0-0 Non DI

Overall:

0-3 P5 FBS
0-2 G5 FBS
6-0 FCS
2-0 Non DI

chattanoogamocs
September 10th, 2016, 09:29 PM
SoCon hasn't played any nationally ranked teams in the FCS OOC, but still, it is always nice to start off 6-0, especially when 4 of the 6 have been on the road.

catamount man
September 10th, 2016, 09:33 PM
WCU attendance was 11 thousand and some change. Can't remember the exact #. GO CATS!!!

tenNesseeCat
September 10th, 2016, 09:47 PM
Damn right!!! That's the Catamounts I like to see!
I'd say the Tyrie Adams secret is out with over 500+ yards of offense and 5 TDs! Still lots for him to learn with 2 ints and 1 fumble.
It's crazy to think we could/should have had 17 more points in the first half. Good weekend for the SoCon! Respectable showings vs FBS, 2-0 vs big South, 1-0 vs Southland.

catamount man
September 10th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Damn right!!! That's the Catamounts I like to see!
I'd say the Tyrie Adams secret is out with over 500+ yards of offense and 5 TDs! Still lots for him to learn with 2 ints and 1 fumble.
It's crazy to think we could/should have had 17 more points in the first half. Good weekend for the SoCon! Respectable showings vs FBS, 2-0 vs big South, 1-0 vs ovc.

The illegal procedure penalties have got to stop. Speir should make coach Holt run gassers if his linemen can't get it together. Other than that, it was a great night for the CATS. GO CATS!!!

catamount man
September 10th, 2016, 10:22 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/sports/2016/09/10/adams-leads-catamounts-big-win-over-gardner-webb/90188126/ GO CATS!!!

chattanoogamocs
September 10th, 2016, 10:35 PM
1. Mercer 12,542
The Citadel 12,542

2. The Citadel 12,009
Furman 12,009

3. Western Carolina 11,598
Gardner-Webb 11,598

4. Chattanooga 8,979
Shorter 9,588
Presbyterian 8,370

5. Samford 4,482
Mars Hill 4,482

6. East Tennessee State
6. Furman
6. Wofford
6. VMI

citdog
September 10th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Visitors side closed and we STILL drew more than western... lol

ElCid
September 10th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Not sure what to make of my Dogs right now. O was challenged big time by Furman, Their D was pretty good. But our D was pretty decent in holding them to 272 and only 70 yds rushing (better than Mich St D did against their run). Our D clearly won it for us. I am not sure the QB situation helped again. I do not like playing musical QBs and that is what we did. Hopefully Allen is back full time next week. Not too keen on spotting them 7 to begin the game either. But they recovered nicely from that error. I am also extremely concerned with the illegal block situation. Not sure the refs know what is going on in regard to the new cut block rules. Also, not that our visitor side is ever very full, it did look weird to see absolutely nobody in the lead poisoned side. At this point, 2-0 in the SOCON is a nice feeling.

chattanoogamocs
September 10th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Not sure what to make of my Dogs right now. O was challenged big time by Furman, Their D was pretty good. But our D was pretty decent in holding them to 272 and only 70 yds rushing (better than Mich St D did against their run). Our D clearly won it for us. I am not sure the QB situation helped again. I do not like playing musical QBs and that is what we did. Hopefully Allen is back full time next week. Not too keen on spotting them 7 to begin the game either. But they recovered nicely from that error. I am also extremely concerned with the illegal block situation. Not sure the refs know what is going on in regard to the new cut block rules. Also, not that our visitor side is ever very full, it did look weird to see absolutely nobody in the lead poisoned side. At this point, 2-0 in the SOCON is a nice feeling.

It's week two and you guys are already 25% of the way through conference play!

Mocs123
September 10th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Furman's D is and has been pretty good the past few years, its their offense that has struggled. The Citadel - Furman game looked like a defensive slugfest.

We will get a strong test from the Paladin D next week.

ElCid
September 10th, 2016, 11:01 PM
It's week two and you guys are already 25% of the way through conference play!

