PDA

View Full Version : CAA Thru 2 Weeks - What have we learned?

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 11th, 2016, 08:24 AM
My observations...

Richmond and JMU might be pretty good.

William and Mary has looked weaker than expected but i'm not ready to shovel dirt on the Tribe yet. Tough trip to NC State followed by a trip to Hampton. We struggled mightily at Hampton last year after our FBS game, as well. Tribe need to 'get right' on Norfolk State or they may have a disappointing season.

Towson might not be as good as I expected.

Albany might be much better than expected.

Elon might be historically bad.

Delaware might be improved but seems to be having some early injury issues?

I still think Villanova is going to be a playoff team in AT's final season but they need more balance on Offense.

Teams I don't have a read on yet - UNH, Maine, Stony Brook. Spiders' trip to Long Island next Saturday will be interesting.

Other observations?

Seawolf97
September 11th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Stonybrook cant generate any offense . I suspect Richmond will have an easy time wearing down our defense and taking control of the game early.

Gangtackle11
September 11th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Villanova played an uninspired game last night vs. Lehigh. Very fortunate to win 26-21.

Passed for 46 yards & ran for 396 to pull out the win. Kicking game continues to be a mess as missed both PAT attempts. Talley decided to go for 2 on the 2 other TDs. Also passed up a FG on 4&2 at Lehigh 3 with less than 2 minutes. Down 21-20 @ the time. It's a major problem & could cost them a game & playoffs somewhere.

Defense was exceptional @ Pitt was apparently reading their press clippings. They did little to bother Lehigh QB & played to a C grade.

This is a team that more than likely will be in a playoff fight with several CAA teams that can project out to 7 wins, but it's not a pretty team to watch currently.

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Delaware starting RB Wes Hills has a dislocated elbow, came out on first series last night

lost a starting DL and a starting OL in the opener....

they have tremendous depth on Defense, strength of the team to put it mildly and probably one of the best in all of FCS.... wait for it now

WR cant catch the ball, nothing different from last year

Walker the QB, looks better but see above comment, Jarmon has dropped to beautiful passes where he was wide open for 6

Wake Forest next week .... they will get a battle but we will struggle to score points

MR. CHICKEN
September 11th, 2016, 09:03 AM
.......DELAWARE DEFENSE.....STELLAR........AWK!
.......DELAWARE QB......IS SHOWIN' IMPROVEMENT........BRAWK!
.......DELAWARE RB'S.....JEFFERSON/RANDOLF...ARE THUNDERIN' HERD....WES HILLS...BAD LUCK/CHINA DOLL?......BUK BUK BUK BRAWK!
.......DELAWARE WR'S......DANTE CHERRY IS DUH REAL DEAL.........JARMON/PAPALE......SHOOD THINK 'BOUT......SOCCER.......AWK!
.......DELAWARE PUNT RETURNIN'......MO' SCARY...DAN...NIGHTMARE ON ELM.......BRAWK!
.......DELAWARE OL PUT GAME AWAY IN 4Q..................DOODLE-DOO!

KPSUL
September 11th, 2016, 09:13 AM
UNH got better as the game went on last night. The Freshmen, and redshirt Freshmen in the defensive secondary and the Sophomore QB Knight, all gained confidence. The next two games are against weaker opponents, but on the road. When UNH returns to play W&M on October 1st, I believe the team will be ready to play with anyone in the conference.

YoUDeeMan
September 11th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Richmond is the best we have...and they won't make the final.

JMU is beating up on crap teams...jury is out.

W&M needs to send their coach packing. Another average year for the Tribe. why do they accept mediocrity?

Towson...no one should be scared of them. Incomplete team at best.

Albany - nah. They won a game in which they were outplayed simply because the other team gave up the ball. Beating URI should not impress anyone.

Elon is an FCS bottom dweller.

UD's coach is an idiot, so if you can stop the run you can beat us.

Nova will go as far as their kicker goes...which is nowhere. Seriously, what college coach can't find a kicker that can make a PAT? Talley is supposed to be a genius (don't believe the hype), but he apparently doesn't believe you need a kicker.

Maine got abused...and forget the concept of offense up there.

UNH got abused...forget the concept of defense up there.

Stony Br00k - again...no offense.

The CAA is weak yet again. JMU can make some waves IF they can find a defense. UR will have to carry our flag because no other team can be considered elite on a national level, while a good portion of our teams might as well be playing in the Patriot League.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 11th, 2016, 09:58 AM

W&M needs to send their coach packing. Another average year for the Tribe. why do they accept mediocrity?

Albany - nah. They won a game in which they were outplayed simply because the other team gave up the ball. Beating URI should not impress anyone.

Nova will go as far as their kicker goes...which is nowhere. Seriously, what college coach can't find a kicker that can make a PAT? Talley is supposed to be a genius (don't believe the hype), but he apparently doesn't believe you need a kicker.

The CAA is weak yet again. JMU can make some waves IF they can find a defense. UR will have to carry our flag because no other team can be considered elite on a national level, while a good portion of our teams might as well be playing in the Patriot League.

A sobering assessment.

TribeNomad1
September 11th, 2016, 10:04 AM
A sobering assessment.

Only two games in, but not off the mark.

KPSUL
September 11th, 2016, 10:35 AM

A bunch of trite banality. (or in other words, useless B.S.)

wmmii
September 11th, 2016, 10:40 AM
W&M look awful against Hampton in first half and was inconsistent in the second half. The talent may be available but the players need to forget their press clippings as the expectations from last years team is not being matched by many of the same players this year. Laycock in post game said as much.

Anderson is not getting the job done at RB as his lack of practice and reps from injuries has him a step slow and lacking his explosiveness from last year. Think Funderburke is this years version of Anderson last year. Anderson last year took the starting RB away from the returning All CAA RB who was injured at beginning of season. We have the O-line for a good running game but not getting the job done. Laycock expects more from running game.

Cluley has not been as consistent as last year and needs to go thru his progressions better at times but was improved from N C State game. Still have odd issue of him and receiver not being on the same route at times.

Hampton first score came on blocked punt and getting the ball on our 9.

Defense did not stop the run in the first half and was not good at putting pressure on the QB. The D-line needs to step it up here. Sad when Hampton had more first downs and controlled time of possession. Surprising success with the safety positions as Parker (RFR) now has a pic in both games plus a pic by Lester who is the first true Freshman to play safety for Tribe since 2006.

It will be the UNH game before we can gauge this season IMO.

YoUDeeMan
September 11th, 2016, 10:57 AM
W&M look awful against Hampton in first half and was inconsistent in the second half. The talent may be available but the players need to forget their press clippings as the expectations from last years team is not being matched by many of the same players this year. Laycock in post game said as much.

Anderson is not getting the job done at RB as his lack of practice and reps from injuries has him a step slow and lacking his explosiveness from last year. Think Funderburke is this years version of Anderson last year. Anderson last year took the starting RB away from the returning All CAA RB who was injured at beginning of season. We have the O-line for a good running game but not getting the job done. Laycock expects more from running game.

Cluley has not been as consistent as last year and needs to go thru his progressions better at times but was improved from N C State game. Still have odd issue of him and receiver not being on the same route at times.

Hampton fist score came on blocked punt and getting the ball on our 9.

Defense did not stop the run in the first half and was not good at putting pressure on the QB. The D-line needs to step it up here. Surprising success with the safety positions as Parker (RFR) now has a pic in both games plus a pic by Lester who is the first true Freshman to play safety for Tribe since 2006.

It will be the UNH game before we can gauge this season IMO.

You lost last year to a one dimensional UD team that was abysmal - and we are talking all time abysmal, that matched you, and beat you, at what is supposed to be your strength. That game was no fluke. Your supposed strengths are not that strong. We beat you up in the trenches, and it was comical to watch Laycock REFUSE to adjust your defensive game plan as you went down swinging to a team whose quarterback only completed ONE TD pass the entire year. Hampton gave you a scare this weekend...HAMPTON. That should give you pause.

I wish you luck...and I root for all of the CAA teams. But the fact is that the CAA is a shell of what it used to be...and the 2016 version of the CAA isn't going to do anything collectively to strike much fear into opponents.

YoUDeeMan
September 11th, 2016, 11:15 AM
A bunch of trite banality. (or in other words, useless B.S.)

Well, when you only write 5 words in your initial statement, it is hard for you to call it useless BS. But, in this case, I'll accept your self-analysis.

