PDA

View Full Version : Hauck, Bohl on Short List For Gopher Job??

Cap'n Cat
January 1st, 2007, 02:16 PM
Heard it today on KFAN in Minneapolis! They're trying to get permission to talk to both guys.

Me, I like Bohl. Hauck is a doofus.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

http://www.teamblanketstore.com/college/minnesota.gif

!!!!!!

GRZZ
January 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Hahaha. Why do people think Hauck is a doofus? Stubborn, yes but the homer in me says he's not a doofus. Are people still upset about his title game comments about wanting to move on someday?

At any rate, I don't think he should be considered for this job. It is outside of any recruiting area he has dealt with in his career. And every time he is rumored for one of these jobs it gives false hope to most of us Griz fans that Rob Phenice might go with him.

NDSUFREAK
January 1st, 2007, 03:05 PM
For more of this talk go to the BISON Boards (http://www400.pair.com/bisonvil/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=news) under football!

Cap'n Cat
January 1st, 2007, 03:12 PM
Listening further, the guys on P.A. and Dubay show are leaning to Bohl, but like Hauck. They like his "edge", something in a Minnesota coach there has never been.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Rumor, too, that UNI HC Mark Farley was contacted and is not interested.

Denver Johnson, anyone????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

GRZZ
January 1st, 2007, 03:51 PM
I would have to think that Bohl is the favorite from our division. He could easliy recruit the area. Is there an archived link to this show you are listening to?

Cap'n Cat
January 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM
I would have to think that Bohl is the favorite from our division. He could easliy recruit the area. Is there an archived link to this show you are listening to?

Go to KFAN.com

Hauck is not a serious contender, it's said here, in that the Minnesota officials do not think he can adjust going from a one-team conference with little competition to a conference slate that includes some actual good teams. The guys on the show said that he needs to spend some time in the MAC, WAC, Gateway, SoCon or Big West before stepping on a truly competitive stage.

Again, don't kill the messenger.

bisonguy
January 1st, 2007, 06:47 PM
It's a couple months old, but still a good read-
Bohl OK being king of Fargo (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=142509)

“Coaches move because they’re frustrated where they are or they move because they feel like they have to make a move. I’m not in either of those situations,” Bohl said. “And people often look at these things and say, ‘Money has to be a big driving factor because there is so much money out there.’ Honestly, that’s not a real priority for me at this stage.”

There is also this: Bohl says the single most important factor for a college football coach is his relationship with the AD. He says in the next sentence that he gets along swimmingly with his AD, Gene Taylor.

IMO- Bohl does not want to touch the hornet's nest that is Minnesota athletics.

January 1st, 2007, 09:38 PM
...Denver Johnson, anyone????Johnson just got a big contract at ILS, I don't think he'll be looking at the Goofers (who knew they had a team until they tried to play NDSU?).

Gil Dobie
January 1st, 2007, 09:42 PM
Solich has also been mentioned. By the way, Solich runs the same offense and his former DC Bohl. Solich hired Bohls assistants away when hired at Miami OH. IMO Bohl is more dynamic and could succeed in Minny.

AZGrizFan
January 1st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Go to KFAN.com

Hauck is not a serious contender, it's said here, in that the Minnesota officials do not think he can adjust going from a one-team conference with little competition to a conference slate that includes some actual good teams. The guys on the show said that he needs to spend some time in the MAC, WAC, Gateway, SoCon or Big West before stepping on a truly competitive stage.

Is that you, Hen? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GOKATS
January 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM
Go to KFAN.com

Other than your obvious slams at the Big Sky, I agree.

Cleets
January 2nd, 2007, 02:42 AM

Ouch!
:asswhip:

DaveK
January 2nd, 2007, 02:51 AM
I like the Gophers, and I hope they hire anybody but Bohl. He just isn't the kind of guy I could bring myself to cheer for.

GRZZ
January 2nd, 2007, 03:31 AM
Go to KFAN.com

Cap'n, by your bolded words I take it that you don't think the playoffs have been very competitive the last four years?

Gil Dobie
January 2nd, 2007, 05:52 AM
I like the Gophers, and I hope they hire anybody but Bohl. He just isn't the kind of guy I could bring myself to cheer for.

Bohl personally or because he is an NDSU coach? :rolleyes:

Go Bison
January 2nd, 2007, 09:38 AM

Maybe they should hire Coach Lennon? Then you could cheer for them.

spelunker64
January 2nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
Bohl is an awful coach, why would anyone want to hire him. He would ruin Gopher land.

bison95
January 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Go to KFAN.com

I just peed myself:hurray: :nod: xlolx xlolx xlolx

GRZZ
January 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
What was NDSUs strength of schedule compared to the Griz? I really don't know what it is, and I am curious. I just am having a tough time beleiving that NDSU is playing so much more amazing competition than Montana.

DaveK
January 2nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
Bohl personally or because he is an NDSU coach? :rolleyes:

Bohl personally. He comes across as a rather pompous a$$. Not quite as bad as Rocky Hager, but close. Bob Babich I did not have a problem with personally. He coached the team that I hate, but there was nothing about him personally that I found unlikable. Hager and Bohl both are egotistical a-holes in my opinion.

Husky Alum
January 2nd, 2007, 05:02 PM
Bohl personally. He comes across as a rather pompous a$$. Not quite as bad as Rocky Hager, but close. Bob Babich I did not have a problem with personally. He coached the team that I hate, but there was nothing about him personally that I found unlikable. Hager and Bohl both are egotistical a-holes in my opinion.

Rocky Hager, a pompous a$$?

This is NOT the Rocky Hager I know real well at Northeastern. He's one of the more humble coaches we have.

Wow, you guys in Grand Forks must have some delusional sense of reality up there.

Must be all of the indian heads and Nazi money on your campus.

I think that qualifies this thread for the smack board.

DaveK
January 2nd, 2007, 05:38 PM
Rocky Hager, a pompous a$$?

This is NOT the Rocky Hager I know real well at Northeastern. He's one of the more humble coaches we have.

Wow, you guys in Grand Forks must have some delusional sense of reality up there.

I think that qualifies this thread for the smack board.

Maybe Rocky has changed. I have not been aware of his behavior the last 10 years, but when he was at NDSU he conducted himself with the utmost arrogance.

PS - The indian heads and Nazi remark shows a complete lack of class on your part.

BigApp
January 2nd, 2007, 05:49 PM

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

elkmcc
January 2nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Go to KFAN.com

All in unison shaking their heads and blurting "youbetcha".

HiddenGriz
January 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
I see things have not changed for you as you are still on the cat nip..

Hammerhead
January 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
According to the Sagarin ratings, NDSU had the 133rd toughest schedule compared to 141st for Montana.

What was NDSUs strength of schedule compared to the Griz? I really don't know what it is, and I am curious. I just am having a tough time beleiving that NDSU is playing so much more amazing competition than Montana.

GRZZ
January 3rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
According to the Sagarin ratings, NDSU had the 133rd toughest schedule compared to 141st for Montana.

Thank you very much. Now, I don't think that NDSU's schedule is so much better than Montana's that opponents would really be a deal breaker. I still think that Bohl gets the job though.

NDSUFREAK
January 3rd, 2007, 07:23 AM

your nuts.:eyebrow: :nod:

spelunker64
January 3rd, 2007, 07:27 AM

A little bias here I think. How many games did Hager win against the Sioux and how many did Babich in their years. Percentage wise, Hager won a lot more.

BisBison
January 3rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
I wish you people would quit quoting DaveK. He says nothing of substance, his whole outlook is predicated by his hatred (jealosy) of Bison football. He's on my ignore list for just that reason, but then his stupid drivel shows up in other people's posts because they can't believe how stupid his takes are. Just ignore him, maybe he'll post on a D-II board somewhere.

blukeys
January 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM
I wish you people would quit quoting DaveK. He says nothing of substance, his whole outlook is predicated by his hatred (jealosy) of Bison football. He's on my ignore list for just that reason, but then his stupid drivel shows up in other people's posts because they can't believe how stupid his takes are. Just ignore him, maybe he'll post on a D-II board somewhere.

Sound Advice.

griz8791
January 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM

Egriz recently implemented the ignore feature. The guy who everyone knew would be most victimized by that feature started a thread to complain about what he sees as growing censorship on the board. I had to temporarily "unignore" him to read his thread. After doing so I put him back on ignore. He argues that anyone who doesn't like his negativity should feel free to disregard his posts. So apparently he has no problem with being manually ignored. He just doesn't want anyone using electronic assistance to do it. I have to say that knowing ahead of time that I already have him on ignore makes it possible for me to go to that board now without averting my eyes.

