PDA

View Full Version : STATS 2016 Preseason FCS Top 25

Professor Chaos
August 8th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Poll: http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs
Story: http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160808123655436888804&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Rank School Votes Prev
1 North Dakota State (0-0) 3941 (152) NR
2 Sam Houston State (0-0) 3636 (2) NR
3 Jacksonville State (0-0) 3569 (4) NR
4 Richmond (0-0) 3418 NR
5 UNI (0-0) 3413 NR
6 Chattanooga (0-0) 2758 NR
7 Charleston Southern (0-0) 2734 NR
8 South Dakota State (0-0) 2554 NR
9 William & Mary (0-0) 2517 NR
10 Illinois State (0-0) 2303 NR
11 McNeese State (0-0) 2151 NR
12 James Madison (0-0) 2037 NR
13 Montana (0-0) 1921 NR
14 Eastern Washington (0-0) 1879 NR
15 Citadel (0-0) 1535 NR
16 Coastal Carolina (0-0) 1397 NR
17 Portland State (0-0) 1262 NR
18 Northern Arizona (0-0) 1189 NR
19 North Dakota (0-0) 977 NR
20 Western Illinois (0-0) 876 NR
21 Colgate (0-0) 767 NR
22 New Hampshire (0-0) 657 NR
23 Villanova (0-0) 652 NR
24 Towson (0-0) 428 NR
25 North Carolina A&T (0-0) 395 NR

Others: Youngstown State (393) , Fordham (385) , Harvard (294) , Eastern Kentucky (189) , Southern Utah (162) , Eastern Illinois (151) , Central Arkansas (136) , Duquesne (75) , Alcorn State (62) , Grambling State (59) , Weber State (49) , Penn (46) , Bethune-Cookman (43) , Wofford (43) , Dartmouth (37) , Western Carolina (36) , Liberty (36) , Lamar (28) , Montana State (26) , Delaware (25) , South Dakota (17) , Maine (14) , Dayton (10) , North Carolina Central (10) , Mercer (10) , Prairie View A&M (9) , UT Martin (7) , Samford (7) , South Carolina State (5) , Bryant (4) , Indiana State (3) , Kennesaw State (3) , Southeast Missouri State (2) , Tennessee State (2) , Stony Brook (2) , Southern Illinois (1) , San Diego (1) , Northwestern State (1) , Saint Francis U (1)

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 12:15 PM
How many starters did SHSU bring back?

IBleedYellow
August 8th, 2016, 12:18 PM
"Stay humble, stay hungry. We've got a long ways to go. What you did yesterday is great, but it pales in comparison to what you can do today. 2015 was dynamite; it's a new season, a new team and our goal is the same as it's always going to be and has been for a long time - be in the position to compete for the Missouri Valley Conference championship."

Coach K is first class. I'm so glad we have him leading the Bison.

BEAR
August 8th, 2016, 12:24 PM

All of them but two. Plus they have 5 star transfers from the Sooners, Alabama, Auburn, and even Chattanooga. xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
August 8th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I don't really understand SHSU ahead of JSU (and Richmond for that matter) in the preseason polls. Although different outlets are reporting them returning different amounts of starters I believe the Sam fans on this board have said they return 15 starters so they are losing a fair amount although they're bringing back more than the average team. Given how they were absolutely steamrolled by JSU last year it's quite a leap to say that what JSU lost was so significant that it completely eliminates that gap between them and Sam and then some.

I still think SHSU is top 5 material in the preseason just not top 2.

BisonTru
August 8th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Depending on who you listen to, Sam Houston returns somewhere between 12-28 starters. xdontknowx

Edit: Doing a quick little research they had 19 seniors on their roster last year, but Idk how many of them contributed and maybe they all got a medicals. xcoolx

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Depending on who you listen to, Sam Houston returns somewhere between 12-28 starters. xdontknowx

Edit: Doing a quick little research they had 19 seniors on their roster last year, but Idk how many of them contributed and maybe they all got a medicals. xcoolx

Went back and checked:

Based on the game notes from the JSU game, SHSU loses 5 starters on offense and 2 starters on defense.

On the starting lineup they lost a QB, both wideouts, 2 OL, a corner, and a linebacker.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 8th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Went back and checked:

Based on the game notes from the JSU game, SHSU loses 5 starters on offense and 2 starters on defense.

On the starting lineup they lost a QB, both wideouts, 2 OL, a corner, and a linebacker.

I believe they argue they don't lose their QB since he wasn't going to start anyway or some such crap.

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I believe they argue they don't lose their QB since he wasn't going to start anyway or some such crap.
Whatever. If they say so.

Briscoe was medicore when he played us last year.

