PDA

View Full Version : Famous/infamous plays in your team's history?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 22nd, 2006, 02:30 PM
Just a few that would probably make the list of most GSU fans...

"The catch" This play capped a big 38 point rally in the last 23 minutes or so in game time that gave GSU the win over Furman in the 1985 national championship.

"The Run" probably the second most famous play in CS history. From the 1999 national championship with YSU. Wow:eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVLoFWZA7s

"Son of the Run" In the 2000 championship Montana came from 17 points behind to go ahead in the second half and when it looked like the GSU offense was out of steam and was pretty much figured out by the Griz, Adrian Peterson comes up with a 57 yard touchdown which gave us the lead and turned out to be the winning touchdown.

In the 2002 semi-finals GSU's Jermaine Austin made a 32 yard touchdown run late in the 4th quarter which capped a 17-point 4th quarter comeback. We lost the game against Western Kentucky who managed to squeak one more touchdown in but I don't think any eagle fan will forget the feeling they had after JA made that touchdown.

Most infamous:

The most infamous would probably be the fumble that occured deep in Furman territory that arguably cost us the 1988 national championship.

ASU Kep
December 22nd, 2006, 02:42 PM
"The Miracle on the Mountain" - Furman 2pt conversion attempt returned for ASU score in '02 to clinch the win.

Jason Hunter's fumble return that got us the '05 National Championship.

Ingle Martin slipping on his way into a wide open endzone at KBS in '05, helping us get to Chatty.

Appguy
December 22nd, 2006, 02:43 PM
"Miracle on the Mountain" for us
Check it out on Youtube

Flintstone
December 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
The Pitch - There is a link on Bisonville.com

AggieFinn
December 22nd, 2006, 03:05 PM
Here's a real miracle...

November 6, 1971: With 44 seconds left in the fourth, UC Davis starts the first of two scoring drives to overcome a 29-14 deficit against Cal State Hayward. After closing the gap to 29-22 on a successful TD and two-point conversion, the Aggies recover a Hayward on-side kick attempt with only 15 seconds remaining. UCD’s Mike Bellotti, now head coach at Oregon, scores on the final play from scrimmage to make the score 29-28. QB Bob Biggs completes to Mike Everly, who dives for a successful two-point conversion to give UC-Davis the 30-29 verdict in “The Miracle Minute” game.

http://ucdavismagazine.ucdavis.edu/issues/win06/graphics/Biggs.jpg

Ole' Bellotti coulda used one of those last night agianst BYU. Ugly Ducklings in Vegas.

As for infamous -- One Word -- Bloomsburg. : smh :

mcveyrl
December 22nd, 2006, 03:13 PM
Maybe not famous to anybody but me (I guess it's not really famous, then), but when Alex Wood was the coach here (I think it was against Richmond) we were kicking off to start the second half.

As the kicker approached the ball, he fell down. As the UR players stood upright (and tried to keep from laughing) somebody on the kick line ran up, punched the ball 10 yards and recovered the kick. It was all planned!! It was great!!

Almost nobody in the stands saw what happened because our heads were in our hands in embarrassment.

BTW, in true Alex Wood style, the third string QB was put in and promptly threw an interception. But it was still one of the most memorable JMU plays I can think of.

EDIT: If anybody could find a video of this I'd love to see it.

back2back
December 22nd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Armanti Edwards taking his first snap as a starter against Mars Hill.:nod:

Chi Panther
December 22nd, 2006, 04:08 PM
no link.....but back in 95 or 96....Jeff Stovall RB for UNI was up for an ESPY for a catch he made coming out of the back field......pretty sweet.....he tipped it with one hand....and the ball rolled across his shoulders, behind his head.....and caught with his other hand!

Just a routine play!!!!!!:D

Another one I rember was back in 97....playing McNeese St.....they got Cecil "the diesel" Collins from LSU....and his first I-AA carry against UNI....was speered by our FS and knocked his helmet clean off. I'm sure the trash from our FS was....."Welcome to I-AA"!!!!!!

BigApp
December 22nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
hoisting the trophies...:D

ASU Kep
December 22nd, 2006, 05:11 PM

nah, the streaker. xlolx

patssle
December 22nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
SHSU going 75 yards in 8 plays with no timeouts in 43 seconds to win the game to advance to the semi-finals. One of the best comebacks ever!

FurmanPaladins4138
December 22nd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Furman is full of tormentuously infamous plays in our history. The Debacle (so called "miracle") on the Mountain, Ingle Martin slipping in the semis last year is my personal worst recurring nightmare.

mistersykes
December 22nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Furman is full of tormentuously infamous plays in our history. The Debacle (so called "miracle") on the Mountain, Ingle Martin slipping in the semis last year is my personal worst recurring nightmare.

I watched that happen. It was pretty ridiculous.

