Southeastern Louisiana

UIW

Abilene Christian

Nicholls

Houston Baptist

http://southland.org/news/2016/7/27/FB_0727161345.aspx

Catatonic
July 27th, 2016, 08:45 AM
looks about right. ACU finished a disappointing 3-8 last year. 8-9 is where we deserved to be ranked. Hoping for a better finish in the Post season rankings.

Other schools..I just finished my AGS preseason poll. I put Sam in the #1 spot.

McNeese75
July 27th, 2016, 08:45 AM
No big surprise on #1. Wishful thinking I guess but I have some pretty substantial reservations about the Cowboys being able to finish in the top 4 in the league this year. But, AGS.

BEAR
July 27th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Looking at that I'd switch a few.

1. SAM. Obviously.
2. SFA. I think SFA has the "team" to do it.
3. McNeese- still tough even under the changes.
4. UCA- just too many new guys but solid talent at the experience levels.
5. Lamar/ACU
6. SLU/UIW
7. NWST
8. Nicholls
9. HBU

Daytripper
July 27th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Looking at that I'd switch a few.

1. SAM. Obviously.
2. SFA. I think SFA has the "team" to do it.
3. McNeese- still tough even under the changes.
4. UCA- just too many new guys but solid talent at the experience levels.
5. Lamar/ACU
6. SLU/UIW
7. NWST
8. Nicholls
9. HBU

I agree with you on SFA. The only two Southland teams I put in my AGS top 25 poll were SHSU and SFA.

BEAR
July 27th, 2016, 09:19 AM
I agree with you on SFA. The only two Southland teams I put in my AGS top 25 poll were SHSU and SFA.

I like the way you think.

Sammy94
July 27th, 2016, 09:29 AM

Did I miss something? This is pretty much the same team that lost its first 5 games of the season last year. Will a new O Coordinator really change that much? They will come into BOTPW 2-2 and leave 2-3. I think SFA is placed about right. SLU will be better this season with all their new SEC transfers, I have them flipped with SFA at #5.

Catatonic
July 27th, 2016, 09:36 AM

I put 3 SLA teams--#1 ShSU, McNeese somewhere around 15, and SFA at 25. I'm not that confident about SFA but I like SFA93's graphics and enthusiasm for the jacks....Besides, when you get down to the lower half of the top 25, it's all pretty much a crap shoot.

Daytripper
July 27th, 2016, 09:38 AM
I put 3 SLA teams--#1 ShSU, McNeese somewhere around 15, and SFA at 25. I'm not that confident about SFA but I like SFA93's graphics and enthusiasm for the jacks....Besides, when you get down to the lower half of the top 25, it's all pretty much a crap shoot.

Be prepared. You have no idea how much grief you will get for this....

BisonTru
July 27th, 2016, 11:50 AM

Be prepared. You have no idea how much grief you will get for this....

Rightfully so. What game or games last year impressed you enough to consider them preseason favorite for the title?

Daytripper
July 27th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Rightfully so. What game or games last year impressed you enough to consider them preseason favorite for the title?

Not speaking for Catatonic, but I'm guessing it is based on 16 returning starters, including QB Jeremiah Briscoe and DE P.J. Hall. Preseason polls are all subjective anyway. We all see what we want to see.

BEAR
July 27th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Anyone want to predict your wins or losses on your schedule? C'mon...it's all fun...(guess I'll go first.)

