PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Washington @ NDSU

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Might as well get this one started.

What do you guys think the "keys" to the game are for both teams?

My 2$:

For EWU:

- Start fast and get ahead of the Bison to take the crowd out of the game. Make NDSU play catch up.
- No turnovers.....at all.
- Slow down the Bison power running game. Make Stick move the chains with his arm.
- EWU will have to have some type of semblance of a running game. If NDSU just pins their ears back and rushes the passer, it will be a long day for the Eagles.

For NDSU:

- Run the ball and run it some more. EWU's defense has been horrible the last 5 years, especially against the run. Eat clock with the run and keep the EWU passing game on the sideline.
- Make EWU 1-dimensional. Take away the run,
- Jump out to a lead and make EWU pass the ball to win. NDSU's DL is very good and they will test EWU's young OL.
- Punting needs to get better. Play the field position game and make EWU march the whole field to score.

IMO, if NDSU runs for 250+ or over 300, which I think they will, this game could be a rout. Make EWU stack the box to stop the run. Roll ES out to pass or run if need be. ES could have a huge day running the ball.

Watching the EWU/WSU game, the Bison should be able to run the ball against that defense. Kupp will be a huge challenge for the secondary. That is where the NDSU DL comes into play. Pressure the QB and make him make mistakes. NDSU has seen all kinds of versions of the spread and here comes another one.

I'm looking forward to this match up.

Bisonator
September 4th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Bison need to pound the rock and keep EWU's offense off the field. Long sustained drives on offense will be key. Our dline needs to get after their QB and our DB's need to step up a lot. Can't get in a shootout with EWU. That's exactly what they will want to do. I'm not concerned with our punter as I don't think we will need him much in this game. This will be a huge test for our green secondary. I hope they are up to the task.

Twentysix
September 4th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Keys to the game
EWU: Cooper Kupp & NDSU DBs

NDSU: Everything else.

I see vs WSU Kupp had a good game passing, catching, and running the ball. **** that guy.

Seriously, whos this guy think he is Matt Sczczuczczczur?

22 yds passing 1/1 22 yd avg

29 yds rushing 2 carries 14.5 yd avg

206 yds recieving 12 receptions 3 TDs 17.2 yd avg

How does EWU keep getting these good QBs? 34/40 474 yds 5TD 1INT

jfc. Oregon found its next QB.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Bison need to pound the rock and keep EWU's offense off the field. Long sustained drives on offense will be key. Our dline needs to get after their QB and our DB's need to step up a lot. Can't get in a shootout with EWU. That's exactly what they will want to do. I'm not concerned with our punter as I don't think we will need him much in this game. This will be a huge test for our green secondary. I hope they are up to the task.

Maybe but he still needs to do better IMO.

WSU had 515 yards of offense against EWU, with only 97 being rushing. Neither team is a rushing team.

I agree that EWU will want to turn it into a track meet.

Twentysix
September 4th, 2016, 11:31 AM

WSU had 515 yards of offense against EWU, with only 97 being rushing. Neither team is a rushing team.

Except NDSU will be doing the 91.4 meter event and EWU will be doing javelin

Bisonator
September 4th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Keys to the game

I see vs WSU Kupp had a good game passing, catching, and running the ball. **** that guy.

xlolx any chance he leaves before our game?:D

Bisonator
September 4th, 2016, 11:34 AM

Oh absolutely he needs to get better but if we have to punt more then a couple times in this game it's not going to be good for us anyway.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Oh absolutely he needs to get better but if we have to punt more then a couple times in this game it's not going to be good for us anyway.

Thinking about this some more.....we probably will not need the punter much....xlolx

The crowd needs to bring its A game also. We need to be louder than the CSU game.

kalm
September 4th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Might as well get this one started.

What do you guys think the "keys" to the game are for both teams?

My 2$:

For EWU:

- Start fast and get ahead of the Bison to take the crowd out of the game. Make NDSU play catch up.
- No turnovers.....at all.
- Slow down the Bison power running game. Make Stick move the chains with his arm.
- EWU will have to have some type of semblance of a running game. If NDSU just pins their ears back and rushes the passer, it will be a long day for the Eagles.

For NDSU:

- Run the ball and run it some more. EWU's defense has been horrible the last 5 years, especially against the run. Eat clock with the run and keep the EWU passing game on the sideline.
- Make EWU 1-dimensional. Take away the run,
- Jump out to a lead and make EWU pass the ball to win. NDSU's DL is very good and they will test EWU's young OL.
- Punting needs to get better. Play the field position game and make EWU march the whole field to score.

IMO, if NDSU runs for 250+ or over 300, which I think they will, this game could be a rout. Make EWU stack the box to stop the run. Roll ES out to pass or run if need be. ES could have a huge day running the ball.

Watching the EWU/WSU game, the Bison should be able to run the ball against that defense. Kupp will be a huge challenge for the secondary. That is where the NDSU DL comes into play. Pressure the QB and make him make mistakes. NDSU has seen all kinds of versions of the spread and here comes another one.

I'm looking forward to this match up.

Good thoughts BFNM.

I obviously feel better about this game after yesterday. The defense gave up a ton of yardage but most teams will to WSU. What I liked was that we were able to get some stops early and keep them from scoring in the second half until around 6 minutes to go. I also liked that were up in press coverage more than in the past. We're still relatively young in the secondary but that means the staff has some confidence in the athleticism. We can give up 300 yards rushing and still win games. We've been doing that with Cal Poly for years.

On offense, there's clearly a reason why they left a kid on the bench who was leading the FCS in many passing categories halfway through last year. Gubrud is fast and the read option is an interesting wrinkle. Vernon was more of a Tarkenton type, improvising and buying time to make plays.

Last night, there were quite a few called run plays and jet sweeps for Gubrud and the receivers. That threat forces a decision. Keep help against the best receiving corps in FCS or commit another defender to the read option? Pick your poison. And Gubrud gets the ball out FAST on passing plays. We use some motion but also tons of roll outs and crossing routes to keep a defense on its toes. 1-2 seconds and it's gone most of the time. Slants and crossing routes to the flat were open all night and you saw far less deep/slow developing routes. There's still some similarities, but you can already see Troy Taylor's stamp on the offensive scheme.

NDSU's speed to the point of attack and tackling in the front seven is terrific. It's going to be fun to watch this one.

kalm
September 4th, 2016, 11:53 AM
And yes, making NDSU try to beat us with a Stick is definitely the game plan. He has talent, but is still young and misses quite a few throws. He's not the surgical, pick a defense apart, type...at least yet.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Good thoughts BFNM.

I obviously feel better about this game after yesterday. The defense gave up a ton of yardage but most teams will to WSU. What I liked was that we were able to get some stops early and keep them from scoring in the second half until around 6 minutes to go. I also liked that were up in press coverage more than in the past. We're still relatively young in the secondary but that means the staff has some confidence in the athleticism. We can give up 300 yards rushing and still win games. We've been doing that with Cal Poly for years.

On offense, there's clearly a reason why they left a kid on the bench who was leading the FCS in many passing categories halfway through last year. Gubrud is fast and the read option is an interesting wrinkle. Vernon was more of a Tarkenton type, improvising and buying time to make plays.

Last night, there were quite a few called run plays and jet sweeps for Gubrud and the receivers. That threat forces a decision. Keep help against the best receiving corps in FCS or commit another defender to the read option? Pick your poison. And Gubrud gets the ball out FAST on passing plays. We use some motion but also tons of roll outs and crossing routes to keep a defense on its toes. 1-2 seconds and it's gone most of the time. Slants and crossing routes to the flat were open all night and you saw far less deep/slow developing routes. There's still some similarities, but you can already see Troy Taylor's stamp on the offensive scheme.

NDSU's speed to the point of attack and tackling in the front seven is terrific. It's going to be fun to watch this one.

This is where NDSU's defense has shined the last 6 years. LBs that can cover WRs because of their speed.

I love these kind of fast break teams playing the Bison.

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2016, 11:54 AM
The real key seems like EWU's ability to stop the run. If they can't, I don't see any way they win.

kalm
September 4th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Keys to the game

That last line is NOT FUNNY! Not one goddam bit!

(I actually had the same thought driving home last night. :D)

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 11:56 AM
And yes, making NDSU try to beat us with a Stick is definitely the game plan. He has talent, but is still young and misses quite a few throws. He's not the surgical, pick a defense apart, type...at least yet.

Many times if teams run blitz or bring extra rushers, the guy that is not accounted for is the QB and Stick is a very good runner. He could have a big day running the ball.

Twentysix
September 4th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Keep help against the best receiving corps in FCS or commit another defender to the read option?

Careful you might trigger the Samford fans.

kalm
September 4th, 2016, 12:00 PM
This is where NDSU's defense has shined the last 6 years. LBs that can cover WRs because of their speed.

I love these kind of fast break teams playing the Bison.

Agreed which is why we've looked forward to this matchup in the playoffs every year and it's sucked not holding up our end of the bargain. But I'm not sure you've seen many offenses this dynamic, over that stretch. Montana gave you fits in the first game last year as did CCU in the playoffs a few years back.

- - - Updated - - -

Many times if teams run blitz or bring extra rushers, the guy that is not accounted for is the QB and Stick is a very good runner. He could have a big day running the ball.

That's my biggest concern. xnodx

- - - Updated - - -

Careful you might trigger the Samford fans.

Who?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Agreed which is why we've looked forward to this matchup in the playoffs every year and it's sucked not holding up our end of the bargain. But I'm not sure you've seen many offenses this dynamic, over that stretch. Montana gave you fits in the first game last year as did CCU in the playoffs a few years back.