Sir William
December 22nd, 2006, 10:25 PM

I was at both games, and I'm still in therapy b/c of it.

ngineer
December 22nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
How's this one: In 1918, Lehigh's Raymond "Snooks" Dowd ran the wrong-way into his own endzone, circled the goalposts (that back then were on the goalline) and then completed a 115-yard touchdown run! With all the weaving and cut-backs reported, the actual run covered approximately 160 yards!!. 'Snooks' went on to play pro baseball with the Detroit Tigers, Philadelphia A's, and Brooklyn Dodgers. Oh yes, the topper is that this occured against, who else, Lafayette and the, then, Brown & White won 17-0.

Freightliner
December 22nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
I am rather surprised no one has brought this one up yet (especially the UNI folks)

how bout "The Nealdown" :nonono2: :nonono2:

grayghost06
December 22nd, 2006, 11:51 PM
Somebody from CCU certainly needs to bring up the bonehead play that cost them the game against Chuck South last year.

JoltinJoe
December 23rd, 2006, 06:39 AM
Fordham's goal-line stand against Pitt in the game on October 31, 1936 became one of the most famous goal-line stands in football history. The Seven Blocks of Granite (played two ways back then) stopped Pitt and its great All American, Marshall Goldberg, on four successive plays from the two-yard line, preserving the second straight 0-0 tie between the teams. (The teams also played to a 0-0 tie in 1937 -- three straight 0-0 ties in a series called "Much Ado About Nothing").

The following day, Grantland Rice lionized the "Seven Blocks" with a well-known poem published in papers all across America and one of college football's most enduring legends was born:

Great, mghty Minnesota fell upon a fateful day;
Both Yale and Army felt the axe and tossed their crowns away.
Big Holy Cross, an early boss, hears no more winning bands;
Yes, strange things happened everywhere, but the Fordham wall still stands.

Once Carthage ruled an ancient coast but where is Carthage now?
The Grecian Phalanx no more wears the winning olive bough.
And where is Persia's ruling host that ruled all warring lands?
Their day is done by sand and sun, but the Fordham wall still stands.

Who took the brutal thrust of SMU and rolled its charges back?
Who stood the Gaels upon their heels and broke up their attack?
Who held young Goldberg at the line with willing hearts and hands?
The answer rings from coast to coast: the Fordham will still stands.

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
In the 90s we were playing WIU (I think). We scored the go ahead TD. When we went to kick the extra point it was blocked and returned for a safety for the win. If I remember right it was the last game of the season and lost us the Gateway.

Last years INT against TX St in OT was nice.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 23rd, 2006, 09:06 AM

Okay, let me edit this for you:

Chancellor Peacock hoisting the trophies....

Now, that's better:thumbsup:

JackTwice
December 23rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
The Pitch - There is a link on Bisonville.com

Hey Flintstone, is that the Jeff Bentrim Horizontal pitch? If it is you should post a link here. That guy was sick. I would say that the old guard GSU folks would appreciate that. (NDSU used to run the triple option).

After this season with three last minute comebacks against McNeese, Cal Poly and UC Davis it would be hard to pick one but I'd have to go back to our first year in I-AA when we beat NDSU in our house on a fourth down touchdown pass that our receiver broke three tackles to get into the endzone.

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2006, 09:34 AM
After this season with three last minute comebacks against McNeese, Cal Poly and UC Davis it would be hard to pick one but I'd have to go back to our first year in I-AA when we beat NDSU in our house on a fourth down touchdown pass that our receiver broke three tackles to get into the endzone.

Any video of that play?

UNH SUPERFAN
December 23rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
Famous play: Against Delaware this year Ricky Santos lets a high snap go over his head, picks the ball up, gets hit but keeps going, flips an impossible lateral/pass to option man Kackert who gets hit, spins around an runs it into the endzone. One of the most incredible plays I've ever seen at any level. I've watched the replay a million times.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2006, 11:28 AM
Fordham's goal-line stand against Pitt in the game on October 31, 1936 became one of the most famous goal-line stands in football history. The Seven Blocks of Granite (played two ways back then) stopped Pitt and its great All American, Marshall Goldberg, on four successive plays from the two-yard line, preserving the second straight 0-0 tie between the teams. (The teams also played to a 0-0 tie in 1937 -- three straight 0-0 ties in a series called "Much Ado About Nothing").

The following day, Grantland Rice lionized the "Seven Blocks" with a well-known poem published in papers all across America and one of college football's most enduring legends was born:

Yes, Joltin' one of sports all-time poems. Unfortunately, it brought back memories of our ill-fated goal line stand against James Madison in the first round to the playoffs in 2004. Leading 13-7, Lehigh held JMU on four successive shots into the line from the one--except on the fouth attempt an exuberant Lehigh defensive lineman jumped up with his arms overhead and bumped a JMU player--an official flagged him for unsportsmanlike conduct and gave JMU another set of plays--whereupon the Dukes finally scored on the 3rd play of the second series--So you had the Seven Blocks of Granite and we had the Seven Shots from the One...:bawling: ;)

SeattleGriz
December 23rd, 2006, 11:45 AM
This is a famous play from 2004 when Montana played Hofstra. It is the second play on the highlight clip.