Hey, perhaps you can add something useful...maybe you can try to articulate the details of the astonishingly effective performance of the UNH D against the mighty Aztechs (461 yards) and that offensive juggernaut knows as Holy Cross (498 yards). xeyebrowx

Cripes, Colgate (COLGATE for goodness sake...you know, one of those Patriot teams that I mentioned in my...ahem, accurate...post above) walked through your defense last year, so it looks like nothing has changed. xthumbsupx

wmmii
September 11th, 2016, 11:29 AM
You lost last year to a one dimensional UD team that was abysmal - and we are talking all time abysmal, that matched you, and beat you, at what is supposed to be your strength. That game was no fluke. Your supposed strengths are not that strong. We beat you up in the trenches, and it was comical to watch Laycock REFUSE to adjust your defensive game plan as you went down swinging to a team whose quarterback only completed ONE TD pass the entire year. Hampton gave you a scare this weekend...HAMPTON. That should give you pause.

I wish you luck...and I root for all of the CAA teams. But the fact is that the CAA is a shell of what it used to be...and the 2016 version of the CAA isn't going to do anything collectively to strike much fear into opponents.

No disagreement about our poor ability to stop the run and adjust either last year or now. Sadly our inability to stop the run goes back a few years. I think Laycock depends on his D coordinator who got promoted to that position for the 2014 season and is not getting the job done-not an excuse just background on what he should fix maybe. We had a great D coordinator, Bob Shoop, that moved on to the bigtime after 2010 and then his replacement left after 2013. Not very much creativity on the D.

Mattymc727
September 11th, 2016, 12:28 PM
UNH isn't terrible, just VERY young. They have the talent to compete but probably wont due to being so young. Not sure how we got so young but I guess some lean recruiting years will do that.

Richmond and JMU are the cream of the crop. UD and W&M could be. Then theres everyone else.

Mattymc727
September 11th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Also, the CAA went 7-0 yesterday against FCS opponents.

RootinFerDukes
September 11th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Also, the CAA went 7-0 yesterday against FCS opponents.

Aside from Elon losing to Gardner-Webb in week 1, we're undefeated against FCS. Most of us are playing cupcakes though so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

jmufan999
September 11th, 2016, 01:03 PM
(almost) everything i said about JMU in the offseason is coming true. almost.

it's one of the deepest and most talented JMU teams i've ever seen, other than the QB position. the RB group is ridiculous. Trai Sharpe, who was a highly touted prospect, is our #3 RB and is super talented. we're set there for years to come. the WR group is fantastic. the O-line is dominating, especially in the run game. the defense looks to be improved - swarm tackling and actually wrapping up. the offensive pace is less predictable: sometimes very fast, sometimes slower.

yes, i realize the competition isn't great. we'll obviously know more when CAA play starts. but i'm pleased. i don't know how long Houston will stick around (my guess is it will be 5 years or fewer), but i like what he's done.

Schor has played fairly well, a little better than i expected. he had a really nice passing TD yesterday that i didn't know he had in him. i still worry about what happens when teams start shutting down our run game. i also worry about his durability to hold up all season. call me a worrier.

oh, and Connor Mitch (the South Carolina transfer) looks god awful. maybe he's just not comfortable yet, but he doesn't appear to have any clue what's going on. don't look for him to replace Schor anytime soon.

Matt
September 11th, 2016, 01:07 PM
JMU @ Richmond will (probably) decide the CAA champ. I feel semi-good about that game, and certainly better than I did before the season, because we have looked pretty damn good against the run. If we make Schor have to beat us, we have a good shot.

KPSUL
September 11th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Well, when you only write 5 words in your initial statement, it is hard for you to call it useless BS. But, in this case, I'll accept your self-analysis.

Hey, perhaps you can add something useful...maybe you can try to articulate the details of the astonishingly effective performance of the UNH D against the mighty Aztechs (461 yards) and that offensive juggernaut knows as Holy Cross (498 yards). xeyebrowx

Cripes, Colgate (COLGATE for goodness sake...you know, one of those Patriot teams that I mentioned in my...ahem, accurate...post above) walked through your defense last year, so it looks like nothing has changed. xthumbsupx

10 words and a 2 letter abbreviation. OK, what the heck, with some reservation, I'll try to explain to you why you are dead wrong about UNH's 2016 defensive performance. SDSU just put 45 points on the board against Cal, they scored 31 against UNH. Donnel Pumphrey gained 98 yards against UNH, here's a write-up from ESPN about the Cal game: "It was very much the Donnel Pumphrey show, as SDSU's running back surpassed Marshall Faulk to become the school's all-time rushing leader (4,651 yards). Pumphrey gutted the California defense for 281 rushing yards and three touchdowns (the fifth best rushing performance in school history)" UNH forced the Aztecs to punt 8 times, they punted only 5 times against Cal.
UNH is breaking in 3 new Red Shirt and regular Freshmen starters in the secondary. They've got more to learn, but the progress has been excellent. There was obvious improvement during the 1st and 2nd of the HC game. HC QB Pujas is a very capable college QB. He picked us apart in the 1st half with his accuracy. The timing between Pujas and his receivers is excellent. There is no embarrassment giving up 28 points to a talented offense like that, and UNH's second half defensive is something to be proud of. I think that 28 points Holy Cross scored on UNH may be the fewest they score all season.

KPSUL
September 11th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Aside from Elon losing to Gardner-Webb in week 1, we're undefeated against FCS. Most of us are playing cupcakes though so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Not all "cupcakes are equal" Some of us are playing BIG cupcakes, others little
ones!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23507&stc=1

DallasSpider
September 11th, 2016, 07:59 PM
JMU @ Richmond will (probably) decide the CAA champ. I feel semi-good about that game, and certainly better than I did before the season, because we have looked pretty damn good against the run. If we make Schor have to beat us, we have a good shot.

Last year we did a good job of taking away the designed run game against JMU and Schor is a good athlete but not Vad passing or running. Repeat that (that offensive production won't hurt either xdrunkyx) and we have a good shot.

ElonFirefighter
September 11th, 2016, 08:01 PM
Elon might be historically bad.

How can you say that when Elon hasn't played a game yet this season? Or at least it would appear that the team hasn't shown up to a game yet this season

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 11th, 2016, 08:42 PM

This might be right but i must admit that i have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about the JMU game this year. We might win 10 but i've got a bad feeling about that one.

RootinFerDukes
September 11th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Not all "cupcakes are equal" Some of us are playing BIG cupcakes, others little
ones!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23507&stc=1

Nope. All cupcakes are created equal really. Outside of the top 50 in Fcs, most teams don't really put up much of a fight. Ccsu, morehead state, Norfolk state, Hampton. They're all the same cupcake.

RootinFerDukes
September 11th, 2016, 09:21 PM
This might be right but i must admit that i have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about the JMU game this year. We might win 10 but i've got a bad feeling about that one.

At minimum, there will be as many JMU fans at Robbins stadium as spider fans. That much I can say.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 11th, 2016, 09:25 PM
At minimum, there will be as many JMU fans at Robbins stadium as spider fans. That much I can say.

Your playbook has 1 page. Thatll work against you.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 12th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Hey, that one play worked pretty well against W&M in 2010 when they were the national #1! xlolx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 12th, 2016, 05:59 AM
I share the general feelings of sober reality regarding CAA football. As the ad once said, we're pretty good! We beat the weaker conferences, but in general our teams are saving $$ by playing these close regional games at the expense of testing ourselves against better competition to improve the conference as a whole. It kinda sucks, but it is where we are these days.

I expect another year with 4 or so playoff teams, but Richmond is definitely the most complete team. Yet still, I feel like they are living in the shadow of NDSU and the rest of the MVFC. We all are. The CAA is scheduling well to get teams in the playoffs, but I think it will be mostly Big Sky and MVFC teams in the later rounds.

tribefan40
September 12th, 2016, 06:06 AM

Meh. It's early. Go back and look at the results for last year. With the exception of the UR games, the UD game is the outlier. By a mile.

This year's team is breaking in an extremely young defense and has struggled to find a balance on offense, but the personnel is there. If the offense stays out of sync, there's nothing for the CAA to worry about. If it gets on track, the Tribe will be able to hang with anybody. We won't know anything until Harrisonburg on October 8.

KPSUL
September 12th, 2016, 06:09 AM

Maybe, but the JMU fans will have needed to have bought tickets by now. The place looked pretty full when I bought mine weeks ago.

