PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross at New Hampshire

crusader11
September 6th, 2016, 10:32 AM
For the first time in 80 years, UNH plays in a "new" stadium this Saturday night against Holy Cross.

In my mind, a critical early-season game for both teams -- HC has an opportunity to establish themselves as a team to beat in the PL and a true playoff contender, while UNH looks to avoid beginning the season 0-2; the last time that happened to begin the season was 2002.

If HC and the PL is to be recognized as legitimate on a national level (no more excuses, they now have four scholarship classes), these are games they have to start to win.

UNH and CAA pundits, please educate me on what HC should expect on Saturday night. It seems like UNH is pretty inexperienced at QB, which is something fairly unusual for them, as they always seem to be very solid at that position.

Conversely, HC's offense is top notch -- probably the best they've been since 2009, which was the final season of the Dom Randolph era.

This should be a really, really good New England college football game. Can't wait!

Go Green
September 6th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Dartmouth will certainly be watching that game with interest.

:)

UNHWildcat18
September 6th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Well HC beat a really ****ty team, and UNH lost to a really good FBS team. Not much to compare to, I'm sure the game will be competitive.

KPSUL
September 6th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I don't think either team's game one gives us a clear idea how this one will go. I think everyone assumes it will be close, although that was the case weeks ago. Defensive Tackles and QB were the biggest question mark going into the season. On the plus side our DTs, Linebackers pretty much held there own against a big, experienced SDS OLine and running attack. UNH stacked the box and left themselves vulnerable to the pass; which SDS did fairly effectively. You can bet the Wildcats won't play that way against HC. We have experience and depth at DE and LB, not so much in the secondary so UNH will try to put a lot of pressure on your QB and not dedicate 75% of the defensive resources to stopping the run. At QB the coaching staff has a common dilemma; how much to play an adequate experienced back-up Senior, vs an inexperienced Red-Shirt Fr who seems to have a little more raw talent. Most of us seem to think we have a good cadre of running backs, but we haven't seen it yet either in the SDS game or the Blue-White game a couple weeks. The O-Line looks solid and we have some real good receivers, although a couple are out with minor injuries and suspension.

As far as intangibles, I'd have to think they all favor UNH. Home, playing in the newly renovated stadium. There was always a huge home field advantage I don't think newer, better facilities will change that. UNH has a history of winning close games, particularly at home. As talented as your QB may be, HC didn't seem to be able to win the close games against the better teams you played last season.

Mattymc727
September 6th, 2016, 01:22 PM
UNH holds a vaunted SDSU offense to 31 points, they hold HC to less than 30.

HC gave up 24 points to Morgan State, which leads me to believe UNH will put up more than 30 on HC.

Factor in 10 points for UNH for home field and hype of new stadium and environment.

42-24 UNH over Holy Cross.

Lehigh'98
September 6th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Line is only UNH -3 here. Bit suprising given they are at home. Fishy...

Schism55
September 6th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Line is only UNH -3 here. Bit suprising given they are at home. Fishy...
Perhaps the oddsmakers watched UNH inept offensive performance?

Lehigh'98
September 6th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Perhaps the oddsmakers watched UNH inept offensive performance?

Different beast at home vs west coast FBS game.

Catsfan90
September 6th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Looks like 80℅ chance of rain Saturday night as of now. Hopefully that changes.

Go...gate
September 6th, 2016, 09:26 PM
How does the renovated UNH ballpark look?

NY Crusader 2010
September 6th, 2016, 10:40 PM
I have no idea what to expect on Saturday - really nothing to compare between the teams' one performance each so far. The logic of UNHFan@RWU makes sense but I'm not giving the Wildcats TEN points for home field advantage and I don't see them going from zero points to forty-two in one week. The Morgan State team we just beat up on probably wouldn't even sniff the Top 25 in Division II. And there is very little to be read from UNH's drubbing in San Diego other than that they are at this moment unproven on offense. That being said, they also got smoked by San Jose State in similar fashion last year to open the year and still managed to have a playoff season.