That is a good feeling. But UTC, Samford, Wofford, WCU, and as always for us VMI is pretty daunting still.

tenNesseeCat
September 11th, 2016, 12:37 AM

Sounds like ya'll did a bang up job on the remodel a while back. 💩 Meanwhile Western pulls 185% of the population of Cullowhee.
Don't criticise us, when ya'll now hold the black eye of the SoCon. It's sad that in a town of 130k ya'll couldn't pull more for games and get some of that old money to at least get a decent paint job.

catamount man
September 11th, 2016, 06:45 AM
Sounds like ya'll did a bang up job on the remodel a while back.  Meanwhile Western pulls 185% of the population of Cullowhee.
Don't criticise us, when ya'll now hold the black eye of the SoCon. It's sad that in a town of 130k ya'll couldn't pull more for games and get some of that old money to at least get a decent paint job.

tenNesseeCat, it's best you save your breath for better conversation with someone who's actually worth it. He's not. Trust me. GO CATS!

sudog03
September 11th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I believe the SoCon is as good as it's been in the last 10 years. Quality road win for my Samford Bulldogs last night. After the bye week, we head to UTC to play one of the best 2-3 teams in FCS and what I believe the best defense in FCS.

OL FU
September 11th, 2016, 07:36 AM

Honestly, I think the take for your Dogs is that Furman is better than last year. So I think the Dogs are fine, might not quite be where they were last year but close. While Furman is better, we are far from where we need to be. Way too many turnovers. Way too much inconsistency offensively. Can't win that way. We, I think, will show improvement. The problem is that our schedule is not conducive to improving slowly. It has to be quick or by the end of September, we will be out of it which could be motivationally problematic for a team that hasn't seen a lot of success in recent years.

JSUSoutherner
September 11th, 2016, 09:00 AM
And more than UTC has ever pulled without our help.

kdinva
September 11th, 2016, 10:43 AM
VMI's O-Line had a lousy game vs. Morehead. Too many rush attempts that netted 2 yards or worse. Cobb scrambled too much, had to "throw away" at least nine pass attempts......Morehead was 200% more fired up vs. VMI than JMU......and Keydets again shot themselves in the foot in the Red Zone. 3rd and goal from their 1.....and Coach has Cobb in the shotgun? Bad snap led to a 5 yard loss, settled for 3....later kicker clanged a 35 yarder off an upright. 7 points lost there. But, the VMI Defense did what it had to. I predicted we'd hold Morehead to two TD's......but thought VMI would have scored 35+.

SU DOG
September 11th, 2016, 11:18 AM
A few of my observations:

The Citadel has always been a tough hard-nosed bunch. These first 2 games, however, they also seem to have a 'refuse to lose' attitude. That is an intangible that top teams seem to always have. Furman played tough, and could still have a very good year.

The closeness of the VMI game was surprising. I thought there might even be a blowout. The improving Keydets probably still need to learn to play better on the road.

The complete ineptness of the Samford running game, behind the huge O-line. A win, yes, but ridiculous numbers on rushing yards. This area has got to improve for the Dogs to be a contender, and I think it will.

Western showed what we all knew - they have some outstanding athletes, and the young QB will continue to get better.

UTC has 2 games and 2 shutouts. Hard to do against any level of competition.

The SoCon is, top to bottom, one heck of a TOUGH league this year.

catamount man
September 11th, 2016, 11:21 AM
A few of my observations:

The Citadel has always been a tough hard-nosed bunch. These first 2 games, however, they also seem to have a 'refuse to lose' attitude. That is an intangible that top teams seem to always have. Furman played tough, and could still have a very good year.

The closeness of the VMI game was surprising. I thought there might even be a blowout. The improving Keydets probably still need to learn to play better on the road.

The complete ineptness of the Samford running game, behind the huge O-line. A win, yes, but ridiculous numbers on rushing yards. This area has got to improve for the Dogs to be a contender, and I think it will.

Western showed what we all knew - they have some outstanding athletes, and the young QB will continue to get better.

UTC has 2 games and 2 shutouts. Hard to do against any level of competition.

The SoCon is, top to bottom, one heck of a TOUGH league this year.

Pretty much sums it up. That's a good win for you guys but that 4th quarter would leave scratching my head. Good luck except October 22. GO CATS!!!

tenNesseeCat
September 11th, 2016, 11:40 AM
http://southernpigskin.com/socon/week-two-socon-players-of-the-week/

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2016, 12:32 PM

Frustrating game. Furman played well enough to win, and just kept handing the ball back to the Citadel with mistakes. Good teams close out games on the road, and Furman sure enough did not.

I was encouraged by the defense. Citadel struggled to move the ball most of the evening outside of a couple heaved 50/50 balls. Renew and Co. were bottled up most of the night.

