Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks

-

Central Arkansas Bears

-

Cal Poly Mustangs

-

Bethune-Cookman Wildcats

-

As usual, #1 votes from a voter are not allowed if they are the sole #1 vote for their team.

None of the #1 votes came from a voter voting their team in the top spot.

Twentysix
August 1st, 2016, 11:35 AM
Tough to not vote NDSU #1.

F'N Hawks
August 1st, 2016, 11:37 AM
Tough to not vote NDSU #1.

Which is why 79 people did. #hottake

Not enough?

Catatonic
August 1st, 2016, 11:39 AM
Now that the poll is out, I can apologize to Montana fans for not ranking your team. I originally had Montana near the top, changed my mind and cut them from my list. My intent was to paste the Griz in lower in the rankings....but forgot to do so when I went back to complete my poll. I'll make it up to you, promise.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 11:45 AM
Now that the poll is out, I can apologize to Montana fans for not ranking your team. I originally had Montana near the top, changed my mind and cut them from my list. My intent was to paste the Griz in lower in the rankings....but forgot to do so when I went back to complete my poll. I'll make it up to you, promise.

Don't make it up, just make it right with where you feel they are next time. I bet that is what you were saying.

This brings us to a point of how we can all put these together better on our own. One great way is to start an excel sheet. You can have a list of all teams and then just slide them around as you wish real easily. Heck you can even copy the last weeks poll into it if you want to so as not to miss a team.

An excel sheet on this matter is a great tool, a very simple tool to make use of.

thebootfitter
August 1st, 2016, 11:46 AM

Not enough?
It certainly makes me curious to hear the justification for those that didn't. Do they have some knowledge that others don't? Do they have a gut feel? Is it wishful thinking? We've got a long season ahead of us at this point and a lot can happen. But at this point in the season based on what NDSU has been able to do for the past five years and with what they have coming back this year, it seems hard to justify believing that another team should be voted ahead of them. I'm all for differences of opinion. I'm just curious what the basis is behind those opinions.

Just let the Griz make it up to you. Hopefully they won't be too offended and show you soon enough where they belong anyway. ;-)

Twentysix
August 1st, 2016, 11:47 AM

Not enough?

Honestly after 5 straight national championships and the returning QB being 8-0, on top of everything else coming back, I'm a little surprised it wasn't unanimous.

I half suspect that the three other first place votes came from bison fans.

Thumper 76
August 1st, 2016, 11:51 AM

Not enough?

Nope, not for the Bison fans.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 11:52 AM
I don't even think NDSU wins the MVFC...

Twentysix
August 1st, 2016, 11:53 AM

Well I'm not sure UNI makes the playoffs... xlolx

Grizalltheway
August 1st, 2016, 11:54 AM
It certainly makes me curious to hear the justification for those that didn't. Do they have some knowledge that others don't? Do they have a gut feel? Is it wishful thinking? We've got a long season ahead of us at this point and a lot can happen. But at this point in the season based on what NDSU has been able to do for the past five years and with what they have coming back this year, it seems hard to justify believing that another team should be voted ahead of them. I'm all for differences of opinion. I'm just curious what the basis is behind those opinions.

Just let the Griz make it up to you. Hopefully they won't be too offended and show you soon enough where they belong anyway. ;-)

True. My gut feels a loss against UNI, but you can't complain about having the chance to knock off the #2 team in their house early in the season.

RootinFerDukes
August 1st, 2016, 12:00 PM
Wow #9 for the Dukes. I'm shocked. It must have been my #1 vote for us that brought us up. Is it considered a no-no to post how you voted for that week? I think I saw people doing it last year.

Gangtackle11
August 1st, 2016, 12:00 PM

Even if they didn't win the MVFC they would still be favored to win the FCS championship. IMO.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 12:09 PM
Wow #9 for the Dukes. I'm shocked. It must have been my #1 vote for us that brought us up. Is it considered a no-no to post how you voted for that week? I think I saw people doing it last year.
After the poll is out you're free to do so

Drblankstare
August 1st, 2016, 12:15 PM
I see no issue with those other teams receiving a 1st place vote. People go into the preseason poll with alot of different views on how it should be constructed.

Unanimous #1's are boring anyway. Mix it boys:D

TheRevSFA
August 1st, 2016, 12:20 PM
NDSU and UNI 1-2?

Midwest bias xnodx

Twentysix
August 1st, 2016, 12:20 PM

Your vote was probably homer purged if you were the only JMU #1 vote. You'd have to follow up with Ursus.

- - - Updated - - -

NDSU and UNI 1-2?

Midwest bias xnodx

Don't worry, we will be sure to beat the **** out of eachother so we both fall in the rankings.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 12:21 PM
Also, note to NDSU fans.

Check the UNI votes....

Then sit on it

Drblankstare
August 1st, 2016, 12:22 PM
NDSU and UNI 1-2?

Midwest bias xnodx

Lets hope it stays that way until the Bison make the trip to Cedar Falls.

grizband
August 1st, 2016, 12:24 PM
My preseason ballot:

1: North Dakota State Bison
2: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
3: Sam Houston State Bearkats
4: Northern Iowa Panthers
5: Richmond Spiders
6: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
7: Chattanooga Mocs
8: Charleston Southern Buccaneers
9: William & Mary Tribe
10: James Madison Dukes
11: McNeese State Cowboys
12: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
13: The Citadel Bulldogs
14: Montana Grizzlies
15: New Hampshire Wildcats
16: Western Illinois Leathernecks
17: Portland State Vikings
18: Youngstown State Penguins
19: Colgate Raiders
20: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
21: Illinois State Redbirds
22: Eastern Washington Eagles
23: North Carolina A&T Aggies
24: Central Arkansas Bears
25: Fordham Rams

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 12:27 PM

You do not do it until after the poll is posted up. After that it is all up to you.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 12:31 PM
ferdukes didn't vote JMU #1 either.

RabidRabbit
August 1st, 2016, 12:33 PM
NDSU and UNI 1-2?

Midwest bias xnodx

It ain't boasting if you do it. xthumbsupx

BEAR
August 1st, 2016, 12:35 PM
I see my Bears creeping toward that top 25 real soon...xthumbsupx Decent chance (notice Samford fans I said decent) to go 3-0 before playing our FBS school.

aceinthehole
August 1st, 2016, 12:44 PM
Is Coastal Carolina eligible for this poll (and the media polls)?

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2016, 12:58 PM
NDSU and UNI 1-2?

Midwest bias xnodx
Nah, I had them as 1-2 as well.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 1st, 2016, 12:59 PM
Not for this poll. I don't know about the others.

KPSUL
August 1st, 2016, 01:00 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?176057-Most-Overrated-Underrated-Teams-Of-The-AGS-Era&highlight=overrated+teams

Looks like Northern Iowa solidifies it's number one ranking in the link above:

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 01:04 PM

They are not eligible for this poll. I would assume they are eligible for the media poll because they normally leave teams in during transition.

Our rule is and has been since Texas State:

You need to EITHER be in an FCS conference and eligible for it's title, OR eligible for the FCS playoffs. This rule is based on a team being over the standards of FCS scholarships and so forth and not due to a team being sanctioned by its conference or the NCAA.

IBleedYellow
August 1st, 2016, 01:06 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?176057-Most-Overrated-Underrated-Teams-Of-The-AGS-Era&highlight=overrated+teams

Looks like Northern Iowa solidifies it's number one ranking in the link above:

I didn't want to be the one that linked this...

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 01:12 PM
I didn't want to be the one that linked this...
Yet...UNI has a 113-58 record during the AGS lifetime. Averaging a MVFC title every other year during the AGS time frame. Haven't lost an regular seasonFCS OOC game on the road since 1997. Lost just 2 home regular season OOC FCS games during that time frame. UNI has been to the quarters or deeper 7 times in the AGS era

Essentially, the only teams beating UNI are MVFC teams. I would argue that means UNI gets punished harder than others would, especially given the strength of the MVFC over the last decade.

Watch it happen this year should UNI lose to Iowa State UNI will drop to nearly out of the top 10. Should UNI lose to either EWU or Montana UNI is in real danger of falling out of the top 20 (or 25).

That means UNI spends the entire second half of the season playing "catch up", which voters don't like to do because of slot voting.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 01:15 PM
Oh...also...

In the list of "top teams of the AGS era...UNI falls at #4

grizband
August 1st, 2016, 01:18 PM
Yet...UNI has a 113-58 record during the AGS lifetime. Averaging a MVFC title every other year during the AGS time frame. Haven't lost an regular seasonFCS OOC game on the road since 1997. Lost just 2 home regular season OOC FCS games during that time frame. UNI has been to the quarters or deeper 7 times in the AGS era

Essentially, the only teams beating UNI are MVFC teams. I would argue that means UNI gets punished harder than others would, especially given the strength of the MVFC over the last decade.

Watch it happen this year should UNI lose to Iowa State UNI will drop to nearly out of the top 10. Should UNI lose to either EWU or Montana UNI is in real danger of falling out of the top 20 (or 25).

That means UNI spends the entire second half of the season playing "catch up", which voters don't like to do because of slot voting.
An 0-2 start shouldn't drop UNI from the top 25... I also don't like slot voting

PaladinFan
August 1st, 2016, 01:20 PM
Furman has two top 15 teams, Coastal (in ordinary years a top 10 team), and Michigan State in September.

Well, no one said we wouldn't have our chances to earn some recognition.

BEAR
August 1st, 2016, 01:22 PM
Furman has two top 15 teams, Coastal (in ordinary years a top 10 team), and Michigan State in September.

Well, no one said we wouldn't have our chances to earn some CASH.

FIFY

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 01:22 PM
2014 for reference

Week 5 UNI was #9 and lost by 1 toISUB on the road and dropped to 20

UNI would win 6 of their final 7 of the season, including wins over co-champions Illinois State and NDSU in back to back weeks by double digits but never climbed back above 10.

Maybe, had people not overreacted to that loss been dropped to 20 things like that list wouldn't look like they do.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 01:23 PM
An 0-2 start shouldn't drop UNI from the top 25... I also don't like slot voting

It will.

If it happens just watch it happen.

NDSU loses to Iowa they remain #1, or still keep a significant number of #1 votes....bank that as well.

Professor Chaos
August 1st, 2016, 01:24 PM
Lehigh is too high...

Mayville Bison
August 1st, 2016, 01:26 PM
First year voting, so not hiding anything here. Come at me

2: Sam Houston State Bearkats
3: Northern Iowa Panthers
4: Richmond Spiders
5: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
7: Montana Grizzlies
8: James Madison Dukes
9: Charleston Southern Buccaneers
10: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
11: Chattanooga Mocs
12: William & Mary Tribe
13: Liberty Flames
14: Portland State Vikings
15: Illinois State Redbirds
16: The Citadel Bulldogs
17: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
18: McNeese State Cowboys
19: New Hampshire Wildcats
20: Colgate Raiders
21: Eastern Illinois Panthers
22: Youngstown State Penguins
23: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
24: Fordham Rams
25: Villanova Wildcats

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 01:27 PM

Honest question - why Liberty and why that high?

I honestly wrestled over Liberty for some time but couldn't pull the trigger on them, and if I did it wasn't near that high. I'm wondering if I missed something I need to watch going forward

Professor Chaos
August 1st, 2016, 01:28 PM

xeyebrowx

Mayville Bison
August 1st, 2016, 01:32 PM
Honest question - why Liberty and why that high?

I honestly wrestled over Liberty for some time but couldn't pull the trigger on them. I'm wondering if I missed something I need to watch going forward

Probably putting too much stock into how they finished the year last year. Almost beating Chuck So at their place and then booting CCU from their seed. The Gardner Webb loss should have made me pump the brakes, but I just went with it.

KPSUL
August 1st, 2016, 01:34 PM

If you're looking for comments, of the teams/conferences I know well, I think Liberty is way too high at 13. Other than that, I think you have a pretty solid poll there.

smilo
August 1st, 2016, 01:36 PM
Hmmmm, I did not rank Cit. Look forward to being proven wrong and getting that shoved in my face, but I had Samford #2.

Personally, I'm also much more bullish on the OVC this year. Did not rank any PL teams though Colgate just missed.

TheRevSFA
August 1st, 2016, 01:38 PM
Nah, I had them as 1-2 as well.

My God man, I wasn't serious

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2016, 01:39 PM
Hmmmm, I did not rank Cit. Look forward to being proven wrong and getting that shoved in my face, but I had Samford #2.

Personally, I'm also much more bullish on the OVC this year. Did not rank any PL teams though Colgate just missed.
the ****?

TheRevSFA
August 1st, 2016, 01:39 PM
The Rev's top 25

i may have filled out the poll but never submitted. Whoops

smilo
August 1st, 2016, 01:43 PM
the ****?

2 in the conference!! Don't drop dead.

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2016, 01:46 PM
2 in the conference!! Don't drop dead.
Ok ok, I got you. I misinterpreted. My bad. We're good. xlolx

KPSUL
August 1st, 2016, 01:50 PM
IMO, the Patriot and Ivy Leagues are both getting stronger. Having two PL teams in the AGS Pre-Season top 25 reflects that, although I had Colgate quite a bit better than 20th. Moving to athletic scholarships has begun to pay off for the PL. It's tough to pick any Ivy League Team Pre-Season top 25 this year since the strongest teams from 2014 and 15, Harvard and Dartmouth, lost so much to graduation. But the overall quality of League play has improved, although a very limited OOC schedule makes it hard to establish that. I think an Ivy will end up in the 18 -25 range, Penn is my pick.