13 of 42
130 yards
0 TD
1 pick
3 sacks

By all means let him start. xnodx

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 8th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Whatever. If they say so.

Briscoe was medicore when he played us last year.

13 of 42
130 yards
0 TD
1 pick
3 sacks

lol Yeah not saying I agree. You know how life looks like with tinted glasses.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 8th, 2016, 01:43 PM
People are sleeping on Holy Cross and Lehigh imo.

IBleedYellow
August 8th, 2016, 01:46 PM
People are sleeping on Holy Cross and Lehigh imo.

What is it that we say here?

Oh yes.

LEHIGH IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

jsualumnus
August 8th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I'm not saying we should be higher than 3rd, but SHSU ahead of us is questionable. It's a different year though, so who knows??? I think JSU is more potent this year than last, wiser than last year for sure, and is more focused to get back to the NC... It's going to be fun! I hope we play well against LSU and move up after Wk 2... The Bison will no doubt be strong, but they have a hell of a team in CSU coming to see them.

SU DOG
August 8th, 2016, 02:08 PM
OK, not just as a homer, but if Samford finishes that low, then there needs to be a high level meeting in Homewood AL. Not just that, but Dayton(picked 2nd in the PFL), tied with a Mercer team that we all know will be strong, and ahead of UT Martin and Samford? Due respect to the Flyers, but "gimme a break".

Cat-in-GA
August 8th, 2016, 02:24 PM
OK, not just as a homer, but if Samford finishes that low, then there needs to be a high level meeting in Homewood AL. Not just that, but Dayton(picked 2nd in the PFL), tied with a Mercer team that we all know will be strong, and ahead of UT Martin and Samford? Due respect to the Flyers, but "gimme a break".

The idea that 8 teams from the CAA are better than Samford and Mercer, or 6 teams are better than Wofford and Western Carolina, is laughable.

Thumper 76
August 8th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Uh oh, SoCon fans are starting to feel themselves a bit. Getting riled up!

SU DOG
August 8th, 2016, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=Thumper 76;2359837]Uh oh, SoCon fans are starting to feel themselves a bit. Getting riled up![/QUO

YEAH, and we Southerners just LOVE to hunt jackrabbits - they make really good stew.

Thumper 76
August 8th, 2016, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Thumper 76;2359837]Uh oh, SoCon fans are starting to feel themselves a bit. Getting riled up![/QUO

YEAH, and we Southerners just LOVE to hunt jackrabbits - they make really good stew.

You guys make the playoffs and come to Brookings I'm sure we'll have a nice 30mph wind ready to blow you guys home with your tails between your legs. Might even give you poor puppies a heater for your sidelines so you don't get too cold ;) xlolx

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 02:44 PM
You guys make the playoffs and come to Brookings I'm sure we'll have a nice 30mph wind ready to blow you guys home with your tails between your legs. Might even give you poor puppies a heater for your sidelines so you don't get too cold ;) xlolx
You guys are welcome down in Jacksonville. xnodx

Seriously though, I hope you guys or UNI end up on our side of the bracket this year.

Thumper 76
August 8th, 2016, 02:49 PM
You guys are welcome down in Jacksonville. xnodx

Seriously though, I hope you guys or UNI end up on our side of the bracket this year.

I would LOVE for us to be on a different side of the bracket from NDSU and Montana for once. I wholeheartedly believe the Jacks team that lost in the last two minutes at the Fargodome could have had a real shot at a Natty that year had we not been shipped to Fargo. That and I love seeing southern/eastern teams in Brookings in Nov. most of them just wilt in the cold xlolx

Sammy94
August 8th, 2016, 03:26 PM

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/56780995.jpg

Professor Chaos
August 8th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Meh, you'll find a lot of anomalies in the ORV section of the STATS poll. With 158 voters there's bound to a be a few partially loony votes in there. I don't think STATS has the resources or process to put much effort into vetting the ballots either so I'm sure there's a few mistakes they miss as well. The AGS poll caps the ORVs at #40 I believe, otherwise you might see some pretty wacky teams in that group receiving a couple votes as well and the AGS poll usually has around half the amount of voters or less than the STATS poll. In the end, Mercer and Dayton were tied for 48th in this poll so it's a pretty trivial spot regardless.

Sammy94
August 8th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Call it a 2015 post season poll if you must but with the weak schedule and the returning players Sam has, if the playoff road doesn't come thru Huntsville, this season will be a disappointment.

Bison56
August 8th, 2016, 03:43 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/56780995.jpg

Don't you remember what it was like when your team first won a big game? He is just a little excited.

Sammy94
August 8th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Don't you remember what it was like when your team first won a big game? He is just a little excited.

