PDA

View Full Version : Duquesne vs. YSU

Paladin1aa
August 23rd, 2016, 12:56 PM
YSU opens its season with Duquesne at home on the Turf. Guins still unsure of starting QB and may use several early in the season before settling on a regular starter. WR is still a problem and who starts there is also up in the air. But the OL and RB appear solid and the D should return as a solid unit.

Dukes are projected to be good this year and in line to challenge for their league title.

I project a 31-14 YSU win. :)

NY Crusader 2010
August 23rd, 2016, 02:06 PM
31-28 YSU in OT

Gangtackle11
August 23rd, 2016, 02:08 PM
35-13 YSU

Thumper 76
August 23rd, 2016, 02:32 PM
YSU should win big, but I won't be surprised if they don't.

The Yo Show
August 23rd, 2016, 03:56 PM
I'm thinking 31-14 as well. maybe 31 to 7 YSU

penguinpower
August 23rd, 2016, 04:57 PM
I don't see more than 7 points getting scored on the defense.

ytownchief22
August 23rd, 2016, 05:14 PM
YSU 24
Duquesne 10

Paladin1aa
August 24th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Be prepared to see YSU with a good D, but teams will score on them. Wide open football today makes for lots of opportunities. While the Dukes come from a weaker league, they are supposed to be one of its best teams and with lots of starters coming back, the opportunity for a weak team to play with a stronger team is best in the opener. Once a team has a few games under its belt & starts to get rolling, its tough for a weaker team to hang with the stronger team later in the season. Dukes will score more than once.

YSU had a great D last year and the stats to prove it, but still lost 6 games. It would be foolish to think YSU will shut people down.

I still think YSU is looking at a 6-5 year. If they get lucky, minimal injuries, a QB who can produce with shakey WRs and a D who plays well again, they might get 7-4. Oops, and if Bo doesn't blow up on the sidelines and cost them a game, lol.

ytownchief22
August 24th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Offense will be putrid, especially if the WR's don't develop. All on the OC, but yet he keeps his job year after year.

Paladin1aa
August 24th, 2016, 01:58 PM
YSU should have a solid run game with most of the Oline back and two good RBs. Question becomes who is the QB and will any WRs develope. I favor the dual threat QB as Wells has proven what I predicted he would be back as a Frosh -- isn't mobile, throws it up for grabs, doesn't make his reads well and isn't all that accurate and would never be a 4 year starter, and if he did, YSU would not have good QBs and look at losing lots of games. Last year's 5-6 wasn't on the D. The O failed at QB with Wells as the starter. The OC is a responsibility of the HC. Bo isn't looking so great so far. As I predicted.

KPSUL
August 24th, 2016, 03:59 PM
I'd pick that NEC team from Pittsburg to win if I thought I could spell it correctly!

bison137
August 24th, 2016, 04:14 PM
I'd pick that NEC team from Pittsburg to win if I thought I could spell it correctly!

If you can't spell Pittsburgh correctly, it's unlikely you can get Duquesne. :)

clenz
August 25th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Who takes over for Wells? What am I missing on that roster?

ytownchief22
August 25th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Ricky Davis. Was the backup all last year. Way more mobile than Wells. Decision has not been made yet tho so we'll see.

clenz
August 25th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Ricky Davis. Was the backup all last year. Way more mobile than Wells. Decision has not been made yet tho so we'll see.
The guy that has thrown 19 career passes, completed just 8 of them, for 142 yards and 1 TD?

That guy?

ysubigred
August 25th, 2016, 09:37 AM
The guy that has thrown 19 career passes, completed just 8 of them, for 142 yards and 1 TD?

That guy?

That guy! YSU is a ****ing soup samiwich as usual on "O"! Been that way since the great and powerful "MONTY" came there. His claim to fame is the head coach of Miami of Ohio and Ben Roethlisberger. So many wasted schollies on the spread "O" that used to be a big surprise to defenses. Note: YSU lands another 185 LB running back with the leg strength of a 3rd grade girl xeyebrowx YSU has one of the biggest "O" lines in football and wants to runs a spread xbangx

Paladin1aa
August 25th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Easy, Red, lol. Stay off the sauce this season, lol.

To be sure, Red, there was NO excuse for recruiting late another 185 lb. RB . Thats on Bo and if you recall, his first two recruit classes were -- first, a STINKER class and then a barely average class. You are correct, Red ,as YSU has a huge and experienced line, but NO DEPTH. The problem remains at QB. Davis may get playing time, but to be fair, they didn't give him much of a chance when they put him in last year, letting him hand off or run but throw sparingly . Wells, despite the "experts" over on the other site, isn't the answer. YSU could have a strong run game with several good backs, but QB will kill them if it isn't straightened out.

UNIFanSince1983
August 25th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Bo has a thing for little running backs. Pretty sure he liked them while at Nebraska too.

ysubigred
August 25th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Easy, Red, lol. Stay off the sauce this season, lol.