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2005_2006_an/Media/Football/2004_Audio_V/hofstra_second_half.wmv

LehighFan11
December 23rd, 2006, 12:40 PM
Yes, Joltin' one of sports all-time poems. Unfortunately, it brought back memories of our ill-fated goal line stand against James Madison in the first round to the playoffs in 2004. Leading 13-7, Lehigh held JMU on four successive shots into the line from the one--except on the fouth attempt an exuberant Lehigh defensive lineman jumped up with his arms overhead and bumped a JMU player--an official flagged him for unsportsmanlike conduct and gave JMU another set of plays--whereupon the Dukes finally scored on the 3rd play of the second series--So you had the Seven Blocks of Granite and we had the Seven Shots from the One...:bawling: ;)
that series was such bullcrap.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 23rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
The Cortez Thompson 80+ punt return to score the winning points against Delaware in 2004... launching the post season run for the championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8fqhHE5zaE

(I'll shamelessly say I'm in the video celebrating in the endzone... :o )

mainejeff
December 23rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
For Maine: Several kicking attempts.....and we keep adding to the lore with every passing season :mad: :mad: :mad:

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 23rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Oh I forgot the punch to Rascati's face in the NC game that gave us a first down inside the 10... don't have a clip of it though.

FargoBison
December 23rd, 2006, 01:04 PM
Here is a link to "The Pitch"

http://www.bisonville.com/graphx/pitch2.mov

rmutv
December 23rd, 2006, 01:33 PM
No playoff or national championship plays to report. No lengthy history for Robert Morris fans to look back upon.

But there are three recent moments that have been quite breathtaking, all coming during conference matches.

2004. Monmouth at Robert Morris, both teams 2-0. The Battle of the Wideouts. Monmouth's Miles Austin and RMU's Tyjuan Massey go toe to toe, catch for catch. Both snag two TD's. Austin hauls in 5 catches for 144 yards. Massey catches more balls but fewer yards (8/76). With less than three minutes left, Monmouth had a 23-21 lead. Junior QB Drew Geyer engineered an 11 play, 74 yard drive capped by a 14 yard strike to Dante Settles with 23 seconds left to give RMU a 27-23 lead. They missed the two point conversion, but with just 23 seconds left, things still looked bright. Then Brian Boland and the zebras struck. With six seconds left on the clock, Boland lofted a Hail Mary into the endzone. Tim Hiltwine pushed and shoved his way through the endzone, found daylight and caught the 32 yard pass in the endzone for a 29-27 victory.

2006. RMU at Wagner. In the wind and the rain, Robert Morris earns its third straight win by stopping the Seahawks on four straight plays from the 2 yard line to win on the road 14-10. The goalline stand was set up by a controversial pass interference penalty against freshman DB Jacky Candy in the endzone, when video showed WR Chris Turner being the guilty party. Drive capped by Colonials DT Matt Brunck shoving QB Matt Abbey out of bounds at the 3 inch line after Brunck came all the way across the field to make the play.

2006. RMU hosts #19 Central Connecticut State. After losing two straight to start the season, Bobby Mo went on a 4 game winning streak. CCSU had scored 133 points the past two games. Justise Hairston carries the ball 49 times for 266 yards for CCSU, but the Blue Devils can't stop the clock in the final seconds, sending a 17-17 game into OT. After RMU is stopped on their first attempt, Ryan Heeney misses his second field goal of the game, giving RMU new life. CCSU has the first chance in the 2nd OT and freshman DB Jacky Candy picks off an option pass by Hairston in the endzone, giving RMU a chance to upset the Blue Devils. Five plays later, on 3rd and 12, sophomore QB Erik Cwalinski hits junior WR Mario Hines in the corner of the endzone for a 14 yard TD, sending a sellout crowd into mass hysteria.

grizband
December 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Known to Cat and Griz fans as "The Kick"...

During the 16 year streak of Griz victories, the closest the Cats had come to winning was in 1997. This excerpt below is from a 2002 article, right before that years game, the year the Cats finally won.

" The closest Montana State has come to beating the Grizzlies during their 16-game series winning streak was in 1997.

Montana State scored on a 3-yard run by Eric Kinnaman to take a 25-24 lead with 22 seconds remaining, but the 2-point conversion attempt failed.

The ball went out of bounds on the kickoff, giving Montana possession on its 35-yard line. Brian Ah Yat's long completion to Justin Olsen with 8 seconds to play suddenly put the Grizzlies in field-goal position.

Sure enough, Kris Heppner kicked a 37-yard field goal with no time remaining to extend the streak. Montana State players fell on their home field in disbelief. "

http://ncaasports.com/football/mens/story/arc_story/24608

Other infamous moments I have personally witnessed on tv or in person are:

The kick to win our first national title in 1995.
Jimmy Faris catching an overtime touchdown against App. State to send the Griz to Chattanooga in 2000.
Vince Huntsberger's 65 yard run on fake punt with the Griz down 20-9 in the 2000 championship game. Tony Moss described this play as "the slowest-developing act of trickery in college football history,"

Proud Griz Man
December 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
Known to Cat and Griz fans as "The Kick"...