I know, I have mentioned it before he reminds me of the 2011 me. :D

IBleedYellow
August 9th, 2016, 09:41 AM
NDSU's second string is ranked 19th.

Not too bad! xnodxhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpbL98DUMAAz4D8.jpg:large

Daytripper
August 9th, 2016, 10:15 AM
NDSU's second string is ranked 19th.

Not too bad! xnodxhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpbL98DUMAAz4D8.jpg:large
xbowxxbowx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Meh, you'll find a lot of anomalies in the ORV section of the STATS poll. With 158 voters there's bound to a be a few partially loony votes in there. I don't think STATS has the resources or process to put much effort into vetting the ballots either so I'm sure there's a few mistakes they miss as well. The AGS poll caps the ORVs at #40 I believe, otherwise you might see some pretty wacky teams in that group receiving a couple votes as well and the AGS poll usually has around half the amount of voters or less than the STATS poll. In the end, Mercer and Dayton were tied for 48th in this poll so it's a pretty trivial spot regardless.

Agree with this for the most part but figure it would be a good place to add some clarity. I do cap it at 40. Most weeks there are only about 10 teams left out though. Those teams are included and can be seen each week in the how they fared though as they are all included there.

After the first few weeks if a voter does have something sort of head scratching...even in the 20 thru 25 spots it will be caught most of the time and inquired as to why if an argument could be made as to why then so be it.

A good deal of the voters here also post their ballots openly so you get to ask them individually "WTF?" xlolx

I think your take on it is dead on though. Worrying about a comparison in the ORV is really not worth doing..at all.

"Hey this team got two #25 votes when mine only got one!" Not worth mentioning, trust me.

One last thing. By about week 6 or 7 we usually are right at 40 teams even getting votes and a couple weeks later we are under the top 40 usually.

PantherRob82
August 9th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Does it matter? They could go 5-6 and end up in the semis. xlolx

VikingPSU
August 9th, 2016, 07:31 PM
A poll of sports information staff and local sportswriters is unreliable.

dewey
August 10th, 2016, 10:45 PM
One of the voters is Dom Izzo, WDAY TV sports anchor and Bison Media Blog poster, and he does a great job covering not only NDSU but the FCS.

Here is his poll.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/doms-preseason-poll-for-2016/

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 11th, 2016, 08:23 AM
One of the voters is Dom Izzo, WDAY TV sports anchor and Bison Media Blog poster, and he does a great job covering not only NDSU but the FCS.

Here is his poll.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/doms-preseason-poll-for-2016/

Dewey

Dom, along with Kolpack, have the best FCS coverage by far.

His poll is pretty good except EWU is way to high at #11, IMO.

UNIFanSince1983
August 11th, 2016, 09:33 AM

Well NDSU plays them this year so he needs to over inflate them a little bit ;)

Professor Chaos
August 11th, 2016, 10:44 AM
A poll of sports information staff and local sportswriters is unreliable.
It's a hell of a lot more reliable than the Coach's poll.

FWIW, the STATS poll is only media I believe. There's very good chance that someone on the sports information staff at a particular university handles the poll ballots for some of the coaches selected to vote in the Coach's poll.

dewey
August 11th, 2016, 01:23 PM

They do return a good chunk of their defense:D

Dewey

underdawg
August 11th, 2016, 01:29 PM

Illinois state is WAY over rated in this and other polls--like my Salukis were for several years after the 2007 run

Bisonator
August 11th, 2016, 01:34 PM
They do return a good chunk of their defense:D

Dewey
Not sure if that's good or bad considering their defense stinks.xlolx

Hanca
August 11th, 2016, 01:37 PM
As I have posted before, do not believe Spiders are top 4 team and will not finish that high. Two new coordinators and unknown at tailback, maybe a true freshman. Conference schedule has UR playing 3 games after opponent has bye week. Top 10 if injuries are avoided, at best.

VikingPSU
August 12th, 2016, 08:14 AM
FWIW, the STATS poll is only media I believe.
No, SIDs too. http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs But I did say the coaches poll is always the worst poll.

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2016, 09:21 AM
The idea that 8 teams from the CAA are better than Samford and Mercer, or 6 teams are better than Wofford and Western Carolina, is laughable.

I agree, the SoCo is nowhere near what it was

REALBird
August 12th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Illinois state is WAY over rated in this and other polls--like my Salukis were for several years after the 2007 run

I agree.

FUBeAR
August 12th, 2016, 10:51 AM

You're right - nowhere near what it was in 2013 when Appy and GaSou had 1 foot in FBS.

