Most Furman fans point to Tim Sorrells, the OC. He's been an assistant at Furman for probably 30 years. Hard to ignore that our offense cannot move the ball and score against just about anyone. This has been an increasing issue essentially since Jerome Felton and Ingle Martin graduated.

ElCid
September 17th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Mercer had an obvious incomplete pass on about their 7 yard line that ref called a fumble. Returned by TT for a TD. Receiver NEVER had it.

When? Time? Quarter?

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Did they make up a penalty against JSU?

If not they weren't OVC refs.

Toby
September 17th, 2016, 09:47 PM

it was not a judgement call. Ball hit the hip of the receiver and falls to the ground. Never in his hands.

MUfan
September 17th, 2016, 09:51 PM
When? Time? Quarter?
Early in 3rd quarter I think.

chattanoogamocs
September 17th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Western Carolina 31
East Tennessee State 34(A: 13,863)
SoCon Scores

Western Carolina 31
East Tennessee State 34
(A: 13,863)

Johnson C Smith 0
Wofford 59
(A: 5,417)

Tenn Tech 27
Mercer 34
(A: 9,772)

The Citadel 31
Gardner-Webb 24

Chattanooga 21
Furman 14
(A: 5,347)

chattanoogamocs
September 17th, 2016, 09:59 PM
0-0 P5 FBS
0-0 G5 FBS
2-0 FCS
1-0 Non DI

Overall:

0-3 P5 FBS
0-2 G5 FBS
8-0 FCS
3-0 Non DI

chattanoogamocs
September 18th, 2016, 03:51 AM
1. East Tennessee State 13,863
vs Western Carolina (at Bristol) 13,863

2. The Citadel 12,009
Furman 12,009

3. Western Carolina 11,598
Gardner-Webb 11,598

4. Mercer 11,157
The Citadel 12,542
Tenn Tech 9,772

5. Chattanooga 8,979
Shorter 9,588
Presbyterian 8,370

6. Wofford 5,417
Johnson C Smith 5,417

7. Furman
Chattanooga 5,347

8. Samford 4,482
Mars Hill 4,482

9. VMI

CID1990
September 18th, 2016, 08:26 AM

If it didn't cost them the game then as ridiculous as it was it wasn't the worst call ever.

The Citadel owns a whole portfolio of those - that certainly cost us the game in one case, and likely did in several others.

SoCon refs are awful and the conference just gets defensive about it when the subject comes up

FUBeAR
September 18th, 2016, 09:32 AM
When? Time? Quarter?

3rd Quarter

2nd and 5 at MER06
John Russ pass "complete" (LOL) to Sam Walker for no gain to the MER6, "fumble" (LOL) by Sam Walker "recovered" (LOL) by TTU Poplar, Josh at MER8, Poplar, Josh for 8 yards to the MER0, "TOUCHDOWN" (LOL), clock 00:18.

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2869462/size/condensed/

2:11:50

...and it was the worst call EVER!

Call made by: LINE JUDGE - Terry Mock
...and supported, after Official's on-field conference, by: REFEREE - Larry Adcock

FUBeAR
September 18th, 2016, 09:46 AM
If it didn't cost them the game then as ridiculous as it was it wasn't the worst call ever.

The Citadel owns a whole portfolio of those - that certainly cost us the game in one case, and likely did in several others.

SoCon refs are awful and the conference just gets defensive about it when the subject comes up

The call GAVE Tennessee Tech a TD late in the game which GAVE them the lead. If not for the Bear's Defense RisingUP and the ability of Mercer's offense to capitalize on that, the call would have cost Mercer the game.

This wasn't a close call of whether or not the ball crossed the plane under a pile of 22 people. The play happened out in the open directly in front of Mr. Mock and he was the ONLY person in the stadium who thought that was a completed pass. The TTU player was just doing the "see ball on ground near end zone...pick it up and jog it in...just in case I can influence an Official to make a completely absurd call" thing. Well-played Mr. Poplar. Well played...

CID1990
September 18th, 2016, 09:48 AM
The call GAVE Tennessee Tech a TD late in the game which GAVE them the lead. If not for the Bear's Defense RisingUP and the ability of Mercer's offense to capitalize on that, the call would have cost Mercer the game.