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2016, 01:54 PM
IMO, the Patriot and Ivy Leagues are both getting stronger. Having two PL teams in the AGS Pre-Season top 25 reflects that, although I had Colgate quite a bit higher than 20th. Moving to athletic scholarships has begun to pay off for the PL. It's tough to pick any Ivy League Team Pre-Season top 25 this year since the strongest teams from 2014 and 15, Harvard and Dartmouth, lost so much to graduation. But the overall quality of League play has improved, although a very limited OOC schedule makes it hard to establish that. I think an Ivy will end up in the 18 -25 range, Penn is my pick.
I wish I would have put a little more research in on the Ivy schools. I didn't realize Dartmouth and Harvard lost so much or I wouldn't have put them where I did. I just kind of shot gunned them in because OOC makes them hard to gauge. I think I wayyyyyyyyyyyyy overestimated Harvard.

grizband
August 1st, 2016, 01:55 PM
Probably putting too much stock into how they finished the year last year. Almost beating Chuck So at their place and then booting CCU from their seed. The Gardner Webb loss should have made me pump the brakes, but I just went with it.
I would use records from last year as a benchmark, but try not too factor last year's results on to much this year.

smilo
August 1st, 2016, 01:56 PM
IMO, the Patriot and Ivy Leagues are both getting stronger. Having two PL teams in the AGS Pre-Season top 25 reflects that, although I had Colgate quite a bit better than 20th. Moving to athletic scholarships has begun to pay off for the PL. It's tough to pick any Ivy League Team Pre-Season top 25 this year since the strongest teams from 2014 and 15, Harvard and Dartmouth, lost so much to graduation. But the overall quality of League play has improved, although a very limited OOC schedule makes it hard to establish that. I think an Ivy will end up in the 18 -25 range, Penn is my pick.

Penn is my pick as well! By one spot over Harvard. Sad they were not in ORV. I had suspected they'd be 36-38.

RootinFerDukes
August 1st, 2016, 02:27 PM
My Preseason Ballot:

2: Richmond Spiders
4: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
5: Sam Houston State Bearkats
6: Illinois State Redbirds
7: Charleston Southern Buccaneers
8: Chattanooga Mocs
9: Portland State Vikings
10: McNeese State Cowboys
11: The Citadel Bulldogs
12: Montana Grizzlies
13: Colgate Raiders
14: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
15: James Madison Dukes
16: William & Mary Tribe
17: Southern Utah Thunderbirds
18: Western Illinois Leathernecks
19: Fordham Rams
21: Harvard Crimson
22: New Hampshire Wildcats
23: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
24: Eastern Illinois Panthers
25: Dartmouth Big Green

McNeese72
August 1st, 2016, 03:13 PM
As usual, McNeese is way too high to start the season.

Doc

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2016, 03:35 PM
2: Northern Iowa Panthers
3: Richmond Spiders
6: Charleston Southern Buccaneers
7: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
8: McNeese State Cowboys
9: Chattanooga Mocs
10: William & Mary Tribe
11: James Madison Dukes
15: Colgate Raiders
16: Southern Utah Thunderbirds
17: Fordham Rams
18: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
19: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
20: Central Arkansas Bears
22: Harvard Crimson
23: Western Carolina Catamounts
24: Duquesne Dukes
25: Illinois State Redbirds

inb4 redbirds fans chirp at me for losing 98% of there offfense (reference clenz). I was confident with around the top 15. After that, man it was a crap shoot. I only kept Duquesne in there as they are reigning NEC and how they preformed in the playoffs last year came as a shock to hopefully not only me. Flame away.

clenz
August 1st, 2016, 03:38 PM
I had Illinois State at 25 as well. I think they are a 6 win team, but I thought they'd fair better in the OVC, NEC, etc... and have a much better record than I see them finishing with. That's why I had to go with them over Duquense for 25. That was a tough call though

mmiller_34
August 1st, 2016, 03:39 PM
3: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
4: Montana Grizzlies
5: Chattanooga Mocs
6: Richmond Spiders
7: Sam Houston State Bearkats
8: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
9: McNeese State Cowboys
10: Portland State Vikings
12: Illinois State Redbirds
14: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
15: Villanova Wildcats
17: Youngstown State Penguins
18: Towson Tigers
19: Southern Utah Thunderbirds
20: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
21: Liberty Flames
22: Western Illinois Leathernecks
23: Eastern Washington Eagles
24: Charleston Southern Buccaneers
25: Stony Brook Seawolves

mmiller_34

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/agslogo200.jpg

BEAR
August 1st, 2016, 03:52 PM
8: McNeese State Cowboys
16: Southern Utah Thunderbirds
17: Fordham Rams
18: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
19: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
20: Central Arkansas Bears
22: Harvard Crimson
23: Western Carolina Catamounts
24: Duquesne Dukes

inb4 redbirds fans chirp at me for losing 98% of there offfense (reference clenz). I was confident with around the top 15. After that, man it was a crap shoot. I only kept Duquesne in there as they are reigning NEC and how they preformed in the playoffs last year came as a shock to hopefully not only me. Flame away.

Bears at #20. I like it. UCA won 7 of its last 8 even with its two starting QBs beat up pretty bad. Just ran into a buzz saw called SHSU. I've got them close to the top 25 but not quite.

centennial
August 1st, 2016, 04:22 PM

I didn't vote for Montana on purpose. When teams make whole sale changes, they have to prove themselves again. A good showing with no drop off after the first 3 games and I'll stick them back in.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 1st, 2016, 04:24 PM

mmiller_34

No Und?

mmiller_34
August 1st, 2016, 04:25 PM
No Und?

Nope.

Twentysix
August 1st, 2016, 05:24 PM
4: Sam Houston State Bearkats

20: Southern Utah Thunderbirds
21: Central Arkansas Bears
22: Illinois State Redbirds
24: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
25: North Carolina A&T Aggies

Preseason polls... what fun

The Yo Show
August 1st, 2016, 07:18 PM
My first ballot ever. Thoughts?

6: Montana Grizzlies
8: Portland State Vikings
11: Sam Houston State Bearkats
12: Charleston Southern Buccaneers
13: Eastern Washington Eagles
14: Eastern Illinois Panthers
16: McNeese State Cowboys
17: Harvard Crimson
19: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
20: Villanova Wildcats
21: The Citadel Bulldogs
23: Illinois State Redbirds
24: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
25: Colgate Raiders

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, Ursus, dont forget to send the results to massey.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 07:21 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I would probably swap SHSU and the Griz and then also swap The Citadel and EWU.

RootinFerDukes
August 1st, 2016, 07:22 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Not hassling you, I'm just curious why you put NAU that high. They didn't make the playoff field last year I believe.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 07:23 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Rep shot sent. Nice work.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 1st, 2016, 07:26 PM
Not hassling you, I'm just curious why you put NAU that high. They didn't make the playoff field last year I believe.

NAU is probably about right for the first half of the season, we'll see if they fall off. If they don't then expect them to be conference champs. They are loaded with talent not the least of which is an amazing QB that is gonna be a Soph.

I think they are undervalued by many.

The Yo Show
August 1st, 2016, 08:10 PM

I tried to base the results off what I felt the potential for this year is. I could be wrong.

caribbeanhen
August 1st, 2016, 08:41 PM
I have only 1 problem with the otherwise excellent poll.... Delaware could take out # 40 Bethune Cookman....

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2016, 08:47 PM
Time will tell how good or bad this is....

4: Chattanooga Mocs
5: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
6: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
8: Sam Houston State Bearkats
11: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
12: The Citadel Bulldogs
13: William & Mary Tribe
14: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
16: Portland State Vikings
17: Illinois State Redbirds
18: Pennsylvania Quakers
19: Towson Tigers
20: Eastern Washington Eagles
21: Western Carolina Catamounts
23: McNeese State Cowboys
24: Villanova Wildcats
25: Harvard Crimson

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2016, 08:50 PM

PL has 4 teams that could end up ranked during the course of the season. I'm a little surprised Lehigh and/or Holy Cross did not make the Top 40. I'm not convinced Fordham's the second best team in the league this year...

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2016, 09:05 PM

A disturbance in the force... :D

BisonTru
August 1st, 2016, 09:08 PM

What's the rationale on SFA ending that high?

BEAR
August 1st, 2016, 09:19 PM

Yeah. I gotta know that. They may be the darkhorse of the SLC but #11? in the nation? I dont even see McNeese that high and the Cowboys went undefeated last year. Did SFA get an infusion of talent?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2016, 09:29 PM
Yeah. I gotta know that. They may be the darkhorse of the SLC but #11? in the nation? I dont even see McNeese that high and the Cowboys went undefeated last year. Did SFA get an infusion of talent?

At least one team is going to step up from nowhere ala Portland State last year. I think SFA could very easily be that team...

TheRevSFA
August 1st, 2016, 09:41 PM

Bribery

BisonFan02
August 1st, 2016, 09:53 PM
Nope, not for the Bison fans.

Sweep the leg.....

http://i.imgur.com/xNx23rG.gif

BisonFan02
August 1st, 2016, 09:58 PM
8: Illinois State Redbirds
10: The Citadel Bulldogs
11: William & Mary Tribe
12: James Madison Dukes
13: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
14: Montana Grizzlies
15: McNeese State Cowboys
16: Western Illinois Leathernecks
17: Villanova Wildcats
18: Youngstown State Penguins
19: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
20: Towson Tigers
21: Portland State Vikings
24: Eastern Washington Eagles

chattownmocs
August 2nd, 2016, 06:15 AM
How many starters does jacksonville state have again? 3 or 4 on defense? The player that they are hyping, jackson, wasnt even first team ovc last year. Massive leap of logic to say they can be a top 10 team.

They have a nice qb-WR combo and a good oline. How everyone has penciled in as a juggernaut is mind boggling. They aren't very talented. Jackson benefitted from the rest of that defense. He's good but he's no all american. Mccandless is solid. He's not spectacular. They've got nobody else defensively. I could see their Offense being almost as good as last year but their defense is going to struggle.

JSUSoutherner
August 2nd, 2016, 06:23 AM
How many starters does jacksonville state have again? 3 or 4 on defense? The player that they are hyping, jackson, wasnt even first team ovc last year. Massive leap of logic to say they can be a top 10 team.

They have a nice qb-WR combo and a good oline. How everyone has penciled in as a juggernaut is mind boggling. They aren't very talented. Jackson benefitted from the rest of that defense. He's good but he's no all american. Mccandless is solid. He's not spectacular. They've got nobody else defensively. I could see their Offense being almost as good as last year but their defense is going to struggle.
Yup. We're going to blow chunks.

We have no talent at all.

See you you in the playoffs. xthumbsupx

UIWWildthing
August 2nd, 2016, 06:57 AM
#24! That's a playoff spot right? RIGHT?

Professor Chaos
August 2nd, 2016, 07:26 AM
Only if you're in the OVC (or in the MEAC before last year). :p

Gangtackle11
August 2nd, 2016, 07:33 AM

Not after you factor in the Automatic Qualifier for the PFL & NEC.

JSUSoutherner
August 2nd, 2016, 07:34 AM
Only if you're in the OVC (or in the MEAC before last year). :p
I thought it was only if you were a 6-5 MVFC team? :D

Professor Chaos
August 2nd, 2016, 07:34 AM
I thought it was only if you were a 6-5 MVFC team? :D
Then you're ranked higher than #24. :D

Milktruck74
August 2nd, 2016, 07:37 AM
Like Boxing, you are the Champ until someone takes the belt.

ST_Lawson
August 2nd, 2016, 08:24 AM

After last year, I wouldn't count anything out.

MTfan4life
August 3rd, 2016, 05:34 AM
7: The Citadel Bulldogs
8: William & Mary Tribe
9: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
10: Chattanooga Mocs
11: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
12: McNeese State Cowboys
13: Portland State Vikings
14: Illinois State Redbirds
15: Western Illinois Leathernecks
16: Towson Tigers
17: Colgate Raiders
18: James Madison Dukes
19: Montana Grizzlies
21: Wofford Terriers
23: North Carolina A&T Aggies
25: Samford Bulldogs

clenz
August 3rd, 2016, 07:10 AM
I had 24 of the 25...only one I had that wasn't in the poll is a team that I think I've maybe voted for once before, ever. It's from a conference that, until last year I said I would never rank. I'm willing to be told I was wrong with them. I'm okay with that. That team is Harvard.

I did a quick look to see how far off I was vs the final preseason poll results.
I was within 2 spots on 17 of the 25
I was "right on" with 5 of the 25
I was only off by 5 or more spots with 3 of them
Only one team I would consider "one of us is very wrong" as I was 13 spot different

-

-

-

11: McNeese State Cowboys

13: Montana Grizzlies

14: North Dakota Fighting Hawks

15: Western Illinois Leathernecks

16: New Hampshire Wildcats

17: Eastern Washington Eagles

18: Colgate Raiders

19: Youngstown State Penguins

21: Harvard Crimson

22: Villanova Wildcats
-

23: Fordham Rams

24: Towson Tigers
-

Fordham
August 3rd, 2016, 08:19 AM

mmiller_34

Why Lehigh top 15 but no Colgate? Just curious

POD Knows
August 3rd, 2016, 09:19 AM
12: Western Illinois Leathernecks
13: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
14: James Madison Dukes
15: Southern Utah Thunderbirds
16: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
17: McNeese State Cowboys
18: Montana Grizzlies
19: The Citadel Bulldogs
20: Liberty Flames
21: Colgate Raiders
23: Youngstown State Penguins

For what it is worth.

caribbeanhen
August 3rd, 2016, 11:12 AM
you guys better learn how to spell Delawhere again, they will be knocking on the poll door in no time.... just wait now, Hen fans for the most part are not even aware of this yet....

Grizalltheway
August 3rd, 2016, 11:15 AM

For what it is worth.

Not much. xcoffeex

BEAR
August 3rd, 2016, 11:28 AM

For what it is worth.

I like it.
Sam should be a top 10 team.
McNeese is kind of a question with all the changes.
UCA is stronger than most think but full of freshman. So who knows.
SFA should be close to the top 25. Lots of experience and a pretty good QB.

POD Knows
August 3rd, 2016, 11:44 AM
Not much. xcoffeex

I had to move UND ahead of the Griz, the weighlifting, the huge chip on their shoulders, Bubba, new helmets/****ty logo, freaking wet dream schedule, all of the stars are in alignment for this program.

BisonTru
August 3rd, 2016, 11:49 AM
Somebody sell me on the BearKats. They lose an average to maybe even above average from last year. They were exposed in Jacksonville last year. What is so impressive that virtually everyone has them in their top 5?

POD Knows
August 3rd, 2016, 11:50 AM
Somebody sell me on the BearKats. They lose an average to maybe even above average from last year. They were exposed in Jacksonville last year. What is so impressive that virtually everyone has them in their top 5?

Schedule?

BisonTru
August 3rd, 2016, 11:52 AM
Schedule?