Citadel has a good, physical, fast defense. They come at you hard up front. Furman could never get anything going in the running game. PJ Blazejowski is a good QB, but his best value to Furman is if we can run the ball. He's not a guy you want back there slinging it 30+ times. Why he kept throwing late in the direction of the SoCon's best CB is beyond me.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Furman's D is and has been pretty good the past few years, its their offense that has struggled. The Citadel - Furman game looked like a defensive slugfest.

We will get a strong test from the Paladin D next week.

Furman's defense has looked the test. Fast and physical at all levels. Remember too that Furman has played the first two games without their #1 corner back, Jamari Miliken.

Paladin defense almost single handedly have to beat the Citadel. Furman has got to find a way to consistently move the football. They are better than they were last year in that they can pick up a few first downs and punt teams deep. Still need to get the ball in the end zone.

chattanoogamocs
September 11th, 2016, 01:24 PM
And more than UTC has ever pulled without our help.

Actually, GSU and ASU...and TSU helped us out much more than a bunch of fans that only show because their kids are in the band. :)

Of course, you'd probably never admit what a number of JSU officials said, that UTC brought more fans to the playoffs last fall than they had seen from an away crowd in as long as they could remember at JSU (I have no idea if that is true or not because unless you guys are on the schedule, I don't pay any attention to JSU).

The rivalry is good for both side. But nevermind all that, you keep trolling on brother.

JSUSoutherner
September 11th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Actually, GSU and ASU...and TSU helped us out much more than a bunch of fans that only show because their kids are in the band. :)

Of course, you'd probably never admit what a number of JSU officials said, that UTC brought more fans to the playoffs last fall than they had seen from an away crowd in as long as they could remember at JSU (I have no idea if that is true or not because unless you guys are on the schedule, I don't pay any attention to JSU).

The rivalry is good for both side. But nevermind all that, you keep trolling on brother.

Yeah, UTC definitely travels well to games down here. I'm sure it helps that our schools are so close together. Definitely makes for fun games. And in the spirit of rivalry I shall continue trolling on, brother.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Yeah, UTC definitely travels well to games down here. I'm sure it helps that our schools are so close together. Definitely makes for fun games. And in the spirit of rivalry I shall continue trolling on, brother.

Someone say trolling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOAGA7rTvpo

Toby
September 11th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Someone say trolling?

Ingle Martin= Stud

ElCid
September 11th, 2016, 11:58 PM
Frustrating game. Furman played well enough to win, and just kept handing the ball back to the Citadel with mistakes. Good teams close out games on the road, and Furman sure enough did not.

I was encouraged by the defense. Citadel struggled to move the ball most of the evening outside of a couple heaved 50/50 balls. Renew and Co. were bottled up most of the night.

Citadel has a good, physical, fast defense. They come at you hard up front. Furman could never get anything going in the running game. PJ Blazejowski is a good QB, but his best value to Furman is if we can run the ball. He's not a guy you want back there slinging it 30+ times. Why he kept throwing late in the direction of the SoCon's best CB is beyond me.

I am still convinced that this has to do, to a degree, with the QB/RB chemistry. We have a couple new starting faces on the o-line and that might add a bit, but the rhythm that Allen had with the backs is just not there. i think it will only get better as he gets going full time. Black is a great ace in the hole and i like his moves but it is different than Allen. Renew has been shut down since the second half at Mercer.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2016, 12:02 AM
Someone say trolling?

Crazy ending there.

I have a video video kind of like that. Except UTC is the loser. :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CVfqDRvVEAAVtbB.mp4

FUBeAR
September 12th, 2016, 05:18 AM
Renew has been shut down since the second PLAY at Mercer.

FIFY

2.8 YPC the rest of the game against Mercer & 3.3 YPC since that play.

El Cid's B-Backs avg'd 5.5 YPC in 2015. 40% drop-off in productivity out of that position in that offense is a significant issue. But, I suspect opening with 2 conference games against opponents with good defenses has more to do with that stat than the mesh with the QB. I expect we'll see some improvement in that number vs. a non-SoCon Team this weekend.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2016, 05:33 AM
Ingle Martin= Stud

Hope you got to see him play. He was something else.