KPSUL
September 12th, 2016, 06:43 AM
I share the general feelings of sober reality regarding CAA football. As the ad once said, we're pretty good! We beat the weaker conferences, but in general our teams are saving $$ by playing these close regional games at the expense of testing ourselves against better competition to improve the conference as a whole. It kinda sucks, but it is where we are these days.

I expect another year with 4 or so playoff teams, but Richmond is definitely the most complete team. Yet still, I feel like they are living in the shadow of NDSU and the rest of the MVFC. We all are. The CAA is scheduling well to get teams in the playoffs, but I think it will be mostly Big Sky and MVFC teams in the later rounds.

Many of the MVFC and Big Sky teams have virtually no nearby OOC opponents, consequently they have to travel far greater distances to play non-conference games. I've wondered why the Virginia schools don't play more Big South and SoCon OOC games. Liberty and WCU are a whole lot closer to Harrisonburg than CCSU or Morehead. Personally I like that UNH plays a couple regional opponents OOC each season. For the most part, we've stick with the traditionally stronger PL teams: Colgate, Lehigh and Holy Cross, and our only cross-state Rival, Dartmouth. It maintains some worthwhile historic regional competition and saves $$ in the process.

The CAA has been represented in the Semi-Finals and Finals as well as any conference during the reign of the Bison (discounting NDSU). And by the way, we face the same problem concerning regionalizing playoff brackets the MVFC fans bemoan constantly - CAA teams frequently eliminate other CAA team in the earlier rounds.

Matt
September 12th, 2016, 10:26 AM

Me too. They'll be out for blood after last year. And for some reason, we play better in Harrisonburg. Until 2010 (I think) there were like 8 straight years where neither team won at home. Strange rivalry.

hktribefan
September 12th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Tribe will be just fine. Defense is very young, but learning fast. NC State was a bad day against a good ACC team. Against Hampton, RB Anderson hurt himself a bit, and we were missing our new WR Christian who looks to be a threat similar to Dedmon. As far as our QB "Clueless" I'd look at the comparison of Week 2 performances with Lauletta (who FWIW I think is one of the top QBs in FCS):

Cluley (on the road): 19-33, 294 yards, 2 TDs
Lauletta (at home): 15-27, 216 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

I'm not saying Cluley should be in contention for the Payton award, but it's not like we have a doorstop under center. He makes some great plays, and as our running game gets stronger so will the pass game and total offense. Look forward to our November matchup with Richmond in a game I think will be for the CAA title.

Matt
September 12th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Maybe, but the JMU fans will have needed to have bought tickets by now. The place looked pretty full when I bought mine weeks ago.

We drastically limited away tickets for this one, so unless a lot of JMU folks bought their tickets secondhand, it will be 3-to-1 Spider fans. There will definitely be plenty of purple, though. Also, JMU fans, please dont be dicks and throw all your purple streamers in the lake like two years ago (and four years ago, and six years ago...). It kills the turtles!!

RootinFerDukes
September 12th, 2016, 10:47 AM
We drastically limited away tickets for this one, so unless a lot of JMU folks bought their tickets secondhand, it will be 3-to-1 Spider fans. There will definitely be plenty of purple, though. Also, JMU fans, please dont be dicks and throw all your purple streamers in the lake like two years ago (and four years ago, and six years ago...). It kills the turtles!!

I'm sorry someone threw streamers in that lake. UR has definitely gone out of their way to limit the amount of JMU fans that can show up to their stadium. Instead of welcoming additional revenue that helps to pay the bills, they downgrade their stadium size, they send communications to spider fans begging them to please buy extra tickets to keep them away from JMU fans, they even call something a sell out only for it to be decently empty on the day off. They even mark the cost of this game at $45 a seat originally. $45 for FCS football?! L-O-L
Like I said, we're basically free money every two years. They should be rolling out the red carpet.

Matt
September 12th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I'm sorry someone threw streamers in that lake. UR has definitely gone out of their way to limit the amount of JMU fans that can show up to their stadium. Instead of welcoming additional revenue that helps to pay the bills, they downgrade their stadium size, they send communications to spider fans begging them to please buy extra tickets to keep them away from JMU fans, they even call something a sell out only for it to be decently empty on the day off. They even mark the cost of this game at $45 a seat originally. $45 for FCS football?! L-O-L
Like I said, we're basically free money every two years. They should be rolling out the red carpet.

I was half-kidding. And yeah, you're pretty much spot on. Richmond is delusional about a lot of things (and recent events would indicate that those *things* are a lot more serious than attendance at games). I'm sure this was discussed at length at the time, but im new: moving on-campus was a massive mistake but no one will admit it. Not that Richmond needs the revenue from extra seats. It just totally killed the atmosphere. And unless the agreement with the neighborhood association around campus changes, the stadium will never grow.

Tribe4SF
September 12th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Tribe will be just fine. Defense is very young, but learning fast. NC State was a bad day against a good ACC team. Against Hampton, RB Anderson hurt himself a bit, and we were missing our new WR Christian who looks to be a threat similar to Dedmon. As far as our QB "Clueless" I'd look at the comparison of Week 2 performances with Lauletta (who FWIW I think is one of the top QBs in FCS):

Cluley (on the road): 19-33, 294 yards, 2 TDs
Lauletta (at home): 15-27, 216 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

I'm not saying Cluley should be in contention for the Payton award, but it's not like we have a doorstop under center. He makes some great plays, and as our running game gets stronger so will the pass game and total offense. Look forward to our November matchup with Richmond in a game I think will be for the CAA title.

Cluley was actually 20-34 for 302 against Hampton. Running game got spark when Albert Funderburke entered in 3rd quarter gaining 70 on five carries with a 40 yd. TD. With new faces all over the defense, it's hard to say whether Tribe can compete for CAA. NC State was good, and Hampton much improved over last year, but Tribe has yet to show consistency on either side of the ball or even in the kicking game. Only group that has lived up to hype so far is the receivers, especially Dedmon.

paward
September 12th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I was half-kidding. And yeah, you're pretty much spot on. Richmond is delusional about a lot of things (and recent events would indicate that those *things* are a lot more serious than attendance at games). I'm sure this was discussed at length at the time, but im new: moving on-campus was a massive mistake but no one will admit it. Not that Richmond needs the revenue from extra seats. It just totally killed the atmosphere. And unless the agreement with the neighborhood association around campus changes, the stadium will never grow.

I really would not be opposed to playing one game a year at City stadium. If that game is JMU so be it. There have been some exciting match ups between the two. Heck may even leave the lights on next CS visit. Only if we win.

ZableNoise
September 12th, 2016, 12:03 PM
I loved City Stadium and wish the Spiders would move back there. I'm not a big fan of Robins

DirtyDukes
September 12th, 2016, 12:41 PM
You guys played a team that had one practice that week because our Head Coach was already two feet out the door.

I'll never stop throwing streamers, but it's pretty pathetic that your "student section" throws red and blue ones.

I loved City Stadium and wish the Spiders would move back there. I'm not a big fan of Robins

Is anyone? Speaking with UR players they talk about how depressing it is to play there.

Matt
September 12th, 2016, 01:02 PM
I'll never stop throwing streamers, but it's pretty pathetic that your "student section" throws red and blue ones.

This is why you guys are the WVU of FCS. How do you even reconcile these statements? You're right about Robins Stadium, though.

KJArmstrong
September 12th, 2016, 01:09 PM
The W&M team has had some really good individual performances in the first two games. Our young redshirt freshmen and true freshman on defense have played well. With youth comes inconsitency. Dedmon offensively has really shined. Funderburke is ready if Anderson continues to struggle. There are skill players that can make an impact on the season.

There are three groups that will determine the fate of the Tribe. I believe both are very capable. The OL, DL and LB did get better week one to week two. They must continue to improve if the Tribe is going to have the success they'd like to have.

Richmond and JMU look unstoppable so far. Let's see how it ends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DirtyDukes
September 12th, 2016, 01:18 PM
This is why you guys are the WVU of FCS. How do you even reconcile these statements? You're right about Robins Stadium, though.

Your students copied a tradition we created, that's how I reconcile it. You'd think as a fan you'd want to discourage them from jocking our style, but I guess you're okay with it.

caribbeanhen
September 12th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Delaware Defense is real!

game on!

Matt
September 12th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Your students copied a tradition we created, that's how I reconcile it. You'd think as a fan you'd want to discourage them from jocking our style, but I guess you're okay with it.

LOL you guys created streamer throwing. Did you know Richmond invented cheering and applause?