During the 16 year streak of Griz victories, the closest the Cats had come to winning was in 1997. This excerpt below is from a 2002 article, right before that years game, the year the Cats finally won.

" The closest Montana State has come to beating the Grizzlies during their 16-game series winning streak was in 1997.

Montana State scored on a 3-yard run by Eric Kinnaman to take a 25-24 lead with 22 seconds remaining, but the 2-point conversion attempt failed.

The ball went out of bounds on the kickoff, giving Montana possession on its 35-yard line. Brian Ah Yat's long completion to Justin Olsen with 8 seconds to play suddenly put the Grizzlies in field-goal position.

Sure enough, Kris Heppner kicked a 37-yard field goal with no time remaining to extend the streak. Montana State players fell on their home field in disbelief. "

http://ncaasports.com/football/mens/story/arc_story/24608

Other infamous moments I have personally witnessed on tv or in person are:

The kick to win our first national title in 1995.
Jimmy Faris catching an overtime touchdown against App. State to send the Griz to Chattanooga in 2000.
Vince Huntsberger's 65 yard run on fake punt with the Griz down 20-9 in the 2000 championship game. Tony Moss described this play as "the slowest-developing act of trickery in college football history,"

Nygren's ride against Idaho in 1988, snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat.
Damon Parker's theft of Sacramento State's pitch in 2000, snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat #2.
And our famous mascot Monte:
http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2005_2006_an/Media/Football/2002_Highlig/monte02.wmv

GOKATS
December 23rd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Please don't remind me of "the kick"- one of the lowest points in my life, but my therapist says I'll eventually get over it.:xmas:

JoltinJoe
December 23rd, 2006, 07:10 PM

Unbelievable. Refs need to do a better job sometime letting the kids show passion. How can you make a call like that? After a great series like that, giving JMU a first-down and four more chances was disgraceful.

Col Hogan
December 23rd, 2006, 07:12 PM
I'm sure there were worse, but the worse I've seen was in a triple-overtime loss to Delaware on November 15, 2003. UMass was #3 at the time...Delaware # 6. UMass had upset "Nova earlier in the season and things were looking good...

We were holding on to a lead, when Dominique Stewart mis-played a punt...right in front of the UMass section. It bounced right off his helmet with the Hens recovering. UMass lost the lead...and three overtimes later we lost the game... Great game, bad out come...do I detect a trend?

mvemjsunpx
December 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
The final play of the 2001 National Championship game.

Furman scored on a very bizarre hail mary on the final play of the game.
It didn't have any bearing on who won (Montana 13-6), but it was definitely the flukiest play I've ever seen.

The funniest part was that a good chunk of the Griz fans stormed the field – unaware of the touchdown – while Furman's band (or what was left of their band after the semester ended) was playing the fight song and the Paladin horseman was riding around the stadium celebrating the TD.

JMU_Fan_2007
December 24th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Two big plays come to mind for JMU:

In the 2004 championship run, 'the catch' at William and Mary. D.D. Boxley's diving catch into the end zone has been played at least 10 times at every JMU sporting even since, including sports besides football. I think it might be offical university policy. I don't have a link but you could probably find it.

And the infamous... QB sneak on 4th and a long, long, 1? Everyone should know the game and the situation...

Pantherpower
December 24th, 2006, 09:57 AM
So many memories...

Kenny Shedd's 99 yd touchdown catch against Oklahoma State in 1990 on a screen

Mike Furrey in 1999 "catching up to a pass" from Ryan Helming against Indiana State and spearing the thing with one hand for a touchdown. I've never seen a burst of speed like that before or since. He hit another gear to catch up that ball.

Adam Benge in 2001 breaking through I don't know how many people en on Maine's vaunted Black Hole defense for a 50 yard touchdown in the playoffs.

Any of about two dozen plays from last years championship game playoff run. (Still literally haunted by the strip of the ball by Murrell and subsequent Hunter return for a touchdown---We had that game and the title!!!)

kats89
December 24th, 2006, 11:42 AM
SHSU going 75 yards in 8 plays with no timeouts in 43 seconds to win the game to advance to the semi-finals. One of the best comebacks ever!

And it was on the road in subfreezing temps at E. Washington which was even more amazing. Pat, dont you have some video clips you could post so i could relive it again.:thumbsup:

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 24th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Two big plays come to mind for JMU:

In the 2004 championship run, 'the catch' at William and Mary. D.D. Boxley's diving catch into the end zone has been played at least 10 times at every JMU sporting even since, including sports besides football. I think it might be offical university policy. I don't have a link but you could probably find it.

And the infamous... QB sneak on 4th and a long, long, 1? Everyone should know the game and the situation...

I think the picture is much better than any video... Every time I look at it I'm amazed that he held on!