Well, JSU was pretty darn good offensively last year along with Richmond.

If NDSU can get consistent pressure with just the 4 DL guys then it will be a long day for the Eagles. If NDSU has to bring extra rushers then that might be the poison for the Bison with that Eagle passing game.

NDSU had 260 yards rushing against a very good CSU defense and EWU's defense is nothing like CSU's. Can EWU do better? IMO, they will have to in order to win. If NDSU grinds out 6-7-8 minutes drives with the running game, this game will be a rout. Yes, EWU has a dynamic offense but NDSU has proven over and over that their defense is more than capable of stopping it or really slowing it down.

kalm
September 4th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Well, JSU was pretty darn good offensively last year along with Richmond.

If NDSU can get consistent pressure with just the 4 DL guys then it will be a long day for the Eagles. If NDSU has to bring extra rushers then that might be the poison for the Bison with that Eagle passing game.

NDSU had 260 yards rushing against a very good CSU defense and EWU's defense is nothing like CSU's. Can EWU do better? IMO, they will have to in order to win. If NDSU grinds out 6-7-8 minutes drives with the running game, this game will be a rout. Yes, EWU has a dynamic offense but NDSU has proven over and over that their defense is more than capable of stopping it or really slowing it down.

JSU and Richmond both had good offenses, but neither passing game or QB were at the level we're use to seeing (at least up until the last 3 games last year xsmhx) I'm also optimistic that the new wrinkles on O will make it even more effective.

And you're not the first ball control offense we've faced. We've done fairly well against similar offenses from the Valley and Poly as previously mentioned. There's no question that's your recipe for winning and it certainly may tell the story in the end. My point is that even if you control the ball with long drives and gain 300 + yards that still doesn't guarantee a win as suggest.

taper
September 4th, 2016, 12:47 PM
NDSU might get 40 minutes of possession and lose the game. When's the last time that happened?

Drblankstare
September 4th, 2016, 03:23 PM

Stick has done a great job, but there are a few throws each game that are really dangerous. You see teams jumping the short routes and he's not seeing it.

Catbooster
September 4th, 2016, 03:50 PM
That last line is NOT FUNNY! Not one goddam bit!

(I actually had the same thought driving home last night. :D)
Just make sure he doesn't graduate before his eligibility runs out. Maybe some good parties the night before finals in the spring? xdrunkyx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 4th, 2016, 07:03 PM
Are we making score predictions yet? I'll take EWU 38-31 in OT.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 07:18 PM
NDSU might get 40 minutes of possession and lose the game. When's the last time that happened?

Probably never.

If NDSU has 40 minutes of TOP, they win.

Since 2011, two teams have scored over 30 on the Bison, Montana last year and Coastal in '14. As history has proven, I'll take the Bison defense.

BisonFan02
September 4th, 2016, 07:19 PM

Hey! Look what a FBS win drug back in. xlolx

Bisonator
September 4th, 2016, 07:21 PM
I'll say Bison win 38-21.

kalm
September 4th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Probably never.

Since 2011, two teams have scored over 30 on the Bison, Montana last year and Coastal in '14. As history has proven, I'll take the Bison defense.

That's a truly amazing statistic.

Without looking it up, I'd bet the amount of games we've been kept under 30 is similar although I can think of at least two last year.

dudeitsaid
September 4th, 2016, 07:53 PM
I don't know what to expect for this game. NDSU is an entirely different beast than WSU. And I have nothing but respect for everything the Bison have done, and their strength on defense. If they establish the ball control early, and limit EWU's possessions, and force the Eagle offense to make a couple of mistakes, I think the Bison win at home.

That being said, I think this is going to be a much tougher game for the Bison than some people are making it out to be. Last year, it seemed EWU couldn't get any defensive stops, even against sub par offenses. Last night was arguably one of the best offenses in the FBS based on who they returned and last years performance. EWU had five defensive stops against Leach's Air Raid offense. Last year, they went 9-3 against FBS opponents, losing by less than a combined 8 points. And some have mentioned that the WSU D is a far cry from the Bison, but EWU scored more on the Cougers than any team did all of last year, and only one team scored more the year before. EWU's offense is once again something to contend with. As a team, the Cougers returned most of their starting players from last year. Also, you have to think WSU was absolutely invested in not repeating last years debacle against PSU. These guys were not overlooking EWU. But EWU found a way to win.

I personally think this game in Fargo is going to be a contrast in styles, and it's anybodies game. I don't see either team winning by more than one score, edge to NDSU for being at home.

Bison56
September 4th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Hey! Look what a FBS win drug back in. xlolx

Was thinking the same thing. xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 07:58 PM
That's a truly amazing statistic.

Without looking it up, I'd bet the amount of games we've been kept under 30 is similar although I can think of at least two last year.

If EWU jumps out early to a 2 TD lead, it will be hard for the Bison to play catch up. If our MLB DeLuca does not play, I would attack the middle with the pass. He is a great pass defender and quick, the back up is not as fast or as good in pass coverage IMO.

I would also have Kupp eat a huge bowl of spaghetti to keep his carbs up because I would throw to him often and not take him out of the game. Our 2 young CBs are going to get a crash course in how to defend the pass.....hopefully they don't get an "F".

kalm
September 4th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Probably never.

I don't know what to expect for this game. NDSU is an entirely different beast than WSU. And I have nothing but respect for everything the Bison have done, and their strength on defense. If they establish the ball control early, and limit EWU's possessions, and force the Eagle offense to make a couple of mistakes, I think the Bison win at home.

That being said, I think this is going to be a much tougher game for the Bison than some people are making it out to be. Last year, it seemed EWU couldn't get any defensive stops, even against sub par offenses. Last night was arguably one of the best offenses in the FBS based on who they returned and last years performance. EWU had five defensive stops against Leach's Air Raid offense. Last year, they went 9-3 against FBS opponents, losing by less than a combined 8 points. And some have mentioned that the WSU D is a far cry from the Bison, but EWU scored more on the Cougers than any team did all of last year, and only one team scored more the year before. EWU's offense is once again something to contend with. As a team, the Cougers returned most of their starting players from last year. Also, you have to think WSU was absolutely invested in not repeating last years debacle against PSU. These guys were not overlooking EWU. But EWU found a way to win.

I personally think this game in Fargo is going to be a contrast in styles, and it's anybodies game. I don't see either team winning by more than one score, edge to NDSU for being at home.

If EWU jumps out early to a 2 TD lead, it will be hard for the Bison to play catch up. If our MLB DeLuca does not play, I would attack the middle with the pass. He is a great pass defender and quick, the back up is not as fast or as good in pass coverage IMO.

I would also have Kupp eat a huge bowl of spaghetti to keep his carbs up because I would throw to him often and not take him out of the game. Our 2 young CBs are going to get a crash course in how to defend the pass.....hopefully they don't get an "F".

I was going to ask about DeLuca. He could be a difference maker - especially in containing Gubrud.

Kupp will get attention and rightfully so, but expect Bourne, Shaq Hill, Nick Splendorio, Simba Webster, and true freshman Antoine Custer to get a number of targets. Custer had one of the TD's last night.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 08:08 PM

This is a totally different animal.

WSU passed the ball 52 times yesterday......52!! NDSU might get to half that. NDSU has proven over and over that they can successfully defend all versions of the spread. Will NDSU shut out EWU? More than likely no but no way does this turn into a track meet.

When 2 teams play limited defense and their offenses throw it up and down the field, you will get those kinds of scores.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 4th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I didnt think it would happen but the NDSU fans that are constantly running their cockholsters need a big helping of STFU.

I hate EWU more than any college team in the FCS and I hope they really put it on you in your tool shed. You had no DBs that could cover Montanas WRs last year and you have never had one that can cover Kupp, he will approach 300+ on you guys this weekend. If EWU gets up by a couple scores you are DONE and will never catch up.

This Saturday is the beginning of the end and it couldnt happen to a bigger bunch of **** talking muther****ers like NDSU.

IBleedYellow
September 4th, 2016, 08:25 PM
This won't turn into a track meet. EWU will get some points off of passes, but I don't think it'll be enough if NDSU's defense is able to successfully get off the field multiple times.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 4th, 2016, 08:27 PM
EWU gave up 515 yards and 42 points yesterday. That is on par with their season total of last year of giving up 476 yards/game and 39.5 points/game.

NDSU gave up 264 yards and 17 points of CSU. About what they did last year for the season: 271 yards/game and 15.3 points/game.

What does this say or mean? Probably not much but IMO, no way does EWU roll through this Bison defense.

- - - Updated - - -

I didnt think it would happen but the NDSU fans that are constantly running their cockholsters need a big helping of STFU.

I hate EWU more than any college team in the FCS and I hope they really put it on you in your tool shed. You had no DBs that could cover Montanas WRs last year and you have never had one that can cover Kupp, he will approach 300+ on you guys this weekend. If EWU gets up by a couple scores you are DONE and will never catch up.

This Saturday is the beginning of the end and it couldnt happen to a bigger bunch of **** talking muther****ers like NDSU.

Whatever little manxlolx:D

IBleedYellow
September 4th, 2016, 08:29 PM
You know that AG1 is just trolling. xthumbsupx

Bisonator
September 4th, 2016, 08:37 PM
You know that AG1 is just trolling. xthumbsupx

Either that or he fell off the band wagon. xlolx

TheKingpin28
September 4th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Spoke with Stumpf on campus during lunch on friday at Panda Express and he said there is a good chance DeLuca could be out past the Iowa game. Thats not to say he wont play against EWU, but I would trust one of his best friends to be reliable. I hope he plays, but I would rather have him healthy for Valley play VS rushing him back too early.