MacThor
September 12th, 2016, 06:10 PM

Yes, JMU circled that one on their calendar about 7:30 PM on October 24, 2015.

Unfortunately, Withers tossed that calendar into his cardboard box on his way out...

MacThor
September 12th, 2016, 06:23 PM
You guys played a team that had one practice that week because our Head Coach was already two feet out the door.
We're making excuses for the College GameDay game now?

I'll never stop throwing streamers, but it's pretty pathetic that your "student section" throws red and blue ones. I hadn't noticed any streamers in our student section. Then again, I rarely notice any students in our student section either. [rimshot]

Is anyone? Speaking with UR players they talk about how depressing it is to play there.

City Stadium was worse for the players. Taking a bus to that dungeon locker room under the bleachers. Yech.
I know a few current players who like the on campus stadium and the pre-game walk. Given our success, they'd like to see better attendance - can't argue that.

MacThor
September 12th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Many of the MVFC and Big Sky teams have virtually no nearby OOC opponents, consequently they have to travel far greater distances to play non-conference games. I've wondered why the Virginia schools don't play more Big South and SoCon OOC games. Liberty and WCU are a whole lot closer to Harrisonburg than CCSU or Morehead. Personally I like that UNH plays a couple regional opponents OOC each season. For the most part, we've stick with the traditionally stronger PL teams: Colgate, Lehigh and Holy Cross, and our only cross-state Rival, Dartmouth. It maintains some worthwhile historic regional competition and saves $$ in the process.

The CAA has been represented in the Semi-Finals and Finals as well as any conference during the reign of the Bison (discounting NDSU). And by the way, we face the same problem concerning regionalizing playoff brackets the MVFC fans bemoan constantly - CAA teams frequently eliminate other CAA team in the earlier rounds.

I like that we have Sam Houston State on our schedule next year - should be a marquee non-conference game on the FCS slate.

Then again, it will be the first year in recent memory without an FBS game.

Terry2889
September 12th, 2016, 06:34 PM
My assessment:

UNH: If you are going to beat us you had better hurry it up and get in your fun this year. We are going to be very good in the second half of the season and murderous next year. I predict 7-4/ 6-5 and missing the playoffs

Villanova: Difficult to tell. Inept passing offense. Decent Defense

Maine: Who made their schedule? They are pretty good!

Albany: Much improved over last year. Possible playoff team.

Stoney Brook and Delaware: If you guys had any offense you'd be dangerous! But as it stands sub .500 teams.

JMU: I am actually not impressed at all... Yet. Playoffs just because its a down year for the CAA.

W&M: The definition of average. 7-4/ 6-5 when its all said and done.

Towson: The only thing worse than hate is indifference.... Nothing against you guys, I guess I just don't know... Or care : (

URI and Elon: If only Hofstra and Northeastern had kept football......

Richmond: Every bit as good as, and possibly better than NDSU at the moment. Unfortunately, from what I've seen NDSU might be the third best team in the MVFC.....

Wine: Heavily influenced this post!

Terry2889
September 12th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Oh and I just got done reading all of these posts... Cluck U is an angry little man... Don't worry Cluck U, Delaware will always be first in the most important stat in history: Ratifying the constitution!!! Again I'm inebriated....

Tribal
September 12th, 2016, 07:45 PM

And we shared the CAA Championship abd won a playoff game while your team was home. Think of how many teams, including yours, would've loved to have won a playoff game. Only 2...2 CAA teams accomplished that. That's mediocre? Ha ha

KPSUL
September 12th, 2016, 09:01 PM

Well if you wanted to eliminate all JMU students and alumni from purchasing tickets, all you'd have to do is replace that step where you have to identify the cap and lower case letters and write them in the block with the requirement to correctly spell a word from an 8th grade spelling bee. But I wouldn't be able to purchase Richmond home game tickets either!

Hanca
September 13th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Agree with comments about Robins stadium. UR struggled against Norfolk State for first half and never really looked sharp. Some of effort attributed to UVA hangover. Loss of starting running back, Collins, for season will hurt as only big back. CAA down, no doubt, from past. JMU may be best in conference but cannot tell yet due to patsies in first two games.

DoctorRemulak
September 13th, 2016, 01:29 PM
I'm conflicted about my Tigers right now. We lost big to what seems to be a strong USF team and though we took care of business against St. Francis, it took some serious magic to get it done. While I can certainly see why someone would already write us off, I still have faith.

Very anxious to get an update on starting QB/Oregon transfer Morgan Mahalak's injury. Last I heard he was in a sling on the sideline during the St. Francis game. The kid got no playing time at Oregon, so it would be a real shame to see an injury derail his first season as a starter. Thankfully, he still has two more years of eligibility remaining after this season. He's got to be the biggest transfer we've ever picked up and I know that our fans have been beyond excited about his potential.

YoUDeeMan
September 13th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Oh and I just got done reading all of these posts... Cluck U is an angry little man... Don't worry Cluck U, Delaware will always be first in the most important stat in history: Ratifying the constitution!!! Again I'm inebriated....

Inebriated...and felt the need to post. Project much? xlolx

YoUDeeMan
September 13th, 2016, 11:07 PM
And we shared the CAA Championship abd won a playoff game while your team was home. Think of how many teams, including yours, would've loved to have won a playoff game. Only 2...2 CAA teams accomplished that. That's mediocre? Ha ha

Celebrating squeaking by a weak 8-4 NEC Duquesne team...then a 35 point loss to Richmond? xeyebrowx

I realize the Tribe doesn't have much history to celebrate, but holy cow, let me know when your team becomes more than a nuisance once every 15 years.

BTW, the point of this thread is, and you unwittingly recognized it, that the CAA is weak. As you pointed out, only 2...2 CAA teams accomplished winning a playoff game last year. Thanks for the assist. xthumbsupx

Terry2889
September 14th, 2016, 05:52 AM
Inebriated...and felt the need to post. Project much? xlolx

xdrunkyx <---- Sadly this is an inaccurate emoji. I was inspired by wine that night! Thus me projecting my sincere appreciation for Delaware history : P

Terry2889
September 14th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Has anyone else thought to themselves how easily NDSU could be 0-3 after this weekend?

Gangtackle11
September 14th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Has anyone else thought to themselves how easily NDSU could be 0-3 after this weekend?I guess, but with that resume & strength of FCS/FBS opponents you got to continue to tip the hat to their program. Most of our programs do not have the intestinal fortitude to schedule like the Bison year in year out. There are some legit reasons why in the East mainly geographical proximity, but I doubt many, if any, of us in the CAA would be 2-0 with those 2 teams. An all-time great run on any level.

MR. CHICKEN
September 14th, 2016, 07:21 AM
I guess, but with that resume & strength of FCS/FBS opponents you got to continue to tip the hat to their program. Most of our programs do not have the intestinal fortitude to schedule like the Bison year in year out. There are some legit reasons why in the East mainly geographical proximity, but I doubt many, if any, of us in the CAA would be 2-0 with those 2 teams. An all-time great run on any level.

.....YES....GIVE DUH BIZONSSSS CREDIT.......DEY TAKE ON ALL COMERS.....xnodx....xbowx.....xnodx.......AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
September 14th, 2016, 07:50 AM
......IS DEY'RE UH CRICK......RUNNIN' THRU FARGO.......LIKE SIX FLAGS.......GEORGIA....xconfusedx.......AWK!

Sitting Bull
September 14th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Celebrating squeaking by a weak 8-4 NEC Duquesne team...then a 35 point loss to Richmond? xeyebrowx

I realize the Tribe doesn't have much history to celebrate, but holy cow, let me know when your team becomes more than a nuisance once every 15 years.

BTW, the point of this thread is, and you unwittingly recognized it, that the CAA is weak. As you pointed out, only 2...2 CAA teams accomplished winning a playoff game last year. Thanks for the assist. xthumbsupx

W&M has the majority of its history in major college football, including one of the top ten upsets of all time (1967 vs Navy), a bowl win over Oklahoma State, Marv Levy, Lou Holtz and several All Americans (also 18 clobberings of Virginia Tech).

Quite different than the Pop Warner history of Delaware football of which they have now managed to reach irrelevant status.

KPSUL
September 14th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Playing tough FCS opponents is a very recent thing for NDSU. In 2012 they played Robert Morris and PV A&M, 2013 Ferris State and Delaware St., 2014 They did play the first of their Home and home 2 game series with Montana, but they also played Incarnate Word and Weber State. Last year they played in-state North Dakota, Weber State, and Montana, but did not have an FBS game.