Thu. 9/1/2016 Houston Baptist University CONWAY 6:00 P.M. Details (W)
Sat. 9/10/2016 Samford University CONWAY 6:00 PM Details (Toss up)
Sat. 9/17/2016 Northwestern State University CONWAY 6:00 PM Details (W)
Sat. 9/24/2016 Arkansas State University Jonesboro, AR TBA Details (L)
Sat. 10/1/2016 Abilene Christian University Abilene, TX 2:30 PM Details (W)
Sat. 10/8/2016 OPEN Details (L)
Sat. 10/15/2016 McNeese State University Lake Charles, LA 6:00 PM Details (Toss up)
Sat. 10/22/2016 Lamar University CONWAY 6:00 PM Details (W)
Sat. 10/29/2016 Southeastern Louisiana University Hammond, LA TBA Details (Toss up)
Sat. 11/5/2016 Stephen F. Austin Nacogdoches, TX 3:00 PM Details (L)
Sat. 11/12/2016 Nicholls State University CONWAY 3:00 PM Details (W)
Sat. 11/19/2016 Sam Houston State University Huntsville, TX TBA Details (L)

So conference- 5 wins, 2 toss ups, 2 losses
Overall record- Could be 7-4.

Overall factor: My strong Losses are Arkansas State and SHSU. My likely loss is SFA. My second likely loss is McNeese. That's 4 losses with only 7 games left to count toward the playoffs. IF Bears go 7-4, they most likely won't make the playoffs.

However if the Bears get the HBU win, upset Samford in Conway, defeat NWST and lose to ASU, that puts them at 3-1. A win at ACU..tough but doable put them at 4-1.
Now the next hurdle is winning 4 of the last 6 games to get to 8 division I wins. Who are they? Nicholls. Maybe lamar and SLU. Hopefully Mcneese. SFA and SHSU are just too much at home this year IMO. SFA being a possible upset win. SHSU so far least likely.

Prediction: Unless UCA can pull the upset over Mcneese, SFA and combine that with a win over Lamar or ACU...it will be another year of having a good record but no post season.

What can affect that goal? 30+ freshman. Many road games against the tougher teams. Critical players on defense were replaced.

Can they get 8 wins. Yes. Will they? I'm just not sure with the above factors.

Catatonic
July 27th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Not speaking for Catatonic, but I'm guessing it is based on 16 returning starters, including QB Jeremiah Briscoe and DE P.J. Hall. Preseason polls are all subjective anyway. We all see what we want to see.

Spot on. Briscoe split time last year but took command of the offense late and looked ready for a great season in the spring. An outstanding D Line, anchored by Hall.

Also, Keeler has had 3 years to implement his system, the optimum time for a new coach to fully instill his way of doing things. Took Saban 3 years to win a NC at Bama. Just a hunch that this is Keeler's and Sam's year.

BisonTru
July 27th, 2016, 12:49 PM

Keepers rankings have you guys losing 9.7 starters. Where is the discrepancy?

BTW, to play the homer card, NDSU isn't losing much. Probably less than the Bearkats.

Catatonic
July 27th, 2016, 01:09 PM

BTW, to play the homer card, NDSU isn't losing much. Probably less than the Bearkats.

Texas Football has Sam Houston returning 18 starters. i suspect differences are based on varying definitions of starters--anyone who started one game, a majority of games, all games or some other definition.

lionsrking2
July 27th, 2016, 01:22 PM

We should go 0-11 according to Keepers numbers. xsmiley_wix

SFA 93
July 27th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Yes, we have cool graphics. Lol

win or lose my life is great, can't complain. Just enjoy being a fan and love my school.

2009 was the best, picked last I believe and won it all.

Axe'em

McNeese75
July 27th, 2016, 02:46 PM
We should go 0-11 according to Keepers numbers. xsmiley_wix

It's just a shame that 5 star laden defense of yours is not going to be tested by the national leading offense out of Huntsville.

Sammy94
July 27th, 2016, 03:06 PM

We lost 2 on OL, 2 WR, and a part time starting QB on offense. So that is 5 on the off.

1 on the DL, 1 LB, and both corners so 4 on def.

The thing about our offense is that many guys play when you avg 100 snaps a game. I think Sam had 9 or 10 OL that started games last year. It's not every year you lose an all conference player at QB and feel like you have an upgrade at that position. Losing WR Ladarius Brown and Gerald Thomas will hurt on the outside but we return Yedi Louis and Davion Davis on the inside.

