PDA

View Full Version : Spider Postseason Hopes

Matt
August 23rd, 2016, 03:39 PM
Anyone else terrified of this schedule. No NH, but Towson (who we also cant beat) takes their spot. Them plus an angry JMU and Nova (our OTHER other kryptonite) could equal 7-4 at season's end, and outside looking in on the playoffs. It's good all three games are at home, yeah, but still. That's never meant much against Nova OR JMU.

BEAR
August 23rd, 2016, 03:46 PM
Spiders.....ugh...
https://pics.onsizzle.com/Facebook-Got-him-727fbd.png

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 23rd, 2016, 06:41 PM
Anyone else terrified of this schedule. No NH, but Towson (who we also cant beat) takes their spot. Them plus an angry JMU and Nova (our OTHER other kryptonite) could equal 7-4 at season's end, and outside looking in on the playoffs. It's good all three games are at home, yeah, but still. That's never meant much against Nova OR JMU.

No. Not terrified.

Do you think our 16 returning starters and experienced coaching staff that won the conference and made the National Semifinals are thinking this way? I don't.

Matt
August 24th, 2016, 11:01 AM
No. Not terrified.

Do you think our 16 returning starters and experienced coaching staff that won the conference and made the National Semifinals are thinking this way? I don't.

You're right, and I know those stats. But I was asking fan response. Every player thinks "15-0, national title." I know we'll be damn good. I don't like having Towson and Nova on the schedule.

KPSUL
August 24th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Richmond plays all but one (W&M) of its toughest 2016 FCS regular season opponents at home: Colgate,Towson, JMU and Villanova. It's not a bad draw. I would think Richmond fans would have high expectations for the season, Richmond is showing up in the top 5 of most polls, you can't expect to contend for a championship without playing a few tough teams

Matt
August 24th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Richmond plays all but one (W&M) of its toughest 2016 FCS regular season opponents at home: Colgate,Towson, JMU and Villanova. It's not a bad draw. I would think Richmond fans would have high expectations for the season, Richmond is showing up in the top 5 of most polls, you can't expect to contend for a championship without playing a few tough teams

"terrified" was too strong a word on my part. Historically, we've played better as an underdog, so expectations make me nervous. But the hype is legit, for sure.

Gangtackle11
August 24th, 2016, 03:41 PM
"terrified" was too strong a word on my part. Historically, we've played better as an underdog, so expectations make me nervous. But the hype is legit, for sure.

I hear you. Villanova Preseason top 5 last season finished 6-5 & watching FCS playoffs from their dorm rooms.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 24th, 2016, 05:24 PM
Not to be a jerk because i'm thrilled to have a new Richmond poster on the board, but at some point you just need to embrace expectations and stop being a pu$$y.

Embrace it, Matt. It will be OK.

Matt
August 24th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Not to be a jerk because i'm thrilled to have a new Richmond poster on the board, but at some point you just need to embrace expectations and stop being a pu$$y.

Embrace it, Matt. It will be OK.

lol. not be a jerk but dont be a pu**y. hahahahah fair enough. i do embrace it and im excited for the season. you have to admit that im right about the spiders thriving as underdogs

thanks for welcoming me. ive tried to join before and registration was closed. glad to be here

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 25th, 2016, 05:33 AM
You are right but this feels very different with Rocco and Lauletta.

My counter question to you would be, "When did we underachieve with Eric Ward?"

There's a fairly common thread on the years of underachievement... an underachieving quarterback. Keep Kyle upright and we're going to be really, really good.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Richmond wins the CAA, IMO.

Lock for the playoffs.

POD Knows
August 25th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Richmond's schedule is a wet dream, virtually every "difficult" conference game, with the exception of W and M is at home.

Quit biting your pillow and man the **** up.

See you at Fargo in the semi's

RootinFerDukes
August 25th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Richmond's schedule is a wet dream, virtually every "difficult" conference game, with the exception of W and M is at home.

Yep. Even the CAA's 12 teams in 12 days video yesterday commented on how Richmond may have one of the easiest schedules of any CAA team this year. 8 of 11 games are played in the state of VA and another road game is in NC, all of a three hour drive away in Elon. They hardly even travel all season.
If they don't make the playoffs with that schedule, there's no one to blame but themselves.

smilo
August 25th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Honestly, don't even count out the Virginia game this year. 13 point dogs. I think that's overstating it with UVa in rebuild mode and seemingly a consensus pick for 7th in their weak division where almost anything else can happen. 2nd best shot at a P5 upset this year; we'll be pulling for you. Seems ripe to be a one possession game.

Mattymc727
August 25th, 2016, 09:24 AM
This is eerily similar to the UNH team coming off the 2013 season, surprise run to the semifinals, a lot of talent returning. It meant great things for UNH in 2014, Im sure it means the same for Richmond.

Matt
August 25th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Fair points

UNIFanSince1983
August 25th, 2016, 10:09 AM
There is no way Richmond doesn't make the playoffs. And lets be honest even at the 7-4 you mention in the first post they are a lock.

POD Knows
August 25th, 2016, 10:11 AM
There is no way Richmond doesn't make the playoffs. And lets be honest even at the 7-4 you mention in the first post they are a lock.

xcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 25th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Honestly, don't even count out the Virginia game this year. 13 point dogs. I think that's overstating it with UVa in rebuild mode and seemingly a consensus pick for 7th in their weak division where almost anything else can happen. 2nd best shot at a P5 upset this year; we'll be pulling for you. Seems ripe to be a one possession game.

5dimes opened 11.5 and is down to 10.5.

I'd love to win but I'd prefer to get out of there healthy. Bronco Mendenhall teams are dirty.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 25th, 2016, 10:13 AM

Thank you.

Matt
August 25th, 2016, 10:18 AM
5dimes opened 11.5 and is down to 10.5.

I'd love to win but I'd prefer to get out of there healthy. Bronco Mendenhall teams are dirty.

Agreed. This might be a chicken***** stance (which i guess will be my thing here?) but I'd love to do away with these FBS games. The size and strength advantage is silly and dangerous. Remember how badly playing NC State wrecked our season with injuries?

Hanca
August 25th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Agree, hate FBS game. Money is nice but really not a concern at UR which pays bball coach a million per year to underachieve. Like the schedule but bothered that 3 conference games are against opponent coming off bye week. Need to keep Lauletta healthy and find a running back. Think Spiders go 8-3

Thumper 76
August 25th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Agreed. This might be a chicken***** stance (which i guess will be my thing here?) but I'd love to do away with these FBS games. The size and strength advantage is silly and dangerous. Remember how badly playing NC State wrecked our season with injuries?

I'm fairly sure there's been a lengthy discussion about this topic somewhere on here and it's been proven false that players get hurt at a higher rate in FBS/FCS match ups. At least that's what I remember. On top of that its seems to me a lot of the CAA schools aren't playing the level of FBS teams a lot of the other conferences are playing. I doubt the difference in speed and size is as much as you believe, it's more of a depth issue in most instances.

Matt
August 25th, 2016, 04:08 PM
I'm fairly sure there's been a lengthy discussion about this topic somewhere on here and it's been proven false that players get hurt at a higher rate in FBS/FCS match ups. At least that's what I remember. On top of that its seems to me a lot of the CAA schools aren't playing the level of FBS teams a lot of the other conferences are playing. I doubt the difference in speed and size is as much as you believe, it's more of a depth issue in most instances.

You might be right it's more depth. If buy that. As for competition, our deal with the ACC has been in place a while. It's not the CAA's fault they've fallen off. It has resulted in some great results for our league tho!