WMTribe90
September 14th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I thought WM was overhyped in the preseason and should not have been preseason top 10, mainly due to question marks on defense. We lost six starters off an average defense, including two guys that landed in the NFL.

Special teams and offense should be the strengths of this squad, but both have been slow/inconsistent out of the gates.

All is not lost though. The second half of Hampton was our best looking football to date. I think that Cluley and the OL will ultimately play up to their potential and this offense should be dynamic with great run/pass balance.

Success of season will ultimately rest with the defense. And success of defense will hinge on development of young/inexperienced players in the front seven. There is some good young talent there that has already shown improvement from week one to week two. There are no first or second team all-CAA defenders in that front seven group, but there is solid depth and young players with big upside. Key will be to win and survive early, stay healthy, and let these guys develop/improve with game snaps.

Biggest issue has been pass rush. We have shown little ability to pressure the QB with just our DL.

In the end, I see a similar result to last year. Win 7 or 8 games in the regular season, with several close games. And a first or second round playoff exit.

WrenFGun
September 14th, 2016, 02:29 PM
UNH is sort of an interesting spot, as some have mentioned. The defense has been better than expected, allowing just 31 points to an SDSU team that dropped 45 on CAL last weekend, and then struggling in the first half due to scheme and a poor corner opposite of DeAndrade before allowing 7 points in the final three quarters. UNH's big issue right now is that there 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes (2013 in particular) were fairly mediocre. As a result you're seeing a lot of FR, R-FR and R-SO play. There are also two true juniors playing, so the vast majority of players they have have been in the system for three years or less, as opposed to 4 or 5.

Like last year, the interesting thing with UNH, as always, is their schedule. They play and will likely be favored against Rhode Island, Elon, Dartmouth and are probably reasonable coinflips against Albany, Maine, Stony Brook and Towson. That's 7 winnable games remaining, so if they win 6 of those, they're at least 7-4 and maybe in the mix for a playoff spot. Obviously if they beat W&M or JMU it's gravy, but the schedule will keep them in it for long after their experience might.

Gangtackle11
September 14th, 2016, 02:53 PM
In the end, I see a similar result to last year. Win 7 or 8 games in the regular season, with several close games. And a first or second round playoff exit.I think there are several CAA teams hoping they are in the same boat including my 'Cats!

Gangtackle11
September 14th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Scary thing & somewhat unexplainable to me is Dartmouth is a 9 point fav over UNH in the betting world.

DirtyDukes
September 14th, 2016, 03:18 PM
LOL you guys created streamer throwing.

We did, here's an article from 83 talking about it. Show me other sports teams that threw that before us.

http://commons.lib.jmu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1228&context=i19801989

Did you know Richmond invented cheering and applause?

You guys also invented downsizing your stadium after winning a National Championship because you were tired of JMU bringing more fans than you did to City Stadium. Unfortunately, we still do at the breadbox.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 14th, 2016, 06:03 PM
JMU invented the concept of building a half stadium to catch the eye of an FBS conference while not really being interested in catching the eye of an FBS conference.

I would say that JMU also invented the concept of having the most subsidized athletic department in the entire country but i remembered that's just a recent thing.

We could go on an on with this and i'm open to it.

/cues up pathetic JMU endowment and pathetic JMU Duke Club donation statistics/

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 14th, 2016, 06:06 PM
I thought WM was overhyped in the preseason and should not have been preseason top 10, mainly due to question marks on defense. We lost six starters off an average defense, including two guys that landed in the NFL.

Special teams and offense should be the strengths of this squad, but both have been slow/inconsistent out of the gates.

All is not lost though. The second half of Hampton was our best looking football to date. I think that Cluley and the OL will ultimately play up to their potential and this offense should be dynamic with great run/pass balance.

Success of season will ultimately rest with the defense. And success of defense will hinge on development of young/inexperienced players in the front seven. There is some good young talent there that has already shown improvement from week one to week two. There are no first or second team all-CAA defenders in that front seven group, but there is solid depth and young players with big upside. Key will be to win and survive early, stay healthy, and let these guys develop/improve with game snaps.

Biggest issue has been pass rush. We have shown little ability to pressure the QB with just our DL.

In the end, I see a similar result to last year. Win 7 or 8 games in the regular season, with several close games. And a first or second round playoff exit.

Regarding the Tribe, your point about the defense losing all the starters was a bit lost on me. Good insight. That said, the start of the season has been very difficult. Rocco talked extensively after the UVA game about how glad he was that, this year, we got a home game after the BCS game ... and how difficult it was last year to get up for the road Hampton game after a trip to Maryland.

I would expect the Tribe to 'get well' on NSU this week. Unfortunately, i don't think you'll have a great feel on where you are until 10/1 at UNH.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 14th, 2016, 06:12 PM
JMU Football: "3 playoff wins (including a pig tail in 2011) over 11 seasons but still way too big for the FCS"

Gangtackle11
September 14th, 2016, 06:33 PM
JMU Football: "3 playoff wins (including a pig tail in 2011) over 11 seasons but still way too big for the FCS"

May be why they are still here?

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 14th, 2016, 06:38 PM
May be why they are still here?

They're still here because of the financial statistics that I said I had cued up. For instance, JMU generates close to 5000 graduates per year but collected roughly $2.5m in Duke Club donations last year. Truly pathetic stuff.

RootinFerDukes
September 14th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Care to share the athletic financials of UR? You know, for some semblance of an apples to apples comparison?

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 14th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Care to share the athletic financials of UR? You know, for some semblance of an apples to apples comparison?

Sure. We have roughly 1/10th the number of students and, subsequently, # of alumni. Despite these numbers, the Spider Club racked up roughly 3/4 of what the Duke Club did last year (roughly $2.5m to roughly $1.7m)

Also, we have roughly half the athletic budget of JMU and collect no fees mandated on state taxpayer/attendees.

We have 11 playoff wins during the period that i cherry picked, play in a basketball conference that actually generates TV revenue and made the Sweet 16 in 2011. We also more than doubled the JMU average attendance in basketball last year, despite the deficit in student and alumni #.

Basketball attendees last year:

Richmond had 102,000
JMU had 54,000

Football attendees last year:

JMU had 136,000 (7 games)
Richmond had 48,000 (6 games)

Between the two revenue sports, Richmond had 150,000 last year and JMU had 190,000. Pretty remarkable numbers given the fact one school is 1/10th the size of the other.

BUT STREAMERS!!!

KPSUL
September 14th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Scary thing & somewhat unexplainable to me is Dartmouth is a 9 point fav over UNH in the betting world.

Isn't that 9 points just the Massey crap? Not a betting line.

Gangtackle11
September 14th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Isn't that 9 points just the Massey crap? Not a betting line.

Its the betting line from: https://www.5dimes.eu/livelines/livelines.aspx#al_29

check College Extras

Now Dartmouth -7

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 14th, 2016, 08:19 PM
I was pretty surprised by the HC v Albany line too. Not much respect for the upstart Great Danes.

RootinFerDukes
September 15th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Sure. We have roughly 1/10th the number of students and, subsequently, # of alumni. Despite these numbers, the Spider Club racked up roughly 3/4 of what the Duke Club did last year (roughly $2.5m to roughly $1.7m)

Also, we have roughly half the athletic budget of JMU and collect no fees mandated on state taxpayer/attendees.

We have 11 playoff wins during the period that i cherry picked, play in a basketball conference that actually generates TV revenue and made the Sweet 16 in 2011. We also more than doubled the JMU average attendance in basketball last year, despite the deficit in student and alumni #.

Basketball attendees last year:

Richmond had 102,000
JMU had 54,000

Football attendees last year:

JMU had 136,000 (7 games)
Richmond had 48,000 (6 games)

Between the two revenue sports, Richmond had 150,000 last year and JMU had 190,000. Pretty remarkable numbers given the fact one school is 1/10th the size of the other.

BUT STREAMERS!!!

I get that you're private, so you don't have to follow state accounting regulations and can really allocate your budget however you want and not even have to publicly display said budget but if the spider club generates 1.7M per year and your budget is "roughly half" (thanks for the specific number) that's what, 20M? So where's the other 18M coming from if students don't pay any athletic fees like you claim?

The money's coming from somewhere. I doubt TV revenue is that lucrative in the increasingly relevant A10 basketball conference.

