PDA

View Full Version : JSU @ LSU: David vs. Goliath

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2016, 01:27 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/120443/the-plan-for-jacksonville-state-to-take-down-goliath-lsu-this-weekend

I went back and watched LSU vs Wisconsin and I've been poking around and doing some research on our opponent for this weekend and it seems a LOT like Auburn from last year. Last week LSU only managed one offensive touchdown and that came off of a Wisconsin fumble that set LSU up about 20 yards outside the red zone. Even Fournette wasn't much help to LSU's offense because of poor play by the offensive line. The offensive line also isn't doing any favors for struggling Brandon Harris (who reminds me a lot of Jeremy Johnson from last year). With Les Mile's refusal to open up the offense I think we might have a chance to get some stops. I think the game will come down to two things:

1.) Will we be able to contain Fournette and get LSU to put the ball in Harris' hands?

Obviously we aren't going to shut down Fournette, we aren't Bama... or the Bison. We just have to contain him so he doesn't run on us at will. If we can force 2nd and long or 3rd and long there's a good chance LSU is going to put it up. Heck they threw on first down in FG range at Wisconsin (with timeouts) and it cost them the game.

Harris looked less than impressive last season and even against Wisconsin. He went 12-21 completing 57% of his passes for 131 yards, 1 TD, and 2 picks against the Cheeseheads. Last season he only completed 53.8% of his passes. If we can force a throwing situation on 3rd down I don't trust Harris to be able to convert.

2.) Can the offense move the ball?

Obviously this is pretty elementary but it's important. Last year we could move the ball against Auburn. We out gained them with 438 yards and won the TOP battle with 35:25 to 23:37. Keeping Auburn's defense on the field early and often helped us keep it close down the stretch because of the obvious difference in depth. The same will go for LSU. We are deep in the offensive linemen department. If we can keep LSU's offense off the field and save our defense from Fournette's bashing as much as we can and keep them fresh we should be able to hang in with them going down the stretch.

Offensively, Eli and Barge are going to be the keys to success here. With Eli and Roc in the backfield LSU will have to respect our ability to run and Barge should be matched up with Tre' Davious White which should help out our other receivers.

I expect we will use a game plan similar to what we used at Auburn. Lots of screens, zone reads, work the sidelines, take what we get, keep LSU's offense off the field. Obviously we will need to play mistake free football and have more cohesiveness than we did at UNA.

LSU is stuffed to the gills with talent but coaching and poor play by Harris might keep us in it.

What do ya think? Can we pull it off or am I just crazy?

On another note: I've been poking around LSU's fan boards and even a good portion of them think we will keep it tight or even win because of their offense. A lot of them have lost all hope and want us to win solely so they can dump Les Miles. Pretty entertaining stuff. xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
September 8th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Two things....

1.) Miles won't run up the score on you. At least I don't think he will.
2.) He's going to make some offensive calls that will leave you scratching your head. He'll put LSU into down and distance situations that don't make sense, simply so he can watch his kids compete.
2a.) LSU's offense is rather bland to begin with, so don't expect much more than vanilla
2b.) You probably can't stop Fournette...but you can slow him down considerably. He's human, despite what the hype machine says...The goal would be to try to hold him to something other than what he typically averages per carry.

Schism55
September 8th, 2016, 02:03 PM
1. Why can't Les Miles get a good QB at LSU?? They have been bad at that position for years now.
2. You can bet Les will be playing the Jax St Auburn game from last year on a loop, you won't catch the bayou bengals unaware.
3. Since going to LSU, Les is something like 24-3 in games after a loss.

Like LSU to win by 2 scores in a low scoring game, but no chance I'm betting on this game.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2016, 02:08 PM
1. Why can't Les Miles get a good QB at LSU?? They have been bad at that position for years now.
2. You can bet Les will be playing the Jax St Auburn game from last year on a loop, you won't catch the bayou bengals unaware.
3. Since going to LSU, Les is something like 24-3 in games after a loss.

Like LSU to win by 2 scores in a low scoring game, but no chance I'm betting on this game.
I've been seeing that stat a lot. Along with how LSU is like 45-5 at home at night since 2005.

But before last week they were 21-1 in their last 22 season openers so I don't put much stock into those.

Sammy94
September 8th, 2016, 02:19 PM

In Baton Rouge?? Towson was the best FCS competition in recent memory and that game was 3 scores.

Tiger land will be pissed, I see a 42-20 game.

McNeese75
September 8th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Have fun, enjoy the atmosphere and hold them under the spread and it will all be good. But, AGS, who knows.

AND if you score one touchdown, you will have accomplished more than ULL has ever done in Tiger Stadium :D

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Have fun, enjoy the atmosphere and hold them under the spread and it will all be good. But, AGS, who knows.

AND if you score one touchdown, you will have accomplished more than ULL has ever done in Tiger Stadium :D
What are the odds they throw things at us... I've heard some stories....