To be sure, Red, there was NO excuse for recruiting late another 185 lb. RB . Thats on Bo and if you recall, his first two recruit classes were -- first, a STINKER class and then a barely average class. You are correct, Red ,as YSU has a huge and experienced line, but NO DEPTH. The problem remains at QB. Davis may get playing time, but to be fair, they didn't give him much of a chance when they put him in last year, letting him hand off or run but throw sparingly . Wells, despite the "experts" over on the other site, isn't the answer. YSU could have a strong run game with several good backs, but QB will kill them if it isn't straightened out.

Got to be on the sauce to watch the last 7 years! xthumbsupx Like to find another Mark Brungard at QB xbawlingx

Paladin1aa
August 25th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I look for 6-5 ,Red.

You need NO excuse for hitting the sauce. I know you !:D

The Yo Show
August 25th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Maybe I'm optimistic but I think that this team could win alot of games. I think 8 wins is a possibility. Its hard to say without seeing how the offense is. It is also possible that it is more a 6-5 or 7-4 team that loses some close games. Hard to say right now, I've not seen the offense this year.

ytownchief22
August 25th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Defense is going to keep them in pretty much every game, unless the offense is so putrid the defense is on the field 3/4 of the game. It's all going to come down to the QB and WR's. If they can move the ball.

Paladin1aa
August 26th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Sorry, Chief, but they had a great D last year and were leaders or near leaders in many D categories. They still lost 6 games.

QB -- they used an immobile QB who didn't do well with his reads, threw too many to the OTHER team, was not accurate and had no pocket sense, getting sacked, dropping the FB, etc. He is what I told all of you he was going to be. Thats why they had to try a Juco to bring in and why Davis may get the call as YSU does NOT have a winning QB with Wells in there.

WR -- this is a prediction-- Shackleford may save their bacon. Big , fast WR from Newark has great hands. Young, but If he can separate, he'll be the go to guy. The guys from Hubbard and Youngstown Christian are over rated, as usual, for local guys. They would be better off hitting the TEs. Those guys have great hands.

Bo-- much of the problems is Bo and his inability to recruit & to patch up the holes . The Nebraska transfers helped, but his H.S. recruits show little help. I have no problem with Monty but play calling is a mystery. His O was top rated for several years when we had no D. Now we got a D, but holes in the O.

5 losses with a shot at 7-4. More than that, you need something strong to put you in LaLa land. But I'm going to enjoy seeing the other site go bonkers as the season unfolds and the reality hits !

ytownchief22
August 26th, 2016, 01:35 PM
That's why I said it all depends on the offense. Defense is great. 2, possibly 3 NFL prospects on that side of the ball but if they are on the field forever and the offense can't score in big games and big moments, its going to be another year missing the playoffs. Somehow Monty continues to keep his job after failing year after year. Guess we'll see.

Paladin1aa
August 26th, 2016, 02:07 PM
You should join Red on the sauce, Chief. He is a Monty hater too. Remember, the OC plays with the players the HC recruits ( or fails to recruit). It all starts at the top with Bo.

The Bo Reality show continues.

ysubigred
August 26th, 2016, 02:20 PM
You should join Red on the sauce, Chief. He is a Monty hater too. Remember, the OC plays with the players the HC recruits ( or fails to recruit). It all starts at the top with Bo.

The Bo Reality show continues.

Monty is lost in space. Sucked ass under the Wolfman who also sucked ass. Bo has not impressed me either. I think you should coach the team Pally xdrunkyx

Paladin1aa
August 26th, 2016, 02:47 PM
I'll drink to that, Red ! :p

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 28th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Stambaugh Stadium was lit up when I drove down I680 around 10:30 pm. If i have time in the A.M. I'm going to drive through YSU. I want a 'Guins shirt....

The Yo Show
August 29th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Go Lehigh, and you don't have to answer this, but I'm assuming you're from somewhere in Ohio? This is the second thing I've see you post saying you were close by stambaugh. Do you live in Ohio?

Penguin Nation
August 29th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Hey Paladin! I miss your posts on the other site.

if #12 or even #11 start at QB, the sky is the limit. If #6 starts, we may crack the playoffs...maybe. All indications are tho that #12 will start, and I'm fired up.

Monty sucks. I have no idea how he is still the OC. Him returning, and multiple things that happened last year (keeping Wells as QB, the NDSU meltdown), make me question Bo as a HC. Hopefully 2015 was a learning experience, and 2016 is the year we've waited so long for.

Paladin1aa
August 29th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Yo -- Lehigh was originally from the Valley.

PN -- thanks. I enjoyed the other site , but the owner wanted buttkissers all the time and could not deal with reality. Plus he knows next to nothing about football. Guins have a QB problem and there is noway out this year. #12 didn't get to play enough last year and then when he did, they didn't let him throw. Talented but unprepared because of not playing.. #11 is a dual threat, but passing has holes in his game. #6 drove to Ytown everyday as a H.S. senior to get an edge in learning the system and brown nose his way into beating out #12 who was in Cincy and couldn't be there everyday. That lead to #6 getting the start as a Frosh, where he escaped disaster by having the other team drop almost ALL the INT he threw to them. As a Soph, the disaster was seen because the enemy didn't drop the INTs.Locals misread his ability, as I predicted he would never be a 4 year starter with his ability or YSU would end up with bad QBs if he did. So much now depends on if they are going to dual threat ( with #11 or#12) or sticking to dropback #6. In the end, they will win some weenie games, get beat at WVU and then struggle in the MVFC again.