Sorry to hijack this thread temporarily but I just wanted to take off on BisBison's comments about the ignore feature. Isn't free speech fun?

Ronbo
January 3rd, 2007, 12:45 PM

Where does Sagarin get there rankings for strength of schedule? We played 7, yes SEVEN teams that ended the season in the top 25 and went 6-1 against them. Pray tell how many top 25's in the final poll did NDSU play and what was your final record against them? Was it 2?:nod:

DaveK
January 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
A little bias here I think. How many games did Hager win against the Sioux and how many did Babich in their years. Percentage wise, Hager won a lot more.

Hager did quite well against the Sioux during his first four years in which he was coaching guys who were recruited before he got there. The Bison beat the Sioux each year from 1987 through 1990, with only one of those four games being competitive.

Starting in 1991, all of the players Rocky inherited when he took the job had moved on. He was left with all of his own recruits, and that is when things started to go downhill. He did manage to beat the Sioux in two very close games in 1991 and 1992 before the wheels came off.

In Hager's last four years as head coach at NDSU (1993-1996) the Bison were 1-5 against the Sioux, 0-4 in the regular season and 1-1 in playoff games. Bob Babich was 2-4 against the Sioux in his six years (1997-2002) at NDSU.

There is no bias based on results achieved on the field. I just didn't see anything in Babich that made him unlikable as an individual. Hager came across as an egotistical jerk, Babich did not. Bohl, who has never defeated the Sioux, also comes across as an egotistical jerk. I judge each individual based on their conduct, not based on what team they coach or how many times they win or lose.

DaveK
January 3rd, 2007, 01:19 PM

I'm not jealous. What's to be jealous of? The Sioux have defeated the Bison 10 of the last 13 times they played. The Sioux have hosted 13 playoff games in the years since the Bison last hosted one (1991). In the years since the Bison last won a national championship (1990), the Sioux have advanced to the national semifinals five times and earned a victory in one of the two championship games they played in. During this same time the Bison have not played in a championship game and advanced as far as the national semifinals only once. This is not "stupid drivel", it is fact. If I were a Bison fan, I would be jealous of the Sioux. As a Sioux fan, the only program out there worthy of being jealous of is Grand Valley State.

Mr. C
January 3rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
There is no bias based on results achieved on the field. I just didn't see anything in Babich that made him unlikable as an individual. Hager came across as an egotistical jerk, Babich did not. Bohl, who has never defeated the Sioux, also comes across as an egotistical jerk. I judge each individual based on their conduct, not based on what team they coach or how many times they win or lose.
While this subject has veered quite a bit from the topic of Bobby Hauck and Craig Bohl being targets of Minnesota's job search, I have to put my opinion in on your post. I find it very hard to believe someone refering to Rocky Hager as "an egotistical jerk." Having dealt with Rocky Hager in a professional setting, I have never seen ANYTHING that would make me think this is an accurate statement. Rocky is a very pleasant guy and is typical of a lot of the midwestern-type coaches I've had the pleasure to deal with. Now Rocky's predicessor at Northeastern, Don Brown, is quite a bit more intense and could rub some people the wrong way, though he too was very easy to work with this year as he team worked its way through the playoffs. Calling Hager "an egotistical jerk" is about 180 degrees from what I've seen of the guy. Is this more of the North Dakota-North Dakota State hate stuff? Or do you have something to present that will make this seem like more than just a Homer's opinion?

Mr. C
January 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Bohl is an awful coach, why would anyone want to hire him. He would ruin Gopher land.
Sounds like you would rather see Bohl "ruin" North Dakota State. :D xlolx

I guess we should all spread rumors about what a bad guy Craig is, so he will stay put? :) :rotateh: xlolx :nod: :D :cool: :p :smiley_wi

spelunker64
January 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
I guess we should all spread rumors about what a bad guy Craig is, so he will stay put? :) :rotateh: xlolx :nod: :D :cool: :p :smiley_wi

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner

On Bohl's character: He's a great guy, spoke at a meeting of ours. Sat down had lunch with our dealers, brought his son out too. I got a chance to visit with him a little. Down to earth guy. I like my coaches with a little ego anyway. He visited every school in ND that has a high school FB team the summer before he started. (I know that's not a lot of stops compared to you boys down south, but it's a lot of miles in between)

DaveK
January 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
While this subject has veered quite a bit from the topic of Bobby Hauck and Craig Bohl being targets of Minnesota's job search, I have to put my opinion in on your post. I find it very hard to believe someone refering to Rocky Hager as "an egotistical jerk." Having dealt with Rocky Hager in a professional setting, I have never seen ANYTHING that would make me think this is an accurate statement. Rocky is a very pleasant guy and is typical of a lot of the midwestern-type coaches I've had the pleasure to deal with. Now Rocky's predicessor at Northeastern, Don Brown, is quite a bit more intense and could rub some people the wrong way, though he too was very easy to work with this year as he team worked its way through the playoffs. Calling Hager "an egotistical jerk" is about 180 degrees from what I've seen of the guy. Is this more of the North Dakota-North Dakota State hate stuff? Or do you have something to present that will make this seem like more than just a Homer's opinion?

Well, again, I have to bring Bob Babich into the conversation. He was also a coach at NDSU but I didn't ever get the feeling that he was a jerk. I think that should elimate any suggestion that this is nothing more than UND/NDSU hate type stuff.

A couple of the more publicized incidents regarding Hager and his a-hole behavior are the comment about UND being "knuckleheads" and the sour grapes over the Mike Mooney touchdown in the 1993 Sioux/Bison game. As recently as 2000, when the GF Herald did a story on the history of Memorial Stadium, he was still whining about that play. He really needs to get over it.

During his last few years at NDSU he had some issues with players getting into trouble with the law. One of the most famous examples was when he showed up reeking of alcohol and challenged the cops that he would "fight them till they die" after they arrested his superstar juvenille delinquent RB. I forget the guy's name, but he was a transfer from somewhere down south. I believe he had a D1 scholarship that had been revoked due to bad behavior.

I always thought of Hager as the D2 version of what Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer had been at Miami and Oklahoma respectively, a guy with no class who ran a successful but dirty program.

NDSUFREAK
January 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
So your now saying that you think he is a jerk just because he doesnt like the sioux?

NDSUFREAK
January 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
We as BISON fans are NOT jealous of losing 10 out of 13 to the sioux in the past years when the sioux were man enough to play us. It just hurts you deep inside that NDSU is the most successful college in North Dakota and are nationally known in a good way.

DaveK
January 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
So your now saying that you think he is a jerk just because he doesnt like the sioux?

Not because he dislikes them, but because he appeared to go out of his way to show a great deal of disrespect towards them. But I think what is much worse than disrespecting the Sioux is showing up reeking of alcohol when your star RB gets arrested and then telling the cops "I'll fight you till you die". You can't possibly defend those actions, can you?

DaveK
January 3rd, 2007, 05:09 PM
We as BISON fans are NOT jealous of losing 10 out of 13 to the sioux in the past years when the sioux were man enough to play us. It just hurts you deep inside that NDSU is the most successful college in North Dakota and are nationally known in a good way.

Now wait just a minute, NDSU is not nationally known in a good way. They aren't even nationally known in a bad way. They're a small-time program that 99% of the nation is oblivious to, and they are not the most successful college in North Dakota. They aren't even close. Everybody knows UND is the most successful college in North Dakota, as proven by these facts:

The Sioux have defeated the Bison 10 of the last 13 times they played. The Sioux have hosted 13 playoff games in the years since the Bison last hosted one (1991). In the years since the Bison last won a national championship (1990), the Sioux have advanced to the national semifinals five times and earned a victory in one of the two championship games they played in. During this same time the Bison have not played in a championship game and advanced as far as the national semifinals only once.

blk
January 3rd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Number of Football National Championships

NDSU: 8
UND: 1

Division 2 Playoff Appearances

NDSU: 17
UND: 12

Division 2 Playoff Record

NDSU: 30-12
UND: 16-11

JALMOND
January 3rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Go to KFAN.com

Same kind of crap all of us in the Big Sky have had to deal with the last few years, the notion that the conference is just Montana and the rest.