McNeese75
September 8th, 2016, 02:26 PM

You are not Alabama, Florida or Auburn so the fans will bore you with "Tiger bait, Tiger bait" chants all day but don't expect anything really bad unless you go looking for it. Then on the other hand, you are from Alabama and your colors include Red so who knows what may fall from the skies xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
September 8th, 2016, 02:27 PM
The unfortunate part is LSU is coming off the loss to Wisconsin. If they had just rolled through Wisconsin I could see them looking over JSU to Miss St. Sadly, though, Wisconsin beat them, and Miss St lost to South Alabama. So hard to say they will be looking past you to the Bulldogs.

Sammy94
September 8th, 2016, 02:36 PM

Everybody we ran into were very friendly, we had no issues at all.

FearTheBeak
September 8th, 2016, 03:14 PM
There is a Large amount of parallels between this LSU team and the Auburn team we faced last year. I was at that game, and the only reason I feel that we were able to stay competitive for the whole game was because Jeremy Johnson was playing the worst game of his career. I agree that LSU seems very vulnerable at the moment, but I am having a hard time seeing us stopping their offense enough to stay in it for 4 quarters. I think the only way we stay in this game, is if that injury Fournette got last week is still bothering him, Harris is still struggling on 3rd down, and if our offense is putting up points every quarter, we cant afford to fizz out. I think JSU can pull a win if they manage to make this one a shoot out, because I believe the LSU offense would begin to make mistakes if the game hinged on them, but if the pace of the game slows down, they will just grind us out.

Mocs123
September 8th, 2016, 03:25 PM
As hard as it is for me I will be a JSU fan Saturday. Go get them. I would feel better about your chances of they weren't coming off a loss.

LSU is always loaded with talent but have problems putting it together. I have no idea why they can't get a good QB.

Daytripper
September 8th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Stack the box to stop the run. Play press coverage on their wide-outs. Make Harris beat you. It's your only chance to be competitive.

UNIFanSince1983
September 8th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Stack the box to stop the run. Play press coverage on their wide-outs. Make Harris beat you. It's your only chance to be competitive.

Good luck. Fournette still got 138 against Wisconsin and averaged 6ypc.

I think the real help is if Miles decides to just go all Miles and just make stupid play calls.

Daytripper
September 8th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Good luck. Fournette still got 138 against Wisconsin and averaged 6ypc.

I think the real help is if Miles decides to just go all Miles and just make stupid play calls.

If JSU can hold Fournette to 150 and two scores, they have a chance.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2016, 04:05 PM
If JSU can hold Fournette to 150 and two scores, they have a chance.
This.

Like I said, we don't have to shut him down, we just need to make sure that everytime he gets the ball he doesn't take it past the chains. If we stop him once on first down we have a chance. Also I'm sure there will be plenty of play action sprinkled throughout LSU's Gameplan. Better for us IMO.

Also, Fournette had really garbage stats most of the game vs Wisconsin. He only finished out 6 YPC cause he ripped off a couple big ones near the end.

McNeese75
September 8th, 2016, 04:42 PM
This.

Like I said, we don't have to shut him down, we just need to make sure that everytime he gets the ball he doesn't take it past the chains. If we stop him once on first down we have a chance. Also I'm sure there will be plenty of play action sprinkled throughout LSU's Gameplan. Better for us IMO.

Also, Fournette had really garbage stats most of the game vs Wisconsin. He only finished out 6 YPC cause he ripped off a couple big ones near the end.

Yeah, and you can probably expect a couple of those this week as well xnodx. Big fast back, late in the game after they have ground you down, it happens.

mamberso
September 8th, 2016, 06:00 PM
You are not Alabama, Florida or Auburn so the fans will bore you with "Tiger bait, Tiger bait" chants all day but don't expect anything really bad unless you go looking for it. Then on the other hand, you are from Alabama and your colors include Red so who knows what may fall from the skies xlolx
We will have our typical idiots who wear Alabama clothing to the game. Whatever, if the LSU fans heckle them, I will probably join in.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Cocky
September 8th, 2016, 07:39 PM
If we stay within 30, Ill be amazed. LSU has lots more talent than last years Auburn team.

TheRevSFA
September 8th, 2016, 08:09 PM

I got a tiger bait chant in January because I was wearing an Arkansas shirt (mom's school) and I calmly reminded them that Arkansas whooped their ass for the golden boot....

LSU fans are idiots. Sorry. Can't stand them. I root for any team who plays against them

UNHWildcat18
September 8th, 2016, 08:43 PM
LSU 45-17

SU DOG
September 8th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Better look at your own team also. Roc Thomas looked like slow motion last week. Twenty carries with less than 4 yds/ carry. The WRs could get absolutely no separation from the DBs of TUNA, although, I know, Barge wasn't playing. Your own announcers saying the Gamecocks were ranked too high. I'm not saying JSU is no good this year, but they are nowhere near the team I saw last season - at least not at this point. I just don't see another Auburn type game here for JSU. Hope for no injuries, a fun trip, and money in the bank. 48-14 LSU.

chattownmocs
September 9th, 2016, 01:04 AM
Jacksonville state is trash. If LSU decides they want to destroy you they will. Any chance you have relates to LSU completely laying down. Stfu.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Jacksonville state is trash. If LSU decides they want to destroy you they will. Any chance you have relates to LSU completely laying down. Stfu.
xthumbsupx

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CVfqDRvVEAAVtbB.mp4

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Josh Barge is currently listed as questionable for the game due to his foot injury during camp. He was a game-time decision for UNA last Thursday and initial projections had him back to 100% for LSU.