That was a wild game. Both teams ended up rushing the field. JSU even set off their "we won" fireworks.

tenNesseeCat
September 12th, 2016, 11:19 AM
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=211166415

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2016, 11:25 AM

Furman holds the Citadel to 191 yards rushing and 12 first downs and doesn't even get a player on the "hey, good game defense" mention? Tough crowd.

Delaney is a worthy recipient, but probably needs to give an assist to PJ Blazejowski. I love Blaze's confidence in his arm, but at least once or twice a game he will force throws late into tight coverage. Delaney made him pay for that mistake twice.

SU DOG
September 12th, 2016, 11:30 AM

Those stats for our punter are just insane. I won't repeat all of them, but 10 punts with a 46 yard average! xthumbsupx One mistake here, however, Austin Barnard is a RS-Jr, not a senior.

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Furman holds the Citadel to 191 yards rushing and 12 first downs and doesn't even get a player on the "hey, good game defense" mention? Tough crowd.

Delaney is a worthy recipient, but probably needs to give an assist to PJ Blazejowski. I love Blaze's confidence in his arm, but at least once or twice a game he will force throws late into tight coverage. Delaney made him pay for that mistake twice.

The first pick was a thing of beauty and all DD. He read it perfectly and was like a cat waiting to pounce. And then he executed it in stride. The second one was just silly. Should never have been thrown but the actual pick was still like magic as DD was on his back doing a tip drill with himself.

walliver
September 12th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Those stats for our punter are just insane. I won't repeat all of them, but 10 punts with a 46 yard average! xthumbsupx One mistake here, however, Austin Barnard is a RS-Jr, not a senior.

It's just amazing that you can punt 10 times and still score 35 points.

CID1990
September 12th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Honestly, I think the take for your Dogs is that Furman is better than last year. So I think the Dogs are fine, might not quite be where they were last year but close. While Furman is better, we are far from where we need to be. Way too many turnovers. Way too much inconsistency offensively. Can't win that way. We, I think, will show improvement. The problem is that our schedule is not conducive to improving slowly. It has to be quick or by the end of September, we will be out of it which could be motivationally problematic for a team that hasn't seen a lot of success in recent years.

We aren't as good as we were last year, particularly on defense (in spite of what the stats say). Furman and Mercer beat themselves as much as we did.

That's my take after having seen two games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2016, 12:17 PM
The first pick was a thing of beauty and all DD. He read it perfectly and was like a cat waiting to pounce. And then he executed it in stride. The second one was just silly. Should never have been thrown but the actual pick was still like magic as DD was on his back doing a tip drill with himself.

Neither ball should have been thrown. Running out of the pocket, forcing a throw into a tight window late. Delaney made two good plays, but those balls should have been thrown into the stands.

Blazejowski's best use to Furman is if our running game gets going. He's a really good open field runner and is really strong on intermediate routes. He is not much of a pocket passer. He spiked a few in the turf to open receivers and forced the ball to covered ones. Simply cannot do that in a close game.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2016, 12:19 PM
We aren't as good as we were last year, particularly on defense (in spite of what the stats say). Furman and Mercer beat themselves as much as we did.

I liked what I saw out of your defense. Delaney gives you the option to play a lot of man coverage and sent the wolves into the backfield. Felt like there was pressure coming on nearly every play from some direction.

That muffed punt will be the one that haunts us this season. Furman has played a number of games the last two seasons where we would have won if we just avoided blowing our foot off.

I don't expect our offense to score 30. I expect them to move the ball to field goal range or punt the other team deep and let the defense win the game. For crying out loud don't hand it back to them deep in our zone.

BEAR
September 12th, 2016, 12:27 PM
It's just amazing that you can punt 10 times and still score 35 points.

True but 14 of their points came off turnovers. So actually 21 came from the offense. It was just a crazy freakin' game. For both sides.

SU DOG
September 12th, 2016, 12:31 PM
True but 14 of their points came off turnovers. So actually 21 came from the offense. It was just a crazy freakin' game. For both sides.

Would you PLEASE STOP quoting stats. xlolx

BEAR
September 12th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Would you PLEASE STOP quoting stats. xlolx

I didn't realize you guys punted 10 times! :D

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Neither ball should have been thrown. Running out of the pocket, forcing a throw into a tight window late. Delaney made two good plays, but those balls should have been thrown into the stands.

Blazejowski's best use to Furman is if our running game gets going. He's a really good open field runner and is really strong on intermediate routes. He is not much of a pocket passer. He spiked a few in the turf to open receivers and forced the ball to covered ones. Simply cannot do that in a close game.