Good point, I forgot weak schedule is somehow a huge positive. I better have Dayton in my top 5 next poll. xcoolx

BEAR
August 3rd, 2016, 12:26 PM

Last year they were HORRIBLE on defense but their offense helped them in a down year in the conference. They simply outscored teams and had just enough defense to hold off decent teams or teams that were afraid to throw it down the field or were just too beat up. (yes, i'm looking at my team). This year they get McNeese and UCA as their last 2 of 3 games in the year which is typically when those teams are beat up. They are conference favorite again. SLU thinks they have a chance to run the conference also. When the SLC finishes beating up on itself maybe a stronger contender will emerge from the conference. Though I will give Sam props for doing so well the past few years.

dewey
August 3rd, 2016, 12:38 PM

According to this article the Bearkats return 16 starters from a national semifinal team and have a weak schedule.
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/article_297f4bc2-5403-11e6-a648-6fd24f62ab76.html

Link to their schedule.

Sat, Sept 3

vs
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=183128 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2824/ok-panhandle-st-aggies)
OK Panhandle St (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2824/ok-panhandle-st-aggies)

7:00 PM ET http://a.espncdn.com/i/scoreboard/espn_360_logo_55x14.gif (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/gameId/400872525/league/NCAAF)http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=i/watch_espn/watchespn_310x108_2.png?w=55&h=19&transparent=true (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/?channel=espn&launchPlayer=true)
Buy on StubHub (http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-football-tickets?gcid=C12289x461&keyword=ESPN+Sam+Houston+State+Bearkats+20160903)

Sat, Sept 17

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2320.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2320/lamar-cardinals)
Lamar (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2320/lamar-cardinals)

8:00 PM ET http://a.espncdn.com/i/scoreboard/espn_360_logo_55x14.gif (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/gameId/400872494/league/NCAAF)http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=i/watch_espn/watchespn_310x108_2.png?w=55&h=19&transparent=true (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/?channel=espn&launchPlayer=true)
Buy on StubHub (http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-football-tickets?gcid=C12289x461&keyword=ESPN+Lamar+Cardinals+20160917)

Sat, Sept 24

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2277.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2277/houston-baptist-huskies)
Houston Baptist (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2277/houston-baptist-huskies)

8:00 PM ET
Buy on StubHub (http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-football-tickets?gcid=C12289x461&keyword=ESPN+Houston+Baptist+Huskies+20160924)

Sat, Oct 1

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2617.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2617/stephen-f-austin-lumberjacks)
SF Austin (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2617/stephen-f-austin-lumberjacks)*

4:00 PM ET http://a.espncdn.com/i/scoreboard/espn_360_logo_55x14.gif (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/gameId/400872518/league/NCAAF)http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=i/watch_espn/watchespn_310x108_2.png?w=55&h=19&transparent=true (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/?channel=espn&launchPlayer=true)
34 available from $45 (http://www.stubhub.com/stephen-f-austin-lumberjacks-football-tickets-stephen-f--austin-vs-sam-houston-state-10-1-2016/event/9579169/?gcid=C12289x461&keyword=ESPN+Sam+Houston+State+Bearkats+20161001)

Sat, Oct 8

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2916.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2916/incarnate-word-cardinals)
Incarnate Word (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2916/incarnate-word-cardinals)

7:00 PM ET
Buy on StubHub (http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-football-tickets?gcid=C12289x461&keyword=ESPN+Incarnate+Word+Cardinals+20161008)

Sat, Oct 15

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2000.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2000/abilene-christian-wildcats)
Abil Christian (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2000/abilene-christian-wildcats)

TBD
Buy on StubHub (http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-football-tickets?gcid=C12289x461&keyword=ESPN+Sam+Houston+State+Bearkats+20161015)

Sat, Oct 22

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2447.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2447/nicholls-state-colonels)
Nicholls State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2447/nicholls-state-colonels)

4:00 PM ET
Buy on StubHub (http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-football-tickets?gcid=C12289x461&keyword=ESPN+Nicholls+State+Colonels+20161022)

Sat, Oct 29

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2640.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2640/texas-southern-tigers)
Texas Southern (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2640/texas-southern-tigers)

TBD
Buy on StubHub (http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-football-tickets?gcid=C12289x461&keyword=ESPN+Sam+Houston+State+Bearkats+20161029)

Sat, Nov 5

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2377.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2377/mcneese-state-cowboys)
McNeese State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2377/mcneese-state-cowboys)

TBD
Buy on StubHub (http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-football-tickets?gcid=C12289x461&keyword=ESPN+Sam+Houston+State+Bearkats+20161105)

Sat, Nov 12

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2466.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2466/northwestern-state-demons)
Northwestern St (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2466/northwestern-state-demons)

7:00 PM ET
Buy on StubHub (http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-football-tickets?gcid=C12289x461&keyword=ESPN+Northwestern+State+Demons+20161112)

Sat, Nov 19

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2110.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2110/central-arkansas-bears)
Cent Arkansas (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2110/central-arkansas-bears)

TBD
Buy on StubHub (http://www.stubhub.com/ncaa-football-tickets?gcid=C12289x461&keyword=ESPN+Sam+Houston+State+Bearkats+20161119)

They could end up undefeated but yet not a top 2-3 seed similar to what McNeese State was last year due to the weak schedule.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
August 3rd, 2016, 12:41 PM
Well, somehow they always seem to make the national semis, even in the year they lose to a D2 and fall completely out of the top 25 for a few weeks. Keeler has proven himself numerous times to be a fantastic FCS coach and he's entering year 3 so he'll have mostly all "his guys". They do return a good portion of their defense and enough difference makers on offense at QB and WR to still be very formidable. I had them at #5. I still couldn't justify putting them over JSU given how last season ended even with all JSU lost.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 3rd, 2016, 12:41 PM
Why is UNI #2 and JSU is behind them?

Makes no sense and Montana is too high by about 8 spots

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2016, 12:46 PM
Why is UNI #2 and JSU is behind them?

Makes no sense and Montana is too high by about 8 spots

Agree on Montana. UNI was probably slightly better than JSU last season at the end even if JSU made the chipper. They look to be better this year than they were last year (UNI) and JSU has lost some ground by all appearances from last season at least for the first 1/2 of the season.

That's just my simple rationale on it.

Grizalltheway
August 3rd, 2016, 12:48 PM
I had to move UND ahead of the Griz, the weighlifting, the huge chip on their shoulders, Bubba, new helmets/****ty logo, freaking wet dream schedule, all of the stars are in alignment for this program.

What does a team's schedule have to do with how good you think they are? Honest question.

RootinFerDukes
August 3rd, 2016, 12:50 PM
Speaking of Strength of Schedule, is there a go to resource for a particular team's SOS rating as the season moves along? I will definitely need that to help mold my ranking. I can't vote a 9-2 team highly if it's a schedule filled with cupcakes.

centennial
August 3rd, 2016, 12:53 PM
you guys better learn how to spell Delawhere again, they will be knocking on the poll door in no time.... just wait now, Hen fans for the most part are not even aware of this yet....

I like reading fiction. Solid story.

Nickels
August 3rd, 2016, 12:55 PM
Last year they were HORRIBLE on defense but their offense helped them in a down year in the conference. They simply outscored teams and had just enough defense to hold off decent teams or teams that were afraid to throw it down the field or were just too beat up. (yes, i'm looking at my team). This year they get McNeese and UCA as their last 2 of 3 games in the year which is typically when those teams are beat up. They are conference favorite again. SLU thinks they have a chance to run the conference also. When the SLC finishes beating up on itself maybe a stronger contender will emerge from the conference. Though I will give Sam props for doing so well the past few years.
I agree with most of this but I will add that we had some key injuries on D last year. We also added some great players to needed positions. We will not only have a strong group of starters but great depth too. This is the most excited I've been about our D since I started following the program. I honestly think this is our year but I understand if others have reservations.

Professor Chaos
August 3rd, 2016, 12:55 PM
Speaking of Strength of Schedule, is there a go to resource for a particular team's SOS rating as the season moves along? I will definitely need that to help mold my ranking. I can't vote a 9-2 team highly if it's a schedule filled with cupcakes.
Massey (http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2016&sub=11605) is the best resource for strength of schedule IMO. Sagarin (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/) is good too but you have to sift through the FBS teams.

BisonTru
August 3rd, 2016, 01:00 PM
According to this article the Bearkats return 16 starters from a national semifinal team and have a weak schedule.
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/article_297f4bc2-5403-11e6-a648-6fd24f62ab76.html

Dewey

We lost 2 on OL, 2 WR, and a part time starting QB on offense. So that is 5 on the off.

1 on the DL, 1 LB, and both corners so 4 on def.

The thing about our offense is that many guys play when you avg 100 snaps a game. I think Sam had 9 or 10 OL that started games last year. It's not every year you lose an all conference player at QB and feel like you have an upgrade at that position. Losing WR Ladarius Brown and Gerald Thomas will hurt on the outside but we return Yedi Louis and Davion Davis on the inside.

Losing both corners may hurt but they are being replaced by redshirt freshman Jalen Campbell who committed as a sophomore in HS to Texas and recruited hard by Oregon and TCU. http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/08/three-star_cb_jalen_campbell_a.html .
Jermaine Roberts a Texas transfer. http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/2/1/10887032/jermaine-roberts-texas-longhorns-transfer will start at the other CB spot.
The DL loss will be helped by Marcus Loud, a projected starter for Mizzou this season. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/mizzou-dismisses-starting-de-marcus-loud/article_9f708610-857b-57d2-8f8d-85dd665a8560.html

The above quote has them losing 9. Keeper I think had them at 9.7. So around 13 returning starters. I'm not sure why the descrepancy, but Texas Football (some football magazine in Texas) had them returning 18.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2016, 01:00 PM
What does a team's schedule have to do with how good you think they are? Honest question.

We sort of had this the other day but I'll take a stab at it from what I see. Let's say you have two teams that are exactly the same. Every time thy played each other they would tie.

Now those two teams go play their schedules. One has it easy, one has it hard. One team goes 6-5 (hard schedule) and the other goes 9-2 (easy schedule). So which team is higher in the rankings? Which team would you bet on making the playoffs?

Now we know those teams are exactly even but even to a discriminating eye...the easier schedule team is gonna get the breaks. It's just a fact. So if you are "betting on" an outcome which is basically what we are doing with our individual ballots here....

Philosophies vary as is mentioned all the time so that's how I sees it.

POD Knows
August 3rd, 2016, 01:12 PM
Good point, I forgot weak schedule is somehow a huge positive. I better have Dayton in my top 5 next poll. xcoolx

I get it, but if they go undefeated, they will be top 5, it probably isn't fair but it is what it is given their history.

Nickels
August 3rd, 2016, 01:22 PM
The above quote has them losing 9. Keeper I think had them at 9.7. So around 13 returning starters. I'm not sure why the descrepancy, but Texas Football (some football magazine in Texas) had them returning 18.
Depends on how you look at it. The depth chart changed throughout the year due to injuries, ect. Some positions we lost the playoff starter but they were only the starter due the beginning of the year starter getting injured early. We also didn't/don't have a true starter in many posistions as we constantly rotate.

Oh and it isn't some football magazine in Texas, it's the football magazine in Texas.

ST_Lawson
August 3rd, 2016, 01:42 PM
Massey (http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2016&sub=11605) is the best resource for strength of schedule IMO. Sagarin (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/) is good too but you have to sift through the FBS teams.

Massey is what I use usually. You can sort the columns by rank also. SoS is the strength of schedule up to that point in the season based on only who the teams have played (that's why everyone is at 0 right now). SSF is the estimated strength of schedule based on future games.

It can be useful in situations where...say...just hypothetically...you've got one slot left in the playoffs and on one hand, a 6-5 team that had the #1 toughest FCS schedule in the country, and on the other hand, a 7-4 team that had...say, for example, the #32 toughest schedule. Do you reward the one that has a slightly better record despite the easier schedule? Or do you reward the one with a slightly worse record but a very difficult schedule?

I know who I'd probably go with, but everyone's got their opinions on (purely hypothetical) situations like that.

RootinFerDukes
August 3rd, 2016, 01:51 PM
I'm trying to understand the Massey rating chart and I don't seem to see an index. You've got an overall rating but then a power rating, what's the difference? It looks like offense and defense national rankings. HFA? SSF = strength of schedule future. EW and EL = estimated wins and losses?

UNIFanSince1983
August 3rd, 2016, 01:57 PM
Massey is what I use usually. You can sort the columns by rank also. SoS is the strength of schedule up to that point in the season based on only who the teams have played (that's why everyone is at 0 right now). SSF is the estimated strength of schedule based on future games.

It can be useful in situations where...say...just hypothetically...you've got one slot left in the playoffs and on one hand, a 6-5 team that had the #1 toughest FCS schedule in the country, and on the other hand, a 7-4 team that had...say, for example, the #32 toughest schedule. Do you reward the one that has a slightly better record despite the easier schedule? Or do you reward the one with a slightly worse record but a very difficult schedule?

I know who I'd probably go with, but everyone's got their opinions on (purely hypothetical) situations like that.

Yeah sounds quite hypothetical ;)

ST_Lawson
August 3rd, 2016, 02:00 PM
I'm trying to understand the Massey rating chart and I don't seem to see an index. You've got an overall rating but then a power rating, what's the difference? It looks like offense and defense national rankings. HFA? SSF = strength of schedule future. EW and EL = estimated wins and losses?

This explains it a little more in-depth: http://www.masseyratings.com/theory/massey.htm

caribbeanhen
August 3rd, 2016, 02:00 PM
I like reading fiction. Solid story.

solid story solidified by a very solid Defense....a sleeper rises up every year and this year Delaware is the obvious (well not so obvious to most) sleeper pick

Grizalltheway
August 3rd, 2016, 02:08 PM
We sort of had this the other day but I'll take a stab at it from what I see. Let's say you have two teams that are exactly the same. Every time thy played each other they would tie.

Now those two teams go play their schedules. One has it easy, one has it hard. One team goes 6-5 (hard schedule) and the other goes 9-2 (easy schedule). So which team is higher in the rankings? Which team would you bet on making the playoffs?

Now we know those teams are exactly even but even to a discriminating eye...the easier schedule team is gonna get the breaks. It's just a fact. So if you are "betting on" an outcome which is basically what we are doing with our individual ballots here....

Philosophies vary as is mentioned all the time so that's how I sees it.