Look for Shackleford at WR this year. Both RBs are good and OL decent but no depth. The D is a standout. I'm hearing special teams may have some problems. We'll see.

ytownchief22
August 29th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Yo -- Lehigh was originally from the Valley.

PN -- thanks. I enjoyed the other site , but the owner wanted buttkissers all the time and could not deal with reality. Plus he knows next to nothing about football. Guins have a QB problem and there is noway out this year. #12 didn't get to play enough last year and then when he did, they didn't let him throw. Talented but unprepared because of not playing.. #11 is a dual threat, but passing has holes in his game. #6 drove to Ytown everyday as a H.S. senior to get an edge in learning the system and brown nose his way into beating out #12 who was in Cincy and couldn't be there everyday. That lead to #6 getting the start as a Frosh, where he escaped disaster by having the other team drop almost ALL the INT he threw to them. As a Soph, the disaster was seen because the enemy didn't drop the INTs.Locals misread his ability, as I predicted he would never be a 4 year starter with his ability or YSU would end up with bad QBs if he did. So much now depends on if they are going to dual threat ( with #11 or#12) or sticking to dropback #6. In the end, they will win some weenie games, get beat at WVU and then struggle in the MVFC again.

Look for Shackleford at WR this year. Both RBs are good and OL decent but no depth. The D is a standout. I'm hearing special teams may have some problems. We'll see.

Agreed Pally. Some of the Guin fans on the other site are looney and need to take the blinders off. Could YSU get into the playoffs ? Sure. I guess we will see. #12 definitely gives the team the best opportunity to win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Go Lehigh, and you don't have to answer this, but I'm assuming you're from somewhere in Ohio? This is the second thing I've see you post saying you were close by stambaugh. Do you live in Ohio?

I was born in McKeesport, PA and lived Austintown.

I was on my way back from a Nascar race in Michigan and needed a place to stay. Youngstown is usually my stopping point.

I'm a crazy person that likes Northeast Ohio....

bluefish
August 29th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I was born in McKeesport Pa and lived 7 years in Duquesne across the Monongahela. So, the Dukes win. Besides they did very well against Wm and Mary in the playoffs.

Lehigh'98
August 29th, 2016, 08:22 PM

I'm from Boardman too. I think Owl and I both wish Lehigh has played YSU a few times in the last 20 years. It's ashame given its a bus ride trip.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2016, 09:01 PM
I'm from Boardman too. I think Owl and I both wish Lehigh has played YSU a few times in the last 20 years. It's ashame given its a bus ride trip.

I stayed at the Days Inn in Boardman last night!

I've been advocating a Lehigh-YSU game for years! It's an easy trip across PA to play a quality program! Plus, there's a ton of high school talent in that part of Ohio...

The Yo Show
August 29th, 2016, 11:05 PM
I just got home from Boardman ironically. And I used to live in Mineral Ridge, so I know the whole area really well, Austintown especially so.

Penguin Nation
August 30th, 2016, 09:08 AM
There are some serious Lehigh-YSU connections. My sister (from Ytown) went to Lehigh.

Since I live in FL, I'm going to fire up the grill and have my own little tailgate with the wife and the dogs, and then catch the game on the big screen. Penguins come out swinging, and win by 24.

Lehigh'98
August 30th, 2016, 09:14 AM
There are some serious Lehigh-YSU connections. My sister (from Ytown) went to Lehigh.

Since I live in FL, I'm going to fire up the grill and have my own little tailgate with the wife and the dogs, and then catch the game on the big screen. Penguins come out swinging, and win by 24.

Nice, what year was she?

ytownchief22
August 30th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Hunter Wells is listed as the starting QB for the game, not Ricky Davis.

Paladin1aa
August 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM
And so it begins................

Guins handle the Dukes, but may struggle for a time.

Lehigh'98
August 30th, 2016, 12:26 PM

Played high school ball at Boardman with DJ Durkin, now the head coach of Maryland during the Tressel era at YSU. Durkin went on to be a 2yr captain at BGSU under Urban Meyer. He played with my brother there. I think he is in a great spot at Maryland. he's had success wherever he goes (hopefully his old head coaches Meyer and Harbaugh don't blow them out of the water this year in B1G)

ytownchief22
August 30th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Lots of changes on the depth chart I see for YSU. Should be an interesting year.

Penguin Nation
August 30th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Nice, what year was she?

She transferred from YSU to Lehigh and went there for 2 years in the early 1990s.

Penguin Nation
August 30th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Played high school ball at Boardman with DJ Durkin, now the head coach of Maryland during the Tressel era at YSU. Durkin went on to be a 2yr captain at BGSU under Urban Meyer. He played with my brother there. I think he is in a great spot at Maryland. he's had success wherever he goes (hopefully his old head coaches Meyer and Harbaugh don't blow them out of the water this year in B1G)

I think he'll do great things at Maryland. I've rooted for the Terps fro years as I lived in Maryland for most of my adult life and met my wife there. xthumbsupx Lots of Ytown coaching connections everywhere. I went to HS at Ursuline with Pat Narduzzi. Always a class act.