Catsfan90
September 15th, 2016, 08:48 AM

check College Extras

Now Dartmouth -7
I brought this up on the UNH board. Those lines are set based on Dartmouth's last years performance. Last year they went 9-1, and were pretty dominant. Since they haven't played a game yet, all anyone has to go off is preseason. If last year's Dartmouth team played this year's UNH team theyed kick the crap out of them. But they lost a starting QB, and are untested this year. I'll take that spread.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 15th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I get that you're private, so you don't have to follow state accounting regulations and can really allocate your budget however you want and not even have to publicly display said budget but if the spider club generates 1.7M per year and your budget is "roughly half" (thanks for the specific number) that's what, 20M? So where's the other 18M coming from if students don't pay any athletic fees like you claim?

The money's coming from somewhere. I doubt TV revenue is that lucrative in the increasingly relevant A10 basketball conference.

The quick answer: It doesn't matter. It's the school's decision how to spend money and not a legislative body's decision.

I would surmise UR Athletics actual (ticket selling, partnership, guarantee, tv money, NCAA basketball unit) revenue is about half its $25m budget. The rest is kicked in from an endowment that generates more income in a single year than JMU has in Endowment Principal.

DallasSpider
September 15th, 2016, 11:53 AM

check College Extras

Now Dartmouth -7

This continues to be an interesting matchup for me. As UNH posters continue to point out this Dartmouth team lost a ton of production and is untested. However, they have also had to several more weeks to scout and game plan UNH's current team and strategies. UNH also no film of Dartmouth's current team which is understatedly important as every year teams change to fit player's strengths and weaknesses. Where UNH advantages lies is that they have had two weeks to adjust their own game plan as they have seen their players in action against strong opposition. Can't say why the line has Dartmouth at -7 but unless the new players at Dartmouth just can't matchup (remains to be seen), I do think this is a close and competitive game.

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2016, 02:14 PM
W&M has the majority of its history in major college football, including one of the top ten upsets of all time (1967 vs Navy), a bowl win over Oklahoma State, Marv Levy, Lou Holtz and several All Americans (also 18 clobberings of Virginia Tech).

Quite different than the Pop Warner history of Delaware football of which they have now managed to reach irrelevant status.

I'm with Cluck on your Coach... No way you should of lost to Delaware last year...

GannonFan
September 15th, 2016, 03:52 PM
We did, here's an article from 83 talking about it. Show me other sports teams that threw that before us.

http://commons.lib.jmu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1228&context=i19801989

You guys also invented downsizing your stadium after winning a National Championship because you were tired of JMU bringing more fans than you did to City Stadium. Unfortunately, we still do at the breadbox.

Actually, they had been throwing streamers at the Palestra during Big 5 games (nova, LaSalle, Temple, St Joe's and Penn) since the 1950's, or about 30 years before JMU started doing it.

http://deadspin.com/streamers-return-to-the-palestra-for-the-first-time-in-1667733325

bostonspider
September 15th, 2016, 04:39 PM
The quick answer: It doesn't matter. It's the school's decision how to spend money and not a legislative body's decision.

I would surmise UR Athletics actual (ticket selling, partnership, guarantee, tv money, NCAA basketball unit) revenue is about half its $25m budget. The rest is kicked in from an endowment that generates more income in a single year than JMU has in Endowment Principal.

Don't forget UR Athletics has a $200M endowment of their own. 5% of that a year is $10M...

Dane96
September 15th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I was pretty surprised by the HC v Albany line too. Not much respect for the upstart Great Danes.

Until we find a QB worth a s#*t, we are suspect...a paper tiger. I still think we are two years away from making real noise.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 15th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Don't forget UR Athletics has a $200M endowment of their own. 5% of that a year is $10M...

Damn. That's right. Our athletics endowment is twice their entire University endowment. I had forgotten about that.

BUT STREAMERS!!

RootinFerDukes
September 15th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Damn. We need to start charging that Spider private university tuition to make up the difference.
What's the student loan debt rate at UR now, assuming mommy and daddy can't foot the whole bill? 40k? More?
I'd say that's double. Speaking of doubling figures.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 15th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Damn. We need to start charging that Spider private university tuition to make up the difference.
What's the student loan debt rate at UR now, assuming mommy and daddy can't foot the whole bill? 40k? More?
I'd say that's double. Speaking of doubling figures.

I'll leave the answer on this to Boston because he's up on this but your response is so pathetically typical.

You asked me a question. I responded. You're justifiably embarassed by the response and lash out in one of the three ways you know how.

BUT STREAMERS.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 15th, 2016, 08:06 PM
This was actually alot easier to find than I expected.

Average 4 year loan debt at UR: $25k

Average 4 year loan debt at JMU: $26k

Please keep asking me these questions about numbers. It has been fun.

BUT STREAMERS?

spdram
September 15th, 2016, 08:11 PM
http://ticas.org/posd/map-state-data-2015#overlay=posd/state_data/2015/va

here's the numbers for 2014 - UR pretty favorable, better than JMU

My recollection is UR has about 100 athletic scholarships specifically endowed

Terry2889
September 15th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Damn. That's right. Our athletics endowment is twice their entire University endowment. I had forgotten about that.

BUT STREAMERS!!

UNH has a $300 million endowment... And we still needed to raise private donations funds just to start construction on our new facility. This year alone we fundraised at least $5million for athletics due to the collective excitement over the football stadium. For years our marketing and alumni relations departments have been so bad that people who were itching to give simply didn't know who to go to. Once there was a vision and a plan people (including myself) gladly opened their checkbooks. Hopefully this trend will continue.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 15th, 2016, 08:18 PM
^^We spent $25-30m on our stadium and , I believe, at least half was private donations.

UNH Stadium looks great. I can't wait to check it out.

Terry2889
September 15th, 2016, 09:08 PM
^^We spent $25-30m on our stadium and , I believe, at least half was private donations.

UNH Stadium looks great. I can't wait to check it out.

It reminds me a lot of Robbins actually. You'll notice that the away side needs to be dressed up to match the new grand stand which is kind of annoying.

JMU2004
September 15th, 2016, 10:18 PM
This was actually alot easier to find than I expected.

Average 4 year loan debt at UR: $25k

Average 4 year loan debt at JMU: $26k

Please keep asking me these questions about numbers. It has been fun.

BUT STREAMERS?

Lol. I laugh at UR joking about $$$. The school wouldn't exist w/o the Robins gift.

But hey! Our endowment is 2.3 billion today. Nevermind the seed money that kept our doors open after we were bankrupt.

JMU is a state school who educates 4X he students with less than 5% of UR's resources.

BUT $$$$?

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 15th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Lol. I laugh at UR joking about $$$. The school wouldn't exist w/o the Robins gift.

But hey! Our endowment is 2.3 billion today. Nevermind the seed money that kept our doors open after we were bankrupt.

JMU is a state school who educates 4X he students with less than 5% of UR's resources.

BUT $$$$?

Can you actually dispute any of my numbers?

As it boils down to the purpose of this message board, can you address the deal with being too big for the FCS but only having 3 playoff wins (including the pigtail in 2011) over more than a decade?

JMU2004
September 15th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Can you actually dispute any of my numbers?

As it boils down to the purpose of this message board, can you address the deal with being too big for the FCS but only having 3 playoff wins (including the pigtail in 2011) over more than a decade?

Don't need to dispute them. The numbers you quote are meaningless when you get 100+ mm off your endowment every year. You spread that among a school less than 1/5th the size of JMU. Don't act like you are a beacon of alumni support. UR exists ONLY because of what was the single largest gift in the history of higher ed.

JMU wasn't even a university when UR was saved in 1969. Seems we have caught up pretty quickly to a school that has far more history and 25 times the resources. It really seems to bother ya'll. Kind of reeks of a complex.

And regarding FCS, yes, we are too big. Being too big doesn't necessarily mean you are too good for FCS, it just means you don't look like an FCS school. Your own stadium is evidence of that. We draw your entire season home attendance in about 2 home games.

DallasSpider
September 16th, 2016, 12:13 AM

BUT $$$$?

Educates is a strong word friend

Stonewall D
September 16th, 2016, 01:18 AM
There is no need to insult JMU and it's alums. JMU is a fine school

Tribe4SF
September 16th, 2016, 06:01 AM
Good God! Take it to CSNbbs and the Spiders Rivals board.xbangx

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 16th, 2016, 08:24 AM

I started this thread. That certainly affords me the privilege to sink it to the bottom of the ocean too, right? xdrunkyx

ZableNoise
September 16th, 2016, 11:35 AM

I think we can all agree that both schools are just perfectly awful.

bostonspider
September 16th, 2016, 11:42 AM
I think we can all agree that both schools are just perfectly awful.
Though both schools also have that national title that so far has proven so elusive to the Tribe...