I guess I look at a preseason poll as how good people think teams are in absolute terms. But of course as the season goes on SOS should very much be taken into account.

RootinFerDukes
August 3rd, 2016, 02:11 PM
so just to understand it better, the HFA home field advantage stat is more a gauge of how well a team does at home more so than on the road? There's no way we're middle of the pack HFA. I will admit we lose in bridgeforth far more than we should though.

Bisonator
August 3rd, 2016, 02:15 PM

Did you mean Deliwear?xthumbsupx

https://www.facebook.com/deliwear.fitness/

caribbeanhen
August 3rd, 2016, 02:37 PM

any way you spell it, they will be back in the playoffs this year...

ST_Lawson
August 3rd, 2016, 02:39 PM

Deli wear?....like this?
http://imgur.com/a/CtKOh

PantherRob82
August 3rd, 2016, 02:44 PM
For me it doesn't matter, I start voting almost from scratch after week 1. Only thing to figure out from there is if I want to keep the Ivies in.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 3rd, 2016, 02:56 PM
For me it doesn't matter, I start voting almost from scratch after week 1. Only thing to figure out from there is if I want to keep the Ivies in.

I'm going to have trouble voting for the Ivies.

Professor Chaos
August 3rd, 2016, 03:16 PM
any way you spell it, they will be back in the playoffs this year...
http://40.media.tumblr.com/a9a43d5c3eebfeae233a15ae239073fa/tumblr_nhmcmsWP0t1ri2s2uo1_1280.jpg

centennial
August 3rd, 2016, 04:08 PM
solid story solidified by a very solid Defense....a sleeper rises up every year and this year Delaware is the obvious (well not so obvious to most) sleeper pick
Did you imply a transfer QB or some hot shot rfr? It memory serves me right that is a big problem for Delaware.

UNDColorado
August 3rd, 2016, 04:41 PM

So how did that epic playoff run go?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2016, 05:12 PM
I guess I look at a preseason poll as how good people think teams are in absolute terms. But of course as the season goes on SOS should very much be taken into account.

Well in my explanation it sort of is that if you are trying to figure out "how will this all look at the end?" because that is as close to telling what each team is as far as strength.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 3rd, 2016, 05:32 PM

Pretty good. Better than UND would have done IMO.

caribbeanhen
August 3rd, 2016, 06:21 PM
Did you imply a transfer QB or some hot shot rfr? It memory serves me right that is a big problem for Delaware.

No transfer QB, but something special is brewing up on the Defensive side of the ball, the head coach is going with the same QB as last year.... admittedly, it all comes down to him but no way he can do any worse than last year. Brock is actually the QB coach, he took that project on himself this spring.... I think it will reap some benifits

Gangtackle11
August 3rd, 2016, 06:59 PM
No transfer QB, but something special is brewing up on the Defensive side of the ball, the head coach is going with the same QB as last year.... admittedly, it all comes down to him but no way he can do any worse than last year. Brock is actually the QB coach, he took that project on himself this spring.... I think it will reap some benifits

I think Delaware has a real good chance to surprise to the upside. Most of the Blue Hen faithful are looking for a dumpster fire & Brock to be gone, but I thought the Blue Hens were physically impressive last season @ Villanova. A year of seasoning & the addition of Penn State starting LB Troy Reeder & his promising frosh brother Colby makes this already physical defense that much more.

I expect the Battle of the Blue in Newark this season to be a very low scoring affair. 1st to 2 TDs may win it.

SFA 93
August 3rd, 2016, 07:50 PM
Go Leigh going for the long shot in the SFA Lumberjacks.

Here is to the Jacks making you look good in that prediction.

09/03/16 at Texas Tech 7:00 P.M. (FoxSports)
09/10/16 West Alabama 6:00 P.M. (ESPN3)
09/17/16 at McNeese State 6:00 P.M. (American Sports Network)
09/24/16 Abilene Christian 6:00 P.M. (ESPN3)
10/01/16 Sam Houston State 3:00 P.M. (ESPN3)
10/08/16 at Nicholls 3:00 P.M.
10/15/16 Southeastern Louisiana 3:00 P.M. (ESPN3)
10/29/16 at Incarnate Word 6:00 P.M.
11/05/16 Central Arkansas 3:00 P.M. (ESPN3)
11/12/16 at Houston Baptist 2:00 P.M.
11/19/16 Northwestern State 3:00 P.M. (ESPN3)

(Possible 2-deep depth chart)

Pretty clear at the QB position as the Jacks return two 5th year seniors in Zach Conque and Hunter Taylor.

QB:#2 Zach Conque 6-6; 237 (Sr.) G:24;ATT:426;COMP:249;PCT:.65%;YDS:4,666;TD:31;INT :17;R:293;YDS:1,180;AVG:4.0;TD:24 (UTSA Transfer)
QB:#18 Hunter Taylor 6-1; 192 (Sr.) G:11;ATT:111;COMP:59;PCT:53%;YDS:548;TD:5;INT:3

Others...
QB:#15 Ryan Cottingame 6-3; 220 (So.) G:1;ATT:0;COMP:0;PCT:0%;YDS:0;TD:0;INT:0 (JUCO Transfer)
QB:#10 Jake Blumrick 6-2; 202 (R/Fr.)
QB:#9 Paten Snell 6-3; 190 (Fr.)
QB:#17 Tyler Ferre’ 6-3; 210 (Fr.)

At the running back position SFA sees the return of a steady stable of horses with plenty of speed lead by senior Joshawa West and last year Freshman sensation Loren Easly. Easly like Conque seems to be in his best shape as the ankle brace is gone and he feels ready for a break out sophomore season.

RB:#23 Joshawa West 5-10; 194 (Sr.) G:35;R:183;YDS:1,115;AVG:6.1;TD:4;REC:57;YDS:411;T D:1 or
RB:#7 Loren Easly 5-11; 205 (So.) G:10;R:126;YDS:759;AVG:6.0;TD:4;REC:7;YDS:43;TD:0

Others...
RB:#25 Kijana Amous 5-11; 210 (Jr.) (JUCO Transfer)
RB:#27 Jacolby Whitaker 5-10; 194 (So.) G:5;R:15;YDS:122;AVG:8.1;TD:1
RB:#32 Jamall Shaw 5-11; 205 (Fr.)
RB:#29 Josh McGowen 5-9; 190 (Fr.)

FB:#46 Jabralon Allen 6-0; 241 (Sr.) G:31;REC:4;YDS:61

The Jacks return all their wide receivers with a nice mix of speed and strength.

WR:#5 Justice Liggins 6-1; 210 (Sr.) G:26;REC:53;YDS:525;TD:5
WR:#89 Kiki Hill 6-2; 216 (R/Fr.)

WR:#88 Aaron Piper 5-9; 186 (Jr.) G:23;REC:62;YDS:564;TD:5 (Tennessee State Transfer)
WR:#85 Trae Hart 5-11; 175 (Jr.) G:18;REC:16;YDS:111;TD:0 (Purdue Transfer)

WR:#19 Robert Sylvester 6-0; 193 (Jr.) G:25;REC:49;YDS:503;TD:1 or
WR:#83 De’Quann Ruffin 6-2; 200 (Sr.) G:11;REC:23;YDS:375;TD:4 (JUCO/SFA Transfer)

Others...
WR:#81 Jonathan Sam 6-2; 205 (R/Fr.)
WR:#00 Tae Thomas 5-9; 175 (R/Fr.)
WR:#80 Tamrick Pace 6-3; 192 (Fr.)
WR:#22 Thomas Nolley 6-3; 190 (Fr.)
WR:#82 Cody Williams 6-3; 205 (Fr.)
WR:#00 Darby Baldwin 6-2; 185 (Fr.)
WR:#26 Khalil Lacy 6-0; 165 (Fr.)

TE:#87 Nick Jones 6-4; 248 (Jr.) (JUCO/Louisiana-Monroe Transfer) or
TE:#86 Will Taylor 6-3; 248 (Jr.) G:23;REC:5;YDS:59;TD:1 or
TE:#84 Lucas Askew 6-5; 220 (So.) G:9;REC:0;YDS:0;TD:0 (Texas State Transfer)

The offensive line took a big hit with the loss of 3 seniors and 1 junior from last season's squad and may have the biggest concern early in the season as Coach Best looks for the right combination of veterans and freshmen. SFA does though return two seniors in Anthony Pullins and Travis Wiggins that provide much needed leadership as well as a good nucleus to build around.

OL:#72 Travis Wiggins 6-3; 300 (Sr.) G:31
OL:#64 Travis Lock 6-3; 278 (R/Fr.)

OL:#67 Jaxon Salinas 6-3; 308 (Jr.) (Oklahoma State Transfer)
OL:#65 Hayden Scott 6-3; 286 (So.) G:3

OL:#68 Anthony Pullins 6-3; 300 (Sr.) G:31
OL:#78 Jake Wallace 6-0; 285 (Sr.) G:8 (Nicholls Transfer)

OL:#60 Shane Roberson 6-2; 304 (Jr.) G:16 or
OL:#71 Devonte Jones 6-2; 305 (So.) G:5 (Baylor Transfer)

OL:#79 Josh Keith 6-7; 318 (Jr.) (JUCO Transfer)
OL:#52 A.J. Brown 6-2; 305 (R/Fr.)

Others...
OL:#00 Armando Ledet 6-3; 275 (R/Fr.)(Texas State Transfer)
OL:#63 Tim Meyers 6-0; 275 (R/Fr.)
OL:#56 Deion Bennett 6-2; 284 (Fr.)
OL:#74 Matthew Mora 6-7; 280 (Fr.)
OL:#76 Cooper Williams 6-4; 277 (Fr.)
OL:#66 Zach Mack 6-3; 285 (Fr.)

With new offensive coordinator Gary Crowton at the helm and his newly installed quick strike up tempo offense, the Jacks appear to be in good shape to put some big numbers on the score board.

Much like the offensive side of the ball the defensive front in a (4-2-5) has to deal with the loss of three senior defensive tackles. As a result of the lack of experience and depth at that position the coaching staff has moved defensive ends Darrell Vanerson and Mitchell Zimmerle inside. Sophomores Lamont Alexander and TCU transfer Demetrion Amie do though return, with the most time logged up front.

DT:#93 Lamont Alexander 6-3; 300 (So.) G:11;TKL:16;TFL:1.5 or
DT:#94 Demetrion Amie 6-4; 272 (So.) G:6;TKL:8;TFL:2.5;SCK:1.5 (TCU Transfer)

DT:#99 Mitchell Zimmerle 6-3; 284 (Jr.) G:24;TKL:40;TFL:8.0;SCK:3.0;FF:1 or
​DT:#96 Darrell Vanerson 6-3; 288 (Sr.) G:9;TKL:8 (JUCO Transfer)

Others...
DT:#62 Braxton Kelly 6-1; 290 (So.) G:2;TKL:2
DT:#53 Bubu Alvarez 5-10; 260 (So.) G:3;TKL:3;TFL:0.5
DT:#55 Paul Hill 6-1; 284 (R/Fr.)
DT:#00 Reece Railey 6-1; 255 (R/Fr.)
DT:#77 Rayshad Nichols 6-4; 280 (Fr.)
DT:#92 Larron Cox 6-3; 265 (Fr.)

No mystery on the ends as the Lumberjacks return two of the best linemen in the conference on the outside with senior Kedrick Harrison and preseason all conference player John Franklin, who was last years FSC Defensive Player of the Year. Backing the duo will be senior Jamal Allen who himself saw many of starts last season. Up and coming R/Fr. Gary Sampson who has had glowing reviews from spring practice looks to be ready to become the next great one.

DE:#97 Kedrick Harrison 6-2; 246 (Sr.) G:36;TKL:91;TFL:23.0;SCK:10.5;FF:4;FR:1;PD:3
DE:#57 Gary Sampson 6-3; 240 (R/Fr.)

DE:#13 John Franklin 6-4; 278 (Jr.) G:19;TKL:43;TFL:9.0;SCK:6.0
DE:#44 Jamal Allen 6-0; 246 (Sr.) G:33;TKL:48;TFL:12.5;SCK:7.0;PD:1

Others...
DE:#00 Dalton Logenbaugh 6-1; 215 (So.)
DE:#98 Jack Martin 6-4; 238 (R/Fr.)
DE:#00 Luke Greenwood 6-1; 235 (R/Fr.)
DE:#95 Malik George 6-3; 218 (Fr.)
DE:#90 Jerry Blanks 6-2; 242 (Fr.)

The linebacker corp returns only three with any game time experience in seniors Price Miller and George Stone III along with sophomore Ryan Woods who had a tremendous spring. Price Miller is the teams returning leading tackler with 52 stops in 11 games.

LB:#49 Price Miller 6-1; 228 (Sr.) G:11;TKL:52;TFL:1.5 (JUCO Transfer)
LB:#50 Ryan Woods 6-1; 220 (So.) G:3;TKL:2;TFL:1.5

LB:#4 George Stone III 6-1; 225 (Sr.) G:11;TKL:26;TFL:3.5;SCK:1.0 (JUCO/Indiana State Transfer)
LB:#54 Spencer Choka 6-0; 238 (R/Fr.)

Others...
LB:#43 Anthony Jacobs 5-11; 237 (R/Fr.)
LB:#42 Teddy Britton 5-11; 219 (R/Fr.)
LB:#48 Fre’Zarian Harrison 5-11; 224 (Fr.)
LB:#34 Noah Salinas 6-1; 210 (Fr.)

Along with wide receiver on the offensive side of the ball, one could say the secondary is the strength of the Lumberjack defense when it comes to depth and playing time.

Who do the coaches choose to start? Well, pick your poison as the Jacks return 10 defensive backs with substantial playing time lead by preseason all conference player Patrick Martin.

Ironically, with all that returning experience and playing time, you just might see more of a player who has seen none in r/Fr. Alize Ward. When you ask Ward's former prep school coach Deion Sanders what he thinks about Ward, he will tell you "That player can flat out ball." Many witnessed just that in this years spring game as the 5-10; 203 hybrid was all over the field at FS making plays.

Needless to say any of the following athletes could start on any given Saturday for the Jacks.