FurmanPaladins4138
December 24th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I must say though- all the bonehead plays in Furman's history have diminished some other great plays- two consecutive years of game-saving touchdowns against Jacksonville State (this year thrown by freshman Jordan Sorrells) and great comebacks (against the Citadel and App St. (in the first meeting, we all know what happened in the rematch))

pantherclaw
December 24th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Some from UNI's recent history, im a youngin so don't know of a ton. BUT:
Famous: 2005
@WKU-Gray punt return to get us back into the game.
Field goal missed, then redone after penalty and blocked to send the game into OT. Then sanders to Surrency for win in OT.
SIU-Sanders to Goodwin I think to put us up for good. 4th and 10 from SIU's 20, Sanders lobs it in and Goodwin(maybe hunter) goes up and gets it. Then the D's stop of whitlock on 4th down to getthe ball back to win the game.
TxSt-INT to send us to championship. Listen to some of those archived radio broadcasts sometimes, makes me smile.
@ISU-Doke's INT and return for the touchdown.

Infamous-2005
ASU-been said enough the Murell Hunter thing.
@ISU-Wingert's missed field goal.
@SIU-whole game
ND-ditto

Probably more, just forgetting

Peems
December 24th, 2006, 03:19 PM
someone earlier brought it up, but if you are a sac st fan the "infamous" play would have to be silly rick ray pitching the ball back as he is being tackled and damon parker of the griz taking back to the house. the significance is Sac st has never beaten the griz and they had the game in the bag until that bonehead play. the griz went on to win the game in OT with a TD pass to Etu Molden.
No one has brought it up but this year the drive against cal poly was pretty impressive considering we had done absolutely nothing on offense.

JoltinJoe
December 24th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Infamous, I guess, is in the eye of the beholder. But from Fordham's perspective, the most infamous play in its history must be the trick play engineered by Texas A&M in the 1941 Cotton Bowl which turned out to be the difference in the 13-12 outcome.

The Aggies used the “hideout pass” to get on the board in the third quarter. Trailing 6-0 at the start of the third quarter, A&M’s Earl “Bama” Smith trotted toward the east sideline while his teammates rushed to their huddle. Fordham defenders, seeing Smith leave the field, didn't bother to cover him.

But Smith didn't leave the field and on the snap he took off undetected and then hauled in a 62-yard scoring pass from quarterback Marion Pugh to tie the game. : smh : :(

Today, the hideout play is outlawed by a rule that prohibits an offensive player from lining up less than five yards from his team's sideline.

catbob
December 24th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Anytime Lulay had the ball in the 4th while we were down. I can't even count them with both hands! I'd say the comeback against NAU a few years back was the best I've ever seen.

JALMOND
December 24th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Infamous plays in PSU's short I-AA history.

1. Idaho State's 53 yd FG as time ran out in 2005 that denied us our seventh DI win that year.

2. Montana State recovering a fumble on the goal line that capped an 11 point rally with less that three minutes to go in 2004, then the Cats won in OT, denying us our seventh DI win that year.

AndrewFU21
December 24th, 2006, 05:18 PM
This was before my time, but I believe Furman's first SoCon championship, in 1978, was won on a goaline stand at the end of the game to beat The Citadel. At the FU/Cid game at Paladin Stadium this year, they brought out some old guys that played in that game as well as the game ball, which they used to taunt the Citadel folks.

JohnStOnge
December 24th, 2006, 07:36 PM
The two most infamous for me in McNeese history were:

1) McNeese's all conference tight end dropping what should've been an easy catch for a TD in the 1997 championship game. He was so wide open that nobody was on the TV screen with him. The quarterback had lofted him a very soft, easy to catch pass. It was a very tight, defensive game (the box score in the newspaper the next day had McNeese with 201 total yards and Youngstown State with 200) in which every opportunity to score was huge. The Cowboys had to settle for a field goal after the drop and ended up losing 10 - 9.

2) In the 1980 Independence Bowl, McNeese led Southern Mississippi 14 - 10, had the ball and was running out the clock in the final two minutes. It was a Southern Mississippi team that came in at 8 -3 with a 42 - 14 win over 9 - 3 Mississippi State and a 28- 22 win over Ole Miss. McNeese had dominated the game statistically and the score really shouldn't have been that close at that point.

Southern Miss was out of timeouts. All McNeese had to do was get into the victory formation and take knees. But, instead, they handed off to the fullback who fumbled the ball to the Golden Eagles deep in McNeese territory. Southern Miss scored on 4th down to take the win.

walliver
December 24th, 2006, 09:50 PM
In the mid 70's Wofford had a speedy punter. In one game, the opposing team went for the block and the puinter ran around the end for a touchdown. The play was called back because of a holding penalty. On his second punt attempt, he again didn't have enough time to get the kick off, so he ran it in for another touchdown.

