1. Appalachian State
2. Furman
3. Wofford
4. Elon
5. Georgia Southern
6. The Citadel
7. Chattanooga
8. Western Carolina

At this point it is hard to make any real predictions but mine would be something like the one above. I might switch Elona and Georgia Southern but the top 3 would be in the order above.

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 05:27 PM
4 or 5 for GSU, eh? xcoffeex

WUTNDITWAA
December 26th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Good Lord. They havn't finished engraving Appalachian on the NC trophy and this comes out.

BULLDOG8180
December 27th, 2006, 12:37 AM
http://www.southernpigskin.com/page.cfm?story=11296&cat=exclusives

Southern Pigskin EARLY 2007 OUTLOOK

ORDER OF FINISH
1. Appalachian State
2. Furman
3. Wofford
4. Elon
5. Georgia Southern
6. The Citadel
7. Chattanooga
8. Western Carolina

At this point it is hard to make any real predictions but mine would be something like the one above. I might switch Elona and Georgia Southern but the top 3 would be in the order above.

You must have your head stuck somewhere. The Citadel will be much improved next year, tons returning.

1. Your top four play at Charleston.
2. Elon was killed by the Dogs last year at home. They get killed in Charleston this year.
3. Dogs will be 4th or better.

OL FU
December 27th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Too bad for Western that Samford isn't in yet:rolleyes:

GSU will be a lot tougher in 07, too many close loses not to significantly improve next year. My guess is the coaches have probably learned some important lessons during this horror of a season.

I think Furman's trips to Charleston and Statesboro will be very critical. ASU at home helps but that is probably the most suspect regular season home game Furman has had in a while.

If I had to pick I would probably move the Citadel to 4 and Elon down to 6, but I really think this is going to be a very wide open year.

ASU has to have the inside track but they do have Furman, Wofford, Citadel and Chattanooga on the road. That will help some.

AppGuy04
December 27th, 2006, 08:04 AM
You must have your head stuck somewhere. The Citadel will be much improved next year, tons returning.

2. Elon was killed by the Dogs last year at home. They get killed in Charleston this year.

One game does not make a season. They may beat Elon, but that doesn't mean they will finish that high

Saint3333
December 27th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Too bad for Western that Samford isn't in yet:rolleyes:

GSU will be a lot tougher in 07, too many close loses not to significantly improve next year. My guess is the coaches have probably learned some important lessons during this horror of a season.

I think Furman's trips to Charleston and Statesboro will be very critical. ASU at home helps but that is probably the most suspect regular season home game Furman has had in a while.

If I had to pick I would probably move the Citadel to 4 and Elon down to 6, but I really think this is going to be a very wide open year.

ASU has to have the inside track but they do have Furman, Wofford, Citadel and Chattanooga on the road. That will help some.

ASU gets UTC at home as we played there twice last year, hopefully you're predicting one game for us there in December.

That game at the Citadel always scares me as they always play better down there. However this year I think the game is later in the year so maybe the heat won't be as bad and they won't make us wear our (home) black unis...

OL FU
December 27th, 2006, 08:45 AM
ASU gets UTC at home as we played there twice last year, hopefully you're predicting one game for us there in December.

That game at the Citadel always scares me as they always play better down there. However this year I think the game is later in the year so maybe the heat won't be as bad and they won't make us wear our (home) black unis...

So you guys have three on the road in the SoCon for 2007?

Black and Gold Express
December 27th, 2006, 09:54 AM

And they'll get killed by ASU, again. Don't forget that. :thumbsup:

One of these days The Citadel may actually start matching all their offseason hype. Until then, they are in that same boat as Western and Chattanooga, the Masters of Unrealized Potential. They are to the SoCon what the Redskins are the to NFL. (And I am a Redskins fan, so don't go barking about that one)

Jerbearasu
December 27th, 2006, 10:32 AM
So you guys have three on the road in the SoCon for 2007?

Elon, Wofford, Furman, Citadel on the road. Chattanooga, Western, GSU at home.

GaSouthern
December 27th, 2006, 11:28 AM
everyone got free punches this year, in 2007 everyone take it easy on the eagles ;)

GoldandBlack
December 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
After the shellackings Wofford got from GSU during our early years in the SoCon,

you can bet that it will be a loooooong time before we take the Eagles lightly,

much less take it easy!:nod:

OL FU
December 27th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I do think it is worth mentioning that in Matt's (TSN) very early top ten for 2007 there are three SoCon Schools mentioned:nod: :D

smallcollegefbfan
December 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I do think it is worth mentioning that in Matt's (TSN) very early top ten for 2007 there are three SoCon Schools mentioned:nod: :D

That shows the league will be up but I doubt that actually happens. My guess is that two finish in the top 10 but 3 get in the playoffs.

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I think we'll only see 2 in the playoffs. ASU and TBA. :D

Saint3333
December 27th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I think we'll only see 2 in the playoffs. ASU and TBA. :D

I'll wait to predict until the schedules come out, but the SoCon was very young overall this year, so I won't be surprised to see three teams make the playoffs.

OL FU
December 28th, 2006, 07:27 AM
That shows the league will be up but I doubt that actually happens. My guess is that two finish in the top 10 but 3 get in the playoffs.

THe only way three get in the top ten is if they beat each other up evenly. and I don't see that happening.