Now Chatt is a National Power.
Mercer is moving up the charts 'with a bullet' as evidenced by them almost beating Chatt in 2014 and getting it done vs. the Mocs in 2015
Samford has some of the most talented players in FCS as demonstrated by their success at the next level and a Coach honing an Offense that has flummoxed Defenses for years at all levels
Citadel has risen behind the triple option to take down an SEC program AND beat now-FBS and perennial top-FCS Team, Coastal Carolina
Western Carolina should have been in the 2015 Playoff and has as many All-SoCon Players as Chatt this season and a Coach that has raised that program from the ashes it was
Even VMI's is on the rise - giving a MAC team all they wanted for 4 quarters last year, beating Mercer, and playing a close one against Chatt
Yes - Furman and Wofford have been disappointing the past 2 seasons, but FU did beat an FBS Team last season AND, once again, gave Coastal a nail-biter - they could be the true surprise team in FCS this season.
Wofford also - now that they've settled on a QB and have a very exp'd O-Line could be back in the mix and we know what Coach Ayers has been able to do when he has a strong O-Line, a good QB, and a FB (Lorenzo Long) that can push the pile and break a long one.
ETSU will be better this year - they have a way to go, but the commitment is there now and they will be competitive in the next 3 years

So...you're right - SoCon is not even close to what it once was...way back in 2013!

SU DOG
August 12th, 2016, 11:37 AM
DITTO. Top to bottom, giving ETSU a bye as a start-up, this conference is WAY WAY underrated. Hopefully some OOC games will prove that.

JSUSoutherner
August 12th, 2016, 11:49 AM
DITTO. Top to bottom, giving ETSU a bye as a start-up, this conference is WAY WAY underrated. Hopefully some OOC games will prove that.
Like the UTC-JSU games? :D

ursus arctos horribilis
August 12th, 2016, 11:52 AM
You're right - nowhere near what it was in 2013 when Appy and GaSou had 1 foot in FBS.

Mercer is moving up the charts 'with a bullet' as evidenced by them almost beating Chatt in 2014 and getting it done vs. the Mocs in 2015
Samford has some of the most talented players in FCS as demonstrated by their success at the next level and a Coach honing an Offense that has flummoxed Defenses for years at all levels
Citadel has risen behind the triple option to take down an SEC program AND beat now-FBS and perennial top-FCS Team, Coastal Carolina
Western Carolina should have been in the 2015 Playoff and has as many All-SoCon Players as Chatt this season and a Coach that has raised that program from the ashes it was
Even VMI's is on the rise - giving a MAC team all they wanted for 4 quarters last year, beating Mercer, and playing a close one against Chatt
Yes - Furman and Wofford have been disappointing the past 2 seasons, but FU did beat an FBS Team last season AND, once again, gave Coastal a nail-biter - they could be the true surprise team in FCS this season.
Wofford also - now that they've settled on a QB and have a very exp'd O-Line could be back in the mix and we know what Coach Ayers has been able to do when he has a strong O-Line, a good QB, and a FB (Lorenzo Long) that can push the pile and break a long one.
ETSU will be better this year - they have a way to go, but the commitment is there now and they will be competitive in the next 3 years

So...you're right - SoCon is not even close to what it once was...way back in 2013!

He didn't say anything about 2013? 2013 was in no way, zero, what anyone around here would have considered a strong SoCon year.

This SoCon is getting better but if you think it's anywhere as strong as it was in the mid 90's to the mid 2000's I think you are way off base. You can bring up the positives and there are a lot of them but in comparison to others it just isn't out of the mid pack yet.

Not trying to be an ass, I like the SoCon a whole lot but man you gotta be real about this a little bit. Good, strong teams for sure but when you got three that can take out anyone in the country on AGS then it is back to where it was cuz there were almost always 3 easily recognizable great/scary teams from there.

SU DOG
August 12th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Like the UTC-JSU games? :D

Actually YES. UTC played the Gamecocks lots closer than most other teams did.

Gangtackle11
August 12th, 2016, 01:22 PM

JMU
Richmond
W&M
UNH
Villanova
Towson

Have at it. That is the consensus top 6 CAA teams.

smallcollegefbfan
August 12th, 2016, 01:48 PM

The SoCon has been interesting because it use to be the best league in I-AA and then it was them and the CAA. Back in 2013 the SoCon was down to about the 5th best league. It has improved for sure. It is probably the 4th best league behind the MVFC by far and slightly behind the CAA and Big Sky. There is some solid individual talent in the league and there will always be 3-4 really good seniors but it still isn't what it was when Marshall, App, GSU were in the league and Furman was a power. When the conference starts putting teams in the semis regularly like it use to I'll say it it back in the top 2 conferences again.