Losing both corners may hurt but they are being replaced by redshirt freshman Jalen Campbell who committed as a sophomore in HS to Texas and recruited hard by Oregon and TCU. http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/08/three-star_cb_jalen_campbell_a.html .
Jermaine Roberts a Texas transfer. http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/2/1/10887032/jermaine-roberts-texas-longhorns-transfer will start at the other CB spot.
The DL loss will be helped by Marcus Loud, a projected starter for Mizzou this season. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/mizzou-dismisses-starting-de-marcus-loud/article_9f708610-857b-57d2-8f8d-85dd665a8560.html

lionsrking2
July 27th, 2016, 03:14 PM
It's just a shame that 5 star laden defense of yours is not going to be tested by the national leading offense out of Huntsville.

We don't make the conference schedule. That was done several years ago before we were in the SLC title picture.

McNeese75
July 27th, 2016, 03:45 PM
We don't make the conference schedule. That was done several years ago before we were in the SLC title picture.

I realize it was not the SLU Administration's decision. It is the friggin SLC and the schedules should be rotated so everyone plays everyone over a two year period.

BisonTru
July 27th, 2016, 03:53 PM
We lost 2 on OL, 2 WR, and a part time starting QB on offense. So that is 5 on the off.

1 on the DL, 1 LB, and both corners so 4 on def.

The thing about our offense is that many guys play when you avg 100 snaps a game. I think Sam had 9 or 10 OL that started games last year. It's not every year you lose an all conference player at QB and feel like you have an upgrade at that position. Losing WR Ladarius Brown and Gerald Thomas will hurt on the outside but we return Yedi Louis and Davion Davis on the inside.

Losing both corners may hurt but they are being replaced by redshirt freshman Jalen Campbell who committed as a sophomore in HS to Texas and recruited hard by Oregon and TCU. http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/08/three-star_cb_jalen_campbell_a.html .
Jermaine Roberts a Texas transfer. http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/2/1/10887032/jermaine-roberts-texas-longhorns-transfer will start at the other CB spot.
The DL loss will be helped by Marcus Loud, a projected starter for Mizzou this season. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/mizzou-dismisses-starting-de-marcus-loud/article_9f708610-857b-57d2-8f8d-85dd665a8560.html

Awesome, thanks for answering my question. Not sure what Texas football is, but they seem to be off on 18 returning starters.

Catatonic
July 27th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Awesome, thanks for answering my question. Not sure what Texas football is, but they seem to be off on 18 returning starters.

Texas Football is a Texas version of Athlon, Phil Steele and other football magazines. It's been around since 1960. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Campbell%27s_Texas_Football

BEAR
July 27th, 2016, 04:17 PM
C'mon you whimps. Predict your game by game schedule either Wins or Losses. You can do it! Besides, we get to look back at how we predict our team will do at the end of the season.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ctanoxBZ_6c/UFHTkVAzChI/AAAAAAAAAsE/KMdA7CALgr0/s1600/you+can+do+it.jpg

Sammy94
July 27th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Predict your game by game schedule either Wins or Losses. You can do it!

With this year's schedule,

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6NJ0L6MDhngcnLh9p5lJCu5VnVDELb Wp8ZDmCv7zwSPAt7t77

I predict no losses in the regular season.

lionsrking2
July 27th, 2016, 04:39 PM
I realize it was not the SLU Administration's decision. It is the friggin SLC and the schedules should be rotated so everyone plays everyone over a two year period.

They do rotate the schedules. Just not as often as most would like.

Catatonic
July 27th, 2016, 04:50 PM
They do rotate the schedules. Just not as often as most would like.

