PDA

View Full Version : What schools are officially exploring FCS football?

aztecjim
December 22nd, 2006, 09:51 AM
I know Old Dominion and Campbell are starting football. Presbyterian,North Carolina Central,North Dakota and South Dakota have officially announced they are moving up. East Tennessee State and Georgia State have done feasibliy studies. What other schools have actually explored their options? Not fan rallies or scuttlebutt but actual university action.

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2006, 09:54 AM
Add UTSA...

They completed a feasibility study and are looking at marching through FCS on their way to FBS...

It may be 'scuttlebutt', but there was a recent editorial on a local station in San Antonio where the GM of the station says there is plenty of money and people to make it happen...

lizrdgizrd
December 22nd, 2006, 10:14 AM
UNCP is adding football.

BillLuc1982
December 22nd, 2006, 10:17 AM
GVSU needs to move up

Model Citizen
December 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
What other schools have actually explored their options?

There's a difference between this question (past tense) and the title of your post (present tense).

Current activity is well known. As for what schools have explored options in the past, the answer is probably "most of them." Some of this has been revealed in newspapers, but I think most private schools want to keep the process quiet. Not everyone goes through the dog and pony show of hiring Carr Sports Associates.

ChickenMan
December 22nd, 2006, 11:06 AM
I think Georgia St... already a CAA (A10) member for all other sports is studying the possibility of FCS football.

Shockerman
December 22nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
There have been several studies done here about Football. All have been positive. The problem is that the President won't discuss it without 30 million on the table. Yes, 30 million. There are several Alumni groups that are currently raising money and starting football only scholarship endowments. The huge success of the basketball team (currently top 10) will only fuel the hype. The Shox will bring back football, just need to get the $ in place. Another issue is that a majority of alumni want DI football or nothing. The only way for that to ever happen is to leave the conference (highly unlikely) or start in FCS & wait until SWMOSU, Illinois State and SIU are ready to go DI and form a MVC football conference. However, once folks around here got a taste of FCS football, I don't think the push for DI would be as big of a deal. For some reason there is an inferior complex around here in regards to KU, anything they do, we can do better. This is no joke. Time will tell what happens.

GaSouthern
December 22nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
GVSU is a shoe in for the CS IMO

rjg129
December 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
Winston-Salem State has moved up to FCS

Cocky
December 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM

NW Missouri, Valdosta, North Alabama, and West Georgia need to follow.

lizrdgizrd
December 22nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
There have been several studies done here about Football. All have been positive. The problem is that the President won't discuss it without 30 million on the table. Yes, 30 million. There are several Alumni groups that are currently raising money and starting football only scholarship endowments. The huge success of the basketball team (currently top 10) will only fuel the hype. The Shox will bring back football, just need to get the $ in place. Another issue is that a majority of alumni want DI football or nothing. The only way for that to ever happen is to leave the conference (highly unlikely) or start in FCS & wait until SWMOSU, Illinois State and SIU are ready to go DI and form a MVC football conference. However, once folks around here got a taste of FCS football, I don't think the push for DI would be as big of a deal. For some reason there is an inferior complex around here in regards to KU, anything they do, we can do better. This is no joke. Time will tell what happens.
xcoffeex FCS IS DI football. xcoffeex
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

SO ILLmatic
December 22nd, 2006, 11:50 AM

The Grand Valley administration swears up and down that they have no intent on moving up. They also expressed the notion that they are not going to begin a transition study for at least another decade. They also continually cite that the university is very young and still has alot more growth to take place.

The are successful in other sports besides football at the D2 level. I think they have won a couple of Director's Cups in the past couple of years. But with their location and the enrollment (around 20,000 i believe) I feel that they will eventually make the move, just not anytime in relatively close future.

Purple Pride
December 22nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
NW Missouri, Valdosta, North Alabama, and West Georgia need to follow.
Wasn't W Georgia 1 - 9 last year?:eek:

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2006, 12:45 PM
The lower penisula of Mich is saturated.

You have Mich and Mich State getting 90%.

Western, Central, and Eastern get 8%.