Bisonwinagn
September 4th, 2016, 11:12 PM
EWU gave up 515 yards and 42 points yesterday. That is on par with their season total of last year of giving up 476 yards/game and 39.5 points/game.

NDSU gave up 264 yards and 17 points of CSU. About what they did last year for the season: 271 yards/game and 15.3 points/game.

What does this say or mean? Probably not much but IMO, no way does EWU roll through this Bison defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever little manxlolx:D

People really need to stop saying no way this and no way that. The same people said no way CSU could stop NDSU's run game. Guess what they did a pretty good job. Anything can happen in game 2 against the best passing team NDSU will face this year. What if NDSU has to pass a bunch to score? One thing I was impressed by is how fast EWU passes to avoid pressure. Anything can happen and you should just enjoy a fun game.

tomq04
September 4th, 2016, 11:15 PM

Lol out loud. Seriously though, ewu proved they have the best receiving core in the nation. I'm excited to see them prove themselves against the best defense in the fcs (no dig on uni).

I'd wager there will be 40 points scores by ewu. They had been held to under 30 something like 4 times in the past 4 years. I'll have to dig for that stat.

gsf23nd
September 4th, 2016, 11:27 PM

http://rs9.pbsrc.com/albums/a53/Kajidono/reaction/1313910213375.png~c200

TheKingpin28
September 4th, 2016, 11:28 PM
Lol out loud. Seriously though, ewu proved they have the best receiving core in the nation. I'm excited to see them prove themselves against the best defense in the fcs (no dig on uni).

I'd wager there will be 40 points scores by ewu. They had been held to under 30 something like 4 times in the past 4 years. I'll have to dig for that stat.

40 by EWU, that means at least 6 TDs. I'd be shocked if NDSU gives up more than 24. This will not turn into a track meet. NDSU will get 35+ TOP and force EWU into making unwanted throws/mistakes and lead to more runs of 4-7yds for the Bison. Enough to move the chains, but not enough to let EWU offense back on the field.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 4th, 2016, 11:44 PM
http://rs9.pbsrc.com/albums/a53/Kajidono/reaction/1313910213375.png~c200

This coming right back at you after EWU takes you apart in your shed

Twentysix
September 5th, 2016, 12:17 AM
40 by EWU, that means at least 6 TDs. I'd be shocked if NDSU gives up more than 24. This will not turn into a track meet. NDSU will get 35+ TOP and force EWU into making unwanted throws/mistakes and lead to more runs of 4-7yds for the Bison. Enough to move the chains, but not enough to let EWU offense back on the field.

Hmm, I think NDSU might struggle a little bit with TOP compared to normal. I think NDSU is going to have an obscene number of 20+ yd runs. Like more than 10. Its not like our RBs will just fall down if their rush defense is swiss cheese. But I am expecting improvement in NDSU's Oline and EWU's D to be worse than CSU. Both of which seem reasonable to me.

I won't be surprised if NDSU ends this game with over 650 yards.

I also expect EWU to complete A LOT of short passes. This will give them some decent TOP.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 5th, 2016, 12:40 AM
I haven't read a post in this yet but I'll tell you this. Kupp is gonna trouble you. Be there to watch it. You won't like it but win or lose he's one of the better players you'll have seen as an individual in a while at this level.xthumbsupx

Red & Black
September 5th, 2016, 01:52 AM
This will be a completely different type of game than the ones either team played in their openers.

No predictions, other than to say that this should be a great game.

dudeitsaid
September 5th, 2016, 05:28 AM
Hmm, I think NDSU might struggle a little bit with TOP compared to normal. I think NDSU is going to have an obscene number of 20+ yd runs. Like more than 10. Its not like our RBs will just fall down if their rush defense is swiss cheese. But I am expecting improvement in NDSU's Oline and EWU's D to be worse than CSU. Both of which seem reasonable to me.

I won't be surprised if NDSU ends this game with over 650 yards.

I also expect EWU to complete A LOT of short passes. This will give them some decent TOP.

Man, it is amazing the flavor of confidence so many of you guys have, and not entirely without justification. But it is very reminiscent of the swagger of a fan base this weekend that thought there was no way an FCS team who were four TD underdogs, and given a 2.8% chance of winning could beat there team.

I personally think NDSU is going to try to grind the clock to limit EWU's possessions and rhythm. Heck, NDSU will probably win. But I think if the game were in Cheney, I would tip the favor to EWU.

Twentysix
September 5th, 2016, 05:35 AM
Man, it is amazing the flavor of confidence so many of you guys have, and not entirely without justification. But it is very reminiscent of the swagger of a fan base this weekend that thought there was no way an FCS team who were four TD underdogs, and given a 2.8% chance of winning could beat there team.

I personally think NDSU is going to try to grind the clock to limit EWU's possessions and rhythm. Heck, NDSU will probably win. But I think if the game were in Cheney, I would tip the favor to EWU.

Interesting. I never even proclaimed either team would win. I see you are still riding high on beating WSU lol.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 07:33 AM
People really need to stop saying no way this and no way that. The same people said no way CSU could stop NDSU's run game. Guess what they did a pretty good job. Anything can happen in game 2 against the best passing team NDSU will face this year. What if NDSU has to pass a bunch to score? One thing I was impressed by is how fast EWU passes to avoid pressure. Anything can happen and you should just enjoy a fun game.

LOL

A "pretty good job" is relative depending on your view. Running for 254 yards minus sacks on a team that was totally committed to stopping the G-gap power run is not a good job by CSU IMO. Their strategy was to cut the lineman and create a mass of players on the turf......worked at times for them.

Yes Einstein, anything can happen but the Bison defense has proven over and over that they can hold down any type of offense over the last 5 years.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 07:34 AM

Doubt it.

kalm
September 5th, 2016, 07:36 AM
LOL

A "pretty good job" is relative depending on your view. Running for 254 yards minus sacks on a team that was totally committed to stopping the G-gap power run is not a good job by CSU IMO. Their strategy was to cut the lineman and create a mass of players on the turf......worked at times for them.

Yes Einstein, anything can happen but the Bison defense has proven over and over that they can hold down any type of offense over the last 5 years.

What CSU did was limit big runs up the middle that you guys seem to get a few of every game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 07:40 AM

In 5 years of watching the Bison on this "run", only 1 time have I witnessed the Bison get dominated in a game by anyone....UNI in '14.

Do you think EWU's defense is good enough to stop the ground and pound running game? Stick is more than talented enough in the passing game to beat EWU with it.

This game is going to come down to the EWU defense and if they can stop the run.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 07:43 AM
What CSU did was limit big runs up the middle that you guys seem to get a few of every game.

Every team does this...every one. Some are successful and others are not. But what CSU did was cut block the lineman and lead blockers to create a pile of humanity on the field. Ya, it worked at times and was effective.

Can EWU's defense stop the running game? Washington State was not a good barometer for me to tell if they have improved significantly. IMO, no, with how bad they have been over the last 5 years.

**edit**

CSU's defense is a whole lot better than EWU's.....

kalm
September 5th, 2016, 08:06 AM
In 5 years of watching the Bison on this "run", only 1 time have I witnessed the Bison get dominated in a game by anyone....UNI in '14.

Do you think EWU's defense is good enough to stop the ground and pound running game? Stick is more than talented enough in the passing game to beat EWU with it.

This game is going to come down to the EWU defense and if they can stop the run.

Stick concerns me way more running the ball than passing the ball. He has a good arm but he's inconsistent and makes some dangerous throws.

We gave up a ton of yardage and points to WSU just like most teams in the PAC 12 will. The upsides defensively are that we got a couple of stops in their first two possessions, were able to hold them score less in the 2nd half until around the 6:00 mark, we tackled better, and were able to bring some pressure with 3 sacks.

I'd like to think our defense is improved a little but it's too early to tell.

SUUTbird
September 5th, 2016, 09:52 AM
I watched the entire WSU vs EWU game and personally to me I think EWU's defense did look better then last season, your not going to keep an offensive juggernaut off the scoreboard especially an FBS one coming off a 9 win season (8 in the Pac12). Comparing statistics so far this season I think is rather redundant as well, CSU is a great team however they played right into NDSU's defensive strength which is stopping the run which was reflected in the yardage and points they were able to amass. What impressed me the most was the play of the EWU QB, he did not look like a first time starter and absolutely torched the Washington State defense with his feet and arm, if he is able to continue to play like that I see EWU getting the win as I don't think NDSU has the secondary to deal with Kupp and this great WR Corps.

EWU: 31
NDSU: 24

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Gee, I guess NDSU's front 7 on defense will not be in the game.....xbawlingx

Time to forfeit to this offense that will roll over the Bison at home if they even show up....xsmhx

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 5th, 2016, 10:18 AM
LOL

They havent proved that this year, quit living in the past

Cleets
September 5th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Beau Baldwin has too big of an ego to coach this game properly...
My guess is he won't keep it disciplined on D and have 8 in the box even on third and 7
he'll get cute or "creative" far too often and pay the price

One of the KEY reasons the Eagles were able to beat Washington State is because Baldwin ran into a coach with a bigger ego than his own (Leach)
Leach is usually incapable of accepting the facts that the historical game tapes present
and goes with "we're going to do what we do" and not worry about what they do - Much like John Fox in the Seahawks Broncos superbowl

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 10:48 AM

We'll see if a perennially horrible defense has done a 180.

gsf23nd
September 5th, 2016, 10:55 AM
This coming right back at you after EWU takes you apart in your shed

That's alright. The Bison will just win the one that matters at the end of the year. Kinda like what they did with Montana....