I've been looking forward to attending this game since it was announced but have an engagement party to go to in Northern Westchester Saturday afternoon. As of now, my plan is to get a bar in Danbury, CT to put the game on for me since it's on NESN.

crusader11
September 7th, 2016, 08:19 AM
UNH holds a vaunted SDSU offense to 31 points, they hold HC to less than 30.

HC gave up 24 points to Morgan State, which leads me to believe UNH will put up more than 30 on HC.

Factor in 10 points for UNH for home field and hype of new stadium and environment.

42-24 UNH over Holy Cross.

Interesting logic.

Vegas has UNH -3. If this game was played at a neutral site, it would be a pick 'em. Playing in Durahm isn't worth ten points.

UNHWildcat18
September 7th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Interesting logic.

Vegas has UNH -3. If this game was played at a neutral site, it would be a pick 'em. Playing in Durahm isn't worth ten points.

You say that but I believe UNH is 34-4 or something like that since 2010, with some of those wins coming against teams where UNH was the underdog such as richmond last year and Nova two years ago.

crusader11
September 7th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Non-scholarship HC was tied with UNH 32-32 in the final minutes in 2011 in Durham.

We'll see. Saturday will be fun.

Catsfan90
September 7th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Non-scholarship HC was tied with UNH 32-32 in the final minutes in 2011 in Durham.

We'll see. Saturday will be fun.
5 years ago has no bearing. The same players aren't even on the team anymore. looking forward to it!

crusader11
September 7th, 2016, 11:06 AM
5 years ago has no bearing. The same players aren't even on the team anymore. looking forward to it!

I was responding to Cat18 who went back to 2010.

Gater
September 7th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Seems like the right time to bring up this:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?148314-Lafayette-at-New-Hampshire&highlight=lafayette+vs.+hampshire

KPSUL
September 7th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Seems like the right time to bring up this:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?148314-Lafayette-at-New-Hampshire&highlight=lafayette+vs.+hampshire

or not!

KPSUL
September 7th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Dartmouth will certainly be watching that game with interest.

:)

We'll be watching your game with interest....oh wait, you play your first game against UNH don't you?

Go Green
September 7th, 2016, 12:34 PM
We'll be watching your game with interest....oh wait, you play your first game against UNH don't you?

Yep. The Ivy takes their "bye" weeks the first two weeks of the season.

Vermont
September 10th, 2016, 06:34 PM
2nd straight Patriot League game going wrong way for the Wildcats. HC dominating on offense, defense, and on the scoreboard. 14-0 with 5 min left in Q1

crusader11
September 10th, 2016, 06:36 PM
HC the better team.

Sader87
September 10th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Now you did it 11 xdrunkyx

crusader11
September 10th, 2016, 06:50 PM
All of the beers, 87!

Go Cross!

Go...gate
September 10th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Keep up the good work, Holy Cross!

crusader11
September 10th, 2016, 07:03 PM
21-6 HC with 9 left in the 2nd.

crusader11
September 10th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Poor tackling from HC...now HC 21-13 midway through the 2nd.

crusader11
September 10th, 2016, 07:35 PM
HC leads 21-13 at the half, and gets the ball to begin the second.

Go Green
September 10th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Two teams with a lot of talent.

Dartmouth will have its hands full against both of them.

crusader11
September 10th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Now 21-19. HC with a big stop on UNH's 2 PT conversion, but the lead has shrunk from 21-6. We need points on this next drive.

Vermont
September 10th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Now you did it 11 xdrunkyx

Yep. UNH has improved as game as gone along. Neither team can really play any D, though. 21-19 Cross in Q3

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 08:17 PM
TD HC!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 08:27 PM
TD UNH! Blocked PAT...

HC 28-25 2:53 3Q

Crusaders defense is still shaky. But they have Pujals....

crusader11
September 10th, 2016, 08:29 PM
UNH has failed on three of four conversions after TD. That's the difference now. 28-25 HC.

Pujals looking like one of the top QBs in the country.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 08:35 PM
TD UNH on a quick strike passing TD after a punt!

UNH now leads 32-28

Vermont
September 10th, 2016, 08:37 PM
UNH unstoppable on O since Q1

Sader87
September 10th, 2016, 08:39 PM
we have a very good offense....our D is still very much a work in progress

crusader11
September 10th, 2016, 08:52 PM
HC ball early in the 4th, down 32-28.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 09:16 PM
UNH 1st and goal...HC needs a stop!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 09:20 PM
HC forces a huge fumble!! C'mon Crusaders!