They rotate but the rotation is limited. Each school was allowed to pick certain rivals that will never be part of the rotation. As I recall, the number of rivals varied, so that some schools wind up playing a larger number of the same schools each year...unlike, say, in the SEC where schools pick one and only one opponent from the other division and rotate the rest. For example, I believe the LA schools all play each other each year, and only rotate out of state opponents.

lionsrking2
July 27th, 2016, 04:52 PM
They rotate but the rotation is limited. Each school was allowed to pick certain rivals that will never be part of the rotation. As I recall, the number of rivals varied, so that some schools wind up playing a larger number of the same schools each year...unlike, say, in the SEC where schools pick one and only one opponent from the other division and rotate the rest.

Correct. There's a method to the madness, just not sure of all the rationale. It is what it is.

McNeese75
July 27th, 2016, 05:04 PM
C'mon you whimps. Predict your game by game schedule either Wins or Losses. You can do it! Besides, we get to look back at how we predict our team will do at the end of the season.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ctanoxBZ_6c/UFHTkVAzChI/AAAAAAAAAsE/KMdA7CALgr0/s1600/you+can+do+it.jpg

Sorry, not even a clue at this point.

McNeese75
July 27th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Correct. There's a method to the madness, just not sure of all the rationale. It is what it is.

And it sucks balls

McNeese72
July 28th, 2016, 08:15 AM

One of these days, we will get to play HBU. At least, we don't have to go back to Conway this season. ;)

Doc

BEAR
July 28th, 2016, 08:24 AM
One of these days, we will get to play HBU. At least, we don't have to go back to Conway this season. ;)

Doc

Aaaaaaand he taking an early snap for a scoop and score already! xlolx

McNeese72
July 28th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Aaaaaaand he taking an early snap for a scoop and score already! xlolx

I think we have played 8 times since you guys were joining the conference and 5 of them have been in Conway, if my math is right. ;)

Doc

Catatonic
July 28th, 2016, 09:00 AM

Not exactly. The AD's from LA schools chose to designate each other as permanent, non-rotating opponents which limits the number of teams on your schedule that rotate.

BEAR
July 28th, 2016, 09:03 AM
I think we have played 8 times since you guys were joining the conference and 5 of them have been in Conway, if my math is right. ;)

Doc

Yeah probably. I can count it at 4-2 at home since 2010. Which really is only a one game swing (from 3-3) since the SLC picked up 3 more teams in HBU, ACU, and UIW...which messed up the schedules of everyone. I just think there were a couple of back to back years in there somewhere.

Catatonic
July 28th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Yeah probably. I can count it at 4-2 at home since 2010. Which really is only a one game swing (from 3-3) since the SLC picked up 3 more teams in HBU, ACU, and UIW...which messed up the schedules of everyone. I just think there were a couple of back to back years in there somewhere.

sure, blame the new guys. :D

McNeese75
July 28th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Not exactly. The AD's from LA schools chose to designate each other as permanent, non-rotating opponents which limits the number of teams on your schedule that rotate.

So that explains why McNeese plays SHSU, UIW and ACU every year and not HBU? I don't think so. My point is the "non-permanent" teams should be rotated and that is not happening. (and the damn SLC should see to it that it does)

Catatonic
July 28th, 2016, 09:53 AM
So that explains why McNeese plays SHSU, UIW and ACU every year and not HBU? I don't think so. My point is the "non-permanent" teams should be rotated and that is not happening. (and the damn SLC should see to it that it does)

The SLC adopted a 9 game schedule last year. This year completes a two year home-away cycle. Some rotation begins next year. We drop Lamar and pick up Nicholls. I don't know about other schools and why we only change one school. i agree that we should rotate all schools, except perhaps one rival that remains constant.