Cat-in-GA
August 12th, 2016, 02:08 PM
JMU
Richmond
W&M
UNH
Villanova
Towson

Have at it. That is the consensus top 6 CAA teams.

UTC > Richmond
The Citadel > W&M
Wofford = James Madison
WCU > New Hampshire
Samford > Villanova
Mercer > Towson
Furman > Delaware
VMI > Maine
Stony Brook > ETSU

Edit... To point out that I just went in the same order as the poll.

Gangtackle11
August 12th, 2016, 02:33 PM
UTC > Richmond
The Citadel > W&M
Wofford = James Madison
WCU > New Hampshire
Samford > Villanova
Mercer > Towson
Furman > Delaware
VMI > Maine
Stony Brook > ETSU

Interesting. If you say so. I'd like to counter argue, but I know little about many of the SoCon teams as I watch a lot of CAA football mostly. I can just rely on polls that put the CAA teams ahead in a majority of them.

Thumper 76
August 12th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Interesting. If you say so. I'd like to counter argue, but I know little about many of the SoCon teams as I watch a lot of CAA football mostly. I can just rely on polls that put the CAA teams ahead in a majority of them.

Yeah I don't know many people who will agree with his ranking here.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 12th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Yeah I don't know many people who will agree with his ranking here.

I'd say he's putting forth a pretty homer effort there. UTC is probably in the mix of the top 4 somewhere, could be anywhere reall. The rest, sorry, I think you are probably talking 7th, 8th, & 9th on the list right now.

This year could change that opinion for sure but right now it just isn't there.

Thumper 76
August 12th, 2016, 07:01 PM
I'd say he's putting forth a pretty homer effort there. UTC is probably in the mix of the top 4 somewhere, could be anywhere reall. The rest, sorry, I think you are probably talking 7th, 8th, & 9th on the list right now.

This year could change that opinion for sure but right now it just isn't there.

It's even worse for how he did his comparison. A lot of people would put Richmond over UTC.

chattownmocs
August 12th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Chattanooga has blown a lot of games they should have won over the years, but when you look at their experience, depth, and top end talent, they are on a collision course with ndsu. The rest of the SoCon likes to pump themselves up and put themselves on our level but the truth is that every single time we played a team that was a threat to our championship over th last 2 years it was a convincing performance.

Now we are the best we have been. 6 all-americans pretty much speaks for itself. Richmond and Montana and whoever else can't hang. Not this year.

centennial
August 12th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Chattanooga has blown a lot of games they should have won over the years, but when you look at their experience, depth, and top end talent, they are on a collision course with ndsu. The rest of the SoCon likes to pump themselves up and put themselves on our level but the truth is that every single time we played a team that was a threat to our championship over th last 2 years it was a convincing performance.

Now we are the best we have been. 6 all-americans pretty much speaks for itself. Richmond and Montana and whoever else can't hang. Not this year.
With NDSU? Maybe in the quarter finals. There are 3-4 teams in the MVFC that I would avoid vs playing UTC. Montana maybe, but I feel like Richmond is a much harder opponent for UTC. Like always you are overestimating UTC. Why don't you beat JSU first?

chattownmocs
August 12th, 2016, 11:45 PM
With NDSU? Maybe in the quarter finals. There are 3-4 teams in the MVFC that I would avoid vs playing UTC. Montana maybe, but I feel like Richmond is a much harder opponent for UTC. Like always you are overestimating UTC. Why don't you beat JSU first?

There is no doubt that conference opponents play up and down to each other and create tight games. We know that happens at all levels. That doesn't mean anything to me. South Dakota state, for example, can play you guys close every time and that won't change what I see and that is that we are better than them across the board. The jacksonville barb??? I mean, we let the 2nd best team in the country off the hook. They gave you guys the game in the first half. That should have been a tight game in the teens. You guys had no business scoring 37 points. Your offensive line got embarrassed. Jacksonville got pressure. They dropped the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage time and time again. They also had tight coverage. Your qb happened to be on fire and still put up mediocre stats that's how good JSUs d was when they didn't do something stupid to take themselves out of it. Unfortunately for them, that defense graduated and they will be a non-factor this year.

They gave it away in the first half. They tried to give it to us in the 2nd half and we got conservative with the ball up a td late in the 4th. We have our own demons. The truth is that jacksonville state gave you guys the game early and truthfully was the 2nd best team last year. We were third best. Not uni, and surely not richmond. Quite frankly, **** richmond. We have russ huesman now. We have the stonewall defense in place.