Penguin Nation
August 30th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Hunter Wells is listed as the starting QB for the game, not Ricky Davis.

Whatever. I refuse to believe it. If true then Pellini is no better than Heacock. I listened to Penguin Playbook and sure got the impression that BP wanted one QB.....and how could the one QB be an immobile QB?

Lehigh'98
August 30th, 2016, 02:15 PM
She transferred from YSU to Lehigh and went there for 2 years in the early 1990s.

Was her last name Fraser by any chance?

Penguin Nation
August 30th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Was her last name Fraser by any chance?

No. She studied civil engineering FWIW.

Lehigh'98
August 30th, 2016, 02:34 PM
No. She studied civil engineering FWIW.

Nah, I only knew three girls from Y-town in my time there. One from Austintown and two from S. Range. I didnt get there until '95 either.

Anyway, I'm really hoping Bo can get things turned around there. Had some great memories of the playoff games in the early 90's at the Ice Castle. Really wanted to get to play them in the playoffs in '98 when we made it, but it was a down year for them.

Penguin Nation
August 30th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Nah, I only knew three girls from Y-town in my time there. One from Austintown and two from S. Range. I didnt get there until '95 either.

Anyway, I'm really hoping Bo can get things turned around there. Had some great memories of the playoff games in the early 90's at the Ice Castle. Really wanted to get to play them in the playoffs in '98 when we made it, but it was a down year for them.

This is the year if its going to happen. We lose lots of key seniors after this season. The Tressel years were a blast. Hopefully things get back on track this year.

Lehigh'98
August 30th, 2016, 03:16 PM
This is the year if its going to happen. We lose lots of key seniors after this season. The Tressel years were a blast. Hopefully things get back on track this year.

Don't you think if Pelini sticks around he will start getting better quality recruits? I'm sure more guys from the valley would like to play for him. He has a name there.

Penguin Nation
August 30th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Don't you think if Pelini sticks around he will start getting better quality recruits? I'm sure more guys from the valley would like to play for him. He has a name there.

The NE $$ runs out after the 2018 season, so I don't so how he stays after that. I really like his brother Carl, the current DC, and hope he is the next FB HC. So far Bo has been mystifying to me. He has brought in high quality FBS transfers, built the #! FCS pass D overrnight, but has made some bizarre moves otherwise, including a meltdown in Q4 of the NDSU game, missing an obvious fake punt versus SDSU, and stubbornly started a QB who was in way over his head. I think the first year is always difficult, but he had 9 wins in his first year at NE, so idk. I do think his recruiting is strong. Regarding coaching, I think this season will answer those questions.

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2016, 02:40 PM
Here is the Pelini problem -- he is currently shunning Florida players and zeroing in on Ohio players. The NEO, specifically Youngstown metro area,, is down in player quality and numbers and no more resembles the powerhouse of yesteryear. We have only one large D-I team ledt -- Fitch. Both harding and Boardman are now D-II. The rest of the area is small school football, mostly D-IV to D-VI. Talent is down and the few FBS players are lower level /upper level FCS which loses most to MAC teams. A handful are true FBS players. Bo's first two classes I rated as a STINKER ( his first) and one barely average ( second class). The footprint for this program needs to be Florida, Calif, Texas, Ohio & Pa. Bo is zeroing in on Ohio and missing out on the other states . Results are starting to show. Not a good sign.

Lehigh'98
August 31st, 2016, 03:24 PM
Here is the Pelini problem -- he is currently shunning Florida players and zeroing in on Ohio players. The NEO, specifically Youngstown metro area,, is down in player quality and numbers and no more resembles the powerhouse of yesteryear. We have only one large D-I team ledt -- Fitch. Both harding and Boardman are now D-II. The rest of the area is small school football, mostly D-IV to D-VI. Talent is down and the few FBS players are lower level /upper level FCS which loses most to MAC teams. A handful are true FBS players. Bo's first two classes I rated as a STINKER ( his first) and one barely average ( second class). The footprint for this program needs to be Florida, Calif, Texas, Ohio & Pa. Bo is zeroing in on Ohio and missing out on the other states . Results are starting to show. Not a good sign.

Harding is DII? Wow, I had no idea. Why did the area drop off so much since the 90's? Is it an effect of the poor economics in the area?

The Yo Show
August 31st, 2016, 04:09 PM

Part of what you said is misleading though Paladin. Lehigh'98 if you aren't in the area anymore you wouldn't be expected to know this, but Ohio actually added a seventh division in 2013 (can't remember if that OHSAA rule went into effect the 2013 football season or 2014). The whole reason for that division change was to move alot of schools from D-I to D-II because the gap between the largest D-I school in male attendance to the smallest D-I school was greater than the gap from the smallest D-I school to the smallest D-VI school fielding a team (at the time, D-VI was the smallest division). The effect was basically DI was split into two divisions, and teams in basically every other division was moved down one. Didn't happen in all cases, but in alot. So most schools that were D-VI before are now D-VII.