Bison56
September 5th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I'm just hoping for a moral victory.

FargoBison
September 5th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Stick concerns me way more running the ball than passing the ball. He has a good arm but he's inconsistent and makes some dangerous throws.

Yeah that is something that isn't being talked about. If Stick gets going on the ground it opens up a whole new dimension to the offense. CSU did a good job keeping him contained, forcing him to make things happen with his arm.

BisonFan02
September 5th, 2016, 11:12 AM

That's rich coming from a Griz fan. :D xlolx #thenextleatherhelmet

Red & Black
September 5th, 2016, 11:13 AM

I totally agree with you there. Not sure we need to dominate it, though, or even come close to that. We need to get a few stops here and there and force NDSU into some 3rd and long situations and make your QB beat us that way.

Red & Black
September 5th, 2016, 11:16 AM

And you know this from your extensive interaction with him, I assume? xlolx

kalm
September 5th, 2016, 11:16 AM
My guess is he won't keep it disciplined on D and have 8 in the box even on third and 7
he'll get cute or "creative" far too often and pay the price

One of the KEY reasons the Eagles were able to beat Washington State is because Baldwin ran into a coach with a bigger ego than his own (Leach)
Leach is usually incapable of accepting the facts that the historical game tapes present
and goes with "we're going to do what we do" and not worry about what they do - Much like John Fox in the Seahawks Broncos superbowl

Nice post Alpha!

xsmileyclapx

Red & Black
September 5th, 2016, 11:20 AM
We'll see if a perennially horrible defense has done a 180.

What I noticed about the defense is they looked much more physical than previous years. WSU's offensive line was enormous, but I felt like the defensive line did a pretty good job of getting to Falk at key times when it mattered. Overall, you can tell the mentality is much different as well. Last year's defense was super young.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 5th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Yeah that is something that isn't being talked about. If Stick gets going on the ground it opens up a whole new dimension to the offense. CSU did a good job keeping him contained, forcing him to make things happen with his arm.
If Kupp gets going in the air it opens up a whole new dimension to Easterns offense, you better watch out. Washington State didnt do a good job containing Kupp because nobody can not even a good defense like Alabama could so you guys are really ****ed

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 5th, 2016, 11:24 AM
That's rich coming from a Griz fan. :D xlolx #thenextleatherhelmet
Dont act like you guys are not light years ahead of us there as well..........................

#acceptyourfate

FargoBison
September 5th, 2016, 11:24 AM
If Kupp gets going in the air it opens up a whole new dimension to Easterns offense, you better watch out. Washington State didnt do a good job containing Kupp because nobody can not even a good defense like Alabama could so you guys are really ****ed
Best way to stop an elite wr is to make the Qb uncomfortable.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 5th, 2016, 11:26 AM

How are you going to do that on punts? Kupp will nail the Bison special teams with at least one TD on a punt return.......and if you dont watch it he will kick his own extra point.

kalm
September 5th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Best way to stop an elite wr is to make the QB uncomfortable.

And that's one of the reasons Gubrud won the starting job. His ability to run the read option helped neutralize WSU's pass rush a little. We have an inexperienced oline but Gubrud was also terrific on Saturday in getting rid of the ball quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

How are you going to do that on punts? Kupp will nail the Bison special teams with at least one TD on a punt return.......and if you dont watch it he will kick his own extra point.

While holding it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 11:44 AM

or, the Bison offense staying on the field with long scoring drives. Kupp cannot do much when he is on the sideline.

Thundar
September 5th, 2016, 11:45 AM
the trash talk might be more interesting than the game

TheKingpin28
September 5th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Just give the ball to BRUUUUUUUUCE and all will be settled quickly.

/endthread

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 11:48 AM
The Bison OC (Polasek) was just on the local Bison radio station. Pretty interesting take. Sounds like the OL is being challenged by the coaching staff to get better with 1st down efficiency. They will also run the ball and think they will be able to do so.

Catbooster
September 5th, 2016, 11:49 AM

I haven't seen anyone say anything about EWU dominating NDSU. Sometimes teams can win without being dominant by simply getting some key plays at the right time.

I don't think EWU's defense is improved enough to stop your running game, but maybe they can limit it. I'll be rooting for EWU but I think NDSU will be favored to win.

FargoBison
September 5th, 2016, 11:49 AM

Punt? We are the Bison Alpha...We don't plan to do any punting. We only punted last week so other teams could feel they have a chance this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Just give the ball to BRUUUUUUUUCE and all will be settled quickly.

/endthread

I agree. He is a difference maker. He gets the edge and he will be gone. He needs more carriers IMO.

Daytripper
September 5th, 2016, 11:59 AM
You are both wonderful teams with knowledgeable fan bases. Both teams have been in the weight room more than UND. In their spare time, players from both teams help little old ladies across the street and treat their girlfriends and boyfriends with tenderness, compassion and extensive foreplay. Both teams have Vince Lombardi as coach. I cannot imagine a more perfectly matched contest. Even though one of you will lose this game, I have no doubt that both teams will play for the national championship this year.

Carry on...

IBleedYellow
September 5th, 2016, 12:00 PM
The best wide outs in the country can't do anything when they are on the sidelines.

xthumbsupx

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lehigh'98
September 5th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Kupp is the best WR the FCS has seen since Moss.

Bison56
September 5th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Water is wet.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Coach K said DeLuca is practicing today!

He also said they want to run the ball 50 times........If the Bison get to 50 rushes they win easily,

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 5th, 2016, 01:19 PM
the trash talk might be more interesting than the game
Agreed but you guys should bounce back......you always seem to

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

kalm
September 5th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Coach K said DeLuca is practicing today!

He also said they want to run the ball 50 times........If the Bison get to 50 rushes they win easily,

Why?

UNI Pike
September 5th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Kupp is the best WR the FCS has seen since Moss.

I have seen both play in person versus UNI. (Limited in person pool of experiences, granted).

Kupp is no Randy Moss. Moss was a man amongst boys. It was just unfair.

That is taking nothing away from Kupp - just a different style player. UNI benefited from Kupp making a spectacular catch, then landing on his hip in a way that effectively took out of the game last year. That was against two SR CBs that are now on NFL rosters. NDSU will have its hands full with the EWU offense, particularly if DeLuca is on the sidelines.

I am hoping to tune in to see the battle.

F'N Hawks
September 5th, 2016, 02:24 PM
NDSU is 22 point favorites. Wowsa.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Why?

Because if the Bison rush the ball 50+ times that means they are controlling the clock and keeping EWU's offense on the bench. Unless you think EWU will score on every possession in like 1 minute.

tomq04
September 5th, 2016, 02:31 PM

I fact checked this and I was way wrong. Held to under 30 11 times since 2012. 2 of those were part of the terrible 3 game skid at the end of last season.

I didn't check our w/l for those 11 games, more work to do.

kalm
September 5th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Because if the Bison rush the ball 50+ times that means they are controlling the clock and keeping EWU's offense on the bench. Unless you think EWU will score on every possession in like 1 minute.

Cal Poly ran it 89 times against us last year gained 500 yards, and held the ball for 37 minutes. They didn't win easy...in fact they lost.

Not a good example because Poly's offense sucked? OK, UNI ran it 48 times against us and beat us by 3 at home.

I'm not saying it would be an optimal situation for us, but the your absolutes crack me up. xlolx

ValleyChamp
September 5th, 2016, 02:42 PM

That's asinine.

clenz
September 5th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Cal Poly ran it 89 times against us last year gained 500 yards, and held the ball for 37 minutes. They didn't win easy...in fact they lost.

Not a good example because Poly's offense sucked? OK, UNI ran it 48 times against us and beat us by 3 at home.

I'm not saying it would be an optimal situation for us, but the your absolutes crack me up. xlolx

That's completely ignoring the complete **** show that was UNIs offense last seasons he first 6 weeks

tomq04
September 5th, 2016, 02:58 PM
That's asinine.

I'll take the eags to cover with a 2nd mortgage. Where can I place a bet?

UNI Pike
September 5th, 2016, 02:59 PM

Who is giving that spread? The biker bar in Fargo?

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 5th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Ewu only needs to be on the field offensively for 7 mins to win this game.

centennial
September 5th, 2016, 03:03 PM
I'll take the eags to cover with a 2nd mortgage. Where can I place a bet?
Cheap flight to Vegas.

F'N Hawks
September 5th, 2016, 03:28 PM
5dimes. Its down to 20.5.

UNI is 15.5 pt favorites.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Ewu only needs to be on the field offensively for 7 mins to win this game.

xblahx

If the Eagles have only 7 minutes of TOP it will be a Bison rout.....xlolx

53 minutes of TOP for the Bison....I'll take it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 03:32 PM

EWU passes a ton against a poor WSU defense and now they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

We'll find out Saturday how good they are and how good this Bison defense is.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 5th, 2016, 03:43 PM
xblahx

If the Eagles have only 7 minutes of TOP it will be a Bison rout.....xlolx

53 minutes of TOP for the Bison....I'll take it.
It's your loss........you can do what you want with it.

Enjoy playing from behind and not having the guns to keep up. At least you will have TOP to hang on to.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2016, 03:46 PM
It's your loss........you can do what you want with it.

