PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina's Mark Speir On SoCon, NASCAR, Mountains

The Cats
July 29th, 2016, 11:03 AM

Brian McLaughlin, the senior FCS writer for HERO Sports wrote a nice article on WCU head coach Mark Speir.

He posted a link on the Catamount Sports Forum, and I thought I'd share it here.

http://herosports.com/news/ncaa-fcs-mens-football/western-carolinas-mark-speir-on-socon-nascar-mountains

We're going to be all over this wonderful level of college football this fall, and we had a chance to do a question-and-answer with Mark Speir in the past week.

Not only does this guy win, he's about as approachable as any Division I head coach I've ever met. Great guy. We talked a little bit about everything, from the great group back, knocking on the door of the FCS playoffs last year, Detrez's 100-yard games against the Vols and the Aggies, and even a bit about NASCAR and Earnhardt. My kind of guy.

At any rate, hope you all will give it a read and keep in touch - and check out what we're doing with HERO Sports.

Thanks,
Brian McLaughlin

catamount man
July 29th, 2016, 12:58 PM
The reporter obviously missed the fact that WCU did have a winning season in 2005 but other than that great article. I think Speir, if he stays long term and everything falls into place, could pass Waters win total someday. Obviously he has a long way to go but he's not even 50 yet and is in great shape. GO CATS!!!

SU DOG
July 29th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I know I felt for you guys when Wagner was there and stuffed the roster with California JUCO transfers. If any fan base deserved a great change, it certainly was the Catamounts. Apparently he is the right one for Western.

catamount man
July 29th, 2016, 01:48 PM
I know I felt for you guys when Wagner was there and stuffed the roster with California JUCO transfers. If any fan base deserved a great change, it certainly was the Catamounts. Apparently he is the right one for Western.

Thanks and you guys have been great for the SoCon. I will never forget Samford being picked last in 2008 and all of the rest of us bemoaning the fact that y'all were thrust upon us. It took 1 game, when you beat us 21-6 in Cullowhee October 4, for me to take that back. Ed Bradley, father of WCU's #41 Jeff Bradley 2005-08 and former SB winner with the Steelers, told me the next week as we gathered for an event before the Furman game that you guys must've stolen some Bama and Auburn players before treking up the mountains.

We were stunned at the size and let's leave it at that. LOL!

The Cats
July 29th, 2016, 01:59 PM
If any fan base deserved a great change, it certainly was the Catamounts.

We appreciate the thoughts SU DOG.

You know, every DOG has their day.....

Smitty
July 29th, 2016, 05:44 PM
You know, every DOG has their day.....

Just not until after ours...

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 29th, 2016, 06:06 PM

I remember on this very board saying WCU should've hired Hugh Freeze instead of him around the end of 2007. LoL.

Glad they have Speir now, though.

Go Catamounts!

The Cats
July 29th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Just not until after ours...

No problem, they have already had their day........