This wasn't a close call of whether or not the ball crossed the plane under a pile of 22 people. The play happened out in the open directly in front of Mr. Mock and he was the ONLY person in the stadium who thought that was a completed pass. The TTU player was just doing the "see ball on ground near end zone...pick it up and jog it in...just in case I can influence an Official to make a completely absurd call" thing. Well-played Mr. Poplar. Well played...

Yeah but you won the game- wait until SoCon refs actually cost you a game and this call will fall in your ranking of bad calls

And it will happen

MUfan
September 18th, 2016, 09:51 AM
I had misremembered that it was at the end of the 3rd, but it still is the worst call ever.
Glad the Bears were able to overcome it.

FUBeAR
September 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Yeah but you won the game- wait until SoCon refs actually cost you a game and this call will fall in your ranking of bad calls

And it will happen

hmmmm....I'm not sure Mercer Fans actually have to WAIT for such an occurrence. Close games can also be lost on multiple, less-obvious called and/or uncalled penalties occurring throughout the game.

BearDownMU
September 18th, 2016, 10:43 AM

And it will happen

No need to wait...

[See WEEK #1]

ElCid
September 18th, 2016, 03:14 PM
No need to wait...

[See WEEK #1]

You do know that blaming the refs is the last refuge of scoundrels don't you? xlolx I actually did not see any blatantly bad calls in our game with you all. When you have a subjective call, it can always be close. Nice to argue but ultimately silly.

HOWEVER, I looked at your game replay and you absolutely have a perfect example of one that was called wrong, no questions asked. Not even close. Forward pass, incomplete.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 05:29 AM
3rd Quarter

2nd and 5 at MER06
John Russ pass "complete" (LOL) to Sam Walker for no gain to the MER6, "fumble" (LOL) by Sam Walker "recovered" (LOL) by TTU Poplar, Josh at MER8, Poplar, Josh for 8 yards to the MER0, "TOUCHDOWN" (LOL), clock 00:18.

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2869462/size/condensed/

2:11:50

...and it was the worst call EVER!

Call made by: LINE JUDGE - Terry Mock
...and supported, after Official's on-field conference, by: REFEREE - Larry Adcock

WQWCEITEHOCF (Without question, worst call ever in the entire history of college football)

https://twitter.com/Heres_Wilson/status/777535539964633088

Toby
September 19th, 2016, 08:00 AM
You do know that blaming the refs is the last refuge of scoundrels don't you? xlolx I actually did not see any blatantly bad calls in our game with you all. When you have a subjective call, it can always be close. Nice to argue but ultimately silly.

HOWEVER, I looked at your game replay and you absolutely have a perfect example of one that was called wrong, no questions asked. Not even close. Forward pass, incomplete.

I always wanted to be a scoundrel. That or maybe a pirate. SoCon refs suck! Pull a couple of dads (or moms) from the Pee Wee game. They would call a better game. Just embarrassing for the SoCon.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 08:54 AM
If I'm Mercer's coach (of course, I'm not), I reiterate the point that the ball is not dead until the referees say the play is dead.

Only one guy on the field actually seemed to notice that a ref didn't blow the whistle. My coach would've had me running wind sprints after practice for not finishing out the play.

Horrible call, no question. Still have to play to the whistle.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 09:07 AM
If I'm Mercer's coach (of course, I'm not), I reiterate the point that the ball is not dead until the referees say the play is dead.

Only one guy on the field actually seemed to notice that a ref didn't blow the whistle. My coach would've had me running wind sprints after practice for not finishing out the play.

Watch the OnDemand ESPN3 Broadcast & turn your speakers up...you can hear the whistle. If you can't, I can tell you that at least 1 of the refs blew the play dead. I was about 10' from the play on the endline - same view as this camera angle. The Referee can, I'm sure, confirm my presence there during that play and for the rest of the game...or you can just look at the blisters on his ears.

BearDownMU
September 19th, 2016, 09:15 AM

This sounds good and everything. I certainly want people going full speed until the whistle.

But it's really hard to overcome what your eyes see. If I'm an RB or QB or whatever and I see that, I'm turning around and heading to the huddle. No one on the planet would see that at full speed and expect it to be ruled catch and fumble. Except Mr. Mock, apparently.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 09:38 AM
This sounds good and everything. I certainly want people going full speed until the whistle.

But it's really hard to overcome what your eyes see. If I'm an RB or QB or whatever and I see that, I'm turning around and heading to the huddle. No one on the planet would see that at full speed and expect it to be ruled catch and fumble. Except Mr. Mock, apparently.