Also, completely incorrect, Harding is still D-I.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23431&stc=1

The Yo Show
August 31st, 2016, 04:11 PM
That picture didn't show up correctly, but basically, Harding and Fitch are both D-I. East and Boardman are D-II, and Niles, Poland, Howland and Canfield are D-III. Here's a link since that picture was crap:
http://www.vindy.com/blitz/divisions/

As to the quality of recruits? I'm not going to argue that because I don't have statistics or any real research to back any claim I could make. It may be down somewhat, it may not. But, from my perspective, even if it is down, its not down a whole hell of a lot. LJ Scott came from Hubbard and is playing RB for the Spartans, had a big impact game last year as a freshman at a vital time. I remember from my high school class and the two years after I graduated (2010) there were a number of prospects from the area going to play D-I ball at "Big" schools like Michigan, WVU, Ohio State. And alot went to play for MAC schools. Not that any of that could be used as an argument for current class, so for that I will say this. I know Hubbard has linemen going to WVU. I've stopped following high school football so much since I've been out of high school for a while now, but I can say that from looking at Hubbard recently, I wouldn't say that talent in the valley is completely down. Maybe it is, maybe I'm wrong. Don't have stats and don't feel like looking into it.

clenz
August 31st, 2016, 04:24 PM
Oh here we go with the Florida recruits again.

I remember the up and down praising of how YSU was going to rule the conference because of Woooooolford's Florida talent and connections.

How'd that pan out?

SDSU, UNI, NDSU, ISUr, WIU aren't recruiting Florida. Hell, the are recruiting Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska and northern Missouri and that's about it.

Maybe it's not the talent at YSU. Maybe it's YSU doesn't have coaches that can develop the talent.

Lehigh'98
August 31st, 2016, 04:24 PM
Part of what you said is misleading though Paladin. Lehigh'98 if you aren't in the area anymore you wouldn't be expected to know this, but Ohio actually added a seventh division in 2013 (can't remember if that OHSAA rule went into effect the 2013 football season or 2014). The whole reason for that division change was to move alot of schools from D-I to D-II because the gap between the largest D-I school in male attendance to the smallest D-I school was greater than the gap from the smallest D-I school to the smallest D-VI school fielding a team (at the time, D-VI was the smallest division). The effect was basically DI was split into two divisions, and teams in basically every other division was moved down one. Didn't happen in all cases, but in alot. So most schools that were D-VI before are now D-VII.

Also, completely incorrect, Harding is still D-I.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23431&stc=1

I know participation at Boardman has declined from what I've seen and they have struggled for about 10 -12 yrs now. Mooney and Ursuline, while smaller, used to have consistently good programs and players there. Youngstown could be a tough sell for a Florida kid though. What is the selling point of living there for four years? There are alot of talented players in the Cleveland/Akron/Pittsburgh area that you could at least sell as being close to home.

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2016, 04:42 PM
Incorrect info , Yo. That chart isn't accurate as Warren Harding & Boardman are D-IIs, it shows them as AAA which is classifications for some minor sports. Football wise, enrollments are falling and have been for the last 10 years. The additional division isn't a reason for Harding dropping. Their enrollment is. ALL enrollments have been dropping as jobs disappear and people leave looking for work. The area does NOT produce the stud classes for Ohio St., Mich or Notre dame anymore. The "stars" end up at Kent St., Akron, Cincy, etc. Down shift in area talent has been ongoing. What does show up at YSU for the area is a limited number of schollies and lots of WALKONs. The number of local players who LEFT the program ( YSU) over the years is high, found they could not play here and moved on, either as students or transfers to D-II colleges. I follow the local h.s. scene I have 6 grandsons in the area as athletes. And coached for a number of years ( assist in public schools, head coach at a parochial h.s.) in Ohio.

The Yo Show
August 31st, 2016, 04:48 PM
What I'm getting at is, I don't think Pelini's focus of recruiting in the area is a bad thing. He has recruited a couple good players from PA in my opinion, that played in the WPIAL. Not saying that recruiting from Florida is bad either, but I am saying is I don't think Pelini's strategy of recruiting more in Ohio and PA (local area) is a bad one. Its an easier sell for him. Just my take though.

Clenz, and this is my opinion, but you are spot on regarding Wolford. Not that I'm trying to badmouth him, but I always felt that Wolford was able to recruit talent, just not develop it. I really feel Pelini (despite his other faults), is able to develop players (at least on the defensive side of the ball). This is based on only one year though, so it will show more this year one way or the other. I'm pretty confident in his ability to develop talent for the defense though as the defense last year was leaps and bounds ahead of the previous year. I was amazed it happened so fast.

ytownchief22
August 31st, 2016, 04:57 PM
Those florida recruits didn't work for Wolford. Don't need a bunch of them to win at this level anyway. Bo will always get a couple solid FBS transfers to fill spots.