AppGuy04
December 28th, 2006, 07:29 AM
I say 3 in the playoffs, ASU, FUsuck, and Woffie

OL FU
December 28th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I say 3 in the playoffs, ASU, FUsuck, and Woffie

:eyebrow: :confused: :confused: :eyebrow: :eek: :p :p :p :p :p

AppGuy04
December 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM
:eyebrow: :confused: :confused: :eyebrow: :eek: :p :p :p :p :p

Confused in your old age OL?

OL FU
December 28th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Confused in your old age OL?

No just trying to figure out why ASU is in that list:p

AppGuy04
December 28th, 2006, 07:47 AM
No just trying to figure out why ASU is in that list:p

Oh sorry, its not confusion, its delusion:thumbsup:

OL FU
December 28th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Oh sorry, its not confusion, its delusion:thumbsup:

I was paying you a compliment. ASU is in a league by itself. No way should FU ( oh sorry FUSUCK ) and WC be mentioned in the same sentence with ASU:bow:

AppGuy04
December 28th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I was paying you a compliment. ASU is in a league by itself. No way should FU ( oh sorry FUSUCK ) and WC be mentioned in the same sentence with ASU:bow:

Yes they should, they are class programs, as is the whole conference:hurray:

BULLDOG8180
December 28th, 2006, 10:39 PM
One game does not make a season. They may beat Elon, but that doesn't mean they will finish that high

Yeah, I know, however, we were 4th this year, and we have tons returning. All of our top offensive players are returning, RBs, QB, WRs and TE, plus 3 out of 5 up front. Plus lots of defensive guys.

Last year was the best we have done in the SoCon in many years. We will do better this year.

BULLDOG8180
December 28th, 2006, 10:45 PM
And they'll get killed by ASU, again. Don't forget that. :thumbsup:

One of these days The Citadel may actually start matching all their offseason hype. Until then, they are in that same boat as Western and Chattanooga, the Masters of Unrealized Potential. They are to the SoCon what the Redskins are the to NFL. (And I am a Redskins fan, so don't go barking about that one)

App St. will "kill" alot of competition this year.

Off season hype??? When has The Citadel had off-season hype?? We are coming off of our best SoCon finish in 14 years, we should look forward to next year, we have a huge nucleus returning and we will make some noise in the conference.

AppGuy04
December 29th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I know, however, we were 4th this year, and we have tons returning. All of our top offensive players are returning, RBs, QB, WRs and TE, plus 3 out of 5 up front. Plus lots of defensive guys.

Last year was the best we have done in the SoCon in many years. We will do better this year.

I understand what you are saying, but logic doesn't work in football, you know that. On paper is one thing, doing it is another. You may be a better team, but that doesn't mean your record will be better. My :twocents:

GoldandBlack
December 29th, 2006, 08:05 AM
All I know is this - '07 will be a dog fight (no pun intended) in the SoCon.

It will probably be one of the more interesting years we've seen, and I can't wait for September:beerchug: .

OL FU
December 29th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Furman, Wofford, Citadel, GSU and WCU ( how could they get any worse) will improve. Elon may I really need to take a closer look at who is returning. Chattanooga, :confused: who the heck knows?

AppGuy04
December 29th, 2006, 10:03 AM
who the heck knows?

you could say that about half of the league

OL FU
December 29th, 2006, 10:04 AM
you could say that about half of the league

but you can say it every year about Chattanooga:eek:

Eyes of Old Main
December 30th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I'd break it down this way:
Appalachian State and Furman will finish 1 and 2 and get in the playoffs.

Then comes a pack in the middle consisting of Wofford, Georgia Southern, The Citadel and Elon. Whoever finishes third out of that group will likely make the playoffs too, unless the all beat each other up and finish with similar records or slip in OOC games. My early guess is that Wofford and Georgia Southern are the best of this bunch.

That leaves Western Carolina and Chattanooga at the bottom who will probably endure seasons much like they have in the last few seasons.

But, in the finall analysis, things like injuries, luck and momentum could totally mess this up.

So I'll rank it this way:
1) Appalachian State (but they'll lose a conference game to someone)
2) Furman
3) Wofford (ranked above GSU based off recent head-to-head)
4) Georgia Southern
5) The Citadel (their better, but can't consider them above Wofford due to "the streak")
6) Elon
7) Chattanooga
8) Western Carolina (the grease fire continues in Cullowhee)

catamount man
December 31st, 2006, 02:04 PM
We will not be world beaters in 2007, but we will NOT finish in last place again. Can't wait until Spring practice starts!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

APP91
January 1st, 2007, 12:11 AM
We will not be world beaters in 2007, but we will NOT finish in last place again. Can't wait until Spring practice starts!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Hope so, But you guys say that EVERY Year!

BULLDOG8180
January 2nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
5) The Citadel (their better, but can't consider them above Wofford due to "the streak")

The "streak" will NOT help you next year.:eek:

Eyes of Old Main
January 2nd, 2007, 11:00 PM
The "streak" will NOT help you next year.:eek:

Maybe not, but it's only wishful thinking on your part until the Bulldogs do something about it.

catamount man
January 3rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
Hope so, But you guys say that EVERY Year!

We've NEVER said we'd NEVER finish in last place, although we've bragged a top 3 finish quite a lot. Re-read my post.xlolx Remember, 2006 was the first year in our SoCon history we've finished all alone in last place.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GaSouthern
January 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
I'll pick with my heart...

1.ASU
2.FU
3.GSU
4.El Cit (sleeper pick)
5.Wofford
6.Western
7.Elon
8.Chattanooga