I was hoping we kept someone spying him. Early on he had some success when we got wrapped in in your o-line, but as the game wore on we kept him in check better. He is elusive. I expected to see you try at least 2 shuffle passes and you did, but I was real glad we blew them up fast. I think we were watching for them.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2016, 12:46 PM
I was hoping we kept someone spying him. Early on he had some success when we got wrapped in in your o-line, but as the game wore on we kept him in check better. He is elusive. I expected to see you try at least 2 shuffle passes and you did, but I was real glad we blew them up fast. I think we were watching for them.

I posted this on our board, but we tried one of the pitch options in predictable down and distance at predictable spots in the games. No real shock Citadel sniffed them out.

What I was surprised with was how little we tried to attack the edge. As hard as Citadel comes up field, I thought for sure we would try to use the speed option outside or implement some screens. Never really saw any of that.

Granted, I think a lot of what we wanted to do offensively was thrown out the window when Morehead was removed from the game. Even after just two games you can already tell he's the kind of guy that causes the fans to hold their breath when he gets the ball in space. The guys in line behind him are more bruisers than players that can get to the edge. Once he was out of the game, the offense just couldn't do much on the ground but blow straight ahead.

OL FU
September 12th, 2016, 01:14 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkand that could be. I'm basing mine on furman's first two games . We have played better. Can't really compare msu obviously and I never take too much from those games but if they had beaten us by 40 I would not have been shocked .

FUBeAR
September 12th, 2016, 02:05 PM
We aren't as good as we were last year, particularly on defense. Mercer beat themselves as much as we did. That's my take

I really don't want to say this, but I agree with you to some extent.

I think the loss of the DC has, perhaps, been a bit more problematic than expected. Losing Jeter, Thomas, and Riley up front hurts a lot also. All very, very good, experienced players. I just didn't see the same FIRE on D that I saw last year and, when I watched the Mercer replay closely (I haven't see the FU/El Cid game), I saw more than a few plays where I would have graded some of the Bulldogs as a "Loaf" on that play.

That said, I think these are fixable issues. The replacements for Jeter and Thomas on the D-Line are young and talented. They'll get better as the season progresses. I was quite impressed with Pierce, who is a new starter at LB, I believe. He's going to be very good! Look, if they can win 2 tough SoCon games without playing at the top of their game; I think they're doing great. They will need to turn up the intensity level on D for the rest of their SoCon slate and the Playoffs though. I imagine they heard that after the Mercer game and based on the stats (only) from the FU game, it sounds as if they did.

2-0 in the SoCon, my friend, when no other Team yet has a SoCon win, is "Playoff-Money-in-the-Bank." Enjoy it.

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 02:09 PM
and that could be. I'm basing mine on furman's first two games . We have played better. Can't really compare msu obviously and I never take too much from those games but if they had beaten us by 40 I would not have been shocked .

How true. I am always perplexed that people think they can evaluate a team solely by their performance with an FBS team. Have we not seen teams beat some FBS only to be smacked later in conference match ups?

You never know how much effort a team is really putting out when they play a lower level team. Sometimes they want to pad their numbers or the computer ratings. Sometimes they might not want to get hurt and just win "good enough." Sometimes they underestimate their opponents and have slow starts only to get wake up calls at halftime. There are a lot of dynamic variables. Result: some get caught napping and reply too little, too late. Although victories are always nice, and close calls, I do think that some people too too much stock in these results. Always best to look at team's body of work for a season rather than one game.

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 02:18 PM
I really don't want to say this, but I agree with you to some extent.

I think the loss of the DC has, perhaps, been a bit more problematic than expected. Losing Jeter, Thomas, and Riley up front hurts a lot also. All very, very good, experienced players. I just didn't see the same FIRE on D that I saw last year and, when I watched the Mercer replay closely (I haven't see the FU/El Cid game), I saw more than a few plays where I would have graded some of the Bulldogs as a "Loaf" on that play.

That said, I think these are fixable issues. The replacements for Jeter and Thomas on the D-Line are young and talented. They'll get better as the season progresses. I was quite impressed with Pierce, who is a new starter at LB, I believe. He's going to be very good! Look, if they can win 2 tough SoCon games without playing at the top of their game; I think they're doing great. They will need to turn up the intensity level on D for the rest of their SoCon slate and the Playoffs though. I imagine they heard that after the Mercer game and based on the stats (only) from the FU game, it sounds as if they did.