FS:#33 Alize Ward 5-10; 203 (R/Fr.) or
FS:#28 Marion Walls 5-10; 196 (Jr.) G:24;TKL:29;TFL:1.5;FF:1;FR:1;PD:3;INT:2

S:#14 Patrick Martin 5-9; 186 (Sr.) G:36;TKL:148;TFL:13.0;SCK:1.0;FF:3;PD:12;INT:3
S:#3 Germod Williams 5-9; 178 (Sr.) G:11;TKL:27;TFL:1.0;FF:2;FR:1;INT:1 (Texas State Transfer)

S:#37 Ahmad Muhammad 6-0; 196 (Jr.) G:24;TKL:58;TFL:2.0;FR:1;PD:1
S:#6 Zack Starnes 5-9; 184 (Sr.) G:11;TKL:32 (JUCO Transfer)

Others...
S:#12 Lawrence Ghansah 6-0; 195 (So.) G:10;TKL:14;TFL:0.5;FR:1
S:#39 Trey Ramos 6-0; 175 (Fr.)

Two freshmen corners for SFA emerged last season in Trevon Smith and Tarrin Mitchell who combined for 4 INTs. JUCO transfer Trent Perriman and senior Tre Rosser also look to provide great coverage this upcoming season.

CB:#30 Trevon Smith 5-10; 184 (So.) G:10;TKL:26;FR:2;PD:3;INT:2 or
CB:#8 Trent Perriman 5-11; 184 (Jr.) (JUCO Transfer)

CB:#20 Tarrin Mitchell 5-10; 186 (So.) G:11;TKL:27;PD:1;INT:2 (Houston Transfer) or
CB:#1 Tre Rosser 5-11; 185 (Sr.) G:11;TKL:16;FR:1;PD:1;INT:1 (JUCO Transfer)

Others...
CB:#11 Aaron Foy 5-11; 184 (Jr.) (JUCO Transfer)
CB:#31 Zach Hall 5-11; 175 (Fr.)
CB:#24 Alex Gregory 6-1; 180 (Fr.)
CB:#47 Hunter Cabral 5-9; 185 (Fr.)
CB:#00 Jessie Biles 5-10; 180 (Fr.)
CB:#40 Zack Kanipes 5-7; 160 (Jr.) (Transfer)

Special Teams looks to improve from last season in terms of coverage and field goals. The Jacks bring in an interesting prospect at punter in Junior Michael Crowder who unlike many punters can actually run with 4.5 speed, this guy can tuck and run.

K/P:#38 Michael Crowder 6-1; 175 (Jr.) (Transfer)

Kicker Caleb Lewallen returns along with transfers Troy Duran and Storm Ruiz.

K/P:#41 Troy Duran 6-1; 175 (So.) (JUCO Transfer)
K:#45 Caleb Lewallen 5-10; 190 (So.) G:10;KO:45;YDS:2,667;AVG:60.0;TB:6
K/P:#36 Storm Ruiz 5-10; 160 (R/Fr.) (Houston Transfer)

LS:#51 Chris Wilkerson 6-2; 237 (So.) G:10

With five games at home, five (four if you don't count the money game) on the road, and one neutral, the schedule lines up nicely for SFA as three of those five road games come against Nicholls, Houston Baptist and UIW, leaving the biggest road test in Lake Charles.

Of course the Lumberjacks look to finally get over the Sam Houston State, Central Arkansas, and Abilene Christian hump in a season that could be determined early as SFA gets McNeese State and Sam Houston State (the two favorites) early.

ST_Lawson
August 3rd, 2016, 08:53 PM

Not bad, considering I didn't expect us to make the playoffs at all last year. So, for me, just making the playoffs qualified as an "epic playoff run". And trust me, UND wouldn't have gotten any further than we did if given the same post-season schedule. Coprich and Roberson were just too good (when healthy)...they would have taken out just about anyone outside of the top 4-5 teams.

caribbeanhen
August 3rd, 2016, 09:02 PM
I think Delaware has a real good chance to surprise to the upside. Most of the Blue Hen faithful are looking for a dumpster fire & Brock to be gone, but I thought the Blue Hens were physically impressive last season @ Villanova. A year of seasoning & the addition of Penn State starting LB Troy Reeder & his promising frosh brother Colby makes this already physical defense that much more.

I expect the Battle of the Blue in Newark this season to be a very low scoring affair. 1st to 2 TDs may win it.

you Sir are obviously looking at the Hens without being blinded by an agenda .... excellent take! Your right, seems lots of Hen fans would prefer Delaware to egg the bed again to ensure Brock and crew are gone.... Nova game this year should be playoffs or go home

clenz
August 4th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Predicted playoff field based on the AGS preseason poll

Autos:
Big Sky - Montana
Big South - Charleston Southern
CAA - Richmond
MVFC - NDSU
NEC - Duquense
OVC - Jax State
Patriot - Colgate
PFL - San Deigo
SoCon - Chatty
SLC - SHSU

At-large:
Big Sky: Portland State, Eastern Washington, Northern Arizona, North Dakota
CAA: James Madison, William & Mary, Villanova
MVFC: Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Youngstown State
SLC: McNeese State
SoCon: The Citadel

Bids for each conference would be
Big Sky: 5
Big South: 1
CAA: 4
MVFC: 6
NEC: 1
OVC: 1
Patriot: 1
Pioneer: 1
SoCon: 2
SLC: 2

Seeds would be (3 MVFC, 1 CAA, 1 OVC, 1 SLC, 1 BSO, 1 SoCon)
1 seed - NDSU - MVFC
2 seed - UNI - MVFC
3 seed - Richmond - CAA
4 seed - JSU - OVC
5 seed - SHSU - SLC
6 seed - Chatty - SOCON
7 seed - SDSU - MVFC
8 seed - CSU - Big South

Imagine trying the outrage over the forced rematches on that...on top of the outrage over 6 MVFC and 5 Big Sky teams....

UNIFanSince1983
August 4th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Honestly the distribution on number of teams from each conference seems about right. I mean the CAA is a little down, but 4 still isn't bad. I could definitely see 5 from the Big Sky, and with the way the MVFC has been the last few years 6 seems reasonable. In my opinion it should be skewed towards those 3 power conferences really.

Grizalltheway
August 4th, 2016, 10:37 AM
I think I'd be more outraged that a "power conference" auto bid recipient didn't get a seed. Especially if said recipient has a win on the road over the #2 seed.

POD Knows
August 4th, 2016, 10:44 AM
I think I'd be more outraged that a "power conference" auto bid recipient didn't get a seed. Especially if said recipient has a win on the road over the #2 seed.

Yea, that is interesting. Five BCS spots and no seed. Say it ain't so Clenz, say it ain't so

clenz
August 4th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Yea, that is interesting. Five BCS spots and no seed. Say it ain't so Clenz, say it ain't so
First Big Sky team didn't come in until 11th...

FormerPokeCenter
August 4th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Y'all are ****ing crazy.....McNeese isn't a top 20 team....not with a shaky O line, an unproven QB, and a new coaching staff...

C'mon...

Twentysix
August 4th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Y'all are ****ing crazy.....McNeese isn't a top 20 team....not with a shaky O line, an unproven QB, and a new coaching staff...

C'mon...

Thanks, you validated me not voting for them at all.

POD Knows
August 4th, 2016, 11:35 AM
First Big Sky team didn't come in until 11th...

Yea, my reply was more of a dig against the BSC.

McNeese72
August 4th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Thanks, you validated me not voting for them at all.

Thank you, sir! This team should have to prove that they are worthy. ;)

Doc

Grizalltheway
August 4th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Yea, my reply was more of a dig against the BSC.

You brigand. I hereby challenge you to a duel.

JSUSoutherner
August 4th, 2016, 12:10 PM
A duel?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23084&stc=1

POD Knows
August 4th, 2016, 12:15 PM

I will meet you in Ekalaka, Mont at sundown. xslapfightx

Grizalltheway
August 4th, 2016, 12:31 PM
I will meet you in Ekalaka, Mont at sundown. xslapfightx

This cracka wouldn't be caught dead in Ekalaka.

POD Knows
August 4th, 2016, 12:35 PM
This cracka wouldn't be caught dead in Ekalaka.

How about Wolf Point?

Grizalltheway
August 4th, 2016, 12:42 PM
How about Wolf Point?

I try to avoid rez towns as well.

POD Knows
August 4th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I try to avoid rez towns as well.

I was trying to pick a place where somebody getting dropped isn't such a big deal.

Grizalltheway
August 4th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Good thinking.

dewey
August 4th, 2016, 02:21 PM
I was trying to pick a place where somebody getting dropped isn't such a big deal.

Chicago then?:D

Dewey

POD Knows
August 4th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Chicago then?:D

Dewey

That is pretty good.

Chicago it is, at least that way I can get a decent meal before leaving the Griz fan in the street.:D

ElCid
August 4th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Not a bad poll in general but teams that are too high include Charleston Southern (as we will see the first game out), E Washington, Portland State and probably my Bulldogs now that we have a QB issue. Seems to be a lot of reputation there. Teams too low include Samford and Liberty. Folks are underrating them.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 4th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Seeds would be (3 MVFC, 1 CAA, 1 OVC, 1 SLC, 1 BSO, 1 SoCon)
1 seed - NDSU - MVFC
2 seed - UNI - MVFC
3 seed - Richmond - CAA
4 seed - JSU - OVC
5 seed - SHSU - SLC
6 seed - Chatty - SOCON
7 seed - SDSU - MVFC
8 seed - CSU - Big South

Interesting. You guys still got that place Peppers out there? Enjoyed it in December '08. Perhaps again 8 years later.

achrist70
August 4th, 2016, 09:29 PM
Yep same place it has always been

ngineer
August 4th, 2016, 11:53 PM

How can you not rank Colgate? They go two rounds last year I the playoffs and return almost the entire starting line up on both sides of the ball.

caribbeanhen
August 5th, 2016, 10:19 AM

C'mon...

you mean to say Sammy Houston is not playing a worthy team all year now? I thought we could always count on McNeese

thebootfitter
August 5th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Not a bad poll in general but teams that are too high include Charleston Southern (as we will see the first game out), E Washington, Portland State and probably my Bulldogs now that we have a QB issue. Seems to be a lot of reputation there. Teams too low include Samford and Liberty. Folks are underrating them.
Even IF the Bison win in a blowout, I don't think it is indication alone that Chuck South is too high. The Fargodome is a tough place to play -- especially for first timers, and I expect NDSU to be playing on another level again this year. I'd put more emphasis on how their next few games shake out before considering them overrated. As always, time will tell.

clenz
August 5th, 2016, 01:00 PM
It's not an "if" CSU gets blown out.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 5th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Even IF the Bison win in a blowout, I don't think it is indication alone that Chuck South is too high. The Fargodome is a tough place to play -- especially for first timers, and I expect NDSU to be playing on another level again this year. I'd put more emphasis on how their next few games shake out before considering them overrated. As always, time will tell.

Agree. Also as we've seen with Jacksonville State and Richmond that style of D doesn't fare well against the Big Uglies up front. They are just too small to not get pushed around on the D line IMO. Not a good matchup for them.

Daytripper
August 5th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Preseason

10: Montana Grizzlies

11: North Dakota Fighting Hawks

15: Portland State Vikings

16: Youngstown State Penguins

17: Liberty Flames

18: Samford Bulldogs

20: Eastern Kentucky Colonels

21: New Hampshire Wildcats

23: Colgate Raiders

24: Western Illinois Leathernecks

25: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks

BisonTru
August 5th, 2016, 03:53 PM

BTW, nice job over on CS. I might have to get an account over there, that's where the Chuck S folk are at, and damn do they have hope. That could be a good post game thread.

JSUSoutherner
August 5th, 2016, 03:54 PM
BTW, nice job over on CS. I might have to get an account over there, that's where the Chuck S folk are at, and damn do they have hope. That could be a good post game thread.
What is CS?

BisonTru
August 5th, 2016, 03:57 PM
What is CS?

It's another FCS Forum. Here's the thread I'm referring to. http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45981

JSUSoutherner
August 5th, 2016, 04:02 PM
It's another FCS Forum. Here's the thread I'm referring to. http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45981
Tell them to look at the JSU-CSU score. Then look at the NDSU-JSU score. They're going to get stomped.

A run option run game like the reference Citdadel having is a completely different offense than NDSU. NDSU spent entire first drive in the NC ramming the ball down the middle in because they could. HELL, we ran for over 400 yards on Chuck South.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 5th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Tell them to look at the JSU-CSU score. Then look at the NDSU-JSU score. They're going to get stomped.

A run option run game like the reference Citdadel having is a completely different offense than NDSU. NDSU spent entire first drive in the NC ramming the ball down the middle in because they could. HELL, we ran for over 400 yards on Chuck South.

Yeah I just don't think the style of D you, Richmond, and CHuck South play matches up well against us. Jacky state had the studs and the size and still couldn't get it done. Chuck is waaaay smaller and will be bullied.

Twentysix
August 5th, 2016, 04:44 PM
I am so pumped to have tickets to this game. :D can't wait.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 5th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I am so pumped to have tickets to this game. :D can't wait.

I can't believe I got tickets too! Banner dropping, ESPN, going to be crazy!

PantherRob82
August 5th, 2016, 05:10 PM
What if CSU wins? xpopcornx

JSUSoutherner
August 5th, 2016, 05:18 PM
Cases of alcohol poisoning in North Dakota would sky rocket.

Twentysix
August 5th, 2016, 05:26 PM

I would expect they will jump in the rankings. Probably to about #3, drop ndsu to #4.

Though when NDSU beats Iowa they will reclaim the #1 :p

POD Knows
August 5th, 2016, 05:52 PM

What if UNI loses to Montana, which is a 1000X more likely than a Bison loss to CU. Can we drop you to 25 in the polls.

Twentysix
August 5th, 2016, 06:08 PM
What if UNI loses to Montana, which is a 1000X more likely than a Bison loss to CU. Can we drop you to 25 in the polls.

idk.... isn't montana like a completely different roster?

centennial
August 5th, 2016, 06:16 PM
I would expect they will jump in the rankings. Probably to about #3, drop ndsu to #4.

Though when NDSU beats Iowa they will reclaim the #1 :p
CSU is no better than 4th place MVFC. We should not be losing this game, however refer to Indiana State, South Dakota, YSU and Montana. If we are looking towards Iowa we could easily lose a close one.

centennial
August 5th, 2016, 06:19 PM
idk.... isn't montana like a completely different roster?

