PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern Violations Explained: Chadwell New Home in 2017?

BigSouthFan
September 8th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Interesting article by a local news outlet down in Charleston. It seems that the school has done quite an awkward job handling the situation down there, as the writer explains in the article. Really not sure who's running the operation down there, but everything outside of how their football team plays on the field, seems to be in shambles. Doesn't seem like they are treating a head coach too well that has done everything in his ability to bring the spotlight to a before irrelevant program. I see him taking the first thing available outside of Charleston next year. Here is the article:

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160908/160909531/sapakoff-charleston-southern-football-growing-pains-likely-to-continue

That being said, where are some possible landing spots that you guys can see Chadwell at next year? What upper level FCS programs or lower level FBS programs are likely to open up and could use or want Chadwell at the helm? That is, if he decides to leave.

catamount man
September 8th, 2016, 07:10 PM
The ETSU job is his anytime he wants it one would assume. GO CATS!!!

The Eagle's Cliff
September 8th, 2016, 07:36 PM
We were very interested at GS. He's still my favorite. I'm concerned the new staff is accustomed to offense the way everyone else does it. If this guy doesn't continue the success the job will be open again soon.

bonarae
September 8th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Meanwhile...

I think he's better off recuperating from the reputation tumble as an assistant coach in a FCS, D-II, D-III or NAIA school.

jsnow84
September 8th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Chadwell is a good coach but a bit of a horse's tail. I suspect we will see a flame out before too many more years, maybe sooner. Wouldn't be surprised to find a lot of fire under all that smoke. Hard to believe he is getting all these players to come to CSU without there being some shady goings on.

UNIFanSince1983
September 8th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Really stupid rule about the players not using extra scholarship book money. Just the NCAA overextending over something trivial again.

BigSouthFan
September 8th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Chadwell is a good coach but a bit of a horse's tail. I suspect we will see a flame out before too many more years, maybe sooner. Wouldn't be surprised to find a lot of fire under all that smoke. Hard to believe he is getting all these players to come to CSU without there being some shady goings on.

They really don't have great talent.. Their best player is a former walk-on. Anyone that knows CSU knows that most teams that they play have better talent than them. They just out coach people and the players outplay people.

BigSouthFan
September 8th, 2016, 11:03 PM
CSU Senior WR expressing his thoughts. https://twitter.com/ariyamassoudi/status/774088370968330240

BigSouthFan
September 8th, 2016, 11:13 PM
And more..

https://twitter.com/ariyamassoudi/status/774095661247504384

bonarae
September 8th, 2016, 11:19 PM
It's safe to say that the Noles will trounce them easily.

jsnow84
September 8th, 2016, 11:45 PM
- - - Updated - - -

They really don't have great talent.. Their best player is a former walk-on. Anyone that knows CSU knows that most teams that they play have better talent than them. They just out coach people and the players outplay people.

Obviously, you don't follow the BS very well. Their talent is much better than most in the conference, with the possible exception of LU.
Did you happen to watch the NDSU game? smh.

Libertine
September 8th, 2016, 11:48 PM
If you are an NCAA athlete on athletic aid there is no such thing as leftover book money, regardless of what the "people at the bookstore" tell you. That is an added benefit and an NCAA violation, whether it's $5, $50 or $5,000. Any athlete involved must make restitution before the NCAA will even consider allowing them on the field. This is not a new policy, leftover book money is not equivalent to COA stipends and this is not the NCAA picking on the little guy. It has been around for a very long time and has caught up bigger and better athletes than those at CSU. It is not the compliance director's fault or the NCAA's fault that you can't play against Florida State. If you are trusting the minimum wage cashier/barista at your college bookstore for compliance advice, you deserve whatever penalty you get.

-
Obviously, you don't follow the BS very well. Their talent is much better than most in the conference, with the possible exception of LU.
Did you happen to watch the NDSU game? smh.

He's a CSU fan. They've been playing the victim card for so long that it's become institutional and they don't know what to do now that they're winning. Hence, Korn's allusion to a "witch hunt".

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2016, 11:52 PM
The kids' story of what happened that they describe on Facebook detail something that happened in between the students and the bookstore employees, i.e. "use it, or you'll lose it." Was this policy something that was instituted by the school itself? If it was, shouldn't the school's compliance director have been on top of it?