BEAR
July 28th, 2016, 10:06 AM
You know I'm beginning to wonder about McNeese. Reviewing our game with them last year we led them until about 9 minutes in the fourth quarter, fumbled the ball 4 times lost it 3, held them to 160 yards of total offense (We had 313) and collapsed in the fourth quarter with a early snap fumble which led to a scoop and score for them, a bad decision by our all conference punt and kickoff returner to set us up at their 9 yard line from the end zone, and a great int by the Cowboy defense on our backup QB as we were in scoring position. Had we scored there we could have on-side kicked it at worst. Actually not a bad game just bad decisions that set us up for a loss. Can't do that. Not against the undefeated team. SHSU was a different story all together. xlolx

Sammy94
July 28th, 2016, 10:17 AM
I have some pretty substantial reservations about the Cowboys being able to finish in the top 4 in the league this year.

The Cowboys defense will be good with or without Golden. The passing game will be dramatically better with Sams gone. I see the Cowboys competing for the top spot again.

McNeese75
July 28th, 2016, 03:14 PM
The Cowboys defense will be good with or without Golden. The passing game will be dramatically better with Sams gone. I see the Cowboys competing for the top spot again.

xeyebrowx Really? Now you are dribbling sand out of your pockets for us?? xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

You know I'm beginning to wonder about McNeese. Reviewing our game with them last year we led them until about 9 minutes in the fourth quarter, fumbled the ball 4 times lost it 3, held them to 160 yards of total offense (We had 313) and collapsed in the fourth quarter with a early snap fumble which led to a scoop and score for them, a bad decision by our all conference punt and kickoff returner to set us up at their 9 yard line from the end zone, and a great int by the Cowboy defense on our backup QB as we were in scoring position. Had we scored there we could have on-side kicked it at worst. Actually not a bad game just bad decisions that set us up for a loss. Can't do that. Not against the undefeated team. SHSU was a different story all together. xlolx

Hey, that was 2 in a row on those ugly stripes for the Pokes. We will take what we can get.

McCowboys
July 28th, 2016, 03:41 PM
I believe what happened is that the Cowboys played at UCA and then for some reason, the two teams did not play the next year, and then the following year (last year) the Cowboys were in Conway again. However, it looks like the last two contests up in Conway, the Cowboys have enjoyed playing on the stripes and broke the jinx of the weird things that had been happening up there.

BEAR
July 29th, 2016, 08:05 AM
I believe what happened is that the Cowboys played at UCA and then for some reason, the two teams did not play the next year, and then the following year (last year) the Cowboys were in Conway again. However, it looks like the last two contests up in Conway, the Cowboys have enjoyed playing on the stripes and broke the jinx of the weird things that had been happening up there.

What was weird didn't happen in Conway. What was weirder (is that a word?) was what happened in Lake Charles. The onside kick by UCA created by the unlikely events up to it. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJJmnEg0CMw

McNeese75
July 29th, 2016, 08:07 AM
What was weird didn't happen in Conway. What was weirder (is that a word?) was what happened in Lake Charles. The onside kick by UCA created by the unlikely events up to it. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJJmnEg0CMw
Oh no thank you lol, I've suffered thru that one enough

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

McNeese72
July 31st, 2016, 11:51 AM

Also, there was an earlier time that we actually played up there back to back. Don't have my media guide here to look up the years.

Doc

McNeese72
July 31st, 2016, 11:54 AM

Golden will have a hearing on August 16. The talk is (and his lawyer thinks) is that his 120 day sentence will be shortened because of good behavior and he will be released and will be on 10 year probation. He has been a model citizen in the two years he has been in Lake Charles.

Online story from the LC American Press about this: http://www.americanpress.com/20160731-Rumors

Doc

BEAR
August 1st, 2016, 08:37 AM
UCA D Line coach Dan Augustine leaves football for a job in the civilian world. Former UCA defensive lineman and Jacksonville Jaguar Larry Hart takes his place. Coach Augustine coached and recruited some of UCA's best DE in Jonathan Woodard and Cardell Best to name two. He will be missed but happily he got a job in Conway so he will still be in town. Coach Hart is more than capable of the position with experience at the NFL level and at Arkansas State..who has done very well the past few seasons. Sucks it happened a month before the season started but at least all the pieces are already in place and the machine is moving.