Right now, I'd say the Gopher job is only slightly better than the Idaho job due to the conference they play in. With Monson having left shortly after basketball season began and now Mason is gone, seems like the AD and the administration enjoy wielding the hatchet. Hauck and Bohl would both be wise to avoid this hornet's nest. As for the Gophers, they can take a run at Denny Green now. He seems to enjoy hornet's nests and is still well known in the Twin Cities.

Mountaineer
January 3rd, 2007, 05:34 PM

Elementary my dear Sioux fans. :p

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3043/38673687sherlockholmes3mq0.jpg

No_Skill
January 3rd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Why do I get the feeling that in the coming years there will be MANY Bison/Sioux fans who will be banned from this site?

This is a truely hatefull rivalry.

bisonranch
January 3rd, 2007, 06:06 PM

Another interesting one...

National Championships all sports

NDSU: 20
UND: 11

Or for Dave, the Bison have defeated the Sioux 15 of the last 10 times they've played.

Aside from ND bickering, I think the Gophers will be looking for a coach with a little more name recognition than some guy in North Dakota. They think they are the big time in the cities.

Go Bison
January 3rd, 2007, 07:41 PM
Last 25 meetings between NDSU and UND has NDSU winning 15 and UND winning 10. Considering UND wouldn't sign a home and home agreement we should count those as forfeit losses for the Sioux. So maybe we should say NDSU 18 and UND 10.

NDSUFREAK
January 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM

And you were saying DaveK?
To response to the "probation" or the "kicking off" that will come as soon as nexy year will be severe. BUT WE WILL SURVIVE :p

SSS

GRZZ
January 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
Same kind of crap all of us in the Big Sky have had to deal with the last few years, the notion that the conference is just Montana and the rest.

Right now, I'd say the Gopher job is only slightly better than the Idaho job due to the conference they play in. With Monson having left shortly after basketball season began and now Mason is gone, seems like the AD and the administration enjoy wielding the hatchet. Hauck and Bohl would both be wise to avoid this hornet's nest. As for the Gophers, they can take a run at Denny Green now. He seems to enjoy hornet's nests and is still well known in the Twin Cities.

That Montana and the rest argument drives me nuts. Most games in the Big Sky are hard fought and are not by any means gimmees for the Griz.

GCWaters
January 4th, 2007, 12:08 AM
This is about as loony as DaveK's claim over on Siouxsports that the Big 10 dominates the SEC in head to head competion....for the record, Dave, here's the SEC's winning percentage against the Big 10 since 1995:

1995: 75%
1996: 100%
1997: 100%
1998: 33%
1999: 50%
2000: 67%
2001: 75%
2002: 50%
2003: 75%
2004: 50%
2005: 33%

Sorry, bub, but I don't see any Big 10 domination there...just the opposite, I'd say....Maybe you had problems with finite math??!?!?!

TonkaBison
January 4th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Hager did quite well against the Sioux during his first four years in which he was coaching guys who were recruited before he got there. The Bison beat the Sioux each year from 1987 through 1990, with only one of those four games being competitive.

Starting in 1991, all of the players Rocky inherited when he took the job had moved on. He was left with all of his own recruits, and that is when things started to go downhill. He did manage to beat the Sioux in two very close games in 1991 and 1992 before the wheels came off.

In Hager's last four years as head coach at NDSU (1993-1996) the Bison were 1-5 against the Sioux, 0-4 in the regular season and 1-1 in playoff games. Bob Babich was 2-4 against the Sioux in his six years (1997-2002) at NDSU.

Hmmm, Rocky Hager is a jerk or Craig Bohl? Should I post Roger Thomas' comments made before the UND Boosters organization which I was priviledged to attend in Bismarck a few years back? I believe much stronger language was used regarding NDSU than "knuckleheads". If you don't believe me you might want to ask Earl Strinden as he was there sitting right across the table from me. :nono:

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 02:09 AM

That's nice for historical purposes, but how long will the boosters continue to live off past glory from long ago without getting upset about the team having had no real success since the current players were in diapers? The majority of NDSU's success happened more than 15 years ago while the majority of UND's success has occured within the last 15 years. It's a matter of "what have you done lately?". The NDSU football program has been in decline for well over a decade while the UND football program passed them by and has lost sight of them in their rear view mirrors. At some point you need to add to those numbers if you want to be taken seriously. The Bison were great in the '80s, but not so much for most of the past 15 years.

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 02:12 AM
This is about as loony as DaveK's claim over on Siouxsports that the Big 10 dominates the SEC in head to head competion....for the record, Dave, here's the SEC's winning percentage against the Big 10 since 1995:

1995: 75%
1996: 100%
1997: 100%
1998: 33%
1999: 50%
2000: 67%

Sorry, bub, but I don't see any Big 10 domination there...just the opposite, I'd say....Maybe you had problems with finite math??!?!?!

I will not carry on the same discussion on two different threads on two different boards. If you want to argue about that vastly overrated piece of crap SEC conference with me, by all means please take this to the thread you referenced and I will tear your argument to shreds.

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Hmmm, Rocky Hager is a jerk or Craig Bohl? Should I post Roger Thomas' comments made before the UND Boosters organization which I was priviledged to attend in Bismarck a few years back? I believe much stronger language was used regarding NDSU than "knuckleheads". If you don't believe me you might want to ask Earl Strinden as he was there sitting right across the table from me. :nono:

Hager and Bohl both. Whatever Roger said about NDSU is probably true. What the hell was a Bison fan doing at a Sioux Boosters event?

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Last 25 meetings between NDSU and UND has NDSU winning 15 and UND winning 10. Considering UND wouldn't sign a home and home agreement we should count those as forfeit losses for the Sioux. So maybe we should say NDSU 18 and UND 10.

That's like saying the Gophers forfeited the game they never played against the Sioux by stating that they will not play them. NDSU were the ones who went running away from the NCC with their tails between their legs after being beaten by the Sioux 10 of the last 13 times they played. They were like the kid who got pulverized by the schoolyard bully on a daily basis until finally showing up with a couple of friends and challenging the bully to a 3 on 1 fight. If you can't beat us when both schools have the same number of scholarships, don't be so classless as to whine when we decline to play with the deck stacked in your favor. Play us on an even playing field or don't play us at all.

HLecter
January 4th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I hope they hire Mickey Mouth Matthews so I never have to see his fat country ass again.

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Why do I get the feeling that in the coming years there will be MANY Bison/Sioux fans who will be banned from this site?

This is a truely hatefull rivalry.

So hateful that I wouldn't even miss them if they ceased to exist tomorrow. I follow a lot of different sports at different levels... NHL, MLB, NFL, college hockey, college football (both D1 and D1-AA/D2)... and out of all of those different leagues and sports NDSU is the only team that I truly despise.

TheBisonator
January 4th, 2007, 04:21 AM
One of the greatest things I ever did in my life was putting DaveK on my ignore list. I'm a much more content person for doing so.

DaveK is the only UND fan who posts on the internet who's posts I cannot stand reading at all. There's smack trolls from UND who's posts I'll read. But not this goofball. UND fans are generally decent fans in my book, just like most schools. There may be no more than 5-10 UND fans on this planet with the kind of clouded judgement and blind hatred that DaveK has.

I feel sorry for him.

FargoBison
January 4th, 2007, 04:25 AM
That's nice for historical purposes, but how long will the boosters continue to live off past glory from long ago without getting upset about the team having had no real success since the current players were in diapers? The majority of NDSU's success happened more than 15 years ago while the majority of UND's success has occured within the last 15 years. It's a matter of "what have you done lately?". The NDSU football program has been in decline for well over a decade while the UND football program passed them by and has lost sight of them in their rear view mirrors. At some point you need to add to those numbers if you want to be taken seriously. The Bison were great in the '80s, but not so much for most of the past 15 years.

NDSU football 2006 10-1 ranked in the top 5 of I-AA. Oh and don't forget top 25 in 2004 and 2005 as well. I'd say thats not too bad for a DII program that was on the decline for 15 years, I'm sure you'd be estatic if UND came into the FCS and did the same.

As for the boosters they seem to be just fine with what NDSU football has done lately, donations are higher then ever and attendance is also at record levels. How is attendance and boosters feelings up at the school thats been on the rise for 15 years? You'd think interest would be at an alltime high at a school like that but then I see UND only sold five thousand tickets for your last playoff game.

GCWaters
January 4th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I will not carry on the same discussion on two different threads on two different boards. If you want to argue about that vastly overrated piece of crap SEC conference with me, by all means please take this to the thread you referenced and I will tear your argument to shreds.