Was this benefit unique to the football team? That is a very interesting, important, unanswered question. There have been other places where this type of thing has happened, most notably Howard back in 2014. The school's "voucher system" was unwittingly an NCAA violation, reported by a member of the women's bowling team, and it soon emerged that every athlete in the school was using the voucher in some way.

Libertine
September 8th, 2016, 11:55 PM
Actually, CSU has a brand new compliance director and it seems they've put their foot down.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2016, 11:55 PM
I would have less of a problem with the suspensions of the athletes if:

* it were even-handed across multiple sports, not just football
* if the compliance director hadn't been there an entire year
* it had been handled in the offseason

Libertine
September 9th, 2016, 12:15 AM
I would have less of a problem with the suspensions of the athletes if:

* it were even-handed across multiple sports, not just football
* if the compliance director hadn't been there an entire year
* it had been handled in the offseason

There is no real in-depth coverage of CSU so we don't know that it doesn't cover other sports besides football.
I don't know what the compliance director's length of employment has to do with anything.
As for the offseason, this kind of staff happens in-season with other sports-- most notably, basketball -- all the time.

BigSouthFan
September 9th, 2016, 12:44 AM
He's a CSU fan. They've been playing the victim card for so long that it's become institutional and they don't know what to do now that they're winning. Hence, Korn's allusion to a "witch hunt".

Actually, I'm a 2002 Presbyterian College grad, and a fan of the Big South. I could talk about PC until I'm blue in the face, but this board is used for relevant topics and as for now, CSU is the only relevant team in the BSC. Therefore I keep up with CSU. Also have a buddy who's son plays there.

As for my earlier comment, CSU is still very much smaller than everyone else they play. Maybe their talent is catching up, but I still see them outsized and outmatched by 65-75% of their opponents.

BigSouthFan
September 9th, 2016, 12:45 AM
Give credit where it's due, Chadwell beat App State and went 9-3 with a team that went 0-12 just the year before. If you all have personal gripes against the man that's another thing. But let's be football fans here.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2016, 01:03 AM
There is no real in-depth coverage of CSU so we don't know that it doesn't cover other sports besides football.
I don't know what the compliance director's length of employment has to do with anything.
As for the offseason, this kind of staff happens in-season with other sports-- most notably, basketball -- all the time.

The whole thing is complicated. On the one hand, you can say that an NCAA athlete needs to be on top of the rulebook and know the ins and outs on whether the leftover $2 of his book voucher can be used on some Tic Tacs. On the other, it's the athletic department's responsibility to educate the athletes that using that extra $2 is an NCAA violation and they shouldn't do it.

It also could be that the suspensions were attempted to be timed so that the big ESPN game vs North Dakota State had a full staff and all the athletes.

Overall, not a good look for CSU.

dgtw
September 9th, 2016, 02:05 AM
Doesn't seem like it would be too hard for the AD to address the team and tell them they can only buy books with the scholarship money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Actually, CSU has a brand new compliance director and it seems they've put their foot down.

If they didn't, they do now.

CSU18
September 9th, 2016, 06:28 AM
CSU's administration has always done some quirky things. I hate to be harsh on the players at CSU, but if they violate an NCAA rule, then they violate a rule and consequences have to be paid. Korn can blame the administration all he wants but they didn't do anything that went against NCAA rules - the players did. I can remember sitting in a room with our compliance department, going over the rules, eligibility guidelines, simple things we were not allowed to do. Now either this year's team didn't have a meeting like this, or they did and nobody was paying attention. Again, I hate it for the players that are suspended, but they're grown men and should be aware of what they can and can't do.

Korn also should meet some of the guys that played at CSU before him (and even before me) before he publicly calls the program "a joke" prior to his arrival. I've talked to guys older than I am who used several empty dorm rooms as locker rooms. A lot of people before him endured some really really bad facilities and situations to help bring the athletic department where it is today.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2016, 07:28 AM
So let me get this straight....

The big boys can use their wealth to provide full cost of attendance to all of their players.

But when Charleston Southern players use their money to buy school supplies it's some kind of egregious violation that warrants suspension of almost 3 dozen players (http://nypost.com/2016/09/09/30-plus-charleston-southern-football-players-banned-in-bizarre-bookstore-violaton/)?

