PDA

View Full Version : Official Word on 12th Game Vote, etc

FlyYtown
December 25th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Youngstown Vindicator Article--->Big Bucks thanks to Buckeyes (http://www.vindy.com/content/sports/local_regional/318258686330838.php)

First-YSU Schedule 2007
Stony Brook is a Division I-AA non-scholarship team, but will also count toward the Penguins allotment of I-AA opponents next season. Three other new faces are expected on next year's schedule, one a possible future Gateway Conference member in South Dakota State.

Another new face will be Southern Utah, which like South Dakota State, is a member of the Great West Football Conference that also includes North Dakota State, UC Davis and Cal Poly.

The final new face will be the traditional Division II opponent. This year that appears to be Lock Haven, whose head coach is former YSU assistant coach and Chaney High grad John Klacic.

Four of the first five games will all be played at Stambaugh. The Ohio State game is on the road.

Second-12th Game
Strollo also indicated that at the NCAA convention this January he expects another vote to be taken on permitting FCS teams to play a 12th game on an annual basis.

Calendar determines
allowance of 12th game

Right now these teams, including YSU, can only play 12 games when the calendar year falls just right and there is an extra Saturday between Labor Day and Thanksgiving.

That will happen in 2008, but won't happen again until 2014.

The 12th game in 2008 will allow Strollo to schedule a sixth home game, since the Penguins already will be at Ohio State, South Dakota State and Southern Utah along with the three Gateway games.

December 26th, 2006, 12:42 AM
As has been reported on CSN WAVES since October the vote will be a one school/one vote tally on 1/6/2007 at the NCAA convention.

Of course...

I-AA ceased as a label at the end of the 2006 regular season.

The label now is the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision.

The acronym is FCS.

DFW HOYA
December 26th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Stony Brook is a Division I-AA non-scholarship team, but will also count toward the Penguins allotment of I-AA opponents next season. .

Stony Brook is not a "non-scholarship" team. Their former conference (NEC) allowed up to 30 equivalent grants and, as an independent in 2007, they will be ramping up to approach 63 very soon.

FlyYtown
December 26th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Stony Brook is not a "non-scholarship" team. Their former conference (NEC) allowed up to 30 equivalent grants and, as an independent in 2007, they will be ramping up to approach 63 very soon.
Grants are not necessarily scholarships my friend..... Regardless. YSU will kill them by 45.

December 26th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Grants are not necessarily scholarships my friend..... Regardless. YSU will kill them by 45.YY, go smack over there ---------->

Stony Brook is a SCHOLARSHIP team. The NEC dropped the grants last year.

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Fly would never smack. xlolx

DFW HOYA
December 26th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Just to clear things up:

"That said, Stony Brook will not deviate from its mission to upgrade to full scholarship (63) status in I-AA, which is why it played two top-20 teams in the Atlantic-10. Next season the ambitious Seawolves will travel to Youngstown, another perennial I-AA power."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-skmarc1009,0,6654800.column?coll=ny-college-toputility

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 12:17 PM
The Seawolves? Never knew that.

LBPop
December 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
The Seawolves? Never knew that.

In 2005 I had the pleasure of visiting Stony Brook. The fans were extremely hospitable and asked the inevitable question about Georgetown, "What's a Hoya?". I did my best to explain and referred them to DFW's website for a much better explanation. Then I asked them what a Seawolf was and they had no real answer. Anybody out there know? Maybe they are named after a WWII submarine...

Anyway, they have an outstanding stadium, classy fans, and will be a tough place for the Hoyas to start out 2007. :nod: :(

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 01:28 PM
In 2005 I had the pleasure of visiting Stony Brook. The fans were extremely hospitable and asked the inevitable question about Georgetown, "What's a Hoya?". I did my best to explain and referred them to DFW's website for a much better explanation. Then I asked them what a Seawolf was and they had no real answer. Anybody out there know? Maybe they are named after a WWII submarine...

Anyway, they have an outstanding stadium, classy fans, and will be a tough place for the Hoyas to start out 2007. :nod: :(

That's funny that they didn't really have an answer.

December 26th, 2006, 01:33 PM
That's funny that they didn't really have an answer.I just called their athletic department and they had no answer either (though an intern was the only person there).

Remember this:
I-AA Diary: The Chuck Fan Index, Part One
Chuck Burton, I-AA.org columnist
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=80287
http://www.i-aa.org/stats/writers/burton/CFI1/StonyBrookwolfie.jpg
#83: Stony Brook (36.66)
Conference: NEC (but not for long)
The CFI shows: A young team with little history can rise through the CFI ranks faster than Google hits on naked pics by simply adding a new marching band and cheerleading teams (sorry, “spirit teams”). This deserves high praise.
How to improve: I don’t know if anyone has noticed this, but the Seawolves don’t appear to have a winning record against any current I-AA members. If the Seawolves start winning these games, their CFI will go up, but I fear for the programs of the teams they beat. Can you say, “we’re disbanding since we lost to Stony Brook”?
Upshot: I’m not sure how this factored into the CFI, but Wolfie, the furry Stony Brook mascot, sure looks stoned to me. Actually, I don’t think this had any impact at all, but I just like to point these things out, especially with a school with “Stony” in their title.xlolx

ngineer
December 26th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Maybe it's See Wolf as in 'see Spot'....;) :D

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Nothing like having a stoned imaginary animal as your mascot. xlolx