Sorry, bub...don't belong to SS, just lurk there from time to time...the SEC has a 59% winning percentage against the B10 from 1990 to 2005....hard to rip that to shreds....

spelunker64
January 4th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Back to the coaches discussion...

Halstrom (WDAY) reported last night that Bohl has only a 5% chance of getting the goofer job.

NDSUFREAK
January 4th, 2007, 07:58 AM

I was talking about the most successful college program in North Dakota. You keep saying that we are living in the past. Well to be successful you have to say what you did the past years to gain a tradition. NDSU has, but all und has is hockey. This is a football board.

lucchesicourt
January 4th, 2007, 08:43 AM
NDSU fans you guys do not need to defend yourselves against UND fans. We all know who is boss in ND. Afterall, UCD and NDSU have the most playoff experience at the D2 level, and I think we only played UND once and UND won 14-2. UND actually pretty much shut UCD out in that game, though UCD had more total offense. UCD just couldn't cash in. I will say UND played very well, but they really weren't such a playoff factor when UCD and NDSU were D2.

Go Bison
January 4th, 2007, 10:22 AM
That's like saying the Gophers forfeited the game they never played against the Sioux by stating that they will not play them. NDSU were the ones who went running away from the NCC with their tails between their legs after being beaten by the Sioux 10 of the last 13 times they played. They were like the kid who got pulverized by the schoolyard bully on a daily basis until finally showing up with a couple of friends and challenging the bully to a 3 on 1 fight. If you can't beat us when both schools have the same number of scholarships, don't be so classless as to whine when we decline to play with the deck stacked in your favor. Play us on an even playing field or don't play us at all.

Then why didn't UND join NDSU in DI then? It must have been the right decision because UND is now going DI.

Go Bison
January 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Back to the coaches discussion...

Halstrom (WDAY) reported last night that Bohl has only a 5% chance of getting the goofer job.

I will agree with that. Minnesota will want the big name coaches first on their list, then if they don't get the big names only then will Bohl's chances go up.

Cap'n Cat
January 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Hauck in Twin Cities TODAY meeting with Joel Maturi and UM Prez!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

No_Skill
January 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Hager and Bohl both. Whatever Roger said about NDSU is probably true. What the hell was a Bison fan doing at a Sioux Boosters event?

That comment alone speaks volumes. xlolx

AggiePride
January 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM
NDSU fans you guys do not need to defend yourselves against UND fans. We all know who is boss in ND. Afterall, UCD and NDSU have the most playoff experience at the D2 level, and I think we only played UND once and UND won 14-2. UND actually pretty much shut UCD out in that game, though UCD had more total offense. UCD just couldn't cash in. I will say UND played very well, but they really weren't such a playoff factor when UCD and NDSU were D2.

Actually UND was more of a factor while I played.

Both are great programs and I personally ignore the rivarly garbage as it is goes much farther than I care to take football, and it seems to make both sets of fans look bad in threads like this by bringing out the worst in each. Most of the FCS fans here have already jumped on the NDSU bandwagon (at a minimum because they are FCS and UND is not) anyways and it is futile for Davek to even attempt to argue here without getting flamed by everyone and looking bad in the end.

Both sets of fans choose to ignore sections of their history in order to some how prove they are "king of the hill". When all the cards are stacked up, it is hard to argue with NDSU's history, but it is also hard to ignore recent history and UND will never let the last 13 years of the rivarly go, as we hear every time Dave makes a post.

Anyways, I respect both schools very much and expect UND to have similar success in the FCS as NDSU. I don't buy in to either teams propaganda and just see two GREAT programs.

I am also starting to see why NDSU does not want to go back to those days, it really does seem to turn each set of fans into different people...

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Then why didn't UND join NDSU in DI then? It must have been the right decision because UND is now going DI.

Why? Because NDSU made a hasty decision and jumped ship too quickly. Had they been patient and waited just a few more years till the time was right they could have moved up together. But I realize that by not having D1 hockey they were desperate to hurry up and get a D1 program in a futile attempt to keep up with the most successful college in the state.

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I was talking about the most successful college program in North Dakota. You keep saying that we are living in the past. Well to be successful you have to say what you did the past years to gain a tradition. NDSU has, but all und has is hockey. This is a football board.

What do you mean all UND has is hockey? Five trips to the national semifinals since 1993 compared to only one for NDSU. NDSU used to be king of the hill in North Dakota college football, but their time has long since passed. I have already stated the facts in terms of numbers. UND has great traditions in both hockey and football. This just in... UND football is no longer as bad as they were in the '80s. Are you stuck in a time warp? Don't you realize things have changed dramatically over the past 15 years?

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Actually UND was more of a factor while I played.

Both are great programs and I personally ignore the rivarly garbage as it is goes much farther than I care to take football, and it seems to make both sets of fans look bad in threads like this by bringing out the worst in each. Most of the FCS fans here have already jumped on the NDSU bandwagon (at a minimum because they are FCS and UND is not) anyways and it is futile for Davek to even attempt to argue here without getting flamed by everyone and looking bad in the end.

Both sets of fans choose to ignore sections of their history in order to some how prove they are "king of the hill". When all the cards are stacked up, it is hard to argue with NDSU's history, but it is also hard to ignore recent history and UND will never let the last 13 years of the rivarly go, as we hear every time Dave makes a post.

Anyways, I respect both schools very much and expect UND to have similar success in the FCS as NDSU. I don't buy in to either teams propaganda and just see two GREAT programs.

I am also starting to see why NDSU does not want to go back to those days, it really does seem to turn each set of fans into different people...

That is a decent post. You have to realize that fans of those two schools (myself included) are not capable of saying anything nice about the other school. I sincerely believe that UND and NDSU hate each other more than any two other schools in the nation, including even Michigan/Ohio State.

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Sorry, bub...don't belong to SS, just lurk there from time to time...the SEC has a 59% winning percentage against the B10 from 1990 to 2005....hard to rip that to shreds....

Sounds to me like you pulled that number out of your a$$. I call bull*****.

GCWaters
January 4th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Sounds to me like you pulled that number out of your a$$. I call bull*****.

Check it yourself:

http://football.stassen.com/records/multi-conference.html

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Check it yourself:

http://football.stassen.com/records/multi-conference.html

Hmmm... the way I see it, the Big 10 has taken 6 of 9 vs. the SEC over the last three years. If Ohio State wins next week, as expected, that will make it 7 of 10. Pretty dominating if you ask me. Like I said, the SEC is overrated. Nice try, better luck next time.

GCWaters
January 4th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Hmmm... the way I see it, the Big 10 has taken 6 of 9 vs. the SEC over the last three years. If Ohio State wins next week, as expected, that will make it 7 of 10. Pretty dominating if you ask me. Like I said, the SEC is overrated. Nice try, better luck next time.

Nice--cherry pick your time period, ignore reality....what are you drinking up there in ND, kerosene? Better go back to grooming your mullet and pressing your Zubaz, because you have no credibility re: football...

Mountaineer
January 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Nice--cherry pick your time period, ignore reality....what are you drinking up there in ND, kerosene? Better go back to grooming your mullet and pressing your Zubaz, because you have no credibility re: football...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

AggiePride
January 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM

DaveK, you seem to have a penchant for trimming any set of facts to fit your argument.

This exchange for example, he states a fact and when you disagree and he supports it, all of a sudden you can only see the last three years and a game that has not even been played.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone that will agree with you when you consistantly only display facts that support you and ignore any that don't. Especially when the facts you ignore are more substantial and directly contrast with your point.

I understand the concept of "what have you done for me lately", but you take it way to far and will trim anything down to a couple years or a decade as the only facts you look at (if they support you), which is just silly when you are talking about history and tradition.

This is the same with your tunnel vision of the last 13 years of your history with NDSU.

And making comments like "NDSU used to be king of the hill in North Dakota college football, but their time has long since passed." is just silly.

Even if you can't say something nice about NDSU.. that does not mean you have to say something ridiculously stupid and absurd.. just say nothing at all, at least you will not make yourself look foolish.

bison95
January 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Actually he is perming his mullet, and pressing his mock turtle neck:thumbsup:

GRZZ
January 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Hauck in Twin Cities TODAY meeting with Joel Maturi and UM Prez!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do you have a link or anything? Or is this yet another way to start taking shots at The Big Sky Conference?

