PDA

View Full Version : Take away FCS-FBS games wil kill the sport-Jimbo Fisher, FSU

Catatonic
August 15th, 2016, 06:58 AM
http://chopchat.com/2016/08/12/fsu-football-jimbo-fisher-says-critical-play-fcs-teams/

“I’m say this about this FCS stuff and I’m make a statement. People don’t like it and fans (don’t like it). If you don’t play a FCS, how do they make their budget playing a big school? How do the division two’s make their budget? Playing a FCS, see what I’m saying? Alright, you start taking these budgets away from these lower games…where will all the high school football players going to go? Why are they going to keep playing football because all these teams going to have to drop ball and not play games. What you’re doing is you’re killing the sport…from an ego…and all of a sudden guys ain’t gonna play football no more because there ain’t enough schools out there to get scholarships. It’s not about playing FCS, it’s about the game of football and filtering it all the way down so there are scholarships in division two.

ASU33
August 15th, 2016, 08:44 AM
So how do schools who don't play FBS schools make their budgets Jimbo?

RichH2
August 15th, 2016, 08:52 AM
College football is not a money making venture for all but the very top P5 teams. In FCS, a few teams make some. For most of us the game is about managing your costs not making a profit.

UNIFanSince1983
August 15th, 2016, 09:00 AM
I think he is right to a point. Sure there are some FCS schools that can and do survive without big money paydays, but there are a lot out there that need to take paydays. Those teams aren't trying to make a profit they are just trying to keep the lights on.

Honestly, that is part of the reason G5 teams get a bigger payday than FCS teams. They need more money to keep the lights on.

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Chattanooga is a top 10 program right now and we absolutely have to play these games.

ASU33
August 15th, 2016, 09:06 AM
I think he is right to a point. Sure there are some FCS schools that can and do survive without big money paydays, but there are a lot out there that need to take paydays. Those teams aren't trying to make a profit they are just trying to keep the lights on.

Honestly, that is part of the reason G5 teams get a bigger payday than FCS teams. They need more money to keep the lights on.

True! I can definitely see this.

Yote 53
August 15th, 2016, 09:07 AM
So does Jimbo think FCS is Division 2 or is he talking about D2 scholarships too? Jimbo's version of trickle down economics for college football, FBS pay FCS who pay D2.

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2016, 09:16 AM
So does Jimbo think FCS is Division 2 or is he talking about D2 scholarships too? Jimbo's version of trickle down economics for college football, FBS pay FCS who pay D2.

I don't know how you got that. He clearly distinguishes between them.

smilo
August 15th, 2016, 09:26 AM

Southland, Big Sky, Big South. Maybe Davidson?

Cocky
August 15th, 2016, 09:36 AM
The main group wanting to end FBS v FCS are G5 schools. Limiting competition for games would increase payouts from the P5 schools.

OhioHen
August 15th, 2016, 09:39 AM
“I’m say this about this FCS stuff and I’m make a statement. People don’t like it and fans (don’t like it). If you don’t play a FCS, how do they make their budget playing a big school? How do the division two’s make their budget? Playing a FCS, see what I’m saying? Alright, you start taking these budgets away from these lower games…where will all the high school football players going to go? Why are they going to keep playing football because all these teams going to have to drop ball and not play games. What you’re doing is you’re killing the sport…from an ego…and all of a sudden guys ain’t gonna play football no more because there ain’t enough schools out there to get scholarships. It’s not about playing FCS, it’s about the game of football and filtering it all the way down so there are scholarships in division two.

If that's a direct quote, FSU needs to seriously consider requiring Jimbo to attend a remedial English class. If it's not a direct quote, the editors of the webpage need to replace the writer immediately.

AmsterBison
August 15th, 2016, 09:39 AM
The main group wanting to end FBS v FCS are G5 schools. Limiting competition for games would increase payouts from the P5 schools.

I don't think that the Big 10 was listening to P5 schools though.

The P5 are doing a number of things that could end up killing college football besides this - all in a bid to chase down every last dollar.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 15th, 2016, 09:42 AM

I don't see that at all. An entire P5 conference has said no to scheduling FCS games. That alone makes up for a decent chunk of the P5 teams. Who from the G5 have stepped up to opposed FCS games? Outside of me...xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 15th, 2016, 09:43 AM
If that's a direct quote, FSU needs to seriously consider requiring Jimbo to attend a remedial English class. If it's not a direct quote, the editors of the webpage need to replace the writer immediately.

I'm still trying to figure out the exact point he was trying to make. How the hell can he convey message to a team of a 100 players?

UNIFanSince1983
August 15th, 2016, 09:47 AM
I don't see that at all. An entire P5 conference has said no to scheduling FCS games. That alone makes up for a decent chunk of the P5 teams. Who from the G5 have stepped up to opposed FCS games? Outside of me...xlolx

I think he means that a conference like the MAC is probably ecstatic that the Big 10 is stopping FCS games. It means that the MAC has less competition for pay games from Big 10 schools.

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2016, 10:20 AM
If you can't figure out what he was saying then you are dumber than him. He rambled in a redneck dialect but it's pretty clear his point was that lower level schools need the money to survive and if they don't survive there will be less scholarships for high school players and less motivation for them to play.