The most memorable plays of the I-AA era would be Dane Romero's 96 yard TD run up the middle against Gardner-Webb in 2005 and Michael Hobbs 99 yard TD run up the middle against Georgia Southern this year.

bulldog10jw
December 24th, 2006, 10:00 PM

I always wondered about the context of that poem, since Yale did not play Fordham in 1936 and Yale had a pretty good team going 7-1 that year. Speculation?

JoltinJoe
December 25th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I always wondered about the context of that poem, since Yale did not play Fordham in 1936 and Yale had a pretty good team going 7-1 that year. Speculation?

The teams referenced in the first stanza -- Minnesota, Yale, Army and Holy Cross -- were all undefeated teams in the hunt for a top national ranking in 1936. All were major upset victims on October 31, 1936. Yale lost a game to Dartmouth that day, which was a major surprise. So "strange things happened everywhere" that day.

Some of the nationally ranked teams Fordham actually played in 1936 are referenced in the third stanza -- SMU, St. Mary's of California, and Pitt.

bulldog10jw
December 25th, 2006, 08:20 AM
The teams referenced in the first stanza -- Minnesota, Yale, Army and Holy Cross -- were all undefeated teams in the hunt for a top national ranking in 1936. All were major upset victims on October 31, 1936. Yale lost a game to Dartmouth that day, which was a major surprise. So "strange things happened everywhere" that day.

Some of the nationally ranked teams Fordham actually played in 1936 are referenced in the third stanza -- SMU, St. Mary's of California, and Pitt.

Thanks. It makes sense in that context. I was always under the impression that those were all teams Fordham played that year, but now that I read it after your explanation I can see what Rice was saying.

th0m
December 25th, 2006, 08:37 AM
The Cortez Thompson 80+ punt return to score the winning points against Delaware in 2004... launching the post season run for the championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8fqhHE5zaE

(I'll shamelessly say I'm in the video celebrating in the endzone... :o )

That entire game was insane. Delaware outgained us 466 yards to 166 yards, yet we won it 20-13...insanity.

- 3 picks
- 1 blocked punt
- 1 blocked kick
- 1 punt returned for a TD (around 90yds)
- several PBU's that would've gone for TD's
- A last goal line stand at the 3yd line

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-axmW9gQo&mode=related&search=

Husky Alum
December 25th, 2006, 08:47 AM
NU was playing at Towson in 1991 or 1992 and had one of the weirdest endings to a game I've ever heard about.

NU scored with about 3 or 4 seconds on the clock to take a 5-6 point lead against Towson and during the ensuing kickoff ran on the field while the Towson player was running the kick back, resulting in a penalty against NU, and giving Towson one final play with no time left on the clock.

Towson throws a hail mary to thr end zone - Touchdown Towson, and they win the game by a point.

It made headlines across the sports world that day.

When Michigan played Nebraska last year in the Alamo Bowl and the players ran on the field as Michigan was running back the kick, it hearkened me back to that day.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 25th, 2006, 10:02 PM
The famous Furman "go for two" was not a boneheaded play. It was a good call as a two point lead has no realistic advantage over a one point lead, but a two point conversion would have put Furman up by 3...so you have nothing to lose. ASU just got really lucky, hence the name "miracle on the mountain".

And for the Texas State guy that mentioned "the kneel" from the semi-final with UNI last year, how can you guys still possibly be mad at that? The chances of driving the length of the field with what little time they had left was almost zero. That play most likely did not cost you the game.

Jerbearasu
December 25th, 2006, 10:53 PM
The famous Furman "go for two" was not a boneheaded play. It was a good call as a two point lead has no realistic advantage over a one point lead, but a two point conversion would have put Furman up by 3...so you have nothing to lose. ASU just got really lucky, hence the name "miracle on the mountain".

It was not a good decision to go for two because there was only 7 seconds left. Only two realistic things could have happened if they hadn't gone for two: 1) a kickoff return for a TD or, 2) a Hail Mary for a TD... Either way the two would have done no good. There is no way there was enough time to get into field goal position to boot it through. The chances of us returning the ball to our own 30 (our kicker was decent but not great by any means) or so yardline without the time expiring or returning it for the 6 are pretty much out of the question. Therefore, it was a ridiculously stupid call to go for 2...

Kill'em
December 25th, 2006, 11:57 PM
The infamous (in no particular order):
-Roderick Russell's fumble at the (D-II)West Georgia one yard line to lose on the final play.
-Several plays from this season including that 99 yard TD run by a slow runner who went untouched. :(
-The miracle catch by a Western Kentucky receiver on, I believe fourth down, which helped them win in the '02 semis.
-Not one play, but the entire fourth quarter against TXST.