Close to 50 new players including some FBS transfers. Until Montana can prove itself they are going to remain unranked. Farley is also a factor, goes into prevent or decides to change the offense half way through the game then Montana could easily win..

Nickels
August 5th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Preseason

10: Montana Grizzlies

11: North Dakota Fighting Hawks

15: Portland State Vikings

16: Youngstown State Penguins

17: Liberty Flames

18: Samford Bulldogs

20: Eastern Kentucky Colonels

21: New Hampshire Wildcats

23: Colgate Raiders

24: Western Illinois Leathernecks

25: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks

Whatcha say DT? Is it our year? I'm feeling pretty damn good about our roster but it could be 2013 all over again...

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 5th, 2016, 09:26 PM

NDSU crushes this team!

Their undersized defense is going to get steam rolled.

UNIFanSince1983
August 6th, 2016, 08:14 AM

I actually would fully expect people would drop us down to around 25 or so.

I am not sure why we are ranked 2nd to begin with...

POD Knows
August 6th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I actually would fully expect people would drop us down to around 25 or so.

I am not sure why we are ranked 2nd to begin with...

I would keep UNI higher than that unless it was a 30 point blowout or something.

BisonFan02
August 6th, 2016, 10:47 PM

CSU is a pretty good squad, but NDSU is an absolutely horrific match up for the Bucs...on top of the fact that they are getting their first "go around" in the dome....they are going to have to weather the storm early or the wheels could fall off fast.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 7th, 2016, 08:51 AM
CSU is a pretty good squad, but NDSU is an absolutely horrific match up for the Bucs...on top of the fact that they are getting their first "go around" in the dome....they are going to have to weather the storm early or the wheels could fall off fast.

Exactly, I have said the same thing.

I could see the same G gap power run up the middle for 5-6 consecutive plays like against SHSU in '15.....xlolx

Both teams will be rusty and make mistakes because it is the first game but I suspect a 20+ point blowout for the Bison. If CSU wins, kudos to them.

Daytripper
August 8th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Whatcha say DT? Is it our year? I'm feeling pretty damn good about our roster but it could be 2013 all over again...

I think with our weak ass schedule, we could run the table and get multiple home playoff games. I really like the idea of having one QB starter (although I am still not completely sold on Briscoe). This is a year that we cannot start slow - we don't play enough good teams to dig out of a hole. I think the offense will be better than last season and if the defense improves at all, I think we can finally get back to Frisco. People may think I am crazy, but if we do get back to the natty, I want another shot at the Bison...xnodx

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I think with our weak ass schedule, we could run the table and get multiple playoff games. I really like the idea of having one QB starter (although I am still not completely sold on Briscoe). This is a year that we cannot start slow - we don't play enough good teams to dig out of a hole. I think the offense will be better than last season and if the defense improves at all, I think we can finally get back to Frisco. People may think I am crazy, but if we do get back to the natty, I want another shot at the Bison...xnodx
Get in line.

McNeese72
August 8th, 2016, 08:46 AM
you mean to say Sammy Houston is not playing a worthy team all year now? I thought we could always count on McNeese

A lot of changes and unknown factors this season. I don't think this McNeese team should be ranked until they prove themselves, if they do.

Doc

No_Skill
August 8th, 2016, 09:08 AM
I think with our weak ass schedule, we could run the table and get multiple home playoff games. I really like the idea of having one QB starter (although I am still not completely sold on Briscoe). This is a year that we cannot start slow - we don't play enough good teams to dig out of a hole. I think the offense will be better than last season and if the defense improves at all, I think we can finally get back to Frisco. People may think I am crazy, but if we do get back to the natty, I want another shot at the Bison...xnodx

Glutton for punishment? :)

geaux_sioux
August 8th, 2016, 09:27 AM
NDSU fans should remember the lesson that Frankenstein taught them in 2012. That was Woffords first time in The Loaf and they came to play.
http://www.gobison.com/boxscore.aspx?id=1463&path=football

Daytripper
August 8th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Glutton for punishment? :)

My philosophy is - if you want to be considered the best, you have to beat the best. Although, I will celebrate a natty over any opponent.

BisonBacker
August 8th, 2016, 03:31 PM
NDSU fans should remember the lesson that Frankenstein taught them in 2012. That was Woffords first time in The Loaf and they came to play.

They were a good team. What was your excuse? http://www.gobison.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=6281

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 03:34 PM
They were a good team. What was your excuse? http://www.gobison.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=6281
61 yards of offense! ****! xlmaoxxlmaox

BisonBacker
August 8th, 2016, 03:36 PM

Don't forget 4 rushing yards :D

Sad thing was our coach took the foot off the gas or the score and box score would have been worse for them xlolx

Bison56
August 8th, 2016, 03:37 PM

But now they are mad and going to smash people.

IBleedYellow
August 8th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Get in line.

I'd say they have two tickets punched ahead of you, pal.

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 04:15 PM
I'd say they have two tickets punched ahead of you, pal.
Yeah well.

Come playoff time, we will see.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Yeah well.

Come playoff time, we will see.

You might want to ease off all the bravado a bit. Just saying, more often than not crow is eaten over off season claims. Not saying this particular claim is overdoing it but it's getting a bit full with the others. xlolx

At best, you still come up short if you are correct. SHSU has been in line longer and has 3 meetings as oppose to one was the point.

clenz
August 8th, 2016, 04:44 PM
You might want to ease off all the bravado a bit. Just saying, more often than not crow is eaten over off season claims. Not saying this particular claim is overdoing it but it's getting a bit full with the others. xlolx

At best, you still come up short if you are correct. SHSU has been in line longer and has 3 meetings as oppose to one was the point.
I get a kick out of him wanting SDSU and UNI like they won't be a big deal and it's a chance to prove that.

Unless JSU is seeded higher they won't out bid UNI or SDSU so they won't get a home game. I also don't think he truly realizes that UNI, minus the whole championship things, is built and plays exactly like NDSU and that SDSU actually had a better defense than UNI or NDSU (at least statistically) last season.

Let's not forget SDSU would have been a top 8 seed had they not had to go through frozen hell to get to Western Illinois the last game of the season - plane wouldn't start, bus issues, routing issues, etc... The game was delayed a few hours and SDSU rolled in on the bus got off and nearly instantly kicked off.

It's one thing to see NDSU's domination and poo poo UNI and SDSU. It's a bit different when you actually have to line up against them and see just how big and fast they really are, and the fact is that they aren't really that far behind NDSU.

Thumper 76
August 8th, 2016, 04:52 PM
I get a kick out of him wanting SDSU and UNI like they won't be a big deal and it's a chance to prove that.

Unless JSU is seeded higher they won't out bid UNI or SDSU so they won't get a home game. I also don't think he truly realizes that UNI, minus the whole championship things, is built and plays exactly like NDSU and that SDSU actually had a better defense than UNI or NDSU (at least statistically) last season.

Let's not forget SDSU would have been a top 8 seed had they not had to go through frozen hell to get to Western Illinois the last game of the season - plane wouldn't start, bus issues, routing issues, etc... The game was delayed a few hours and SDSU rolled in on the bus got off and nearly instantly kicked off.

It's one thing to see NDSU's domination and poo poo UNI and SDSU. It's a bit different when you actually have to line up against them and see just how big and fast they really are, and the fact is that they aren't really that far behind NDSU.

I guess I don't know how JSU would bid but with an attendance of 22,000 plus I would imagine it would be a healthy bid. The reason they wouldn't outbid SDSU this year is its the first season of the DJD. Otherwise they might.

And that WIU game was a total abortion. It's crazy to think the reason SDSU missed out on a seed and WIU made the playoffs was really due to travel issues. The game still went into overtime with those problems.

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 04:58 PM

I know, I talk a lot. I had to eat a few crows last season. It comes with being a homer I suppose. xnodx

I meant that come playoff time we will see who gets another shot at NDSU. One way or another I wouldn't be surprised to see SHSU again if we try for another run.

I'm not poo pooing UNI or SDSU. Heck, we've talked about UNI before on GTA. I want them on our side because they are as good as they are. As has been pointed out numerous times on here, one of JSU's flaws is that we don't play a Valley schedule. Why not want something that could help with that issue? By saying I want UNI or SDSU I'm not saying I think it's an auto win or something by any means. I know what kind of game it would be. But to be considered for the best you have to be able to beat the best. Or something like that.

I also agree with the seeding, I don't know how we would bid compared to them, but if the OVC repeats itself and we take care of business OOC I think we will be fine.

clenz
August 8th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I guess I don't know how JSU would bid but with an attendance of 22,000 plus I would imagine it would be a healthy bid. The reason they wouldn't outbid SDSU this year is its the first season of the DJD. Otherwise they might.

And that WIU game was a total abortion. It's crazy to think the reason SDSU missed out on a seed and WIU made the playoffs was really due to travel issues. The game still went into overtime with those problems.
Let's put it this way, UNI has (historically) had no issues losing money for the right to host a playoff game. I'm sure SDSU would be willing to do the same if it meant advancing.

You also have to remember, if it comes to the bid process it's likely a Thanksgiving weekend game, which means the team isn't seeded. How well does a 7 or 8 win JSU draw on Thanksgiving weekend? Keep in mind, that's Iron Bowl weened - Alabama/Auburn. It's been Iron Bowl weekend since the very beginning of those two programs playing. There have been years where it's been a week or two earlier or a week later but 95% of the time it's Thanksgiving weekend.

Benefit of "only having" Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota and Wisconsin to fight with for UNI and SDSU....that's not a big rivalry weekend. Yes, it's now Iowa/Nebraska weekend, but that is a Friday game. That won't impact UNI or SDSU.

UNI or SDSU getting to host a quarters or semis? Not having to go to NDSU or Montana? Guarantee those tickets go for 30-40 a pop, easy. Hell, UNI is charging $30 for a regular season game for freaking Missouri State this year. It'd be equal to UNI/Montana or UNI/NDSU during the season - those are $45 tickets and will sell out. UNI can fit nearly 17,500 in the dome. Hell, figure 17K at 40-45 a ticket and JSU is going to need to bid based on selling out every single ticket at $35 a ticket to be able to match what UNI would get with a 7K less seat stadium.

Plus Farley will, and has before, buy 5K tickets for students and likely kick back some of his salary to help the bid.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2016, 05:16 PM

On a good day for both teams I could have seen JSU getting by SDSU but I wouldn't have put money on em' over UNI and at best I guess it's more of a 50/50 with SDSU.

Just been an odd sense of self worth with the team cuz they were good but they weren't the best NDSU played in the playoffs so, you know, might want to back off just a bit.

It's the off season though, so I suppose this is part of it, it's not correct in my estimation but so be it.xthumbsupx

clenz
August 8th, 2016, 06:08 PM
On a good day for both teams I could have seen JSU getting by SDSU but I wouldn't have put money on em' over UNI and at best I guess it's more of a 50/50 with SDSU.

Just been an odd sense of self worth with the team cuz they were good but they weren't the best NDSU played in the playoffs so, you know, might want to back off just a bit.

It's the off season though, so I suppose this is part of it, it's not correct in my estimation but so be it.xthumbsupx

I go back to the UNI/EIU thread as a prime example....or 90% of my posts my first 5 years or so will owing the FCS full time. Most posters are so focused on their team, their conference, their players that they struggle to see the forest through the trees...so to speak. Southerner has the OVC down. You'll see that as his OVC previews roll out. They are real good. What we see on the forums that understand the relation to the rest of the FCS isn't quite to that level yet. That's not a knock on him. It'll come. Took me a half decade to figure out there is a world outside the MVFC.

I told him while talking to him on GTA this weekend (I bet in the last week we've spent nearly 20 hours talking to each other) that JSU might be the best OVC team in 2 decades but that is still considerably behind in the national races for respect and consistency than JSU wants to believe as a fan base. They seem like the most likely program to break the spell of the OVC being vastly overrated all of them times but they have to prove it for a few years, especially to get respect on here. I pointed out a few years ago when EIU was number one and everyone in the OVC thought they'd win the title and then Terrance West treated them like a freight train and a smart car. I also pointed out the year before where they thought there was no chance SDSU could stop the passing game, then SDSU won 58-10.

JSU admitted that he'd like to see it because JSU doesn't get to see that kind of competition in the regular season. The issue is if you don't see it in the regular season you can't really prep for it come a game of that magnitude. It's why the Big Sky, CAA, MVFC and SoCon of old consistently have multiple top 10 type teams that do well in the OOC and playoffs. They face that pressure every week. The pressure of not being able to have an empty possession in a game isn't new to teams like that.

JSU can become that team, maybe they are that team, but until it's proven for a few years it's all talk coming from an OVC team that won its way through the weakest half of a playoff bracket in decades.

FearTheBeak
August 8th, 2016, 06:37 PM
I go back to the UNI/EIU thread as a prime example....or 90% of my posts my first 5 years or so will owing the FCS full time. Most posters are so focused on their team, their conference, their players that they struggle to see the forest through the trees...so to speak. Southerner has the OVC down. You'll see that as his OVC previews roll out. They are real good. What we see on the forums that understand the relation to the rest of the FCS isn't quite to that level yet. That's not a knock on him. It'll come. Took me a half decade to figure out there is a world outside the MVFC.

I told him while talking to him on GTA this weekend (I bet in the last week we've spent nearly 20 hours talking to each other) that JSU might be the best OVC team in 2 decades but that is still considerably behind in the national races for respect and consistency than JSU wants to believe as a fan base. They seem like the most likely program to break the spell of the OVC being vastly overrated all of them times but they have to prove it for a few years, especially to get respect on here. I pointed out a few years ago when EIU was number one and everyone in the OVC thought they'd win the title and then Terrance West treated them like a freight train and a smart car. I also pointed out the year before where they thought there was no chance SDSU could stop the passing game, then SDSU won 58-10.

JSU admitted that he'd like to see it because JSU doesn't get to see that kind of competition in the regular season. The issue is if you don't see it in the regular season you can't really prep for it come a game of that magnitude. It's why the Big Sky, CAA, MVFC and SoCon of old consistently have multiple top 10 type teams that do well in the OOC and playoffs. They face that pressure every week. The pressure of not being able to have an empty possession in a game isn't new to teams like that.