Bull****

Daytripper
September 9th, 2016, 08:00 AM

The big boys can use their wealth to provide full cost of attendance to all of their players.

But when Charleston Southern players use their money to buy school supplies it's some kind of egregious violation that warrants suspension of almost 3 dozen players (http://nypost.com/2016/09/09/30-plus-charleston-southern-football-players-banned-in-bizarre-bookstore-violaton/)?

Bull****

This. xsmhx

Libertine
September 9th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Actually, I'm a 2002 Presbyterian College grad,

I stand corrected.

BEAR
September 9th, 2016, 08:22 AM

Bull****

My Bears had two brothers, Josh and Justin Heard, that played on the team at the same time in 2013. One brother was short textbook money so Justin gave his remaining balance to Josh to buy books. Violation. 3 game suspension and repayment. Even to a family member. xsmhx But I'm sure the rules are there for a reason..right?

PAllen
September 9th, 2016, 08:32 AM
As pwns pointed out, in a day and age where USC and Oregon are paying players thousands of dollars on top of their scholarships to take one ballroom dancing class, I see little harm in even a few hundred dollars in credit at the bookstore. I'll never forget my father telling me that I should have the bookstore bill sent directly to them my freshman year. He said, "we'll see everything that goes on the bill, and as long as you don't abuse it, we'll pay it. That way, if something happens and you run out of money, you can still get all of the supplies you need for class, and you'll never be cold because they sell jackets and sweatshirts." I had no car, and little to no way of getting off campus to a store that would sell such things. I bought two sheatshirts my freshman year, one my senior year, and one jacket my sophomore year when the one I had got ripped to shreds. Everything else was books. I guess all that I'm saying is that most if not all of what you can pick up at a college bookstore could be considered part of the full cost of attendance. If you're going to allow some schools to openly cut checks to athletes for such things, then I have much less of a problem with spending the difference when you buy the used history textbook instead of the new one.

Green26
September 9th, 2016, 09:49 AM

Bull****

I agree. The penalty is much too high. Why not make them pay it back if they want to enforce the rule, and not suspend them? The unfairness when compared to the stipends that other schools pay is huge and glaring. Why not change the rule to allow the book stipend to be spent on books and then whatever at the bookstore.

Do any of the articles discuss the amounts involved?

The unfairness and inconsistency when compared to the spending money stipends is huge and glaring.

This reminds Montana fans of when the NCAA penalized players who stopped at tailgates after a game and had hot dogs and water. What was worse, was that the NCAA stationed investigators outside the door where players exited from the locker room after games, and followed the players. This was after the first game of a season several years ago. Players had to donate little amount like $10 or so to charity.

The NCAA is very corrupt and unfair.

Sandlapper Spike
September 9th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I would be hesitant to put all of this at the NCAA's door. Sure, it's an NCAA rule, but this seems to be more of an institutional issue.

walliver
September 9th, 2016, 10:21 AM
The more I read of this, the more I suspect there is something else going on behind the scenes. CSU has made grandiose suspensions that mean nothing. Chadwell is suspended for a D-2 game where he really isn't needed. Multiple players are suspended in a game against a legitimate top 5 team that was going to beat them badly. (FSU's second half team on Monday would blow out the NDSU team I watched last week.) From a tactical standpoint, these suspensions don't matter. From a morale standpoint, these decisions are disastrous. Are administrators trying to earn their bona fides as a "Christian School" by taking some kind of ultra "high road"? If so, I don't see the point of public embarrassment being the right thing to do?

The coaching offense could have easily been remedied by banned the coaches from Facebook and Twitter for a week. The players offenses could have easily been managed by asking them to pay back the money and take a compliance course.

I doubt the NCAA is behind this, there appears to be some internal administrative issue.

As for Chadwell's future, I suspect he moves to another FCS program before FBS. He may be attractive to Georgia Southern or a Military Academy, be will need to demonstrate he can run a more conventional offense before FBS offers roll in.

clenz
September 9th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Give the players FCOA and it's not an issue. There are a few schools in the FCS doing so now.

Then again, the schools doing so probably have a properly staffed compliance office, which it sounds like CSU doesn't have

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Give the players FCOA and it's not an issue. There are a few schools in the FCS doing so now.