TheBisonator
January 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM
NDSU used to be king of the hill in North Dakota college football, but their time has long since passed.

If being the "new" king of the hill in North Dakota means getting 5,000 fans for a playoff game, then I truly feel sorry for the state of North Dakota.

(I had to un-ignore DaveK for this post, but I found this quote hilarious.)

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM
If being the "new" king of the hill in North Dakota means getting 5,000 fans for a playoff game, then I truly feel sorry for the state of North Dakota.

(I had to un-ignore DaveK for this post, but I found this quote hilarious.)

So now success is measured by attendance? xlolx

You can have the attendance figures, we'll settle for the success on the field.

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 03:37 PM

I'm talking about recent history. The reality is that the Big 10 has dominated the SEC head to head in recent years. That is fact. Cherry picking a time period would be like saying between 1983 and 1990 NDSU was great.

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I understand the concept of "what have you done for me lately", but you take it way to far and will trim anything down to a couple years or a decade as the only facts you look at (if they support you), which is just silly when you are talking about history and tradition.

You're right, but I'm really no different than anybody else in that regard. Pretty much everybody, including commentators on TV and newspaper columnists, does the same thing when trying to make a point.

GCWaters
January 4th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I'm talking about recent history. The reality is that the Big 10 has dominated the SEC head to head in recent years. That is fact. Cherry picking a time period would be like saying between 1983 and 1990 NDSU was great.

SEC Winning Percentage:

Better than 50% once in the last five years is dominating? Well, at least we now know why you think UND's record is so hot....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Griz Grunt
January 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Do you have a link or anything? Or is this yet another way to start taking shots at The Big Sky Conference?

Found this where Cap'n got his info...

http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/MN-meeting.gif

DaveK
January 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
SEC Winning Percentage:

Better than 50% once in the last five years is dominating? Well, at least we now know why you think UND's record is so hot....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GCWaters on spin cycle. :rotateh:

6 of 9 over the past three years for the Big 10 over the SEC. That's 66%. Depending on the result of Monday's game it'll be either 60% or 70%. Either way, the Big 10 has already more than proven itself as the superior conference. Case closed.

GCWaters
January 4th, 2007, 04:49 PM

6 of 9 over the past three years for the Big 10 over the SEC. That's 66%. Depending on the result of Monday's game it'll be either 60% or 70%. Either way, the Big 10 has already more than proven itself as the superior conference. Case closed.

Case closed indeed....You, my friend, are who the "ignore" function was written for!

AggiePride
January 4th, 2007, 05:53 PM

I thought it was just a NDSU vs. UND thing.

But now I know that you are just retarded.

No_Skill
January 4th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Speaking of ice soccer, I heard that und isn't having a very good year. They must at least be doing better than the Gophers though, right?

BTW: Man, this thread sure got de-railed.

NDSUFREAK
January 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM
DaveK, you say the tide was changed after the 80s and 90s, well the tide has changed again. NDSU wasn't ranked 5 at the end of the season in DII. They were #5 in FCS.

GRZZ
January 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM
DaveK, you say the tide was changed after the 80s and 90s, well the tide has changed again. NDSU wasn't ranked 5 at the end of the season in DII. They were #5 in FCS.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Without hopping in the middle of this. NDSU showed all of us at the FCS level something this year. You need to prove it to us and if you are as good as you say, this wont be a problem. Time will sort all this out, now can you stay on subject in this thread. If you have something to add about FCS coaches being candidates at Minnesota, please tell. Otherwise, the smack board is --------->>>>>> thata way.

MNBISON
January 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM
The day after NDSU won the title in 1990 is the day they should have moved up to DI. Why you ask? Because that is when they cut scholarships from 45 to 36 and that is what allowed the others to catch up to the Herd plain and simple.

Back to the subject at hand. I really doubt either Hauck or Bohl will land this job and if you take money out of it, I'm not sure if they'd really want it. Listening to reports here in MPLS, it sounds like the Gophers want a big name. But here lies the problem for the UofM. Any coach who is interested in this job will call Mason to get his take on what is happening at the U and one can bet he'll paint a pretty poor picture of the state of things in Dinkytown. It is well know that the university itself has never been a big supporter of football and unless the powers that be at the U can paint a very pretty picture, I think they might just end up with a middle of the road kind of guy. If you look back at Gopher football, no one, not even Lou Holtz has won at the U since before many of us were even on this earth. There is more to this than meets the eye. Of course a million five or whatever number they offer a top guy would go a long way to solving a lot of problems, might have to toss in a membership at Bear Path too.

NDSUFREAK
January 4th, 2007, 09:37 PM

Without hopping in the middle of this. NDSU showed all of us at the FCS level something this year. You need to prove it to us and if you are as good as you say, this wont be a problem. Time will sort all this out, now can you stay on subject in this thread. If you have something to add about FCS coaches being candidates at Minnesota, please tell. Otherwise, the smack board is --------->>>>>> thata way.

Surprised it hasn't already.

NDSUFREAK
January 4th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Bill Cowher??

DaveK
January 5th, 2007, 01:41 AM
The day after NDSU won the title in 1990 is the day they should have moved up to DI. Why you ask? Because that is when they cut scholarships from 45 to 36 and that is what allowed the others to catch up to the Herd plain and simple.

So, in other words, back when the limit was at 45 most other D2 schools were not giving the maximum number of scholarships... right?

That being the case, I guess what you're telling us is that they couldn't dominate on a level playing field.

DaveK
January 5th, 2007, 01:42 AM

Until they host a playoff game or beat UND... I don't give a rat's a$$.

DaveK
January 5th, 2007, 01:44 AM

Okay, fair enough. Getting back on topic... I cheer for the Gophers in D1 football and would not be happy if they hired Bohl. Please do not ask me questions as to why I feel that way, because my answer would steer this thread back off topic once again.

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2007, 07:20 AM
So, in other words, back when the limit was at 45 most other D2 schools were not giving the maximum number of scholarships... right?

That being the case, I guess what you're telling us is that they couldn't dominate on a level playing field.

No, because scholarship 37-45 would go to a school that would offer them a scholarship, therefore splitting up the talent.

youwouldno
January 5th, 2007, 08:09 AM
The Gophers won't hire an FCS coach even if it would be the best option, because they want to make it look like they made a big upgrade, when in fact Mason was as good as anybody they're going to get, almost certainly better. That's a really messed up athletic program all-around, not just with football.

GrizFoo
January 5th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I'd hire Bohl if I were a Gopher AD/Administrator. One look at what he's done for NDSU, and his experience in general, and I'd have a tough time hiring someone just because they have more name recognition. Bohl seems like a scrapper, and a no excuses type guy. I don't think NDSU would be where they are without landing him as their coach.

Transitioning from DII to I-AA wasn't exactly a huge move, but it was a move that could easily have not gone nearly as well as it has. I'd credit the NDSU administrators foresight, and their commitment to excellence..but I'd have to credit Bohl the most. NDSU could just as easily had not beat UM, the field goal could have easily been good, or the game not even as close had Bohl not been the coach...and not generated the mojo and confidence.

Hand it to the admins for their great scheduling, and Bohl for all he's done. A fine line separates where NDSU is and possibly obscurity, had a few things not gone quite the way they did.

MNBISON
January 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM
No, because scholarship 37-45 would go to a school that would offer them a scholarship, therefore splitting up the talent.

Thanks Gil, I thought most people would have figured it out but of course I forgot about poor DaveK. Maybe next time I'll write it in crayon so it is at his level.

Crashola
January 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM
That was downright painful trying to scroll through this thread to get relevant info on the topic of Hauck and Bohl. In any event, today's Strib had an article about Gopher coaching rumors and it made no mention of Bohl or Hauck. The big name mentioned was Coker along with offensive coordinators from NC State and Wisconsin, as well as the defensive coordinator from UCLA.

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
The Gophers won't hire an FCS coach even if it would be the best option, because they want to make it look like they made a big upgrade, when in fact Mason was as good as anybody they're going to get, almost certainly better. That's a really messed up athletic program all-around, not just with football.

I've seen Mason coach a lot of games. He may get some good talent on the offensive side. His weekness is defense and gameday coaching, aka Michigan and Texas Tech comebacks being the most obvious. He also does not communicate very good with the Minnesota High School coaches as far as recruiting goes. Many of the top Minnesota recruits leave for other schools like Larry Fitzgerald to name one.

DaveK
January 5th, 2007, 01:31 PM

So are you trying to tell me it wasn't exactly the same for everybody else in D2? What happened to scholarships 37-45 at every other school?