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 16th, 2016, 11:55 AM
I've learned that the Virginia schools fans bases don't seem to get along

RootinFerDukes
September 16th, 2016, 11:57 AM

You should see us with ODU. We're tamest with WM. In my travels, the Tribe fans are the most respectful.

flyrod
September 16th, 2016, 12:02 PM
You should see us with ODU. We're tamest with WM. In my travels, the Tribe fans are the most respectful.

+1

Tribe4SF
September 16th, 2016, 12:12 PM

Except for the Tribe. We get along with everybody! (Except UVA) :D

- - - Updated - - -

I started this thread. That certainly affords me the privilege to sink it to the bottom of the ocean too, right? xdrunkyx

LOL! Mission accomplished!

Thumper 76
September 16th, 2016, 12:13 PM
I am sincerely enjoying the CAA smack talk. Truly entertaining. Please continue :D

Gangtackle11
September 16th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I have to respect the healthy dislike between the 3 CAA schools down Virginia way. Not like I'm fond of any dirty bird from New-ark!! BRAWK!!

RootinFerDukes
September 16th, 2016, 12:37 PM
I have to respect the healthy dislike between the 3 CAA schools down Virginia way. Not like I'm fond of any dirty bird from New-ark!! BRAWK!!

I'm not fond a blue chick either. You know what, screw the whole CAA! xlolx

Well... except for Rhode Island.

ysubigred
September 16th, 2016, 12:41 PM
xsmiley_wixYour conference ain't what it used to be xbeerchugx

Gangtackle11
September 16th, 2016, 01:06 PM

You are right. We're pitiful with 6 teams in this week's AGS Top 25 & 8 in the top 32. Horrible just horrible.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 16th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Though both schools also have that national title that so far has proven so elusive to the Tribe...

ZING!

Bottom line: Nobody hates the Tribe because nobody hates the Eagle Scout that never got laid.

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2016, 01:32 PM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23542&stc=1.......GIMME BACK...DUH REPPIES.....&...UH...ER....UMMM......AH TOOK TOWSON....IN DUH CAA WEEK #3....PICK 'EMS..........xnodx......AWK!

ZableNoise
September 16th, 2016, 02:21 PM
ZING!

Bottom line: Nobody hates the Tribe because nobody hates the Eagle Scout that never got laid.

It's how we earned the nickname "The School Too Busy (Studying) to Hate"

KPSUL
September 16th, 2016, 07:16 PM

And your team sure ain't what it used to be!

Gangtackle11
September 17th, 2016, 08:30 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23542&stc=1.......GIMME BACK...DUH REPPIES.....&...UH...ER....UMMM......AH TOOK TOWSON....IN DUH CAA WEEK #3....PICK 'EMS..........xnodx......AWK!

Come on Mr. Chicken just poking at you.....I'm looking forward to 11/19 game. Over/under total passing is 100 yards for both teams!

Terry2889
September 17th, 2016, 02:09 PM
My assessment:

UNH: If you are going to beat us you had better hurry it up and get in your fun this year. We are going to be very good in the second half of the season and murderous next year. I predict 7-4/ 6-5 and missing the playoffs

Villanova: Difficult to tell. Inept passing offense. Decent Defense

Maine: Who made their schedule? They are pretty good!

Albany: Much improved over last year. Possible playoff team.

Stoney Brook and Delaware: If you guys had any offense you'd be dangerous! But as it stands sub .500 teams.

JMU: I am actually not impressed at all... Yet. Playoffs just because its a down year for the CAA.

W&M: The definition of average. 7-4/ 6-5 when its all said and done.

Towson: The only thing worse than hate is indifference.... Nothing against you guys, I guess I just don't know... Or care : (

URI and Elon: If only Hofstra and Northeastern had kept football......

Richmond: Every bit as good as, and possibly better than NDSU at the moment. Unfortunately, from what I've seen NDSU might be the third best team in the MVFC.....

Wine: Heavily influenced this post!

Further Proof that I am, in fact, a bonafide idiot.....xconfusedx

tribe_pride
September 17th, 2016, 08:06 PM

So how did the Virginia CAA schools do this week xsmiley_wix

Mattymc727
September 17th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Just dropping in to let you know that UNH may not win a CAA game this year. Also, Terry is an idiot, UNH will not be murderous next year or the year after either

NHwildEcat
September 17th, 2016, 09:32 PM
Coach Mac botched the 4th Q tonight...he needs to stop ****ing with the QB's. Leave Knight in always...Riese is not worth playing.

WrenFGun
September 17th, 2016, 09:51 PM
It's not that he put Riese in -- if Knight was legitimately hurt, it's fine -- but then why could Knight play HALFWAY through the final series? Baffling.

McDonnell has always gotten away with some brutal decisions by having players that would run through the wall for him, but it's starting to catch up with him as the poor recruiting classes compound the poor coaching. No amount of running through walls can make up for how poor the senior and junior classes are, nor the poor in-game coaching on a regular basis.

NHwildEcat
September 17th, 2016, 10:05 PM
It's not that he put Riese in -- if Knight was legitimately hurt, it's fine -- but then why could Knight play HALFWAY through the final series? Baffling.

McDonnell has always gotten away with some brutal decisions by having players that would run through the wall for him, but it's starting to catch up with him as the poor recruiting classes compound the poor coaching. No amount of running through walls can make up for how poor the senior and junior classes are, nor the poor in-game coaching on a regular basis.

My thinking is that if Knight was hurt bad enough to miss that much time, it makes no sense that he all of a sudden is healed enough to jump back in on a 4th down play. Maybe he had a stinger, and then they left him out because they felt in control...until Dartmouth hit them in the mouth- then it was too late.

RootinFerDukes
September 17th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Anyone have an assessment of our game against unc. I'm feeling proud of the offense and ashamed by the defense and still know nothing about my team through three weeks.

Catsfan90
September 18th, 2016, 06:32 AM
My thinking is that if Knight was hurt bad enough to miss that much time, it makes no sense that he all of a sudden is healed enough to jump back in on a 4th down play. Maybe he had a stinger, and then they left him out because they felt in control...until Dartmouth hit them in the mouth- then it was too late.
Not sure if it's connected, but he was getting worked on the table for a bit. Looked like his groin was bother him. That was earlier in the game though.

MR. CHICKEN
September 18th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Come on Mr. Chicken just poking at you.....I'm looking forward to 11/19 game. Over/under total passing is 100 yards for both teams!

.......AH WAS KIDDIN' ALSO.........SHOODAH SMILED @ POSTS END....:)xhighfivex:)....BRAWK!

SpiderSafety75
September 18th, 2016, 07:35 AM
I love the concept that UR would make a 'stadium decision' with the concept of 'keeping away JMU fans' as its centerpiece. xeyebrowx

If UR was to build an on-campus stadium, it was going to have to be small, because the powerful lobby of neighbors weren't going to allow anything else, not to mention the access and egress issues of the campus. Since you've obviously been there, DirtyDukes, imagine 3 or 4 times the attendance parking on and then trying to leave the wooded confines of UR's pathetic little campus.

The enmity between the Dukes and the Spiders began when JMU hired Lefty Driesell to bring in a bunch of ringers after he was fired at Maryland to build up the Dukes' basketball program into a national power. It didn't work, but it did spark a rivalry between the little private school and the bigger school wanting to be genuine big-time.

I don't think that many Spider fans genuinely hate JMU, but when some folks start trashing our fans for 'non support', etc, that does raise the hackles. We're a little bitty school, smaller than most on even this smaller footprint. I don't like the lack of student support or local media coverage or that the local fans seem to be locked in more on what Tech or UVa does, but I don't lose any sleep over it, either. There are few things more pathetic that a sports fan railing about 'lack of respect' or thumping their chest over their 'superiority of program' - it speaks to an insecurity that is anything but attractive, but all too common.

Spider fans are licking their wounds today after yesterday's humiliation/wake-up call, but the loyal ones will be there Saturday rooting on the team. And that's all I care about.

MR. CHICKEN
September 18th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Anyone have an assessment of our game against unc. I'm feeling proud of the offense and ashamed by the defense and still know nothing about my team through three weeks.

