PDA

View Full Version : ICON Football Head Coach: The Search Begins

MACHIAVELLI
December 22nd, 2006, 08:33 AM
Names now popping up for Grambling
2004 applicant Cole, among others, wants to be GSU coach
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — Grambling State's search for a new football coach is beginning to take shape.
Former Alabama State coach L.C. Cole is working on his application. Hawaii assistant Jerry Glanville is not.

Both were in the mix during the 2004 search that ultimately led to the hiring of Melvin Spears. Grambling fired Spears on Monday, however, after a 3-8 season. Other early confirmed candidates include: Former GSU assistant Dennis "Dirt" Winston, who also applied in 2004; Alabama-Birmingham defensive backs coach George Pugh; and former LSU assistant Kenny Carter.
"I think I could take Grambling back to where it once was," Cole said.

Now athletics director at Sidney Lanier High in Montgomery, Ala., Cole was dismissed from Alabama State as it mounted consecutive runs to the Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship Game in 2003-04.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200612 22/SPORTS/612220345

mikebigg
December 22nd, 2006, 09:05 AM
According to the ICON's "iconic" Beatwriter:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/index.html

Thursday, December 21, 2006
Youth summit

Already, I'm seeing an interesting subplot in the names being batted around to replace Melvin Spears as Grambling's head football coach.

There are many who are young, perhaps shockingly so.

Still, I'm buying into that. And not just because Eddie Robinson was in his early 20s when he took over at GSU. (Though, yeah, that turned out pretty well.)

Take Vanderbilt running backs coach Kenny Carter, an emerging talent given the additional duties of recruiting coordinator earlier this year at age 38.

Personally, I like the fact that we have some new blood being mentioned and not just a recycling of the old names. As far as I can tell, the names mentioned are all Black men. I would like to see others apply and be given the opportunity to interview for the position.

henfan
December 22nd, 2006, 09:17 AM
I can't imagine a great university like GSU hiring a miscreant like L.C. Cole. Apparently, no other school is willing to touch him either.

Grambling's got the name & rep to attract a host of more-than-qualified applicants. :thumbsup:

dbackjon
December 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
Kenny Carter would be a great choice.

Sir William
December 22nd, 2006, 05:42 PM
Kenny Carter would be a great choice.

Kenny Carter would be an outstanding choice, but knowing Kenny and his Socon background (played at Citadel and coached at Furman), I doubt he's going to be interested in coaching at a school with no shot at the national championship (even with the caliber of a program like Grambling).

MACHIAVELLI
December 22nd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Kenny Carter would be an outstanding choice, but knowing Kenny and his Socon background (played at Citadel and coached at Furman), I doubt he's going to be interested in coaching at a school with no shot at the national championship (even with the caliber of a program like Grambling).

This was taken from an email sent to Kenny Carter on Thursday, December 21, 2006 12:01 PM

Have you applied to the Head Coaching job at Grambling?

With extreme enthusiasm! Yes, I have applied for the opportunity to earn the privilege to become the Head Football Coach at Grambling State University.

Respectfully,
Kenny Carter

3rd Coast Tiger
December 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Many AGS posters need to be honest with themselves and get over that "No shot at a national championship" crap and realize the potential of $150K per year that's on the table.

th0m
December 22nd, 2006, 06:27 PM
There was one poster that posted that. I think most of the other posters here on AGS realize that a headcoaching job at Grambling is definitely a very prestigious opportunity at a storied and well-known program.

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
Many AGS posters need to be honest with themselves and get over that "No shot at a national championship" crap and realize the potential of $150K per year that's on the table.

No doubt...

SWAC pays well to their coaching staffs...

They don't get national titles, but SWAC schools put priority in getting good football coaches, just look at TxSo plucking Wilson from Howard.

Wilson makes more money than SHSU's head coach and just as much as SFA's old head coach. I think Bailiff may make more at TXST...but that's on the low-end of the SWAC pay scale. I know JSU, SU and Grambling pay more...

Mr. C
December 22nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Names now popping up for Grambling
2004 applicant Cole, among others, wants to be GSU coach
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — Grambling State's search for a new football coach is beginning to take shape.
Former Alabama State coach L.C. Cole is working on his application. Hawaii assistant Jerry Glanville is not.

Both were in the mix during the 2004 search that ultimately led to the hiring of Melvin Spears. Grambling fired Spears on Monday, however, after a 3-8 season. Other early confirmed candidates include: Former GSU assistant Dennis "Dirt" Winston, who also applied in 2004; Alabama-Birmingham defensive backs coach George Pugh; and former LSU assistant Kenny Carter.
"I think I could take Grambling back to where it once was," Cole said.

Now athletics director at Sidney Lanier High in Montgomery, Ala., Cole was dismissed from Alabama State as it mounted consecutive runs to the Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship Game in 2003-04.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200612 22/SPORTS/612220345
I can't believe that Grambling would ever consider L.C. Cole, who has a shaddy reputation and has been one step ahead of the NCAA police at Tennessee State and Alabama A&M. You probably would win with Cole, but you would likely find yourself on probation too.

Sir William
December 22nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
There was one poster that posted that. I think most of the other posters here on AGS realize that a headcoaching job at Grambling is definitely a very prestigious opportunity at a storied and well-known program.

Look guys, I meant absolutely no offense. If you re-read my initial reply, I am highly complimentary of Grambling (and by virtue, the SWAC). As I said, I think Kenny Carter would be a great coach at Grambling, and I would be thrilled to see him get the opportunity. Don't assume I was smacking...I wasn't.

And I also understand the $$ thing in regard to the SWAC championship. It's jeust a shame that the SWAC champion has to forego the playoffs. I can remember when Jackson State and Alcorn State were legit playoff threats back in the '80s.

All said, don't be so quick to jump to conclusions about a post.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 22nd, 2006, 11:09 PM
No doubt...

SWAC pays well to their coaching staffs...

They don't get national titles, but SWAC schools put priority in getting good football coaches, just look at TxSo plucking Wilson from Howard.

Wilson makes more money than SHSU's head coach and just as much as SFA's old head coach. I think Bailiff may make more at TXST...but that's on the low-end of the SWAC pay scale. I know JSU, SU and Grambling pay more...

Can you tell us how much Wilson makes?

MACHIAVELLI
December 22nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
I can't believe that Grambling would ever consider L.C. Cole, who has a shaddy reputation and has been one step ahead of the NCAA police at Tennessee State and Alabama A&M. You probably would win with Cole, but you would likely find yourself on probation too.

You mean that other Bama...Alabama St.

Mr. C
December 22nd, 2006, 11:51 PM
You mean that other Bama...Alabama St.
Thanks for the correction. My mind was thinking Alabama State and my fingers were typing Alabama A&M for some strange reason.

TexasTerror
December 23rd, 2006, 08:50 AM
Can you tell us how much Wilson makes?

Wasn't Wilson making somewhere between 105k and 115k? I recall seeing that at one point or another...

MACHIAVELLI
December 23rd, 2006, 10:14 AM
SWAC Head Football Coaches Salaries (2005)
Southern University Pete Richardson $200,000
Jackson State Rik Comegy $155,000 (as of 2006)
Grambling State Melvin Spears $150,000
Prairie View Henry Frazier $125,000
Arkansas-Pine Bluff Mo Forte $118,000
Alabama State Charles Coe $115,000
Alabama A&M Anthony Jones $107,000
Texas Southern Steve Wilson $105,000
Mississippi Valley State Willie Totten $85,000
Alcorn State Johnny Thomas $75,000

3rd Coast Tiger
December 23rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
2006 Football Salary for Steve Wilson: $118,965