JSU can become that team, maybe they are that team, but until it's proven for a few years it's all talk coming from an OVC team that won its way through the weakest half of a playoff bracket in decades.

Well said, as a JSU fan, it is easy to get caught up in how great our team can look being in the OVC, but we truly don't get many big games in the
regular season so we don't face much adversity. That is why I hope we get some teams this year in the playoffs like SDSU or UNI to get a better understanding of the national scene.

clenz
August 8th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Well said, as a JSU fan, it is easy to get caught up in how great our team can look being in the OVC, but we truly don't get many big games in the
regular season so we don't face much adversity. That is why I hope we get some teams this year in the playoffs like SDSU or UNI to get a better understanding of the national scene.

That's perfectly reasonable.

I'd like to see UNI get JSU so we can have another OVC team. This NDSU, Illinois State, Montana and CAA/Big Sky champion rotation is for the birds.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 8th, 2016, 07:38 PM

Considering Wofford's score was a pick 6, the Bison shut that potent offense down.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 8th, 2016, 07:40 PM

LOL.......if Klieman left the defensive starters in, UND would have had negative total yards.....LOL

He should have.....

BisonTru
August 8th, 2016, 07:50 PM

I'm not on board with the bolded statement. I know it has been popular among my own fanbase to push this, and certainly UNI played us the closest during the playoff run. However, you saw us at the beginning of the season and in the playoffs. We were a much better team especially the defense and offensive line later in the season. We emerged as one of the two best teams in the country without the second overall draft pick at QB. Then we added Wentz to that squad and played the Gamecocks. The team JSU faced in the championship would have destroyed anyone in the nation. That may sound homerish, but it's the truth.

I really don't think the JSU guys are being too homerish. They had a damn good team last year. They do lose a lot, but they also return their MVP from that team in Eli Jenkins. Time will tell, it may be all the guys doubting the Gamecocks that will end up with the plate of crow.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 8th, 2016, 07:54 PM
JSU will be there at the end of the season. Replacing Pope is key. Jenkins needs a good RB to take some of the pressure off of him.

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 08:03 PM
JSU will be there at the end of the season. Replacing Pope is key. Jenkins needs a good RB to take some of the pressure off of him.
Pope left some big shoes to fill but our problem will not be running back by any stretch, it may actually be our deepest position on the team. Our offense should be fine. I've been saying it a lot on the JSU board but I'm most worried about our linebackers. We're going to need to step it up on defense if we want to have the kind of success we had last year, let alone build on it.

POD Knows
August 8th, 2016, 08:08 PM

They had two pass plays for 44 yards, I don't know how they got the other 17 yards

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2016, 08:11 PM
I'm not on board with the bolded statement. I know it has been popular among my own fanbase to push this, and certainly UNI played us the closest during the playoff run. However, you saw us at the beginning of the season and in the playoffs. We were a much better team especially the defense and offensive line later in the season. We emerged as one of the two best teams in the country without the second overall draft pick at QB. Then we added Wentz to that squad and played the Gamecocks. The team JSU faced in the championship would have destroyed anyone in the nation. That may sound homerish, but it's the truth.

I really don't think the JSU guys are being too homerish. They had a damn good team last year. They do lose a lot, but they also return their MVP from that team in Eli Jenkins. Time will tell, it may be all the guys doubting the Gamecocks that will end up with the plate of crow.

Chattown? That is about all I've seen not giving them their fair share of respect. It's getting to be a bit much talk to not get some "STFU" going the other way though.

JSU was a damn good team. You wouldn't have ran all over UNI with Wentz at the helm either so you can see it how you would like to. In any other game SHSU wouldn't have been the whipping boy they were either but they ended up getting it hard in that game.

Sometimes things work out like that so just saying it might be time to ease off the overboard if he really doesn't know what they have yet...which he doesn't.

Good coach, good program, lots to like if you don't get too overboard with the fact that you got there once is the point. It's progressing, not quite a chattown effort yet, but it's progressing. You hate to see that happen to a guy if it can be helped. xlolx

BisonTru
August 8th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Chattown? That is about all I've seen not giving them their fair share of respect. It's getting to be a bit much talk to not get some "STFU" going the other way though.

JSU was a damn good team. You wouldn't have ran all over UNI with Wentz at the helm either so you can see it how you would like to. In any other game SHSU wouldn't have been the whipping boy they were either but they ended up getting it hard in that game.

Yeah, I'm sure adding the second best quarterback in the nation (FBS included) isn't going to open up the running game. xrolleyesx See this however you'd like. I knew how we were playing as a team, and after seeing Wentz throw his first couple passes I knew the game was over. You folks can believe Wentz had little effect, but adding one of the best quarterbacks to ever play in this division is a game changer. Like I said nobody faced the team JSU did.

As far as Sam Houston. They got destroyed. Maybe if that game is played 10 times they only lose that bad once, but they probably lose 10 out of 10. Many folks on this board have the Bearcats above the Gamecocks. JMO, but I think this board is a little low on JSU, and some of their fans optimism is coming off as unreasonable homerism. However, how I see it they have some reasons to be excited coming into the season.

clenz
August 8th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Keep in mind UNI played NDSU, in Fargo, with Wentz as the starter last year. If it wasn't for a miraculous back corner of the endzone catch Wentz would be 0-2 as a starter against UNI instead of 1-1. That game was scoreless for the first 10 minutes. UNI then led until the 14 min make of the 4th quarter, regained the lead with 12 min left, and again with 7 min left. Outside the first 10 scoreless minutes UNI lead 90% of that game, just not the final 35.

As far as stats for that game? UNI is on the left

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160809/cd3f444869dad60e8cdc2475f440dc89.png

I can go dig through box scores and what not but I'm pretty damn sure no other team even came close to what UNI did in the playoffs. Outside of the kick off return for a TD to start the second half NDSU did nearly nothing to assert dominance over UNI.

NDSU averaged one half of a yard more per play for the game. That's it. Neither team didn't **** on offense. Both teams were under 270 yards of total offense.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160809/f2e6f0e08cb8b3f53341000559aa50c0.png

The UNI team that took the field in the playoffs vs EIU, PSU and NDSU would have done everything NDSU did to JSU to JSU.

It's a god damn shame that was a quarter final game.

BisonTru
August 8th, 2016, 08:53 PM
We were leaning too heavy on Wentz and UNI and USD were two good examples. He lead us to a win over UNI, but couldn't get it done with a broken wrist against USD. Although we were a missed reception by Vraa that he simply just slipped on the comeback that would have kept the last drive alive.

This team needed to get back to Bison football (run the ball, play great D), and they did in a big way. Then after this team had grown into what it was pre-championship game we were able to plug in one of the best quarterbacks in the nation. Pull all the stats you want. I watched this team and watched Wentz. I knew in the first couple throws JSU didn't have a shot, and that's not a knock on them. UNI would have got destroyed in Frisco against NDSU. Obviously JMO, but "UNI would have destroyed JSU" is also just an opinion.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I'm sure adding the second best quarterback in the nation (FBS included) isn't going to open up the running game. xrolleyesx See this however you'd like. I knew how we were playing as a team, and after seeing Wentz throw his first couple passes I knew the game was over. You folks can believe Wentz had little effect, but adding one of the best quarterbacks to ever play in this division is a game changer. Like I said nobody faced the team JSU did.

As far as Sam Houston. They got destroyed. Maybe if that game is played 10 times they only lose that bad once, but they probably lose 10 out of 10. Many folks on this board have the Bearcats above the Gamecocks. JMO, but I think this board is a little low on JSU, and some of their fans optimism is coming off as unreasonable homerism. However, how I see it they have some reasons to be excited coming into the season.

You spelled Bearkats wrong.

The rest, I give you some credit here and there but don't trust your take on it too much. Not trying to be offensive about it, I just said previously if I were putting money on it last year I would have put it on UNI. If you would have put it on JSU then I would have probably enjoyed your money very much.xthumbsupx

BisonTru
August 8th, 2016, 09:55 PM
You spelled Bearkats wrong.

The rest, I give you some credit here and there but don't trust your take on it too much. Not trying to be offensive about it, I just said previously if I were putting money on it last year I would have put it on UNI. If you would have put it on JSU then I would have probably enjoyed your money very much.xthumbsupx

Thanks for the edit. I sometimes forget how its spelled. When your mascot is just a made-up thing that fuses two other animals together I suppose you can spell it however the hell you want. xdrunkyx Manbarepig.

UNI destroyed JSU.
JSU destroyed SHSU.

One of these games actually happened and it seems many have forgot. One of these games never happened, but many folks on this board have somehow convinced themselves it did. xcoolx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the edit. I sometimes forget how its spelled. When your mascot is just a made-up thing that fuses two other animals together I suppose you can spell it however the hell you want. xdrunkyx Manbarepig.

UNI destroyed JSU.
JSU destroyed SHSU.

One of these games actually happened and it seems many have forgot. One of these games never happened, but many folks on this board have somehow convinced themselves it did. xcoolx

Did I say anything about destroyed? I said I'd be spending your money and I could be wrong, but I doubt it. They were both very good teams, just not good enough and so...the debate.

geaux_sioux
August 8th, 2016, 10:40 PM
You're talking about one game. I'm talking about a body of work. Historically we own the loaf.

BisonTru
August 8th, 2016, 10:57 PM
Did I say anything about destroyed? I said I'd be spending your money and I could be wrong, but I doubt it. They were both very good teams, just not good enough and so...the debate.

Never said you said "destroyed," but it's been uttered by many on this board. Ever since the championship game, it's been a thought by many on here that NDSU exposed them for what they are. That's not fair. Nobody faced that team, and nobody would have fared any better. We had one of two of the best teams in the country and then we got to add iirc the highest drafted FCS player ever.

Initially this started as little friendly reminder that the JSU guys don't get too heavy on the kool aid, but really this time of year we see everyone getting excited about their potential. Just my two cents, but they don't come off anymore homerish as any of the other fanbases. FWIW, Clenz stated UNI would have done what NDSU did to JSU had they played. Not only do I disagree with that, it comes off a bit more homerish than the JSU guys "we'll see" comments.

chattownmocs
August 8th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Jacksonville state was a great team, last year. About half of it, and the majority of it before the playoffs, was because of their defense. The refusal for anyone to acknowledge how much it has been gutted and how it is going to be absolutely impossible to reach anywhere near the level they were at last year or even the year before, is shocking. They don't have that defensive front anymore, not even a shell of it. They return one db, 1 lb, and 1 de.

If Eli Jenkins is the guy who played against chattanooga, Charleston southern, and sam houston, I'll congratulate him. But unless he was playing austin peay or tennessee tech, he never was before that.

JSUSoutherner
August 8th, 2016, 11:38 PM
Jacksonville state was a great team, last year. About half of it, and the majority of it before the playoffs, was because of their defense. The refusal for anyone to acknowledge how much it has been gutted and how it is going to be absolutely impossible to reach anywhere near the level they were at last year or even the year before, is shocking. They don't have that defensive front anymore, not even a shell of it. They return one db, 1 lb, and 1 de.

If Eli Jenkins is the guy who played against chattanooga, Charleston southern, and sam houston, I'll congratulate him. But unless he was playing austin peay or tennessee tech, he never was before that.
xcoffeex

mvemjsunpx
August 9th, 2016, 12:46 AM
xcoffeex

He's got a point. JSU looks like a good team & the favorite in the OVC, but not a realistic title contender.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2016, 01:01 AM
Never said you said "destroyed," but it's been uttered by many on this board. Ever since the championship game, it's been a thought by many on here that NDSU exposed them for what they are. That's not fair. Nobody faced that team, and nobody would have fared any better. We had one of two of the best teams in the country and then we got to add iirc the highest drafted FCS player ever.

Initially this started as little friendly reminder that the JSU guys don't get too heavy on the kool aid, but really this time of year we see everyone getting excited about their potential. Just my two cents, but they don't come off anymore homerish as any of the other fanbases. FWIW, Clenz stated UNI would have done what NDSU did to JSU had they played. Not only do I disagree with that, it comes off a bit more homerish than the JSU guys "we'll see" comments.

I'm not defending what another person said. I am the one you were quoting, so I assumed I was the one you meant the comment for. I don't give two ****s really but just as everyone else, I gots an opinion on it. As I said earlier, it's gotten a bit worse so it is time for pushback, that is all it is. BTW, nobody on here has gotten more pushback than clenzy has from me over the years with some of his stuff. xlolx

JSUSoutherner
August 9th, 2016, 05:14 AM
He's got a point. JSU looks like a good team & the favorite in the OVC, but not a realistic title contender.
xcoffeex

UNIFanSince1983
August 9th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Who knows what would have happened had UNI played JSU last year. We will never get to find out what team would have destroyed the other.

Here is one thing I know for sure. We played 2 games in FARGO against NDSU last year and lost by 13 combined points. JSU played 1 game against NDSU in FRISCO (not FARGO) and lost by 27. Now anyone can say what they want, but those are facts. Does that actually mean anything? Of course not because UNI never got to play JSU.

In the end I wouldn't have UNI ranked as high as we are yet due to what we lost on the backside of our defense. However, I do know by the end of the season if Bailey and Smith run like they did toward the end last year, and Schult and crew up front are getting pressure that we have a chance to be just as good if not better than last year. A real offensive identity from the beginning of the season on would help.

dewey
August 9th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Here is one thing I know for sure. We played 2 games in FARGO against NDSU last year and lost by 13 combined points. JSU played 1 game against NDSU in FRISCO (not FARGO) and lost by 27.

Frisco is commonly referred to as Fargo South:D

Here is Dom Izzo's (Bison Media Blog poster and WDAY TV sports director) STATS top 25 preseason poll.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/doms-preseason-poll-for-2016/

Dewey

BisonBacker
August 9th, 2016, 08:32 AM
You're talking about one game. I'm talking about a body of work. Historically we own the loaf.

You're still here? You guys haven't been relevant in anything but a niche sport. You are funny though....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23154&stc=1

clenz
August 9th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Who knows what would have happened had UNI played JSU last year. We will never get to find out what team would have destroyed the other.

Here is one thing I know for sure. We played 2 games in FARGO against NDSU last year and lost by 13 combined points. JSU played 1 game against NDSU in FRISCO (not FARGO) and lost by 27. Now anyone can say what they want, but those are facts. Does that actually mean anything? Of course not because UNI never got to play JSU.