.....WE ALL GOT OURAH PROBLEMS DOOKIE.......xrolleyesx.......AWK!

caribbeanhen
September 18th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Mr Chicken, despite our fans repeated requests for Brock to go out and find a receiver or dos, he didn't do doodley squat..... how can this be?

MR. CHICKEN
September 18th, 2016, 08:14 AM
........YES MON.....DUH SELF IMPOSED X-FER RULE.....IS JES' TOTALY INSANE....AH PEEPED IN ON SEVERAL FCS'S YESTERDAY.......ISUR/E. ILL........DAYTON/DUQUESNE..ETC........TALKIN' HEADS....RATTLED OFF SO MANY PLAYERS WHOM HAD X-FER IN........EVERAH-ONE IS DOIN' IT...C'MON BROCK.....WATCHED LAST NIGHT ON DUH 3.........NO IMAGINATION IN PLAY CALLIN'.....HE HAD OURAH OFFENSE....RUN INTA STRENGTH UH DEACONS DEFENSE....NO MIS-DIRECTION....TA HELP WHIFF PURSUIT.....NOT ONE TRICK PLAY......OH DAT'S RIGHT...CHERRY CAIN'T THROW TA CHERRY.....WE WERE SO VANILLAH....xboringx....BEN & JERRY.....TOOK IT OUTTAH DEY'RE PRODUCT LINE........LOOKED LIKE SAME GAME PLAN....AS LAST YEARS RHODEY FIASCO.....WHO'S RESPONSIBLE FO' INKIN'...NORFF DAKOTAH STATE?........BIZONSSSS........WOOD HANG UH L ON WAKE....AS BAD AS DEY BEAT US....xbangxxmadxxpissedxxsplatxxpissedxxmadxxbang x.................BYE BYE xcoachxBRAWK!

caribbeanhen
September 18th, 2016, 08:16 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MR. CHICKEN again.

MR. CHICKEN
September 18th, 2016, 08:47 AM
........CARIB......SEE MAH POST.....IN DUH LOUNGE.......PAUL MCCARTNEY THREAD.......YER THOUGHTS?......DOODLE-DOO!

UNHWildcat18
September 18th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Beating UR is pretty simple, once lolly boy throws a single INT its like the defense has lead in their shoes, the WR's lost 4 fingers and lolly throws another 2 picks at least. If he doesn't have a 350 yard 4 TD day it's like the team forgets how to play, complete implosion.

Gangtackle11
September 18th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Well ladies & gents there is now no clear favorite in the CAA.

Dane96
September 18th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Well ladies & gents there is now no clear favorite in the CAA.

I think JMU is the clear favorite after watching them yesterday. Loss is a loss...but right now their offense is on a different level then the rest of the league. They average nearly 400 on the ground.

That SBU held Richmond to minimal points was not surprising to me. That SBU scored 40+ was a HUGE surprise to me.

I wasn't overly impressed with either 'Nova or Towson...but I thought 'Nova controlled that game. UNH (forgetting the loss) looked slow and had a vanilla offense.

Catsfan90
September 18th, 2016, 09:47 AM
I think JMU is the clear favorite after watching them yesterday. Loss is a loss...but right now their offense is on a different level then the rest of the league. They average nearly 400 on the ground.

That SBU held Richmond to minimal points was not surprising to me. That SBU scored 40+ was a HUGE surprise to me.

I wasn't overly impressed with either 'Nova or Towson...but I thought 'Nova controlled that game. UNH (forgetting the loss) looked slow and had a vanilla offense.
I had the same words or their offense as well. It was amateurish, and easily defended. I'm hoping that it is designed so knight is able to handle or, but still. It doesn't leave much to the imagination. This team isn't what it used to be.

UNHWildcat18
September 18th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I had the same words or their offense as well. It was amateurish, and easily defended. I'm hoping that it is designed so knight is able to handle or, but still. It doesn't leave much to the imagination. This team isn't what it used to be.

I've been watching the recruiting trails the last 4 years pretty heavily and while I think we got a few great guys last year, we have been out recruited the last 3 by a lot of teams and its starting to show. Also the strength and conditioning of our players looked rather weak, against Dartmouth. Really hoping for that expansion of the field house soon granted the self entitled liberal idiot students don't burn the school down for spending money on athletics for the first time in 80 years rather than improving the art classroom which deals with probably 200 kids out of 14,492.

YoUDeeMan
September 18th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Dartmouth...435 yards despite 4 turnovers. UNH couldn't stop them through the air or on the ground.

Tell me again how UNH's defense is going to stop anyone...

Catsfan90
September 18th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Dartmouth...435 yards despite 4 turnovers. UNH couldn't stop them through the air or on the ground.

When did anyone say they would?

Mattymc727
September 18th, 2016, 11:34 AM

It's not. UNH stinks all around right now. URI is a tough win for us

jmufan999
September 18th, 2016, 12:12 PM
JMU looks pretty good. Schor is playing better than i thought he could. if you read anything i write on here, i have been very rough on him. he's clearly improved. he was the only weak link on offense coming into the year, but he's making some nice reads and nice throws. we're screwed if he gets hurt, as Connor Mitch looks absolutely atrocious.

the pass rush is nonexistent. the rest of the defense seems improved, despite yesterday's result. UNC is insanely talented on offense, i'm not going to freak out because we gave up 56 to them. it's what i expected. if there is a CAA team with that kind of offensive talent, hats off to you.

i still don't know how good we are, will need to see a few CAA games first.

ysubigred
September 19th, 2016, 07:34 AM
And your team sure ain't what it used to be!

You're right! YSU would be a better fit in the CAA travel wise.

wmmii
September 19th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Playing Norfolk State is not the best measure but the Tribe found their running game as Funderburke got 137 yards on 13 carries and Dunn had 89 on 18 carries while our all Conference back Anderson rested for the game. Cluley is still making too many mistakes and had two inceptions... The defense now is doing various blitz schemes and getting more effective. We will not really know the mettle of this team until our game at JMU 10/8 assuming we handle Elon this week and can beat UNH at their place the following week.

Stony Brook clear surprise with beat down of Spiders and with the CAA imbalance schedule they avoid playing Nova and JMU. Albany also avoids JMU plus Tribe. Think JMU, Richmond, Nova plus Tribe still top tier and now maybe Stony.

Hanca
September 19th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Spiders exposed. UVA weaker than I thought and Spiders have O and D line weaknesses. NO running game and Lauletta continues tradition of throwing stupid passes in red zone. JMU is clearly best team in CAA. Again, special teams for UR are miserable but Rocco blindly refuses to appoint new coordinator. New O and D coordinators made no adjustments. Stony Brook played well and has owned Rocco since he was @ Liberty. Expect Spiders to struggle again v Colgate.

Hanca
September 19th, 2016, 09:18 AM
JMU looked great on O. Great team speed and attack balanced. Trott same D coordinator he was @ Richmond, which is not a plus.

Gangtackle11
September 19th, 2016, 09:23 AM
I'm not willing to throw dirt on top of Richmond just yet. Most teams not named Alabama or NDSU (even they do too some years) have a let down game during the course of the season. I'm also not ready to anoint JMU as the clear favorite after playing 2 cupcakes & getting blistered by UNC.

Until further notice the CAA is still up for grabs now that Richmond got caught in their own web. If anything the starts by Stony Brook & Albany have made this race as clear as mud.

Tribal
September 19th, 2016, 10:26 AM
It's ridiculous to proclaim any team not named URI Rams as out of consideration. 3 games into the season, mostly against tomato cans and FBS teams, doesn't provide a calibrated thermometer. Also, significant injuries (see Vad Lee and John Roberson) can change momentum on a dime.

One Tribe. One Family.

Catsfan90
September 19th, 2016, 10:32 AM
It's ridiculous to proclaim any team not named URI Rams as out of consideration. 3 games into the season, mostly against tomato cans and FBS teams, doesn't provide a calibrated thermometer. Also, significant injuries (see Vad Lee and John Roberson) can change momentum on a dime.

One Tribe. One Family.
I have to agree. We won't k ow enough until we get more heavily into conference play. Only a few conference games so far, and I believe one was with URI?

Tribe4SF
September 19th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Have to believe Stony Brook is a contender with wins over UND and UR.

YoUDeeMan
September 19th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Have to believe Stony Brook is a contender with wins over UND and UR.

Both of those games were strange games. Not sure Stony deserved a win against UND and Richmond turned into a TO machine.

I don't think Stony Brook has what it takes to win consistently now that they won't be sneaking up on anyone.