You really believe that a team with 53 minutes of TOP ( IDK if a team has ever had that much in a game) will lose? I doubt the Bison have even sniffed anything that close...maybe a little over 40 minutes is the most I can remember.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 5th, 2016, 03:56 PM
You have never seen an offense like EWU....well actually you have they beat you last time you played. But you probably were not a fan until the 3rd or 4th NC.

Ewu is the greatest offense ever, and I will tell you about it every week. Then after you lose this weekend and are nowhere to be found I will find you and tell you again how great they are.

You see, I have a unique set of skills I don't care if I have to hunt you down on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or even snail mail I will find you and I will tell you about it over and over and over again until you want to kill a baby.

That my friends is the real strength of the herd.........I mean flock of seagulls.

Bisonator
September 5th, 2016, 04:12 PM
You have never seen an offense like EWU....well actually you have they beat you last time you played. But you probably were not a fan until the 3rd or 4th NC.

Ewu is the greatest offense ever, and I will tell you about it every week. Then after you lose this weekend and are nowhere to be found I will find you and tell you again how great they are.

You see, I have a unique set of skills I don't care if I have to hunt you down on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or even snail mail I will find you and I will tell you about it over and over and over again until you want to kill a baby.

That my friends is the real strength of the herd.........I mean flock of seagulls.

You're trying too hard.xlolx

Cleets
September 5th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Nice post Alpha!

xsmileyclapx

There's a little bit too much truth in my post for Eastern fans I know that...
WE're talking about a very good coach (an exceptional coach really) that is his own worst enemy

dewey
September 5th, 2016, 04:46 PM
You're trying too hard.xlolx

No kidding. Try being a little more subtle next time.

Dewey

UNI Pike

Take Montana to cover that spread. I can't remember the last time we rolled anyone (other than the usual suspects - missouri state, indiana state, anyone from the OVC).

Bison Fan in NW MN

That is some pretty good stuff. To bad I'm not on any of those social media sites so I'll just have to PM you my cell # so you can tell me how great EWU is. I'll make it easy for you. 1/2 of my business is in McClusky, ND...that is a lot closer to wherever you live in MT than Fertile, MN. I'm looking forward to your vast knowledge on this....xlolx

Pretty good try on the fan bit but not to disappoint you, I've been a fan longer than you have been a fan of what team?

POD Knows
September 5th, 2016, 04:47 PM

Good luck (Albanian keyboard accent imagined)

kalm
September 5th, 2016, 04:51 PM
There's a little bit too much truth in my post for Eastern fans I know that...
WE're talking about a very good coach (an exceptional coach really) that is his own worst enemy

That's true of many...including some very successful people. Hell he might even agree with you as he typically acknowledges his own mistakes publicly. In the presser after this game he stated how the players need to clean up some mistakes and he needs to as a coach as well.

But when you talk about big egos getting in the way, Baldwin shouldn't be the first to come to mind. And to use ego, Baldwin, and Leach in the same breath is laughable.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kj90X161ITk/hqdefault.jpg

dewey
September 5th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about the Eastern Washington NDSU game.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4108561-ndsu-eastern-washington-non-conference-clash-heavyweights

Dewey

Bisonoline
September 5th, 2016, 05:07 PM

xlolxxlolxxthumbsupx Oh man thats great stuff!!!

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 5th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Sorry it's been almost an hour without somebody fuel injecting how great EWU'S offense is.....into your face!

It's pretty ****ing good, it's a dynasty if you will so book Frisco for a decade

BisonFan02
September 5th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Sorry it's been almost an hour without somebody fuel injecting how great EWU'S offense is.....into your face!

It's pretty ****ing good, it's a dynasty if you will so book Frisco for a decade

An absolute dynasty of CFL football superstars.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 5th, 2016, 05:21 PM
And absolute dynasty of CFL football superstars.
See.....you get it

BisonFan02
September 5th, 2016, 05:22 PM
See.....you get it

Yup. This new QB is the next one eye black and Bo Levi.

clenz
September 5th, 2016, 05:25 PM

UNI is far too high.

Thumper 76
September 5th, 2016, 05:42 PM

Jesus they are really throwing ridiculous spreads around at the Valley teams. Yikes.

FCSwatcher
September 5th, 2016, 05:45 PM
The best wide outs in the country can't do anything when they are on the sidelines.

xthumbsupx

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Cool thing about football. You get an opportunity as soon as the other team is done.

You basically have the same amount t of possessions.

It is what you do with those possessions is what matters.

Red & Black
September 5th, 2016, 06:29 PM
EWU passes a ton against a poor WSU defense and now they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

We'll find out Saturday how good they are and how good this Bison defense is.

To be fair, WSU had a pretty good defense last season and returned most of it. What hurt them was their depth at Safety; one guy suspended for the game, and his backup getting ejected for targeting.

Schism55
September 5th, 2016, 06:37 PM
It's hard to evaluate EWU from just that WSU game. The performance of Mike Leach teams is as uneven as he is. 10-2 for the Cougars is just as likely as 3-9.

Grizalltheway
September 5th, 2016, 07:47 PM
It's hard to evaluate EWU from just that WSU game. The performance of Mike Leach teams is as uneven as he is. 10-2 for the Cougars is just as likely as 3-9.

Do you look at UNI's 5 point win over one of the worst teams in FBS with the same scrutiny?

semobison
September 5th, 2016, 08:05 PM

10 days ago nobody would have thought twice about this. It is amazing how each team playing one game changes everything. It's early, I wouldn't put money on either team but if I absolutely had to, I would bet on EWU to cover.

clenz
September 5th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Do you look at UNI's 5 point win over one of the worst teams in FBS with the same scrutiny?
Special teams absolutely killed UNI on Saturday.

2 missed field goals, a pair of shanked punts, a kick off out of bounds, and a big punt return given up.

If UNI could have limited special team mistakes we could have seen a 17 point UNI win. In stead those mistakes happend and created major cause for concern moving forward. I hope someone scrutinized that win. There are issues on UNI's roster right now

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 5th, 2016, 08:18 PM
Jesus they are really throwing ridiculous spreads around at the Valley teams. Yikes.

Its almost like some of the teams in the conference telling you how great they are............almost

ursus arctos horribilis
September 5th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Its almost like all but one of the teams in the conference telling you how great they are............almost

edit.

centennial
September 5th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Its almost like some of the teams in the conference telling you how great they are............almost
Yes bookmakers are getting bribes from MVFC fans.

semobison
September 5th, 2016, 08:24 PM
I fact checked this and I was way wrong. Held to under 30 11 times since 2012. 2 of those were part of the terrible 3 game skid at the end of last season.

Since 2011, in 75 games, NDSU has given up 30 points twice! They lost one of those games. Something's gotta give!

CommishBigSmooth
September 5th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Since 2011, in 75 games, NDSU has given up 30 points twice! They lost one of those games. Something's gotta give!

And only once at home, which is the one they won (2014 QF against Coastal if memory serves)

kalm
September 5th, 2016, 09:37 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by ALPHAGRIZ1 http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2371729#post2371729)Its almost like all but one of the teams in the conference telling you how great they are............almost

edit.

Hey...you two should check out this place called egriz sometime.

clenz
September 5th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Hey...you two should check out this place called egriz sometime.
You mean the site where the Griz fans are predicting a bigger loss than UNI fans are predicting as a MOV?

Grizalltheway
September 5th, 2016, 10:25 PM
You mean the site where the Griz fans are predicting a bigger loss than UNI fans are predicting as a MOV?

It can be a bit bipolar there. We're either going to roll or get rolled almost every game.

kalm
September 5th, 2016, 10:27 PM
It can be a bit bipolar there. We're either going to roll or get rolled almost every game.

But at least it's always loud, cold, and you have all those championships which will never be matched. xthumbsupx

dudeitsaid
September 5th, 2016, 11:20 PM
You really believe that a team with 53 minutes of TOP ( IDK if a team has ever had that much in a game) will lose? I doubt the Bison have even sniffed anything that close...maybe a little over 40 minutes is the most I can remember.

Gosh...hook, line, and sinker. Watching you swallow the troll bait whole is so comical!

BTW, don't get your concern about your team. I don't know a single person who has said in seriousness that EWU is going to dominate NDSU. But I and others do think it will be a good game.

Grizalltheway
September 5th, 2016, 11:31 PM
But at least it's always loud, cold, and you have all those championships which will never be matched. xthumbsupx
Well that's a given.xcoolx

floridagriz15
September 6th, 2016, 02:02 AM
I detest EWU with a great passion always have always will, But I honestly detest NDSU more. Hoping for a Big Sky win in OT.

EWU 31
Buffs 28

tomq04
September 6th, 2016, 08:35 AM

Update-
Going back to 2012, ewu is 6-5 in games where we score under 30 points. Definitely an advantage to the bison if they can keep us under 30. I don't think they will...

kalm
September 6th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Update-
Going back to 2012, ewu is 6-5 in games where we score under 30 points. Definitely an advantage to the bison if they can keep us under 30. I don't think they will...

Of course they will. They've seen spread offenses like ours a ton and know how to shut it down. From what I gather, it all starts with controlling the ball for 53 minutes.

clenz
September 6th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Line is down to 18.5 with O/U of 61.5

I'd take the over fo sho

Gil Dobie
September 6th, 2016, 08:46 AM
I don't know if the Bison have enough DBacks to cover Kupp, let alone the other receivers. There was a lot of inexperience showing in the defensive backfield for the Bison, against Chuck South. Hopefully that will improve this weekend.