GABison
January 5th, 2007, 01:35 PM
That was downright painful trying to scroll through this thread to get relevant info on the topic of Hauck and Bohl. In any event, today's Strib had an article about Gopher coaching rumors and it made no mention of Bohl or Hauck. The big name mentioned was Coker along with offensive coordinators from NC State and Wisconsin, as well as the defensive coordinator from UCLA.

AAhhhh, crap. You are dead on. With UND moving up to FCS, we will get the pleasure of DaveK's company from now on. NOT!!!. Oh well, it's been a good 3 years for me of being able to go on a football website without DaveK's anti-NDSU venom. You can bet that DaveK will chime in with anything to do with NDSU on this website from now on. With the success NDSU has had lately, he must have trouble sleeping some nights.

Back on topic: I think Bohl has a very good shot at the Minnesota job. People have mentioned that Minnesota won't look at a FCS coach. They probably don't realize that Bohl has been in FBS a whole lot longer than FCS. It's not like he is a newbie with coaching at Nebraska, Wisconsin and Tulsa under his belt.

I watched the Bison/Minnesota game again.xidiotx . Part of the pregame showed Bohl and Maturi (MN AD) talking before the game. Apparently their relationship goes back awhile. It's relationships like this that make strange things happen (ie. Bohl getting MN job).

Hopefully, the improvements to our facilities(new offices on par with Big 10 schools) and his relationship with our AD will keep Bohl in Fargo.:)

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM
So are you trying to tell me it wasn't exactly the same for everybody else in D2? What happened to scholarships 37-45 at every other school?

The better players get the scholarships. Instead of 45 better players you get 36. Say you are recruiting the top 3 rb's that will play over a 5 year period, in DII, and with 45 scholarships you can offer all 3 full rides. With the cut back to 36, you can only offer 2. Number 3, maybe of an equal skill level, but goes to a different school to get a scholarship. Now the different school has a top prospect that normally was not available. Their scholarships are also reduced, so they have players that won't be offered scholarships, and the trickle down effect goes on, until someone down the line doesn't get a scholarship. Basically leveling the playing field and reducing the depth.

slostang
January 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM
The better players get the scholarships. Instead of 45 better players you get 36. Say you are recruiting the top 3 rb's that will play over a 5 year period, in DII, and with 45 scholarships you can offer all 3 full rides. With the cut back to 36, you can only offer 2. Number 3, maybe of an equal skill level, but goes to a different school to get a scholarship. Now the different school has a top prospect that normally was not available. Their scholarships are also reduced, so they have players that won't be offered scholarships, and the trickle down effect goes on, until someone down the line doesn't get a scholarship. Basically leveling the playing field and reducing the depth.
Gil, haven't you figured out by now that posters like DaveK are not interested in a well thought out and reasoned response like this?

DaveK
January 5th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Wasn't the playing field level when scholarships were at 45, or was it somehow slanted in favor of the Bison? Was it just NDSU that had to reduce their scholarships to 36, or was it all of D2? I thought it was pretty clear, but the way you're making it sound the reducing of scholarships somehow hurt NDSU while helping the rest of D2. How can that be? Are you suggesting the rest of D2 was already below 45 scholarships?

NDSUFREAK
January 5th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks Gil, I thought most people would have figured it out but of course I forgot about poor DaveK. Maybe next time I'll write it in crayon so it is at his level.

http://www.linux.ime.usp.br/~abpaula/southpark/404_timmy.gif
DAVEKAA!!!

MNBISON
January 5th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Wasn't the playing field level when scholarships were at 45, or was it somehow slanted in favor of the Bison? Was it just NDSU that had to reduce their scholarships to 36, or was it all of D2? I thought it was pretty clear, but the way you're making it sound the reducing of scholarships somehow hurt NDSU while helping the rest of D2. How can that be? Are you suggesting the rest of D2 was already below 45 scholarships?

Davey Boy, no one is suggesting the rest of DII was below 45 although I have no doubt you could find examples. If you look back, you'll see that most of the schools the Herd were playing in the playoffs at that time (notice I didn't say UND because we all know where the boys in kelly green and pink were before the first watering down of DII at playoff time) have moved on to DI as well but did it long before NDSU did which was a mistake on NDSU's part in my mind. The Bison should have taken their hardware, said thank you very much and moved up, but I digress. Correct me if I'm wrong, Davey, but isn't one of the reason UND is moving up is becasue of the fear that DII is going to drop scholarships again? I'm pretty sure I've read that, funny, why would they be against that?

Back to the subject at hand, word out of MPLS today is that the OC from the Badgers might be the U's guy. Good deal for Bison and Griz fans.

DaveK
January 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Davey Boy, no one is suggesting the rest of DII was below 45 although I have no doubt you could find examples. If you look back, you'll see that most of the schools the Herd were playing in the playoffs at that time (notice I didn't say UND because we all know where the boys in kelly green and pink were before the first watering down of DII at playoff time) have moved on to DI as well but did it long before NDSU did which was a mistake on NDSU's part in my mind. The Bison should have taken their hardware, said thank you very much and moved up, but I digress. Correct me if I'm wrong, Davey, but isn't one of the reason UND is moving up is becasue of the fear that DII is going to drop scholarships again? I'm pretty sure I've read that, funny, why would they be against that?

Back to the subject at hand, word out of MPLS today is that the OC from the Badgers might be the U's guy. Good deal for Bison and Griz fans.

That doesn't answer my question. If all D2 teams are playing by the same rules, how exactly did the reduction in scholarships hurt just NDSU and nobody else? A lot of D2 teams (including my beloved Fighting Sioux) caught up to NDSU and passed them by in the early to mid '90s. How did that happen if everybody had the same reduction in scholarships?

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2007, 09:19 PM
That doesn't answer my question. If all D2 teams are playing by the same rules, how exactly did the reduction in scholarships hurt just NDSU and nobody else? A lot of D2 teams (including my beloved Fighting Sioux) caught up to NDSU and passed them by in the early to mid '90s. How did that happen if everybody had the same reduction in scholarships?

It didn't just hurt the Bison, I used the Bison as an example. If UND was good prior to 1990, I would have used UND. Try this extreme example to get the point to you DaveK. What if the NCAA decided that hockey teams could only dress 12 players on their roster. Same 12 could only play that whole season. Would UND still get all the recruits they have, or would the recruits go somewhere else so they would play. How many would have developed into first line players by their Sr years at UND? It levels the playing field, UND's third line players would go to a different school, and possibly develope and play on a first or second line.

TheBisonator
January 5th, 2007, 09:37 PM
It didn't just hurt the Bison, I used the Bison as an example. If UND was good prior to 1990, I would have used UND. Try this extreme example to get the point to you DaveK. What if the NCAA decided that hockey teams could only dress 12 players on their roster. Same 12 could only play that whole season. Would UND still get all the recruits they have, or would the recruits go somewhere else so they would play. How many would have developed into first line players by their Sr years at UND? It levels the playing field, UND's third line players would go to a different school, and possibly develope and play on a first or second line.

Now now, what you just said actually involves something called "LOGIC", a concept that Davey Boy is not able to grasp and comprehend...xlolx

Hammerhead
January 5th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Dennis Green is available and He knows his way around the humptydome. :-)

DaveK
January 6th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Are you suggesting the playing field was not level before the scholarship reduction happened?

Gil Dobie
January 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Are you suggesting the playing field was not level before the scholarship reduction happened?

Are you saying having 36 scholarships is better than having 45 scholarships? xidiotx

The Sheriff
January 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Depends on who you talk to (or listen to I guess). The Strib is going to say who they like, KFAN will spout off who they like and everyone else is going to say who they like. The fact of the matter is that Maturi hasn't even developed a final list of who they will interview (at least hasn't made one public). Until then, everyone's "sources" will have to continue to speculate. The Badger coach hasn't been mentioned any more than Coker, Walker, Bohl or Denny Green.

The Gophers should learn from the Vikings about hiring all those Wisconsin connections. They need to just stay away from that!!!

I like Bohl for the job. Not because it would mean NDSU loses him, but because he simply deserves the job. He is hands down the best coach in this division.

JALMOND
January 6th, 2007, 01:32 PM

Similar to what they did with the basketball program a few years earlier, after the Haskins scandal. They spent the money and got the best coach available (Don Monson from Gonzaga). Monson was a good coach but could never turn out great teams at Minnesota. Whether he left or was forced out at the start of this season, I don't know. Now the Gophers have this mess on their hands as well. Any smart coach would be wise to avoid this, in my opinion.