BEAR
December 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I think the seawolf is some kind of navy or marine nickname. I remember hearing it in the military a couple of times. Is that a military (type) school by chance? Sorry, I have no idea about it. :read: xlolx

UAalum72
December 26th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Not military, Stony Brook was founded by the SUNY system in the 1950's

The entirety of mascot info from the Stony Brook site (since there's rarely a SBU fan on any sports forum I've seen):

The Seawolf
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/ston/graphics/wolfie_pic.jpg In an effort to bring an exciting new identity with its move to the Division I level, then-Stony Brook President Dr. John H. Marburger III and Dr. Richard Laskowski announced in 1994 that beginning in the 1994-1995 academic year, the University and its athletic teams would be referred to by their new nickname, Seawolves.
The Seawolves became the fourth nickname in the history of Stony Brook and was chosen by a 32-person committee comprised of students, alumni, faculty and administrators. Seawolves was selected from a list of over 200 possible names.

What is a Seawolf?
A Seawolf is a mythical sea creature and according to the legend of the Seawolf, anyone fortunate enough to view it was subject to good luck.

Nickname History Stony Brook Nicknames
1957-60 Soundmen
1960-66 Warriors
1966-94 Patriots/Lady Patriots
1994- Seawolves

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 03:10 PM
What is a Seawolf?
A Seawolf is a mythical sea creature and according to the legend of the Seawolf, anyone fortunate enough to view it was subject to good luck.

Nickname History Stony Brook Nicknames
1957-60 Soundmen
1960-66 Warriors
1966-94 Patriots/Lady Patriots
1994- Seawolves

More original than Patriots.

December 26th, 2006, 03:20 PM
... The entirety of mascot info from the Stony Brook site...link?

rcny46
December 26th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Killer whales are sometimes referred to as "wolves of the sea." Just thought I'd throw that nerdy comment in. :D

DFW HOYA
December 26th, 2006, 03:44 PM
More original than Patriots.

But still less original than "Soundmen".

December 26th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Killer whales are sometimes referred to as "wolves of the sea." Just thought I'd throw that nerdy comment in. :Dhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Faroe_stamp_083_catfish.jpg
The Seawolf (Anarhichas lupus)
Seawolves are inhabitants of the northern seas of both hemispheres, being common on the coasts of Scandinavia and North Britain, and also in the seas around Iceland and Greenland. Two related species occur in the corresponding latitudes of the North Pacific Ocean. They typically attain a length exceeding two meters, and in the north are esteemed as food, both fresh and preserved. The oil extracted from the liver is said to be equal in quality to the best cod-liver oil. Several ships and the US Navy Seawolf class submarine are named for this fish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawolf_%28fish%29

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 04:16 PM
But still less original than "Soundmen".

Is there a team called the soundmen?

UAalum72
December 26th, 2006, 05:52 PM
link?
Sorry, I didn't think this was long enough to violate the copyright laws
http://goseawolves.cstv.com/trads/ston-trads.html

Just because a name is 'original' doesn't mean it's necessarily 'good'

December 26th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Sorry, I didn't think this was long enough to violate the copyright laws
http://goseawolves.cstv.com/trads/ston-trads.htmlNaw, just wanted to pass it on to the intern in their athletics department. I looked but obviously didn't find it. Thanks.

UAalum72
December 26th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Not according to this listing (sorted by nickname, except no 'Fighting ...')
http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Just because a name is 'original' doesn't mean it's necessarily 'good'

Could be worse.

DFW HOYA
December 26th, 2006, 08:02 PM

The post above noted that "Soundmen" was the original Stony Brook nickname. I'm sure no other college has that one.

aggie6thman
December 27th, 2006, 01:30 AM
How did Southern Utah get YSU to head out to the middle of nowhere? Are you guys going to come out to Davis?

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM
We play Southern Utah at home this year...wonder if that is a home-home series.

MplsBison
December 27th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I honestly don't understand how Stony Brook isn't in the Big East by now.

They have 22k enrollment, a medical school, and are located right next to NYC on Long Island.

They're basically the NY equivalent of Rutgers.

And yet they don't even have 63 scholarships in FCS football?

What the hell?

If they're finally getting their act together, I don't expect them to stick around in FCS too long. They're simply too big and in too big a market not to be a major FBS player.

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 07:25 PM
If they're finally getting their act together, I don't expect them to stick around in FCS too long. They're simply too big and in too big a market not to be a major FBS player.

They would but all their fans get stuck in traffic.

UAalum72
December 27th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Until May, 1986 the State University of NY Board of Trustees did not allow athletic scholarships. Buffalo had been a major university and D-I until 1977 and got the early jump back. Albany and Stony Brook had always been D-III and began the transition about 1995. All scholarship money has to be generated by the athletic dept.

SBU may have 22,000 students but fewer than 15,000 are undergraduates.

60 miles out on Long Island (twice as far as Hofstra), Stony Brook isn't really considered by City people to be part of the NYC market.

MplsBison
December 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM
SBU may have 22,000 students but fewer than 15,000 are undergraduates.

That's still not small by any means.

SB is a major research university. They're in the AAU for crying out loud.

60 miles out on Long Island (twice as far as Hofstra), Stony Brook isn't really considered by City people to be part of the NYC market.

No of course not. But they certainly have the potential to capture the entire NYC market if they get hot.