Thundar
September 6th, 2016, 10:06 AM
I detest EWU with a great passion always have always will, But I honestly detest NDSU more. Hoping for a Big Sky win in OT.

EWU 31
Buffs 28

Thank you, feelings are mutual

Grizalltheway
September 6th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Can't we all just get along?

TheKingpin28
September 6th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Can't we all just get along?

Never. Only on days that end in Y can we get along

Bison56
September 6th, 2016, 10:40 AM

EWU 31
Buffs 28
Some people just hate winners.

Professor Chaos
September 6th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Line of 18.5 is way too high. I wouldn't give any more than 10 points even as a Bison homer.

I think the big matchup on one side will be whether EWU's defense can slow down NDSU's power run game. While CSU did a pretty good job with a 3-3-5 I think most teams that run a base defense with 5 DBs are going to struggle defensively against the Bison.

Conversely, can NDSU's defense disrupt the timing of the EWU passing game? The Bison have a great D-line that's capable of getting to the QB in a hurry but I think they're also going to play a lot of zone coverage on the back end so they need to disrupt the timing of the EWU's quick passing routes to give their D-line enough time to get to the QB.

I'm guessing this is going to be a frustrating game to watch as a Bison fan because they're going to play the bend-but-don't-break defense and try to force EWU to sustain drives in order to score. I hope the crowd stays into it because that'll help to disrupt EWU's offensive timing.

Grizalltheway
September 6th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Never. Only on days that end in Y can we get along

What a coincidence, those are the only days I drink!

AmsterBison
September 6th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Line of 18.5 is way too high. I wouldn't give any more than 10 points even as a Bison homer.

Maybe the only time you should (hypothetically) bet on the Bison is the week after a loss because all the guys who had been bumping up the line with their irrational exuberance will now be convinced that NDSU will never win another game.

Doesn't seem like NDSU covers the spread very often in the regular season - but then I really don't pay much attention.

NDSUBowler
September 6th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Maybe the only time you should (hypothetically) bet on the Bison is the week after a loss because all the guys who had been bumping up the line with their irrational exuberance will now be convinced that NDSU will never win another game.

Doesn't seem like NDSU covers the spread very often in the regular season - but then I really don't pay much attention.
The three times to bet NDSU:

Week after losses, playoffs, and games vs FBS opponents.

Average Joe is going to take a look and see "Oh NDSU won in OT at home to an FCS team and EWU beat a Pac12 team yet NDSU is 22 pt favs? HAMMER EWU!" then just watch that line fall.

Red & Black
September 6th, 2016, 09:09 PM
The line's gone down. Wasn't it around 23 to start out?

dudeitsaid
September 6th, 2016, 11:20 PM
The line's gone down. Wasn't it around 23 to start out?

It's 17 now, with UNI being at 14 over UM, WIU at 10.5 over NAU, and USD at 8.5 over Weber. Not much confidence in the Big Sky versus the Missouri Valley teams in Vegas.

Twentysix
September 7th, 2016, 02:55 AM
It's 17 now, with UNI being at 14 over UM, WIU at 10.5 over NAU, and USD at 8.5 over Weber. Not much confidence in the Big Sky versus the Missouri Valley teams in Vegas.

Probably because the MVFC computer scores are always really high.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 7th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Man we need new computers........

AmsterBison
September 7th, 2016, 09:02 AM

Probably has something to do with the MVFC going 17-3 against the Big Sky over the last two years, but, yeah, those lines look crazy. NAU was picked to win the Big Sky, right? Gather ye Las Vegas rosebuds while ye may, I'd say.

BTW, the only way NDSU keeps EWU under 30 is if NDSU runs on every down and EWU can't stop it. I just don't see that happening.

dewey
September 7th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Here are some good posts from the Bison Media Blog.

Bison Video Blog. Eastern Washington Preps.
https://www.bisonmediazone.com/bison-video-blog-eastern-washington-preps/

AUDIO: Eastern Washington Head Coach Beau Baldwin.
https://www.bisonmediazone.com/audio-eastern-washington-head-coach-beau-baldwin/

Here is an article from The Spokesman-Review about Eastern preparing for the NDSU game.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/sep/06/eastern-looks-for-improvement-after-big-win-over-w/

Interesting that head coach Beau Baldwin states that they were in discussions about EWU playing NDSU for the ESPN kickoff classic.

Dewey

BisonTru
September 7th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Line is down to 18.5 with O/U of 61.5

I'd take the over fo sho

I'd probably take the under.

Catbooster
September 7th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Probably has something to do with the MVFC going 17-3 against the Big Sky over the last two years, but, yeah, those lines look crazy. NAU was picked to win the Big Sky, right? Gather ye Las Vegas rosebuds while ye may, I'd say.

BTW, the only way NDSU keeps EWU under 30 is if NDSU runs on every down and EWU can't stop it. I just don't see that happening.

Yeah, but MSU was picked to win it last year so......

dewey
September 7th, 2016, 10:57 PM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about All American Senior MLB Nick DeLuca and him trying to get back for this week's big game against Eastern Washington.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4109984-deluca-these-games-are-precious-far-im-concerned

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 8th, 2016, 08:29 AM
IMO, if the Bison OC doesn't cute the offense will be fine against this EWU defense. Grind them with the run and play action. The Bison DL needs to get pressure to force mistakes.

McNeese75
September 8th, 2016, 08:52 AM
IMO, if the Bison OC doesn't cute the offense will be fine against this EWU defense. Grind them with the run and play action. The Bison DL needs to get pressure to force mistakes.

That pretty much should define the game plan for NDSU against any team other than possibly MVFC opponents that know the scheme and have the talent to actually stop it. Then the flea flicker or statue of liberty may be called for :D

Mayville Bison
September 8th, 2016, 10:29 AM
That pretty much should define the game plan for NDSU against any team other than possibly MVFC opponents that know the scheme and have the talent to actually stop it. Then the flea flicker or statue of liberty may be called for :D

HB Dive/Jump pass :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQWusOYCUk - #7

wapiti
September 8th, 2016, 10:55 AM
So the Misery Valley had better sweep the Big Sky this weekend. If they do not then MVFC is getting weak.

Professor Chaos
September 8th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I will say that whoever wins this game is very likely the #1 team in the country next week.

ewueagle2010
September 8th, 2016, 01:40 PM
I will say that whoever wins this game is very likely the #1 team in the country next week.

I would say UNI will be number one assuming they win and if EWU beats NDSU.

Mayville Bison
September 8th, 2016, 01:55 PM

Both teams beat a P5 team.

EWU wins on the road at #1FCS.

UNI wins at home against not #1FCS.

Should be a clear decision to me

kalm
September 8th, 2016, 01:57 PM
If NDSU loses by one they would have to still be ranked #2.

Grizalltheway
September 8th, 2016, 02:05 PM

http://img.allw.mn/content/en/r1/d198m10f57878d3c4b096756816383.gif

Oh, and title town? As in title, singular? xlolx

Professor Chaos
September 8th, 2016, 02:15 PM
We'll see how the games play out but I'd put a 2-0 EWU with wins @Washington St and @NDSU over a 2-0 UNI with wins @Iowa St and home against Montana. Both of those would be ridiculously good resumes for week 2 of the season.

Of course we shouldn't have to worry about it when NDSU wins. :D

Gil Dobie
September 8th, 2016, 02:22 PM
We'll see how the games play out but I'd put a 2-0 EWU with wins @Washington St and @NDSU over a 2-0 UNI with wins @Iowa St and home against Montana. Both of those would be ridiculously good resumes for week 2 of the season.

Of course we shouldn't have to worry about it when NDSU wins. :D

Doesn't matter, it will be resolved the following week.

dudeitsaid
September 8th, 2016, 04:28 PM

The line is down to 13.5, UM, NAU, and Weber lines unchanged.

Thumper 76
September 8th, 2016, 11:03 PM
If I was an EWU fan going to this game, I would definitely have this as a signhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/4c7d803ceb9dbaea16c227e394182674.jpg

UNI Pike
September 9th, 2016, 02:24 AM
UNI line is way too high - Farley's dream game is 2-0 victory, so he can say defense won the game. It shows in a pronounced manner every time we are up late.

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 9th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Bison 42-24

SeattleGriz
September 9th, 2016, 08:56 AM
If I was an EWU fan going to this game, I would definitely have this as a signhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/4c7d803ceb9dbaea16c227e394182674.jpg
...and don't forget the COWBELL!

dewey
September 9th, 2016, 10:35 AM
My prediction
NDSU 38
EWU 28

Dewey

dewey
September 9th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Here is an audio interview with Fargo WDAY's 970 Mike McFeely interviewing Eastern Washington beat writer Jim Allen.

http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2016/09/07/listen-eastern-washington-beat-writer-jim-allen/

The interview starts at about the 2:20 mark and ends about the 10:30 mark.

Here is an article about some of the history of Eastern Washington.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4110912-superstar-cooper-kupp-epitomizes-attitude-success-eastern-washington

Dewey

Gil Dobie
September 9th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Bison 45, EWU 42

tomq04
September 9th, 2016, 02:30 PM
My head says bizon 34-31
My heart says eags win if they score 40+ sone thing like 45-38

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 9th, 2016, 03:09 PM
EWU 55
Bison 23

TheKingpin28
September 9th, 2016, 04:38 PM
31-17 NDSU

Bold Prediction: NDSU has 2nd stringers in.