In the end I wouldn't have UNI ranked as high as we are yet due to what we lost on the backside of our defense. However, I do know by the end of the season if Bailey and Smith run like they did toward the end last year, and Schult and crew up front are getting pressure that we have a chance to be just as good if not better than last year. A real offensive identity from the beginning of the season on would help.
I too, am quite concerned about what we lost in the secondary. However, when was the last time Farley had a bad defense? Go back to Deiondre Hall's freshman year - he played 11 games. The DB's we had on the field with him were really freaking good and we didn't think 2013's DBs would be able to replace them -
Varmah Sonie - prone to dumb taunting penalties but was a 1st Team All Conference CB. Started something like 32 games and played in 42 or 43 for his career
Garrett Scott - multi time all conference seltion, played in something like 45 games in his career and started about 38
Wilmont Wellington - converted RB that become a damn hammer at strong safety. in his 2 years on the team he played in every game. Lead team in total and solo tackles, picks, forced fumbles as a senior

Those three all graduated that year.
In stepped Tim Kilfoy, Deiondre Hall, Makinton Dorleant and Tate Omli/Ray Mitchell at the other safety spot opposite Kilfoy.

Go back to the DBs before Sonie, Scott, Welington...we never thought we'd see a group like that when we had to replace Quentin Scott, Andrew Martin, Terrell Mcbride, and Tredarius Canady.

Same thought for the guys before that - Darrell Loyd, Adam Roberts, Chris Parsons, the McMoore brothers (Terrell and Sean).

Talent wise, on paper, the guys lining up in the secondary are going to be good. It's if they fit the scheme.

I don't like transfers but UNI brought 4 FBS transfers in for the secondary this year
Tyrell Lyons - 4* transfer from Florida State that was scout team MVP as a redshirt, played in 11 games as a rfreshman and was a starter going into last year before losing the season to a knee injury
Malcolm Washington - Played 2 years at Fresno state and played in all 26 games over those two years including about half of those as starts after playing WR in HS.
Emmett Lynch - Northern Illinois - red-shirted in 14 and didn't play last year...probably doesn't play this year
Elija Campbell - Northern Illinois - played in 13 games at Safety last season after plaing for JUCO Power Iowa Western as a freshman

A kid from Nebraska has been on the roster a few years that likely plays...a lot....this year in DJ Singleton. He was part of the trio of high school teammates out of NJ that all transferred in to UNI together and he's the only one with eligibility left.
Ray Buchannan Jr came in from Arkansas after his freshman year 3 years ago. He's played in 26 games for UNI.

Farley saw this coming. We have 21 defensive backs on the roster. The transfers are here to fill for the next two years. There are 7 true freshman DBs on the roster right now. 2 redshirt freshman, and 4 sophomores. Yep, 13 of the 21 DBs have a minimum of 3 years left on campus. I'm good with transfers to fill a hole while depth builds, and that's what UNI did in the secondary. We, from the sound of it, may see a true freshman start at CB anyway according to Farley...I'd bet it's Isaiah Nimers out of Cedar Rapids. Kid was a stud. Loved watching him in high school. I live in the CR area and his highlights were all over the TV with about 7 of their games on TV. He was one of the best DBs in the state, but his height kept him out of IC or Ames. If he was 5'11 instead of 5'9 he wouldn't be at UNI right now. He had Iowa, Arkansas, Iowa State, Minnesota and North Carolina sniffing him out pretty hard but his height was a hold up for them.

Given how fast the DL is going to get a QB most times I think the secondary will have a bit of margin for error early on.

For the first time in years I'm not worried about our offensive identity. There has been no "qb battle" since week 7 last season. No battle through camp. No 4 QBs splitting first team reps, no new offensive coordinator trying to put a system in Farley isn't comfortable with. There are co-OC's but they are UNI guys from the "good ol days". Bill Salmon was "the man" during the Petrie, Sanders and Grace era running the offense. Verduzco took over in 2010...notice what happened. Salmon wants to get under center and power run with throws over the top. The other is Ryan Mahaffey who played under Salmon in the late 00s. He was a key offensive assistant at Notre Dame the last few years and was a multi time All MVFC tight end.

I'm cautiously very optimistic about this year....assuming Bailey stays healthy.

BigSouthFan
August 9th, 2016, 09:00 AM

Typical post from a Citadel fan. 4 wins in a row from Chuck South hurts bad don't it?

Now if we get unbiased here, a loss @ North Dakota State, unless it's 60-0, does not mean CSU is misranked at #7. Let's set aside being a fan of the better team on the other side of the city and talk football here, eh? You know, like when the #1 team plays the #4 team, the #4 team loses, and they drop to what, #5? Same thing here. Wins in the FargoDome are few and far in between.

As for Liberty, I agree to disagree. They caught fire (somewhat) late with a Coastal win, but that's also coming off a CSU loss and of course CSU beat Coastal as well (seeing a trend here?).

Heads are ready to roll at Samford after a 6-5 season with NO quality wins yet including wins over VMI, Mercer, a MEAC team, and CLARK ATLANTA for Pete's sake. So again, in what dimension do you watch football?

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 9th, 2016, 09:17 AM
You're still here? You guys haven't been relevant in anything but a niche sport. You are funny though....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23154&stc=1

With such an easy schedule for UND, both teams could end up seeing each other this post season. Although UND most likely will stumble against a team or two that they should beat.

Santiago would get killed in the Valley week in and out. 175 lb RB is fine in the Big Sky.

F'N Hawks
August 9th, 2016, 09:29 AM
With such an easy schedule for UND, both teams could end up seeing each other this post season. Although UND most likely will stumble against a team or two that they should beat.

Santiago would get killed in the Valley week in and out. 175 lb RB is fine in the Big Sky.

Without a doubt. Literally killed.

BisonTru
August 9th, 2016, 12:16 PM

Bull ****. That team was in the title game last year. Folks on here can believe whatever they want. There was only DII teams on that side of the bracket. xrolleyesx Sam Houston St. had a really bad day. xrolleyesx Carson Wentz had little to no effect on the championship game. xrolleyesx

ChattyKathy has a point. They do lose a lot from that defense, but dismissing from national contention isn't fair. They're in a slippery spot in my poll (I have them at 3). If their defense starts looking suspect they'll drop quickly. However, I'm not convinced they're not reloading and may make another run. Folks can get their panties jumbled that the JSU guys are optimistic, but they have some damn good reasons to be in that camp.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Bull ****. That team was in the title game last year. Folks on here can believe whatever they want. There was only DII teams on that side of the bracket. xrolleyesx Sam Houston St. had a really bad day. xrolleyesx Carson Wentz had little to no effect on the championship game. xrolleyesx

ChattyKathy has a point. They do lose a lot from that defense, but dismissing from national contention isn't fair. They're in a slippery spot in my poll (I have them at 3). If their defense starts looking suspect they'll drop quickly. However, I'm not convinced they're not reloading and may make another run. Folks can get their panties jumbled that the JSU guys are optimistic, but they have some damn good reasons to be in that camp.

Like it or not, you are the only one that has been uptight over this.

BisonTru
August 9th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Like it or not, you are the only one that has been uptight over this.

Doesn't mean I'm wrong, and obviously there's a few other folks that don't believe JSU isn't in the national title conversation or they'd be much lower in our poll. Just like you feel there needs to be some push back on the JSU homerism, I think there's some warranted push back the other direction.

clenz
August 9th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Without a doubt. Literally killed.
Shakir Bell didn't last, and he could have been an NFL roster guy if not for a massive fall out with the coaching staff leading to him being dismissed. He was 5'8 185.

He was an All American, 2nd in the WP voting, etc... but by the time the carries in conference mounted his body was toast

The hit that took him out of the UNI game one year was just...probably a big hit for a normal size back. Maybe a series ender for the back. That ended his day in a second. I think he missed the next week from it.

He got a ton of yards because he had like a 6-7 ypc average, but his carries were kept low. The year he ran for nealry 1,700 yards he only had like 250 total carries.

Outside of Zach Zenner not many guys can carry 25-30 times a week and live in the MVFC.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Doesn't mean I'm wrong, and obviously there's a few other folks that don't believe JSU isn't in the national title conversation or they'd be much lower in our poll. Just like you feel there needs to be some push back on the JSU homerism, I think there's some warranted push back the other direction.

Somebody implied you were wrong? The nerve!

I don't know if you are wrong, I ain't making big claims one way or the other so it don't matter much to me.

I'm just happy that more than a week later we can still be arguing things on this thread. xlolx

geaux_sioux
August 9th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Shakir Bell didn't last, and he could have been an NFL roster guy if not for a massive fall out with the coaching staff leading to him being dismissed. He was 5'8 185.

He was an All American, 2nd in the WP voting, etc... but by the time the carries in conference mounted his body was toast

The hit that took him out of the UNI game one year was just...probably a big hit for a normal size back. Maybe a series ender for the back. That ended his day in a second. I think he missed the next week from it.

He got a ton of yards because he had like a 6-7 ypc average, but his carries were kept low. The year he ran for nealry 1,700 yards he only had like 250 total carries.

Outside of Zach Zenner not many guys can carry 25-30 times a week and live in the MVFC.

Santiago had a knack for minimizing contact when he gets tackled. I've yet to see anyone really pop him. Wear and tear on him is different than other backs since his vision is so good and he's so slippery. As long as he has a halfway competent OL in front of him he would succeed in any league.

BisonTru
August 9th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Somebody implied you were wrong? The nerve!

I don't know if you are wrong, I ain't making big claims one way or the other so it don't matter much to me.

I'm just happy that more than a week later we can still be arguing things on this thread. xlolx

Meh, I can't really be wrong. My point from the get go has been JSU could be a title contender. Not that they will or won't.

We still need to hammer out who's the 28 mythical starters returning for the Bearkitties squad that impressed everyone in Jacksonville. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Meh, I can't really be wrong. My point from the get go has been JSU could be a title contender. Not that they will or won't.

We still need to hammer out who's the 28 mythical starters returning for the Bearkitties squad that impressed everyone in Jacksonville. xlolx

Yeah, it's funny cuz that is exactly what I have seen everyone saying, just from a slightly different perspective.

IBleedYellow
August 9th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Santiago had a knack for minimizing contact when he gets tackled. I've yet to see anyone really pop him. Wear and tear on him is different than other backs since his vision is so good and he's so slippery. As long as he has a halfway competent OL in front of him he would succeed in any league.

Wait wait wait.

The back that had an entire 7 yards against NDSU is going to somehow light up the Valley?

I just don't see it, sorry man. He is tiny - if he has to play the valley schedule for a year he's toast. NDSU fans thought we knew it all when we came into the Gateway in 2008.

Maybe you'd learn one day, but since you're not coming into the league, you won't know.

BisonTru
August 9th, 2016, 01:26 PM
but not a realistic title contender.

The UNI team that took the field in the playoffs vs EIU, PSU and NDSU would have done everything NDSU did to JSU to JSU.

Yeah, it's funny cuz that is exactly what I have seen everyone saying, just from a slightly different perspective.

xcoolx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2016, 01:31 PM
xcoolx

I was specifically thinking of mvem when I posted that one.

I couldn't read all clenzy's cuz I didn't have the time but I was pretty sure he would have something like that in there as well.

I can not believe you did not grab a chattown post though. xlolx

JSUSoutherner
August 9th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I was specifically thinking of mvem when I posted that one.

I couldn't read all clenzy's cuz I didn't have the time but I was pretty sure he would have something like that in there as well.

I can not believe you did not grab a chattown post though. xlolx
Chattown's post was gold. xnodx

geaux_sioux
August 9th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Wait wait wait.

The back that had an entire 7 yards against NDSU is going to somehow light up the Valley?

I just don't see it, sorry man. He is tiny - if he has to play the valley schedule for a year he's toast. NDSU fans thought we knew it all when we came into the Gateway in 2008.

Maybe you'd learn one day, but since you're not coming into the league, you won't know.
I'm not sure what's so tough to grasp for NDSU fans that a true FR RB had a couple off games early in his first year of college football. Things clicked for him the next game and he didn't look back. People seem to think Zenner was pretty good and he had a 4 yard game against NDSU. I guess Santiago is almost twice as good as Zenner by that standard.

FearTheBeak
August 9th, 2016, 01:39 PM
In the end, all the trash talk that happens on these forums about how good we think some teams are, will stay just as that. More than likely
we will take care of business in the first month of the season, and honestly run through our conference,(because as you all make us painfully aware of, our conference is garbage right now), we will
likely be a higher seed come playoff time, and likely play the same group of teams as you would expect. So, there isn't really any point of putting a possible UNI vs JSU game under the microscope, like it is actually going to happen(we can hope).xrotatehx

clenz
August 9th, 2016, 01:41 PM
because as you all make us painfully aware of, our conference is garbage right now)
That's not just a "right now".

The OVC is at it's high water mark for the last 30 years or so...not that that's a real high point in national relativity.

Thumper 76
August 9th, 2016, 01:45 PM

That was really what made ZZ so impressive was the load he carried for years without stopping.

FearTheBeak
August 9th, 2016, 01:47 PM
That's not just a "right now".

The OVC is at it's high water mark for the last 30 years or so...not that that's a real high point in national relativity.

Right, there is always a chance things could be looking up for the conference, maybe if EIU gets back to 2013 level of play, and EKU finally decides to be as good as they can be, I would say that the OVC would be a solid conference. I also don't think that is impossible.

Thumper 76
August 9th, 2016, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure what's so tough to grasp for NDSU fans that a true FR RB had a couple off games early in his first year of college football. Things clicked for him the next game and he didn't look back. People seem to think Zenner was pretty good and he had a 4 yard game against NDSU. I guess Santiago is almost twice as good as Zenner by that standard.

I think the larger point is at 185 lbs you won't be able to last like a Zenner did. I don't care how great you are at slipping contact and avoiding big hits. You need some beef to absorb the beating over time.

F'N Hawks
August 9th, 2016, 01:50 PM
I think the larger point is at 185 lbs you won't be able to last like a Zenner did. I don't care how great you are at slipping contact and avoiding big hits. You need some beef to absorb the beating over time.

Probably wouldn't, which is why teams use more than one RB. Trying to use one RB all year in the MVFC is straight manslaughter. Maybe even homicide.