The Yo Show
August 31st, 2016, 04:58 PM
I stand corrected, you are correct Paladin. I trusted the vindicator to provide correct information. Upon looking at OHSAA's official division listings for 2016, Harding is indeed D-II. http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/
I will trust your opinion, as I said, I don't have statistics and claims to back up my initial thoughts and assertions regarding local talent. But there does still seem to me that alot of local products go to Ohio State, Michigan or other "Big" schools. In recent years, I can think of Billy Price (Austintown Fitch to Ohio State), Matt Jones (Hubbard to WVU), Larry Scott (Hubbard to WVU), Larry's brother, Isiah Scott (Hubbard to YSU), Tyler Taafe (Hubbard to Toledo).

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2016, 05:01 PM
BTW, classifications for Divisions can be checked at the OHSAA site for football.

Look at YSU roster. Most of the Pa. recruits were Wolf's. Ditto the Florida guys. Check who is starting and backing up in the two deeps. Florida guys. Pa. Bo went after Ohio guys and the results will be soon seen. Ohio is well picked over as a major recruiting state for major programs. Sometimes Pa is too. Florida is a magnet because they have far larger numbers of football players who can play at this level. That held true for the Tressel years as well. Some of his best players were from Fla.

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2016, 05:06 PM
Sorry, chief, but as I see it, if not for those transfers, Bo would have little to show for his first two years recruiting. H.S. recruiting was awful.

Grab some popcorn and watch how it unfolds. There is a horror show on the way.

The Yo Show
August 31st, 2016, 05:07 PM
In 2015, the local area sent football players to the following schools on scholarship (not counting any walk-ons): Pittsburgh, Ohio, Kentucky, Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, WVU, Toledo, Robert Morris, Lehigh and Iowa.
Again, maybe the local area talent is down and I will trust your judgement on that, but there have to still be good athletes to recruit from. Paladin, would you say that it wouldn't be possible to find and recruit talent throughout Ohio and PA?
Also, do you coach high school football?

The Yo Show
August 31st, 2016, 05:09 PM
BTW, classifications for Divisions can be checked at the OHSAA site for football.

Look at YSU roster. Most of the Pa. recruits were Wolf's. Ditto the Florida guys. Check who is starting and backing up in the two deeps. Florida guys. Pa. Bo went after Ohio guys and the results will be soon seen. Ohio is well picked over as a major recruiting state for major programs. Sometimes Pa is too. Florida is a magnet because they have far larger numbers of football players who can play at this level. That held true for the Tressel years as well. Some of his best players were from Fla.

Yeah paladin, I did say I stand corrected, and I actually posted the link to the OHSAA site that proved me wrong. I am not afraid to admit if I was wrong. My mistake was trusting vindy's website.

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2016, 05:16 PM
Yes, former Ohio Head football coach. Ohio & Pa can be recruited, but talent will be well picked over. Folks in the area get excited when a local kid gets a "big time" offer. Check back in a few years to see how many had to transfer down because they were weak players in the majors or they drop out ( grades, legal problems, etc.) . Trouble is, the number of offers to local kids have been cut down, most are trying to play at schools too good or big for them and then transfer to YSU or another FCS school. Don't even ask about the number of Mooney/ Ursuline players who disappear after walking on or getting limited schollies. Politics make for bad relations in the area.

ytownchief22
August 31st, 2016, 06:51 PM
I get what you're saying Pally. I just think it's too early to sell short on Bo right now. Sprinkle the athletes from down south in, yes but at this level, my thinking is I'd rather have the kid who is more of a football player than just an athlete playing football. NDSU sure has won with kids like that.... The 2 commits YSU has so far for next year, the kid from SVSM and the kid from McKeesport seem like solid gets to me. Thoughts ?

penguinpower
August 31st, 2016, 08:00 PM
Wow. Duquesne has 12 FBS transfers. Mainly from Penn state and Ohio State. This may be a game

Paladin1aa
September 1st, 2016, 11:34 AM
Thats why I said this might be embarrassing early in the game. They have some athletes.

Paladin1aa
September 1st, 2016, 01:06 PM
Chief.... haven't looked at the new commits yet. They may commit elsewhere. You never know. Time for that when recruiting gets serious in Jan.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2016, 03:07 PM
I know participation at Boardman has declined from what I've seen and they have struggled for about 10 -12 yrs now. Mooney and Ursuline, while smaller, used to have consistently good programs and players there. Youngstown could be a tough sell for a Florida kid though. What is the selling point of living there for four years? There are alot of talented players in the Cleveland/Akron/Pittsburgh area that you could at least sell as being close to home.

I agree with what you say. What is the allure for a kid from Florida, California and Texas to attend Youngstown State? While a solid school academically it's reach is only so far. There's plenty of YSU type schools in those states to attend.

I personally like the area but certainly understand why it doesn't appeal to many folks outside the rustbelt.

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 03:12 PM
Thats why I said this might be embarrassing early in the game. They have some athletes.

There aren't a ton of programs that are made up of that many transfers that are good teams.