The other 2% goes to the GLIAC schools (Ferris, GV, Saginaw, Wayne, etc.). And that's for the instate schools. You still have Notre Dame to compete with and others.

I'm pretty sure their stadium is about like UNH and their fan support is probably not that high despite national championships.

Don't see it happening.

carney2
December 22nd, 2006, 12:50 PM
Didn't IUP (Indiana University of Pennsylvania) make some noise on this earlier this year?

kats89
December 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
THEN ENTIRE SUN BELT CONFERENCE!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx

Purple Pride
December 22nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
THEN ENTIRE SUN BELT CONFERENCE!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx
:hurray: xlolx xlolx xlolx

PantherRob82
December 22nd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Would love to see MVC football. Hopefully WSU makes the move. Don't care if it's FCS or FBS. Prefer CS though.

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
This would be an interesting conference:

UNI - Drake
Mizzou State - Wichita State
SIU - Ill State
NDSU - SDSU
Indiana State - Butler

non football:

Bradley - Creighton

Would need Butler and Drake to upgrade. Or I suppose they could be non football and stay Pioneer.

BigApp
December 22nd, 2006, 04:18 PM
UNCP is adding football.

D2, not FCS

SIUallDay
April 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Missouri Valley Conference football would be nice

Mr. C
April 17th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Someone already tarred and feathered you for the Division I referrence, so I'll leave that be. But it is ridiculous to think that Missouri State or Southern Illinois would move up. Missouri State has never done ANYTHING siginificant at I-AA/FCS. Why do you think the Bears would have a prayer of moving up? Southern Illinois was talking about DROPPING football altogether just a half-a-dozen years ago before Jerry Kill arrived. They still don't draw well enough to make ANY move and they are still building their program. The Salukis have a lot to accomplish in FCS first. Illinois State is talking about a move, but it is more goofy talk than serious talk. The Redbirds have tons of obstacles to overcome, first and foremost support. ISU is another team that had done little in FCS until making the playoffs this season.

I'd love to see Wichita State as an FCS member in the years to come. Prove yourself there before running amok with delusions of FBS grandeur.

BearsCountry
April 17th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Someone already tarred and feathered you for the Division I referrence, so I'll leave that be. But it is ridiculous to think that Missouri State or Southern Illinois would move up. Missouri State has never done ANYTHING siginificant at I-AA/FCS. Why do you think the Bears would have a prayer of moving up? Southern Illinois was talking about DROPPING football altogether just a half-a-dozen years ago before Jerry Kill arrived. They still don't draw well enough to make ANY move and they are still building their program. The Salukis have a lot to accomplish in FCS first. Illinois State is talking about a move, but it is more goofy talk than serious talk. The Redbirds have tons of obstacles to overcome, first and foremost support. ISU is another team that had done little in FCS until making the playoffs this season.

I'd love to see Wichita State as an FCS member in the years to come. Prove yourself there before running amok with delusions of FBS grandeur.

Its bc the MVC has bigger dreams than being a mid-major and FBS is better exposure for that. Everybody hates the idea of teams moving up to FBS but get all excited when a team does it from D2. If the school thinks it will be better for the school, then more power to them.

Fresno St. Alum
April 17th, 2007, 09:39 PM
BearCountry, Its just like how all the D-II people bash the school moving to D-I, Here you get bashed if you move from FCS to FBS.

However I don't see the MVC moving to FBS, the whole conference move up thing is just to hard to do.

GeauxColonels
April 17th, 2007, 10:14 PM
BearCountry, Its just like how all the D-II people bash the school moving to D-I, Here you get bashed if you move from FCS to FBS.

However I don't see the MVC moving to FBS, the whole conference move up thing is just to hard to do.
I think the issue is that we've seen some schools move up from DII and be successful in I-AA/FCS. Except for extremely limited success with a few former I-AA schools going to bowl games (if you can call that success), most moves to I-A/FBS have left these programs at the bottom of the barrel. Also, I think many people here have a deep hatred for the bowl system that FBS uses...which realistically limits the "BCS National Champion" to mainly BCS schools.