Gil Dobie
January 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Similar to what they did with the basketball program a few years earlier, after the Haskins scandal. They spent the money and got the best coach available (Don Monson from Gonzaga). Monson was a good coach but could never turn out great teams at Minnesota. Whether he left or was forced out at the start of this season, I don't know. Now the Gophers have this mess on their hands as well. Any smart coach would be wise to avoid this, in my opinion.

I believe this is the first year the sanctions against Minnesota during the Haskins tenure, have been expired. Monson never really had a chance to build the program without having his hands tied due to NCAA probation and penalties.

Mr. C
January 6th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I like Bohl for the job. Not because it would mean NDSU loses him, but because he simply deserves the job. He is hands down the best coach in this division.
Hands down the best coach in the Division? That's quite a statement. No doubt that Bohl is doing a great job at North Dakota State. He was on my ballot when I voted for the Robinson Award this season. But there are a lot of great coaches in the FCS. A lot of guys do terrific jobs with a minimal of resources (think Mike Ayers at Wofford). You can't say enough about the job Jerry Moore has done at Appalachian State in winning back-to-back national titles. How about Don Brown at UMass? He has taken UMass to a higher level and built Northeastern from the scrap heap to an A-10 champion. David Bennett has built Coastal Carolina into a playoff team from scratch. Jay Mills has done a tremendous job in turning one of the worst teams in I-AA, Charleston Southern, into a good program. How about Jerry Kill at Southern Illinois? Everybody knows how bad the Salukis were before he arrived. Frank Tavani has done wonders at Lafayette. Tim Murphy at Harvard is another good one. So is Dick Biddle at Colgate. I am also a big fan of Pete Lembo at Elon and Kevin Higgins at The Citadel. The point is that there are a lot of great coaches in the FCS and Bohl is just one of them.

DaveK
January 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Are you saying having 36 scholarships is better than having 45 scholarships? xidiotx

No, I'm not... but what I am saying is that if every team had to play by the same rules I don't understand how so many teams caught up to and surpassed NDSU between 1990 and 1995. It wasn't just NDSU that had to drop 9 scholarships, it was everbody in D2.

You're the one who said the reduction in scholarships leveled the playing field. So, again I ask... wasn't it level before that time?

Hammersmith
January 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM
No, I'm not... but what I am saying is that if every team had to play by the same rules I don't understand how so many teams caught up to and surpassed NDSU between 1990 and 1995. It wasn't just NDSU that had to drop 9 scholarships, it was everbody in D2.

You're the one who said the reduction in scholarships leveled the playing field. So, again I ask... wasn't it level before that time?
It was, and it wasn't. Yes, all schools had the option to offer 45 scholarships, but the fact that many did not allowed the power programs that were flush with cash to "hoard" many of the best DII players. When the level dropped to 36, 20% of those recruits from the 45 scholie programs were redistributed among the lesser funded teams. In that respect, the playing field was leveled.

DaveK
January 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
It was, and it wasn't. Yes, all schools had the option to offer 45 scholarships, but the fact that many did not allowed the power programs that were flush with cash to "hoard" many of the best DII players. When the level dropped to 36, 20% of those recruits from the 45 scholie programs were redistributed among the lesser funded teams. In that respect, the playing field was leveled.

So, in other words, NDSU never dominated on a level playing field. They more or less bought those D2 title much the same way the New York Yankees bought their World Series titles. At least when UND claimed their one and only D2 championship they did it on a level playing field.

FargoBison
January 6th, 2007, 11:42 PM
So, in other words, NDSU never dominated on a level playing field. They more or less bought those D2 title much the same way the New York Yankees bought their World Series titles. At least when UND claimed their one and only D2 championship they did it on a level playing field.

Everybody played by the same rules just not every school had the quality of program NDSU had that recruits would flock to. NDSU bought nothing they just put themselves in a position to be successful by being the best DII program around. Cutting scholarship didn't level the playing field instead it just further watered down DII football by knocking the haves down to the level of the have nots.

Hammersmith
January 7th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I honestly don't know why I bother, but...

If the limit is 45 and you have the institutional and fanbase support to build a power program, why should you be penalized? That's what the scholarship reductions did. A forced movement to the middle. Perhaps a change in nomenclature is in order: The playing fields were level both before and after the change. The change itself was a flattening of the playing field. If you want the type of system you seem to favor, why don't you start advocating that UND move to DIII. If 36 is more fair than 45, then obviously 0 must be the best of all.

With that, I'm done. My blood pressure is high enough, thank you.:bang: :bang: :bang: :smiley_wi

GRZZ
January 7th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I agree, it seems to have penalized teams that were able to do 45 but weren't quite ready for 1-AA/FCS.

DaveK
January 7th, 2007, 02:08 AM

If the limit is 45 and you have the institutional and fanbase support to build a power program, why should you be penalized? That's what the scholarship reductions did. A forced movement to the middle. Perhaps a change in nomenclature is in order: The playing fields were level both before and after the change. The change itself was a flattening of the playing field. If you want the type of system you seem to favor, why don't you start advocating that UND move to DIII. If 36 is more fair than 45, then obviously 0 must be the best of all.

With that, I'm done. My blood pressure is high enough, thank you.:bang: :bang: :bang: :smiley_wi

Nowhere did I say that I think it was in the best interest of D2 football to reduce scholarships. I have actually gone on record as saying that I'm in favor of the upcoming move to D1-AA. I just think it's lame to use the schloarship reduction as an excuse for NDSU's decline in the early to mid '90s. The better programs did just fine playing by the rules that were in place.

BisBison
January 7th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Hammer, I don't know why you talk to that guy,xidiotx he's just baiting you up. He can't really be that stupid can he? Use your ignore feature, he's on mine, the only time some of his drivel sneaks onto my machine is when somebody quotes him. And that's enough for me to keep him on the ignore list.

No_Skill
January 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Hammer, I don't know why you talk to that guy,xidiotx he's just baiting you up. He can't really be that stupid can he? Use your ignore feature, he's on mine, the only time some of his drivel sneaks onto my machine is when somebody quotes him. And that's enough for me to keep him on the ignore list.

Ignore him...no way! You can't buy this kind of entertainment! :thumbsup:

GRZZ
January 7th, 2007, 11:37 PM
http://www.startribune.com/512/story/921355.html

Just another sports writer with speculation, but they mention the Hauck rumor at the end.

Rumors are rampant at the national coaches convention in San Antonio. Two names that have surfaced are Montana coach Bobby Hauck and TCU coach Gary Patterson. It's unclear whether either coach has been contacted.

Bison77
January 9th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I think DaveK is showing people what und is all about! xlolx xlolx

spelunker64
January 9th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Who's he, I don't see any of his posts...

zeke74
January 9th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Reading this thread has reminded me why I have grown to hate this rivalry. I wish things would change and und would stay DII so it could finally die and be buried. I thought we had gotten over it, but this thread has shown me that it will only get worse. I am contended with the friendly rivalry we have with SDSU, Cal Poly, and UCD where the smack comes one week a year and is left on the field saturday evening.

On to the topic of the thread I doubt that either Bohl or Hauck have a shot at this job, they will go with a Bowl Series coordinator.

NE MT GRIZZ
January 9th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I'd love to see Hauck leave. Maybe then the Griz could lure Dave Dickensen to run the show again in Montana, when they had a real offense!

GRZZ
January 10th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Hahahaha, makes you wonder how quickly some of the armchair quarterbacks would turn on him?

NE MT GRIZZ
January 10th, 2007, 09:39 AM
What has Hauck accomplished at Montana?
3 HOME playoff losses in four years, 2 in the first round.

That is unacceptable for Grizzly football.

putter
January 10th, 2007, 10:08 AM

You can certainly look at it that way. Most schools would have loved to have 3 playoff games in the last four years, let alone have a home game. No Griz fan likes to lose and certainly not at home but the other two were a NC and Semi game. Most programs would take that showing in a heartbeat. Shows you how expectations can get out of control.

JALMOND
January 10th, 2007, 11:16 AM
You can certainly look at it that way. Most schools would have loved to have 3 playoff games in the last four years, let alone have a home game. No Griz fan likes to lose and certainly not at home but the other two were a NC and Semi game. Most programs would take that showing in a heartbeat. Shows you how expectations can get out of control.