Vermont
September 10th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Fame should be over. 2 NH turnovers in end zone on 2 consecutive drives

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 09:28 PM
HC converted a 4th down deep in their territory. They need to make UNH pay for those turnovers...

Vermont
September 10th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Game is on the line. UNH can end it with a 4th and - 1 conversion

Vermont
September 10th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Nope. Great stuff by Cross

Vermont
September 10th, 2016, 09:35 PM
All American DeAndrade ends it with Pick 6.

- - - Updated - - -

39-38 UNH.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops. 39-28

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2016, 09:37 PM
UNH will win it. HC played tough but really didn't play well on offense or defense in the second half.

PL with an all too predicable 0-3 against the CAA today imo. Lehigh and HC had their chances but never seem to get over the hump anymore...

dwtime
September 10th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Whew thank you Holy Cross head coach for going for it twice on 4th down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sader87
September 10th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Whew thank you Holy Cross head coach for going for it twice on 4th down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gilmore may well be the worst coach at an FCS school that cares about football.....

dwtime
September 10th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Gilmore may well be the worst coach at an FCS school that cares about football.....

You know what he had (us) UNH dead in the water and let us win the game. You are right, no way should they have lost that game but I'll take it.

- - - Updated - - -

UNH needs an offensive coordinator, Carty doesn't cut it at the FCS level.

crusader11
September 10th, 2016, 09:58 PM

The 3rd and 2 run into the line was terrible.

That said, we will be a top two team in the PL this seaso.

dwtime
September 10th, 2016, 10:04 PM

Pretty good QB but he should have been picked twice more in the game.

Sader87
September 10th, 2016, 10:04 PM

Hooray!!!!

Mattymc727
September 10th, 2016, 11:28 PM
Attendance was 13,242 tonight. Largest non homecoming crowd since 1977. Great game as well.

Sader87
September 10th, 2016, 11:33 PM
UNH pulled out the win today.....my beef with Gilmore is that he has the reins to one of the most historic programs in FCS, now with full scholarships, and yet continues to find ways to lose in seemingly every way possible.

If Holy Cross is really serious about football, Gilmore really can't be retained if he wins 5 or 6 games this year.

Go Green
September 11th, 2016, 08:34 AM
UNH pulled out the win today.....my beef with Gilmore is that he has the reins to one of the most historic programs in FCS, now with full scholarships, and yet continues to find ways to lose in seemingly every way possible.

If Holy Cross is really serious about football, Gilmore really can't be retained if he wins 5 or 6 games this year.

Gilmore is the Mike Scioscia of coaches. Milking one championship for all its worth. :)

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2016, 09:14 AM

Since joining I-AA, HC is 196-180-3 (.521). That's not historic, but then, none of the PL teams really are anymore. The historic programs are those with multiple championships: Youngstown State, App State, Georgia Southern, Montana, North Dakota State.

KPSUL
September 11th, 2016, 09:30 AM
As far as intangibles, I'd have to think they all favor UNH. Home, playing in the newly renovated stadium. There was always a huge home field advantage I don't think newer, better facilities will change that. UNH has a history of winning close games, particularly at home. As talented as your QB may be, HC didn't seem to be able to win the close games against the better teams you played last season.

Same thoughts after the game. Holy Cross has very good talent, although physically, as the game went on, UNH wore them down. Coaching shortfalls may contribute, but Holy Cross continues to blow leads and lose close games. They are not going to be champions of anything without changing that. Colgate doesn't run out of steam, and clearly showed they could win the must-win games last season.

Mattymc727
September 11th, 2016, 12:40 PM
HC has a very good QB and some really good offensive weapons. I wouldn't be shocked if they win the PL. They should be able to put up 35 a game in that league.

When UNH switched from that awful first half defensive scheme, they pretty much dominated HC in the second. UNH was the better team except at QB and maybe the secondary.

Mattymc727
September 11th, 2016, 12:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm3ucXOVPtA