2-0 in the SoCon, my friend, when no other Team yet has a SoCon win, is "Playoff-Money-in-the-Bank." Enjoy it.

Stayed up way too late last night and watched the game again. They did. Still have a couple issues but better. Lots of pressure on the QB. I think they played smarter too. In some cases at Mercer I thought our D was a little too aggressive and overran the play and your guys took advantage of the angles. If you watch the game, the first INT by Delaney was a thing of beauty. I think everyone saw it coming but Blazejowski.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Stayed up way too late last night and watched the game again. They did. Still have a couple issues but better. Lots of pressure on the QB. I think they played smarter too. In some cases at Mercer I thought our D was a little too aggressive and overran the play and your guys took advantage of the angles. If you watch the game, the first INT by Delaney was a thing of beauty. I think everyone saw it coming but Blazejowski.

No kidding, I yelled "No!" from the couch before he released the ball.

Incidentally, Citadel had zero sacks against Furman. Had to read that stat twice. Bulldogs essentially started in Furman's backfield last year, and despite 37 pass attempts, no one got the corner back.

Not sure if that is a demerit to Citadel's defense, or an atta boy to Furman's maligned pass protection. Probably some of both.

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 03:00 PM

Incidentally, Citadel had zero sacks against Furman. Had to read that stat twice. Bulldogs essentially started in Furman's backfield last year, and despite 37 pass attempts, no one got the corner back.

Not sure if that is a demerit to Citadel's defense, or an atta boy to Furman's maligned pass protection. Probably some of both.

That is so funny because as soon as he released it I was yelling YESSSSS!.

I looked at the sack stat and as much as I want to be bummed, I am not. Yes it would be nice, but we had the three QBH and I will take the 3 INTs over sacks any day. I think the credit goes a little bit of both. I don't think we really came after him too aggressively, but he was protected fairly well.

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 03:26 PM

I just looked again, and we didn't give him all day. Good pressure when needed, but just no sacks.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2016, 04:03 PM
I just looked again, and we didn't give him all day. Good pressure when needed, but just no sacks.

After watching the game last season, it was nice to see a zero in that column. Citadel teed off on us last year and knocked Reese Hannon out of the game.

With as much QB issues as we've gone through, I am just happy to see our signal caller on his feet back there.

CID1990
September 12th, 2016, 05:01 PM
The biggest question I have is how good are FU's and Mercer's defenses, really? Our offense has yet to come out of first gear this season which makes me hopeful that our two opponents are good on D. If Chatty comes out this week and hangs more than 4 touchdowns on Furman or we score less than 4 against GW I am going to be concerned.

ElCid
September 12th, 2016, 05:04 PM
The biggest question I have is how good are FU's and Mercer's defenses, really? Our offense has yet to come out of first gear this season which makes me hopeful that our two opponents are good on D. If Chatty comes out this week and hangs more than 4 touchdowns on Furman or we score less than 4 against GW I am going to be concerned.

This about the same threshold I had in my mind as an indicator.

OL FU
September 12th, 2016, 06:43 PM

Dont take it the wrong way cuz I don't know either but this is the standard early season questions you ask when there were issues against suspect opponents. I would love to reference the Michigan st game with respect to furman but that would contradict my earlier comments that FCS games don't mean much unless you win them. With said I am hoping you are good for obvious reasons

Milktruck74
September 13th, 2016, 07:14 AM
How true. I am always perplexed that people think they can evaluate a team solely by their performance with an FBS team. Have we not seen teams beat some FBS only to be smacked later in conference match ups?

You never know how much effort a team is really putting out when they play a lower level team. Sometimes they want to pad their numbers or the computer ratings. Sometimes they might not want to get hurt and just win "good enough." Sometimes they underestimate their opponents and have slow starts only to get wake up calls at halftime. There are a lot of dynamic variables. Result: some get caught napping and reply too little, too late. Although victories are always nice, and close calls, I do think that some people too too much stock in these results. Always best to look at team's body of work for a season rather than one game.

So True!!! How many times do we see a team jump on an FBS team (maybe even hold on for the W) and then get thumped by a mid level FCS 2 or 3 weeks later? I also think common opponent is a poor predictor of score...some teams have very different match ups vs the other teams O or D.