I'm not saying I would have gone after him. I just had a coach that would make you run just to prove a point :)

Bad calls happen. I still sit in disbelief of 270 foot infield fly call in the Braves post-season game against the Cardinals 4 or 5 years ago. If it can happen there, it can happen anywhere.

A fond memory I have was from a Furman/App game years ago. There was a pass interference (or lack of one) that went against Furman. My fraternity brother got up on the brick wall separating the stands from the field and followed the referree all the way down the field and back screaming at him. Walked 80 yards downfield on the brick wall screaming at a single referee. I loved the commitment to the cause.

This is not uncharacteristic for SoCon officiating.

SU DOG
September 19th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I would have to say that THIS call is uncharacteristic for even the SoCon refs. Notice that the receiver didn't even try to make a recovery because he knew that he had not caught the ball. The announcers called for a review, but of course the SoCon will probably be the last to have that feature, as I have heard that the OVC will soon have their own. I firmly believe that this is the worst judgement call I personally have EVER seen.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I would have to say that THIS call is uncharacteristic for even the SoCon refs. Notice that the receiver didn't even try to make a recovery because he knew that he had not caught the ball. The announcers called for a review, but of course the SoCon will probably be the last to have that feature, as I have heard that the OVC will soon have their own. I firmly believe that this is the worst judgement call I personally have EVER seen.

Not me. This play takes the cake in any sport by a country mile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-6ujbLknUc

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 12:41 PM

You mean you couldn't find any Olympic Badminton calls to top the Mercer/TTU call?
I'm sure Pakistan has been screwed over worse at least once with the Indian team using illegal feathers on their birdies.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 12:44 PM
You mean you couldn't find any Olympic Badminton calls to top the Mercer/TTU call?
I'm sure Pakistan has been screwed over worse at least once with the Indian team using illegal feathers on their birdies.

I mean, we are talking about the worst judgment calls. That's about as bad as I have ever seen.

It may be an instance where SoCon starts moving their way to instant replay. There were a couple of bad calls in the Furman/UTC game as well. Not game altering stuff, but pretty clearly wrong.

Toby
September 19th, 2016, 12:50 PM

So now the debate is whether it was the worst call ever in all of sports or just the worst call ever in college football? Well OK.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 01:27 PM
So now the debate is whether it was the worst call ever in all of sports or just the worst call ever in college football? Well OK.

Samford guy said it was the worst judgment call he'd ever seen. I can think of some bad judgment calls, sports and not sports related. I just noted that I have seen a worse judgment call in sports.

Besides, Mercer got hosed by the officials. Get used to it. Everyone gets hosed by the officials. You play in this league long enough and you will pull your hair out over some of the calls that go against your team.

It was a bad call, but it won't be the last one you will see like that. I can already think of several comparable instances without really trying.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I can already think of several comparable instances without really trying.

Video? (or it didn't happen)

BearDownMU
September 19th, 2016, 02:27 PM

So, side story. The umpire that made that call is named Sam Holbrook. I am from Atlanta, and a lifelong Atlanta sports fan. I also played baseball at Mercer.

Two years ago, I arrived at a golf tournament and, on the first tee, realized I was paired with.... Sam Holbrook.

Let's just say it was... icy to start the round. Lol

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 02:32 PM
So, side story. The umpire that made that call is named Sam Holbrook. I am from Atlanta, and a lifelong Atlanta sports fan. I also played baseball at Mercer.

Two years ago, I arrived at a golf tournament and, on the first tee, realized I was paired with.... Sam Holbrook.

Let's just say it was... icy to start the round. Lol

I could give my mind to Sam Holbrook, Kent Hrbeck, and Eric Gregg. Dan Uggla and BJ Upton, too.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Video? (or it didn't happen)

The one that jumps to mind is 2005 Furman at Georgia Southern. Jayson Foster plunged in a touchdown, pulled the ball back, and then fumbled. Furman recovered in the endzone.

Don't have video, as I guess in those days the video was SoCon Saturday. Everyone watching on TV could see that he broke the plane and then fumbled. I could even see that from the stands. The refs, apparently, did not.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 02:49 PM
The one that jumps to mind is 2005 Furman at Georgia Southern. Jayson Foster plunged in a touchdown, pulled the ball back, and then fumbled. Furman recovered in the endzone.