Also, on your recruiting angle and needing Florida guys, SDSU, NDSU, and UNI have been running over YSU with mostly Midwestern kids. Not sure where you see the need to go all the way down to Florida to get good players.

clenz
September 1st, 2016, 03:47 PM
Also, on your recruiting angle and needing Florida guys, SDSU, NDSU, and UNI have been running over YSU with mostly Midwestern kids. Not sure where you see the need to go all the way down to Florida to get good players.
UNI's roster has 100 players on it.
Of those 100 here is a complete list of players not from Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Illinois, Wisconsin and Missouri

1 from Arizona
4 from Florida - 1 is a transfer
1 from Georgia - is a transfer
1 from Indiana
4 from Kansas - 3 from Kansas City which as always been a pipeline city for UNI and the other is from Wichita which UNI shares a conference with and has had other players from the city
1 from New Jersey - transfer
1 from New York - transfer
1 from Texas - transfer

That's it.

100 players on the roster and 14 from outside of the "corn belt". Technically I believe Kansas and Indiana are corn belt states as well. So if we include those we are down to 9.

That's 91% of the roster from the slow, white, farm boy upper midwest region.

I may have missed one or two on NDSU's roster but they have all but 9 of their 113 roster spots filled with players from the corn belt.
SDSU has all but 17 of their 113 from the corn belt...of those 17 about 15 of them are from Arizona, Alaska and Corado

To say you don't have the talent in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland, etc... simply is a cop out for the staff that hasn't build proper connections and isn't developing players.

The population of that area of the country is significantly higher than the corn belt. The football in Ohio and Pennsylvania alone is more respected than anywhere in the upper midwest.

ytownchief22
September 1st, 2016, 04:05 PM

Boardman is back up on the rise under Ignazio as head coach. Have over 70+ on the team. Made the playoffs last year and looking for a repeat appearance again this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Gameday! Looking forward to a good battle vs the Dukes!

Lehigh'98
September 1st, 2016, 04:36 PM
Boardman is back up on the rise under Ignazio as head coach. Have over 70+ on the team. Made the playoffs last year and looking for a repeat appearance again this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Gameday! Looking forward to a good battle vs the Dukes!

Yeah, he's a good dude. Hoping they get some consistency back there. Also got a new stadium so they don't have to play at the middle school anymore.

Think Duquense makes it closer than expected tonight. 23-17 Penguins

UNIFanSince1983
September 1st, 2016, 04:47 PM
So many games so little time tonight!!

PantherRob82
September 1st, 2016, 07:19 PM
YSU finally pulling away. 17-3.

penguinpower
September 1st, 2016, 07:44 PM
The only reason why they got 3 was a stupid penalty late hit

clenz
September 1st, 2016, 07:55 PM
Quick, before its announced. Over/under what YSU tries to pass for attendance tonight

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160902/d367ed55af57a5ed9ef23f6bcff135b5.jpg

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 07:56 PM
Oh they say 14k

penguinpower
September 1st, 2016, 08:07 PM
Damn, more stupid penalties result in a score. Pelini starting on the referees. How embarrassing

- - - Updated - - -

There is probably 11k in attendance based on what I am seeing

PantherRob82
September 1st, 2016, 08:12 PM
Quick, before its announced. Over/under what YSU tries to pass for attendance tonight

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160902/d367ed55af57a5ed9ef23f6bcff135b5.jpg

Damn, more stupid penalties result in a score. Pelini starting on the referees. How embarrassing

- - - Updated - - -

Announced is probably 25000 then.

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 08:18 PM

- - - Updated - - -

That's 11k? What's the capacity of the ice castle?

clenz
September 1st, 2016, 08:35 PM
Over 20k

Remember, that side of the stadium has a big chunk of red seats right in the middle. Makes it difficult to see seats or shirts

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 08:36 PM
Over 20k

Remember, that side of the stadium has a big chunk of red seats right in the middle. Makes it difficult to see seats or shirts

That sure doesn't look half full.......

penguinpower
September 1st, 2016, 08:46 PM
Student section is very full on other side.

penguinpower
September 1st, 2016, 08:50 PM
I've been to so many games since 1990 that I can tell immediately. They announce the butts in seats at the end of the game. They state tickets distributed foe the record. Stupid

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2016, 08:58 PM
Looks like a solid crowd!

I'm really impressed by YSU's performance tonight.

ysubigred
September 1st, 2016, 09:47 PM
Looks like a solid crowd!

I'm really impressed by YSU's performance tonight.

"IF" YSU cleans up the penalties this would have been really ugly for the Dukes. Funny how YSU seems to get hommied at home by the REF's xtroublex Duquesne held #11 and or #9 for YSU on every play. Seemed YSU had a few phantom calls by the ole' zebras xeyebrowx

Bisonator
September 1st, 2016, 09:52 PM
"IF" YSU cleans up the penalties this would have been really ugly for the Dukes. Funny how YSU seems to get hommied at home by the REF's xtroublex Duquesne held #11 and or #9 for YSU on every play. Seemed YSU had a few phantom calls by the ole' zebras xeyebrowx
Might have something to do with the coach giving them **** constantly.;)

ysubigred
September 1st, 2016, 09:56 PM
That's 11k? What's the capacity of the ice castle?

What you did not see is the student side. Talked to a buddy of mine and said it was about 2/3's full about 4.5K looked to be about 8K in the home side so about 12500 butts in the seats is about right.