JSUSoutherner
August 13th, 2016, 05:32 AM
There is no doubt that conference opponents play up and down to each other and create tight games. We know that happens at all levels. That doesn't mean anything to me. South Dakota state, for example, can play you guys close every time and that won't change what I see and that is that we are better than them across the board. The jacksonville barb??? I mean, we let the 2nd best team in the country off the hook. They gave you guys the game in the first half. That should have been a tight game in the teens. You guys had no business scoring 37 points. Your offensive line got embarrassed. Jacksonville got pressure. They dropped the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage time and time again. They also had tight coverage. Your qb happened to be on fire and still put up mediocre stats that's how good JSUs d was when they didn't do something stupid to take themselves out of it. Unfortunately for them, that defense graduated and they will be a non-factor this year.

They gave it away in the first half. They tried to give it to us in the 2nd half and we got conservative with the ball up a td late in the 4th. We have our own demons. The truth is that jacksonville state gave you guys the game early and truthfully was the 2nd best team last year. We were third best. Not uni, and surely not richmond. Quite frankly, **** richmond. We have russ huesman now. We have the stonewall defense in place.
This is gold! LMAO!

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 13th, 2016, 06:39 AM

Richmond can "hang" with any FCS team this year. Win your conference first.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 13th, 2016, 06:41 AM

NDSU scored 37 points because they were very good. NDSU probably would have pounded UTC even worse.

Great post though!!.......................................... .......in fantasy land.....xlolx

ASU33
August 13th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Sam Houston in the 2-spot over the Jax State team that curb stomped them in the semis?

KPSUL
August 13th, 2016, 06:52 AM

I was at the championship game with no dog in the fight, hoping to see a good contest, but NDSU thoroughly trounced JSU.

JSUSoutherner
August 13th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Sam Houston in the 2-spot over the Max State team that curb stomped them in the semis?
Yeah, I don't get it either. But whatever. Rankings don't matter.

BisonTru
August 13th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Sam Houston in the 2-spot over the Jax State team that curb stomped them in the semis?

They return 32 starters according to Texas football. 😃

TheKingpin28
August 13th, 2016, 11:09 AM
This is gold! LMAO!

Yes, yes it was. I was trying not to laugh but I lost hard.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 13th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I don't get it either. But whatever. Rankings don't matter.

Yeah doesn't make a lot of sense. After that annihilation they should only have jumped JSU if JSU dropped football. Even then I'd favor the JSU intramural team.xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
August 13th, 2016, 11:34 AM

Eh, new season new players. I dunno if I agree with it, but one spot isn't a big deal to me. Not everyone is going to finish the same as last year.

centennial
August 13th, 2016, 02:50 PM

Hall of shame award?

Schism55
August 13th, 2016, 03:22 PM
This is gold! LMAO!

Some serious sand in his vagine huh?

chattownmocs
August 13th, 2016, 04:46 PM
51 carries 182 yards. 31 passing attempts 197 yards. That's a lot of plays and points for such average production. 7 scoring drives with that type of production. No no no. Jacksonville state gave away the game early.

FUBeAR
August 14th, 2016, 01:35 AM
He didn't say anything about 2013? 2013 was in no way, zero, what anyone around here would have considered a strong SoCon year.

This SoCon is getting better but if you think it's anywhere as strong as it was in the mid 90's to the mid 2000's I think you are way off base. You can bring up the positives and there are a lot of them but in comparison to others it just isn't out of the mid pack yet.

Not trying to be an ass, I like the SoCon a whole lot but man you gotta be real about this a little bit. Good, strong teams for sure but when you got three that can take out anyone in the country on AGS then it is back to where it was cuz there were almost always 3 easily recognizable great/scary teams from there.

You're right. Caribbeanhen didn't say anything about 2013 & 2013 was NOT a strong year for the SoCon - that was a big part of my point. When Hen responded affirmatively to a strongly positive comment about the current strength of the SoCon...

with...

...I naturally thought he was referring to the improvement of the SoCon since 2013. Maybe I misinterpreted the post. Maybe it referred to 1978, back when I became immersed in the SoCon - a point in time when Furman had never won a SoCon Championship (joined in 1936), Georgia Southern was only a club team. Marshall was awful and affectionately referred to as "The Blundering Turd" as the program was still recovering from the 1970 plane crash, Wofford was in the NAIA, and App State was a mediocre program trying to decide if they should scrap the Wishbone offense or not. Or, maybe the reference was to 1934, when most of today's current SEC had split off from the SoCon. Or, perhaps, it was 1954, the season after most of today's ACC left the SoCon.

So...my larger point is, comparing the SoCon to itself on a historical basis is misleading, unfair, and will, depending upon the year selected, most often lead to the disparaging conclusion that it's sure not what it used to be. It's not - not what it was in 1934, 1954, 1978, 1995, 2005, OR in 2013.