Don't have video, as I guess in those days the video was SoCon Saturday. Everyone watching on TV could see that he broke the plane and then fumbled. I could even see that from the stands. The refs, apparently, did not.

Find it in this full game video and you can "win" this convo...maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm2m9YG1cxg

ElCid
September 19th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I watched the play at least 5 times including all the replays that they showed while discussing it. Beside the cameraman being asleep on the job, I still don't understand what they saw. The replay from the end zone was a bit better and clearly showed that the Mercer receiver never came close to having it. What I think happened is that once they made the bad call, they had to come up with an explanation to fit what they called. I think the Line judge thought it was a lateral, or might have been, but when that didn't seem to make sense, it became a catch and fumble. Just thinking out loud.

But to get to the crux of the matter, it is part of the game so get over it. You won. We have actually had games lost as a result of bad calls. Wofford in 2014 comes to mind when we clearly had the game winning TD on the last play, with lots of pictures to show it.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Find it in this full game video and you can "win" this convo...maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm2m9YG1cxg

Man, that brought back memories. Actually, so did Mercer's game against TTU. TTU's QB looked like a poor man's Ingle Martin at times with his size, speed, and arm.

Good find, though. Play is at 1:10:30 with replay at 1:11:49. All I can say is I was there and I was pretty durn sure he was in. So did 18,000 Eagle fans.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 03:29 PM
I watched the play at least 5 times including all the replays that they showed while discussing it. Beside the cameraman being asleep on the job, I still don't understand what they saw. The replay from the end zone was a bit better and clearly showed that the Mercer receiver never came close to having it. What I think happened is that once they made the bad call, they had to come up with an explanation to fit what they called. I think the Line judge thought it was a lateral, or might have been, but when that didn't seem to make sense, it became a catch and fumble. Just thinking out loud.

But to get to the crux of the matter, it is part of the game so get over it. You won. We have actually had games lost as a result of bad calls. Wofford in 2014 comes to mind when we clearly had the game winning TD on the last play, with lots of pictures to show it.

Talked my buddy the ref and showed him the play.

He thinks that the linesman was shielded from the ball because the throw was behind the receiver. The Mercer TE turns sideways and the linesman could not see what happened with the football.

He also noted that the linesmen has responsibilities down the line in front of him, has to watch the receiver, but also has to keep an eye on what the QB is doing. There's a lot going on and he doesn't have a clear view of what happened to the football. It is particularly tough, I understand, when teams run the option/pass type plays as teams like Mercer and Auburn will do, where the QB starts running an option but passes it down the line. Hard to keep an eye on what everyone is doing.

He let the play go forward, but none of the other officials came in and overruled him. You can tell in the video he's not sure if the call is correct. From what I understand, he's a pretty respected official. Your career is longer calling a pass like that incomplete, though.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 03:34 PM

"Get over it"...like you have...LOL....and, as I said to my good freen, PaladinFan...

Video...or it didn't happen (BTW - Unless you have NEW video, I've seen all of those videos from 2014...and there was nothing CLEAR about it (unless you're looking thru baby blue lenses)...It was a tough call to make with 22 bodies piled up and I still haven't seen a CLEAR video from an indisputable angle that would overturn that call. (And I don't really care which Dog won or lost that game - suits me if both lost it). But, like the Warren Commission, I'm always open to new video evidence for my impartial review.

walliver
September 19th, 2016, 03:38 PM

There was always this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZuPi4cbyg

Although that was really just cheating, not a blown call.

ElCid
September 19th, 2016, 03:42 PM
"Get over it"...like you have...LOL....and, as I said to my good freen, PaladinFan...

Video...or it didn't happen (BTW - Unless you have NEW video, I've seen all of those videos from 2014...and there was nothing CLEAR about it (unless you're looking thru baby blue lenses)...It was a tough call to make with 22 bodies piled up and I still haven't seen a CLEAR video from an indisputable angle that would overturn that call. (And I don't really care which Dog won or lost that game - suits me if both lost it). But, like the Warren Commission, I'm always open to new video evidence for my impartial review.

I think we needed to have a commission set up to review it still. Maybe there was a satellite image that we could have gotten from the NSA as well. I am sure there might have been one flying over at the time given the enormity of the game. In any event, you can clearly see his knee was not down as he fell across the line.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23568&stc=1

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Talked my buddy the ref and showed him the play.