Grizalltheway
September 9th, 2016, 04:48 PM
31-17 NDSU

Bold Prediction: NDSU has 2nd stringers in.

Man, that would be funny. EWU is definitely not the type of team where you want to take your foot off the gas, even with a sizable lead.

Rjones61
September 9th, 2016, 04:50 PM
This was posted on the Eastern forum. It's a damn near perfect hype article for both sides of the field.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/subplots-galore-in-eastern-washington-vs-ndsu-090916

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 9th, 2016, 06:02 PM
EWU 55
Bison 23

xlolx

55?

xlolx

POD Knows
September 9th, 2016, 06:12 PM
EWU 55
Bison 23

Sounds about right to me, we are bored with FCS and are going to phone it in. I don't even like getting hammered before the games anymore because of the lack of joy and I am sure that type of mood is spread across the team as well. I might leave at halftime and knock off a piece in the parking lot or download emails.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2016, 04:47 AM
Game Day...about time!!!!

If the Bison OC doesn't get cute, the running game should pound EWU into the ground. EWU gave up almost 6 yards/carry against WSU and WSU was 7/12 on 3rd down.

EWU's DL: 265, 255, 300, 240.........RUN THE BALL!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Bison 42-24

Still think this will be the score!!!!

xnodx

Twentysix
September 10th, 2016, 04:59 AM
It's game day MFers. Go bison!

kalm
September 10th, 2016, 05:32 AM
Game Day...about time!!!!

If the Bison OC doesn't get cute, the running game should pound EWU into the ground. EWU gave up almost 6 yards/carry against WSU and WSU was 7/12 on 3rd down.

EWU's DL: 265, 255, 300, 240.........RUN THE BALL!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Still think this will be the score!!!!

xnodx
I want to say we played an almost flawless game last week offensively but then watching the replay, I had forgotten that we missed a field goal and didn't score until almost the end of the 1st quarter. On defense, we played far better than the score and points allowed showed. We were able to get some pressure without blitzing, closed on the ball faster than last year, and held WSU scoreless for 31 straight minutes.

We are a young team and we are probably going to show some inconsistency from week to week. I can see a 10 point win for the Bison. But if we play like we did last week, you might be able to reverse that score, BFNM. xnodx

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Bison looked very beatable in the opener, probably come down to the last second and the refs will lean Bison once again....don't look back North Dak State, there is a young D back east that is gaining on you... see you in 2018... haha

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2016, 06:48 AM
I want to say we played an almost flawless game last week offensively but then watching the replay, I had forgotten that we missed a field goal and didn't score until almost the end of the 1st quarter. On defense, we played far better than the score and points allowed showed. We were able to get some pressure without blitzing, closed on the ball faster than last year, and held WSU scoreless for 31 straight minutes.

We are a young team and we are probably going to show some inconsistency from week to week. I can see a 10 point win for the Bison. But if we play like we did last week, you might be able to reverse that score, BFNM. xnodx

I'll raise you another young team....the Bison.

I have watched that EWU/WSU game twice and EWU's does look a little better compared to the last few years abomination of a defense. I highly doubt EWU's defense will hold the Bison scoreless for 31 minutes in this game. But I can tell you this, the Bison defense is better than WSU's. I could name 3-4 defenses in the Valley that are better than the Cougar's.

Yes, EWU has a very dynamic offense and will get some passing yards today but the Bison defense has answered every challenge the last 5 years with prolific offenses and I have no doubt that they will rise to the occasion later today.

EWU's fans have said TOP will not matter much in this game.......we'll see.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Bison looked very beatable in the opener, probably come down to the last second and the refs will lean Bison once again....don't look back North Dak State, there is a young D back east that is gaining on you... see you in 2018... haha

Yep, the refs won us another game.....xrolleyesx

Must be the same thing in the last 73 wins....

FCSwatcher
September 10th, 2016, 07:34 AM
I'll raise you another young team....the Bison.

I have watched that EWU/WSU game twice and EWU's does look a little better compared to the last few years abomination of a defense. I highly doubt EWU's defense will hold the Bison scoreless for 31 minutes in this game. But I can tell you this, the Bison defense is better than WSU's. I could name 3-4 defenses in the Valley that are better than the Cougar's.

Yes, EWU has a very dynamic offense and will get some passing yards today but the Bison defense has answered every challenge the last 5 years with prolific offenses and I have no doubt that they will rise to the occasion later today.

EWU's fans have said TOP will not matter much in this game.......we'll see.

Let me see if I understand this

The Bison have a TOP advantage. This doesn't mean the Bison get more possessions than the Eagles, only there are less possessions per team, possibly.

So it still comes down to who scores during their possessions, which are still equal, and if they are TDs or field goals.

It is about efficiency, what you do with your time, not the amount of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Yep, the refs won us another game.....xrolleyesx

Must be the same thing in the last 73 wins....

I admit the refs and North Dak State at home make for an unbeatable team.....

kalm
September 10th, 2016, 07:55 AM

The Bison have a TOP advantage. This doesn't mean the Bison get more possessions than the Eagles, only there are less possessions per team, possibly.

So it still comes down to who scores during their possessions, which are still equal, and if they are TDs or field goals.

Eastern has never won a game where we gave up a ton of rushing yards and lost the TOP.

Thundar
September 10th, 2016, 08:04 AM

Please explain how the refs leaned towards ndsu in the Chuck South game?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2016, 08:12 AM

xlolx

The Bison averaged over 36 minutes of TOP last year, I bet it is close to that or even more today. If the Bison are grinding out 7-8-9 minute drives and scoring this game will be a rout. If they have too many 3 and outs they will lose.

Hey, what a revelation you just had......"who scores during their possessions"......xrolleyesx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2016, 08:17 AM

Keep that in your back pocket for the UD/Bison game in '18.

FCSwatcher
September 10th, 2016, 08:17 AM
xlolx

The Bison averaged over 36 minutes of TOP last year, I bet it is close to that or even more today. If the Bison are grinding out 7-8-9 minute drives and scoring this game will be a rout. If they have too many 3 and outs they will lose.

Hey, what a revelation you just had......"who scores during their possessions"......xrolleyesx

You answered it yourself. "If they have too many....".

You forgot one part. If we score on the long possessions.

Efficiency not TOP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kalm
September 10th, 2016, 08:32 AM

xlolx

Eastern has never won a game where we gave up a ton of rushing yards and lost the TOP.

What a revelation to agree with his post.

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Keep that in your back pocket for the UD/Bison game in '18.

Reeder, keep that name stored away...they will be a household name soon in stereo

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 10th, 2016, 10:44 AM

You seem lost. The thread you're probably looking for is the "Most delusional poster", which you fit to a T

Thumper 76
September 10th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Reeder, keep that name stored away...they will be a household name soon in stereo

Could have swore there was a thread about the UD/NDSU matchup to talk about this somewhere xcoffeex

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2016, 01:19 PM
You seem lost. The thread you're probably looking for is the "Most delusional poster", which you fit to a T

Keep day dreamin

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2016, 03:35 PM

the beat goes on

malibudude
September 10th, 2016, 05:10 PM

Yeah you have ,,,Cal Poly the last two times. Could be wrong and too lazy to check

Jacked_Rabbit
September 10th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Other than DeLuca, this year's NDSU D looks awfully porous...

dudeitsaid
September 10th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Yeah you have ,,,Cal Poly the last two times. Could be wrong and too lazy to check

His comment was tongue in cheek.

Bisonoline
September 10th, 2016, 10:49 PM

apparently you dont know how to read a stat sheet. Do we have to post it in spanish?

dudeitsaid
September 11th, 2016, 01:52 AM

apparently you dont know how to read a stat sheet. Do we have to post it in spanish?

Those refs were just brutal...to both teams. That crappy officiating detracted from what was a really good game. It was so freaking disruptive, and so many of the calls were just mind-boggling. That being said, EWU turned the ball over three times, missed an XP, and still had a chance to win it on a field goal at the end. If EWU can put together mistake free games, they will be hard to beat. NDSU will be hard to beat as usual, and more often than not, seems to be able to march down the field when it matters and score. If we could've stopped the Bison offense of their last drive of regulation, we could've won then. But it reminded me of Kansas State and the NC against Illinois State.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2016, 06:56 AM
the beat goes on

The Bison had 13 penalties.....nice try though.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Those refs were just brutal...to both teams. That crappy officiating detracted from what was a really good game. It was so freaking disruptive, and so many of the calls were just mind-boggling. That being said, EWU turned the ball over three times, missed an XP, and still had a chance to win it on a field goal at the end. If EWU can put together mistake free games, they will be hard to beat. NDSU will be hard to beat as usual, and more often than not, seems to be able to march down the field when it matters and score. If we could've stopped the Bison offense of their last drive of regulation, we could've won then. But it reminded me of Kansas State and the NC against Illinois State.

EWU's passing attack is impressive to say the least. Gubrud gets rid of the ball quick and has a very good WR corp to throw to. Our defensive coaches didn't do our defense any favors by totally changing the defense to only rushing 3 players.....a huge failure on their part, but EWU made plays.

It was painful for me to watch our defensive game plan for this game. Plus, what made me even more mad was our coaches stuck with it even though EWU was torching our pass defense.....wow.

Hopefully our coaches learn from this also because if these teams meet again it will be the same dose of passing all over the field by EWU.

Gil Dobie
September 11th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Kudos to Eastern Washington, great game. Just glad the Bison were able to score more points. Even Richard Sherman couldn't have covered the EWU receivers as long as Gubrud scrambled to keep plays alive. Deluca had a great game for the Bison Defense. Back to back over-time games in the Fargodome, time to take a break.

