PDA

View Full Version : FBS vs. FCS games a necessity for FBS

JohnStOnge
December 30th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Because there are so many bowls. There are 32 bowls so 64 FBS teams are needed to fill the slots. An FBS team needs 6 wins to be bowl eligible.

I just did a quick count for 2006. I counted 56 I-A teams that managed at least 6 wins without needing a win over a I-AA to get there. I might have been a little off on my count because I just went through it once. But it's pretty clear that there would be a substantial risk that there wouldn't be enough 6 win FBS teams to fill all 64 bowl slots without games between the two subdivisions.

PantherRob82
December 30th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Way too many bowl games. xidiotx

bobbythekidd
December 30th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Way too many bowl games. xidiotx
Oh, goodie! Another PantherRob post!:hurray:

Well thought out and informative, sir.:smiley_wi

PantherRob82
December 30th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Oh, goodie! Another PantherRob post!:hurray:

Well thought out and informative, sir.:smiley_wi

Give me a break here. :D

I typed the short version of what I was thinking. If you can't egt enough FBS teams to 6 wins without letting them count an FCS win, then they need to cut back on bowl games.

is that better?

jmuroller
December 30th, 2006, 02:45 PM
They need to move the requirement up to 7 wins if you play 12 games. That will weed out some of the lame-o bowls.

Ronbo
December 30th, 2006, 03:40 PM
They need to move the requirement up to 7 wins if you play 12 games. That will weed out some of the lame-o bowls.

I haven't watched a lameo bowl yet. They have all been entertaining. Huge crowds too. Let's say they cut out the FCS games. The teams that had a I-AA win would replace them with FBS teams and I think they might have won a few of those. Enough to fill out the 64 teams anyway. How many teams needed a I-AA win to become bowl eligible? And how many of those might have won a I-A game as well? Half?

JALMOND
December 30th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Because there are so many bowls. There are 32 bowls so 64 FBS teams are needed to fill the slots. An FBS team needs 6 wins to be bowl eligible.

I just did a quick count for 2006. I counted 56 I-A teams that managed at least 6 wins without needing a win over a I-AA to get there. I might have been a little off on my count because I just went through it once. But it's pretty clear that there would be a substantial risk that there wouldn't be enough 6 win FBS teams to fill all 64 bowl slots without games between the two subdivisions.

New Mexico lost to a non-playoff FCS team yet made a bowl. They obviously didn't need to schedule that. They could have played Idaho.

JohnStOnge
December 30th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I haven't watched a lameo bowl yet. They have all been entertaining. Huge crowds too. Let's say they cut out the FCS games. The teams that had a I-AA win would replace them with FBS teams and I think they might have won a few of those. Enough to fill out the 64 teams anyway. How many teams needed a I-AA win to become bowl eligible? And how many of those might have won a I-A game as well? Half?

Here's the thing: There are 119 FBS teams. There are 64 bowl slots. That's more than half of the total number of teams in the subdivision. With 12 games per team, it wouldn't be at all impossible to end up with 64 teams with at least 6 wins without the FBS/FCS games. But there would certainly, I think, be a substantial risk that it wouldn't happen. Under current circumstances, I think it's very possible you could end up running out of 6 win teams before all the bowl slots are filled.

December 30th, 2006, 04:47 PM
... How many teams needed a I-AA win to become bowl eligible?...From the post that started this thread:
... I just did a quick count for 2006. I counted 56 I-A teams that managed at least 6 wins without needing a win over a I-AA to get there...xcoffeex

BrevardMountaineer03
December 30th, 2006, 05:06 PM
But there would certainly, I think, be a substantial risk that it wouldn't happen. Under current circumstances, I think it's very possible you could end up running out of 6 win teams before all the bowl slots are filled.

That's why the bowl system is screwed up. You could have a team with a record of .500 (i.e. Florida State {even though I route for them}) make a bowl that doesn't mean much. The worst record was a 6-5 Lafayette, but they were a Conference Champ and deserved that birth. Montana St. and McNese St. were 7-4 and got in. Now, how many 7 win teams were left out? Even 6-5 Lafayette was above .500. I think you should have to be above .500 to get in to the playoffs/bowl.

Oh, and FBS teams needn't think that FCS teams will just roll over and let them win.

December 30th, 2006, 05:30 PM
... FBS teams needn't think that FCS teams will just roll over and let them win.No but that's extra fine if they do! :smiley_wi