That said, my conclusion about the CURRENT SoCon, with no miscoloration by comparing it to its own gloried past, but instead, derived from watching many SoCon games over the past 2 years and a fair amount of other FCS games, is that, top-to-almost-bottom, the SoCon is as strong as any conference in FCS Football - with the possible exception of the MVFC. I believe that began to be demonstrated on the field last season and will continue to be shown in 2016. I strongly believe the "not out of the mid-pack yet" evaluation is, unfortunately, downwardly influenced by comparision to the SoCon of the mid-90's to the mid-2000's. That comparison is, in the context of evaluating today's SoCon's position in the FCS, essentially, meaningless - those SoCon Teams from 10 to 20 years ago just are not on anyone's schedule.

We'll see how the OOC schedule goes this year, and hopefully, the Playoff Selection Committee won't be negatively influenced by the same historical comparisons that I believe influence so many others, and will select an appropriate proportion of SoCon Teams for the Playoff Field to allow those Teams a further opportunity to demonstrate the strength of TODAY's SoCon Football.

Bison56
August 15th, 2016, 01:08 PM
51 carries 182 yards. 31 passing attempts 197 yards. That's a lot of plays and points for such average production. 7 scoring drives with that type of production. No no no. Jacksonville state gave away the game early.

Is it easier just being stupid?

LeadBolt
August 15th, 2016, 01:29 PM
UTC > Richmond
The Citadel > W&M
Wofford = James Madison
WCU > New Hampshire
Samford > Villanova
Mercer > Towson
Furman > Delaware
VMI > Maine
Stony Brook > ETSU

I'd love to see this settled on the field. My guess would be 6-3 in favor of the CAA.

UNIFanSince1983
August 15th, 2016, 01:33 PM
UTC > Richmond
The Citadel > W&M
Wofford = James Madison
WCU > New Hampshire
Samford > Villanova
Mercer > Towson
Furman > Delaware
VMI > Maine
Stony Brook > ETSU

Certainly an interesting take on it. Not sure many outside of the SoCon would agree with your assessment, but that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Sammy94
August 15th, 2016, 01:42 PM
They return 32 starters according to Texas football. ��

Many are coming back but I really think the ones that vote are trying to predict the future not really rehashing 2015, that is what the final 2015 poll is used for.

FUBeAR
August 15th, 2016, 02:06 PM
UTC > Richmond
The Citadel > W&M
Wofford = James Madison
WCU > New Hampshire
Samford > Villanova
Mercer > Towson
Furman > Delaware
VMI > Maine
Stony Brook > ETSU

Seems everyone is enjoying taking a shot at this. Here's my take:

UTC > Richmond
The Citadel > W&M
Wofford < James Madison
WCU > New Hampshire
Samford > Villanova
Mercer = Towson
Furman = Delaware
VMI > Maine
ETSU < Stony Brook

This, I believe to be a very conservative take and may underestimate the step forward Mercer will take this year, as well as the recoveries of Wofford and Furman. That said, it still comes out to 5-2-2 in favor of the SoCon.

Speaking of settling it on the Field. You know what would be VERY COOL, if the CAA and the SoCon would have an early-season OOC weekend where all 9 SoCon Teams play 9 CAA Teams - much like the ACC/Big10 Challenge (or whatever they call it) in Hoops. Maybe get ESPN2 or similar to cover it in kind of an NFL RedZone 'wraparound' format using the local feeds for video. Might attract and raise the awareness-level of a few non-hardcore FCS fans.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 15th, 2016, 02:14 PM
You're right. Caribbeanhen didn't say anything about 2013 & 2013 was NOT a strong year for the SoCon - that was a big part of my point. When Hen responded affirmatively to a strongly positive comment about the current strength of the SoCon...

with...

...I naturally thought he was referring to the improvement of the SoCon since 2013. Maybe I misinterpreted the post. Maybe it referred to 1978, back when I became immersed in the SoCon - a point in time when Furman had never won a SoCon Championship (joined in 1936), Georgia Southern was only a club team. Marshall was awful and affectionately referred to as "The Blundering Turd" as the program was still recovering from the 1970 plane crash, Wofford was in the NAIA, and App State was a mediocre program trying to decide if they should scrap the Wishbone offense or not. Or, maybe the reference was to 1934, when most of today's current SEC had split off from the SoCon. Or, perhaps, it was 1954, the season after most of today's ACC left the SoCon.

So...my larger point is, comparing the SoCon to itself on a historical basis is misleading, unfair, and will, depending upon the year selected, most often lead to the disparaging conclusion that it's sure not what it used to be. It's not - not what it was in 1934, 1954, 1978, 1995, 2005, OR in 2013.