Sitting thru all the reviews was like watching paint dry.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Other than DeLuca, this year's NDSU D looks awfully porous...

They gave up only 250 yards to CSU.

The Bison defense is still very good. Piss poor game prep and that is on the coaches. No way should they have continually had a 3 man rush. Reinvented the wheel and it almost got them beat.

underdawg
September 11th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Nice Big Sky Gamexlolx

WTFCollegefootballfan
September 11th, 2016, 08:39 AM
EWU's passing attack is impressive to say the least. Gubrud gets rid of the ball quick and has a very good WR corp to throw to. Our defensive coaches didn't do our defense any favors by totally changing the defense to only rushing 3 players.....a huge failure on their part, but EWU made plays.

It was painful for me to watch our defensive game plan for this game. Plus, what made me even more mad was our coaches stuck with it even though EWU was torching our pass defense.....wow.

Hopefully our coaches learn from this also because if these teams meet again it will be the same dose of passing all over the field by EWU.

You say there QB got rid of the ball quickly??? He had all day. One play they said he had 8 seconds, one play he had 10 seconds. That 3 man rush gave him all day to throw the ball.

POD Knows
September 11th, 2016, 08:42 AM
You say there QB got rid of the ball quickly??? He had all day. One play they said he had 8 seconds, one play he had 10 seconds. That 3 man rush gave him all day to throw the ball.

This and it is tough as **** to defend "schoolyard" pass routes, which is what happened on several of the deep balls.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2016, 08:43 AM

Ya, he did. He has a quick release.

Of course he had all day to pass, I was there watching.

Haven't read much of the posts have you.....

Drblankstare
September 11th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Ya, he did. He has a quick release.

Of course he had all day to pass, I was there watching.

Haven't read much of the posts have you.....

The reason he had all day was because he gets the ball out so quickly. The Bison game plan was obviously saying we won't be able to get to him with pressure so let's try to blanket the field. Obviously now we see it didn't work and he picked us apart, but it was a choice that was made because of his quick release.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2016, 09:01 AM
The reason he had all day was because he gets the ball out so quickly. The Bison game plan was obviously saying we won't be able to get to him with pressure so let's try to blanket the field. Obviously now we see it didn't work and he picked us apart, but it was a choice that was made because of his quick release.

That's is what I said. I was commenting on his play. He's the real deal.

kalm
September 11th, 2016, 09:16 AM

This. Keep in mind, the only game film they had of Gubrud was from his first start last week against WSU. Gage has a very quick release, but we also schemed it well with short drops, quick slants, and designed roll outs. We didn't throw it deep at all that game.

So if I'm NDSU, having extra defenders to clog up route running and passing lanes on the short stuff makes sense on paper. That's what I figured they'd do and Beau probably did as well. That's the beauty of this offense. It's complex and there are so many different variations all of which can be effective and changed up not just game to game but quarter to quarter.

Drblankstare
September 11th, 2016, 09:23 AM
That's is what I said. I was commenting on his play. He's the real deal.

Yep i was agreeing with you

YoUDeeMan
September 11th, 2016, 09:24 AM
That's the beauty of this defense. It's complex and there are so many different variations all of which can be effective and changed up not just game to game but quarter to quarter. But, it is also so complex that we never get it right, so we've given up and don't bother to try anymore.

Finally, an honest discussion about EWU's D. :D

You know, I thought this board talked more football, but I see that Screaminglikeababy Eagle simply increases the post counts with his garbage in the football threads...so it is all an illusion.

Carry on.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2016, 09:28 AM
This. Keep in mind, the only game film they had of Gubrud was from his first start last week against WSU. Gage has a very quick release, but we also schemed it well with short drops, quick slants, and designed roll outs. We didn't throw it deep at all that game.

So if I'm NDSU, having extra defenders to clog up route running and passing lanes on the short stuff makes sense on paper. That's what I figured they'd do and Beau probably did as well. That's the beauty of this offense. It's complex and there are so many different variations all of which can be effective and changed up not just game to game but quarter to quarter.

Have to give Baldwin some credit, that passing game is for real. NDSU's 3-man rush was a head scratcher, esp when they continued with it, but Gubrud was elusive and he can really extend plays. The whole WR corp is very good.

The Bison OLB covering the slot WR was burned all game. EWU exploited that and should have.

Now the defense for EWU is still a liability but when the offense can score like that....wow.

kalm
September 11th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Finally, an honest discussion about EWU's D. :D

You know, I thought this board talked more football, but I see that Screaminglikeababy Eagle simply increases the post counts with his garbage in the football threads...so it is all an illusion.

Carry on.

What's to discuss? We still suck. Unlike in 2010.

Professor Chaos
September 11th, 2016, 09:53 AM

I'll be interested to see how UNI approaches the game next week seeing how NDSU struggled so much. UNI is built very much like NDSU to begin with and this year their defenses are even more similar because the front 7s are solid but the questions are in the secondary. UNI held down Montana pretty well though so we'll see if they're able to put up a little more resistance against EWU than NDSU did with the game film from this week on file.

YoUDeeMan
September 11th, 2016, 11:20 AM
What's to discuss? We still suck. Unlike in 2010.

Speaking of refs...xlolx

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2016, 01:16 PM

The only game Ive seen like this was the NDSU--SDSU playoff game. The refs totally changed the dynamics of the game. Then refs were so bad they called a tip ball that on review was over 3 feet higher than the players hand.

I think we had a lot of--I think I saw this and they had a conference with everyone to see if they saw it also or they think they might have seen it so they could make a ruling. Either there was a foul or not? Either you saw it or you didnt. One of the worst officiated game Ive seen.

IBleedYellow
September 13th, 2016, 11:43 AM
NDSU sent in video to the MVFC refs - and of the 5 blocking below the waist penalties, only 1 of them should have actually been called.

That's frustrating.

AmsterBison
September 13th, 2016, 11:49 AM
NDSU sent in video to the MVFC refs - and of the 5 blocking below the waist penalties, only 1 of them should have actually been called.

That's frustrating.

I really don't know what they are doing. I've seen some completely imaginary penalties from MVFC refs. Are they taking suggestions from the sideline?

Here's a chop block call our LG and LT last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGi573cXzr4

WTF game was that guy watching? Took away a huge gain too.

F'N Hawks
September 13th, 2016, 11:49 AM

That's frustrating.

They changed the rules to incorporate "angles" of the block and it's harder than hell to interpret, IMO. The high/low is pretty easy but the new cut block rule is F'd up. Those refs are in a bad spot.

IIRC, UND got two chop block penalties that were angle related last week.

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2016, 11:50 AM

That's frustrating.

Source? I didn't realize they would comment on calls.

Thumper 76
September 13th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Source? I didn't realize they would comment on calls.

NDSU was claiming that only one was a penalty.

AmsterBison
September 13th, 2016, 12:05 PM
They changed the rules to incorporate "angles" of the block and it's harder than hell to interpret, IMO. The high/low is pretty easy but the new cut block rule is F'd up. Those refs are in a bad spot.

IIRC, UND got two chop block penalties that were angle related last week.

Maybe, but I don't think chop blocks are hard to interpret. If you are blocking high, you can't have another player take him low.

If a defensive player dives on the ground and a LT and LG land on top of him, that's not a chop block.

F'N Hawks
September 13th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Maybe, but I don't think chop blocks are hard to interpret. If you are blocking high, you can't have another player take him low.

If a defensive player dives on the ground and a LT and LG land on top of him, that's not a chop block.

I wasn't responding to your video, I saw it afterwards.

I think the angle deal is not only for wide receivers down field but for lineman as well. I think a side angle cut block can be called now too, whereas before it was OK. Pretty much have to be straight on with players now.

I don't know what the five NDSU penalties were for or what type, no idea.

AmsterBison
September 13th, 2016, 12:29 PM
I wasn't responding to your video, I saw it afterwards.

I think the angle deal is not only for wide receivers down field but for lineman as well. I think a side angle cut block can be called now too, whereas before it was OK. Pretty much have to be straight on with players now.

I don't know what the five NDSU penalties were for or what type, no idea.

Yeah, cut block is much harder call to get right. Chop block is pretty cut and dried.

IBleedYellow
September 13th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Source: Jeff Culhane on The Insiders.

https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984

You can find it in the full show link. 5:32 it starts.

Red & Black
September 14th, 2016, 08:19 PM

That's frustrating.

I'm not going to state that the officiating was the difference in the game...there were some absolutely egregious calls made against both teams that should never have been made.

My big problem was how often they stopped the game to convene. I believe it was 8 or 9 times...some of it over very routine stuff. When you are a no-huddle, rhythm type offense, that is disruptive to what you're trying to do. I don't know if those were MVFC officials, or what...but mad, they were bad.

Bisonator
September 14th, 2016, 08:24 PM
I'm not going to state that the officiating was the difference in the game...there were some absolutely egregious calls made against both teams that should never have been made.

My big problem was how often they stopped the game to convene. I believe it was 8 or 9 times...some of it over very routine stuff. When you are a no-huddle, rhythm type offense, that is disruptive to what you're trying to do. I don't know if those were MVFC officials, or what...but mad, they were bad.
They were MVFC refs. Bad is an understatement. I hope we don't have them for any conference games.xsmhx

Bison56
September 15th, 2016, 08:33 AM

As a fan watching the game it took the wind out of my sails so to speak, I imagine like you stated it was a huge momentum killer for the players as well trying to get a rhythm going.