The famous:
-With all due respect to Frankie Johnson, I don't think his catch was the key play to beat Furman in '85. It was Tony Belser's catch on fourth down while getting drilled that kept the winning drive going.
-Chris Dickerson's catch deep in Furman territory in the fourth quarter last year.
-Same game, Jermaine Austin carrying 5 or six Furman defenders into the end zone for the winning score.
-Taz Dixon's interception in Stephen F Austin's territory late in the fourth quarter of the '89 Championship game that, not only won our third Championship but made us THE FIRST TEAM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY to go 15-0!

mvemjsunpx
December 26th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by Peems
someone earlier brought it up, but if you are a sac st fan the "infamous" play would have to be silly rick ray pitching the ball back as he is being tackled and damon parker of the griz taking back to the house. the significance is Sac st has never beaten the griz and they had the game in the bag until that bonehead play. the griz went on to win the game in OT with a TD pass to Etu Molden.
No one has brought it up but this year the drive against cal poly was pretty impressive considering we had done absolutely nothing on offense.

Actually, there was no OT in that game. Parker's fumble return put the Griz up 24-20 and we stopped Sac St. when they got the ball again. Even more amazing was that Montana came back from a 20-0 halftime deficit – on Homecoming – to win this one.

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 10:20 AM
2) In the 1980 Independence Bowl, McNeese led Southern Mississippi 14 - 10, had the ball and was running out the clock in the final two minutes. It was a Southern Mississippi team that came in at 8 -3 with a 42 - 14 win over 9 - 3 Mississippi State and a 28- 22 win over Ole Miss. McNeese had dominated the game statistically and the score really shouldn't have been that close at that point.

Southern Miss was out of timeouts. All McNeese had to do was get into the victory formation and take knees. But, instead, they handed off to the fullback who fumbled the ball to the Golden Eagles deep in McNeese territory. Southern Miss scored on 4th down to take the win.

Please tell me the coach was fired. :bang:

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 26th, 2006, 02:09 PM
The infamous (in no particular order):
-Roderick Russell's fumble at the (D-II)West Georgia one yard line to lose on the final play.
-Several plays from this season including that 99 yard TD run by a slow runner who went untouched. :(
-The miracle catch by a Western Kentucky receiver on, I believe fourth down, which helped them win in the '02 semis.
-Not one play, but the entire fourth quarter against TXST.

The famous:
-With all due respect to Frankie Johnson, I don't think his catch was the key play to beat Furman in '85. It was Tony Belser's catch on fourth down while getting drilled that kept the winning drive going.
-Chris Dickerson's catch deep in Furman territory in the fourth quarter last year.
-Same game, Jermaine Austin carrying 5 or six Furman defenders into the end zone for the winning score.
-Taz Dixon's interception in Stephen F Austin's territory late in the fourth quarter of the '89 Championship game that, not only won our third Championship but made us THE FIRST TEAM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY to go 15-0!

You are right about the play from '85. There was also a really long pass play on that drive that set us up. Not sure if that was the play you are referring to. "The Catch" is more famous, and even thoug it wasn't a long gain, it was a heck of a catch.

The '89 interception was Kevin Whitley, if I'm not mistaken. Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention Raymond Gross' fumble deep in Furman territory from the '88 NC.

Kill'em
December 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM
You are right about the play from '85. There was also a really long pass play on that drive that set us up. Not sure if that was the play you are referring to. "The Catch" is more famous, and even thoug it wasn't a long gain, it was a heck of a catch.
Yeah, Frankie caught a long one from Tracy at the start of the drive but Tony Belser caught a pass in the right flat on fourth down. He got hit as he caught the ball and I am surprised he held on. Yeah, Franlie's catch in the endzone was a thing of beauty and gets all the credit, but Belser's catch made that play happen.

The '89 interception was Kevin Whitley, if I'm not mistaken. Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention Raymond Gross' fumble deep in Furman territory from the '88 NC.
Whitley intercepted Hammell on SFA's final drive. Taz came across the field to intercept Hammell's attempt inside SFA territory to set up the winning field goal.

As for Raymond's fumble, it was already mentioned once and I didn't want to bring it up again. I still cry over that one.:bawling: He sure did make up for it, though! :hurray:

McNeese72
December 27th, 2006, 08:00 AM
The two most infamous for me in McNeese history were:

To go the other way with the positives, I'd say.

1)FB Oliver Hadnot's run up the middle for a 20+ yard touchdown to win the first Independence Bowl against Tulsa.

2) "The Punt" Kerry Joseph's punt in 1995 against JMU after the ball was snapped over his head. He kicked it left footed after going back and getting the ball and the punt ended up being over 80 yards.

Doc

Leo-Pard
December 27th, 2006, 01:23 PM
There was the fumble at the Delaware 20 yard line while trying to go in for the tying score late in the first round of the 2004 playoffs. Fumble was returned for a touchdown.
But of course, who, from Lehigh will ever forget "The Catch" in 2005?
4th and 10 on the 35, Lafayette sends out the FG, Lehigh calls a timeout, out of the TO Lafayette sends the offense back on the field. The Lafayette backup QB rolls out to his right, chased by defenders, he heaves it down the field off of his back foot..... caught by Jon Hurt, the tailback, who slipped passed all the defenders, who stepped backwards into the endzone for the winning score! Lafayette goes to the playoffs, Lehigh stays home.

penguinonastick
December 27th, 2006, 03:00 PM
YSU has numerous plays that stand out - here are a few

1. 1991 - @ GSU during the season and a defensive back picks an option pitch out of the air and returns it for a TD - YSU wins and it begins the road to their 1st NC.