I would love to have a shot in the playoffs, especially this last year.

NE MT GRIZZ
January 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM
My frustration is that over the last 4 years the offensive play calling has seemed to get worse not better. With even an above average offense, Montana should have had the title in 2004 and maybe this year as well.
(App St. would have been very tough to beat):bang:

Cap'n Cat
January 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM
He has tentatively accepted the Minnesota job; Montana officials to announce search for replacement soon.

Cap'n Cat on short list for Griz position!!!!!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

JALMOND
January 10th, 2007, 12:03 PM
He has tentatively accepted the Minnesota job; Montana officials to announce search for replacement soon.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Someone call Dennis Erickson. Oh wait, he's a Bobcat.

NE MT GRIZZ
January 10th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Someone in Missoula call Dave Dickensen.
Do you think he would rather coach the Griz than play in the CFL?

lizrdgizrd
January 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Griz position, is that like doggie position? xazzx

You'd definitely *uck up their 14 straight playoffs! xlolx

Cap'n Cat
January 10th, 2007, 12:40 PM
You'd definitely *uck up their 14 straight playoffs! xlolx

Not The Cap'n. He is going to build His Griz squad on all Prop 48 Samoan transfers from the PAC 10.

lizrdgizrd
January 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Not The Cap'n. He is going to build His Griz squad on all Prop 48 Samoan transfers from the PAC 10.
That just might work!! :thumbsup:

If you can get them to go to Montana. xlolx

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Good Lord. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Crawl back into your hole. :thumbsup: :eyebrow:

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM
My frustration is that over the last 4 years the offensive play calling has seemed to get worse not better. With even an above average offense, Montana should have had the title in 2004 and maybe this year as well.
(App St. would have been very tough to beat):bang:

Son, ain't no way we were beatin' UMass on that fateful Friday Night. And App State would have run all over us. Face facts....xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

NE MT GRIZZ
January 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Because the Griz couldn't score any f#!@in' points because of an 8 page playbook!

In my other post I said App would be very tough to beat.
UMASS beat us by 2 points, what do you mean "ain't no way we were beatin" UMASS...."

THere is no way UMASS should have won in Missoula.

bison95
January 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
That just might work!! :thumbsup:

If you can get them to go to Montana. xlolx

Cappy will use the CU football recruiting guide:p

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Because the Griz couldn't score any f#!@in' points because of an 8 page playbook!

In my other post I said App would be very tough to beat.
UMASS beat us by 2 points, what do you mean "ain't no way we were beatin" UMASS...."

THere is no way UMASS should have won in Missoula.

Put down the bong.

Were you watching the same game as the rest of the nation? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Check out the stats. If we don't run that interception back for a TD, it's a 9-point game, and should have been more. I'm not THRILLED with the Griz playbook, but it's definitely better than last year or the year before. Still, we should be glad to get where we did, we got beat by the better team, who in turn got beat by the better team. Them's the facts.

Bison77
January 10th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Put down the bong.

Were you watching the same game as the rest of the nation? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Check out the stats. If we don't run that interception back for a TD, it's a 9-point game, and should have been more. I'm not THRILLED with the Griz playbook, but it's definitely better than last year or the year before. Still, we should be glad to get where we did, we got beat by the better team, who in turn got beat by the better team. Them's the facts.

I agree with you. The Griz D was very good but the O was average at best. The play calling leaves something to be desired. :eyebrow:

NE MT GRIZZ
January 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Guys, the play calling and lack of offense has been my main point for wanting Hauck to go. I can understand 1 or 2 down offensive years, but not 4. There has been plenty of time to fix the problem, and it hasn't happened.

I think bringing in Swogger this year was a big mistake and part of the problem. I don't like bringing in a guy for one year. You can't build any continuity in the program. Berquist could have gotten the Griz into the playoffs this year, probably with an earlier exit, but would have had a valuable year of experience under his belt, with 2 more years of eligiblity left.

I've lived in Wyoming for the past 4 years and the Cowboys have had 4 different QB's (2 Bramletts, Doss, and Sween) in that time. They are not going anywhere. I don't want the Griz to fall into that pattern.

AZGrizFan
January 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Guys, the play calling and lack of offense has been my main point for wanting Hauck to go. I can understand 1 or 2 down offensive years, but not 4. There has been plenty of time to fix the problem, and it hasn't happened.

I think bringing in Swogger this year was a big mistake and part of the problem. I don't like bringing in a guy for one year. You can't build any continuity in the program. Berquist could have gotten the Griz into the playoffs this year, probably with an earlier exit, but would have had a valuable year of experience under his belt, with 2 more years of eligiblity left.

I've lived in Wyoming for the past 4 years and the Cowboys have had 4 different QB's (2 Bramletts, Doss, and Sween) in that time. They are not going anywhere. I don't want the Griz to fall into that pattern.

Dude. In the past three years, Montana is 30-6. Based on last year's performance, there was no way I felt comfortable handing the team to Berquist this year. NOOOOOWWWW, with another year of seasoning, another year to learn the offense, and another year of maturity (as well as some fairly significant playing time this year) I think he's definitely ready. That was the problem with Washington, and somewhat the problem with Swogger (although he's a MUCH better athlete than Washington).

....................................GP Att Yards Lost Net Ave TD Long
Rushing: Cole Bergquist 9.. 25.. 152.. 42 .110 4.4.. 0.. 25
....................................GP Eff C-A-I %age Yds TD Long
Passing: Cole Bergquist 9 125.76 38-64-1 59.4 451 2 57

Berquist's efficiency was the same as Swoggers. We'll be fine in 2007. :thumbsup:

Edit: In looking at a little history, the Griz scored 20+ points in 10 of 14 games. They scored 30+ in 6 of 14 games, and exceed 50 points twice. I don't think the offense was as big a problem as you may think. Definitely could use some tweaking and upgrading, but not the albatross it was last year.

Cap'n Cat
January 10th, 2007, 04:19 PM

NE MT GRIZZ: the DaveK of the Big Sky??

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

NE MT,
It's one thing to be a good fan. It's quite another to be a Nazi about it all. All our teams take their lumps.

Co-signin' with AZGF on this one.

X______________________

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NE MT GRIZZ
January 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I apologize about being a little crazed. I'm new to this posting stuff and my emotions are getting the best of me. I promise to tone things down.

I'm a huge supporter of the Grizz and I wish only great things for the team and staff. When things go South the coach is an easy target.
I probably spouted off before thinking things all the way through.

AZGrizfan,
I guess we've been spoiled being Grizz fans lately. It's just tough when expectations fall a little short. My words were written in haste and I apologize to the Grizzly nation. Only positive comments from
NE MT GRIZZ from now on.

Cap'n Cat
January 10th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I apologize about being a little crazed. I'm new to this posting stuff and my emotions are getting the best of me. I promise to tone things down.

I'm a huge supporter of the Grizz and I wish only great things for the team and staff. When things go South the coach is an easy target.
I probably spouted off before thinking things all the way through.

AZGrizfan,
I guess we've been spoiled being Grizz fans lately. It's just tough when expectations fall a little short. My words were written in haste and I apologize to the Grizzly nation. Only positive comments from
NE MT GRIZZ from now on.

Hey, this is Ralph in disguise!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

The Sheriff
January 10th, 2007, 05:23 PM
DaveK doesn't speak on behalf of UND and its fans.

Cap'n Cat
January 10th, 2007, 05:25 PM
AZGrizfan,
NE MT GRIZZ from now on.

Hey, they don't ALL have to be positive, just thoughtful, balanced and in the proper tone.

Signed,
The King Of Thoughtfulness, Balance And Tone In Posting,

Cap'n Cat

NE MT GRIZZ
January 10th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Grasshopper will try to learn harmony from the wise ones.

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Hey, they don't ALL have to be positive, just thoughtful, balanced and in the proper tone.

Signed,
The King Of Thoughtfulness, Balance And Tone In Posting,

Cap'n Cat
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Grasshopper will try to learn harmony from the wise ones.
Just promise you'll read around a while before you decide who these "wise" ones are. :smiley_wi

NE MT GRIZZ
January 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Done

Gil Dobie
January 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Twin Cities media reported that Bohl has been contacted and can interview if he would like to pursue the postition. Hauck has not been contacted. Monte Kiffin's boy Lane, is the new hot guy on the list. Former Bloomington Jefferson (MN) star QB, and current USC Co-Offensive Coordinator.