That said, my conclusion about the CURRENT SoCon, with no miscoloration by comparing it to its own gloried past, but instead, derived from watching many SoCon games over the past 2 years and a fair amount of other FCS games, is that, top-to-almost-bottom, the SoCon is as strong as any conference in FCS Football - with the possible exception of the MVFC. I believe that began to be demonstrated on the field last season and will continue to be shown in 2016. I strongly believe the "not out of the mid-pack yet" evaluation is, unfortunately, downwardly influenced by comparision to the SoCon of the mid-90's to the mid-2000's. That comparison is, in the context of evaluating today's SoCon's position in the FCS, essentially, meaningless - those SoCon Teams from 10 to 20 years ago just are not on anyone's schedule.

We'll see how the OOC schedule goes this year, and hopefully, the Playoff Selection Committee won't be negatively influenced by the same historical comparisons that I believe influence so many others, and will select an appropriate proportion of SoCon Teams for the Playoff Field to allow those Teams a further opportunity to demonstrate the strength of TODAY's SoCon Football.

Well done with a great reply but I believe you are missing a point or it went off a bit at the end there. The SoCon is not being compared to itself in a vacuum of any sort. The SoCon is being compared to itself in the status of it's contemporaries as this is really the only way to try and assign it a strength value.

It may be the strongest conference this year, next year, or several years down the road...we just don't know that. What we do know and what we base our perceptions on is what has happened recently and like it or not...the SoCon has been a bit off and with good reason...any conference would be.

I do believe it is making strides forward.xthumbsupx

SU DOG
August 15th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I like that idea of CAA vs SoCon, and it also falls right in line with the previously discussed effort to add another game for FCS. The CAA, however, might have less to gain as I think they are perceived nationally to be the better conference. As for what I personally think - It would be very close with the games going about 50-50, but I don't claim to know too much about them. My only brag about knowledge for those teams was a few years ago when I actually picked Richmond at mid-season to win the NC, and they DID. Watching those 2 huge DEs was what got me interested in following the Spiders. Anyhow, I would really LOVE to see those matchups.

Thumper 76
August 15th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Seems everyone is enjoying taking a shot at this. Here's my take:

UTC > Richmond
The Citadel > W&M
Wofford < James Madison
WCU > New Hampshire
Samford > Villanova
Mercer = Towson
Furman = Delaware
VMI > Maine
ETSU < Stony Brook

This, I believe to be a very conservative take and may underestimate the step forward Mercer will take this year, as well as the recoveries of Wofford and Furman. That said, it still comes out to 5-2-2 in favor of the SoCon.

Speaking of settling it on the Field. You know what would be VERY COOL, if the CAA and the SoCon would have an early-season OOC weekend where all 9 SoCon Teams play 9 CAA Teams - much like the ACC/Big10 Challenge (or whatever they call it) in Hoops. Maybe get ESPN2 or similar to cover it in kind of an NFL RedZone 'wraparound' format using the local feeds for video. Might attract and raise the awareness-level of a few non-hardcore FCS fans.

I agree with the bottom half of your rankings but from an outsiders perspective I would say not that you are over estimating the SoCon teams but are underestimating the CAA teams. I think that the CAA takes at least 2/4 of the top four minimum if those match ups happen. They would all be great games though, and with the playoffs I think there's a great chance we see a couple of those games happen. Personally I would flip the WCU-UNH game and the UTC-UR games.

FUBeAR
August 15th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Personally I would flip the WCU-UNH game and the UTC-UR games.

Yeah, they are both close calls. I can see making an argument for the WCU-UNH as <, >, or = and I can see calling UTC-UR as real close, but here's the way I looked at it...

I know Chatt has A LOT coming back (even without Jacob Huesman) and they brought in a couple of solid transfers + a very strong FR signing class. If I assume Richmond has and did the same, then I have to look at last year to make the call.

They were both 4 loss Teams.
1) They were both blown out in the money games by P5 Schools (Maryland & Florida State)
2) They both had a 'bad' close loss to a non-playoff Team in their conferences (Villanova & Mercer)
3) They both lost in the Playoffs to a National Finalist (NDSU & Jax State).

Some difference can be argued in these season-ending losses for both - the Spiders were blown out by the Bison and the Mocs took the Gamecocks to OT - both on the road.

...but, even if we call those losses a 'wash,' I have to look at that 4th loss for both to make the call...

4) Chatt lost a season-opening heartbreaker to an FCS National Finalist (those same Gamecocks) while Richmond lost to a 4th-6th place CAA Team that 'backed into' and made an early 1st round exit from the Playoffs losing to a PL Team (UNH).

Mocs win by a nose: UTC > Richmond