In FCS, theoretically all teams have a chance at a national title at the beginning of the season (unless the team schedules games after the playoffs state, the league doesn't participate in the playoffs, or the school is a transitional school). And before I hear it from the San Diego fans, yes you do have a shot at the playoffs....just improve your schedule and continue the recent success of the program.

Fresno St. Alum
April 17th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Yes that is true, I do hate that FBS has bowls and Boise St. goes 13-0 and doesn't even get to play in the championship. What can I do but hope they have a playoff. Fresno St. isn't going to the FCS, so I'll hope for a regional whogivesaratsass.com bowl. At least me and the other Fresno fans will care about it.

appfan2008
April 17th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I think the next wave may become very serious for fcs football if in the next 10 years schools like jmu, ysu, gsu, asu, and montana move up then the fcs may be reeling...

also etsu was mentioned as possibly coming back but unfortunately their students turned that down

Mr. C
April 17th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Its bc the MVC has bigger dreams than being a mid-major and FBS is better exposure for that. Everybody hates the idea of teams moving up to FBS but get all excited when a team does it from D2. If the school thinks it will be better for the school, then more power to them.
But do you really want to see your school struggle at the absolute bottom of FBS (with one team from the MVC getting in a bowl game if you are lucky)? Missouri State doesn't have a prayer of success at FBS right now, so why make the move? Do you really think that it has helped Arkansas State and Louisiana-Monroe have "BETTER" exposure?

Fresno St. Alum
April 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Arkansas St. went to a bowl at least ULM nothing, just big pay days for body bag games.xsmhx

Mr. C
April 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Yeah, Arkansas State has played in what, the Toilet Bowl. No one cares about the Sun Belt's bowl representative. Arkansas State is just as bad as all of those other Sun Belt teams.

Fresno St. Alum
April 17th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Arkansas St. cares, Sun Belt Commish, mmmm yup thats about it.

appfan2008
April 17th, 2007, 10:56 PM
But do you really want to see your school struggle at the absolute bottom of FBS (with one team from the MVC getting in a bowl game if you are lucky)? Missouri State doesn't have a prayer of success at FBS right now, so why make the move? Do you really think that it has helped Arkansas State and Louisiana-Monroe have "BETTER" exposure?
obviously those schools made some big mistakes... what i dont understand is why schools still want to move up as well... they are all gonna suck to

GeauxColonels
April 17th, 2007, 11:02 PM
obviously those schools made some big mistakes... what i dont understand is why schools still want to move up as well... they are all gonna suck to
I guess you can look at it in the same sense as why big-time college coaches still try their hand at the NFL game. Butch Davis, Nick Saban, Dennis Erickson....it's pretty hard to succeed at that next level. I'm expecting the same from Bobby Petrino in Atlanta.

I guess they all want to be the one to prove to everyone that they're wrong and that a college coach can once again make the transition to the NFL....just like schools stating that they can successfully move to FBS.

appfan2008
April 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I guess you can look at it in the same sense as why big-time college coaches still try their hand at the NFL game. Butch Davis, Nick Saban, Dennis Erickson....it's pretty hard to succeed at that next level. I'm expecting the same from Bobby Petrino in Atlanta.

I guess they all want to be the one to prove to everyone that they're wrong and that a college coach can once again make the transition to the NFL....just like schools stating that they can successfully move to FBS.
I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment and unfortunately I am huge falcons fan and truly I am worried about that situation. I dont know why we went in petrino's direction... I would have liked an established nfl guy but we will have to wait and see maybe vick needs that college mindset...

thinking about vick makes me think about vt again... how sad :(

BearsCountry
April 17th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Bash the Sun Belt all you guys want but still week in and week out gets more money and respect nationally than FCS.

Mr. C
April 17th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Appalachian State was on national television seven times on the ESPN networks in the past two seasons. How many times you think all of those Sun Belt teams have made ESPN appearances in the past two years? The truth is that Sun Belt teams would have a tough time competing with a lot of Southern Conference, A-10/CAA, Gateway and Big Sky teams. I don't think those teams in the Sun Belt are getting ANYONE'S respect.

Fresno St. Alum
April 18th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Sun Belt, TV games are like on tuesdays or wednesdays