PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina: only 1 FBS game per year starting in 2018

catamount man
July 31st, 2016, 07:13 AM
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/sports/2016/07/28/catamounts-wont-have-play-2-fbs-teams-after-2017/87656828/

We took some lumps but increasing out of state scholarships from 19 (when Speir arrived) to 42 out of 63 max is remarkable. That SEC money helped and it's starting to pay off on the field. GO CATS!xthumbsupx

dgtw
July 31st, 2016, 07:39 AM
Glad they have turned it around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
July 31st, 2016, 08:00 AM
Hopefully we see you guys in the playoffs this year. I'm still hoping for a POTM/ Southerners halftime show.

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2016, 09:14 AM
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/sports/2016/07/28/catamounts-wont-have-play-2-fbs-teams-after-2017/87656828/

We took some lumps but increasing out of state scholarships from 19 (when Speir arrived) to 42 out of 63 max is remarkable. That SEC money helped and it's starting to pay off on the field. GO CATS!xthumbsupx

Hopefully they get rolling well enough they can get to 63 schollys!

catamount man
July 31st, 2016, 12:46 PM
Hopefully they get rolling well enough they can get to 63 schollys! Oh no, we're at 63 total schollies but 42 are out of state and we want to get it at 45. With WCU so close to the Atlanta metro-area, it pays off. Western NC is not well known for high school football. There are a few teams but most are in small towns and those kids usually go d2 or d3. A few have come to WCU and contributed but not much. WCU HAS to recruit the Atlanta area.

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2016, 12:47 PM
Hopefully they get rolling well enough they can get to 63 schollys!

I think they do & have had 63 schollies. They just, I believe, apparently, have a self-imposed (by the school) restriction as to how those can be allotted to in-state vs. out-of-state football student athletes. From the numbers cited, it seems they previously had to allot a minimum of 44 schollies to NC residents only, but now only have to allot 21 to 'native Tarheels.' With the fertile recruiting ground of Metro Atlanta, GA only about 2 hours due south of Cullowhee, that change opens up a much larger talent pool to the Catamounts.

I'm sure the Purple & Gold Faithful will not hesitate to correct me if I've misinterpreted the prior post and/or facts of the matter.

EDIT: LOL - looks like I need to type faster!

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2016, 01:21 PM
Oh no, we're at 63 total schollies but 42 are out of state and we want to get it at 45. With WCU so close to the Atlanta metro-area, it pays off. Western NC is not well known for high school football. There are a few teams but most are in small towns and those kids usually go d2 or d3. A few have come to WCU and contributed but not much. WCU HAS to recruit the Atlanta area.

Ahhhh I gotcha. That makes sense.

SU DOG
July 31st, 2016, 01:35 PM
Hopefully we see you guys in the playoffs this year. I'm still hoping for a POTM/ Southerners halftime show.

I can say I have enjoyed the halftime show at Cullowhee many times. That is by FAR the best band in the SoCon and one of the best in FCS. However, I have also had kin in the Marching Southerners, and that band is just on another level from anything I have ever seen in the FCS. Believe me, they are better than many in the SEC. OUCH! Tongue pain - hurts to say anything good, even when it is factual, about the Yardbirds.

catamount man
July 31st, 2016, 03:25 PM
I think they do & have had 63 schollies. They just, I believe, apparently, have a self-imposed (by the school) restriction as to how those can be allotted to in-state vs. out-of-state football student athletes. From the numbers cited, it seems they previously had to allot a minimum of 44 schollies to NC residents only, but now only have to allot 21 to 'native Tarheels.' With the fertile recruiting ground of Metro Atlanta, GA only about 2 hours due south of Cullowhee, that change opens up a much larger talent pool to the Catamounts.

I'm sure the Purple & Gold Faithful will not hesitate to correct me if I've misinterpreted the prior post and/or facts of the matter.

LOL! Nah, you nailed it. GO CATS!

JSUSoutherner
July 31st, 2016, 03:34 PM
I can say I have enjoyed the halftime show at Cullowhee many times. That is by FAR the best band in the SoCon and one of the best in FCS. However, I have also had kin in the Marching Southerners, and that band is just on another level from anything I have ever seen in the FCS. Believe me, they are better than many in the SEC. OUCH! Tongue pain - hurts to say anything good, even when it is factual, about the Yardbirds.
SEC bands are hot garbage.

tenNesseeCat
August 1st, 2016, 08:15 AM
SEC bands are hot garbage.

I'm no music person, but I thought UT was in that category. I sat on the first row for that game, and they looked and sounded sloppy from top to bottom.

Catamount87
August 1st, 2016, 12:38 PM

FUBeAR, you hit the nail on the head.

What will also help is the new NC Promise Tuition Plan that was passed last month with the state budget. It caps per semester in-state tuition at $500 and out of state at $2500 at WCU beginning in the fall 2018. This means the overall annual cost of attending WCU drops roughly $3,000 for in-state students and $9,300 for out of state students. (Side note, this is tuition only, fees and room and board aren't included in the reductions. No, they aren't going up either.) No two ways about it, this will help out of state recruiting, eg the Atlanta metro area, in a big way. It also helps us compete against border states that give in state tuition waivers to students in the bordering NC counties. TN is very aggressive about recruiting students and athletes in the border counties of NC, VA, SC and GA.

PAllen
August 1st, 2016, 01:15 PM
Glad your bills are about paid. Two every year is a bit rough.

catamount man
August 1st, 2016, 07:14 PM
Glad your bills are about paid. Two every year is a bit rough.
Yes indeed. I used to say the worm had to turn someday. Glad it's here. GO CATS!