He thinks that the linesman was shielded from the ball because the throw was behind the receiver. The Mercer TE turns sideways and the linesman could not see what happened with the football.

He also noted that the linesmen has responsibilities down the line in front of him, has to watch the receiver, but also has to keep an eye on what the QB is doing. There's a lot going on and he doesn't have a clear view of what happened to the football. It is particularly tough, I understand, when teams run the option/pass type plays as teams like Mercer and Auburn will do, where the QB starts running an option but passes it down the line. Hard to keep an eye on what everyone is doing.

He let the play go forward, but none of the other officials came in and overruled him. You can tell in the video he's not sure if the call is correct. From what I understand, he's ONCE MAY HAVE BEEN a pretty respected official. Your career is longer calling a pass like that incomplete, though.

FIFY

...and, if he didn't see it clearly, he had the opportunity to say that in their Pre-XP/Post-Video-being-shown-in-Stadium "Conference." Do you really think IF an Official goes into that "conference" and says, "Hey guys, I really didn't see that. Anybody else have a better view of it?" AFTER THEY'VE ALL NOW SEEN IT ON THE VIDEO (which was the reason they called their "conference"....that one of those guys isn't going to say..."Yeah man, that was incomplete. Let's reverse it." I KNOW they would have because 2 of the Mercer's Offensive Players told me that other Officials (not the Ref or the LJ) told them DURING the game that they (the crew; not them as individuals) blew it and were glad it didn't change the outcome of the game. Nope - the LJ went into that conference and said he made the right call and the Referee didn't have the fortitude to tell his Crew Member to blow it out his hindquarters; 10,000 people just saw the call was wrong; we're overruling it.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I think we needed to have a commission set up to review it still. Maybe there was a satellite image that we could have gotten from the NSA as well. I am sure there might have been one flying over at the time given the enormity of the game. In any event, you can clearly see his knee was not down as he fell across the line.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23568&stc=1

Yep - can clearly see knee is not down in this STILL photo...but I can't see from this angle if the ball is across the plane...so, NOT indisputable video evidence. I'd get that NSA video/image. PaladinFan probably knows someone who works there.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Man, that brought back memories. Actually, so did Mercer's game against TTU. TTU's QB looked like a poor man's Ingle Martin at times with his size, speed, and arm.

Good find, though. Play is at 1:10:30 with replay at 1:11:49. All I can say is I was there and I was pretty durn sure he was in. So did 18,000 Eagle fans.

Sorry...no WINNER, WINNER Chicken Dinner for you. Can't tell, INDISPUTABLY, from the video if the call was right or wrong...and the net result was the GaSou's lead was not extended....didn't provide a change in the lead. Keep looking...indisputable video evidence BETTER than the Mercer/TTU and an equally significant call - changing the lead OR even better, changing the outcome.

ElCid
September 19th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Review of the games this past week.

http://thefcswedge.com/socon/socon-week-3-review-and-power-rankings/

ElCid
September 19th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Yep - can clearly see knee is not down in this STILL photo...but I can't see from this angle if the ball is across the plane...so, NOT indisputable video evidence. I'd get that NSA video/image. PaladinFan probably knows someone who works there.

I actually do know some guys who work there and they already said they can neither confirm or deny that an over-flight took place during the game. But the video showed after the play that he landed over the line once down. The point of contention was whether his knee was down prior. It wasn't. It will simply be one of those great mysteries of life I suppose.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Sorry...no WINNER, WINNER Chicken Dinner for you. Can't tell, INDISPUTABLY, from the video if the call was right or wrong...and the net result was the GaSou's lead was not extended....didn't provide a change in the lead. Keep looking...indisputable video evidence BETTER than the Mercer/TTU and an equally significant call - changing the lead OR even better, changing the outcome.

You mean I don't get any points for my memory of a play 11 years ago? (I shudder to think at how much Furman football I have watched)

You get the benefit of a video camera in perfect position to view the play. No such luck in 2005. You get the angle you get. :)

Toby
September 19th, 2016, 10:08 PM
There was always this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZuPi4cbyg

Although that was really just cheating, not a blown call.

Or you could call it an international Cold War incident.

walliver
September 22nd, 2016, 07:40 PM

The refs for the Clemson-FT game made an extremely similar call - but they have replay.