- - - Updated - - -

Might have something to do with the coach giving them **** constantly.;)

LOL you might be onto something there xthumbsupx

ysubigred
September 1st, 2016, 09:58 PM
Over 20k

Off the top off my head I believe it's 23,800 seats.

ValleyTalk
Commendable showing on the much smaller east stands... Best student section showing in a long time. Guessing 10-11k. Regardless, what matters is the outcome. We won and now let's see how we stack up vs. WV.

http://i.imgur.com/FlCNsJW.jpg

Thumper 76
Oh god are we starting this already? Can we wait till conference games till we bitch about refs?

With the exception of FBS games, cause that's what happens in those.

What you did not see is the student side. Talked to a buddy of mine and said it was about 2/3's full about 4.5K looked to be about 8K in the home side so about 12500 butts in the seats is about right.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL you might be on to something there xthumbsupx

I gotcha I'll trust you on it I spose :D

ysubigred
September 1st, 2016, 10:04 PM
Oh god are we starting this already? Can we wait till conference games till we bitch about refs?

With the exception of FBS games, cause that's what happens in those.

I gotcha I'll trust you on it I spose :D

No bitchin just what I've seen over the past 25 years,,, YSU seems to get some ****ed up calls out of no where at home even in the glory days before MVFC.

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 10:06 PM
No bitchin just what I've seen over the past 25 years,,, YSU seems to get some ****ed up calls out of no where at home even in the glory days before MVFC.

xlolx That happens to every time through the season. You don't happen to like the Vikings in the NFL do you?

ysubigred
September 1st, 2016, 10:08 PM
xlolx That happens to every time through the season. You don't happen to like the Vikings in the NFL do you?

No a fan but always liked the Vikings. LOL I know hat you mean xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
September 1st, 2016, 10:09 PM
No a fan but always liked the Vikings. LOL I know hat you mean xdrunkyx

Even their radio guy bitches about calls all game. xlolx it's really sad

ysubigred
September 1st, 2016, 10:12 PM
Even their radio guy bitches about calls all game. xlolx it's really sad

No different in YTOWN our radio guys were having a few "WOW" moments over some of the call tonight :D

ytownchief22
September 1st, 2016, 10:48 PM
Solid performance. Onto WVU!

underdawg
September 2nd, 2016, 06:30 AM
I've heard that they are no Duquesne

The Yo Show
September 2nd, 2016, 06:34 AM
West Virginia will be a challenge for sure. I'm thinking best scenario chances will be if WVU wins their game against Missouri, can have them overlooking YSU then. Still not great chances, but any given saturday right xnodx

Penguin Nation
September 2nd, 2016, 09:35 AM
big...Big...BIG season ahead for the Penguins.

Paladin1aa
September 2nd, 2016, 12:38 PM
YSU had a good game, but it was against one of the weaker teams on their schedule. The dual threat QB makes for a different problem for the D to face, giving YSU a better chance to win. D will also be tested soon.

Attendance looked like 10-11K, while tickets sold ( but not used) was an announced 14K.

I see some fans don't understand recruiting in Ohio. Most of you come from low population Midwest states in the MVFC where there are few or NO D-I colleges. In Ohio, after Ohio St., The B1G, Cincy, Ohio U., Kent St., Akron, Toledo, BG, Miami (O.), Pitt, WVU and other close by D-I conferences, Ohio is well picked over. Next come FCS Dayton and YSU, plus a number of D-II schools. The state is well picked over recruitingwise. Some good players remain but not that many. Good football is in Pa., Fla., Texas and Calif. and has been long time staples on YSU teams, even the glory years of Tressel. Many of you recruit your state where there is no competition for your players coming from cow fields, small towns and 8 man teams. Most D-I schools see little talent to spend much time in your states. So , if you recruit players from low population states where no one spends much time recruiting, you see nothing of the problem that we deal with. Simply put, you got your head up your butt.

YSU learns more about themselves at WVU. I don't see them winning this game.

Daved
September 2nd, 2016, 10:53 PM
YSU had a good game, but it was against one of the weaker teams on their schedule. The dual threat QB makes for a different problem for the D to face, giving YSU a better chance to win. D will also be tested soon.

Attendance looked like 10-11K, while tickets sold ( but not used) was an announced 14K.

I see some fans don't understand recruiting in Ohio. Most of you come from low population Midwest states in the MVFC where there are few or NO D-I colleges. In Ohio, after Ohio St., The B1G, Cincy, Ohio U., Kent St., Akron, Toledo, BG, Miami (O.), Pitt, WVU and other close by D-I conferences, Ohio is well picked over. Next come FCS Dayton and YSU, plus a number of D-II schools. The state is well picked over recruitingwise. Some good players remain but not that many. Good football is in Pa., Fla., Texas and Calif. and has been long time staples on YSU teams, even the glory years of Tressel. Many of you recruit your state where there is no competition for your players coming from cow fields, small towns and 8 man teams. Most D-I schools see little talent to spend much time in your states. So , if you recruit players from low population states where no one spends much time recruiting, you see nothing of the problem that we deal with. Simply put, you got your head up your butt.

YSU learns more about themselves at WVU. I don't see them winning this game.Excellent post--you hit the nail on the head.