PDA

View Full Version : Negotiations Continue Between FAMU & Boosters Over Unpaid Money

superman7515
August 25th, 2016, 06:56 PM
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2016/08/24/negotiations-famu-athletics-boosters-continue/89310188/

Florida A&M’s Board of Trustees in June asked Trustee Thomas Dortch to facilitate talks (http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2016/06/30/famu-bot-tabs-dortch-facilitate-talks-boosters-athletic-department/86560028/) between the Rattlers Boosters and the school’s athletic department.

The two groups have gone back and forth for months over how much money the Boosters owe FAMU athletics from 2015 (http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2016/08/02/negotiations-boosters-famu-athletics-ongoing/87977694/). In recent meetings, they’ve tried to come up with a suitable monetary settlement, but the process has been slow.

Wednesday, during a full meeting of the Board, Dortch said there’s been progress – the Boosters contributed $30,000 for athletic scholarships earlier in the week – but he expects more to be done by the next full BOT meeting on Sept. 14.

This is not the first deadline that has been set for a resolution (http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2016/07/21/deadline-negotiations-boosters-famu-athletics-friday/87403742/) between the Boosters and athletics, however the $30,000 contribution is the first monetary contribution confirmed by Dortch since negotiations began.

The number is a far cry from what the Boosters offered the athletic department during a July meeting. Rattler Boosters board member Selvin Cobb originally proposed a $93,187.50 settlement, more than $200,000 away from the $314,783 FAMU Athletic Director Milton Overton Jr. was seeking.

“Between now and the Board of Trustees meeting next month, we should have a documented picture of where we’re going to go and what they’re going to bring to the table,” Dortch said...

ASU33
August 25th, 2016, 07:23 PM
How the mighty have fallen

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 25th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Geez. This sounds sort of like every urban city government almost everywhere around the country.

Bisonoline
August 25th, 2016, 11:32 PM
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2016/08/24/negotiations-famu-athletics-boosters-continue/89310188/

Why do the boosters OWE the school money? Why the settlement? i dont get it.

Thumper 76
August 25th, 2016, 11:34 PM
Why do the boosters OWE the school money? Why the settlement? i dont get it.

Yeah, I'm confused too. Don't boosters donate money? How can you demand more from a donation?

PantherRob82
August 25th, 2016, 11:50 PM
I would assume that they raised funds for the athletic department from outside sources and then did not pay it to the athletic department. Just the only thing that makes sense to me at the moment.

Twentysix
August 26th, 2016, 02:22 AM
I would assume that they raised funds for the athletic department from outside sources and then did not pay it to the athletic department. Just the only thing that makes sense to me at the moment.

That seems logical. More information would be great.

walliver
August 26th, 2016, 05:19 AM
From the article

“I expect more,” he said. “Even if they need to do it in installments. They exist to support this university. I expect more and our conversations will continue.”
During the Wendesday’s BOT meeting, with Overton. in attendance, Dortch said before Overton arrived in August of 2015, the Boosters weren’t held accountable.
The lack of oversight in the past has led to the monetary issues the Boosters face today, he said. FAMU’s athletic department has its own money problems – during committee meetings on Tuesday, BOT Chairman Kelvin Lawson said the department’s deficit is at “roughly” $7 million.
Overton’s $8,937,500 budget for 2016-17 and his five-year revenue plan were approved by the BOT during Wednesday’s meeting. The budget has room for $100,000 in support from DSOs, including the Boosters.

I have never heard of a booster club operating independently from its institution. Sounds like FAMU has too many want-to-be-kings and no-one really in charge. Although with the phrase "lack or oversight in the past", it seems that someone may have been quite liberal with his/her expense account.

Twentysix
August 26th, 2016, 07:37 AM
From the article

I have never heard of a booster club operating independently from its institution. Sounds like FAMU has too many want-to-be-kings and no-one really in charge. Although with the phrase "lack or oversight in the past", it seems that someone may have been quite liberal with his/her expense account.

Pretty sure that is how all booster clubs work. That's how it's magically private money at a public university.

Anthony215
August 26th, 2016, 07:56 AM
With a $7 million budget deficit in the athletic department it might be time for FAMU to start looking at either moving to the SWAC to cut down on traveling cost (assume its a lot cheaper to travel to Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi and Alabama & Arkansas than North Carolina & Delaware. If the SWAC doesn't work might be time to consider a move back down to D2 and going to the SIAC.

walliver
August 26th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Pretty sure that is how all booster clubs work. That's how it's magically private money at a public university.

Most of them are technically independent, but functionally part of the athletic program. This booster club seems to be functionally independent.
Usually the "independence" is a legal fiction.

Mr.Loco
August 28th, 2016, 07:57 PM
With a $7 million budget deficit in the athletic department it might be time for FAMU to start looking at either moving to the SWAC to cut down on traveling cost (assume its a lot cheaper to travel to Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi and Alabama & Arkansas than North Carolina & Delaware. If the SWAC doesn't work might be time to consider a move back down to D2 and going to the SIAC.
If they leave will BCU and SCSU keep them on the schedule

ASU33
August 28th, 2016, 08:24 PM
If they leave will BCU and SCSU keep them on the schedule

BCU will. SC State probably would too!

ASU33
August 28th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Man FAMU is a mess and has been since that botched FBS attempt.

Bisonoline
August 28th, 2016, 08:33 PM
If theyve raised money and dont want to hand it over may be they dont have all of it to hand over? May be thats the problem.

dgtw
August 29th, 2016, 04:50 AM

I don't think it would save all that much.