2. 1991 - YSU-Villanova playoff 1st round playoff game - 4th and 11 with under a minute and Ray Issac hits Herb Williams to set up a game winning field goal by Jeff Wilkins.

3. 1993 - Championship game against Marshall - goaline stand while YSU is up 17-5 late in the 4th.

4. 1994 - Quaterfinals against EKU - down 15-11 - Mark Brungard hits Darnel Bracy for a TD to win with 1:00 left.

5. 1997- NC Game - Demond Tidwell hits Renauld Ray for the game winner against McNeese State

6. 1999 - With FAMU up and driving to put the game away - Tim Johnson picks one off in our endzone and returns it to the 50 and YSU drives and scores to tie the game up

7. 2006 - JMU - 4th and 1, TD - Marcus Mason - need I say more

GO GUINS
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Pards Rule
December 27th, 2006, 03:25 PM
There was the fumble at the Delaware 20 yard line while trying to go in for the tying score late in the first round of the 2004 playoffs. Fumble was returned for a touchdown.
But of course, who, from Lehigh will ever forget "The Catch" in 2005?
4th and 10 on the 35, Lafayette sends out the FG, Lehigh calls a timeout, out of the TO Lafayette sends the offense back on the field. The Lafayette backup QB rolls out to his right, chased by defenders, he heaves it down the field off of his back foot..... caught by Jon Hurt, the tailback, who slipped passed all the defenders, who stepped backwards into the endzone for the winning score! Lafayette goes to the playoffs, Lehigh stays home.

YES!! But I refer to that play as "The Big Hurt" :smiley_wi AND HOW! Just almost as much as Lehigh's Brian Klingerman one handed catch in the back of the end zone in second OT period in 1995 as the light was at dusk! 37-30 Lehigh win. Wonder if they could have played a third OT or whether game would have been a tie cause at the end you could barely see the field and Goodman Stadium has no lights!

Kill'em
December 27th, 2006, 03:33 PM
YSU has numerous plays that stand out - here are a few

1. 1991 - @ GSU during the season and a defensive back picks an option pitch out of the air and returns it for a TD - YSU wins and it begins the road to their 1st NC.
Oh crap, I forgot about that one. Talk about silencing the crowd. We sat there, stunned.

jstate83
December 27th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Just wrong................PLAIN WRONG. xlolx

1-AA playoff's.....................Jackson Ms...............1987.
Dr. Sack Leon Seals, Kevin Dent, Darrion Conners, the Loyd Brothers, Albert Goss and Patrick Parker on defense.

Leading Arkansas St 32-28 1 minute to go.:nod:
Party going on anticipating the win.:nod:

10 yard line, 3rd down for Ark St.

I look up and see this big arse OL Twinkle Toe into the endzone untouched around the left side.
We lost the game 35-32 on a FUMBLE ROUSKIE.:bawling:

ngineer
December 27th, 2006, 11:46 PM
YES!! But I refer to that play as "The Big Hurt" :smiley_wi AND HOW! Just almost as much as Lehigh's Brian Klingerman one handed catch in the back of the end zone in second OT period in 1995 as the light was at dusk! 37-30 Lehigh win. Wonder if they could have played a third OT or whether game would have been a tie cause at the end you could barely see the field and Goodman Stadium has no lights!

Thanks, Pard. I was going to object to using "The Catch" as we already had that moniker for the 1995 Game. I agree, "The Big Hurt" is more apropos for your sudden victory in 2005...:(

Kill'em
December 28th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Just wrong................PLAIN WRONG. xlolx

1-AA playoff's.....................Jackson Ms...............1987.
Dr. Sack Leon Seals, Kevin Dent, Darrion Conners, the Loyd Brothers, Albert Goss and Patrick Parker on defense.

Leading Arkansas St 32-28 1 minute to go.:nod:
Party going on anticipating the win.:nod:

10 yard line, 3rd down for Ark St.

I look up and see this big arse OL Twinkle Toe into the endzone untouched around the left side.
We lost the game 35-32 on a FUMBLE ROUSKIE.:bawling:
That's when it makes one wonder if there is a god!

andy7171
December 28th, 2006, 08:01 AM
In 1992, Northeastern scored the go ahead touchdown to make the score 32-27 with only 5 seconds left. They kick off, we run it up our sideline, lateral once, lateral twice, lateral a third time into our kick returner, Julian Blairs hands. He cuts back across the field toward the Northeastern side, who had just rushed the field thinking the ball was down. Blair get to the 25 yard lind before getting forced out. Northeastern bench is flagged for too many men on the field. The game can't end on a defensive penalty. Dan Crowley hits Mark Orlando in the back corner of the endzone. Towson wins 33-32.

It was the ESPN Play of the Year.