Smitty
August 15th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Honestly not only does this provide football scholarships, but it provides our other sports scholarships as well. Do you really think tennis or softball brings in enough to keep the program running?

KPSUL
August 15th, 2016, 10:29 AM
If you can't figure out what he was saying then you are dumber than him. He rambled in a redneck dialect but it's pretty clear his point was that lower level schools need the money to survive and if they don't survive there will be less scholarships for high school players and less motivation for them to play.

Our very own AGS Jimbo ironically calling other posters dumb and stupid again!

Catatonic
August 15th, 2016, 10:34 AM

Pretty sure it's a direct quote. As long as FSU wins 10 or more games a year, don't look for FSU to look the other way when Jimbo is speaking.

POD Knows
August 15th, 2016, 10:43 AM
If I can interpret his gibberish correctly, he is stating that FBS needs to schedule FCS in order for FCS to make $$ on the game. He is also stating that FCS needs to schedule D2 and pay them accordingly, in order to support the programs and schollies.

I don't have the redneck translation skills of Chattymoc but I think I have this correct.

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2016, 10:54 AM

Have you not heard him speak before? That's how he talks.

Professor Chaos
August 15th, 2016, 11:00 AM
This is what I got out of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3wuSO59OdM

RootinFerDukes
August 15th, 2016, 11:08 AM
So how do schools who don't play FBS schools make their budgets Jimbo?

Student fees. Whether they're paying attention to the teams or not, the students are footing the bill one way or another.

RootinFerDukes
August 15th, 2016, 11:11 AM

Fans of any given P5 school are no more excited to play Western Kentucky then Eastern Kentucky, for example. Hell if the commentators didn't spout FCS this, FCS that all broadcast, they probably wouldn't even realize who was where. Most G5 schools aren't going to sell many more tickets than if they were playing any given FCS team in their region.

Schism55
August 15th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Have you not heard him speak before? That's how he talks.
This. Jimbo is a hick and sometimes sounds uneducated.

SU DOG
August 15th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Redneck, hick or whatever you want to call him, this former AA Samford QB and Assistant Coach(but not alumnus) is EXACTLY right. Privates, like Samford, and even other FCS schools are dependent on those money games. Granted, it may be different with a few FCS schools, but it is almost a necessity for survival for many of us. I think his message, not his delivery, is what should be considered as the important thing here. Too bad more P5 coaches don't publically state this same philosophy. I applaud Jimbo's comments.

ASU33
August 15th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Fans of any given P5 school are no more excited to play Western Kentucky then Eastern Kentucky, for example. Hell if the commentators didn't spout FCS this, FCS that all broadcast, they probably wouldn't even realize who was where. Most G5 schools aren't going to sell many more tickets than if they were playing any given FCS team in their region.

A lot of G5 schools have tricked themselves into thinking that they're some how better than FCS. There's too many Sun Belt/C-USA schools that have had to rely on the ole in-state HBCU to help their attendance numbers for them to have this attitude. In the eyes of P5 fans playing McNeese State or UL-Monroe is basically the same thing.

BEAR
August 15th, 2016, 12:12 PM
We've already seen the consequences of stipends paid to players here in Arkansas. A few Razorbacks have transferred to Arkansas State instead of UCA because they offer a large stipend. The kids are willing to sit out a year to get the money. Sigh. I didn't know about this until a Red Wolf fan pointed it out and he's pretty much on the inside of their program. Would have been nice to get some of that talent!

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2016, 12:18 PM
No one here seems to complain about the 20 teams in this subdivision who are effectively excluded from these games over the "bowl counter" criterion. Where 's that outrage?

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2016, 12:21 PM
No one here seems to complain about the 20 teams in this subdivision who are effectively excluded from these games over the "bowl counter" criterion. Where 's that outrage?

It's with the scholarships and effort they put into being a legitimate FCS program.

dgtw
August 15th, 2016, 12:27 PM
When the Big Ten stopped playing FCS games, they went to a nine game conference schedule. So there was no net gain for G5 schools. In fact, if some Big Ten schools weren't playing FCS every year ( I have no idea on this) then the G5 will actually have fewer money games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 15th, 2016, 12:29 PM

How many of those teams are anywhere close to the 63 scholarship ceiling for FCS?

smilo
August 15th, 2016, 12:38 PM
When the Big Ten stopped playing FCS games, they went to a nine game conference schedule. So there was no net gain for G5 schools. In fact, if some Big Ten schools weren't playing FCS every year ( I have no idea on this) then the G5 will actually have fewer money games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you're trying to say. Why would the Big Ten's decision have any bearing on the MAC? I can understand if you are saying B1G schools replace the money game with a MAC money game (which is one net positive as the Big Ten has reduced supply of possible opponents - yes, they have P5, but they probably need one easy one), but you go on to say if they already weren't playing FCS, that makes it worse for the MAC?

Then you have the added factor of FCS teams having fewer options and the MAC suddenly has a lot of schools that want to come in (to get beat). Two benefits for the G5. Not great for the FCS though.

Is that right?