We we need him to play. He's the only receiver I feel comfortable having lined up across from Tre'Davious White. We need him to help open up the offense and I haven't heard anything else on his status since the injury happened.

Kind of wondering if they are keeping him under the radar on purpose.

SU DOG
September 9th, 2016, 10:43 AM
I am much more interested in the status of JSU's Keegan Hill. His problem makes football seem less relevant, as I understand he is fighting for his life at UAB hospital. I have him on my prayer list and I have posted his story on the Samford Message Board. Please update whenever you have any info - Thanks.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2016, 02:33 PM
I am much more interested in the status of JSU's Keegan Hill. His problem makes football seem less relevant, as I understand he is fighting for his life at UAB hospital. I have him on my prayer list and I have posted his story on the Samford Message Board. Please update whenever you have any info - Thanks.
Haven't heard any updates on his status lately. Hoping he makes a speedy and full recovery.

It's been a very rough week here...

dgtw
September 9th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Thank you for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KPSUL
September 9th, 2016, 05:46 PM
In Baton Rouge?? Towson was the best FCS competition in recent memory and that game was 3 scores.

Tiger land will be pissed, I see a 42-20 game.

I remember that Towson game. Towson stayed real close in the 1st half.

The Yo Show
September 9th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Go JSU! I think you have a chance. Les Miles already proved he won't change up his offensive scheme.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Go JSU! I think you have a chance. Les Miles already proved he won't change up his offensive scheme.
Yeah, we will sink or swim depending on LSU's offense and whether they can keep our offense off the feild.

Word on the street is Fournette is out.

Which.
Is.
HUGE.

Also,

http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/09/2016-sec-football-predictions-week-2/

Schism55
September 9th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Yeah, we will sink or swim depending on LSU's offense and whether they can keep our offense off the feild.

Word on the street is Fournette is out.

Which.
Is.
HUGE.

Also,

http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/09/2016-sec-football-predictions-week-2/
Tell word on the street to lay off the crack pipe..if Fournette is out no way they make that known til game time.
If Jax st wins, does Les get fired??

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Tell word on the street to lay off the crack pipe..if Fournette is out no way they make that known til game time.
If Jax st wins, does Les get fired??
Les has been really shady all week on Fournette's status. He stated today in an interview that Fournette is a game time decision and I've seen multiple posters on the LSU boards saying they've been told Fournette is out by sources in the program.

Like you said though, we won't know for sure until gametime. But I'll take a maybe over a "yes, he'll play". Hope is a nice feeling.

If we win Les Miles will be ran out of Baton Rouge and Tiger Stadium will probably light itself on fire. All hell would break loose and it's exciting.

RabidRabbit
September 9th, 2016, 09:22 PM

Seriously? xbangx Rajun Cajuns are that inept in Death Valley?

Good luck knocking off ULLaf there Pokes.

McNeese75
September 9th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Seriously? xbangx Rajun Cajuns are that inept in Death Valley?

Good luck knocking off ULLaf there Pokes.

OH yeah, big brother makes of point of putting them in their place when they show up in Death Valley. Last I heard ULL was demanding a home and home instead of just going there to play again, LOL. That will frickin NEVER happen. I sure hope we beat those pricks tomorrow night ;)

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2016, 10:15 PM
OH yeah, big brother makes of point of putting them in their place when they show up in Death Valley. Last I heard ULL was demanding a home and home instead of just going there to play again, LOL. That will frickin NEVER happen. I sure hope we beat those pricks tomorrow night ;)
Two Lousiana FBS takedowns in one night? Let's do it.

chattownmocs
September 9th, 2016, 10:21 PM
RIP to your fellow southerner katie beth carter from my neck of the woods. She died in a car crash the other day on her way back to school.

melloware13
September 9th, 2016, 10:54 PM
I remember that Towson game. Towson stayed real close in the 1st half.
I half remember turning it on in my apartment to the chagrin of my roommates. I had started indulging for the night so had a bit of vocal shock when I saw that Towson wasn't being obliterated.

JSUSoutherner
September 10th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Just arrived to a sea of boos, middle fingers, and other various taunts.

Nice people.

Gonna be a fun night. xnodx

JSUSoutherner
September 10th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Currently on lightning delay here in Baton Rouge.

Hood
September 10th, 2016, 06:50 PM
If JSU wins, the first JSUre to track me down in South LA gets a beer or two.

CHIP72
September 10th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Isn't this game more like a Goliath of Brobdingnag vs. a Goliath of Lillput?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
September 10th, 2016, 07:58 PM
We're moving the ball and LSU hasn't had a single first down in two drives. I like how this game I going.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Sick punt return by LSU!

JSUSoutherner
September 10th, 2016, 09:33 PM
****ing penalties.

We have dog**** kick coverage.

We can't catch a single thing.

Our defense can't tackle to save their freaking lives.

I'm legitimately disgusted. This is embarrassing.