Then again, the schools doing so probably have a properly staffed compliance office, which it sounds like CSU doesn't have

Or the NCAA could update the rules. There's no point in this kind of rule regarding book allowance when schools can basically hand out money to athletes that can be used in any way they wish.

melloware13
September 9th, 2016, 11:04 AM
I have a thought of a way to try to avoid future bookstore-gates, while preparing the student athletes to succeed (if it seems crazy or impractical, ok).
1. When the student athletes schedule for the semester and/or adjust their classes, they submit the information to the athletic department through an online form.
2. The athletic department supplies the bookstore with the classes for each person, similar to how books can be ordered online.
3. As professors supply their book/supply list to the store, the store compiles the order (as they would for any other student).
4. While compiling the order for the student athletes, the athletic department receives an updated bill for the supplies.

I'm not saying that this happened here, but one thing that they'd have to put in place would be that if you received a book/supply through that method and return it, you don't get the money (to prevent someone from "enrolling" in a class that has a $500 book, only to get the refund money). Another possible difficulty would be if the bookstore fails to prepare for the semester, which happened to me this semester at East Stroudsburg.

I think this setup would help prevent the suspensions, while encouraging the student athletes to be fully prepared for their classes.

Libertine
September 9th, 2016, 12:38 PM
What's funny to me is that, since the opponent is Florida State, there are a lot of media outlets picking up the story who don't know the first thing about CSU or, apparently, FCS football.

The Jacksonville, FL newspaper ran an article today quoting a social media post from "CSU linebacker, West Ashley". West Ashley is a high school, not a person.
http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/florida-state-seminoles/2016-09-09/story/charleston-southern-mum-about-reported

Meanwhile, the until-now highly reputable CollegeFootballTalk site is currently running an article titled "Half of Charleston Southern's team reportedly suspended for Florida State". In the article, the author makes it clear that, since 30 is nearly half of the FCS scholarship limit of 63 so, therefore, CSU must only have 63 players on the team so half of the team is out for this game.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/09/half-of-charleston-southerns-team-reportedly-suspended-for-florida-state-game/

It's amazing to me that, in this day and age, so much information is available to anyone who can be bothered to spend fifteen seconds looking it up and that so few bother to actually do so.

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2016, 06:20 AM

haven't read the article but all your comments are my thoughts in general....

talent wins, coaches need to find it somehow.... put Chadwell at Del State and we'll see how much of a miracle worker he is

wmmii
September 10th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Sad that the kids get penalized for small petty items like this but that is the real work for adults. Poorly handled by CSU and their new compliance person. Coach will move on the great success elsewhere and CSU will be bottom feeder within next 24 months...

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Id guess coach Stig will be retiring in a couple years. We could find a spot for him at SDSU I bet :D

TheKingpin28
September 10th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Id guess coach Stig will be retiring in a couple years. We could find a spot for him at SDSU I bet :D

He would be perfect for Valley play due to what he has done with practically nothing, but there is only one slight problem with this idea. If you could, would you remind me how SDSU has done against NDSU the last 8 years? xhighfivex xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 10:34 AM
He would be perfect for Valley play due to what he has done with practically nothing, but there is only one slight problem with this idea. If you could, would you remind me how SDSU has done against NDSU the last 8 years? xhighfivex xdrunkyx

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

TheKingpin28
September 10th, 2016, 10:36 AM
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+does+that+have+to+do+with+the+price+of+tea +in+china%3F

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 10:37 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+does+that+have+to+do+with+the+price+of+tea +in+china%3F

There you have it

TheKingpin28
September 10th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Hopefully that helps. The point was until SDSU gets back to the ferocity that we have discussed, I do not think it would make a difference. We see what has happened since the turn of the decade. Also, I just wanted to make sure I poked the bear a little. I have not been on the loose lately and I am bored waiting for the games to start.

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Hopefully that helps. The point was until SDSU gets back to the ferocity that we have discussed, I do not think it would make a difference. We see what has happened since the turn of the decade. Also, I just wanted to make sure I poked the bear a little. I have not been on the loose lately and I am bored waiting for the games to start.

Still has nothing to do with my daydream of getting him to coach at SDSU.

CID1990
September 12th, 2016, 01:02 PM

Look at their APR and you'll have your answer. Chadwell might be the only person with any competence at that school, but then we'll never know exactly how good a recruiter he is until he coaches at a school that actually has minimum academic standards for athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk