PDA

View Full Version : If Whipple gets a BS Head Job, Does UMass lose Brown?

KAUMASS
December 26th, 2006, 02:42 PM
FYI and question for all UMass and AGS fans..With former UMass Head coach Mark Whipple(Q-backs coach for Pittsburgh Steelers)in line lurking somewhere for a BS Head Job, when he gets it, does he bring in current head coach Brown as his D-Coordinator like it was in '98? Whipple will probably end up getting a lower level team in a bigger conference, like a UConn-(Edsell will be on the hotseat next year!!) or a Kentucky or Missouri type of a school..Would Brown take it if UMass was not committed to going to BS level?? Money would be better as a D-Coordinator at a school like that then the current pay as a head man at UMass(money is not everything, but..) Thoughts, comments, concerns?....Believe me, I'm concerned...

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Really think he's going anywhere?

Umass74
December 26th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Brown denied he was interested (http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/umsports/umstory.cfm?id_no=20324) in the Boston College job.

KAUMASS
December 26th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Whipple was a finalist for the Boston College job, but didn't get it. If I was Whipple, I would want Brown as my defensive coordinator. The connections those two have, I think it is a possibility..Plus, Whipple's job job is up in the air for next year due to Cowher's indecision whether he is returning or not next year for the steelers. Look for Whipple to have a BS head job within the next year!!

KAUMASS
December 26th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I don't think Brown would be comfortable as a head man at a BC type school, although his credentials are just about there. I do see him comfortable at a school like that as a D-Coordinator/Assistant Head coach with Whipple though. Dave Clawson at Richmond interviewed for BC as well this year..BC looks for the right "catholic" fit....which is why Whipple probably didn't get it, but leads me to my point..Whipple is interviewing and will get a head job somewhere. I think his first call is to Brown. Does Brown leave? I think UMass needs to be ready if that happens..

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Losing coaches like that can do some major damage. The speculation also isn't good for recruiting.

dennisdent
December 26th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Whipple should be worried about keeping the job he holds today. The assistant coaches are the first to be blamed after the season the Steelers's are having...Whipple might be coming to Brown for a job soon...xlolx xlolx :thumbsup:

Cobblestone
December 26th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I don't think Brown would be comfortable as a head man at a BC type school, although his credentials are just about there. I do see him comfortable at a school like that as a D-Coordinator/Assistant Head coach with Whipple though. Dave Clawson at Richmond interviewed for BC as well this year..BC looks for the right "catholic" fit....which is why Whipple probably didn't get it, but leads me to my point..Whipple is interviewing and will get a head job somewhere. I think his first call is to Brown. Does Brown leave? I think UMass needs to be ready if that happens..

From what some BC fans have told me, Whipple and BC could not come to an agreement because BC wanted him to keep the two coordinators and some other assistants. Whether or not Whipple planned to bring in Brown on his staff, I don't know and I won't speculate. That's the unfortunate thing about success at the I-AA level, it's sweet when it happens but too much of it can cause the I-A head hunters to come knocking on your coaches door.